PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill = NBA's Benjamin Button?

AZLA
03-08-2011, 12:08 PM
As Duke prepares to roll into Greensboro this week to reclaim the ACC Tournament Title, perhaps they can take inspiration from the brilliant and hard-nosed defense Grant Hill has put on display at age 38 against some of the brightest offensive stars in the NBA this season.

Grant is battle-tested, battle-approved, and may end up earning an All Defensive Team nod.

Check out this great article on G:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/03/07/20110307phoenix-suns-grant-hill-merit-defensive-honor.html#ixzz1G1q8YYZH

"At 38, Hill's "Benjamin Button" act has made him a better defender than he ever was in his 20s..."

roywhite
03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Good for Grant!

Just looked at some more numbers:
Grant is shooting 84.6% from the FT line....significantly better than his career avg.
Grant is shooting 38.9% from 3...also significantly better than his career avg.

Talk about good genes....dad Calvin played 12 years in the NFL, no small feat

Ah, if only Calvin and Janet had propagated as prolifically as the Plumlees :)

weezie
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I have to move to AZ. I think it would definitely extend my playing time! :D

cspan37421
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Let's not forget that he lost many of his prime years to injury. While no doubt his healthy eating and workout routine deserve some credit, many observers note that pro athletes only have so many games in them (or running backs, carries), before their bodies wear down. Grant's effective NBA age is a few less than 38.

Kudos to him, though. Wish PHX were more in the playoff hunt. I guess they're chasing the 8th spot.

SupaDave
03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Let's not forget that he lost many of his prime years to injury. While no doubt his healthy eating and workout routine deserve some credit, many observers note that pro athletes only have so many games in them (or running backs, carries), before their bodies wear down. Grant's effective NBA age is a few less than 38.

Kudos to him, though. Wish PHX were more in the playoff hunt. I guess they're chasing the 8th spot.

Well the NBA isn't chock full of 35 year olds either. Only the greats seem to make it to their late 30s and early 40s.

Class of '94
03-08-2011, 03:56 PM

They're tied in the loss column with teams in 7-8th spot and 3 games in the loss column out of being in the 5th spot with two months of games to play. So I think PHX is deep in the playoff hunt/chase; and could possibly be the 5th seed if they win enough games.

NovaScotian
03-08-2011, 06:08 PM

One More Kid! One More Kid! One More Kid!

apparantly, in addition to having the league's best trainers, the players in phoenix also have particular eating habits that grant and Stevie Nash have attributed to their great shape even in their late 30s.

LSanders
03-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Ain't THAT the truth!!

I love the fact that so many K "pupil's" understand and relish playing defense -- especially in the NBA.

NovaScotian
03-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Ain't THAT the truth!!

I love the fact that so many K "pupil's" understand and relish playing defense -- especially in the NBA.

yes, thankfully they also avoid 'hot-dogging' it.

4decadedukie
03-08-2011, 09:01 PM
I agree, Grant's defensive performance, especially this seasom, has been truly excellent; this really should be no surprise, since excellence and Hill are synonymous.