PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Daniels recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Hey guys, I stay away from a lot of the recruiting threads, but saw some noise on twitter that Coach K is in Bradenton today looking at DeAndre Daniels, who is being heavily recruited by Kansas and Texas, among others. Any scuttlebutt out there?

yancem
03-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Hey guys, I stay away from a lot of the recruiting threads, but saw some noise on twitter that Coach K is in Bradenton today looking at DeAndre Daniels, who is being heavily recruited by Kansas and Texas, among others. Any scuttlebutt out there?

I've seen a few rumors about Duke becoming interested in Daniels also, but nothing concrete. I'm not sure where he would necessarily fit in. He would seem to be a similar player to Gbinije and not necessarily more talented (ranked lower by scout and espn and higher by rivals). Plus we will very likely run a 3 guard offense next season with Cook/Thornton at the point with Curry and Rivers on the wings. Back them up with Dawkins and Gbinige and I don't see Daniels filling a need.

TheTrain
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
I've seen a few rumors about Duke becoming interested in Daniels also, but nothing concrete. I'm not sure where he would necessarily fit in. He would seem to be a similar player to Gbinije and not necessarily more talented (ranked lower by scout and espn and higher by rivals). Plus we will very likely run a 3 guard offense next season with Cook/Thornton at the point with Curry and Rivers on the wings. Back them up with Dawkins and Gbinige and I don't see Daniels filling a need.

Andy Borman is his coach....and Spatola's brother works with the team too

Greg_Newton
03-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Duke is looking at him, and I really like him as a prospect. He's got a lot of Kevin Durant in him... really, probably more than Quincy Miller does. The main thing I'm not sure about is whether he'd be able to guard/rebound the 4-spot. He's long, but I've seen him listed as 6'7 195-200ish some places... some places a couple inches taller.

We've already got a lot of wing players in the queue, but you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys. And if he's an inch or two taller, all the better.

wilson
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
...you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys...As an Atlanta Hawks fan, let me assure you...yes, you most assuredly can (thank you, Billy Knight).
That said, if K wants him, so do I.

-bdbd
03-09-2011, 09:40 PM
I wasn't familliar with DD, so I had to look him up on Scout. They list him at "6 foot-7 inches (or maybe 6 foot 8 inches)" and 195lbs. They show him as a SF/PF. He's from Woodland Hills, CA (isn't that the area Bilas was from?). It seems like he still has a large number of schools in play at this late date for a 2011 prospect. He's their 9th ranked PF for 2011, which likely makes him top-50 in the class.

The schools that seem to have caught his greatest interest are TX, Oregon, KA and maybe KY and FL and ASU. Interestingly, NC State is on his list too. He clearly doesn't seem to need to "stay near home," as some recruits do. Apparently he has a good 3-point shooting touch (quick release), is athletic (quick leaper) and "versatile" (I assume that means he can play multiple positions). Oddly his mid-range shooting is a little more suspect, and his handle isn't overwhelming. If Duke feels the need for someone from the class of 2011 who can have at least some interior impact, he might be a solid late pick-up.

I love the "great athleticism and great/quick leaping" label. It would possibly fill a Duke need next year.

sagegrouse
03-09-2011, 10:13 PM
I wasn't familliar with DD, so I had to look him up on Scout. They list him at "6 foot-7 inches (or maybe 6 foot 8 inches)" and 195lbs. They show him as a SF/PF. He's from Woodland Hills, CA (isn't that the area Bilas was from?). .

I believe Jay Bilas was from Palos Verdes, which is about 40 miles south of Woodland Hills and on a peninsula jutting into the Pacific.

sagegrouse

superdave
03-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I believe Jay Bilas was from Palos Verdes, which is about 40 miles south of Woodland Hills and on a peninsula jutting into the Pacific.

sagegrouse

Over by the In-N-Out Burger.

verga
03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Daniels is more athletic that Gbinijie and has a better handle, he's more of a 4/3 than a 3/4 if that makes sense?

jimsumner
03-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Jay Bilas is from Rolling Hills, California.

soccerstud2210
03-10-2011, 02:22 AM
Over by the In-N-Out Burger.

oh man. my mouth just started watering. miss me some in-n-out. mmmmmm

LSanders
03-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Jay Bilas is from Rolling Hills, California.

STILL by the In-and-Out ... :D

THE FUTURE
03-11-2011, 06:40 PM
DUKEHOOPBLOG retweeted that Duke offered Daniels a scholly

Richard Berg
03-11-2011, 09:44 PM
We've already got a lot of wing players in the queue, but you can never have to many of these athletic, versatile 6'7ish guys. And if he's an inch or two taller, all the better.
At minimum, Duke should be able to train someone with his physique to play a Lance Thomas-like role. If he can score like Deng (let alone Durant!?) so much the better.

ajgoodfella7
03-14-2011, 08:06 PM
A couple things:

I'm guessing that since Daniels was offered a scholarship, that Alex Murphy won't be reclassifying himself as a 2011 recruit. I haven't heard anything, but I don't think K would offer him if Murphy and Gbinije were coming in at the same time.

Also, I was reading the Jerry Meyer mailbag on Rivals.com, and he said the player who Daniels reminds him of most is Kyle Singler, which I find interesting considering that everyone says the same about Murphy.

2 Kyle Singler's on the same team? Yes, please!

lotusland
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
A couple things:

I'm guessing that since Daniels was offered a scholarship, that Alex Murphy won't be reclassifying himself as a 2011 recruit. I haven't heard anything, but I don't think K would offer him if Murphy and Gbinije were coming in at the same time.

Also, I was reading the Jerry Meyer mailbag on Rivals.com, and he said the player who Daniels reminds him of most is Kyle Singler, which I find interesting considering that everyone says the same about Murphy.

2 Kyle Singler's on the same team? Yes, please!

Looks like much better hops than Singler from the video. However the video doesn't reveal el corazon so the Singler comparisons is impossible to confirm. I couldn't find his wingspan listed but he appears to have Henson like reach. The weaknesses listed are that he is not very adept or accustomed to passing the rock and that he has frequent mental lapses. Sounds like he would benefit a great deal from Duke and coach K. There seems to be a lot of speculation that he is UK bound though.

verga
03-14-2011, 11:00 PM
according to Andy Borman at IMG Daniels has not received an offer.

ajgoodfella7
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM

That's odd... a few days ago it was reported by multiple sources that he was offered. I guess we'll just have to wait and see then.

Greg_Newton
03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Looks like much better hops than Singler from the video. However the video doesn't reveal el corazon so the Singler comparisons is impossible to confirm. I couldn't find his wingspan listed but he appears to have Henson like reach. The weaknesses listed are that he is not very adept or accustomed to passing the rock and that he has frequent mental lapses. Sounds like he would benefit a great deal from Duke and coach K. There seems to be a lot of speculation that he is UK bound though.

7'2" (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5673836).

IMO, Singler is a terrible comparison. Daniels is long with good athleticism and a pretty tight handle, but is very skinny and is mostly a finesse player. Singler was a skilled big wing with a limited handle and a power-based game in HS, kind of like Larry Bird.

texas
03-14-2011, 11:25 PM
in and out burger is making a big push to open a new market for them in the Dallas Ft Worth area . . . so, yeah i'm just grasping at straws here. i thought DD was a kansas lean the last time i checked.

ajgoodfella7
03-14-2011, 11:30 PM
7'2" (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5673836).

IMO, Singler is a terrible comparison. Daniels is long with good athleticism and a pretty tight handle, but is very skinny and is mostly a finesse player. Singler was a skilled big wing with a limited handle and a power-based game in HS, kind of like Larry Bird.

I've never actually seen him play, those were the sentiments of Jerry Meyer, who is Rivals.com national recruiting analyst. Here is his direct quote:

At 6 feet 8 Daniels has a well-rounded skill set and is a terrific outside shooter. His versatility at his length makes him good. His ability to spot up and stretch the defense with his outside shooting makes him great. Daniels is a smart player who typically makes good decisions on the dribble, but as he moves up to higher levels of play, it will be his ability to make shots that will separate him from his fellow combo forwards.

As far as weaknesses are concerned, Daniels needs to improve his physical strength. Also, he is a good athlete, but he is not a great athlete.

As for his position, Daniels is a true combo forward in my estimation. His primary position in college will likely be as a face-up four man, but he is fully capable of playing the three as well.

I don't see him as a one-and-done player, but I do see him as a player who will have the opportunity to leave prior to his senior year.

Unrelated to the fact that Duke has begun to show recruiting interest in Daniels, he reminds me of Kyle Singler as a player.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1199203

airowe
03-15-2011, 12:17 AM

Hmmm, where'd you read that? Maybe the TDD Premium board?

Greg_Newton
03-15-2011, 12:26 AM
I've never actually seen him play, those were the sentiments of Jerry Meyer, who is Rivals.com national recruiting analyst. Here is his direct quote:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1199203

Oh I know, that wasn't meant as an attack on you. I just happen to think Meyer is way off with his comparison.

CPDUKEGUY24
03-15-2011, 05:30 AM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/56932/deandre-daniels

Check the last piece of info. In the notes section...

Not that espn knows all, but aren't they usually LATE on getting the word out on these kids?

ajgoodfella7
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/56932/deandre-daniels

Check the last piece of info. In the notes section...

Not that espn knows all, but aren't they usually LATE on getting the word out on these kids?

Rivals has him with an offer as well.

ajgoodfella7
03-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Dave Telep seems to think that Duke is very much in the mix for Daniels. He even thinks the Andy Borman / Greg Spatola connections with IMG may give Duke an advantage. You need Insider to view:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6221185

rotogod00
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Dave Telep seems to think that Duke is very much in the mix for Daniels. He even thinks the Andy Borman / Greg Spatola connections with IMG may give Duke an advantage. You need Insider to view:

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog?name=telep_dave&id=6221185

Mentions that we're giving him a visit this week before the Tourney starts. Did he officially reclassify to the class of 2011?

Huh?
03-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Mentions that we're giving him a visit this week before the Tourney starts. Did he officially reclassify to the class of 2011?

I believe so, yes.

-bdbd
03-16-2011, 11:19 AM

I saw something from apx. two months ago where he said clearly that he was going to do this.

ACCBBallFan
03-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Hmmm, where'd you read that? Maybe the TDD Premium board?I do not sunbscribe ot any premium and I have seen this info that has been on the free boards for a few days.

Here is one I just saw on Zaglsblog

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/03/15/latest-on-jamari-traylor-deandre-daniels/#more-48778

Gorilla
03-19-2011, 04:05 PM
It sounds like duke is closing in on Daniels. It would be a great class if they did

trey_dre20
03-19-2011, 07:08 PM
In a free article from rivals.com it says that we are neck and neck with KU for Daniels. any of the recruiting experts have an analysis on his game or recruitment? he seems like more of a luxury recruit

COYS
03-19-2011, 07:36 PM
In a free article from rivals.com it says that we are neck and neck with KU for Daniels. any of the recruiting experts have an analysis on his game or recruitment? he seems like more of a luxury recruit

If the staff is recruiting him, they obviously don't feel this way. Daniels sounds like a guy who can make an impact his freshman, but would not necessarily be a one and done guy, either. That means he can come off the bench if necessary his freshman year before getting a more prominent roll his sophomore year. I'm sure the staff is not recruiting someone just to let them sit in the trophy case as an extra recruiting prize.

NSDukeFan
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
If the staff is recruiting him, they obviously don't feel this way. Daniels sounds like a guy who can make an impact his freshman, but would not necessarily be a one and done guy, either. That means he can come off the bench if necessary his freshman year before getting a more prominent roll his sophomore year. I'm sure the staff is not recruiting someone just to let them sit in the trophy case as an extra recruiting prize.

I think coach Cal already has his third straight recruiting trophy set to go in the UK trophy case. A threepeat would be the greatest accomplishment in UK's history.

Bluedevil114
03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
It sounds like duke is closing in on Daniels. It would be a great class if they did

Does this mean the coaching staff does not feel like Alex Murphy will reclassify? I understand Murphy is a small forward and Daniels is a power forward but it looks to me that Murphy would have to play the four to get on the court next year.

Krzyzewskiville
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah i imagine that Alex Murphy wont be coming in 2011.
However, I believe I read somewhere on here, you cannot have enough 6'6-6'8 athletic sf/pf's.

Bluedog
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Yeah i imagine that Alex Murphy wont be coming in 2011.
However, I believe I read somewhere on here, you cannot have enough 6'6-6'8 athletic sf/pf's.

St. John's has like 8 coming in next season. :D DeAndre definitely seems like an interesting prospect. If the Duke staff wants him, so do I!

enick66
03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I think coach Cal already has his third straight recruiting trophy set to go in the UK trophy case. A threepeat would be the greatest accomplishment in UK's history.

UK's greatest achievement was having 5 first round draft picks last year. Doesn't get any better than that for Coach Cal!

Newton_14
03-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Not that it means much, but Rivals shows him as having an offer from Duke.

Indoor66
03-20-2011, 07:32 AM
UK's greatest achievement was having 5 first round draft picks last year. Doesn't get any better than that for Coach Cal!

UK's greatest achievement was convincing the world that graduation does not exist.

enick66
03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
UK's greatest achievement was convincing the world that graduation does not exist.

Pulling a Keyzer Soze if you will.

timmy c
03-20-2011, 10:24 AM

It was Keyser Söze, Agent Kujan. The Devil himself. How do you shoot the Devil in the back? What if you miss?

~ Roger "Verbal" Kent

BD80
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM

It was Keyser Söze, Agent Kujan. The Devil himself. ...

The Devil is in the details?

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 12:53 AM
According to this UK site, Daniels is no longer interested in Kentucky. He is down to Texas, Kansas, and Duke. And hey, if he doesn't go to Duke, at least he won't be going to Kentucky. Hopefully Duke will soon be adding another member to its 2011 class.

http://www.nationofblue.com/kentucky-no-longer-option-daniels-5975/

Jackson
03-21-2011, 12:46 PM
This is probably posted somewhere else on the board, but I was just at the Rivals site and saw that Duke is basically in the lead for Deandre Daniels, the #9 rated player in 2011. I either hadn't noticed or paid attention to his recruitment, but it seems to be a pretty new development. Had thought we were done for 2011. He is listed at 6'8" 180, #3 rated small forward.

jaygdevil11
03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
This is probably posted somewhere else on the board, but I was just at the Rivals site and saw that Duke is basically in the lead for Deandre Daniels, the #9 rated player in 2011. I either hadn't noticed or paid attention to his recruitment, but it seems to be a pretty new development. Had thought we were done for 2011. He is listed at 6'8" 180, #3 rated small forward.

Duke is new to the party on this one. Looks like he would get the ship that was suppose to go to Quincy Miller.

G man
03-21-2011, 01:34 PM
There is no such thing as too much talent. I am just surprised that we are picking up another player, but from the looks of it the kid can play.

DukeWarhead
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Duke is new to the party on this one. Looks like he would get the ship that was suppose to go to Quincy Miller.

How would this affect the Shabazz Muhammad recruitment? Or is that a long shot now? I know Muhammad is a 2012 guy, but unless Daniels is a one and done, then Muhammad might want to avoid coming in behind him. But I am a novice when looking at recruiting issues anyway... I remember thinking that missing out on Kenny Boyton was going to cripple us.

Bluedog
03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
How would this affect the Shabazz Muhammad recruitment? Or is that a long shot now? I know Muhammad is a 2012 guy, but unless Daniels is a one and done, then Muhammad might want to avoid coming in behind him. But I am a novice when looking at recruiting issues anyway... I remember thinking that missing out on Kenny Boyton was going to cripple us.

Shabazz and Daniels play different positions. Shabazz is more of a 2/3 slashing guard, while we're recruiting Daniels as a combo forward. It should have no effect. Some might say having Sulaimon already committed affects Shabazz, but I can't see how Daniels would have any effect. Murphy (c/o 2012) and Daniels would compete more for minutes - Murphy, by the way, is now up to 6'9".

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Shabazz and Daniels play different positions. Shabazz is more of a 2/3, while we're recruiting Dnaiels as a 4. It should have no effect. Some might say having Sulaimon already committed affects Shabazz. I can't see how Daniels would have any effect.

Andy Borman said that Daniels is a "face-up three." He says "he's a guard, he's not a four." So I think that wherever Daniels ends up committing, he is likely going in under the assumption of playing at the three.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/03/daniels-remaining-at-img/

Bluedog
03-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Andy Borman said that Daniels is a "face-up three." He says "he's a guard, he's not a four." So I think that wherever Daniels ends up committing, he is likely going in under the assumption of playing at the three.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/03/daniels-remaining-at-img/

Hmmm, interesting. Jerry Meyer says he's a face-up four (as linked earlier in this thread):

As for his position, Daniels is a true combo forward in my estimation. His primary position in college will likely be as a face-up four man

But I guess Borman would know more since he's actually working with him. I guess Coach K doesn't play positions; he just has five players. ;)

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Hmmm, interesting. Jerry Meyer says he's a face-up four (as linked earlier in this thread):

I guess Coach K doesn't play positions; he just has five players. ;)

True dat... Daniels may very well be a 4, but I think that him and his coach think he's a 3. Of course, I remember there was a time when John Henson was supposedly going to be a 3 coming out of HS. I even heard KD-offensive-potential from at least one scout from rivals. As it turned out, not only does Henson not have any relatable offensive skills to Kevin Durant, he is not even capable of playing the 3 because he has no semblance of a mid-range game (or anything else further than about 5 feet from the rim). So I guess in the long run we won't really no what Daniels is capable of until he is on campus.

SupaDave
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
True dat... Daniels may very well be a 4, but I think that him and his coach think he's a 3. Of course, I remember there was a time when John Henson was supposedly going to be a 3 coming out of HS. I even heard KD-offensive-potential from at least one scout from rivals. As it turned out, not only does Henson not have any relatable offensive skills to Kevin Durant, he is not even capable of playing the 3 because he has no semblance of a mid-range game (or anything else further than about 5 feet from the rim). So I guess in the long run we won't really no what Daniels is capable of until he is on campus.

Actually Henson has developed a nice little jump shot that's good up to about 18 feet.

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Actually Henson has developed a nice little jump shot that's good up to about 18 feet.

He has definitely developed some offensive game in the last 2 years, but I like to be overly critical and extremely sarcastic toward anything UNC-related. It's gotten me through a lot of cold winter nights.

Jackson
03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Just from watching video of Daniels and Murphy, think it would be cool to see them on the floor at the same time. Both look really athletic, would be fun to watch them play together. Not counting Daniels as a done deal of course. Wonder where our class would rate in comparison to Kentucky if we do get Daniels.

jennja01
03-21-2011, 04:23 PM
but if daniels ends up in duke blue dont he, hairston, gbinije, and murphy all play similar positions? Dont get me wrong, im all for having a lot of talented bodies rotating in and out to keep everyone fresh, but i feel like atleast one of those guys is gonna spend a lot of time on the bench if he were to commit.

Krzyzewskiville
03-21-2011, 04:32 PM
but if daniels ends up in duke blue dont he, hairston, gbinije, and murphy all play similar positions? Dont get me wrong, im all for having a lot of talented bodies rotating in and out to keep everyone fresh, but i feel like atleast one of those guys is gonna spend a lot of time on the bench if he were to commit.

Hairston is a tad bit undersized 4, he cannot play the three. Similar to Lance.
Murphy is a 3/4 with good ball skills and a shot. Similar to Singler

I think Gbinije, and Daniels are the two that are the most similar and you cant have enough altheltic decent defenders that are 6'6/6'7 sf/pfs!

A-Tex Devil
03-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Memphis 2008, but with good free throw shooting imo

BD80
03-21-2011, 04:55 PM
... Wonder where our class would rate in comparison to Kentucky if we do get Daniels.

With sophmores, juniors and seniors playing for National Championships instead of just a bunch of frosh trying to figure things out on a national stage. Although I must say I find myself rooting for Calipari to at least make it to an elite eight this year (that will be wiped off the books some year in the future).

G man
03-21-2011, 05:14 PM
I know it is highlights and that always has to be taken with a grain of salt, but the guy is incredibly long, and has a nice stroke. Some have questioned his ability to fit in with a team. If he decided to go to Duke I think that problem would be resolved. Like I said I know its highlights, but he could be a great weapon.

BD80
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I know it is highlights and that always has to be taken with a grain of salt, but the guy is incredibly long, and has a nice stroke. Some have questioned his ability to fit in with a team. If he decided to go to Duke I think that problem would be resolved. Like I said I know its highlights, but he could be a great weapon.

How many guys has Duke had that you could describe as "long?" Elton, Luol, Nolan?

gam7
03-21-2011, 05:29 PM
How many guys has Duke had that you could describe as "long?" Elton, Luol, Nolan?

Casey Sanders?

G man
03-21-2011, 05:32 PM

Some of the issues we have faced in the past are long players can give Duke trouble. DeAndre appears to have the pure abilities to be a game changer on both ends of the floor. I am wondering if this offer is to help fill the PF hole that could exist if we miss in the 2012 class on a big.

burns15
03-21-2011, 05:44 PM
So I dont know if this was mentioned earlier, but his scout site seems to have a bunch of articles linked that suggest that he was going to enroll a semester early wherever he went.... obviously he has not, but does anyone know anything about this?

G man
03-21-2011, 05:53 PM
So I dont know if this was mentioned earlier, but his scout site seems to have a bunch of articles linked that suggest that he was going to enroll a semester early wherever he went.... obviously he has not, but does anyone know anything about this?

He originally committed to Texas then decommitted. Then he apparently was all set to enroll at Kansas. Then for whatever reason decided not to go to Kansas. Duke then got involved and around the same time period Kentucky withdrew their offer. A friend of mine at Kansas told me everyone thought it was a done deal to Kansas about a month ago. Everyone was shocked he was not on campus. So it really has been an odd recruitment for this young man.

crimsonandblue
03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
He originally committed to Texas then decommitted. Then he apparently was all set to enroll at Kansas. Then for whatever reason decided not to go to Kansas. Duke then got involved and around the same time period Kentucky withdrew their offer. A friend of mine at Kansas told me everyone thought it was a done deal to Kansas about a month ago. Everyone was shocked he was not on campus. So it really has been an odd recruitment for this young man.

Kansas had no free scholarships this year, having given one to a walk on at the start of the year. So, had Daniels elected to enroll, he would have paid out of state tuition on his own for the spring, gone through financial aid, etc.

Kansas is still recruiting him. Kansas's problem is that it's hard to know who all will be there next year. The Morris twins and Selby (and possibly Robinson) may leave early, and they may not (Selby's done little to justify it, but that's not always telling). Of course, Duke has Gbinije and plenty of guard/wing depth coming in and back, so you wouldn't think Daniels would be worried about Kansas's limited roster possibilities, but who knows.

TexHawk
03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Also, for the tin-foil hat crowd, KU is taking on Christian Garrett as a walk-on, Daniels's roommate/teammate/best friend at IMG. He's actually on the KU bench now in street clothes.

Article from late January, before Duke entered the picture: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2011/feb/16/kansas-walk-christian-garrett-settling/

“I lived with him throughout the year and I’ve known him four years. He’s like family, like a brother,” Garrett said. “There were a lot of schools I was looking at he wasn’t looking at. We’ve always wanted to go to the same school. We said we’d do what’s best for each other. The only thing I can tell him is that there’s nothing like this place. I think he knows that. I think it’s just going to be him making the right decision (for himself).”

<Insert Ronnie Chalmers/Ed Manning/Mike Lee joke here>

MartyClark
03-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Davidson, definitely Davidson.

jimsumner
03-21-2011, 11:05 PM

Hack Tison.

NovaScotian
03-21-2011, 11:10 PM

demarcus was certainly long, but nothing compared to either davidson.

Dev11
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM

I heard Nick Horvath could high five the Crazies from his seat on the bench. Just sayin.

tommy
03-22-2011, 12:08 AM

Mason Plumlee?

juise
03-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Mason Plumlee?

Is it possible to describe one Plumlee's body type and exclude the other? Did Miles get stuck with the T-Rex gene? ;)

jimsumner
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Duke has had lots and lots of "long" players, however vague the term is. It's a bit disingenuous, imo, to lament the longs who have hurt Duke without acknowledging that Duke has had a lot more longs who have hurt opponents.

G man
03-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Any of our insiders know anything?

jaygdevil11
03-22-2011, 03:45 PM
ESPN insider had this to say yesterday, interesting to say the least.

We recently noted that while DeAndre Daniels was a previous target for Kansas, Texas, Oregon and possibly Minnesota, it would appear that Duke is currently leading the pack to secure the forward's services. Assistant coach Nate James viewed Daniels on the court and Jerry Meyer of Rivals reports that the Blue Devils seem to have distanced themselves from the pack.

Since Duke will lose some key frontcourt players in 2012 (Kyle Singler, possibly Mason Plumlee), the addition of Daniels, a very talented offensive player, could be prove to be a nice counter to the firepower the backcourt will possess.

It will be interesting to see how Daniels' recruitment progresses. We were sure he was sold on Kansas but that seems to have quickly petered out.

Turtleboy
03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Hack Tison.Nice.

Kedsy
03-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Is this an existential question?

superdave
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Is this an existential question?

Do the insiders know they are insiders?

To a real recruiting question, does this have anything to do with where we stand with Shabazz?

loldevilz
03-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I think this kid is perfect for taking over Singler's role as the versatile forward. I especially like that he is a post-grad. I think that maturity level could make his transition to college a lot easier.
Seth Curry, Austin Rivers, DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Kelly, Miles Plumlee would be a nasty team.

Kewlswim
03-22-2011, 11:08 PM
I think this kid is perfect for taking over Singler's role as the versatile forward. I especially like that he is a post-grad. I think that maturity level could make his transition to college a lot easier.
Seth Curry, Austin Rivers, DeAndre Jordan, Ryan Kelly, Miles Plumlee would be a nasty team.

Hi,

I think Kyrie starts and Seth comes off the bench, but if you think Seth is better than Kyrie...you have the right to believe that. :-p

GO DUKE!

loldevilz
03-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi,

I think Kyrie starts and Seth comes off the bench, but if you think Seth is better than Kyrie...you have the right to believe that. :-p

GO DUKE!

Sorry, Kyrie is going pro.

dcar1985
03-22-2011, 11:33 PM

I still dont get the lack of excitement or understand why everyone is sleeping on Mike G. the kid has a great game, high bball IQ, and is physical...besides AR I think he has the most impact on next years team of the incoming recruits, maybe even more since AR is most likely 1 and done...Mike is gonna be a big time player during his time at Duke

Kedsy
03-22-2011, 11:45 PM

I still dont get the lack of excitement or understand why everyone is sleeping on Mike G.

Do you get it more or less than someone taking the time to talk about a future "nasty" team when we can field a current lineup including Nolan, Kyrie, Kyle, and Mason?

Also, the aforesaid "nasty" lineup failed to mention Andre and Mason, both of whom I would expect to be starters, as well as Mike G, Josh, Tyler, Quinn, and Marshall, who I wouldn't expect to start.

sporthenry
03-22-2011, 11:55 PM
I still dont get the lack of excitement or understand why everyone is sleeping on Mike G. the kid has a great game, high bball IQ, and is physical...besides AR I think he has the most impact on next years team of the incoming recruits, maybe even more since AR is most likely 1 and done...Mike is gonna be a big time player during his time at Duke

Well I think it is just the embarrasment of riches Duke has. I kinda feel bad for the players but I don't think they notice much. Thornton was the DC Gatorade POY and everyone here just relegated him to a non-factor his freshman year and a good 4 year player. MG could be a very dynamic player but don't see him being a huge impact player. The one thing that scared me a bit with MG is in his interview with one of UNC's recruits, he mentioned being a 1 and done, and while I think he will have a reality check, my one concern is that he won't necessarily buy into being a role player. (I'm not trying to start the whole transfer stuff, but its something to keep an eye on.)

But I think we always get excited by freshman's potential but K always seems to rely on older players unless they are KI or AR types. I'd say Thornton and Hairston will have a bigger impact than all freshman not named Rivers. I guess Cook could pass Thornton but I don't see it happening.

The starting line up will be 2/3 of the elder Plums and Kelly. It really doesn't matter as they will share time with Hairston grabbing probably 10-15 minutes next year. Then I could see Curry, Rivers, Dawkins b/c K likes having 3 guards and Rivers/ Dawkins are both 6'4. Thornton could start and Dawkins/Curry could come off the bench but I would be very surprised to see anyone other than Rivers start as a freshman.

sporthenry
03-23-2011, 12:06 AM
To a real recruiting question, does this have anything to do with where we stand with Shabazz?

Not an insider, but Bazz apparently had a good visit to UK saying he felt 'comfortable' there. In addition, he decided to see a UK game over the UNC/Duke game which should be indicative of both team's chances. UNC got Tokoto and if Duke gets Daniels, I'd say its all but over for 'Bazz and Duke.

Duke would have Daniels, MG, and Murphy already signed or at Duke. They'd also have Sheed and Dawkins to play the 2 and Curry would probably get some time off ball as Thornton and/or Cook progress.

loldevilz
03-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Do you get it more or less than someone taking the time to talk about a future "nasty" team when we can field a current lineup including Nolan, Kyrie, Kyle, and Mason?

Also, the aforesaid "nasty" lineup failed to mention Andre and Mason, both of whom I would expect to be starters, as well as Mike G, Josh, Tyler, Quinn, and Marshall, who I wouldn't expect to start.

lol. lighten up. I think this years team is about as good as they come. Just excited about DeAndre.

dcar1985
03-23-2011, 12:23 AM
Well I think it is just the embarrasment of riches Duke has. I kinda feel bad for the players but I don't think they notice much. Thornton was the DC Gatorade POY and everyone here just relegated him to a non-factor his freshman year and a good 4 year player. MG could be a very dynamic player but don't see him being a huge impact player. The one thing that scared me a bit with MG is in his interview with one of UNC's recruits, he mentioned being a 1 and done, and while I think he will have a reality check, my one concern is that he won't necessarily buy into being a role player. (I'm not trying to start the whole transfer stuff, but its something to keep an eye on.)

But I think we always get excited by freshman's potential but K always seems to rely on older players unless they are KI or AR types. I'd say Thornton and Hairston will have a bigger impact than all freshman not named Rivers. I guess Cook could pass Thornton but I don't see it happening.

The starting line up will be 2/3 of the elder Plums and Kelly. It really doesn't matter as they will share time with Hairston grabbing probably 10-15 minutes next year. Then I could see Curry, Rivers, Dawkins b/c K likes having 3 guards and Rivers/ Dawkins are both 6'4. Thornton could start and Dawkins/Curry could come off the bench but I would be very surprised to see anyone other than Rivers start as a freshman.

Yea I definitely agree w/ alot of things you said, as far as MG I didnt hear the 1 and done talk, not gonna happen though. But MG is not a put up 20+ shots a game has to have the ball player, thats actually been a big knock on his game is that he seems to float and fall into a role player role, I hope he comes to Duke w/ some aggresion. I don't see him not fitting into whatever role K has for him though.

I do think he can steal minutes at the 3 though, at 6'6 6'7 I think he has a far better handle than anybody else who would get minutes there besides AR....I love Dre and think he has star potential but the kid has to develop some kind of decent handle, its odd to me that at 6'4 he has the handles of a 7 footer...w/ that deficiency in his game that opens up the idea of sliding Rivers to the 3 w/ his size. I still see Josh getting clean up minutes, I think they increase slightly as his understanding of playing defense improves.

As far as line ups for next year like u said you've got a Plumlee, Kelly, or 2 Plumlees then its kind of a toss up...maybe Tyler has a great summer and gets handed the keys to the car which i could see because of his steadiness and good IQ w/ Seth at the 2 and Austin at the 3 or maybe u start Seth at point w/ AR at SG and Dre at the 3 which is the line up where I think MG could steal alot of minutes assuming Dre does nothing to improve his ball handling over the summer......Either way we should be pretty good, like u said an embarrassment of riches, talent at every position

DukieTiger
03-23-2011, 12:33 AM

I think Blake Griffin would probably start over R Kelly, but that's JMO.
:cool:

sporthenry
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
As far as line ups for next year like u said you've got a Plumlee, Kelly, or 2 Plumlees then its kind of a toss up...maybe Tyler has a great summer and gets handed the keys to the car which i could see because of his steadiness and good IQ w/ Seth at the 2 and Austin at the 3 or maybe u start Seth at point w/ AR at SG and Dre at the 3 which is the line up where I think MG could steal alot of minutes assuming Dre does nothing to improve his ball handling over the summer......Either way we should be pretty good, like u said an embarrassment of riches, talent at every position

It might have just been fooling around and I won't read too much into what he said. I agree that he can steal minutes but that would probably be in the range of 10-15 minutes which is respectable for a freshman but nothing unheard of. I did only see his game a few times and he did seem to get lost so I didn't think he would have an issue but we'll see if he struggles through his freshman year. But if Daniels commits, then it becomes a fight and I'd see it being like the Curry/Dre thing where each get their games to shine but neither is that dominant over the other.

Dre does have to work on his handle but it is getting better and I see him developing a nice pull up off the dribble. But in reality, all he has to do to get on the court is stay at his current defensive status or get better. I suspect they will work on him to get some more lateral quickness and perhaps that is why older players play for K is b/c they understand the D.

But I would say Josh gets 10-15 minutes probably the time Singler was at the 4. As of right now, the Plums and Kelly account for 62 of 80 minutes in the post. I'd expect their time to go up a bit but not too much.

ricks68
03-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Hack Tison.

Nice.

Freddy Lind.

ricks

BD80
03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Hack Tison.

Terry Chile

MChambers
03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Terry Chile

Mark Crow

devildeac
03-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Terry Chile

Mark Crow

Ahh, what the heck, throw Willie Hodge in there, too.

Man, you guys are making me feel old. Next thing you know, Ozzie will be posting something about his air horn or George Moses:o.

Indoor66
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Larry Saunders

Kedsy
03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Terry Chile

I reffed an IM game at Duke in which Terry Chile and Willie Hodge were on the same team (Business School, IIRC). They were both pretty long -- it was hard to see if the the frat boys were fouling down low while also trying to see if the big guys went over the top on rebounds. I gained some respect for real refs that day.

I also T'd Chile up for hanging on the rim.

jimsumner
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM

Man, you guys are making me feel old. Next thing you know, Ozzie will be posting something about his air horn or George Moses:o.

If I wanted to make you feel old, I'd throw in Doug Kistler. Or Marty Doherty. :)

roywhite
03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Larry Saunders

Did you know?....Larry's son Scott played on this year's Belmont team. Made 2nd team all-conference and Belmont had a great year. He has another year left.

BD80
03-23-2011, 11:23 AM
... I also T'd Chile up for hanging on the rim.

I can't see him arguing that he was so far off the ground that he needed to check below so he wouldn't land on someone, or that he had so much momentum he needed to gather himself before letting go.

Kedsy
03-23-2011, 11:34 AM
I can't see him arguing that he was so far off the ground that he needed to check below so he wouldn't land on someone, or that he had so much momentum he needed to gather himself before letting go.

Yeah, it was a pretty easy call.

Gthoma2a
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
I think Gbinije and him would work well together. We are rarely a position team, and if we are minus Mason next year (hypothetical of him going to the NBA), we could really use two wings for a small lineup with Quinn to distribute, AR, these guys and a rebounder (Ryan, Miles, or Hairston). This would be an alternative when we need more athleticism against a team. Seth in when Quinn isn't (Tyler as a defensive stopper, and for foul trouble), and Andre would still get minutes subbing for guys. This would give us insane versatility, and we would be able to pressure without fear of fouls due to the guys we have to throw in.

AAA1980
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Its just youtube clips but Daniels looks to have a hell of an upside..

Amazing two years ago people were questioning if Coach K could recruit on a elite level anymore..now we have an embarassment of riches of young talent coming in the next few years..

I still think Parker in 2012 is the big fish..if we can land a post player like that for the first time in years it iwll be unfair to the rest of the country..

AAA1980
03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
As far as MG as people have said i think we found a gem..Not that he was ever lowly rated but i think hes improved drastically from even last year when he was a 4 star number 29 recruit..

He was always a smoth polished player with a midrange game but now he seems to have expanded his range and has become a much more explsosive athlete..

Gthoma2a
03-23-2011, 03:48 PM
As far as MG as people have said i think we found a gem..Not that he was ever lowly rated but i think hes improved drastically from even last year when he was a 4 star number 29 recruit..

He was always a smoth polished player with a midrange game but now he seems to have expanded his range and has become a much more explsosive athlete..

Agreed. Him and Deandre out there would add matchup problems galore for other teams. They both have athleticism, length, long arms, and they can both shoot. I don't see a problem having both of them out there against a lot of teams. Two guards, two wings, and a big could be hard for a lot of teams to stop on D.

jv001
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
If I wanted to make you feel old, I'd throw in Doug Kistler. Or Marty Doherty. :)

And you can't go wrong with Randy Denton and Carroll Youngkin. I admit it, I'm old. GoDuke!

sporthenry
03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
I think Gbinije and him would work well together. We are rarely a position team, and if we are minus Mason next year (hypothetical of him going to the NBA), we could really use two wings for a small lineup with Quinn to distribute, AR, these guys and a rebounder (Ryan, Miles, or Hairston). This would be an alternative when we need more athleticism against a team. Seth in when Quinn isn't (Tyler as a defensive stopper, and for foul trouble), and Andre would still get minutes subbing for guys. This would give us insane versatility, and we would be able to pressure without fear of fouls due to the guys we have to throw in.

But this is my exact point. You think we will ever see 4 freshman on the court at one time? You really think Cook is going to come in ahead of Thornton. When Cook played Marshall's team, I wasn't that impressed and after you get past the first 10-15 recruits in just about any class, the instant impact of freshman is rare and random (Jeremy Lamb was the 43rd rated SG in his class, meanwhile many plenty of guys rated higher have struggled). Hairston was ranked higher than all guys we are talking about except Rivers and he doesn't get any time.

And it seems you are insinuating that Dawkins and Curry will be coming off the bench? B/c that is outrageous. And do you know what the biggest knock on Daniels is? That he isn't strong and has a lot of muscle to gain so all of a sudden, he is going to start in the ACC? Defense seems to be the last thing these kids seem to grasp and while I think everyone has some upside and MG could be a diamon in the rough, I expect you all will be surprised at how little these kids play. Remember, Hairston was the 19th rated prospect according to ESPN.

jimsumner
03-23-2011, 05:06 PM
But this is my exact point. You think we will ever see 4 freshman on the court at one time? You really think Cook is going to come in ahead of Thornton. When Cook played Marshall's team, I wasn't that impressed and after you get past the first 10-15 recruits in just about any class, the instant impact of freshman is rare and random (Jeremy Lamb was the 43rd rated SG in his class, meanwhile many plenty of guys rated higher have struggled). Hairston was ranked higher than all guys we are talking about except Rivers and he doesn't get any time.

And it seems you are insinuating that Dawkins and Curry will be coming off the bench? B/c that is outrageous. And do you know what the biggest knock on Daniels is? That he isn't strong and has a lot of muscle to gain so all of a sudden, he is going to start in the ACC? Defense seems to be the last thing these kids seem to grasp and while I think everyone has some upside and MG could be a diamon in the rough, I expect you all will be surprised at how little these kids play. Remember, Hairston was the 19th rated prospect according to ESPN.

I very much agree that experience is valuable and a few posters on this thread seem to be undervaluing Dawkins and Curry.

According to the RSCI rankings-with the final 2011 rankings to come--Hairston's consensus ranking was lower than the current rankings of Cook, Daniels and Gbinije. This is the only ranking service that I use, because they always throw out the Soviet judges. :)

Gthoma2a
03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
I am not saying there is no way they play above the guys, but I am saying that AR will likely earn a starting position. Tyler is going to have to get comfortable being in games. He is very good, but he isn't comfortable yet, and I don't see us playing him more this season to change that. Quinn's attitude makes me think that he will be fine (he is confident to the point that opposing fans would think he is cocky). As for Dawkins, I love the kid. He is one of my favorite players, but he has to work on his handle immensely, and then he is only 6'4, so he seems more a 2 than a 3. His athleticism is tops for a 3, but right now he isn't able to maneuver through a lane with the ball on a string like some of the other guys, and that leaves him a designated shooter unless the lane is wide open. Seth would start if we didn't have Austin, but I am just thinking the hype isn't for nothing on Austin (he is able to look pretty good against John Wall).

sporthenry
03-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I very much agree that experience is valuable and a few posters on this thread seem to be undervaluing Dawkins and Curry.

According to the RSCI rankings-with the final 2011 rankings to come--Hairston's consensus ranking was lower than the current rankings of Cook, Daniels and Gbinije. This is the only ranking service that I use, because they always throw out the Soviet judges. :)

Fair enough and I'd have to agree that is probably the most reliable way but even then, they are a few spots ahead of Hairston. But again, once you get past the first 11 recruits from last year, you had a mixed bag of effectiveness. So to rely on players ranked in the 20-30's to start especially for K is a bit ambitious.

sporthenry
03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
I am not saying there is no way they play above the guys, but I am saying that AR will likely earn a starting position. Tyler is going to have to get comfortable being in games. He is very good, but he isn't comfortable yet, and I don't see us playing him more this season to change that. Quinn's attitude makes me think that he will be fine (he is confident to the point that opposing fans would think he is cocky). As for Dawkins, I love the kid. He is one of my favorite players, but he has to work on his handle immensely, and then he is only 6'4, so he seems more a 2 than a 3. His athleticism is tops for a 3, but right now he isn't able to maneuver through a lane with the ball on a string like some of the other guys, and that leaves him a designated shooter unless the lane is wide open. Seth would start if we didn't have Austin, but I am just thinking the hype isn't for nothing on Austin (he is able to look pretty good against John Wall).

Well AR is the exception just like KI. But Thorton would have rarely seen the floor had KI not got injured and I don't expect him to play but players make the biggest jump from freshman to sophomore year. Just look at Ryan Kelly for any proof of what staying at Duke for the summer will do for confidence and getting you ready.

But K doesn't necessarily do positions and we have played 3 guards with G being the 3 if I remember correctly. And Seth/AR starting isn't mutually exclusive. For one AR is 6'4 so he could slide to the 3 or Curry could go to the 1. I suspect the starting backcourt will be 3 out of the Thornton, Curry, AR, and Dawkins crowd.

But K gives time from a defensive standpoint and AR seems to have the frame to play from day 1. MG has a pretty solid frame but Daniels will struggle with the strength of the game.

loldevilz
03-23-2011, 10:21 PM

I agree. His latest Vol.5 Highlight Mixtape showed tremendous improvement (and the domination of one James McAdoo).

What I think sets Gbinije apart is his skill level. He is one of the most fundamentally sound players I have seen in a while, with a game that shows 0 chance of difficulty translating to college.

If we don't get Daniels, I can definitely see Gbinije starting at small forward or at least playing significant minutes at the 3 if we go big and splitting the time with Andre.

Kedsy
03-23-2011, 10:24 PM
If we don't get Daniels, I can definitely see Gbinije starting at small forward or at least playing significant minutes at the 3 if we go big and splitting the time with Andre.

I can see either/both of Daniels/Gbinije playing decent minutes, but I would be surprised if either of them start.

CharlestonDevil
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Any updates here? I'm still a little confused as to how Daniels is the only player to not commit anywhere yet. What is the timeline for his decision?

superdave
03-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Any updates here? I'm still a little confused as to how Daniels is the only player to not commit anywhere yet. What is the timeline for his decision?

Apparently he was committed to Texas in the fall, then almost committed to Kansas. Now he's a Duke lean. I'm not entirely sure of the change of heart, but Duke appears likely.

airowe
03-29-2011, 09:58 AM
He'll come visit Duke soon. We'll see what happens after that.

There are a lot of people surrounding who have positive relationships with the Duke coaching staff and have been instrumental in getting Daniels and the staff to this point.

Seems like he's paying attention.

dukeballboy88
03-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I havent seen anything on Daniels, is he a McDonalds AA?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Yes his recruitment has been strange to say the least, just google his name and you will see he commited to Texas then supposedly to Kansas and is now a Duke lean.

Anyway here is how we are in on it: Greg Spatola and Andy Borman

"Greg Spatola is the director of basketball operations at IMG, meaning he works in the same office as Borman. Greg Spatola is also the younger brother of Chris Spatola, Duke's director of basketball operations. Chris is married to Jamie, the daughter of Coach K."

"Andy Borman, a native of Illinois, was a walk-on guard who earned a national championship ring with the Duke Blue Devils. He's an alum at IMG Academy and last June, Borman was named the basketball director at IMG Academy, the current residence of Daniels.
Borman, like Coach Mike Krzyzewski is a native of Illinois. Heck, it's better than that, he's the cousin of Jamie Spatola which makes him the nephew of Coach K."

Link: http://www.imgacademies.com/basketball-academy/news/duke-in-the-mix-for-deandre-daniels/1039/

nocilla
03-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Apparently he was committed to Texas in the fall, then almost committed to Kansas. Now he's a Duke lean. I'm not entirely sure of the change of heart, but Duke appears likely.

Is there any concern of him giving a verbal to Duke and then changing his mind again? When do they have to sign the LOI?

03-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I havent seen anything on Daniels, is he a McDonalds AA?

He was supposed to be in the class of 2012 but has reclassified for this year. Below is Scout.com's take and little bit of ESPN's as well.

DeAndre Daniels 6'8" 180lbs (Reclassified for 2011 and is the 3rd best SF 9th overall, 5 star prospect)
- He is considered a top tier player and potentially a 1 or 2 year guy before going pro. Guys ranked in the top 10 usually get big mins at any school and are game changers (not every time but majority of the time).

Strengths:
He has great size, Great Speed, Respectable 3 pt shooter and a good rebounder.

Weaknesses:
He is very slender, a little too aggresive at times leading to bad shot selection and overlooking open teamates.

Starter
03-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I've never seen Daniels play live, and I realize the risk of basing things on mixtape-style YouTube clips, but if that's the sort of player he is -- long, lean 1-or-2-and-done type with a jumper -- I could absolutely see him potentially being a starting player.

I mean, I really like Andre. It was great to see him hitting some shots at the end of the season. But despite flashes of athleticism, he's been relatively one-dimensional. Granted, that one dimension is a wonderful shooting stroke, but he doesn't get to the line and doesn't really distinguish himself on defense. I know he'll be a junior, and he'll play a lot regardless, but I don't think it's a given he starts. Curry offers a lot more, since he has some point guard skills and contributes defensively. Same with Thornton, I think Cook will play a lot more than he will even if neither start, since Cook is a much better player right now and the 3-4 year future of the point guard position at Duke.

If Irving does the logical thing and leaves (though we all hope he doesn't), I can potentially see it like this if Daniels comes -- and I apologize if this is more for the "Next Year" thread:

G - Curry
G - Rivers
F - Daniels
F - Plumlee
F - Plumlee

Bench (in relative order): Dawkins, Kelly, Cook, Gbinije, Hairston

Personally, I would hope Hairston does a little better than what I laid out here. I liked what I saw in limited time. Kinda crowded, but I'd be excited to see a team like this.

fisheyes
03-29-2011, 10:57 AM
If Irving does the logical thing and leaves (though we all hope he doesn't), I can potentially see it like this if Daniels comes -- and I apologize if this is more for the "Next Year" thread:

G - Curry
G - Rivers
F - Daniels
F - Plumlee
F - Plumlee

Personally, I would hope Hairston does a little better than what I laid out here. I liked what I saw in limited time. Kinda crowded, but I'd be excited to see a team like this.

Are you missing a Plumlee or are you assuming Mason is leaving?

jdk
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM

I would say Marshall redshirts.

Class of '94
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I've never seen Daniels play live, and I realize the risk of basing things on mixtape-style YouTube clips, but if that's the sort of player he is -- long, lean 1-or-2-and-done type with a jumper -- I could absolutely see him potentially being a starting player.

I mean, I really like Andre. It was great to see him hitting some shots at the end of the season. But despite flashes of athleticism, he's been relatively one-dimensional. Granted, that one dimension is a wonderful shooting stroke, but he doesn't get to the line and doesn't really distinguish himself on defense. I know he'll be a junior, and he'll play a lot regardless, but I don't think it's a given he starts. Curry offers a lot more, since he has some point guard skills and contributes defensively. Same with Thornton, I think Cook will play a lot more than he will even if neither start, since Cook is a much better player right now and the 3-4 year future of the point guard position at Duke.

G - Curry
G - Rivers
F - Daniels
F - Plumlee
F - Plumlee

I don't want to get this thread off topic; but I do think Daniels has the potential to make a huge impact on this team. He and MG would give us the kind of tall, long athletic players at the 3 and wing positions that we haven't had in little while (with no offense of Kyle) If he does commit and sign with Duke, the only change to your starting lineup that I would make is putting Cook as the starting PG. I know he would be a freshman but I like the idea of bringing experienced talent off the bench; and I think Andre and Seth appeared to have a nice chemistry when they were coming off the bench this year and playing together.

Duke76
03-29-2011, 11:02 AM
and is different in his ability to play and shot with his back to the basket....meaning he has post up moves,,,,,don't see him redshirting at all. he looks as strong to me as Mason and we need a real post player with offensive moves

Starter
03-29-2011, 11:04 AM

No, I just don't think Marshall plays a whole lot.

Kedsy
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't think Coach K has ever redshirted a healthy player. Plus, I'm sure a selling point to Marshall was the chance to play with his brothers, and if he can't play then that can't happen (since Miles will be a senior and Mason is unlikely to still be around in 2012-13).

If he does commit and sign with Duke, the only change to your starting lineup that I would make is putting Cook as the starting PG.

Do you really think there's any chance of Coach K starting three freshmen when he has so many quality veterans around? Personally, I've never seen DeAndre Daniels play, but if he's really a 1- or 2-and-done player he still might come off the bench like Corey Maggette in 1999.

Quinn Cook may get decent minutes (then again, he may not, we probably won't know how college ready he is until October or November at the earliest), but I'd be shocked to see him starting ahead of Seth.

Austin Rivers will almost certainly start.

devildeac
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM

G - Curry
G - Rivers
F - Daniels
F - Plumlee
F - Plumlee

Do you think Tyler Thornton will see some burn next season?:rolleyes:;)

Jderf
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
and is different in his ability to play and shot with his back to the basket....meaning he has post up moves,,,,,don't see him redshirting at all. he looks as strong to me as Mason and we need a real post player with offensive moves

He looks just as strong to you as Mason? Marshall is 6'11" and 215 pounds (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/64545/marshall-plumlee). Mason is 6'10" and 240 pounds (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204812457&Q_SEASON=2010). And, to be honest, it's not that hard to tell, either.

03-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Lets say Mason and Kyrie go:

PG - Seth
SG - Austin
SF - ???
PF - Miles
C - Kelly

To me the only hard one is the SF position. You could go so many ways with it, and I think K will toy with it the most early next season.

SF candidates:

DeAndre Daniels 6'8" 180lbs (Reclassified for 2011 and is the 3rd best SF 9th overall, 5 star prospect)
- Will start out being first or second off the bench and at some point be thrown into the starting spot until K figures out what works best. He is considered a top tier player and potentially a 1 or 2 year guy before going pro. Guys ranked in the top 10 usually get big mins at any school and are game changers (not every time but majority of the time).

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
He is very slender, a little too aggresive at times leading to bad shot selection and overlooking open teamates.

Micheal Gbinije 6'6" 194 (8th best SF 31st overall, 4 star prospect)
- Too me Gbinije will not play unless its mop up duty in a blow out but he should be an amazing 4 year player for Duke.

Strengths:
Has good not great size, good athlete, great basketball IQ

Weaknesses:
His defense is lacking like most players his age, he gets lost in the game due to lack of intensity and he lacks a quick first step.

Andre Dawkins 6'4" 205 (Junior guard, 8ppg past season)
- Should and will start based on expierence but lack of size could keep him from starting many games in the ACC. Another thing to consider is Andre loses confidence very easily and tends to disappear for several games at a time.

Strengths:
His stroke is to die for and gets him many 3's, has a good build for his size, has a better understanding of the defensive schemes than incoming players due to experience, good athlete and good explosiveness.

Weaknesses:
His confidence affects his play a bit too much causing him to go MIA for multiple games and he handles a basketball about like a middle school kid (a bit drastic but you get the idea).

Josh Hairston 6'7" 210 (Sophmore forward, mop-up mins last season)
- I do not see this happening at all but other have said it as an option. I do not see the foot speed or explosiveness for him to play SF. He very well could be our next Lance Thomas though (stays 4 years gives great defense and hustle and a nice little jumper from time to time). I think he comes in more at the PF position next year.

So by ACC play I see this:

PG: Seth (also mins at 2)
SG: Austin (also mins at 1 and 3)
SF: DeAndre (also mins at 4)
PF: Miles (also mins at 5)
C: Ryan (also mins at 4)

Bench:
1. Andre (mins at the 2 and 3)
2. Josh (mins at the 4)
3.Tyler (mins at the 1)
4. Marshall (mins at the 5)

This assuming we lose Mason and Kyrie and gain DD.

If Mason stays then I would say:

PG: Seth (also mins at 2)
SG: Austin (also mins at 1 and 3)
SF: DeAndre (also mins at 4)
PF: Miles (also mins at 5)
C: Mason (also mins at 4)

Bench:
1. Andre (mins at the 2 and 3)
2. Ryan (mins at 4 and 5)
3. Josh (mins at the 4)
4.Tyler (mins at the 1)

03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
He looks just as strong to you as Mason? Marshall is 6'11" and 215 pounds (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/64545/marshall-plumlee). Mason is 6'10" and 240 pounds (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22727&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204812457&Q_SEASON=2010). And, to be honest, it's not that hard to tell, either.

uhhh that weight is a huge difference imo.

CharlestonDevil
03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Airowe and Dynasty, thanks for the wealth of information. Seeing as how there will be a massive experience gap at the SF position next year, this seems like one of the few scenarios I wouldn't mind throwing in a one-and-done type player for a year or two.

Of course I think MG is going to be great but Double D sounds like he could fit in well next year.

Class of '94
03-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think Coach K has ever redshirted a healthy player. Plus, I'm sure a selling point to Marshall was the chance to play with his brothers, and if he can't play then that can't happen (since Miles will be a senior and Mason is unlikely to still be around in 2012-13).

Do you really think there's any chance of Coach K starting three freshmen when he has so many quality veterans around? Personally, I've never seen DeAndre Daniels play, but if he's really a 1- or 2-and-done player he still might come off the bench like Corey Maggette in 1999.

Quinn Cook may get decent minutes (then again, he may not, we probably won't know how college ready he is until October or November at the earliest), but I'd be shocked to see him starting ahead of Seth.

Austin Rivers will almost certainly start.

In terms of Cook starting, I think it could boil down to the style of play Coach K decides to run that he thinks is best for next year's team; and how college game ready Quinn is. Unless Seth improves his ball handling skills significantly, I think he's more suited to running a team in more of slow down, half court offense if he is the starting PG. From the limited games I've seen of Cook, I think Quinn could run a more uptempo style of play better than Seth. But you made an excellent point about starting 3 freshmen on the perimeter. But no matter who starts at PG, I hope the team is able to go back to a more uptempo pace because I think it will suit or bigs more.

jimsumner
03-29-2011, 11:51 AM

George Burgin-1986
Kenny Blakeney-1991
Matt Christensen-1999

Not common but it has happened.

BD80
03-29-2011, 12:16 PM
....Weaknesses:

You mean like "The Black Falcon" at crunch time?

Matt Christensen-1999

Matt was coming off a TWO year Mormon mission away from basketball - hardly relevant to the discussion.

pfrduke
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
George Burgin-1986
Kenny Blakeney-1991
Matt Christensen-1999

Also, I seem to recall K wanting to redshirt Olek, but Olek not wanting to redshirt.

CarmenWallaceWade
03-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I may have missed it, but has the door been closed on the possibility of Alex Murphy arriving on campus a year earlier than scheduled? I'm assuming that's the case..and that the coaching staff sees Daniels as another opportunity to lessen the impact of losing Singler. Is this accurate?

J4Kop99
03-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Did we sign Daniels?... or is this all hypothetical?

I find it funny that everyone is quick to write off Kyrie (and even mason) as leaving but then assuming that Daniels is automatically coming here.

MulletMan
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Matt was coming off a TWO year Mormon mission away from basketball - hardly relevant to the discussion.

Not relevant? I'm sorry... was The Monster stricken ill on his Mormon mission? Because I believe the statement was, "K has never recruited a healthy player." I think that in Matt's situation it was less to do with his two years away and more to do with the glut of interior-ish players on the '99 roster.

Brand
Battier
Burgess
Domzalski
Nate
C-well (a stretch)

So that's 6 guys that played more minutes that season than Matt ever played in a season. So... that may have more to do with why he redshirted.

In any case, Jim's inclusion is certainly relevant to the discussion.

J4Kop99
03-29-2011, 01:00 PM
I just watched a few videos on Daniels and it really is crazy how much he has mirrored his game after Durant. He says that Durant is his favorite player in an interview, and after watching him, it's pretty clear.

I would love to sign this guy, he is unlike our typical Duke players. Yes he's a little skinny but his potential is through the roof. He would help out a lot.

NSDukeFan
03-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Lets say Mason and Kyrie go:

PG - Seth
SG - Austin
SF - ???
PF - Miles
C - Kelly

To me the only hard one is the SF position. You could go so many ways with it, and I think K will toy with it the most early next season.

SF candidates:

- Will start out being first or second off the bench and at some point be thrown into the starting spot until K figures out what works best. He is considered a top tier player and potentially a 1 or 2 year guy before going pro. Guys ranked in the top 10 usually get big mins at any school and are game changers (not every time but majority of the time).

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

... He hasn't signed with Duke at this point or given a verbal.

Just thought I would add a weakness that I think is an issue, at this point.
Count me in the camp that expects a junior Andre to be starting as the bigger wing player whether or not Daniels joins Duke's squad next year.
That is not to say I wouldn't be very happy if Daniels joined the team.

Starter
03-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Do you think Tyler Thornton will see some burn next season?:rolleyes:;)

I mean, not in my book. He's not nearly as good a player as Curry, who made strides in terms of his point guard ability as the year went. And I would have to assume he's not as good as a five-star point guard recruit in Cook, despite predating him by a year. Then you have Rivers, Dawkins, Gbinije... Our rotation doesn't typically go past eight, and often stops at 7. I have nothing against Thornton, believe me. But would you conceivably play him over any one of the guys I listed -- a mix of experienced and talented wings, and up-and-comers who we hope will be pivotal parts of championship teams? No, right?

That said... this isn't to say that won't happen...

BD80
03-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Not relevant? I'm sorry... was The Monster stricken ill on his Mormon mission? Because I believe the statement was, "K has never recruited a healthy player." I think that in Matt's situation it was less to do with his two years away and more to do with the glut of interior-ish players on the '99 roster.

Brand
Battier
Burgess
Domzalski
Nate
C-well (a stretch)

So that's 6 guys that played more minutes that season than Matt ever played in a season. So... that may have more to do with why he redshirted.

In any case, Jim's inclusion is certainly relevant to the discussion.

C-well isn't really a stretch, I think he may have started more games at center than Matt.

Point is, we recruited Matt, and other post players in that time period, with the expectation that he would redshirt after his two year mission. Matt admitted upon his return that he was woefully behind in basketball as he barely picked up a ball over those two years (in Germany?) and played no organized competition.

I don't think we recruited Marshall with any intention of redshirting him.

airowe
03-29-2011, 04:28 PM
I may have missed it, but has the door been closed on the possibility of Alex Murphy arriving on campus a year earlier than scheduled? I'm assuming that's the case..and that the coaching staff sees Daniels as another opportunity to lessen the impact of losing Singler. Is this accurate?

No, that door has not been shut. If he comes early and DeAndre came as well, Alex would likely redshirt. He may do so even if DeAndre doesn't come...

Look for that decision to be made in the Spring.

Kedsy
03-29-2011, 04:33 PM
No, that door has not been shut. If he comes early and DeAndre came as well, Alex would likely redshirt. He may do so even if DeAndre doesn't come...

Why would he skip his senior year of high school just to redshirt?

Duvall
03-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Why would he skip his senior year of high school just to redshirt?

He may think that he can develop his game more quickly practicing and training at Duke than he would with another year of high school.

devildeac
03-29-2011, 04:47 PM
You mean like "The Black Falcon" at crunch time?

My senior-not-always-reliable-memory is telling me Matt took 7 years to finish at Duke, including a 2 year Mormon mission and a redshirt year. Anyone else remember it this way?
I had a roommate who took about the same amount of time but he was neither a varsity athlete or a Mormon. I'd bet his parents were not too pleased about that length of time, but, in his partial defense, tuition was considerably lower back in the Dark Ages.

devildeac
03-29-2011, 04:51 PM
I mean, not in my book. He's not nearly as good a player as Curry, who made strides in terms of his point guard ability as the year went. And I would have to assume he's not as good as a five-star point guard recruit in Cook, despite predating him by a year. Then you have Rivers, Dawkins, Gbinije... Our rotation doesn't typically go past eight, and often stops at 7. I have nothing against Thornton, believe me. But would you conceivably play him over any one of the guys I listed -- a mix of experienced and talented wings, and up-and-comers who we hope will be pivotal parts of championship teams? No, right?

That said... this isn't to say that won't happen...

My point was mainly that you left him off the list completely. I think he'll get PT as a back-up in the guard rotation but likely not start.

wsb3
03-29-2011, 04:52 PM
Do we know definitively that DeAndre has been offered? I ask because i have read it both ways in articles and free scouting reports. Forgive me if someone covered this and I missed it.

licc85
03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Do we know definitively that DeAndre has been offered? I ask because i have read it both ways in articles and free scouting reports. Forgive me if someone covered this and I missed it.

pretty sure we havent offered yet

CarmenWallaceWade
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Interesting.. Thanks, airowe.

jimsumner
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
C-well isn't really a stretch, I think he may have started more games at center than Matt.

Point is, we recruited Matt, and other post players in that time period, with the expectation that he would redshirt after his two year mission. Matt admitted upon his return that he was woefully behind in basketball as he barely picked up a ball over those two years (in Germany?) and played no organized competition.

I don't think we recruited Marshall with any intention of redshirting him.

I'm pretty sure my brief list of healthy redshirts under K addressed the implied question of whether K had ever redshirted a healthy player.

03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Andre Dawkins 6'4" 205 (Junior guard, 8ppg past season)
- Should and will start based on expierence but lack of size could keep him from starting many games in the ACC. Another thing to consider is Andre loses confidence very easily and tends to disappear for several games at a time.

Strengths:
His stroke is to die for and gets him many 3's, has a good build for his size, has a better understanding of the defensive schemes than incoming players due to experience, good athlete and good explosiveness.

Weaknesses:
His confidence affects his play a bit too much causing him to go MIA for multiple games and he handles a basketball about like a middle school kid (a bit drastic but you get the idea).

This assuming we lose Mason and Kyrie and gain DD.

... He hasn't signed with Duke at this point or given a verbal.
Just thought I would add a weakness that I think is an issue, at this point.
Count me in the camp that expects a junior Andre to be starting as the bigger wing player whether or not Daniels joins Duke's squad next year.
That is not to say I wouldn't be very happy if Daniels joined the team.

I realize that which is why I said "assuming we lose Kyrie and Mason and gain DD"

I expect Andre to start as well but I think at some point Coach would try moving Daniels into the starting lineup which I think would help better in acc play.

-This is all assuming we get him and he is as good as they say.

J4Kop99
03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
pretty sure we havent offered yet

This may be a dumb question, but if he is interested, why wouldn't we offer him a scholarship?

Do we get anything out of not offering one?

jimsumner
03-29-2011, 06:45 PM
This may be a dumb question, but if he is interested, why wouldn't we offer him a scholarship?

Do we get anything out of not offering one?

The formal offer likely will come during Daniels' visit to Duke. He knows where he stands.

J4Kop99
03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
The formal offer likely will come during Daniels' visit to Duke. He knows where he stands.

And we have no idea when this visit is scheduled for?... and if there even is a visit scheduled?

03-29-2011, 06:58 PM
"reported that Coach K took a trip down to IMG academy in Florida to watch Daniels workout and soon after the workout offered Daniels a scholarship."

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/03/deandre-daniels-update-3/

jimsumner
03-29-2011, 07:20 PM
And we have no idea when this visit is scheduled for?... and if there even is a visit scheduled?

Details still being ironed out. Likely first or second weekend in April.

Starter
03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
My point was mainly that you left him off the list completely. I think he'll get PT as a back-up in the guard rotation but likely not start.

Right, it was no accident. Especially with a coach that shortens his rotation in conference play, you simply can't play everyone. Everyone here talks about Thornton's defense being solid. I don't question his effort level, and he looks like a fabulous teammate, but in a lot of situations he seemed physically overmatched. I'll reiterate that if it were up to me, he wouldn't play over anyone I listed (and I listed 10 guys). But I'll also reiterate that the coaching staff could very well see it differently from how I do.

Regardless, I'll be very interested to see how this plays out with Daniels. Correct me if I'm wrong -- which I could easily be -- but I feel like Krzyzewski has very rarely added a player of this caliber this late in the game recently. I feel like our classes are pretty much ironed out well in advance, though I feel like Carlos Boozer was an exception. I think he signed in the spring?

monkey
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Regardless, I'll be very interested to see how this plays out with Daniels. Correct me if I'm wrong -- which I could easily be -- but I feel like Krzyzewski has very rarely added a player of this caliber this late in the game recently. I feel like our classes are pretty much ironed out well in advance, though I feel like Carlos Boozer was an exception. I think he signed in the spring?

Lance Thomas?

airowe
03-29-2011, 09:47 PM
"reported that Coach K took a trip down to IMG academy in Florida to watch Daniels workout and soon after the workout offered Daniels a scholarship."
http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/2011/03/deandre-daniels-update-3/

The formal offer has not come yet, but it is mainly a formality at this point.

Kedsy, Alex wants to come to Duke and learn from the best. He knows the more years that he's able to do this the better (I'm of the opinion that he wouldn't play at Duke for 4 years). It's actually pretty damn smart honestly. Unconventional, but smart...

Saratoga2
03-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Scout.com list him as being offered by Duke.

devildeac
03-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Right, it was no accident. Especially with a coach that shortens his rotation in conference play, you simply can't play everyone. Everyone here talks about Thornton's defense being solid. I don't question his effort level, and he looks like a fabulous teammate, but in a lot of situations he seemed physically overmatched. I'll reiterate that if it were up to me, he wouldn't play over anyone I listed (and I listed 10 guys). But I'll also reiterate that the coaching staff could very well see it differently from how I do.

I'll defer to our recruiting experts and those with better memories than me on your questions. You appear to be correct about the late additions, and my recollection about Boozer is that the staff knew Brand was leaving and that opened a slot/PT for Carlos to commit that spring.

COYS
03-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll defer to our recruiting experts and those with better memories than me on your questions. You appear to be correct about the late additions, and my recollection about Boozer is that the staff knew Brand was leaving and that opened a slot/PT for Carlos to commit that spring.

Lance Thomas was a big spring grab for Duke not too long ago, if my mind isn't failing me. In fact, I believe Lance and DeAndre were rated similarly, with Lance rated as the 20th best prospect by RSCI above guys like Jon Scheyer, Brian Zoubek, Robin Lopez, DJ Augustin, Quincy Pondexter and a number of other guys that had success in college and even the pros. After missing out on Brandan Wright and knowing McRoberts' time in Duke blue was short, he was considered a really big pick up (and indeed, he proved to be just that!).

sagegrouse
03-29-2011, 11:18 PM

As I understand it from those on the scene at the time, Carlos was solid Duke all year -- he just wanted to get all the facts before signing. Not just whether Elton was leaving, but whether anyone else was recruited at his position. It should be no surprise, in retrospect, that Carlos has a business-like approach to basketball. :p

sagegrouse

Kedsy
03-29-2011, 11:27 PM
The formal offer has not come yet, but it is mainly a formality at this point.

Kedsy, Alex wants to come to Duke and learn from the best. He knows the more years that he's able to do this the better (I'm of the opinion that he wouldn't play at Duke for 4 years). It's actually pretty damn smart honestly. Unconventional, but smart...

Thanks, Airowe.

Scout.com list him as being offered by Duke.

If I have Airowe and Jim Sumner on one side and Scout.com on the other, I know who I'm going to believe. You, of course, are free to believe otherwise.

Starter
03-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Lance Thomas?

Good point with Lance, though I remember him being in the Mid-40s in terms of ranking and I was really thinking like a top 10 level recruit. That said, I remember being very excited when Duke landed Lance; I went to a few of his high school games and loved what he brought to the table.

***Thanks for the RSCI ranking, interesting Lance was that high. Rivals had him at 43, something like that.

Wall obviously would have qualified if he had come, but it's hard to say we missed out there considering we, well, won a title without him.

tommy
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Does anyone who has actually seen them both play -- and I know that eliminates most posters-- have an opinion as to how DD compares to Miller in terms of:
A) skill set and
B) readiness to contribute at this level right away?

Descriptions of the players and their games and body types sound similar from what one reads. What about when you actually watch them play?

Kdogg
03-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Lance Thomas was a big spring grab for Duke not too long ago, if my mind isn't failing me. In fact, I believe Lance and DeAndre were rated similarly, with Lance rated as the 20th best prospect by RSCI above guys like Jon Scheyer, Brian Zoubek, Robin Lopez, DJ Augustin, Quincy Pondexter and a number of other guys that had success in college and even the pros. After missing out on Brandan Wright and knowing McRoberts' time in Duke blue was short, he was considered a really big pick up (and indeed, he proved to be just that!).

Nate James was also a really late pickup for Duke (late spring/early summer). That one also worked out well for Duke.

Saratoga2
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks, Airowe.

If I have Airowe and Jim Sumner on one side and Scout.com on the other, I know who I'm going to believe. You, of course, are free to believe otherwise.

What I stated was a fact.

MCFinARL
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
What I stated was a fact.

Well, I think this may be getting into semantics. It's true you stated the fact that scout.com lists Daniels as having a Duke offer. I don't think kedsy was challenging the accuracy of your report, just suggesting that he finds Airowe and Jim Sumner more credible than scout.com, but you are free to decide that scout.com's report is more credible if you wish.

jimsumner
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, I think this may be getting into semantics. It's true you stated the fact that scout.com lists Daniels as having a Duke offer. I don't think kedsy was challenging the accuracy of your report, just suggesting that he finds Airowe and Jim Sumner more credible than scout.com, but you are free to decide that scout.com's report is more credible if you wish.

Definitely semantics. There are different levels of offers. Daniels knows that Duke wants him.

lotusland
03-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Does anyone who has actually seen them both play -- and I know that eliminates most posters-- have an opinion as to how DD compares to Miller in terms of:
A) skill set and
B) readiness to contribute at this level right away?

Descriptions of the players and their games and body types sound similar from what one reads. What about when you actually watch them play?

Your questions reminds me that we cooled off on QM but now we after Daniels who seems similar. What's up with that?

airowe
03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Your questions reminds me that we cooled off on QM but now we after Daniels who seems similar. What's up with that?

Maybe there are ways in which Quincy Miller and DeAndre Daniels are dissimilar. :confused:

lilblue
03-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe there are ways in which Quincy Miller and DeAndre Daniels are dissimilar. :confused:

Hmmmm, maybe DeAndre has a little less baggage!:eek: Although I for one liked what I saw of Q's game in San Antonio for the U18 USA team!

COYS
03-31-2011, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm, maybe DeAndre has a little less baggage!:eek: Although I for one liked what I saw of Q's game in San Antonio for the U18 USA team!

Or maybe DeAndre really wants to go to Duke!

Faison1
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Looking back on it, it seems really odd that Quincy would end up at Baylor, considering he could have gone to Duke, Kentucky, or even Louisville. Especially with the fact that the bloom seems to be off of Baylor now.

Maybe I missed it, but by recruiting DeAndre, does it mean we assume Mason is going pro? Or are we just stockpiling?

COYS
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Looking back on it, it seems really odd that Quincy would end up at Baylor, considering he could have gone to Duke, Kentucky, or even Louisville. Especially with the fact that the bloom seems to be off of Baylor now.

Maybe I missed it, but by recruiting DeAndre, does it mean we assume Mason is going pro? Or are we just stockpiling?

It's obviously a possibility, but even if Mason stays, we've got essentially the same post rotation returning next year that we had this year sans Singler. That still leaves minutes at the 3 that can be filled by a combo of Gbinije, Dawkins, and potentially Daniels. Out of that group, only Daniels would be capable of sliding to the 4 for a smaller lineup. I don't see any way that adding Daniels is anything but good news.

wilko
03-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Folks sure are excited by this DD fellow.... acting like he is in the bag and a done deal and all that is a bit uncomfortable for me. If the young man should elect to go elsewhere all that's gonna do is amp up the "K cant recruit Blue Chip Post guys anymore".

Truth is we've had some pretty darn decent guys and the myth is unfounded. We've had fast post guys, plodding post guys, guys with great hops, guys with no hops, guys with good hands, guys with hands made of stone and managed to find ways to win games with ALL of them.

I got wrapped up in HB. I got wrapped up Felix. Lesser degrees QM and AR an KI. I've decided I only want to hear about it when its GOOD and a genuine done deal.

Its going to play out out it plays out and I have no control or impact so why allow myself to get frustrated for entertainment?!?!

Seems like a bad waste of energy and time... at least for me at this point in my life.

That said, if hes GOOD, I hope we get him...

TampaDuke
03-31-2011, 09:28 AM

Having lived near there, I'm still trying to figure how any high-profile basketball player has ended up at Baylor these last five years, especially anyone not from around there or at least from Texas. I'd really like to hear Scott Drew's recruiting pitch these days.

sagegrouse
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Having lived near there, I'm still trying to figure how any high-profile basketball player has ended up at Baylor these last five years, especially anyone not from around there or at least from Texas. I'd really like to hear Scott Drew's recruiting pitch these days.

Here's my top ten reasons to go to Baylor (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?16353-Quincy-Miller-to-Baylor&p=427211#post427211), taken from the Quincy Miller thread.

sagegrouse

BD80
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM

It is all in the handshake ... :rolleyes:

flyingdutchdevil
03-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Does Drew sneakily hand over a new set of car keys in said handshake? A 6 figure check?

lilblue
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Or maybe DeAndre really wants to go to Duke!

Probably so, but from what I understand of Q's recruitment is that Q really liked Duke also, it was the people (handlers) around him who swayed him toward other schools! K doesn't do entourages. If you don't believe me ask those in the know. Maybe airowe could shed some light in Q's recruitment. Regardless I hope DeAndre chooses Duke.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Or as we call it, the "Auburn Hand Slide"

MaxAMillion
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Folks sure are excited by this DD fellow.... acting like he is in the bag and a done deal and all that is a bit uncomfortable for me. If the young man should elect to go elsewhere all that's gonna do is amp up the "K cant recruit Blue Chip Post guys anymore".

Truth is we've had some pretty darn decent guys and the myth is unfounded. We've had fast post guys, plodding post guys, guys with great hops, guys with no hops, guys with good hands, guys with hands made of stone and managed to find ways to win games with ALL of them.

I got wrapped up in HB. I got wrapped up Felix. Lesser degrees QM and AR an KI. I've decided I only want to hear about it when its GOOD and a genuine done deal.

Its going to play out out it plays out and I have no control or impact so why allow myself to get frustrated for entertainment?!?!

Seems like a bad waste of energy and time... at least for me at this point in my life.

That said, if hes GOOD, I hope we get him...

I doubt you are going to see many post claiming K can't recruit blue chip post players based on Daniels recruitment. Daniels does not fit the profile of that type player.
I don't think you will hear much criticism at all actually.

Kedsy
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
I doubt you are going to see many post claiming K can't recruit blue chip post players based on Daniels recruitment. Daniels does not fit the profile of that type player.

Obviously you aren't from around these parts.

Duke Parent 06
03-31-2011, 01:59 PM

They tell them about Waco's glorious park along the Brazos River, named Cameron Park. :cool:

wilko
03-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Criticism is a 1st language for a lot of folks here.

Jim3k
03-31-2011, 08:14 PM
What about Tison's partner in crime, Jay Buckley?

Of course, Jay is 68 now, and might have lost a step or two. Could ask Clay B. to sub for the old man.

wilko
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Twit-heads are saying that DD will visit Duke very Soon.
April 15th or thereabouts

G man
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
So the Kansas board is about to go into melt down. They are all freaking out that they are not going to get another recruit this year. Well the last update on their board basically said that the supposed big interest in Duke was coming more from Andrew Borman than from Daniels. That being said if he was sold on Kansas he would have committed already.

SCMatt33
04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
So the Kansas board is about to go into melt down. They are all freaking out that they are not going to get another recruit this year. Well the last update on their board basically said that the supposed big interest in Duke was coming more from Andrew Borman than from Daniels. That being said if he was sold on Kansas he would have committed already.

Even if Daniels doesn't go there, don't they still have a decent shot at Ben McLemore when he decides on Monday?

fh84
04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
according to Jerry Meyer @ Rivals, "Duke stands out as the leader"

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1207111

wilko
04-01-2011, 09:49 PM
"Duke stands out as the leader"

Whether this turns out to be the case with DD or not... you can never hear those words tooooo much!

G man
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Even if Daniels doesn't go there, don't they still have a decent shot at Ben McLemore when he decides on Monday?

Supposedly he wanted to go to KU all along but his mother wanted him to play for Mizzou. Since Anderson has left Mizzou most feel that his mother will relax on the idea of going to KU.

dcar1985
04-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Anybody know anything about this kid besides him being ranked highly and looking decent in sum youtube highlights? Most of which seem to be from last year.Anyone actually seen him play? Most recent footage I could find on him was him getting dunked on by Nick Johnson from Findlay Prep...There seems to be alot of hype on the board for him, I hope it's warranted. If he does decide to attend Duke then great the more talent the better in my opinion Im just not ready to throw him into the starting line up like alot of people seem to be.

dyemeduke
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Supposedly he wanted to go to KU all along but his mother wanted him to play for Mizzou. Since Anderson has left Mizzou most feel that his mother will relax on the idea of going to KU.

I thought it was that he wanted to go to Texas, but his Dad didn't want him to go there?...

Greg_Newton
04-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Anybody know anything about this kid besides him being ranked highly and looking decent in sum youtube highlights? Most of which seem to be from last year.Anyone actually seen him play? Most recent footage I could find on him was him getting dunked on by Nick Johnson from Findlay Prep...There seems to be alot of hype on the board for him, I hope it's warranted. If he does decide to attend Duke then great the more talent the better in my opinion Im just not ready to throw him into the starting line up like alot of people seem to be.

He's 6'8, very lanky, with a 7'2-ish wingspan... very good handle for his size, good shooter, needs to add muscle and work on his passing/vision, it seems. FWIW, the people that know their stuff seem to think he's top 10-20 talent with a legit shot to start from day one. Certainly an exciting guy to grab at the last minute if we can close the deal.

If anyone gets CBS College Sports, I think he's on at 3PM today in some all-star game.

dcdrumsinc
04-03-2011, 12:01 PM
He's 6'8, very lanky, with a 7'2-ish wingspan... very good handle for his size, good shooter, needs to add muscle and work on his passing/vision, it seems. FWIW, the people that know their stuff seem to think he's top 10-20 talent with a legit shot to start from day one. Certainly an exciting guy to grab at the last minute if we can close the deal.

If anyone gets CBS College Sports, I think he's on at 3PM today in some all-star game.

He reminds me of a younger trevor ariza, with the same build, same type of game and even from the same LA area. Taft is the same school jordan farmar came from and plays a lot of top tier schools in california. The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal, considering taylor king, larry drew, the ware twins

Kedsy
04-03-2011, 12:12 PM
The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal, considering taylor king, larry drew, the ware twins

Sounds like both teams have had decent success recruiting from the area, just that the kids they recruited didn't work out so well.

CharlestonDevil
04-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Why wasn't Daniels in the McDonald's all American game? He certainly has the talent/skill level.

SuperTurkey
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Why wasn't Daniels in the McDonald's all American game? He certainly has the talent/skill level.

As has been discussed a few times in this thread, he's a 5th year senior and is thus ineligible. Same with Gbinije.

dchen09
04-03-2011, 01:15 PM
He reminds me of a younger trevor ariza, with the same build, same type of game and even from the same LA area. Taft is the same school jordan farmar came from and plays a lot of top tier schools in california. The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal, considering taylor king, larry drew, the ware twins

You forgot Demarcus Nelson. He turned out pretty well.

sagegrouse
04-03-2011, 01:30 PM
You forgot Demarcus Nelson. He turned out pretty well.

Geography lesson!

Markie's hometown was Elk Grove, CA, a suburb of Sacramento, and definitely not in Southern California.

sagegrouse

OZ
04-03-2011, 02:06 PM
"The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal"

Bilas?

SuperTurkey
04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
"The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal"

Bilas?

I'm not sure an example from 30 years ago is a meaningful counterpoint.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM

It says it was supposed to be on, but all I see is the Women's NIT championship. I had no idea there even was a Women's NIT. I don't know if it will be on later. Lame.

sagegrouse
04-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Bilas?

Cherokee Parks was not only from Southern California (Huntington Beach), he had a given name that could only have been bestowed by true hippies.

Moreover, his classmate Eric Meek was from just down the road in Escondido.

Of course, Cheorkee and Eric entered Duke 20 years ago.

sagegrouse

OZ
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dcdrumsinc
The funny thing is duke nor carolina have had much success recruiting kids from so. cal, considering taylor king, larry drew, the ware twins

So, what exactly is the point?
I didn't notice a time line on this statement.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
It says it was supposed to be on, but all I see is the Women's NIT championship. I had no idea there even was a Women's NIT. I don't know if it will be on later. Lame.

Wow, and apparently it's a REPLAY of the game, which was yesterday. What a joke.

The replay of the game Daniels is playing in is allegedly at 9:30 ET on CBS Sports tomorrow (Monday).

Bluedevil114
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Doe anyone know if Coach K and his staff are at the High School All-American Game North vs. South? Looks like Tony Parker is putting on a show there.

bob blue devil
04-03-2011, 03:53 PM

still a bit stale, but wasn't ricky price a big get from so cal?

jimsumner
04-03-2011, 04:50 PM

As was Chris Burgess. Not sure which side of the argument this supports. :)

dcar1985
04-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Mike G and Alex Murphy are playing currently on ESPNU in All American All Star game...check em out

SuperTurkey
04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
So, what exactly is the point?
I didn't notice a time line on this statement.

Fair question. IMHO, citing a recruit who arrived at Duke 10 years before the current class of seniors was born isn't going to convince anyone that Duke is successful with kids from socal.

JasonEvans
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Yup, Ricky is from the LA suburb of Gardena.

Jamal Boykin was also from the LA area and he is a very recent recruit. Folks already mentioned Markie, Burgess, and several others. JD Simpson was also from NoCal, though he was not a recruited athlete, I don't think.

It is true that Duke has not gotten a lot of guys out of SoCal in the past decade or so, but it is always tough to get kids away from their home region -- especially if there are viable big-time programs in that region. It is a bit like complaining that UCLA does not have many players on their roster from the DC area (UCLA in fact has only one player from outside the Pacific time zone, a kid from Chicago).

Anyway, I doubt this is much of an issue for DD as he is largely looking at programs well outside of his original home time zone.

-Jason "UNC didn't have much history landing kids from Iowa before landing Barnes... so what?" Evans

Bluedevil114
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Mike G and Alex Murphy are playing currently on ESPNU in All American All Star game...check em out

Dont forget Rasheed Suliamon. Shabazz is there also.

gumbomoop
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
FYI - Rosters for the inaugural All-American Championship:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/aac/aac_rosters11.pdf

BTW, I have DirecTV, and my on-screen preview listing says ESPNU will have the North-South game tonight at 9, and East-West at 10:30.

tommy
04-03-2011, 06:35 PM

If you're trying to say that we haven't sought out that many kids from southern california, you're right. We haven't been hot on the trail of that many. It's been a handful over the years.

But if you're trying to say that we've had a lot of swinging and missing out here on kids, that I disagree with. So I guess it depends on your definition of recruiting "success" -- sheer number of kids landed, or % of kids you're pursuing that you land.

Greg_Newton
04-03-2011, 08:15 PM
FYI - Rosters for the inaugural All-American Championship:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/aac/aac_rosters11.pdf

BTW, I have DirecTV, and my on-screen preview listing says ESPNU will have the North-South game tonight at 9, and East-West at 10:30.

These were on ESPN3 earlier today, and might be available for replay by now.

In the E-W game, Murphy and Sulaimon impressed - Murphy just made a lot of positive plays when he was in, and Sulaimon ran PG for a while and looked good doing it. Gbinije seemed a little off all game - I don't think the pickup nature of all-star games suits him - but had a few nice blocks in the lane and played an important role in the late-game comeback. Shabazz also looked good as advertised.

In the N-S game, I heard Parker had a dominant first half but seemed winded in the second. Didn't watch it though.

gumbomoop
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
In the E-W game, Murphy and Sulaimon impressed - Murphy just made a lot of positive plays when he was in, and Sulaimon ran PG for a while and looked good doing it. Gbinije seemed a little off all game - I don't think the pickup nature of all-star games suits him - but had a few nice blocks in the lane and played an important role in the late-game comeback. Shabazz also looked good as advertised.

Sulaimon - http://twitter.com/DaveTelep/status/54672164351250432

sporthenry
04-03-2011, 11:57 PM
6'6 SF Ben McLemore committed to Kansas so I'd ahve to think this helps Duke at least a little bit. I know some project him as a 4 but it would still cut into his PT. I guess if the Morris twins leave, it opens up a lot of room for him but I doubt Robinson leaves so he'd probably be behind him unless Robinson moves to the 4.

UK will also be loaded between Witjer, Davis and Gilrchrist. Not that Duke won't also be loaded either but he'd prob have an easier time cracking their line up down the road.

dukeballboy88
04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Im watching the east and west game now and the more I watch Mike Gbinije the more I like him. He has a good motor, good defensive player and aint afraid to carry it in amongst the trees. MG is a major reason the east has come back and made it a game. He and Alex Murphy are playing well together.

revmel53
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I too am hoping McLemore's decision will give allow us to build momentum with Daniels. Any chance he might commit during Duke visit? Or any reason to think that, if things go well, he won't?

A-Tex Devil
04-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I too am hoping McLemore's decision will give allow us to build momentum with Daniels. Any chance he might commit during Duke visit? Or any reason to think that, if things go well, he won't?

From everything I've read, we can look at this with cautious optimism. After all, he was in the bag with Texas when he verballed there and in the bag with KU when his buddy was allowed to enroll in the spring and walk on.

It's the type of recruitment that wouldn't surprise me if a UK/ Memphis/ Indiana/ 'Zona/ UCLA type jumped out at the last minute and stole him out from under everyone.

Phoenix22
04-07-2011, 11:42 AM
"DeAndre Daniels will visit the Duke Blue Devils in mid-April. That would be the official version." - Dave Telep via Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/DaveTelep

Class of '94
04-07-2011, 12:13 PM
From everything I've read, we can look at this with cautious optimism. After all, he was in the bag with Texas when he verballed there and in the bag with KU when his buddy was allowed to enroll in the spring and walk on.

It's the type of recruitment that wouldn't surprise me if a UK/ Memphis/ Indiana/ 'Zona/ UCLA type jumped out at the last minute and stole him out from under everyone.

Obviously, anything can happen; but I believe someone posted a link earlier that mentioned Daniels had dropped UK from consideration; and it was down to just a few schools.

jimrowe0
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Obviously, anything can happen; but I believe someone posted a link earlier that mentioned Daniels had dropped UK from consideration; and it was down to just a few schools.

From what I understand its a two horse race, Duke and Kansas.

Class of '94
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM

That is good to hear.....I like our chances.....

The Gordog
04-07-2011, 12:51 PM

K has never, EVER, redshirted a player unless they are injured. Personally, I hope Marshall has a healthy and productive year coming off the bench.

Bluedog
04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
K has never, EVER, redshirted a player unless they are injured. Personally, I hope Marshall has a healthy and productive year coming off the bench.

As previously indicated by Jim Sumner:

George Burgin-1986
Kenny Blakeney-1991
Matt Christensen-1999

The Gordog
04-07-2011, 01:17 PM
As previously indicated by Jim Sumner:

I'll take his professional word for it, even though it conflicts with my amateur memory.

bdevil4life
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Thomas Robinson announced he was returning to KU yesterday, so that has to help our chances along with McLemore signing.

rotogod00
04-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Very positive words from Telep:

"He played as a post graduate player at IMG this year and Duke's interest has been swift," Telep said. "With him on campus soon, this one could be heading towards a resolution few saw coming two months ago. But, Duke seemingly has him surrounded."

dukedoc
04-07-2011, 03:08 PM
Kyrie via Wiederer seems positive about DeAndre's recruitment too

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/April-2011/DeAndre-Daniels-to-Duke--Kyrie-Irving-sure-seems-t

jimrowe0
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Kyrie via Wiederer seems positive about DeAndre's recruitment too

http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/April-2011/DeAndre-Daniels-to-Duke--Kyrie-Irving-sure-seems-t

Looks like Kyrie let it slip and DeAndre is headed to Duke. Great news!

J4Kop99
04-07-2011, 03:55 PM
^ wow, if that's true, I am very excited. Daniels seems to have incredible potential while already having a ton of talent. Reminds me of a combo between Deng and Durant. Must be the first letter in his last name...

licc85
04-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Everyone I've talked to and everything I've read seems to say he's a Duke lock. I hope he commits after the visit!

Gewebe14
04-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Is there a reason Deandre Daniels isn't on the ESPN 100?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings

dukedoc
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I believe he is a fifth year senior. I might be wrong but I think that affects his eligibility for certain rankings listings.

timmy c
04-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Daniels is a post graduate student at IMG. He was originally in the 2010 class before deciding to wait to enroll in college.

This has given him a year to mature and put muscle on his frame.

dcar1985
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
I believe he is a fifth year senior. I might be wrong but I think that affects his eligibility for certain rankings listings.

I think its the fact that hes not actually in high school but attending a prep school. Mike G is also a 5th year senior hence him not being eligible for the McDonalds AA game

Bluedog
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM

It's not that he's a fifth year senior exactly...John Wall was a fifth year senior and was ranked by all the recruiting services. Wall, however, reclassified earlier in his career. Daniels was in the Class of 2010 and graduated from high school, and then did a post-grad year. So, I would think ESPN would have had him ranked in the class of 2010, but maybe they removed him or he wasn't in the top 100 at that point, and that's why did a PG year to improve his game and stock.

One scout site that lists him Class of 2010 shows him as unranked:

http://arizonastate.scout.com/a.z?s=43&p=8&c=1&nid=4026685

He must have improved a lot in the past year. Rivals has him as the #9 player in the class:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-DeAndre-Daniels-83314

Edit: the above posters beat me to it...

rotogod00
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM

As others have noted, as a post-graduate player, he's been omitted from the ESPNU 100.

But based on his numerical and star values, he'd be somewhere between 41 and 58.

dcar1985
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
I've been checking out any and every bit of footage I can find on Daniels.....Im jus not seeing it, I knows hes ranked highly (somewhere) but Im not really impressed w/ his game besides the fact that hes long and seems to be a good shot blocker at 6'9, decent shooter, decent athlete, seems like a poor mans Q Miller more so than Durant....I for one feel like the more talent the better so hopefully Im completely wrong and the kid is a stud but from everything I've seen on him I wouldn't think so...anyone seen him play or see something Im missing?

moonpie23
04-07-2011, 05:14 PM

i hope every duke recruit comes in and excels IMMEDIATELY.......if that means taking big brother's starting spot, so be it....i'm pretty sure that if mp3 winds up starting, it's because K and the staff has seen him EARN that gig...

let the playas play.....

northernduke
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
"I think we have about five recruits coming in with the addition of DeAndre Daniels, so that would be five recruits. It would be really special because that would give me the chance to lead the team similar to what Kemba Walker was doing at UConn," Irving said.

When pondering a what if about returning, Kyrie might have let on to something yet to be made public.

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6305059)

DukeFanSince1990
04-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been checking out any and every bit of footage I can find on Daniels.....Im jus not seeing it, I knows hes ranked highly (somewhere) but Im not really impressed w/ his game besides the fact that hes long and seems to be a good shot blocker at 6'9, decent shooter, decent athlete, seems like a poor mans Q Miller more so than Durant....I for one feel like the more talent the better so hopefully Im completely wrong and the kid is a stud but from everything I've seen on him I wouldn't think so...anyone seen him play or see something Im missing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUBj_NYR5R8

Notice that most of these high lights are from 3 or 4 games, four minutes worth....I think it shows a consistent offensive game. He is 6'9 and has a SOLID stroke from 3 and likes to run the floor. I would hate to miss him.

MaxAMillion
04-07-2011, 08:31 PM
"I think we have about five recruits coming in with the addition of DeAndre Daniels, so that would be five recruits. It would be really special because that would give me the chance to lead the team similar to what Kemba Walker was doing at UConn," Irving said.

When pondering a what if about returning, Kyrie might have let on to something yet to be made public.

story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6305059)

Is he alllowed to make those comments? I know Coach K couldn't say it, but can a person associated with the basketball program talk about a recruit coming to their school?

Atlanta Duke
04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Is he alllowed to make those comments? I know Coach K couldn't say it, but can a person associated with the basketball program talk about a recruit coming to their school?

As of yesterday afternon Kyrie Irving is as much associated with Duke basketball as Jay Williams and Jay Bilas are - K may not be pleased he said it but I doubt there is anything the NCAA can do about it