PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament - Day One

superdave
03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Virginia is up 10 points on Miami with less than a minute to go, so it looks like the Wahoos will take on Unc tomorrow. Barring a miracle, UVA will have held Miami under 50 points. This has to be considered a bad matchup for Unc this early in the tournament.

Carolina won at Virginia 62-56 on 1/8.

I think both teams have improved since then though, so tomorrow could be interesting.

UrinalCake
03-10-2011, 01:58 PM
UVA playing well, Sene is holding his own inside and they've totally shut down Miami. Hopefully they can bring the D again tomorrow and also hit some from outside.

superdave
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
What have I done? Tie game. 13 seconds to go.

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
HUGE comeback by Miami in the last minute.

superdave
03-10-2011, 02:07 PM
HUGE comeback by Miami in the last minute.

10 points in 30-some seconds. Wha happened!?

killerleft
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
10 points in 30-some seconds. Wha happened!?

A comedy of errors by UVA mostly, but Miami made the plays necessary. Miami missed a traditinal three point play to go up one.

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
A comedy of errors by UVA mostly, but Miami made the plays necessary. Miami missed a traditinal three point play to go up one.

Then another UVA turnover knocked the ball out of bounds on the missed Miami free throw.

Haith's horrible play calling (isolation dribble/chuck at the top of the key) gave UVA another chance with 1.3 seconds, but UVA turned the ball over again on the inbound and let Gamble get a good look that rimmed out at the buzzer.

1 24 90
03-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Gone in 42 seconds? Wow!

superdave
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm trying to watch on TheACC.com (Jefferson Pilot feed) while at work. The feed is terirble, so I have huge gaps in the action.

Am I seeing things or is Miami on like a 22-4 run to close this thing out? Wow. Did UVA have not timeouts left?

wilko
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
WOW What a meltdown!
Never seen anything like that.

Poor UVa. Those guys haven't quit despite having lesser talent and have been battlers all yr. I like what their Coach has managed to do this yr. This would have been a nice cap-off for their yr.

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Gone in 42 seconds? Wow!

Virginia had five turnovers in the last 1:10, including four turnovers in the last 20 seconds. They also missed three free throws in the last 42 seconds.

Miami now up eight with :31 remaining in OT. Hopefully this inspired play carries over to tomorrow. :D

Chard
03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Out of the first day teams, Miami was the one that I thought could make some noise. How much noise they make we'll find out tomorrow. They're just not as bad as their record looks.

In other tournament news, UConn moves on with win over Pitt. If Duke can take care of biz, a #1 seed would be very likely for the Blue Devils.

pfrduke
03-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Remarkable that the teams from only overtime game of the season in ACC play ended up going to overtime again in the tourney. Heartbreaking collapse for UVA.

superdave
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Heartbreaking collapse for UVA.

I started the thread with 35 seconds to go and jinxed them. Sorry Mustafa.

Chard
03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Dave Telep tweets ealier:

@DaveTelep State of the ACC: Players of the game in Miami/UVa game both scored less than 10 points today. Yikes.

I guess he hasn't kept up with the style of play that Virginia employs or the short bench? Not a shocker if he really did his homework.

Matches
03-10-2011, 02:42 PM
UVA epic fail. Ridiculous collapse.

ncexnyc
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy StarBust.

Kid hits an awesome 3 with the shot clock running down and then turns right around clanking two free throws, botching an inbounds play, and battling with Farrakan for an uncontested rebound, which results in the ball going out of bounds.

Fate was definitely a fickle mistress to poor Sammy.

UrinalCake
03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
From the ESPN game summary, here's a recap of the last couple minutes:

2:17 UVA leads 39-50
1:50 Miami makes layup (41-50)
1:26 UVA misses front end of 1-and-1
1:11 Miami misses shot, UVA rebounds
1:10 UVA turnover
1:04 Miami makes followup tip shot, misses the and-1 (43-50)
1:03 UVA fouled, makes two free throws (43-52)
0:57 Miami misses three-pointer, UVA rebounds
0:42 UVA fouled, makes 1 of 2 free throws (43-53)
0:37 Miami makes three-pointer (46-53)
0:32 UVA fouled, misses both free throws
0:30 Miami makes three-pointer (49-53)
0:20 UVA turnover
0:19 Miami makes dunk (51-53)
0:13 UVA turnover (Miami steal)
0:13 Miami makes layup, misses the and-1 (53-53)
0:10 UVA turnover
0:02 Miami turnover
0:01 UVA turnover

What's amazing is that Miami actually missed some shots/free throws and made a couple mistakes themselves within that stretch, and still had a chance to WIN it with 13 seconds left.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2011, 02:56 PM
From the ESPN game summary, here's a recap of the last couple minutes:

2:17 UVA leads 39-50
1:50 Miami makes layup (41-50)
1:26 UVA misses front end of 1-and-1
1:11 Miami misses shot, UVA rebounds
1:10 UVA turnover
1:04 Miami makes followup tip shot, misses the and-1 (43-50)
1:03 UVA fouled, makes two free throws (43-52)
0:57 Miami misses three-pointer, UVA rebounds
0:42 UVA fouled, makes 1 of 2 free throws (43-53)
0:37 Miami makes three-pointer (46-53)
0:32 UVA fouled, misses both free throws
0:30 Miami makes three-pointer (49-53)
0:20 UVA turnover
0:19 Miami makes dunk (51-53)
0:13 UVA turnover (Miami steal)
0:13 Miami makes layup, misses the and-1 (53-53)
0:10 UVA turnover
0:02 Miami turnover
0:01 UVA turnover

What's amazing is that Miami actually missed some shots/free throws and made a couple mistakes themselves within that stretch, and still had a chance to WIN it with 13 seconds left.

Where's the Asack keeper up the middle?

-bdbd
03-10-2011, 02:57 PM
UVA epic fail. Ridiculous collapse.

Just remember - it can (and has) happen to us too. Wasn't it Duke vs NC circa 1976...
8 points gone in 16 seconds (pre-3-pt-circle)?

I think this is good, as Miami gets mega-momentum heading into their matchup tomorrow. They are probably thinking they are playing for an NCAA birth, and recall that they played NC to a draw for 39:50 in Miami... :rolleyes:

UrinalCake
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM
They are probably thinking they are playing for an NCAA birth, and recall that they played NC to a draw for 39:50 in Miami... :rolleyes:

Someone is going to be born during the NCAA's? Oh, you mean an NCAA berth 8-).

I agree that the close call puts Miami in good position for an upset tomorrow. Hopefully Reggie Johnson can put a hurt on inside after his disappointing performance today.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Someone is going to be born during the NCAA's? Oh, you mean an NCAA berth 8-)

Well, UVa clearly laid an egg late.

Bob Green
03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Just remember - it can (and has) happen to us too. Wasn't it Duke vs NC circa 1976...
8 points gone in 16 seconds (pre-3-pt-circle)?

It was 1974.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Looks like Wake is ready for the season to be OVER. Not putting up much of a fight.

4decadedukie
03-10-2011, 03:48 PM
We came back against Maryland (during the "miracle minuet" game) to overcome a ten point deficiency, but that took almost 60 seconds plus overtime; Miami only required 35 seconds (plus o/t), which I suspect implies more about the 'Hoos than about Duke, UMd or Miami.

Jeff Frosh
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
We came back against Maryland (during the "miracle minuet" game) to overcome a ten point deficiency, but that took almost 60 seconds plus overtime; Miami only required 35 seconds (plus o/t), which I suspect implies more about the 'Hoos than about Duke, UMd or Miami.

Actually, in our miracle minute win, although the deficit was 10 points with 50 something seconds left, we tied the game pretty quickly. If I recall correctly, we tied it with close to 30 seconds still left in regulation. So our actual comeback happened more quickly. Historians, please correct or clarify as necessary.:)

Edit: Went back to watch miracle minute game. 10 points with 54 seconds left. We tied it with 21.9 seconds left

#1Duke
03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Miami played an AWFUL game and UVA just totally screwed up. It was hard to watch.
Miami will be emotionally exhausted and physically tired tomorrow for the Heels.
Much as I hate to say it, I think the Heels blow them out.
Any other team would have closed Miami out and held them to under 50 points.

Duke of Nashville
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM

If I remember right 8 of those points came in about 20 seconds. 10 Points in 40 seconds or so.

superdave
03-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Miami played an AWFUL game and UVA just totally screwed up. It was hard to watch.
Miami will be emotionally exhausted and physically tired tomorrow for the Heels.
Much as I hate to say it, I think the Heels blow them out.
Any other team would have closed Miami out and held them to under 50 points.

Unc only beat Miami 74-71 on 1/26. That's closer than the Unc win over UVA. Depends on which Miami team shows up tomorrow.

DevilWearsPrada
03-10-2011, 04:16 PM
UVa blew their lead and the game away. The overtime was dominated by Miami the entire 5 minutes.

Now for Wake and BC. I am not even paying attention to the game. It was over before it got started. ACC should have punched BC a win, and allowed Wake to stay at home. It has been a bad and possible worst Wake team I have ever seen or at least remember.

I hope the Wake AD and their boosters are proud that they fired Dino last season. Because their season this year, was horrible.

BC is up 20 over Wake in the 2nd half at 1135 mark

Matches
03-10-2011, 04:20 PM

You suspect right. At least when we came back against the Terps it was in part because our defense forced turnovers. UVa's errors against Miami were mostly unforced. Ball goes between player's legs. Two players dribble ball out of bounds. Miami made some plays but UVa's ineptitude in that last minute was like nothing I've seen from a college basketball team. Awful.

CDu
03-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, the unexpected comeback from Miami at least gives a chance for the upset of UNC tomorrow. UVa just doesn't have the horses to do it. Miami at least has several players capable of getting hot and outplaying UNC's players, even though Bennett is probably the superior coach of the two. Hopefully Grant, Scott, and Johnson have big days, or someone like Thomas steps up big for them.

There's a chance that UNC's path could be very challenging - Miami and then Clemson could be tough. And BC on the right day could be tough if they got past Clemson. UNC would be favored in each of those games, but an upset is certainly not out of the question.

pfrduke
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
And BC officially finishes off the Deacs. Yawn.

For Wake, I suspect there's some degree of happiness that this season is finally over. I suspect they can't put this behind them fast enough.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm trying to watch on TheACC.com (Jefferson Pilot feed) while at work. The feed is terirble, so I have huge gaps in the action.

Am I seeing things or is Miami on like a 22-4 run to close this thing out? Wow. Did UVA have not timeouts left?

Thought I'd share that TWC, Brighthouse, and Verizon FiOS customers can watch ESPN networks at http://espn.go.com/espnnetworks. It's the live feed of whatever's playing on ESPN, ESPN2, BuzzerBeater, and ESPNU. (yeah it's pretty cool)

I know this doesn't for all the ACC games and for some of them only if you're outside ACC country, but it's neat to check out.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
And BC officially finishes off the Deacs. Yawn.

For Wake, I suspect there's some degree of happiness that this season is finally over. I suspect they can't put this behind them fast enough.

Just an awful season. Not sure they have a lot of firepower coming in- so the young players will need to get better.

superdave
03-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Thought I'd share that TWC, Brighthouse, and Verizon FiOS customers can watch ESPN networks at http://espn.go.com/espnnetworks. It's the live feed of whatever's playing on ESPN, ESPN2, BuzzerBeater, and ESPNU. (yeah it's pretty cool)

I know this doesn't for all the ACC games and for some of them only if you're outside ACC country, but it's neat to check out.

I tried Espn3 but it's blacked out here in DC.

#1Duke
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Unc only beat Miami 74-71 on 1/26. That's closer than the Unc win over UVA. Depends on which Miami team shows up tomorrow.

At this time of year, you can't go by what happened on 1/26 ... just can't.
By your way of thinking, we are in bad shape with recent losses to UNC and Florida State and I don't believe that for a minute.
UNC is a WAY different team at this point.
We can always hope for an upset though for sure, but I would rather Duke play UNC in the finals and settle the one and one split.
Would be a HUGE victory!!:o

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-10-2011, 05:02 PM
I tried Espn3 but it's blacked out here in DC.

Yeah, that'll be the case tomorrow as well. I think TheACC.com is your only option.

The link I just posted is like similar to ESPN3, but the Buzzer Beater channel is great. I was just watching the end of the 'Cuse game and then they switched to Akron and Miami. It's like NFL RedZone, but for college bball.

devildeac
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Probably not. Pete Gillen used them all several years ago.

devildeac
03-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Someone is going to be born during the NCAA's? Oh, you mean an NCAA berth 8-).

I agree that the close call puts Miami in good position for an upset tomorrow. Hopefully Reggie Johnson can put a hurt on inside after his disappointing performance today.

ACC officials have announced that Reggie Johnson will start the game tomorrow against unc with 3 personal fouls, so I doubt we'll see a big game from him:rolleyes:. Now, if they were playing Duke...

The Gordog
03-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I hope the Wake AD and their boosters are proud that they fired Dino last season. Because their season this year, was horrible.

I am curious if you think Dino would have done any better this year. I am trying to remember if they lost players and/or recruits when they fired him and can't.

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
And the typical NC State collapse is already in full force: Maryland leads 29-14 with 9 minutes left in the half.

The Wolfpack have had a lot of games like this though, and they've had a fair number of comebacks that ultimately fall short. We'll see if they can make this a game or not...it would be nice if Maryland has to expend some energy (like Miami had to) rather than rest everyone for most of the second half.

somf4eva
03-10-2011, 07:31 PM
this game looks really sloppy. whoever wins shoot 70% tomorrow though.

jv001
03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
And the typical NC State collapse is already in full force: Maryland leads 29-14 with 9 minutes left in the half.

The Wolfpack have had a lot of games like this though, and they've had a fair number of comebacks that ultimately fall short. We'll see if they can make this a game or not...it would be nice if Maryland has to expend some energy (like Miami had to) rather than rest everyone for most of the second half.

I may hate myself for saying this but here goes; I had rather we play Maryland than State. I feel like we play better against them as they don't shoot particularly well from the perimeter. And Williams will not beat us by himself on the inside. Go Duke!

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
As Elmore and Patrick are calling the game, I've obviously had it on mute for most of the half. However, I just unmuted it and heard Patrick say that Singleton is expected to be back tomorrow. Is this true, or is Patrick just talking out of his [Roy] again?

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Well, State has clawed its way back into it a bit. Nine-point deficit at the half.

If they stay true to form, they will tie or take the lead by about the 8:00 mark...but will promptly fall apart and lose by about ten.

Bob Green
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
As Elmore and Patrick are calling the game, I've obviously had it on mute for most of the half. However, I just unmuted it and heard Patrick say that Singleton is expected to be back tomorrow. Is this true, or is Patrick just talking out of his [Roy] again?

Maybe! Maybe not!

http://www.accsports.com/wires/2011030810000/fsu-heads-to-acc-tourney-with-star-still-gimpy-.php

“We’re going to proceed optimistic, but cautious...”

PumpkinFunk
03-10-2011, 08:43 PM
The body language of the State players is telling. Neither team wants to win, but State wants to win so much less than Maryland. If Maryland plays this sloppily tomorrow, should be easy to beat them.

wilson
03-10-2011, 08:46 PM
If Maryland plays this sloppily tomorrow, should be easy to beat them.I do not expect this at all.
I anticipate that we will have our hands full with the Twerps tomorrow, as we almost always do.

DevilWearsPrada
03-10-2011, 09:57 PM
The Bumble Bees and Turkeys are playing. The Turkeys have Stung the bumble bees. Its early in the first half. But VaTech has a good lead.

I need a good nights rest, to be rested for the Duke Maryland game tomorrow night in Greensboro.

Lets Go Duke!!

Newton_14
03-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I do not expect this at all.
I anticipate that we will have our hands full with the Twerps tomorrow, as we almost always do.

Totally agree. I always shudder when folks predict blowouts in the pre-game thread. We are not playing Wake Forest. Maryland will bring it and we need to be prepared for it. They played us tough in both regular season games. It took a heroic defensive effort by Tyler Thornton, and great shooting in a key 2nd half run by Seth Curry, to dig us out of a hole in the game at Cameron and secure a 7 point win.

This game will be a battle. Hopefully we bring our A game and make a statement that we have no intentions on losing this weekend.

wilson
03-10-2011, 10:13 PM
What hath conference expansion wrought?
Well, I'll tell you: It has utterly ruined the first day of the ACC Tournament. What used to be a Friday full of taut, intense, meaningful basketball has been transformed into 9 hours of mediocrity. The one game today that stayed close throughout, UVA-Miami, was essentially a study in two-way ineptitude. The other three games? Borderline unwatchable affairs, each featuring at least one outright putrid performance. Lots of good nap fodder today. The primary question to be debated at this point is who has been worst among Wake Forest, NC State, and Georgia Tech (or perhaps which of those three teams' coaches will be fired first).
Hopefully, this year's ACC Tournament Friday (no longer the first day, but still the day of the tournament) will be better.

moonpie23
03-10-2011, 10:28 PM
Well, I'll tell you: It has utterly ruined the first day of the ACC Tournament.

yeah, but our football teams are all nationally kicking butt.....right?

Jarhead
03-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Well, I'll tell you: It has utterly ruined the first day of the ACC Tournament. What used to be a Friday full of taut, intense, meaningful basketball has been transformed into 9 hours of mediocrity. The one game today that stayed close throughout, UVA-Miami, was essentially a study in two-way ineptitude. The other three games? Borderline unwatchable affairs, each featuring at least one outright putrid performance. Lots of good nap fodder today. The primary question to be debated at this point is who has been worst among Wake Forest, NC State, and Georgia Tech (or perhaps which of those three teams' coaches will be fired first).
Hopefully, this year's ACC Tournament Friday (no longer the first day, but still the day of the tournament) will be better.

It wasn't the expansion that did this tournament in. It was the thickheads that implemented the new tournament format. It would have been so easy just to qualify the top eight teams for the same old three round tournament. At least our tournament is more sensible than the Big East five rounder, though.

wilson
03-10-2011, 10:37 PM
It wasn't the expansion that did this tournament in. It was the thickheads that implemented the new tournament format. It would have been so easy just to qualify the top eight teams for the same old three round tournament. At least our tournament is more sensible than the Big East five rounder, though.Totally agreed, but if you give stuffy suits the opportunity to make such a decision, they'll nearly always make a poor one.

UrinalCake
03-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, let's not take tomorrow's game lightly. Maryland has gotten their feet wet while we always start off cold. I'll be happy if the game is tied at the under-12 timeout. They've been playing much better since they made Stoglin the starter. Our game against them in Cameron was close, and in College Park it took an outlandish shooting run by Singler for us to pull away (let's hope he returns to form against them).

Vincetaylor
03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
It wasn't the expansion that did this tournament in. It was the thickheads that implemented the new tournament format. It would have been so easy just to qualify the top eight teams for the same old three round tournament. At least our tournament is more sensible than the Big East five rounder, though.

I agree that the five rounds is insane. However, the games are much, much better than the ACC games. It has intensity, quality, and a good atmosphere. 3 things the ACC tourney is sorely missing.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2011, 11:23 PM
After watching the State - Maryland game and the first half of the GT - VT game, we had to leave. We were not alone; we were in the midst of a stampede. My eyes were bleeding from watching such horrible basketball. Why can't those teams play that poorly when they play us? Watching both State and GT try to make shots from inside 2 feet is like watching a freshman Miles Plumlee on a bad day... Blech! :p

Mcluhan
03-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Maryland represents everything that's been wrong with the NC State program for the past 20 years. Because being as good as Maryland is totally realistic, but they can't do it.

burns15
03-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I am curious if you think Dino would have done any better this year. I am trying to remember if they lost players and/or recruits when they fired him and can't.

They didnt lose anyone, besides graduating Ish Smith, LD Williams, Chas McFarland, and David Weaver... and Aminu leaving early (but that would have happened regardless of who the coach was)

Kedsy
03-11-2011, 12:54 AM
They didnt lose anyone, besides graduating Ish Smith, LD Williams, Chas McFarland, and David Weaver... and Aminu leaving early (but that would have happened regardless of who the coach was)

Didn't their big man get kicked off the team in the pre-season?

burns15
03-11-2011, 01:19 AM
Didn't their big man get kicked off the team in the pre-season?

Correct, I forgot. Thanks.

Yea Tony Woods was kicke doff the team as well for assaulting his girlfriend

pfrduke
03-11-2011, 02:07 AM

The question was not about graduating players, but about people who would have been there but left after the coaching change was announced. Aside from Tony Woods getting kicked off the team, I don't think any active player left, but I don't know about recruits.

Matches
03-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Wake was headed for a disaster this season no matter who the coach was.

NC State, OTOH, should have been much better than they were. It's going to be a little painful to watch them fire one of their all-time great players in a week or so.

I'm figuring last night was Hewitt's swan song as well.