PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Maryland Pre-Game and In-Game Thread (ACCT)

Bob Green
03-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Let's get the discussion going! Maryland has defeated NC State and will be desperate to beat Duke in order to try and earn an NCAA Tournament bid. We need to show up ready to bring it for 40 minutes as the Terps have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

We've defeated Maryland twice this season: 71-64 in Durham and 80-62 in College Park. In the first game, Singler scored 25, Smith 18 and Curry 12. In the second game, Singler scored 22, Smith 21, Mason Plumlee 12 and Andre Dawkins 11.

Jordan Williams had a double-double in both games for the Terps.

Kedsy
03-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Let's get the discussion going! Maryland has defeated NC State and will be desperate to beat Duke in order to try and earn an NCAA Tournament bid. We need to show up ready to bring it for 40 minutes as the Terps have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'm not sure a win by Maryland in this game will get them into the field. They have 13 losses and are 98th in the RPI. At this point I think Maryland probably has to win the tourney to get in.

That said, I also believe they will play us tough. I hope Nolan and the others meant it when they said they were angry. It would be nice to see us playing at peak intensity for the rest of the season.

Newton_14
03-10-2011, 09:28 PM

We've defeated Maryland twice this season: 71-64 in Durham and 80-62 in College Park. In the first game, Singler scored 25, Smith 18 and Curry 12. In the second game, Singler scored 22, Smith 21, Mason Plumlee 12 and Andre Dawkins 11.

The first half of the game at Maryland our offensive approach was very refreshing. We used a lot of motion, involving all 5 players and creating good looks for multiple players. We also made it a point to go to Mason early and often. I thought it was the best our offense had looked in the post-Kyrie portion of the season and hoped we would build on that in future games. However, in the 2nd half, we went away from that and ran the high pick with Nolan and Mason a lot. But, we also went to Singler many times and I believe Kyle scored something like 11 or 13 straight points for us at one point. Down the stretch though, we went back to motion and got some really great looks for Andre and Seth and both came through.

I loved the offensive approach in that game, and I hope we take that same philosophy into tomorrow nights game. Miles is coming off a solid game, and Andre looked good on defense in the UNC game as well. We need both of those guys to contribute tomorrow evening. If they do, and Ryan Kelly can bounce back as well, it will be a huge boost for the team.

Getting Kyle going again with the mid-range jumpers, drives, and post ups would be nice to see as well. He is overdue to bust out of the slump in a big way. This weekend would be great timing for that.

On defense, the Williams kid will get his, so we need to take away the 3-Ball, and make every mid-range shot for Maryland difficult. Our guys need to communicate on defense, close out on shooters, rotate to help on time, and then finish the "stop" by boxing out and securing the rebound. Maryland crashes the offensive glass relentlessly, and we need to make them pay for that by boxing out, and then hitting the quick outlet pass to generate fast break and secondary breaks looking to score quickly. If Maryland presses, we need to punish them by looking to break the press for a score, rather than breaking the press and then pulling out to set up the half-court offense. That will be key.

Maryland will put forth a good effort and it will be a battle for sure. We will need to play at a high level and match their intensity right out of the gate, and avoid the "slow start" we have seen so many times down the stretch.

I would love to see us jump out and put the opponent in a hole before the first tv timeout and let our guys see the ball go in the hole early and often. That would be a great way to start this tourney off for Duke.

#1Duke
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Much of what happens in tomorrows game will depend on the play of Singler.
If he shows up, I think we'll be good.
If not, it could be a long game.

-bdbd
03-10-2011, 09:31 PM

Was looking at the box score from their game tonight -- http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20110310_NCST@MD -- and it looks like Gary tried to spread out his minutes a little better than normal, possibly to rest his guys for tomorrow. Not that NCSU was a blow-out at all. But Jordan Williams was the only Terp with more than 28 minutes (he logged 36 min). However nobody off the bench had more than 20 minutes. MD outrebounded NCSU, but not by a whole lot.

It seems to me that we already know them pretty well, and even though all the Kerlina and other fans will root for MD, we should have a pretty good gameplan ready. They don't shoot too well from the outside, and can be expected to pound it in to Williams. We need MP2 and MP1 and Ryan to have good defensive games. We can wear him down tomorrow.

Would be really nice to get out early on them, get any adverse crowd out of the mix, and maybe rest folks a little if possible. You know Gary will have them pumped and ready for Duke.

Chris Randolph
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Kyle played very well both games against Maryland, especially on offense. I'm sure the confidence he has been lacking on offense will be given a boost seeing Maryland as the opponent.

Expect a close first half, maybe even trailing by a bit at half. Then we gut out the win by 7

-bdbd
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure a win by Maryland in this game will get them into the field. They have 13 losses and are 98th in the RPI. At this point I think Maryland probably has to win the tourney to get in.

That said, I also believe they will play us tough. I hope Nolan and the others meant it when they said they were angry. It would be nice to see us playing at peak intensity for the rest of the season.

Probably true, but that isn't what Gary is telling his guys -- "beat Duke and we could be in!" If they believe him, that is all that matters. They'll be motivated. :(

Kedsy
03-10-2011, 09:48 PM
They'll be motivated. :(

Well, at this point in the season everyone should be motivated. Including us. Maryland's extra motivation will only matter if we come out flat. I'm hoping, based on the statements by the players after the UNC game, that we've learned that particular lesson.

Chris Randolph
03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
Why are we debating the motivation and fire of Maryland? Pointless in my opinion. Of course they will be ready to play, heck if they were ready to play against NC State, I'm certain they will be ready for Duke

Duke just needs to be Duke, regardless of how pumped up Gary and the Terps are

jv001
03-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, at this point in the season everyone should be motivated. Including us. Maryland's extra motivation will only matter if we come out flat. I'm hoping, based on the statements by the players after the UNC game, that we've learned that particular lesson.

I agree. If we can't come out motivated by now, I've underestimated this team. We have had so many slow starts this year(unc game included) and that's so un-Duke like. I hope Nolan get's the teams attention and we come out playing great defense and hit our shots. Then we will be fine. Go Duke!

sagegrouse
03-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's what I am thinking, in the rare moments I am not preparing for the Sage Grouse Lek, which gets rolling in about ten days here in the mountains. Except maybe for the first one, these are pretty obvious --

1. Does the emergence of Stoglin fundamentally change the nature of the Terps? Duke has had good matchups with Maryland the last few years, with the exception of Greivis farewell night, and most of the games have not been close. Williams and Stoglin give Maryland a powerful combination of a center and a penetrating guard. Is Maryland -- despite recent losses -- a much tougher matchup now?

2. Will Duke be productive (above 35%) from behind the arc? A focus on "recency" tends to color judgment, but the question has to be asked.

3. Will the ACC tournament mark a resurgence of Kyle Singler, who has been an effective player all four years at Duke, and who won All-ACC honors each year.

4. Will the strategy be to (a) shut down Williams or (b) let him get his points in one-on-one coverage but keep the rest of the Terps in check?

5. Does all-everything Nolan also get the job of shutting down Stoglin?

6. Whose the third (and fourth) scorer for Duke? Scoring from mulitple players will be important from here on, and Seth, Mason, Andre and Ryan have stepped up at various times. Will Seth continue his strong play (except at VT).

sagegrouse

UrinalCake
03-10-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree that the game in College Park showed some great offensive diversity, but much of it was necessitated by Smith and Singler each getting two fouls in the first half. Hopefully that won't happen again. Tyler played well both times against them, hopefully he can have another positive impact.

Newton_14
03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
I agree that the game in College Park showed some great offensive diversity, but much of it was necessitated by Smith and Singler each getting two fouls in the first half. Hopefully that won't happen again. Tyler played well both times against them, hopefully he can have another positive impact.

I remember the foul trouble which forced us to play several minutes without Kyle and Nolan on the floor, but out of the gate our offensive approach was more diverse even with those two guys on the floor prior to the foul trouble. We started the game by going to Mason the first 2 or 3 possessions. We were running great motion and using all 5 guys right out of the gate.

Then the foul trouble came and like you indicate, it forced us to do all of the above without Kyle and Nolan and for the most part the young guys performed really well and actually increased the lead. (We did have a mini-meltdown in the final minute prior to the half)

Kedsy
03-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Whose the third (and fourth) scorer for Duke? Scoring from mulitple players will be important from here on, and Seth, Mason, Andre and Ryan have stepped up at various times. Will Seth continue his strong play (except at VT).

Can I just say I think the idea of needing a "reliable third scorer" is overrated on this board? As FellowTraveler noted on a different thread, how many teams have a 22 point scorer, a 17 point scorer, and then a third guy averaging double figures? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess not many, if any. I agree that scoring from multiple players will be somewhat important, but as long as somebody steps up in each game, why is it important that it's always the same guy?

Also, while I'm a big fan of Seth's and agree he's played well over the past couple months, it is worth noting that he's only scored in double figures twice in his past six games.

Vincetaylor
03-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Can I just say I think the idea of needing a "reliable third scorer" is overrated on this board? As FellowTraveler noted on a different thread, how many teams have a 22 point scorer, a 17 point scorer, and then a third guy averaging double figures? I don't know for sure, but I'd guess not many, if any. I agree that scoring from multiple players will be somewhat important, but as long as somebody steps up in each game, why is it important that it's always the same guy?

Also, while I'm a big fan of Seth's and agree he's played well over the past couple months, it is worth noting that he's only scored in double figures twice in his past six games.

The problem is we have guys who play a lot of minutes who sometime only put up 0-2 points. When that happens, we better have a 3rd double digit scorer or we won't be scoring enough points to beat good teams.

ThePublisher
03-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Assuming Kyrie doesn't return for the ACCT,Singler is the key to our success and beatingunc in the final.

Kedsy
03-11-2011, 12:44 AM
The problem is we have guys who play a lot of minutes who sometime only put up 0-2 points. When that happens, we better have a 3rd double digit scorer or we won't be scoring enough points to beat good teams.

I may not have made my point clear enough. I think we have plenty of potential scorers. We have 7 different players who have put up 20+ points in a game this year. In almost every game someone (or two) have stepped up. Since ACC play started (19 games total, including UAB, St Johns, & Temple), in every game but three our third leading scorer has had 9 or more points (and in those three our third guy had 8, 8, and 7). In every game but four, our fourth leading scorer has had at least 8 points (and in those four our fourth guy had 7, 7, 6, and 4).

First of all, I don't see what's so important about a "3rd double digit scorer" if our third and fourth guys are scoring at least 8 or 9 in every game. Second, I don't see why the third scorer has to be consistent -- what's wrong with the 3rd and 4th guy being different every game?

ncexnyc
03-11-2011, 01:09 AM
I may not have made my point clear enough. I think we have plenty of potential scorers. We have 7 different players who have put up 20+ points in a game this year. In almost every game someone (or two) have stepped up. Since ACC play started (19 games total, including UAB, St Johns, & Temple), in every game but three our third leading scorer has had 9 or more points (and in those three our third guy had 8, 8, and 7). In every game but four, our fourth leading scorer has had at least 8 points (and in those four our fourth guy had 7, 7, 6, and 4).

First of all, I don't see what's so important about a "3rd double digit scorer" if our third and fourth guys are scoring at least 8 or 9 in every game. Second, I don't see why the third scorer has to be consistent -- what's wrong with the 3rd and 4th guy being different every game?
Don't you think it would make life a lot easier for the staff to prepare a game plan if they knew what player/players they could depend on night in and night out? As you've pointed out we've had a number of players go over 20+ at some point in the season, unfortunately those very same players are just as likely to put up a goose egg the very next game. (Nolan and Kyle excluded) It certainly looked like our plan of attack last Saturday was to have Ryan spot up in the corner in an attempt to draw out the big that was guarding him. Unfortunately that scheme was a total failure as Ryan had a terrible shooting night.

jammsb
03-11-2011, 03:43 AM
What time is the game?

jammsb
03-11-2011, 04:58 AM
I'll answer my own question - 7.00PM ESPN 2 & 3

Rogue
03-11-2011, 07:05 AM
mount up men, ride to the sound of the cannon fire, there's a war to be fought this weekend

Saratoga2
03-11-2011, 07:54 AM

Do you think the players may less positive statements following our other losses? Yet they still have had games where the shooting was poor and they seemed flat shortly after losing.

I don't care about their statements, what I want to see is execution. Get back quickly on defense, block out on the boards, stay away from the stupendous plays to avoid turnovers and finally, play a halfcourt game. If we can do those things, we still need to be able to hit shots.

If we can win and not burn out our superior players we will have done the job well tonight.

Bob Green
03-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Can I just say I think the idea of needing a "reliable third scorer" is overrated on this board?

I agree with you a "reliable third scorer" is not needed. However, we do need a third scorer each game. With four guys capable of scoring in double figures at any time, we just need one of Curry, Mason, Dawkins or Kelly to have a good offensive game. We need to be able to punish any opponent who attempts to focus their defense upon Smith and Singler.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2011, 08:30 AM
I agree with you a "reliable third scorer" is not needed. However, we do need a third scorer each game. With four guys capable of scoring in double figures at any time, we just need one of Curry, Mason, Dawkins or Kelly to have a good offensive game. We need to be able to punish any opponent who attempts to focus their defense upon Smith and Singler.

Focusing defenses on Smith rarely, if at all, works. The fact that he hasn't scored less than 18 points in any ACC game tells a lot about Smith's ability to defeat anything thrown at him.

But, I digress. Completely agree with you on the importance of a third scorer every game. Will certainly help to keep defenses honest.

burns15
03-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Assuming Kyrie doesn't return for the ACCT,Singler is the key to our success and beatingunc in the final.

Hold up there, first we have to win tonight against Maryland. Im not concerned about the ACC Championship game right now, instead first I want to win tonight so we can make it to the semifinals and then we can worry about playing UNC and whatnot later. As we have seen in the regular season, we cant assume that Duke will just breeze right through to the title game, tonight will be a dogfight. I hope Kyle brings his A game because we will need it.

Matches
03-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Despite their win last night, Maryland really didn't play particularly well. It was like watching two people try to stab each other to death with blunt forks.

I expect them to play better tonight, and given that they've had a day to get their collective feet wet (or sweaty?), we need to guard against one of our all-too-characteristic slow starts. I expect we'll try to establish Kyle early, perhaps by going inside. Getting Williams in early foul trouble would cripple UMd.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Singler's play is the key to our team, regardless.

-jk
03-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I'll answer my own question - 7.00PM ESPN 2 & 3

It's on Raycom affiliates in ACC markets.

-jk

CarmenWallaceWade
03-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Singler's play is the key to our team, regardless.

It would be great to see Ma Plumlee and Kelly have solid games tonight and for Dawkins to get back into the mix. Obviously getting those guys involved stretches the defense which takes some of the focus (and pressue) off Smith and Singler. Plus it would create some momentum for the next game (yes, I'm confident we win tonight).

dukebluesincebirth
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
The journey begins tonight folks. This is a new season. I love this time of year, especially with Duke and Coach K. He does such a great job of making this time of year unique. At this point, kids who might of been struggling with certain aspects of the game can hit the "reset" button and start anew.
For this particular team, I see this as a great opportunity for Andre to become Andre again. Also a great time for Kyle to get back in usual form (as we know he can do from last year) and for Ryan K. to get his 3ball to fall. And most of all, the last opportunity to shine for our ACC POY Nolan Smith. I think Nolan is going to put on a show for the country to see this March and leave us all with the pleasant memories of his brilliance.

Lets put it all together and make another great run, starting tonight! GO DEVILS!!!!

superdave
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM

After the first game vs. Unc, Seth admitted he often found himself standing around watching Kyle and Nolan. He said his brother pointed that out to him and told him he needed to work harder off the ball to get open. So he did and attacked Unc's D to great effect.

I think there is a danger in becoming both too predictible and stagnant on offense with just having two guys take the bulk of the shots every game. We're talented enough to find the D's weaknesses and exploit them at all 5 matchups.

So I'm not worried about a reliable 3rd scorer so much as I'm worried that we keep everyone involved in the offense because that puts more pressure on the defense than 2 on 5. I like Ryan Kelly taking elbow jumpers and corner 3s because that is the hole in the D. If you can exploit the weakness, you can score a lot and maybe make them change things up to a more favorable set for you.

Matches
03-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Right now I'd settle for a reliable 2nd scorer. If we accomplish nothing else this weekend, we need to get Kyle back on track. This team will not play much longer without a fully-functioning Singler.

gw67
03-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I expect the Devils to play very well tonight coming off the loss to UNC. I expect Singler to have another terrific game against the Terps. He is a matchup nightmare for them. The 6-3 Mosley simply cannot guard him and they may try the bigger Palsson on him for a while. Relying on a 6-6 inexperienced freshman against a 6-8 skilled, experienced and physical player is not a recipe for success on their part. The Terps have also made supporting players (McDonald of UNC; Brown of Miami; and Zelinski of UVA) look like All Americans in recent games. Therefore, I expect Curry and/or Kelly to have a big game. Since they played the Devils 12 or 13 games ago, Stoglin has taken a bigger role in the offense, the team foul shooting has improved (e.g. Williams is shooting 74% for last 13 games) and the team defense is not nearly as good. At this point in time, I expect Duke to win by double figures.

gw67

superdave
03-11-2011, 09:51 AM
Here's what I am thinking, in the rare moments I am not preparing for the Sage Grouse Lek, which gets rolling in about ten days here in the mountains. Except maybe for the first one, these are pretty obvious --

1. Does the emergence of Stoglin fundamentally change the nature of the Terps?
2. Will Duke be productive (above 35%) from behind the arc?
3. Will the ACC tournament mark a resurgence of Kyle Singler,
4. Will the strategy be to (a) shut down Williams or (b) let him get his points
5. Does all-everything Nolan also get the job of shutting down Stoglin?
6. Whose the third (and fourth) scorer for Duke? sagegrouse

We doubled down on Williams a lot, usually bringing over either Kyle or Ryan when he got the ball on the blocks. To some extent that works well because Williams has a bad supporting cast that he does not trust to knock down jumpers. The caveat is that we dont want to leave the lane exposed to slashers. So it's important that a third guy fills the lane to cut off the dump off pass by Williams. He can get his 20-10 as long as we force everyone into jumpers and not layups.

Tyler played really well for a spurt in the first game vs. Maryland and got 4 steals. Seth had 9 points in the key stretch where we reclaimed the lead. But our front line did not look so great with Mason fouling out. Mason had 12-11 in the 2nd matchup though.

I would expecter a longer bench tonight with the hopes of getting to play again tomorrow. And by longer bench, I mean Kyle and Nolan actually come out for a few plays in the first half unless we're down. The best case scenario is for a strong start to deflated the crowd and dispirit the Terps.

UrinalCake
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Right now I'd settle for a reliable 2nd scorer. If we accomplish nothing else this weekend, we need to get Kyle back on track. This team will not play much longer without a fully-functioning Singler.

That's the thing - when people talk about needing a "third scorer," they're assuming that Smith and Singler are our two reliable scorers. But Singler hasn't been scoring very well lately, and he's been taking a lot of shots. If Smith and Singler each scored 20 every game we'd be fine, but in reality we need something like last year where we had three main guys and in any given game two of them would score close to 20.

wilson
03-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Much has been made of the fact that the team needs to shoot better, and that's absolutely correct. However, I'd like to see overall focus shift just a bit, from shooting to scoring. In the games in both Blacksburg and chapel hill (and also going back to Tallahassee), it has seemed to me as if our knee-jerk reaction to a deficit is to settle even more into a jump-shooting team philosophy. Especially on nights when those shots just aren't falling for whatever reason, be it good defense, unfamiliar environs, or simply an off performance, that is a recipe for disaster. This team has two monster matchup problems for opposing defenses, in Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, who are both capable of creating something much more high-percentage than a 20-footer on pretty much any possession. If those two look to create a little bit more, it should open up the court for more straightforward shooters, like Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins. I also think that a bit more proactive approach on offense could do much to "get the bigs more involved," a frequently expressed desire around here in recent weeks.
Stagnation on offense has looked to me to be a real problem of late. I hope that the boys will come out this evening with more of an attacking mentality, rather than assuming that eventually "shots will start falling." Doubtless, they will, but more overall aggression and creativity would, in my opinion, help to chip that lid off the basket.

dukebluesincebirth
03-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Much has been made of the fact that the team needs to shoot better, and that's absolutely correct. However, I'd like to see overall focus shift just a bit, from shooting to scoring. In the games in both Blacksburg and chapel hill (and also going back to Tallahassee), it has seemed to me as if our knee-jerk reaction to a deficit is to settle even more into a jump-shooting team philosophy. Especially on nights when those shots just aren't falling for whatever reason, be it good defense, unfamiliar environs, or simply an off performance, that is a recipe for disaster. This team has two monster matchup problems for opposing defenses, in Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, who are both capable of creating something much more high-percentage than a 20-footer on pretty much any possession. If those two look to create a little bit more, it should open up the court for more straightforward shooters, like Seth Curry and Andre Dawkins. I also think that a bit more proactive approach on offense could do much to "get the bigs more involved," a frequently expressed desire around here in recent weeks.
Stagnation on offense has looked to me to be a real problem of late. I hope that the boys will come out this evening with more of an attacking mentality, rather than assuming that eventually "shots will start falling." Doubtless, they will, but more overall aggression and creativity would, in my opinion, help to chip that lid off the basket.

I couldn't agree more with the "scoring" as opposed to "shooting" comment. I've been saying this to my friends after many games this year. It seems like we shoot ourselves into a hole with missing long jumpers, then try to dig out of the hole by shooting more long jumpers. We shouldn't always have to make long shots to score.

Your comments about Nolan and Kyle creating shots are right on, but I think that's been Kyle's main problem this season: creating his own shot off the dribble. Quicker defenders seem to be beating him to his next spot on the offensive end and he hasn't been able to adjust too well.

Obviously Nolan has NO trouble creating his own stuff off the dribble, but I think Kyle needs help from the other 4 on the court at this point, and this is totally possible. I look for this to start happening tonight.

elvis14
03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm really looking forward to the game tonight. I'd really like to us come out focussed and take control of the game early. As much as I like to see lots of guys involved in the offense, I think I'd like to see Nolan come out and try to put up some early points. Sometimes our slow starts seem like they come from Nolan deferring to others for a while. You da Man, Nolan! Be the man from the opening tip and when the defense makes adjustments to stop you....everyone else will get theirs and get theirs more easily.

Much of what happens in tomorrows game will depend on the play of Singler.
If he shows up, I think we'll be good.
If not, it could be a long game.

For the record, Kyle always shows up and he always makes a positive difference. Now his shooting is another matter and with UMd's lack of size it would be great to see Kyle go to work inside the paint and improve his shot selection so he's not jacking up 3's and long jumpers.

Assuming Kyrie doesn't return for the ACCT, Singler is the key to our success and beating unc in the final.

Hold on now, let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's not a good idea to assume that UNC@CH will make it to the finals. They could lose this afternoon or tomorrow if a team can get hot! Go Miami!

ChicagoCrazy84
03-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I expect the Devils to play very well tonight coming off the loss to UNC. I expect Singler to have another terrific game against the Terps. He is a matchup nightmare for them. The 6-3 Mosley simply cannot guard him and they may try the bigger Palsson on him for a while. Relying on a 6-6 inexperienced freshman against a 6-8 skilled, experienced and physical player is not a recipe for success on their part. The Terps have also made supporting players (McDonald of UNC; Brown of Miami; and Zelinski of UVA) look like All Americans in recent games. Therefore, I expect Curry and/or Kelly to have a big game. Since they played the Devils 12 or 13 games ago, Stoglin has taken a bigger role in the offense, the team foul shooting has improved (e.g. Williams is shooting 74% for last 13 games) and the team defense is not nearly as good. At this point in time, I expect Duke to win by double figures.

gw67

True about your first point, but didn't we say that against UVA not too long ago and Kyle went for 2 pts? It's not about matchups for Kyle, he should be able to get his against anyone. Its just about confidence, but I do expect him to have a nice game. I would love to see Ryan hit some shots again like he was in the middle of the season. I thought we were at our best when he was shooting well so that'd be nice to see going into the post-season.

Quick question though. In the off chance that we lose tonight, what seed do you think we get? Are we a lock for a 2 seed or do we possibly drop to 3?

Jeff Frosh
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't you think it would make life a lot easier for the staff to prepare a game plan if they knew what player/players they could depend on night in and night out? As you've pointed out we've had a number of players go over 20+ at some point in the season, unfortunately those very same players are just as likely to put up a goose egg the very next game. (Nolan and Kyle excluded) It certainly looked like our plan of attack last Saturday was to have Ryan spot up in the corner in an attempt to draw out the big that was guarding him. Unfortunately that scheme was a total failure as Ryan had a terrible shooting night.

This is a valid point, but maybe the converse is even more important, which is that the opponent's staff will have a difficult time preparing a defensive game plan if they don't know who our third scorer might be. Perhaps with Maryland this really doesn't matter, since their game plan against us seems to be to stop Nolan at all costs, which could explain why he shot poorly in both regular season games. However, as has been stated, Kyle was our leading scorer in both games, and this would be a great opportunity for him to break out of his shooting slump in a big way.

tele
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Now that the tourney season has arrived, hopefully the focus will be on the team goals of winning championships and not on individual roles, minutes, stats, records, awards, honors or draft status. I'd like to see that focus reflected on the court in cohesive play on offense and defense and indicators like assisted baskets (about a third of made field goals would be good), offensive rebounds ( double figure total would be welcome), and charges taken (two or three would be nice to see). These are the kind of team stats that pick up or boost your teammates and makes your team hard to beat. Of course three or four players in double figures never hurts...:) Go Duke!!

Kedsy
03-11-2011, 11:36 AM

You know, I really don't. Although I understand why you disagree. As much as some of us fans rag on some of our more inconsistent players, we have a very dynamic roster. Coach K always talks about putting the kids in a position to make plays, and every player on our roster is capable of it. The staff should plan on putting each kid in a position to succeed and as long as one or two of the supporting cast steps up each game we're OK.

Plus, when the opponent doesn't know who's going to be the hot hand, it makes it harder for them to plan against us. And to me that's a significant advantage.

Kedsy
03-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Do you think the players may less positive statements following our other losses?

Well, as a matter of fact, I do. After the St. Johns game, my recollection is the players said they were embarrassed. After the UNC game, they said they were angry. That's a big difference to me. Remember how Nolan played that one game after he got called for a bogus charge? He was angry and he was magnificent. When he comes out and says he doesn't want to lose another game this year, I believe him.

I completely agree with this.

Focusing defenses on Smith rarely, if at all, works.

I disagree with this. Teams whose primary focus has been to stop Nolan may not be able to keep him from getting his points, but they can make him much less efficient, and they can bog down Duke's offense. Maryland has been successful with this approach, and FSU and Temple did pretty well with it, too.

dukebluesincebirth
03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
In my opinion, March is all about roles. It's usually obvious when we watch a well-oiled team in which each player knows his role. Coach K has always been a master at this and it's a must for our postseason chances this year.

I think most guys on this team have clearly defined roles and it's just a matter of executing consistently(Kyle and Ryan K). However, I think Andre needs to figure out his role and fulfill it. Miles and Mason need to make sure they play within their roles.

When each member has a defined role that he is focused on achieving each game, teams with enough talent can win championships. I think Duke certainly has the talent.

FellowTraveler
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
In my opinion, March is all about roles. It's usually obvious when we watch a well-oiled team in which each player knows his role. Coach K has always been a master at this and it's a must for our postseason chances this year.

I think most guys on this team have clearly defined roles and it's just a matter of executing consistently(Kyle and Ryan K). However, I think Andre needs to figure out his role and fulfill it. Miles and Mason need to make sure they play within their roles.

Two questions:

1) Why does Andre need to "figure out his role" if Coach K is a "master" at assigning roles? Seems to me that if a team wants a highly structured system in which players have narrow roles, it's the master Coach's job to assign those roles, not the players' job to figure them out. (And as I wrote on another thread, I believe that, on offense at least, Andre is playing the role he's been assigned: Stand around on the wing and wait for open threes to come his way.)

2) When have Mason and Miles failed to "play within their roles"? I don't see either of them taking three-pointers, trying to run the offense as a point guard, or refusing to set screens. To the extent that they could be more productive, I think that's more likely to come from expanding their roles, not from them doing a better job of staying confined to their roles.

jv001
03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Two questions:

1) Why does Andre need to "figure out his role" if Coach K is a "master" at assigning roles? Seems to me that if a team wants a highly structured system in which players have narrow roles, it's the master Coach's job to assign those roles, not the players' job to figure them out. (And as I wrote on another thread, I believe that, on offense at least, Andre is playing the role he's been assigned: Stand around on the wing and wait for open threes to come his way.)

2) When have Mason and Miles failed to "play within their roles"? I don't see either of them taking three-pointers, trying to run the offense as a point guard, or refusing to set screens. To the extent that they could be more productive, I think that's more likely to come from expanding their roles, not from them doing a better job of staying confined to their roles.

I agree with your take on Andre's role on offense. We don't know for sure what role he's been asked to play in Duke's offense. But I agree if he's standing around on the wing and that's not Coach K's plan, Andre would not be playing at all. As for Mason and Miles they are doing what Coach K has asked them. That's to set pick, play defense and rebound. However I wish he would ask them to post up low a few times. Go Duke!

elvis14
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
However I wish he would ask them to post up low a few times. Go Duke!

With the tournaments starting I have to admit that I think we have talent to do well but there are a few things I'd like to see K adjust. A few more touches in the post, fewer 3's by Ryan and Kyle, Andre being more active. Note these are just fine tuning, slight adjustments not trashing what we have been doing and starting over. As the year has progressed, we've seen K made adjustments and I don't expect that to stop. It's always interesting to see what he'll have them do next. Maybe I should call him and offer advice ;)

superdave
03-11-2011, 03:10 PM
With the tournaments starting I have to admit that I think we have talent to do well but there are a few things I'd like to see K adjust. A few more touches in the post, fewer 3's by Ryan and Kyle, Andre being more active. Note these are just fine tuning, slight adjustments not trashing what we have been doing and starting over. As the year has progressed, we've seen K made adjustments and I don't expect that to stop. It's always interesting to see what he'll have them do next. Maybe I should call him and offer advice ;)

I agree that it would be nice to have our best 3 point shooter take a larger portion of our 3s, but he's got to play his butt off on D. Also, I dont think we need to score out of the post as much as we need to run plays through the post at times so we dont run the same high ball screen over and over. A diversification thing I suppose.

elvis14
03-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I agree that it would be nice to have our best 3 point shooter take a larger portion of our 3s, but he's got to play his butt off on D. Also, I dont think we need to score out of the post as much as we need to run plays through the post at times so we dont run the same high ball screen over and over. A diversification thing I suppose.

I agree that Andre needs to play his butt off on D. I'm really surprised at how poorly the 2nd half of the season has gone for Andre. He's a good kid and so many of us are behind him. He played some good D in CH last week so lets hope that spills over into tonight's game. Good point about how to use the post. Depending on the team we are playing and the match ups it can be really effective to play inside out.

jv001
03-11-2011, 03:38 PM

Not looking past today and tomorrows game, but if and when we play unc again, I would like to see Nolan or Tyler try and deny marshall the ball. I remember we used to have some great defenders who exceled at this. Go Duke!

jipops
03-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Kind of a tough draw for Game 1 - the pseudo rival. I would much prefer a less fierce defense in order to get our struggling offense going. It would be nice to see more ball movement and more movement by those without the ball. It seems lately we have more guys standing around the perimeter waiting for the spot up and not putting much pressure on the opposing defense. The last 3 games we have finished with single digit assists. We must control the ball and not get careless with it. Maryland has a great shot of taking this if we cannot take care of the ball.

I do expect an ugly-fest. Both teams have solid defenses with offenses that haven't been producing much lately. It probably won't be a thing of beauty to watch.

FellowTraveler
03-11-2011, 05:30 PM
One specific play I'd like to see: Andre and Mason running a pick & roll. They successfully executed one early in the Georgia Tech game, with Andre hitting Mason with a nice pass for the basket. (A minute later, Andre committed a foul on D, was quickly removed from the game and didn't get back in until garbage time.)

There's a lot I like about that play: First: It's an actual pick & roll, in which the big actually gets the ball -- not something we see Duke do a lot. It's a way to get Mason involved; he's big and athletic enough that he's in good position to finish upon receiving the pass -- and a good enough passer that if the defense rotates down, he can kick out for a weak-side three. It's a way to get Andre involved and give him the opportunity to participate in a positive play that isn't a three-point shot. And it's a play that doesn't (directly) involve Nolan or Kyle, which keeps the defense guessing.

Also: Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember nearly as many pick & pops for Kyle this year as in previous seasons. He and Nolan should be well-suited to run that together ...

superdave
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Also: Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember nearly as many pick & pops for Kyle this year as in previous seasons. He and Nolan should be well-suited to run that together ...

The old Jason Williams to Shane Battier for 3 play. Worked over and over.

rthomas
03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I am so ready for our game. I love this team! But, remember, we have two guaranteed games left. Enjoy this game. Enjoy this game. Enjoy watching Kyle and Nolan. We have such precious little time left with these guys.

NSDukeFan
03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone have a non-ESPN3 on-line access to the game? I haven't been able to find anything yet for this Canadian? Thanks

DukieTiger
03-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Anyone have a non-ESPN3 on-line access to the game? I haven't been able to find anything yet for this Canadian? Thanks

Seconded!

NSDukeFan
03-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Seconded!
Actually I think I can watch on ACc.com

DukieinSoCal
03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
What does everyone think of starting both Plumlees in place of Kelly?

BleedsP287
03-11-2011, 07:13 PM
And Singler gets his shot back?!?!

rthomas
03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
My wife pointed out that while two Plumlees started... they used the picture of Ryan with Miles name.

Gthoma2a
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I love Andre Dawkins, and I am so glad to see him looking confident again. Let's go Duke!

jtelander
03-11-2011, 07:25 PM
What is the story with the sleeve/support on Nolan's left arm?

Gthoma2a
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
What is the story with the sleeve/support on Nolan's left arm?

Just looks cool (I don't really know, but I think it does).

riverside6
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10081

Terps with an eFG% over 70 right now, not what you want to see, but can it be sustained?

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Points from our bench! Both Dawkins & Kelly have scored.

ChrisP
03-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Duke playing pretty well offensively so far but would love to see us step our D. Also wish Curry would be a bit more selective on his shots - he's taken a number of quick/bad ones thus far. Glad to see Kelly's stroke back and Mason being more aggressive on O.

BleedsP287
03-11-2011, 07:39 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here:

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=10081

Terps with an eFG% over 70 right now, not what you want to see, but can it be sustained?

Seems to be a minute ahead of the local tv feed.

#1Duke
03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Not bad so far. A couple of Airrrrrballs but our offense looks decent.
Got some good calls too.

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 07:41 PM
The offense looks much better tonight than it has the past couple of games. Much better movement.

Cameron
03-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I hate that Andre gets pulled so hastily, yet Ryan Kelly (god bless his heart for starting three-for-three this evening) could pull out a bow and shoot somebody dead with an arrow and remain on the floor.

Andre made a beautiful three early, looks to have his confidence in full swing, and then is relegated to the bench. Again. Let's get #20 into a flow.

Gthoma2a
03-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I hate that Andre gets pulled so hastily, yet Ryan Kelly (god bless his heart for starting three-for-three this evening) could pull out a bow and shoot somebody dead with an arrow and remain on the floor.

Andre made a beautiful three early, looks to have his confidence in full swing, and then is relegated to the bench. Again. Let's get #20 into a flow.

I agree, that is what I was saying a few days ago. He plays well when given the green light, and his mentality is that of a shooter (if you want to get him to play well, it is all about confidence for him). Pulling him constantly is going to keep him from ever getting in the flow.

BleedsP287
03-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Great to see Ryan shooting well again

Gthoma2a
03-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Great to see Ryan shooting well again

True. Good to see that he is on tonight.

sbroc012
03-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Nolan needs to lose the sleeve...it aint workin

ajgoodfella7
Anyone want to bet Nolan doesn't have that arm sleeve on after halftime?

dairedevil
Looks like it might be Nolan's night to have an off game...so far he's made some BAD shots, and some poor decisions. Luckily, Singler seems to have shown up, Kelly's made a few baskets, and we're up by 7. Hopefully coach can get his head straight at halftime.

oldnavy
Thank goodness Ryan Kelly didn't take the advice of some on this board and stop shooting.

Gthoma2a
03-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Thank goodness Ryan Kelly didn't take the advice of some on this board and stop shooting.

I don't think anybody wants him to stop shooting altogether, but when it isn't falling, it is just good policy to look to set screens. Some nights guys just don't have it.

SMO
03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

And coincidentally we're seeing vintage Singler. Even Elmore is impressed.

g-money
03-11-2011, 07:59 PM
YOU GO KYLE!!

Glad to see the team playing well despite Nolan's slow start. Kelly obviously worked on his jumper in practice this week.

Come on Andre - use these minutes to your advantage!

Chris Randolph
03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
You were ACC player of the year and national player of the year WITHOUT THE SLEEVE!! Take it off please and play like yourself

Maybe the Kyrie hype is messing with Nolan's head a bit:confused:

Kelly showing a lot with a good bounce back game. Expect it from Kyle

grannyduke
Gary said the sh** word at the end of the half.

ajgoodfella7
Airowe said per Nolan's sister: that the reason for the sleeve was that Nolan's arm was bothering him a bit... may be a contributing factor in his off night.

Cameron
03-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Come on Andre - use these minutes to your advantage!

What minutes? He played for 180 seconds. And yet, he was able to score a three-pointer and play with high energy.

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 08:06 PM
What minutes? He played for 180 seconds. And yet, he was able to score a three-pointer and play with high energy.

He actually had about 7 minutes in that first half. He just wasn't seeing the ball much on the offensive end.

oldnavy
I don't think anybody wants him to stop shooting altogether, but when it isn't falling, it is just good policy to look to set screens. Some nights guys just don't have it.

Yes I agree, but shooters have to shoot. There were some here saying that he shouldn't be shooting. He HAS to shoot the open looks he gets, same with any shooter. If they don't then defenses can sag off and it disrupts the whole offense.

But you are correct, that on some nights it may be better to go inside or give it up... but tonight I think he is feeling it!

pfrduke
Plus/minusing the first half - a good half, with everyone for Duke in the + column and everyone for Maryland in the "-" column.

Kelly +10 (28-18)
Singler +9 (42-33)
Curry +8 (30-22)
Mason +7 (38-31)
Smith +5 (36-31)
Dawkins +3 (18-15)
Thornton +2 (2-0)
Miles +1 (16-15)

Gregory -2 (18-20)
Palsson -3 (18-21)
Bowie -4 (20-24)
Mosley -4 (20-24)
Stoglin -4 (25-29)
Padgett -5 (6-11)
Howard -5 (8-13)
Williams -7 (33-40)
Tucker -11 (17-28)

g-money
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Airowe said per Nolan's sister: that the reason for the sleeve was that Nolan's arm was bothering him a bit... may be a contributing factor in his off night.

I seem to remember Nolan banging his elbow on the ground in the Carolina game. That may have been the beer talking though.

oldnavy
03-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Something is off... maybe he is under the weather or something. I will give UM credit, they are playing him very tight.. I look for him to take the ball inside a little more in the second half, he isn't getting many open looks from outside.

El_Diablo
03-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Something is off... maybe he is under the weather or something. I will give UM credit, they are playing him very tight.. I look for him to take the ball inside a little more in the second half, he isn't getting many open looks from outside.

Yeah, his shot is off, and he's turning the ball over.

Luckily, both Ryan and Mason came to play tonight. Add that to some vintage Singler, and we can afford an off half from Nolan.

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
...And the sleeve is gone.

FellowTraveler
03-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Yes I agree, but shooters have to shoot. There were some here saying that he shouldn't be shooting. He HAS to shoot the open looks he gets, same with any shooter. If they don't then defenses can sag off and it disrupts the whole offense.

But you are correct, that on some nights it may be better to go inside or give it up... but tonight I think he is feeling it!

Ryan's first four buckets were two-pointers, two of them in the paint. He got shots he can make consistently, and he made them.

Also, good things (baskets, fouls, assists) have happened just about every time Mason has touched the ball on offense.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Great second effort/follow up plays by Miles and Kyle!

ChrisP
03-11-2011, 08:21 PM
This does not seem to be his night. I can understand his shot being off if his arm is indeed bothering him (I'm guessing that's what the sleeve is for) but..he's making bad decisions all over the place. Lots of mental mistakes tonight. I hope he can focus for the stretch run here against MD

DukieInBrasil
03-11-2011, 08:25 PM
What's wrong with Nolan? Can't make a shot, can't make a play without turning it over. He just looks totally out of it.
Good thing Curry, Singler and Kelly showed up to play.

Cameron
03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Nolan looks lethargic and completely out of it.

I think the best way to maintain our current offensive roll is to keep Andre on the bench.

AlaskanAssassin
03-11-2011, 08:27 PM
maybe we should rest Nolan? before it aggravates it more?

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Nolan's shot seems to have much more arch on it tonight than it usually does for some reason.

slower
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
maybe we should rest Nolan? before it aggravates it more?

Or before the lead totally evaporates.

dcdrumsinc
03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
this game is confirming my fear of being a 2nd round exit...

ChrisP
03-11-2011, 08:30 PM
We can't seem to do anything right right now! Jeez! Get it together guys!!!

g-money
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
three missed wide-open threes combined by our two seniors... that hurts a bit.

ChrisP
03-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Calling it a LOT tighter in the 2nd half. I hate when the refs are inconsistent like this. I thought both teams got away with a lot of fouls in the first half, but now it seems like we're getting whistled every time we're on D

ChrisP
03-11-2011, 08:38 PM
MD will be in the double-bonus with about 11 mins to go if this foul rate holds up. I think MD has only been whistled for 3 (to our 8) at this point. Hmmm...

Cameron
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Bar tender, a triple shot, please.

Andre Dawkins doing what he does. Now leave the kid in the game.

Chris Randolph
03-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Nolan Smith:

Please feel free to make an impact in this game. Score, assits, rebound, defense, something please!

He hasn't done anything right tonight

Thank goodness for Kyle and Mason

FellowTraveler
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Good things happen when Mason Plumlee touches the ball.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 08:41 PM
MD will be in the double-bonus with about 11 mins to go if this foul rate holds up. I think MD has only been whistled for 3 (to our 8) at this point. Hmmm...

Well they had called more fouls on MD than Duke in the first half. Guess it's time for catch up.

somf4eva
03-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Nolan Smith:

Please feel free to make an impact in this game. Score, assits, rebound, defense, something please!

He hasn't done anything right tonight

Thank goodness for Kyle and Mason

ask and ye shall receive

Vincetaylor
03-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Calling it a LOT tighter in the 2nd half. I hate when the refs are inconsistent like this. I thought both teams got away with a lot of fouls in the first half, but now it seems like we're getting whistled every time we're on D

A lot of questionable foul calls.

oldnavy
03-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Looks like a 5 on 8 game from here on out....

sbroc012
03-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Well they had called more fouls on MD than Duke in the first half. Guess it's time for catch up.

yea that typically happens...for whatever reason the refs try to even it up...i dont know what was up with the player control foul on plumlee before the timeout

WVDUKEFAN
03-11-2011, 08:52 PM
MP just got away with a goal tending. Oh crap.... N. Smitty is down.... NOooooooo!!!!

AlaskanAssassin
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
we need to rest nolan.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Nolan is in pain- it really doesn't look good. I don't know why they had him walk off the floor. Hope that it looks worse than it is.

SMO
03-11-2011, 08:55 PM
MP just got away with a goal tending. Oh crap.... N. Smitty is down.... NOooooooo!!!!

Oh boy. Commentators are saying it's an ankle but it actually looks more like a toe. Seriously.

_Gary
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I hate to even think this, much less say it. But it looks eerily like the same thing that happened to Kyrie. I'm scared that Nolan just received the exact same injury to his big toe.

deezl
03-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Oh boy. Commentators are saying it's an ankle but it actually looks more like a toe. Seriously.

Yea they keep saying ankle but I'm pretty sure it's a toe. You could see Kyrie ask, "it's his toe?"

Pantone #287
03-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Year of the Toe(s)

CajunDevil
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Nolan will be fine... Nolan will be fine.... Nolan will be fine... fingers crossed

SMO
03-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I hate to even think this, much less say it. But it looks eerily like the same thing that happened to Kyrie. I'm scared that Nolan just received the exact same injury to his big toe.

Jammed toe from what it looks like. Hopefully we don't need to start a 70 page thread on it.

g-money
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Andre and Seth doing good stuff right now.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 09:01 PM
On the bright side, Seth and Andre have stepped up in Nolan's absence.

Jammed toe? Oh, no!

Bluedevil114
03-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Did he just say TOE. OH TOE NO!!

dukelilsis
03-11-2011, 09:03 PM
I have been so completely freaked out with worry about Nolan that I was actually shocked just now when I looked at the score.

CajunDevil
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Seth is channeling his inner Kyrie... like it

magjayran
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
I hope Nolan is ok but the seeing Seth step up is encouraging.

SMO
03-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I'd love to see Singler keep knocking down mid-range shots until his 3's return. He brought his typical outstanding game tonight!

obsesseddukefan
03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Jammed toe from what it looks like. Hopefully we don't need to start a 70 page thread on it.

I couldn't agree more. :D

dcdrumsinc
03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Is it just me or is seth's ball handling and point guard/facilitator skills better than nolan's. i could see duke doign well and the plumlees doign well with curry running the point

SMO
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Gotta love Mason breaking the press and dishing to Dawkins! And one!

Bluedevil114
03-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Mason running the point and feeding Dawkins for the three point play. Love Dawkins!!

FellowTraveler
03-11-2011, 09:11 PM
7 points, 2 assists, 5 turnovers and a (hopefully not serious) injury from our POY candidate. 3-15 three-point shooting overall.

And a 13 point lead against a solid team. This is what offensive diversity can provide.

SMO
03-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Is it just me or is seth's ball handling and point guard/facilitator skills better than nolan's. i could see duke doign well and the plumlees doign well with curry running the point

For a few posessions it was true, but I think MD was overplaying him thinking he couldn't handle it and he was able to take advantage. Not sure I'd want him as the primary handler for 30+ minutes, but he looks to be enjoying the opportunity.

dcdrumsinc
03-11-2011, 09:14 PM
For a few posessions it was true, but I think MD was overplaying him thinking he couldn't handle it and he was able to take advantage. Not sure I'd want him as the primary handler for 30+ minutes, but he looks to be enjoying the opportunity.

I disagree. i would like to see it. I could see seth curry playing a jon scheyer like roll of being steady with the ball handling and being a good outside shooter while having kyle and nolan play off the ball.

dairedevil
03-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Who would have thought that Nolan getting hurt would completely throw off Maryland's game and not Duke?