PDA

View Full Version : College Hoops Divorce: The Division I Transfer Rate

ajgoodfella7
03-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Came across an article in the USA Today written by Rick Brown. He brings up some interesting statistics that of the 65 2010-NCAA-Tournament teams, 35 of them featured at least 1 Division I transfer.

In 2003-04 the NCAA started monitoring the number of four-year transfers enrolling at other Division I programs. There were 385 players in 2003-2004, up to 442 players in 2008-2009 (9.4% increase). And according to rosters of the 346 NCAA Division I or transitional Division I programs this season, 207 had at least one player who started his career at a different Division I program.

Some of the coaches interviewed believe that the reason for this is the fact that the society we are living in today has created a "me first/play me now" type of situation in Division I basketball. Tom Izzo states "kids want to star and start immediately."

But I think the more important issue is presented later in the article. It is the fact that because of the way a "transfer player" is perceived, it has given the teams, and even College Basketball in general, a black eye. Some of this is brought up by Bill Self who basically says it's a misconception that the growing number of transfers is the result of coaches running players out of their programs. Or perhaps the misconception that coaches who receive transfers, are chasing players at other schools.

So my question is, what does everyone think is the main factor involved in all of this? Is it due to a shift in society? The fact that kids are just different nowadays? Coaches recruiting over their own players? Stealing players from other schools? Or more likely just a perfect storm of everything happening at once?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2011-03-06-college-basketball-transfers_N.htm

moonpie23
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
dang the title of this thread....i thought she was finally fed up and leaving me....

ugh...

ajgoodfella7
03-08-2011, 11:53 PM
dang the title of this thread....i thought she was finally fed up and leaving me....

ugh...

Ha, sorry... I wanted to get the article title in there.