PDA

View Full Version : Jay Wright

just_wondering
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/sports/ncaabasketball/08villanova.html

Kewlswim
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi,

When I read these stories they both bring smiles and tears to my eyes. Makes me think, "This is what college athletics is supposed to be about." I have found my Big East team to root for, Villanova. Now I don't even feel so bad about flying out to watch Duke play them in Boston--only to have my beloved Devils lose. At least when the team lost it wasn't to some jerk coach (I'll leave names out, you know who they are).

GO DUKE!

WillJ
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
That's a beautiful story.

taiw93
03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Jay Wright is all class. And yeah, I know it sounds corny, but this IS the real purpose of athletics, and especially college athletics: to bring people together. I hope ESPN does a piece on this - they did something similar on a young man with cerebral palsy who worked as a manager for the USC football program a few years ago, and it was incredibly moving.

4decadedukie
03-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Intercollegite athletics develop character. Wright and Villanova have ethics, self-discipline, standards, humanity and decency; in sum, character. It is wonderful to read a story like this one, especially when we seem to be inundated with news reports that constantly focus on the unfortunate side (scandals, criminal behavior, poor comportment, illicit conduct, and so forth) of college sports and student-athletes.

PaIronDuke
03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Intercollegite athletics develop character. Wright and Villanova have ethics, self-discipline, standards, humanity and decency; in sum, character. It is wonderful to read a story like this one, especially when we seem to be inundated with news reports that constantly focus on the unfortunate side (scandals, criminal behavior, poor comportment, illicit conduct, and so forth) of college sports and student-athletes.

We have season tickets to Villanova games. After the television feature on these two young men-both of whom are severely handicapped- I made it a point to see if, indeed, they were both present near the team and treated in the commendable manner implied in the television piece and later print reports.

I am glad to report that both are seated next to the court about as close to the team as practical, and are treated in an affectionate, respectful manner by students and fans.

The implications about Jay Wright being a class act are true. Incidentally, his son attends Episcopal Academy, where Gerald Henderson and a obscure UNC teammate starred, and played quarterback on the football team. I'm not sure whether or not he played basketball there.