PDA

View Full Version : DBR Draft Chat

Deslok
06-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Ok, I actually am not going to be around for it(cavorting around Europe at the moment), but I thought I'd mention since we've done it every year for the last... erm... decade or so... that its draft time again, so you might as well drop in and chat (http://www.snrub.com/snrubchat/) it up with folks while we see where everyone ends up(and being the one night where heterosexual males can feel completely comfortable discussing the fashion styles, or lack thereof, on display). Anyway, here's hoping Josh lands in a good spot.

Deslok

feldspar
06-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Ok, I actually am not going to be around for it(cavorting around Europe at the moment), but I thought I'd mention since we've done it every year for the last... erm... decade or so... that its draft time again, so you might as well drop in and chat (http://www.snrub.com/snrubchat/) it up with folks while we see where everyone ends up(and being the one night where heterosexual males can feel completely comfortable discussing the fashion styles, or lack thereof, on display). Anyway, here's hoping Josh lands in a good spot.

Deslok

Uh, last time I checked, Snrub was out of service. I think billybreen's doing some maintenence on it or something since it's the off-season. Might want to check in with him, Des.

Exiled_Devil
06-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Uh, last time I checked, Snrub was out of service. I think billybreen's doing some maintenence on it or something since it's the off-season. Might want to check in with him, Des.

But man, I need to share with someone how cool I think Oden is. Not 'sell me shoes' cool, but 'as respectable as GHill' cool.

Paraphrase:

Stuart Scott: why were you wringing your hands nervously before they anounced the pick? Everyone knew you were going #1"

Greg Oden: " I wasn't nervous, I was putting purell on my hands - I have a cold and didn't want to get Mr. Stern sick."

Wow. Good luck to an impressive kid.

Exiled

phaedrus
06-28-2007, 07:50 PM
I love Oden. I think just about everything he says is hilarious - mostly because he's a giant. It's easier to tell jokes when you're a giant. He's like Shaq, except less coc- i mean arrogant - and more goofy.

Jason, how do you feel about Horford? You knew it was coming.

lavell12
06-28-2007, 08:21 PM
I really now hate the Charlotte Bobcats now they select another Tarhole Brenden Wright. This is a good pick but MJ is such a bad GM so of course he would take the UNC guy.

DevilAlumna
06-28-2007, 08:30 PM
From King5 NBC in Seattle:

Pending final NBA approval, The Seattle SuperSonics will trade guard Ray Allen to the Boston Celtics for guard Delonte West, forward Wally Szczerbiak and forward Jeff Green, whom the Celtics selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft.

godukecom
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
i think that of all 3 unc picks made by the bobcats, raymond felton is the only one that will turn out well for them...

there was some talk about at trade for amare stodimire (spelling?) but that fell through. wright will be good, but it will take some time and for the short term look for the bobcats to get signifigantly worse with the loss of gerald walace

mgtr
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
So far, its looks as though Portland and Chicago (maybe Seattle) are the big draft winners. Check back in three years and see!

mgtr
06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Well, McBob is not a lottery pick. Where will he go? 20?

Buckeye Devil
06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
Portland made the right call on Oden.

What was Atlanta thinking? You just don't pass on Conley and take a player that you have duplicates of already.

Danny Ainge has 2 letters right in his last name: A and n. The rest of his name should be "us". He can't seriously trade away a 5th overall and two other players for aging Ray Allen. The Celtics may as well bring back Pitino as they are acting like they have a lottery drawing hangover with this move.

Clipsfan
06-28-2007, 09:16 PM
So far, its looks as though Portland and Chicago (maybe Seattle) are the big draft winners. Check back in three years and see!

Why is Chicago a big draft winner? They've just drafted yet another offensively challenged big man. They already had 2 of those.

Bob Green
06-28-2007, 09:23 PM

When we check back in three years, Chicago will be a big loser! Noah was a lousy pick. IMO, he will be a bust.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

phaedrus
06-28-2007, 09:24 PM
i can see ainge's point of view on this one. yes, allen is aging, but he's still very good. boston has a decent young core but they also have one of the league's top 10 players, pierce, and pierce will never win with the current team and whoever they could have picked at 5. getting allen gives them the best chance for success during pierce's peak years. no, they'll never win a title, but maybe they'll have a shot at making the finals with pierce, allen, jefferson, and some other decent players. that's the best they could have hoped for anyway.

mgtr
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I think Noah will be the pick of the litter from the Florida team. I think attitude and hard work mean a lot = Noah. Time will tell. And remember, Chicago is Duke Midwest!

mgtr
06-28-2007, 09:36 PM
OK, McBob is not in the top 20, but should be pretty soon.

lavell12
06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I hope he falls to the Suns at 24 b/c that is a perfect style of offense for Josh and who wouldn't be good w/ Nash.

Cavlaw
06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
I hope he falls to the Suns at 24 b/c that is a perfect style of offense for Josh and who wouldn't be good w/ Nash.
Hmm, guess the Suns didn't agree, I'm not sure I see any better fits for the rest of the round. I hope he gets in.

mgtr
06-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Well, it didn't happen. Will McBob go in the top 30?? I am surprised he is still available.

gep
06-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Interesting... will Josh slip to 2nd round like Carlos did (along with the dissapointment)? Then again, look what happened to Carlos ;)

kramerbr
06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Did McRoberts really perform that bad in workouts to fall this far? Some guy with the last name Almond got drafted before him...

AtlBluRew
06-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Wow, I just tuned in ... 27th pick on the clock and McBob still available!

I don't like the Hawks' pick of Horford over Conley. I don't think that Acie Law is as good as Conley will be.

lavell12
06-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Only 3 picks left in the first round.

WeepingThomasHill
06-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Guess teams aren't lining up for a guy who has no offensive game other than dunking. I am still amazed that Noah was drafted in the top 10 - he is going to be a huge bust.

Wonder if McRoberts is wishing he stayed for another year to develop a jump shot. Or one reliable move.

Cavlaw
06-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Another chance for Phoenix, we'll see...

gep
06-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Is Glen Davis from LSU the one they call "big baby"? If so... will he go before Josh? Then, that's it for 1st round...

_Gary
06-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow, I kept thinking someone like the Suns, the Jazz, the Spurs, or the Rockets were going to take Josh. All of those teams would have been excellent places for him to end up. Philly is now is last chance, and it's not a place I'd be thrilled to go, but I guess it's better than a second round pick.

Gary

_Gary
06-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Ughhh. Second round. My how the mighty have fallen.....:(

And no, I'm not happy about this. I wanted to see Josh get selected to a good team late in the first round. This is devastating.

Gary

gep
06-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Maybe Josh can use this 2nd round choice as motivation as did Carlos and Chris...

AtlBluRew
06-28-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised that Nick Fazekas wasn't taken in the first round. A guard from Finland (FINLAND??) was taken before McBob, Big Baby and Fazekas! :confused:

dukie8
06-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Ughhh. Second round. My how the mighty have fallen.....:(

And no, I'm not happy about this. I wanted to see Josh get selected to a good team late in the first round. This is devastating.

Gary

now that the good teams at the end of the first round have passed on him, who thinks that the bad teams at the top of the second round will take him? the bad teams have will have a lot less patience with someone with no offensive game.

WeepingThomasHill
This draft is an unmitigated disaster for McRoberts. He and his handlers grossly overestimated his NBA readiness. He could wind up overseas, in someplace like Turkey or Italy. Maybe Il Messagero will want another Duke alum.

YmoBeThere
I hear the Fins play some good ball, but only when all 6 of them get together.

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 10:45 PM
now that the good teams at the end of the first round have passed on him, who thinks that the bad teams at the top of the second round will take him? the bad teams have will have a lot less patience with someone with no offensive game.

Joakim Noah, he went in the Top 10 with no offensive game.

Cavlaw
06-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Outside of the prestige factor, is there really any material difference between going early in the second or late in the first?

pacificrounder
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Devastating?

I really just don't feel that bad for Josh. He underperformed all season while having his sights set squarely on the NBA and entered into one of the strongest drafts in recent memory. Could he really expect to maximize his potential by doing that? It seems to me that he did everything wrong except for avoid injury.

That said, I greatly appreciate his talent and what he brought to Duke last season, but that's not going to make me ignore reality. But yes, I agree that Phoenix would have been a great place for his talents.

Highlander
06-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Outside of the prestige factor, is there really any material difference between going early in the second or late in the first?

First round contracts are guaranteed. Second round contracts are not. A second rounder has no assurances he'll make the squad.

dukerev
06-28-2007, 10:50 PM
I wonder if any of the rumors that we heard that Josh wasn't the best teammate are part of the reason why he's falling so much. Of course, drafting a dude who got kicked out of school is okay, but not someone who yells at his teammates...

YmoBeThere
Guaranteed contract for the first two years?

phaedrus
first round picks have guaranteed contracts. although i expect josh will make whatever team he ends up with.

not only bad teams coming up - dallas and san antonio are next.

WeepingThomasHill
First round = 3 years guaranteed.

Second round = good chance you are playing in (i) Portugal or (ii) waiting tables at Cheesecake Factory

_Gary
06-28-2007, 10:51 PM

Yea, there's a matter of 3 years worth of guaranteed money that you don't get if you fall into the 2nd round. Trust me, it's a big deal. It only works for you if you do a Boozer and goes nuts right off the bat so as to warrant a quick second contract that will be very profitable. But very few second rounders get that type of deal.

Gary

dukerev
06-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Too bad Josh already signed with an agent. If he went undrafted (which he won't), he could've returned to Duke for one more year (ala that dude from Kentucky) then signed a free agent contract at the end of the college season but still in the '07-'08 NBA season.

dukeisawesome
06-28-2007, 10:54 PM
I am not really surprised. He was exposed this whole past season and I don't see him as a good workout guy either. I'm a bit surprised nobody has taken him in the 2nd round yet though. He's got no NBA future though.

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Yea, there's a matter of 3 years worth of guaranteed money that you don't get if you fall into the 2nd round. Trust me, it's a big deal. It only works for you if you do a Boozer and goes nuts right off the bat so as to warrant a quick second contract that will be very profitable. But very few second rounders get that type of deal.

Gary

Section 1. Rookie Scale Contracts for First Round Picks.
(a) Each Rookie Scale Contract between a Team and a First Round Pick shall cover a period of two (2) Seasons, but shall have an Option in favor of the Team for the player’s third Season and a second Option in favor of the Team for the player’s fourth Season.

Cavlaw
06-28-2007, 10:55 PM
There goes Big Baby.

Channing
06-28-2007, 10:56 PM
are guaranteed contracts still three years? I thought they were now two with a team option for the third?

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
See post two before yours...

WeepingThomasHill
06-28-2007, 10:59 PM
could be a landing spot for McRoberts.

dukerev
06-28-2007, 10:59 PM
They're kidding, right?

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 11:02 PM
IF you read the N&O article, the writer mentions two in for UNC and 1 for Duke to the pros(NBA). Guess he may have been wrong and it will be 1 only.

Trailblazers.

pacificrounder
Boos from the crowd as McBob goes to Portland at 37.

Channing
finally . . . mazel tov

JBDuke
06-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Josh goes to Portland with the 37th pick.

Okay, I didn't see him slipping to the second round, but I like seeing him at Portland. If he can stick with them, we'll see a lot of him (or at least, as much as he'll play), since Oden will mean a lot of TV exposure.

pacificrounder
06-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Bilas: "He's a Robin, not a Batman." So does that make Oden Batman? Or will Aldridge play alongside Oden and McRoberts head to the pine or Turkey?

KyDevilinIL
06-28-2007, 11:04 PM
Drop to 37 is a bit of a bummer, if not terribly surprising. Still, might not be a bad spot for Josh, at least by Portland standards.

phaedrus
06-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Bilas: "He's a Robin, not a Batman." So does that make Oden Batman? Or will Aldridge play alongside Oden and McRoberts head to the pine or Turkey?

maybe, just maybe, either aldridge or oden will average fewer than 48 minutes per game.

BlueDevilBaby
06-28-2007, 11:05 PM
You guys are ahead of me. I think Josh will do just fine, not having to play center. He was pretty good playing off Sheldon.

Cicero
06-28-2007, 11:09 PM
McRoberts unlikely to start at center. Better work on that jumpshot...

M. Tullius

dukebluedevin
06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
espn.com reports that mcbob will be traded to the sixers... is that confirmed? I was liking him in portland already.

edit- espn got their stories straight now... mcbob will stay with oden.

gep
06-28-2007, 11:11 PM
I was also liking him in Portland... seemed a good fit with Oden... on a lesser scale, like he seemed a good fit with Shel (as posted above).

Jaymf7
06-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Oden had glowing things to say about McRoberts a week or so ago. As much as the pick of Josh at 37 makes sense from a value standpoint, it also gives Oden a familiar (and fairly clean cut) face to adjust to the NBA with. Kinda like the rumors where they'd trade for the #3 pick to get a familiar face in Conley -- but they didn't need to give up anything here.

Now that I have more interest in Portland, does anyone see why they traded Randolph for Francis and Fry? You'd think they would get better value. Moreover, even with Randolph gone, it looks like the team still has a pretty crowded frontcourt. At least Oden will be pulling for Josh to make the team.

AtlBluRew
06-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Patrick Davidson would have gone sooner than 37!

gep
06-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Patrick Davidson would have gone sooner than 37!

Well... Jamareo Davidson did...:)

AtlBluRew
06-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Now that I have more interest in Portland, does anyone see why they traded Randolph for Francis and Fry? You'd think they would get better value. Moreover, even with Randolph gone, it looks like the team still has a pretty crowded frontcourt. At least Oden will be pulling for Josh to make the team.

I remember reading that Randolph's contract is big. He's overpaid and a problem with the salary cap.

Channing
06-28-2007, 11:20 PM
i think portland just got 2 steals in the second round.

AtlBluRew
06-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Orlando takes Reyshawn Terry

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 11:28 PM
i think portland just got 2 steals in the second round.

But I may be biased as I went to Duke undergrad, Vandy grad. Oh, well my avatar says that for me!

YmoBeThere
06-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Isn't the shooter that JJ is and made some poor decisions at key moments. But an excellent athletic talent with more size. But a very different style of player.

phaedrus
06-28-2007, 11:32 PM

are you serious? you think the 4th best player (maybe) on a merely decent college team will take PT from the consensus national player of the year? go back to IC, you hater.

never mind that they play different positions.

ajtrublu
06-28-2007, 11:33 PM
espn.com reports that mcbob will be traded to the sixers... is that confirmed? I was liking him in portland already.

That was originally reported, but here in Philly that doesn't seem to be the case. Although I believe the Sixers have traded Daequan Cook to Miami
and Finnish guy Petteri Koponen to Portland.

Jaymf7
06-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I remember reading that Randolph's contract is big. He's overpaid and a problem with the salary cap.

I understand why they'd want to dump Randolph, but Francis' contract may be even bigger -- and he's not nearly as productive. Plus, Portland has a decent young PG in Jack. I still don't get that trade unless Francis is a huge upgrade over Jack.

phaedrus
06-29-2007, 12:10 AM
i dont get that trade for either team. aren't eddy curry and zach randolph the exact same player? maybe even the same person? isn't francis' contract one of the worst in the league (or is it expiring soon)? aren't there teams who want and need randolph a lot more than the knicks?

Bob Green
06-29-2007, 02:12 AM
i dont get that trade for either team. aren't eddy curry and zach randolph the exact same player? maybe even the same person? isn't francis' contract one of the worst in the league (or is it expiring soon)? aren't there teams who want and need randolph a lot more than the knicks?

According to this ESPN article (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2919929), the Blazers intend to buyout Francis' contract and make him a free agent this summer.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dukerev
06-29-2007, 08:10 AM
With the trade of Randolph (and upcoming buyout of Francis' contract), the Blazers will get way under the salary cap for next year's HUGE free agent class. They also picked up a very good Channing Frye (Frye? Frye? Anyone? Bueller?). Their frontline next year will be ridiculously young and ridiculously talented: Oden, Aldridge, Frye and McBob.

Anyone think that if Josh extends his range (as he kept trying to do last year) that he might be able to play the 3 in the NBA? With his passing ability and athleticism, which I think is there in spite of his poor workout in Orlando, I think playing face to the basket and passing out of the high post will be his specialty.

I also think that the Blazers had him targeted to hang out with Oden. That in and of itself won't mean he'll make the team, but does give him a leg up, at the very least for the last man on the bench.

billybreen
06-29-2007, 08:20 AM
The SnrubChat box died. I'm working to get it back online or to move the software to another site.

Jaymf7
06-29-2007, 08:40 AM
Anyone think that if Josh extends his range (as he kept trying to do last year) that he might be able to play the 3 in the NBA? With his passing ability and athleticism, which I think is there in spite of his poor workout in Orlando, I think playing face to the basket and passing out of the high post will be his specialty.

That thought crossed my mind too, but I don't see how Josh can guard 75% of the NBA 3s. His perimeter quickness has never been a strength and that will be difficult to improve.

thebur
06-29-2007, 10:17 AM
maybe a career one, but the guys that stick around for more than their initial contracts besides superstars or guys with superstar potential are guys who figure out their role in the NBA early and stick with it.

Some Duke guys have made very productive (at least monetarily) careers out of doing exactly that. Perhaps K and crew are still giving out exceptional advice to their guys after college too. Laettner was in the league for almost 15 years, and all he could really do for an NBA squad was rebound and hit 18-20 footers, ditto for Ferry and three pointers and that skill alone got him a ring and a 15 year career. Let's hope that Josh can find his role of rebounding and making great post assists to Oden, Frye and Aldridge, and I think he could be a productive player on a team that has a good chance of winning one of the next 5 championships as these guys grow and mature.

kexman
06-29-2007, 11:34 AM
I think the NBA should stop the abiltiy of the suns to sell draft picks for cash. they sold one of their first round picks #24 for approximately 3 million (apparently they have done this before). 1) What does it say about the draft when they think a late first round pick is basically worthless. I assume their rationale is that they don't want to pay guaranteed money for 3 years to someone they don't think will help them, but is a late first round pick really that bad? I think it looks bad for the integrity of the NBA and the draft if you can just sell the pick for cash. How much cash would it take to buy the rights to ODEN???

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Guaranteed contracts for first rounders.

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM

His contract is big, but I'm not sure he's overpaid vs. his production on the court. There aren't many players who demand a double-team and put up 24 and 10. It's his attitude that is a problem.

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 11:50 AM

Francis has 2 years left on his contract, Randolph has 4

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I think the NBA should stop the abiltiy of the suns to sell draft picks for cash. they sold one of their first round picks #24 for approximately 3 million (apparently they have done this before). 1) What does it say about the draft when they think a late first round pick is basically worthless. I assume their rationale is that they don't want to pay guaranteed money for 3 years to someone they don't think will help them, but is a late first round pick really that bad? I think it looks bad for the integrity of the NBA and the draft if you can just sell the pick for cash. How much cash would it take to buy the rights to ODEN???

I think that the problem for the Suns is two-fold: The owners are cheap and want the cash, and they're going to have problems with the salary cap. The second is actually related to the first in a way, as the owners don't want to pay more luxury tax than necessary (they may not want to pay any?)

thebur
06-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Francis has 2 years left on his contract, Randolph has 4

Is that really the word on the street like someone said earlier? They really would do well to get into next year's free agent market.

2008 FA's: Brand, Maggette, Deng, Arenas, J. O'Neal, Ben Gordon, Al Jefferson,
Rip Hamilton, Duncan, Marion, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Andre Igoudala

rsvman
06-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Am I the only guy that would've picked Al Thornton before Joakim Noah?

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Is that really the word on the street like someone said earlier? They really would do well to get into next year's free agent market.

2008 FA's: Brand, Maggette, Deng, Arenas, J. O'Neal, Ben Gordon, Al Jefferson,
Rip Hamilton, Duncan, Marion, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith, Josh Childress, Andre Igoudala

On paper that looks like a tremendous free agent class, but most of those guys aren't going anywhere.

Cavlaw
06-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Am I the only guy that would've picked Al Thornton before Joakim Noah?
Nope, I would have loved to see Thornton in Chicago.

phaedrus
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
On paper that looks like a tremendous free agent class, but most of those guys aren't going anywhere.

if those are all unrestricted free agents, then duncan is the only one who is almost certainly not going anywhere.

Obviously it's unlikely that many of them will move, but there's no reason someone like Brand, for instance, won't leave if he gets a huge deal elsewhere (especially given the Clippers' history).

Clipsfan
06-29-2007, 03:35 PM
if those are all unrestricted free agents, then duncan is the only one who is almost certainly not going anywhere.

Obviously it's unlikely that many of them will move, but there's no reason someone like Brand, for instance, won't leave if he gets a huge deal elsewhere (especially given the Clippers' history).

There are other players there whom I'd be really surprised to see move, such as Deng, Iguodala or Jefferson. Players whom the teams have said they will do anything to keep. Sure, they may receive big offers from other teams, but it's very unlikely that they'll go anywhere (I'm guessing many of them are restricted free agents, anyway, as they're coming off early contracts).