PDA

View Full Version : What will the NCAA do to Ohio State?

SoCalDukeFan
03-09-2011, 12:47 AM
So Tressel know all along that his star players were selling memorabilia and did not bother to tell his compliance officer or the NCAA.

The NCAA looked like stooges when they let the Ohio State players play in the Sugar Bowl. What will they do now/

Probably ban Youngstown State from the NCAA basketball tournament for 5 years.

SoCal

4decadedukie
03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
SoCal -

I would like to believe the message of NCAA regulatory ineptness and emasculation you covey is incorrect, however, I simply cannot. Poor Youngstown State, about to be hammered again.
:)

Channing
03-09-2011, 09:23 AM
as was mentioned on SC this morning, Dez Bryant's career was basically terminated for misleading the NCAA. Lets see how consistent they will be...

I would love to see a 1 yr coaching ban, but taht would never happen.

ChicagoHeel
03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Every time something like this happens, I feel so thankful that my program- or at least the part of my program that I care about (i.e. basketball)- has been spared a scandal. Actually, same thing for Duke. I would be happy to see just about any scourge settle on Duke, but injuries and scandal are something I always hope both programs can avoid.

roywhite
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd like to see a stiff penalty, but I expect this to be more of a slap on the wrist.

Maybe the OSU band will spell out "probation" and Jim Tressel will get to dot the i.

devildeac
03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd like to see a stiff penalty, but I expect this to be more of a slap on the wrist.

Maybe the OSU band will spell out "probation" and Jim Tressel will get to dot the i.

And then have the players/boosters sell the videos of the half-time show:rolleyes:.

moonpie23
03-09-2011, 11:17 AM
they will prolly assess a technical foul on daniel ewing and then, do nothing...

the ncaa is a joke...how can something so powerful be so weak.???

-bdbd
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Every time something like this happens, I feel so thankful that my program- or at least the part of my program that I care about (i.e. basketball)- has been spared a scandal. Actually, same thing for Duke. I would be happy to see just about any scourge settle on Duke, but injuries and scandal are something I always hope both programs can avoid.

Well, be thankful at least, as NCAA "softness" here (with Ohio State) probably would bode well vis-a-vis Butch Davis and the heels pending punishment.

jdj4duke
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
They will have UNC and OSU scrimmage at a neutral site and then have the loser buy lunch and both teams will have to listen to a Charlie Sheen motivational speech.

allenmurray
03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
I expect that soon the NCAA will announce that after a thorough investigation of the Ohio State program they have made a decision to clear Cam Newton to play.

camion
03-09-2011, 12:29 PM
It saddens me to say that the repeated patterns of violations at USC, UNC, TOSU, etc warrant the death penalty...

for Cleveland State.

PADukeMom
03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Until the NCAA fully punishes players, coaches, AD, boosters and/or agents the fore mentioned will continue to skirt the rules. With the belief it is only called cheating if you get caught will continue to plague the NCAA. Ohio State is yet another example of giving players & coach the proverbal slap on the wrist where winning comes at any cost. If Ohion State really wanted to send a message to Tressel he should have been suspended for the Michigan game.

I know many of you admire Steve Spurrier because of his Duke connection however I put him just a notch above Tressel.

This is just a meaningless gesture like BP's apology on South Park.

I am thankful there are men like K, Paterno & yes...even Roy who play honestly win, lose or draw.

Nugget
03-09-2011, 12:42 PM
They will deny USC's appeal of the absurdly excessive penalties leveled against them in order to prove publicly that they are "serious about enforcement," and then extend Tressel's suspension from a meaningless two games to a just-about-equally meaningless five games and claim that it, too, proves that they are enforcing the rules equally.

roywhite
03-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Until the NCAA fully punishes players, coaches, AD, boosters and/or agents the fore mentioned will continue to skirt the rules. With the belief it is only called cheating if you get caught will continue to plague the NCAA. Ohio State is yet another example of giving players & coach the proverbal slap on the wrist where winning comes at any cost. If Ohion State really wanted to send a message to Tressel he should have been suspended for the Michigan game.

I know many of you admire Steve Spurrier because of his Duke connection however I put him just a notch above Tressel.This is just a meaningless gesture like BP's apology on South Park.

I am thankful there are men like K, Paterno & yes...even Roy who play honestly win, lose or draw.

I share your general attitude in this area, but I'm not sure why Spurrier would be lumped in with this crowd.

He ran a clean program while at Duke, and is well liked by those in the athletics dept. and others who spent time with him. So far as I know, he ran a clean program at Florida and also at South Carolina. Recently, when all the revelations came out regarding agent contact and payments to football players at UNC, there was one South Carolina player involved....Weslye Saunders. Spurrier quickly kicked him off the team....no big damage control like we have seen at Chapel Hill.

What's your thinking on putting Spurrier in this category?

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Here is what Ohio St. has ADMITTED thus far.

April – Tressell sot emails players were selling their memorabilia type stuff. (which however you feel about their right to do so, is an NCAA violation), pocketed those emails.

September – Tressell signed compliance document with NCAA that he was unaware of any violations.

November – Asked about it again, he claimed no knowledge.

December – Players suspended, he tells NCAA he didn’t know about it in advance.

Now, add that to the fact that he basically required those 5 suspended players to either promise to come back or don’t play in the Sugar Bowl, and yeah, this is bad. “Uh, coach, you KNEW about this? And now I’m stuck here next year?” What a douche.

This is about 20x worse than what Dez Bryant did, and in a lot of ways worse than Bruce Pearl. Bruce Pearl lies covered his butt in recruiting. Tressell’s lies covered up player ineligibility.

He can feign ignorance of the rules or that he was worried about confidentiality, but the first excuse is BS and the second excuse is not his call. He KNOWS he has to head straight to the university attorney and/or compliance officer immediately with that type of info.

Once the NCAA gets done with this, hopefully before the season starts, he will be done at Ohio St., and will have to head back to Youngstown and hang with his buddies in the Youngstown mafia I guess.

PADukeMom
03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
I share your general attitude in this area, but I'm not sure why Spurrier would be lumped in with this crowd.

He ran a clean program while at Duke, and is well liked by those in the athletics dept. and others who spent time with him. So far as I know, he ran a clean program at Florida and also at South Carolina. Recently, when all the revelations came out regarding agent contact and payments to football players at UNC, there was one South Carolina player involved....Weslye Saunders. Spurrier quickly kicked him off the team....no big damage control like we have seen at Chapel Hill.

What's your thinking on putting Spurrier in this category?

I never inferred that I thought Spurrier ever ran a dirty program. It's more that he coached at Florida & I really don't like that team. Hey I'm a Penn State girl what can I say. I don't like Nick Saban either. It's more a personality type of thing. There were 'rumors"'floating around this area that Spurrier was going to replace JoePa as coach & I would have had a tough time supporting the team. JMHO.
Spurrier is in no way the same category as Free Shoe University Bowden.

roywhite
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I never inferred that I thought Spurrier ever ran a dirty program. It's more that he coached at Florida & I really don't like that team. Hey I'm a Penn State girl what can I say. I don't like Nick Saban either. It's more a personality type of thing. There were 'rumors"'floating around this area that Spurrier was going to replace JoePa as coach & I would have had a tough time supporting the team. JMHO.
Spurrier is in no way the same category as Free Shoe University Bowden.

Well, we're on comon ground here. I'm a huge Penn State fan, too. Grew up in PA, and my father and brother are PSU grads. I've always felt there was a huge similarity between JoePa and Coach K, all the way from their background (big city Catholic kids) to their integrity and success. I'm pretty sure Coach Paterno and Steve Spurrier have a good relationship; I just don't lump Spurrier in with some other SEC coaches.

I'm really sorry to see Tressel in this kind of situation. He seems like a good guy in many ways, but tOSU seems to have become a win-at-all-costs type program and that doesn't really happen without the head coach having some responsibility for wrongdoing.

gw67
03-09-2011, 02:22 PM
A-tex Devil,

I agree that it looks bad for Tressell and, indeed, he may be asked to leave. Having said that, there was no need to jump on with your spikes using the character assassination at the end of your post, "will have to head back to Youngstown and hang with his buddies in the Youngstown mafia I guess.". Being from Northern Ohio originally, I know that Youngstown was a very rough place and had organized crime at one time. I don't think that is the case any longer and there is no evidence that Tressell has any connections to the Mafia.

Presenting the facts as you did is persuasive enough without jumping on with both feet.

gw67

rthomas
03-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Is this original? It's very funny. Well done. Can I use it without citing you?

Mike Corey
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Dark days in Columbus. :(

PADukeMom
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Dark days in Columbus. :(

And happy days in Happy Valley.:cool:

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2011, 02:43 PM
A-tex Devil,

I agree that it looks bad for Tressell and, indeed, he may be asked to leave. Having said that, there was no need to jump on with your spikes using the character assassination at the end of your post, "will have to head back to Youngstown and hang with his buddies in the Youngstown mafia I guess.". Being from Northern Ohio originally, I know that Youngstown was a very rough place and had organized crime at one time. I don't think that is the case any longer and there is no evidence that Tressell has any connections to the Mafia.

Presenting the facts as you did is persuasive enough without jumping on with both feet.

gw67

Apologies. I was being cute, and it didn't come off that way. One of our local radio hosts in town is from Akron and has always called the plethora of, and network of, high school and colleege coaches from Youngstown and the surrounding areas (whether by birth or by trade -- the Pellinis, the Stoops, Urban Meyer, Tressell, and many others) the "Youngstown Mafia, ' referring to the "brotherhood" and network those coaches have, of course knowing full and well there was once a fairly powerful REAL Youngstown Mafia. To the coaching "mafia" is what I was referring.

roywhite
03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Is this original? It's very funny. Well done. Can I use it without citing you?

It's fairly original. :)
I saw it only one other place before using it here.
Actually comes from the Penn State crowd, who are piling on pretty good.

But go for it.

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2011, 03:10 PM
This ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1920867) is worth a read..... almost 6 and a half years later.

Ohio State avoided the potential penalty of game forfeitures from the national title season by arguing that school officials were unaware of those gifts back then. People with ties to Clarett, though, find that contention hard to swallow.

"C'mon," Myke Clarett said. "Tressel is acting like Sergeant Schultz."

gw67
03-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Apologies. I was being cute, and it didn't come off that way. One of our local radio hosts in town is from Akron and has always called the plethora of, and network of, high school and colleege coaches from Youngstown and the surrounding areas (whether by birth or by trade -- the Pellinis, the Stoops, Urban Meyer, Tressell, and many others) the "Youngstown Mafia, ' referring to the "brotherhood" and network those coaches have, of course knowing full and well there was once a fairly powerful REAL Youngstown Mafia. To the coaching "mafia" is what I was referring.

I apologize!! I was too thick to catch it. There are a bunch of football coaches from Youngstown, Canton, Barberton and other locales from Northeast Ohio who have done well in the college game. My grandfather knew the Schembechler (sp?) family very well. A bunch of the youngsters from this area go to Michigan. For example, Barberton had a state champion basketball team several years back and, if memory serves, two of their top players went to Michigan and one went to Ohio State.

From Presidents to football coaches - don't any of these guys learn? Don't try to hide misdeeds and Don't lie.

gw67

A-Tex Devil
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I apologize!! I was too thick to catch it. There are a bunch of football coaches from Youngstown, Canton, Barberton and other locales from Northeast Ohio who have done well in the college game. My grandfather knew the Schembechler (sp?) family very well. A bunch of the youngsters from this area go to Michigan. For example, Barberton had a state champion basketball team several years back and, if memory serves, two of their top players went to Michigan and one went to Ohio State.

From Presidents to football coaches - don't any of these guys learn? Don't try to hide misdeeds and Don't lie.

gw67

No worries, I definitely made a pretty arcane reference. It truly is amazing how many successful coaches came from that part of Ohio and just across the border in PA. I think Saban, Mangino, Dantoni are from the same area as well.

SCMatt33
03-09-2011, 03:53 PM
To be honest (pun intended), I think that Tressel should keep a close eye on Bruce Pearl. They both lied directly to the NCAA about violations of similar magnitude (the OSU violations were worse, but they had nothing to do with the school, only players). We'll see how it plays out, but I would be disappointed if they got penalties that weren't at least similar.

WVDUKEFAN
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Check out this link http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400617/gene-frenette/2011-03-09/gene-frenette-ohio-state-takes-coward%E2%80%99s-way-out-jim The sports world appears to be a little po'd at THE Ohio State University. You have to admit after BYU dismissing their star player last week, which in my opinion was the epitome of integrity, these jokers pull this. Their President (E Gordon Gee) when asked about firing Tressel said he was more worried about Tressel firing him. It makes me proud to be associated with Duke.

A-Tex Devil
03-10-2011, 08:48 AM
The actions by Jim Tressel throughout this whole ordeal really has him showing himself as a person as well.

I already mentioned how he basically made his players promise to come back after the 5 game suspension in order to be allowed to play the Sugar Bowl (this after the Sugar Bowl lobbied for a ridiculous deferral of suspensions for players that should have been ineligible throughout 2010). And now it turns out he knew the whole time? And that if he'd followed the rules, these players would have been suspended for the entirety of 2010? Plus now that it was shown he knew, the 2010 season should be vacated and these players may have to miss all of 2011? Wow.

Now, let's look at the emails. Chris Cicero, a former OSU walkon player from the '80s alerts Tressel out of clear concern that 2 of the Sweatervest's players' names have come up in a federal drug investigation. If you read the emails, the context is pretty clear: "Coach, this guy is a drug dealer. I wanted to let you know your guys may be associating with him and selling gear to him."
Again, set aside the NCAA violations.

Tressel responded "OK, tell me if I need to do anything." and "I will keep pounding these kids, hoping they grow up." Really? If people that are important to you are involved in something like this don't you follow up, talk to a lawyer, make sure they aren't getting into something dangerous? Make sure they are OK. Nope. Tressel pocketed it. Say what you want about guys like Jim Calipari, but I think guys like that at least care enough about their kids that they wouldn't let this sit.

Emails here (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/3/9/2038929/jim-tressel-emails-suspension-drug-trafficking-ncaa-investigation). If you haven't read them, you should. This is a textbook case for the NCAA based only on the facts that we already know. Tressel should get at least a year (Dez Bryant and the Carolina defense would agree), if not a full on show cause a la Kelvin Sampson.

kexman
03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
If the players received a 5 game suspension than he should receive at least that long since in my opinion his error was larger than theirs. I can almost understand the players doing it, but he is the adult and should be punished accordingly. I would ban him from practice as well during that time period.