PDA

View Full Version : MBB: [non-ACC] Coaching Carousel - 2011 edition

-jk
03-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Opening salvo - Pat Knight (http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_8566/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=66A252D16DE0F7127E785 BAB7EFF0730?full=true&contentguid=7Rbf5fC6&detailindex=#display) fired.

-jk

hurleyfor3
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Pat Kennedy quits after hanging a DePaulesque 4-26 record at Towson State. Pretty long fall from a second-place finish in the ACC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6189740

taiw93
03-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear Billy Gillispie's name mentioned in Texas Tech's search. The guy has already done a fantastic job of building up two separate programs in Texas (UTEP and Texas A&M) and probably has recruiting ties down there as well.

tommy
03-08-2011, 12:17 AM
The guy I'm worried about is Jeff Capel at Oklahoma. I think he'll get a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder.

The Sooners have had an awful year, going 13-17 overall, 5-11 in the conference. They beat Oklahoma St. on Saturday to close out the regular season, but before that had dropped eight straight games. Earlier in the year they had suffered another three game conference losing streak and a five game nonconference losing streak. Worse, of the 17 losses, an astounding 14 of them have been by double digits. That's really bad.

Last year was pretty much the same, with the team finishing 13-18, 4-12 in the conference.

The year before, with Blake Griffin at his collegiate peak, was terrific, and the year before that was good too, in Griffin's freshman year, as the team made the tournament, so Jeff's overall record is still OK, with a winning percentage around .600. But he's below .500 in the conference over his tenure in Norman. That's not good. The problem is that things are moving in the wrong direction, and doing so in a big way.

Like I say, I think Jeff will get at least another year, but you never know these days. I'm pretty sure next year he'll have to demonstrate some significant progress in getting this thing back on track, or they're going to look at some alternatives.

Matches
03-08-2011, 08:38 AM
I wonder if NCSU might take a flyer on Capel. My sister who is an NCSU alum was asking me over the weekend if there was any chance they could pry away Chris Collins. I told her I doubted it, but if they were looking for someone with an ACC pedigree (and arguably someone who could recruit well in-state), Capel might be an option. Not sure how much his star has cooled.

Reilly
03-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Pat Kennedy quits after hanging a DePaulesque 4-26 record at Towson State. Pretty long fall from a second-place finish in the ACC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6189740

The "resigned" part is cover: PK said on the radio he wanted one more year. Basically, his contract was up. The funny thing he said on the radio is that he should have done more diligence before taking the job: he didn't realize there were EIGHT season ticket holders when he got on campus. He also questioned whether Towson could compete in the CAA, which has solid programs like GMU, VCU and ODU that bring a lot more resources. I was wondering if Baltimore-area native Wojo's name might be mentioned (not that he, or anybody, should take that job).

94duke
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure if si.com keeps this page current, but here's a list:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/03/07/coaching.changes/index.html

JasonEvans
03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball. They have not managed a winning season since 2003 (the end of Ken's data). They have not even managed to go .500 in the CAA conference in that time.

This is a bad program. I doubt Wojo would take the job if it was offered. Look at the first head coaching jobs of other former Duke assistants and you will see that Towson isn't nearly in the league with places like Stanford, Seton Hall, Missouri (which is where Dawkins, Amaker, and Snyder got their first head jobs).

-Jason "Wojo and/or Collins would be in line for a mid-level BCS program" Evans

JasonEvans
03-08-2011, 11:08 AM
The guy I'm worried about is Jeff Capel at Oklahoma. I think he'll get a little more time, but I'm starting to wonder.

Capel's problems come from the disastrous 2009 recruiting class. When he signed it, that class appeared to be one of the tops in the nation. It featured 2 Mickie Dees in Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. Both players had disappointing freshman seasons peppered with suspensions and run-ins with the coach. They both foolishly turned pro after one year at Oklahoma and are both playing in the D-League now.

Jeff's recruiting has fallen markedly since then. His 2010 class had 8 players in it, but only one of them was a top 100 recruit. 2011 has been really bad as he has only gotten one Juco player to sign... no high schoolers.

The good thing is that Oklahoma has a young roster. They have only one senior this year (though it is their leading scorer, Cade Davis). All their other best players are all freshmen and sophs, so their is a chance the can improve next season and the year after. But, Jeff is going to need to pick up the recruiting and sign a stud or two to get Oklahoma back to being a serious contender in the B12.

-Jason "I agree that Jeff gets at least one more year... probably more than that so long as he does not have another bottom of the B12 season" Evans

TexHawk
03-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Capel's problems come from the disastrous 2009 recruiting class. When he signed it, that class appeared to be one of the tops in the nation. It featured 2 Mickie Dees in Tommy Mason-Griffin and Tiny Gallon. Both players had disappointing freshman seasons peppered with suspensions and run-ins with the coach. They both foolishly turned pro after one year at Oklahoma and are both playing in the D-League now.

Jeff's recruiting has fallen markedly since then. His 2010 class had 8 players in it, but only one of them was a top 100 recruit. 2011 has been really bad as he has only gotten one Juco player to sign... no high schoolers.

The good thing is that Oklahoma has a young roster. They have only one senior this year (though it is their leading scorer, Cade Davis). All their other best players are all freshmen and sophs, so their is a chance the can improve next season and the year after. But, Jeff is going to need to pick up the recruiting and sign a stud or two to get Oklahoma back to being a serious contender in the B12.

-Jason "I agree that Jeff gets at least one more year... probably more than that so long as he does not have another bottom of the B12 season" Evans
Unfortunately for Capel, OU's hand may be forced by Texas Tech, Arkansas, or any other program looking to hire Billy Gillespie. OU is probably the best place for him, with the resources, lack-of-pressure, and proximity to Texas (still has a ton of recruiting ties down there). They may feel that Gillespie now is better than their possible options in 2012.

Reilly
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball. They have not managed a winning season since 2003 (the end of Ken's data). They have not even managed to go .500 in the CAA conference in that time.

This is a bad program. I doubt Wojo would take the job if it was offered. Look at the first head coaching jobs of other former Duke assistants and you will see that Towson isn't nearly in the league with places like Stanford, Seton Hall, Missouri (which is where Dawkins, Amaker, and Snyder got their first head jobs).

-Jason "Wojo and/or Collins would be in line for a mid-level BCS program" Evans

Oh I agree that Wojo should not and presumably would not take the Towson job. I was just wondering if they'd make a run at him, given the home town ties. Towson's a bad job, but the CAA is better than the conference that O'Toole went to (when he went to his alma mater Fairfield) or that Brey went to (Delaware was then in the America East). And Bender went to Southern Illinois, which is not a BCS job, either.

Reilly
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I used KenPom's site to check on the history of Towson basketball....

I recommend www.basketball-reference.com Truly a wonder:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/TOWS/

texas
03-08-2011, 07:12 PM
i really like Capel and don't understand why he hasn't been successful at OU. the last two years have been a disaster.

Reilly
03-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Bender went to Illinois State, not Southern Illinois.

tommy
03-10-2011, 12:29 AM
According to this (http://newsblog.projo.com/2011/03/pc-expected-to-part-with-baske.html) Keno Davis is out at Providence. Lower tier Big East job, but a Big East job nonetheless.

wilson
03-11-2011, 09:32 AM
It's probably rather telling that the postgame discussion regarding last night's GA Tech-VA Tech game focused not on X's and O's so much as on Paul Hewitt's job future. Hewitt said he "expects to return" (http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/hewitt-said-he-expects-868178.html?cxtype=rss_news) next season, which I think may well be an instance of wishful thinking (definitely would be such if not for that ridiculous buyout). The article states that GA Tech must notify him of his future for next season by Wednesday, or pay $1 million more in the buyout (Good grief! Seriously, who negotiated that contract?!?!). I expect the official announcement of his departure to come probably Monday, amid the post-Selection Sunday hubbub.
My favorite part of the article? "[Hewitt] said he has a good relationship with the Atlanta media, save one person." Anyone who regularly reads the AJC can presumably guess who that one person is with ease.

davekay1971
03-11-2011, 09:37 AM
What's the over-under on hours from this moment before the official "Sidney Lowe has been fired" news item comes out? I checked the internet this morning expecting to see the announcement having been made.

Currently it's 9:35 EST. I put the over-under at 24 hours from this moment, and I'm taking the under.

Sorry, Sid...love you, but it's time for NCSU to move on...

OldPhiKap
03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
It's probably rather telling that the postgame discussion regarding last night's GA Tech-VA Tech game focused not on X's and O's so much as on Paul Hewitt's job future. Hewitt said he "expects to return" (http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/hewitt-said-he-expects-868178.html?cxtype=rss_news) next season, which I think may well be an instance of wishful thinking (definitely would be such if not for that ridiculous buyout). The article states that GA Tech must notify him of his future for next season by Wednesday, or pay $1 million more in the buyout (Good grief! Seriously, who negotiated that contract?!?!). I expect the official announcement of his departure to come probably Monday, amid the post-Selection Sunday hubbub.
My favorite part of the article? "[Hewitt] said he has a good relationship with the Atlanta media, save one person." Anyone who regularly reads the AJC can presumably guess who that one person is with ease.

Cynthia Tucker?

Mark Bradley has been on Hewitt's hide for years, no doubt, but has been fairly accurate in his description of Hewitt's job performance. Truth hurts sometimes.

wilson
03-11-2011, 09:39 AM
What's the over-under on hours from this moment before the official "Sidney Lowe has been fired" news item comes out? I checked the internet this morning expecting to see the announcement having been made.

Currently it's 9:35 EST. I put the over-under at 24 hours from this moment, and I'm taking the under.

Sorry, Sid...love you, but it's time for NCSU to move on...Give me the over. I don't think State will announce such a thing with the ACC Tournament still going on. I'd expect the announcement early next week, after Selection Sunday and before the start of the big tournament.

Matches
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Sorry, Sid...love you, but it's time for NCSU to move on...

I expect they'll wait until sometime next week. In theory NCSU could still be selected for the NIT. Highly unlikely, but it'd be awkward to can the coach and then find out the season's not over....

superdave
03-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I expect they'll wait until sometime next week. In theory NCSU could still be selected for the NIT. Highly unlikely, but it'd be awkward to can the coach and then find out the season's not over....

NCSU is 15-16 and I think you have to be .500 to get in the NIT, right?

Matches
03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

According to Mike Patrick during the game last night, that's no longer the case.

I know, it's Patrick, but still.....

oldnavy
03-11-2011, 10:04 AM
You know what I think would be cool, but will probably never happen is for Gino Auriemma to jump over and coach a DI men's program.

I really don't like him much from what I have seen, but you cannot argue with his success....

I wonder what it would take to get him to go to a men's program??

wilson
03-11-2011, 10:05 AM

According to Mike Patrick during the game last night, that's no longer the case.

I know, it's Patrick, but still.....That rule was scrapped a couple of years ago, in the last round of NCAA/NIT/CBI/CIT/Whatever the heck re-structuring.
That said, nothing about NC State's play for this entire season has displayed any trait of a team worthy of postseason play. They would be a poster child for tournament non-expansion.

davekay1971
03-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Didn't the .500 rule change last year when UNC was threatening to finish the season sub-.500? Kind of like NASCAR changing the Chase for the Championship from 10 drivers to 12 to try to get Earnhardt Jr. in...:rolleyes:

I doubt NCSU is going to make the NIT, but they could make the CBI. It makes sense to me that Yow might wait until after NCSU's postseason play is over before letting Lowe go. At the same time, if she wants to get moving as early as possible on securing a replacement, she could easily ask Towe to stay on as interim for postseason play.

The biggest benefit I see for them moving quickly is getting a new coach in early to allow him to re-recruit State's incoming class...and to try to talk some sense into CJ Leslie.

BD80
03-11-2011, 10:21 AM

It is more of a guideline than a rule ...

Atlanta Duke
03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
It's probably rather telling that the postgame discussion regarding last night's GA Tech-VA Tech game focused not on X's and O's so much as on Paul Hewitt's job future. Hewitt said he "expects to return" (http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/hewitt-said-he-expects-868178.html?cxtype=rss_news) next season, which I think may well be an instance of wishful thinking (definitely would be such if not for that ridiculous buyout). The article states that GA Tech must notify him of his future for next season by Wednesday, or pay $1 million more in the buyout (Good grief! Seriously, who negotiated that contract?!?!).

Dave Braine - former AD who also hired Chan Gailey to kill interest in the football team. Hewitt was regarded as a hot potential hire after taking Tech to the 2004 championship game loss to UConn when he got the sweet contract - guess again

Hewitt may have feigned optimism last night, but this quote indicates he is a little touchy about his employment status.

"Don't put the contract thing out there like I walked into somebody's office with a gun and a mask," Hewitt said.:)

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=227860

Acymetric
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Dave Braine - former AD who also hired Chan Gailey to kill interest in the football team. Hewitt was regarded as a hot potential hire after taking Tech to the 2004 championship game loss to UConn when he got the sweet contract - guess again

Hewitt may have feigned optimism last night, but this quote indicates he is a little touchy about his employment status.

"Don't put the contract thing out there like I walked into somebody's office with a gun and a mask," Hewitt said.:)

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=227860

He has a point...it is certainly not his fault this is happening (I suppose the bad coaching is his fault, but we're talking about the contract). Even if he didn't think he was good enough to warrant it at the time (which I doubt) he would have been an idiot to turn all those millions down. This isn't his problem, its everybody else's.

Of course, it becomes his problem when he becomes forever known as the guy who ruined GT basketball. Seems like both sides have some incentive to find a solution here.

shoutingncu
03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Gregg Doyel (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14797346/nc-state-basketball-finally-has-chance-to-be-great-again) on N.C. State. No news, just an interesting read.

DU82
03-11-2011, 09:43 PM
The NIT sub 500 rule probably changed when they guaranteed regular season champs a place, since it's very possiblemfor the champ of, say, the NEC, would have an overall losing record.

oldnavy
03-12-2011, 07:31 AM
Gregg Doyel (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14797346/nc-state-basketball-finally-has-chance-to-be-great-again) on N.C. State. No news, just an interesting read.

Gregg Doyel, interesting?? No thanks, I think I will pass....

PumpkinFunk
03-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Goodman on Fox Sports is reporting that Paul Hewitt is OUT

shoutingncu
03-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Goodman on Fox Sports is reporting that Paul Hewitt is OUT

Gary Parrish (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/27871270) reporting it, too.

Would have thought Lowe would be first to go...

Faison1
03-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Gary Parrish (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/27871270) reporting it, too.

Would have thought Lowe would be first to go...

I'm not surprised it's Hewitt first, but I am surprised they didn't wait until Monday.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm not surprised it's Hewitt first, but I am surprised they didn't wait until Monday.

They want to start talking to others ASAP I imagine.

sagegrouse
03-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I don't think schools wait until a coach is fired to start a search, esp. when the rumors have been flying for months (years?). I am sure Debbie Yow has had the wheels in motion for some time, given that most schools use intermediaries (headhunters).

WRT State, there are still possibilities for the NIT and the other event (CBI?). And it's not like State is mad at favorite son Lowe -- just profoundly disppointed.

OTOH an abrupt dismissal indicates there is some level of disgust at GT with Hewitt -- or, to put it more accurately, Hewitt's evergreen contract. And AD Dan Radakovich has surely been talking to "people" already -- uh..., those would be the boosters asked to pony up to pay Hewitt's severance.

My reaction: Hewitt did not put a gun at the head of Georgia Tech to force it to give him a ridiculous contract. He can't be blamed for signing it and enforcing its terms.

sagegrouse

DukieInBrasil
03-12-2011, 12:56 PM
By firing Hewitt GT just made the ACC a little bit better. I know WF had a terrible year but JB is in his first year, had to deal with some defections and didn't get to recruit very much, though McKIe is solid. Brownell may get Clemson in the NCAAs in his 1st year, which is a pretty good showing. Bennett's UVa squad showed some verve this year and will hopefully keep improving. BC did a pretty good job in Donohue's 1st year.
Now if we could get Greenberg to start a decent OOC schedule, along with the improvements from the aforementioned coaches, the ACC may revive itself and become a top league again. Of course, if Duke wins the title again this year, that'll be 3 strait years with an ACC team with NCAA title hardware. Hard to argue against that.

devildeac
03-12-2011, 01:08 PM

A certain S. Lowe might be available soon. Very soon.;)

ajgoodfella7
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6209623

ajgoodfella7
03-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Sorry didn't see that it was already reported in the coaching carousel thread... Mods can delete this if they want.

billyj
03-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Paul Hewitt took GT to the NCAA championship game. What has Sid Lowe done? Why does he still have a job lol (let alone it pays millions).

Chris Randolph
03-12-2011, 02:35 PM
It was time for Hewitt to go. It has been time for Lowe to go...

Tubby Smith to Georgia Tech might be a good move for both Tubby and GT. I could see him getting out at Minnesota, that is not ideal basketball country :D

wsb3
03-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought the deal breaker was he has such a huge buyout that GT could not or did not want to afford it. What changed in a year?

I think Hewitt was offered a job last year and turned it down.. St. Johns? I wonder if he regrets that now.

pfrduke
03-12-2011, 02:50 PM
I thought the deal breaker was he has such a huge buyout that GT could not or did not want to afford it. What changed in a year?

I think Hewitt was offered a job last year and turned it down.. St. Johns? I wonder if he regrets that now.

St. John's certainly doesn't.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Tech is renovating/replacing the Thriller Dome but attendance is horrible. Couldn't afford NOT to fire him at this point.

Atlanta Duke
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Hewitt's nemesis Mark Bradley says good riddance while wondering how it went so bad after 2004

I thought then that Georgia Tech had on its hands a man capable of being — dare I say it? — the next Krzyzewski.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/03/12/tech-fires-hewitt-he-had-it-all-and-then-it-all-went-away/

pamtar
03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Cremins back to GT! Thanks to the G-man for the idea.

wsb3
03-12-2011, 06:31 PM
St. John's certainly doesn't.

Good point..

Reilly
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I want somebody to go find Hewitt and say: "Paul, you just got canned. Are you surprised?"

When GT won a game in Cameron early in his career (it broke some streak of ours maybe, or perhaps was just the 2nd time we had lost in the last bajillion games or something) the sideline reporter asked Hewitt if he was surprised his team could come into Cameron and play so well. It was an innocent enough question, the typical fluff that these sideline reporters engage in.

Hewitt blinked and did a double take and got all wide-eyed, and said "surprised? why would I be surprised?" [as in, I'm the best thing since John Wooden strode a sideline, and expect to win in Cameron, Allen Field House and every other venue I may grace with my presence ....] Came off as such the donkey.

Ever since then, over the next oh so many years of GT under-performance and Duke whippings, my friend and I always say at whatever whipping Duke dispenses: "surprised? are you surprised Duke just beat the stuffing out of GT?"

devildeac
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Wonder if El Sid would trade his red jacket for a yellow jacket...

(no way I'm serious about that one though...)

wilson
03-12-2011, 07:37 PM
It was time for Hewitt to go. It has been time for Lowe to go...

Tubby Smith to Georgia Tech might be a good move for both Tubby and GT. I could see him getting out at Minnesota, that is not ideal basketball country :DTubby has recently said that he and his wife really like Minnesota, and that he plans to finish his career there.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/25018/tubby-smith-plans-to-finish-career-at-um
Moreover, GA Tech will presumably have to go the "rising star" route, rather than hiring a big established name. Hewitt's buyout is $7.2 million, they still owe Chan freakin' Gailey another million and a quarter or so (despite the fact that he hasn't coached at Tech in 3 seasons), and they're about to break ground on a fancy (read: expensive) new arena. I really don't think Tech will have a bunch of cash to throw at their next basketball coach. Tubby's current deal pays him just short of $3.5 million a year, way more than Hewitt ever made in a season at Tech.
Even if Tech significantly ups the salary of their next head guy (which, again, I consider unlikely), it certainly won't be enough to lure Tubby away from a place where he's avowedly happy and into a program that's in the dumps.

wsb3
03-12-2011, 07:56 PM
Just read a link where Paul Hewitt gets 120k monthly for five years not to coach. Now that is good money if you can get it.

wilson
03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Just read a link where Paul Hewitt gets 120k monthly for five years not to coach. Now that is good money if you can get it.How's this for irony? The former AD who gave him that contract is named...
Dave Braine.
Wonder what his middle name is?
Bird?
Pea?
Lame?

billyj
03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Just read a link where Paul Hewitt gets 120k monthly for five years not to coach. Now that is good money if you can get it.

Dear GT athletic director,
It is with great honor that I am applying for the 120k-monthly-non-coaching position at your esteemed institution. Given my prior experience not coaching, I think I will fit the role nicely. My other qualifications include .....

:rolleyes:

hurleyfor3
03-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Utah will be joining the Pac 12 with a new coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6210252

1 24 90
03-12-2011, 10:59 PM

I'm a little sick to my stomach right now.

-bdbd
03-13-2011, 03:08 AM
Tubby has recently said that he and his wife really like Minnesota, and that he plans to finish his career there.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/25018/tubby-smith-plans-to-finish-career-at-um
Moreover, GA Tech will presumably have to go the "rising star" route, rather than hiring a big established name. Hewitt's buyout is $7.2 million, they still owe Chan freakin' Gailey another million and a quarter or so (despite the fact that he hasn't coached at Tech in 3 seasons), and they're about to break ground on a fancy (read: expensive) new arena. I really don't think Tech will have a bunch of cash to throw at their next basketball coach. Tubby's current deal pays him just short of $3.5 million a year, way more than Hewitt ever made in a season at Tech.
Even if Tech significantly ups the salary of their next head guy (which, again, I consider unlikely), it certainly won't be enough to lure Tubby away from a place where he's avowedly happy and into a program that's in the dumps.

All good points. Money woes will dictate GT has to go the "young and up-coming" HC route. Anybody think the Duke assistants might be interested in this or the NCSU gig? Collins and Wojo must be looking by now. With the new stadium, and the urban location in a good recruiting state, and a decent tradition, GT might be an attractive opportunity for a high-profile assistant like Collins, for example. And GT has solid academics to boot.

As an aside, I have a co-worker who was a college roomie of Hewitt's. He has told me that "Hewy" really disliked K, and felt that K had run up the score on him several times (by keeping starters in too long of clear Duke victories). So I suspect the Duke staff sheds few tears for this ACC departure.

At least we have, likely, one less competitor in the Tony Parker (from GA) recruiting sweepstakes...

Atlanta Duke
03-13-2011, 09:31 AM
As an aside, I have a co-worker who was a college roomie of Hewitt's. He has told me that "Hewy" really disliked K, and felt that K had run up the score on him several times (by keeping starters in too long of clear Duke victories). So I suspect the Duke staff sheds few tears for this ACC departure.

Hewitt was on Atlanta sports talk shortly after he was riding high following the 2004 NCAA championship appearance and went on at length how difficult it was for teams such as Maryland or GA Tech to compete in the ACC against the bias of conference officials for the Duke-Chapel Hill duopoly.

That was for public consumption - IMO Hewitt had a dislike for K similar to that K had for Dean when K was trying to build up Duke to challenge UNC and K did not Tech's chippy style of play. Hewitt's dislike for Duke (and the AJC's Mark Bradley) appeared to grow after Tech receded into irrelevance.

ArkieDukie
03-13-2011, 09:58 AM
The local TV station in Fayetteville, AR, is reporting that Pelphrey won't be returning next year as the head coach of the Razorbacks. This is the only place I've seen a report of Pelphrey's departure, but I think the fact that it's the local station makes it more believable. http://www.4029tv.com/news/27156286/detail.html

sagegrouse
03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
How's this for irony? The former AD who gave him that contract is named...
Dave Braine.
Wonder what his middle name is?
Bird?
Pea?
Lame?

I dunno, but I bet he's heard them all -- probably by the time he was seven years old. The second grade is merciless. One kid in my second grade class, was named William Nathaniel Ball IV -- Nat Ball -- from a fine old Charleston family. We used to tell him, "you fly to school and then bounce home."

sagegrouse

JG Nothing
03-13-2011, 11:04 AM
I dunno, but I bet he's heard them all -- probably by the time he was seven years old. The second grade is merciless. One kid in my second grade class, was named William Nathaniel Ball IV -- Nat Ball -- from a fine old Charleston family. We used to tell him, "you fly to school and then bounce home."

sagegrouse

It could have been much worse than Nat Ball.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41480994/ns/us_news-weird_news/

wilson
03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
GA Tech AD Dan Radakovich says in today's AJC that he wants to have a new coach in place by April 2. I'm not so sure about that timeline; it seems as if the young coaches at high-performing mid-majors (that is, those who are by and large participating in the NCAA Tournament) should heavily populate the short list of candidates.
The AJC also has a list of candidates (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2011/03/12/who-could-be-techs-next-coach/) up today, with several interesting, familiar names. No Wojo or Collins mentioned, but Herb Sendek does appear on there. Might he want to return to the ACC in a slightly less pressure-packed environment than Tobacco Road?
Also on the list: Scott Drew. I for one would not like to see that happen. As an Atlantan who likes to see Tech succeed, and an ACC fan, I'd prefer for his, ahem, creative ethics and recruiting tactics to remain in the Big 12.
Another interesting name, this one from the wayback machine: Cuonzo Martin. Remember him? The Big Dog's wingman, defeated by Grant Hill, I mean Duke, in the 1994 Southeast Regional Final. Martin has since survived non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and put together a very solid program at Missouri State. Hard to root against him.

JG Nothing
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
All good points. Anybody think the Duke assistants might be interested in this or the NCSU gig? Collins and Wojo must be looking by now.

Given how much K hates to coach against his former players/assistants, I wonder if Collins or Wojo would actually take an ACC job? If they are good enough for the ACC, I am sure other non-ACC schools would come calling.

-jk
03-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Arkansas fires Pelphrey (m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6212623).

texas
03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
capel fired according to seth davis

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/47335939936235520

dyedwab
03-14-2011, 01:04 PM
capel fired according to seth davis

http://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/47335939936235520

Wow. Two year removed from a Final Four - at a school where hoops is a distant second to football in terms of priorities....

....tough business they have chosen....

cameroncrazy3104
03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
After 2 strait losing seasons Jeff Capel is no longer the head coach of the Oklahoma Sooners

wilson
03-14-2011, 05:01 PM
As I posted in the Jeff Capel thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?24832-Jeff-Capel-fired-by-Oklahoma&p=487215#post487215), Jeff Schultz of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution suggests in his column today that Capel may be a candidate at Tech, although he seems to think he'd be a bit too expensive (and he's probably right about that).
Meanwhile, fellow AJC writer Mark Bradley has posted an updated GA Tech candidate list (http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2011/03/14/a-new-list-of-tech-possibilities-this-one-including-amaker/) which includes Tommy Amaker. As several have suggested, Tommy's wife is a respected med school professor at Harvard and thus perhaps unlikely to leave soon, but it's an interesting comment nonetheless. It's certainly a job upgrade for Tommy (no offense to Harvard), and his wife could presumably land on her feet with another good job in the Atlanta area (perhaps at Emory).
Bradley also suggests that Baylor's Scott Drew has been all but removed from consideration due to his NCAA improprieties.

wilson
03-14-2011, 11:00 PM
According to Sports by Brooks (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/nc-state-to-fire-sidney-lowe-hire-search-firm-29559), a pretty good site in my opinion, Sidney Lowe is scheduled to meet with Debbie Yow tomorrow (with, one would assume, a predictable outcome), and State has hired a search firm to begin seeking his replacement. The top four candidates mentioned: Rick Barnes, Tubby Smith, Sean Miller, and Mark Fox.
They're aiming rather high, methinks. Little chance of luring Barnes or Smith to Raleigh, and Fox's buyout at Georgia is $2 million if he wants to leave before 2015.
No idea whether Sean Miller would have any interest in leaving Arizona for Raleigh, as I don't know enough about him or that program.
The story does claim that State is willing to pay up to $3 million per for the right person, so they will be able to aim high. However, I wonder if they're going to find out (again?) that their job isn't as desirable as they think it is.

shoutingncu
03-20-2011, 01:14 AM
Arkansas fires Pelphrey (m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=6212623).

Mizzou's Mike Anderson (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14834119/arkansas-close-to-naming-anderson-its-next-coach) close to returning to Arkansas, says Parrish. Will Missouri go for another Duke assistant?

Also...

Wow. [Capel] Two year removed from a Final Four - at a school where hoops is a distant second to football in terms of priorities....

...I do not believe that this is true.

-bdbd
03-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Rumor of Utah interest in Wojo

Apparently there could be some potential Utes interest in Wojo as Head Coach at Utah. Hmmmm. Not exactly his home stomping grounds around Baltimore, but that is where his wife is from. Any opinions as to whether that might be a good fit, or if it is of sufficient status to be attractive to him? :confused:

Obviously nothing happens until after Duke is done with the NCAAT -- hopefully in early-April...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=14767336&nid=635

burnspbesq
03-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Pure speculation, of course, but here goes.

There are six BCS-conference jobs open: Utah, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, and State. Assume that Sean Miller decides to stay at Arizona. Then the top five candidates to move up are Mark Turgeon, Josh Pastner, Randy Bennett, Cuonzo Martin, and Shaka Smart (I assume that Gillespie and Drew are damaged goods, that nobody has enough money to tempt Mark Few or Brad Stevens, and that Fran Dunphy and Stew Morrill are considered to be too old).

If all of those guys move, Utah is the most likely candidate to miss out. If so, then Utah is still open, plus Texas A&M, Memphis, St. Mary's, Missouri State, and VCU. Any of those would be good first head coaching jobs for Chris or Wojo.

Of course, something surprising could happen, like Fran Fraschilla hanging up the earpiece and getting back into coaching.

I think this is the year they both fly out of the nest.

pfrduke
03-20-2011, 12:41 PM

There are six BCS-conference jobs open: Utah, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, and State. Assume that Sean Miller decides to stay at Arizona. Then the top five candidates to move up are Mark Turgeon, Josh Pastner, Randy Bennett, Cuonzo Martin, and Shaka Smart (I assume that Gillespie and Drew are damaged goods, that nobody has enough money to tempt Mark Few or Brad Stevens, and that Fran Dunphy and Stew Morrill are considered to be too old).

If all of those guys move, Utah is the most likely candidate to miss out. If so, then Utah is still open, plus Texas A&M, Memphis, St. Mary's, Missouri State, and VCU. Any of those would be good first head coaching jobs for Chris or Wojo.

Of course, something surprising could happen, like Fran Fraschilla hanging up the earpiece and getting back into coaching.

One job gone, one damaged good off the market.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727)

theAlaskanBear
03-20-2011, 01:13 PM

I would love to get Pastner and Smart into the ACC coaching fraternity. Additionally, I think these schools need to hire young because they are both rebuilding jobs, you and you need the energy, fire, and ego that comes more easily with youth!

A couple of questions: Smart seems like the real deal, but he has only been the head coach at VCU for 2 years -- have we seen if he is an effective recruiter yet?

-bdbd
03-20-2011, 01:21 PM
One job gone, one damaged good off the market.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6239727)

Wasn't Gillespie considered part of the equation for OK letting Capel go? So this might be disappointing for them.

I would love to see at least one assitant "fly the nest" this year, and it seems that Collins is the one most often discussed. My question is would he (or Wojo) leave for a non-BCS job? Say, something like VCU. The Utah job is interesting with the Pac-12 entry. I like the idea of continuing to get new blood, mix it up some on the staff too. Certainly would rather see Collins or whoever get some HC experience before being considered to lead at Duke eventually. I've been thinking that a K replacement - preferably in 5+ years - would most likely come from among Dawkins, Collins and MB at Notre Dame. Mike is certainly the currently most successful one of that group.

ajgoodfella7
03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
The Bruce Pearl saga has finally come to an end according to Gary Parrish:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/28018503?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

weezie
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Shaka Smart, maybe?

roywhite
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Shaka Smart, maybe?

Smart and Tennessee? just doesn't sound right together :)

Actually, there's a terrific coach already on campus at Knoxville that would be a great MBB coach for the Vols. Pat, are you interested?

SmartDevil
03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Wonder who will eventually--possibly years hence--risk giving the very inaptly named "Pearl" a new chance at coaching? Who wants to hire someone one has become associated in the presss with the words "lying" and "cheating?"

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
FWIW, Mark Bradley (the AJC writer who has been on GTech's case for years to dump Hewitt) has been sort of lobbying for them to hire Cuonzo Martin I think.

Personally, I think the GT job is more promising and enticing than the State job if I got to choose.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Wonder who will eventually--possibly years hence--risk giving the very inaptly named "Pearl" a new chance at coaching? Who wants to hire someone one has become associated in the presss with the word "lying?"

Well, Kentucky wasn't slowed down by hiring Calipari . . . .

SmartDevil
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Yes, that was what I originally typed but deleted....but you're absolutely right. Nonetheless, I doubt Pearl will have his resiliency.

cruxer
03-21-2011, 03:19 PM

AFAIK Cal has managed to stay personally clear of any allegations during his coaching career. His players have been the ones to violate rules, with his having plausible deniability.

Pearl, on the other hand, is alleged to have committed a violation 4 days after his tearful press conference admitting to and apologizing for his first set of violations. That last violation likely sealed his fate and may result in a "show cause" on him for a couple of years.

-c

wilson
03-21-2011, 03:20 PM
That last violation likely sealed his fate and may result in a "show cause" on him for a couple of years.

-cIf that be the case, he'll get good TV work somewhere. He's quite affable and, in terms of Xs and Os, a good coach.
He won't just disappear.

ArkieDukie
03-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Wonder who will eventually--possibly years hence--risk giving the very inaptly named "Pearl" a new chance at coaching? Who wants to hire someone one has become associated in the presss with the words "lying" and "cheating?"

How many programs did Jim Harrick leave in shambles? UCLA, Rhode Island, and Georgia, right?

sagegrouse
03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
FWIW, Mark Bradley (the AJC writer who has been on GTech's case for years to dump Hewitt) has been sort of lobbying for them to hire Cuonzo Martin I think.

Personally, I think the GT job is more promising and enticing than the State job if I got to choose.

I think that Georgia Tech is the third best job in the ACC after Duke and UNC. (a) Some tradition (thanks, Bobby). (b) Only major college team in the South's largest city. (c) Tons of community support for GT in general, both education and athletics. (d) Not close to Duke and UNC.

I would put State and UVa, followed by Maryland and Wake, as the next most attractive jobs. I can't give a lot of points to the football schools, although the long-term potential is there; Virginia Tech is in the boondocks; BC is near a fabulous city but is totally isolated from the rest of the ACC.

sagegrouse

BD80
03-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I think that Georgia Tech is the third best job in the ACC after Duke and UNC. (a) Some tradition (thanks, Bobby). (b) Only major college team in the South's largest city. (c) Tons of community support for GT in general, both education and athletics. (d) Not close to Duke and UNC.

I would put State and UVa, followed by Maryland and Wake, as the next most attractive jobs. I can't give a lot of points to the football schools, although the long-term potential is there; Virginia Tech is in the boondocks; BC is near a fabulous city but is totally isolated from the rest of the ACC.

sagegrouse

Facilities?

This is an honest question. Today's recruits think of themselves as pros in the making, and want to see professional training and practice facilities. Coach K made sure we are on the top, but where do the other ACC schools rank?

BD80
03-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Might UT be the spot for CC?

We know Chris will eventually get a top notch job, is UT the one? Tennessee will be looking for a straight arrow after Pearl, and a Coach K disciple might fit the bill. CC is a very good recruiter and has strong Chicago ties, which is really only one state (Indiana) away. Having a dad coaching in the NBA is a nice little reference to drop.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 05:36 PM

sagegrouse

Excellent break-down, sage. Agreed.

And to BD's question, Tech is renovating/replacing the Thriller Dome. They will be on the road this year (playing in Phillips, where the Hawks play, and in Gwinnett Co.) and then will have a brand new gym. Not sure about practice facilities, but I imagine some of the stuff that overlaps football (strength training) is top notch.

tommy
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Might UT be the spot for CC?

We know Chris will eventually get a top notch job, is UT the one? Tennessee will be looking for a straight arrow after Pearl, and a Coach K disciple might fit the bill. CC is a very good recruiter and has strong Chicago ties, which is really only one state (Indiana) away. Having a dad coaching in the NBA is a nice little reference to drop.

I'd be a little uncertain about the direction of Tennessee athletics under AD Mike Hamilton. He's made 3 hires in the two key sports: Bruce Pearl, Lane Kiffin, and Derek Dooley. I guess the jury's still out on Dooley after one (sub-.500) year, but the other two were, in retrospect of course, bad hires. I'm not convinced Hamilton is the kind of leader I'd want Chris to be working for, especially considering UT is, and always will be, a football-first school.

A-Tex Devil
03-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I'd be a little uncertain about the direction of Tennessee athletics under AD Mike Hamilton. He's made 3 hires in the two key sports: Bruce Pearl, Lane Kiffin, and Derek Dooley. I guess the jury's still out on Dooley after one (sub-.500) year, but the other two were, in retrospect of course, bad hires. I'm not convinced Hamilton is the kind of leader I'd want Chris to be working for, especially considering UT is, and always will be, a football-first school.

CC = Illinois after Bruce Weber is fired next year? Although we are seeing fewer assistants get big time (and by that I mean BCS conference) coaching jobs. JD was the last one I remember, although there may be others.

SoCalDukeFan
03-21-2011, 07:14 PM

I really don't understand how Hamilton keeps his job. Kiffin was probably a bad choice from the outset and certainly turned out bad when he left them in the lurch. Then he lost on Cutcliffe because Hamilton had guaranteed the contracts of several assistants and Cut could not bring his guys with him. Given those circumstances Dooley was probably as good as they were going to do, but Hamilton created the circumstances.

Pearl may have been a good hire a the time and can certainly coach. But where is the leadership from the AD.

SoCal

tommy
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
CC = Illinois after Bruce Weber is fired next year? Although we are seeing fewer assistants get big time (and by that I mean BCS conference) coaching jobs. JD was the last one I remember, although there may be others.

Weber is kind of an interesting case. His first two years, he was very successful, including the fantastic team that went all the way to the finals.

In the eight years under Weber, the Illini have made the tournament six times but only one Sweet 16 in addition to the big run of 2004-05. In his first three years, they lost seven, two, and seven games -- excellent. But in each of the five years since, they've lost double digit games, including 14 this year, 15 last year, and 19 losses in 2007-08. That's a lot.

This year was typical. Sure, they won 20 games and even won a game in the tournament, but they lost 14 games. Now most of those were to good teams - Texas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Purdue twice, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan. And a few not as good. Only two "bad" losses - to Illinois-Chicago and to Indiana. And balanced that out with some real quality wins -- like beating UNC, Maryland, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Oakland. Those are some nice wins. Pretty uneven performance overall.

Adding it up, I guess Illinois is just a good but far from great basketball program right now. Maybe that's enough for them. I think Weber gets more time there. The program is clean, they're making the tournament pretty regularly, they won a tournament game this year, and I just don't think they're going to make a change from that if he can turn it up just a notch in the next few years. Like maybe winning three or four more games than he has been -- seems like 25-9 would look a lot better than 20-14.

ArkieDukie
03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
Wasn't Gillespie considered part of the equation for OK letting Capel go? So this might be disappointing for them.

I would love to see at least one assitant "fly the nest" this year, and it seems that Collins is the one most often discussed. My question is would he (or Wojo) leave for a non-BCS job? Say, something like VCU. The Utah job is interesting with the Pac-12 entry. I like the idea of continuing to get new blood, mix it up some on the staff too. Certainly would rather see Collins or whoever get some HC experience before being considered to lead at Duke eventually. I've been thinking that a K replacement - preferably in 5+ years - would most likely come from among Dawkins, Collins and MB at Notre Dame. Mike is certainly the currently most successful one of that group.

If this is true, it wouldn't be the first time a school has fired a head coach, believing that they could get Billy Gillispie as the next head coach. Arkansas allegedly fired Stan Heath after former AD Frank Broyles was convinced that Billy Gillispie would sign on the dotted line. The Kentucky job came open, and the rest is history.

ArkieDukie
03-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Mike Anderson was reportedly at the top of Arkansas' list, but now he's reportedly signing an extension with Missouri. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6245054

I've heard that next on the list is Buzz Williams of Marquette, who has ties to the state. If Buzz Williams does end up at Arkansas, would Chris Collins be a good fit for Marquette?

OldPhiKap
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Word on the Georgia street is that Richmond's coach is pencilled in for the GT job. Time will tell.

4decadedukie
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
USA Today has just reported that Bruce Pearl was terminated by Tennessee, which is hardly a surprise.

77devil
03-21-2011, 10:08 PM
USA Today has just reported that Bruce Pearl was terminated by Tennessee, which is hardly a surprise.

UT should send the AD packing right behind Pearl. Announcing on national TV before the last Tennessee game that Pearl's status was undetermined was about as stupid as it gets. And he hired Lane Kiffin.

dukeblue4ever
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
USA Today has just reported that Bruce Pearl was terminated by Tennessee, which is hardly a surprise.Everybody here in Knoxville is extremely distraught. There was a poll on the newspaper website that stated "Whom do you support more?"
92% Bruce Pearl
8% Mike Hamilton

This poll had over 13,000 votes, so it is a large sample size. Everybody here wanted (and still wants) Hamilton gone and Bruce to stay (not happening).

Duvall
03-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Everybody here in Knoxville is extremely distraught. There was a poll on the newspaper website that stated "Whom do you support more?"
92% Bruce Pearl
8% Mike Hamilton

This poll had over 13,000 votes, so it is a large sample size. Everybody here wanted (and still wants) Hamilton gone and Bruce to stay (not happening).

Now there's a false dichotomy. There's more than enough reason for both to be gone.

cspan37421
03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Not the same situation, but I worry that if one of our guys took the UT job, the NCAA might hammer UT much in the same way that Tommy Amaker stepped into a steaming pile of manure at Michigan. There are too many other decent jobs that will open up, why chance it when the penalties are yet to doled out? If the story about the Richmond guy going to GT is true, why not start out there? Or any of a number of places that aren't about to get smacked (if the NCAA finds its spine).

It's one thing to "buy low" - get in when a program is down, nowhere to go but up. Show what a difference you can make. It's quite another when the program is about to be knocked down for violations. Then your recruiting is hamstrung, and it becomes a vicious cycle.

TexHawk
03-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Weber is kind of an interesting case. His first two years, he was very successful, including the fantastic team that went all the way to the finals.

In the eight years under Weber, the Illini have made the tournament six times but only one Sweet 16 in addition to the big run of 2004-05. In his first three years, they lost seven, two, and seven games -- excellent. But in each of the five years since, they've lost double digit games, including 14 this year, 15 last year, and 19 losses in 2007-08. That's a lot.

This year was typical. Sure, they won 20 games and even won a game in the tournament, but they lost 14 games. Now most of those were to good teams - Texas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Purdue twice, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan. And a few not as good. Only two "bad" losses - to Illinois-Chicago and to Indiana. And balanced that out with some real quality wins -- like beating UNC, Maryland, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Oakland. Those are some nice wins. Pretty uneven performance overall.

Adding it up, I guess Illinois is just a good but far from great basketball program right now. Maybe that's enough for them. I think Weber gets more time there. The program is clean, they're making the tournament pretty regularly, they won a tournament game this year, and I just don't think they're going to make a change from that if he can turn it up just a notch in the next few years. Like maybe winning three or four more games than he has been -- seems like 25-9 would look a lot better than 20-14.
Living in Chicago, I can tell you that the natives are definitely restless in regards to Bruce. His only real success came with players that Bill Self left for him. (UNLV was the first tournament game that he won with a team he recruited.) With no other competition in the state (not counting Northwestern), Illinois loses out on way too many Chicago kids. That school could be a monster with the right guy in charge. Example: they chose Weber over Thad Matta.

Funny, I know a few Illinois fans who now wish that Deron Williams never willed that team back in the comeback against 'Zona in the E8 in '05. Great win at the time, but if they had lost that, Bruce would likely have been fired already.

tommy
03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Providence has hired Fairfield coach Ed Cooley to be the Friars' new coach. He was the Metro Atlantic's Coach of the Year this year after guiding Fairfield to 25 wins and an NIT bid. Nice step up for Coach Cooley into a Big East job.

JasonEvans
03-23-2011, 07:33 AM
It is official, Billy Gillespie is being announced today as the new head coach at Texas Tech (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14846235/texas-tech-to-introduce-gillispie-as-new-coach). He got a 5-year deal.

With some other higher profile job openings out there, I am sorta surprised that Billy G went for TexTech. It is not exactly a school with a ton of history an success on its side. I sorta thought he would end up at Oklahoma. But, I look forward to him providing some stiff competition to Rick Barnes and Texas for stud in-state recruits.

-Jason "anyone hear what he is making per season? I am betting it is in the $1.1- $1.5 mil range" Evans

House G
03-23-2011, 09:19 AM
It is official, Billy Gillespie is being announced today as the new head coach at Texas Tech (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14846235/texas-tech-to-introduce-gillispie-as-new-coach). He got a 5-year deal.

With some other higher profile job openings out there, I am sorta surprised that Billy G went for TexTech. It is not exactly a school with a ton of history an success on its side. I sorta thought he would end up at Oklahoma. But, I look forward to him providing some stiff competition to Rick Barnes and Texas for stud in-state recruits.

-Jason "anyone hear what he is making per season? I am betting it is in the $1.1- $1.5 mil range" Evans

Maybe it's hard for Billy G to get a better job with his history of drinking and driving.

throatybeard
03-23-2011, 07:40 PM
So the talk radio people have been going wild since Vahe Gregorian of the Post-Dispatch tweeted a few hours ago that Anderson is leaving Mizzou for Arkansas. Anderson, you'll recall, put out the grease fire Quin Snyder set in Columbia. They just doubled his salary a couple years ago. Supposedly they've already removed his parking space sign.

El_Diablo
03-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Mike Anderson was reportedly at the top of Arkansas' list, but now he's reportedly signing an extension with Missouri. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6245054

I've heard that next on the list is Buzz Williams of Marquette, who has ties to the state. If Buzz Williams does end up at Arkansas, would Chris Collins be a good fit for Marquette?

Katz reports that Anderson is going to Arkansas after all...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6249515

diveonthefloor
03-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Truly a shame to see Anderson leave Mizzou.

He single-handedly made their program relevant again.

Arkansas fans should be excited. He's the first decent coach they've hired for a long time. The SEC needs a well-coached program to compete with the pay-for-play Calislimi squads.

One thing for sure....Mizzou will not come after Chris Collins.....Quin burned the bridge across the Missouri River for any more Duke assistants.

TexHawk
03-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Truly a shame to see Anderson leave Mizzou.

He single-handedly made their program relevant again.

Arkansas fans should be excited. He's the first decent coach they've hired for a long time. The SEC needs a well-coached program to compete with the pay-for-play Calislimi squads.

One thing for sure....Mizzou will not come after Chris Collins.....Quin burned the bridge across the Missouri River for any more Duke assistants.
Whoa... Hold the phone for a second. Please explain how Mike Anderson made Missouri relevant. He made one E8 a few years ago, and won one conference tournament (thanks to upsets to the top 4 seeds).

He teaches a style of play that might pull off a couple upsets, but it can't match up with more talented, stronger teams on a regular basis. This season, with one of the more experienced Big 12 teams, he took them from preseason Top 10 to the bubble, another 6th place conference finish, and a blowout first round loss.

Trust us, he went 1-10 vs his biggest rival. The only people more upset about Anderson going to Arkansas are KU fans. His version of "40 minutes of mild annoyance" was basically a layup line for Bill Self teams.

(The unbelievable part: Mike Anderson now makes more money than Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Ben Howland, and Rick Barnes.)

ArkieDukie
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Whoa... Hold the phone for a second. Please explain how Mike Anderson made Missouri relevant. He made one E8 a few years ago, and won one conference tournament (thanks to upsets to the top 4 seeds).

He teaches a style of play that might pull off a couple upsets, but it can't match up with more talented, stronger teams on a regular basis. This season, with one of the more experienced Big 12 teams, he took them from preseason Top 10 to the bubble, another 6th place conference finish, and a blowout first round loss.

Trust us, he went 1-10 vs his biggest rival. The only people more upset about Anderson going to Arkansas are KU fans. His version of "40 minutes of mild annoyance" was basically a layup line for Bill Self teams.

(The unbelievable part: Mike Anderson now makes more money than Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Ben Howland, and Rick Barnes.)

All of my Arkansas friends and family are thrilled about this hire. Me, not so much, because of the reasons you cited above. People in Arkansas believe that he's going to bring back the Nolan Richardson glory days (Anderson was Richardson's top assistant at AR for something like 17 yrs and was acting head coach after Richardson was fired). I'll believe it when I see it.

The Fox affiliate in St. Louis reported tonight that Mizzou pulled their $2 million raise when Anderson asked for permission to speak to Arkansas about the coaching vacancy. IMO Jimmy Sexton worked his magic again: he played Mizzou and Arkansas off each other to get a huge salary for his client. I can't believe that the U of A hired a Sexton client after all the hassle with former football coach Houston Nutt, another Sexton client. Anderson has gotten raises in recent years after "interest" from Oregon and Georgia, and Houston Nutt routinely got raises using the same strategy. It got very old very fast, and I believe this was a huge factor in the reason many Arkansas fans weren't sorry to see Nutt leave for Ole Miss. Call me cynical, but I suspect that Anderson will continue to leverage raises every year or so by being "interested" in other job offers.

crote
03-24-2011, 01:23 AM
All of my Arkansas friends and family are thrilled about this hire. Me, not so much, because of the reasons you cited above. People in Arkansas believe that he's going to bring back the Nolan Richardson glory days (Anderson was Richardson's top assistant at AR for something like 17 yrs and was acting head coach after Richardson was fired). I'll believe it when I see it.

Of the legitimate candidates people were throwing around, my preference would have been Buzz Williams. But I'm warming up to Anderson. He's done reasonably well at Mizzou. His three NCAA appearances over the last three seasons are three more than the Razorbacks had during that time period. He's done OK recruiting as Missouri, and it looks like the incoming top 5 recruiting class at Arkansas will remain intact under the new regime. And from the AD's perspective, he will put butts in seats at Bud Walton from the get go.

What matters most is this: Unlike Pelphrey, who was by no means a clear upgrade over Heath, I think Anderson is pretty clearly a step up from his predecessor. Again, I think Buzz was the ideal candidate, but I also think that Anderson is as good a coach as Arkansas could hire right now.

Edited to add:

Another thing: to steal a link from another thread Arkansas basketball is 13th in the country in revenue (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-forbes-highest_revenue_generating_college_teams_032211) during the 2008-09 academic year. Good enough for second place in the SEC. And this after, oh, a decade or so of mediocrity. Arkansas really is a sleeping giant. That, together with natural inroads to fertile recruiting beds in Texas and Memphis and the utterly abysmal state of the SEC West make Arkansas a relatively easy place to be successful. I think those factors, as much as "coming home" and Sexton's machinations, are what lured Anderson back to Arkansas. And I also think that those same factors should ensure that an even above average coach will be able to win and win consistently in Fayetteville. Mike Anderson is, at minimum, an above average coach.

throatybeard
03-24-2011, 01:55 AM
If I were an Arkansas fan, the part of Anderson's resume that might bother me is just 43-37 in B12 conference play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)

Then again, the SEC West is some flaming weak sauce. LSU and Bama have fallen off, Ole Miss and Auburn are usually suspect, and the less I say about what Mississippi State has been up to recently, the better.

mbd1mbd1
03-24-2011, 09:53 AM
As an Arkansas native and fan, I'm excited for Anderson to come back home. Nolan's personality and graduation rate aside, his teams were exciting to watch and fun to root for. The program needs something to be excited about, and if Anderson can get it going, the state will respond. I agree with he sleeping giant idea.

TexHawk
03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Not sure where the "Anderson is a good recruiter" stuff is coming from. In his time at Missouri, he brought in exactly two four star players. One was a Juco transfer. The other is Phil Pressey, who is likely following Anderson to Arkansas. (Anderson and ex-pro Paul Pressey are very close friends.) These two highly ranked players contributed to the Tiger free-fall from the Top 10 and first round blowout loss.

You could also point to Demare Carroll, who played really well, led them to his only E8, and is in the NBA today. Unfortunately for Anderson's recruiting rep, Carroll is also his nephew.

crote
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Not sure where the "Anderson is a good recruiter" stuff is coming from. In his time at Missouri, he brought in exactly two four star players. One was a Juco transfer. The other is Phil Pressey, who is likely following Anderson to Arkansas. (Anderson and ex-pro Paul Pressey are very close friends.) These two highly ranked players contributed to the Tiger free-fall from the Top 10 and first round blowout loss.

You could also point to Demare Carroll, who played really well, led them to his only E8, and is in the NBA today. Unfortunately for Anderson's recruiting rep, Carroll is also his nephew.

I said he was an OK recruiter, not a good one. And I think that's true. In addition to Pressey (who he probably doesn't get credit for) and the JUCO guy Ratliffe (who, incidentally, picked Mizzou over Arkansas in a more or less head to head recruiting battle), you've also got to mention Michael Dixon (a 3 star but ranked 12 at his position) and Kim English (4 star). He also got a commitment from very highly touted Tony Mitchell over a several big name schools, although Mitchell was ultimately ineligible. All of that gives me hope that he can do a passable job recruiting at Arkansas, which has more natural advantages than Mizzou.

You're talking like Anderson was a terrible hire. At both Mizzou and UAB he was won and made the tournament consistently, two things Arkansas hasn't with any regularity in over a decade. Do I think he's going to win a national title at Arkansas? Probably not. But I do think he'll make Arkansas basketball relevant again, which given the current state of the program is no small feat.

Again, the most important thing: We can be fairly certain he'll do better than Pelphrey.

diveonthefloor
03-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Whoa... Hold the phone for a second. Please explain how Mike Anderson made Missouri relevant.

I guess you have forgotten about Mizzou's last three years under Quin.

TexHawk
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I said he was an OK recruiter, not a good one. And I think that's true. In addition to Pressey (who he probably doesn't get credit for) and the JUCO guy Ratliffe (who, incidentally, picked Mizzou over Arkansas in a more or less head to head recruiting battle), you've also got to mention Michael Dixon (a 3 star but ranked 12 at his position) and Kim English (4 star). He also got a commitment from very highly touted Tony Mitchell over a several big name schools, although Mitchell was ultimately ineligible. All of that gives me hope that he can do a passable job recruiting at Arkansas, which has more natural advantages than Mizzou.

You're talking like Anderson was a terrible hire. At both Mizzou and UAB he was won and made the tournament consistently, two things Arkansas hasn't with any regularity in over a decade. Do I think he's going to win a national title at Arkansas? Probably not. But I do think he'll make Arkansas basketball relevant again, which given the current state of the program is no small feat.

Again, the most important thing: We can be fairly certain he'll do better than Pelphrey.
All other big name schools wouldn't touch Tony Mitchell with a 10 foot pole. His eligibility issues were very well known. Missouri took a flier to show everyone that Top 20 kids would consider them, and crossed their fingers he would be able to play. No real loss to Missouri, other than the time/money spent on him.

I actually disagree on the natural advantages for Arkansas > Missouri. Arkansas has some tradition, sure. But Mizzou is the only BCS program in a talent-rich state, between two large metropolitan cities. They should have a default pipeline to St. Louis kids, as Illinois focuses more on Chicago. Their facilities are actually pretty good, and the fanbase really supports a winner. Missouri could be a monster if they ever got a competent athletic department. As a KU fan, I am genuinely frightened that they catch lightning in a bottle with their next hire.

Is it a terrible basketball hire for Arkansas? No, not terrible. But if you throw in how much they are paying, I am just dumbfounded. They could do a lot better for $2.2 million.

loran16
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
The New York Daily News is reporting that Purdue's Matt Painter is leaving to go to Mizzou for 14M over 7 years.

Unbelievable.

tommy
03-28-2011, 11:52 PM
The New York Daily News is reporting that Purdue's Matt Painter is leaving to go to Mizzou for 14M over 7 years.

Unbelievable.

Yeah, it is hard to believe he'd leave his alma mater, where he's a coaching star with great visibility, for a non-top tier program in another conference. It's just the bump from $1.3M to $2M that I guess he can't turn down. Wonder if Purdue is trying to scrape together the extra cash to keep him.

And if he does go, what a shame for both Purdue and Cuonzo Martin, who just took the troubled Tennessee position a few days ago. He of course would have been the perfect replacement for Painter. Can Cuonzo get a do-over?

Indoor66
03-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Yeah, it is hard to believe he'd leave his alma mater, where he's a coaching star with great visibility, for a non-top tier program in another conference. It's just the bump from $1.3M to $2M that I guess he can't turn down. Wonder if Purdue is trying to scrape together the extra cash to keep him.

And if he does go, what a shame for both Purdue and Cuonzo Martin, who just took the troubled Tennessee position a few days ago. He of course would have been the perfect replacement for Painter. Can Cuonzo get a do-over?

Call Billy Donovan - he's got the technique down pat.

loran16
03-29-2011, 01:13 PM

The rumor is that Painter has been upset because Purdue won't let him give good salaries to his assistants, one of whom left for more money last year at CLEMSON of all places.

Mizzou is offering not just the money to Painter, but for an additional amount for his assistants so that they won't be swiped away.

Klemnop
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
The rumor is that Painter has been upset because Purdue won't let him give good salaries to his assistants, one of whom left for more money last year at CLEMSON of all places.

Mizzou is offering not just the money to Painter, but for an additional amount for his assistants so that they won't be swiped away.

I see what you did there. :mad:

loran16
03-29-2011, 06:22 PM

Sorry Klemnop, when I said "of all places" I meant that there's really no advantage Clemson has over Purdue, especially with a new coach, for an assistant coach (Purdue is a consistent Top 3-4 Team in the B11, Clemson is at best Top 3-4, probably below that). It won't help their resume at all and they're not going to be getting the Clemson head coaching job.

The only reason for the moves have been money, in that Purdue is apparently known to be cheap with the assistants. And well, Imagine if Coach K constantly had to find new assistant coaches as Wojo, Collins, et al were all lured away to be ASSISTANT COACHES for someone else since they weren't paid enough.

Klemnop
03-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Sorry Klemnop, when I said "of all places" I meant that there's really no advantage Clemson has over Purdue, especially with a new coach, for an assistant coach (Purdue is a consistent Top 3-4 Team in the B11, Clemson is at best Top 3-4, probably below that). It won't help their resume at all and they're not going to be getting the Clemson head coaching job.

The only reason for the moves have been money, in that Purdue is apparently known to be cheap with the assistants. And well, Imagine if Coach K constantly had to find new assistant coaches as Wojo, Collins, et al were all lured away to be ASSISTANT COACHES for someone else since they weren't paid enough.

Just letting you know I'm paying attention. CLEMSON didn't necessarily have to be in all CAPS. :cool:

As you noted, Ricky Ray moving to Clemson was more about Purdue not coming up with the cash than Clemson being a massively appealing option. That said, Brownell's roots run deep in the midwest and I'm sure that he shared many mutual contacts with Ricky Ray. For Ray it was the chance to take the "A" seat at an ACC program while boadening his recruiting footprint. I'd be surprised if Ray lasted at Clemson past next season - with a mid-major Head Coach position being his next logical step. He's already interviewed for two lower tier programs in the last week (Florida Gulf Coast is one, I can't recall the other.) My guess is he's interviewing for the experience of it but next year the "right" program will come calling.

Similar pedigree and career path as Shaka Smart (who held the "A" seat at Clemson for Oliver Purnell before moving over to UF with Donovan for two seasons.)

Klem

OldPhiKap
03-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Just letting you know I'm paying attention. CLEMSON didn't necessarily have to be in all CAPS. :cool:

As you noted, Ricky Ray moving to Clemson was more about Purdue not coming up with the cash than Clemson being a massively appealing option. That said, Brownell's roots run deep in the midwest and I'm sure that he shared many mutual contacts with Ricky Ray. For Ray it was the chance to take the "A" seat at an ACC program while boadening his recruiting footprint. I'd be surprised if Ray lasted at Clemson past next season - with a mid-major Head Coach position being his next logical step. He's already interviewed for two lower tier programs in the last week (Florida Gulf Coast is one, I can't recall the other.) My guess is he's interviewing for the experience of it but next year the "right" program will come calling.

Similar pedigree and career path as Shaka Smart (who held the "A" seat at Clemson for Oliver Purnell before moving over to UF with Donovan for two seasons.)

Klem

I'll say in defense of Klem -- not that he needs it from me or anyone else -- but if you haven't been to the renovated Littlejohn you owe yourself a trip. Very intense atmosphere (for Duke games, at least -- my only experiences) and great fans. Plus a pretty campus.

Now, if you could do something about winning in CH, we'll call it a great season!

Klemnop
03-30-2011, 12:16 AM

For what it's worth, Clemson has won the 3rd most ACC games over the last four seasons. Clemson and Duke are the only two ACC programs to have made the NCAA Tournament in each of the last four seasons. Clemson's lowest conference standing in that four year period is 5th - highest is 3rd.

I'm not sure what Purdue's track record is over a similar period. I know that Clemson played them head-up twice in the ACC-B10 Challenge when Etwaun Moore/Robbie Hummel et.al. were freshman and sophomores...and beat them both time. That was three and four years ago.

At some point I guess someone will acknowledge that Clemson has taken a significant, sustained step forward as a program over the last five years. I understand that a lifetime of perceptions may die hard - but the reality is that after UNC and Duke, Clemson is the best and most consistent program in the league. That includes some of the most impressive wins/games in program history (2008 home thrashing of Duke, 2009 home thrashing of UNC, 2007 ACC Tourney semi-final W over Duke and multiple - painful - close calls at winning the unwinnable game in Chapel Hill.)

In 2008 the team was not supposed to be able to survive the graduation of Cliff Hammonds and James Mays. In 2009 they weren't supposed to be able to live without KC Rivers and Terrence Oglesby. Last season they weren't supposed to be able to overcome the departure of Trevor Booker. Next year they'll have to learn to live without Demontez Stitt and Jerai Grant. I'm sure the media will bury them again in the lower part of the pre-season projections...but if they hold true to recent form the Tigers will be a pain in everyone's side once again.

Klem

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't think it's been mentioned here that King Rice just accepted the head coach position at Monmouth (http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/index.ssf/2011/03/monmouth_tabs_vanderbilt_assistant_coach_king_rice _as_new_mens_basketball_coach.html) after several years of being an assistant at Vandy. I hate to say it, but he'll definitely be missed in Nashville. He drove me nuts when he was at Carolina, much like I expect KM to do.

Bluedog
03-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Painter to Mizzou according to multiple sources although nothing official from the schools themselves has been announced yet:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-tracker/article_a136221c-5ae4-11e0-9743-0017a4a78c22.html
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-30/report-matt-painter-to-coach-missouri-tigers-leave-purdue

sagegrouse
03-30-2011, 01:59 PM
For what it's worth, Clemson has won the 3rd most ACC games over the last four seasons. Clemson and Duke are the only two ACC programs to have made the NCAA Tournament in each of the last four seasons. Clemson's lowest conference standing in that four year period is 5th - highest is 3rd.

I'm not sure what Purdue's track record is over a similar period. I know that Clemson played them head-up twice in the ACC-B10 Challenge when Etwaun Moore/Robbie Hummel et.al. were freshman and sophomores...and beat them both time. That was three and four years ago.

At some point I guess someone will acknowledge that Clemson has taken a significant, sustained step forward as a program over the last five years. I understand that a lifetime of perceptions may die hard - but the reality is that after UNC and Duke, Clemson is the best and most consistent program in the league. That includes some of the most impressive wins/games in program history (2008 home thrashing of Duke, 2009 home thrashing of UNC, 2007 ACC Tourney semi-final W over Duke and multiple - painful - close calls at winning the unwinnable game in Chapel Hill.)

In 2008 the team was not supposed to be able to survive the graduation of Cliff Hammonds and James Mays. In 2009 they weren't supposed to be able to live without KC Rivers and Terrence Oglesby. Last season they weren't supposed to be able to overcome the departure of Trevor Booker. Next year they'll have to learn to live without Demontez Stitt and Jerai Grant. I'm sure the media will bury them again in the lower part of the pre-season projections...but if they hold true to recent form the Tigers will be a pain in everyone's side once again.

Klem

Easy, easy, big guy! Loran16 (wasn't the LORAN system retired 20 years ago?) had a throwaway phrase ("of all places"), which he made the mistake of defending.

Purdue, the alma mater of John Wooden IIRC, and a perennial basketball power, does seem to be doing a poor job of keeping its talented staff. I mean, losing Painter to Mizzou? That's awful. Perhaps the powers that be in West Lafeyette believe that Brad Stevens is on the way. I doubt it -- but maybe that's what they believe.

sagegrouse
'Driving by West Lafeyette on the way to the Indianapolis Final Four, I could barely see the town, but I drove past the largest wind farm I have ever encountered. I'm glad those Purdue engineers are getting something done'

tommy
03-30-2011, 03:52 PM
Painter to Mizzou according to multiple sources although nothing official from the schools themselves has been announced yet:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-tracker/article_a136221c-5ae4-11e0-9743-0017a4a78c22.html
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-30/report-matt-painter-to-coach-missouri-tigers-leave-purdue

Andy Katz at ESPN is reporting just the opposite here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6274057).

tbyers11
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Matt Painter is staying (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/28153973) at Purdue

tommy
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Brooks (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/) is reporting that Wyoming is likely to hire Larry Shyatt as its next coach. Larry Shyatt? Really? He previously coached there for one year -- albeit a successful one -- before bolting for Clemson, where he was decidedly mediocre. Under .500 for his career there, and never got another head job. Wyoming wants him back now. Why?

Klemnop
03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Brooks (http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/) is reporting that Wyoming is likely to hire Larry Shyatt as its next coach. Larry Shyatt? Really? He previously coached there for one year -- albeit a successful one -- before bolting for Clemson, where he was decidedly mediocre. Under .500 for his career there, and never got another head job. Wyoming wants him back now. Why?

The Wyoming coaching search has been on-going for more than 8 weeks. Apparently there's not quite as much interest in that job as, say, the Missouri job. Coach Shyatt has been there and done the job...so it has to be worth something to the administration for him to step up and say, "I'll do it."

Shyatt departed Rick Barnes' staff at Clemson the season before Barnes bolted Clemson for Texas. Upon Barnes' leaving it was widely reported that many of the Clemson players had grown tired of Barnes' abrasive style and had considered leaving the program had Barnes not departed first. Coach Shyatt had been their friend and mentor prior to his departure - Good Cop to Barnes' Bad Cop. As you may recall, this was a pretty good group of basketball players...mostly Seniors: Terrell McIntyre, Harold Jamison, Tom Wideman, Tony Christie, Andrius Jurkunas. These players openly lobbied for Coach Shyatt to get the job.

Shyatt claims he had a verbal agreement with Wyoming that his buyout was void ONLY if he was offered a job by Clemson, a place he and his family had come to love. Clemson offered him the job - he bolted Wyoming - and Wyoming (likely not out of malice) pursued its buyout from Coach Shyatt ($286,000.) Coach Shyatt learned that a verbal contract doesn't mean much...and paid the buyout himself (Clemson has a stated policy to NOT pay buy-outs for coaches coming in.)

To the fine list of players mentioned above, Clemson added one notable recruit for 1998-99: Will Solomon.

Who knows what went wrong, but somewhere between having been to three consecutive NCAATs and adding a future pro to a deep and experienced roster - Clemson thudded in Shyatt's first season. The team missed the NCAAs (though went on to finish a runner-up by a last second shot in the NIT) and the program never got its footing under Shyatt. Solomon went on to dominate the team - to the detriment of the team while Shyatt couldn't close the deal on a couple of high-profile recruits (Donnell Harvey is the main one that comes to mind.)

After five years Shyatt was ejected from the program being known as one of the nicest guys to have ever coached at the school...and one of the worst coaches. He joins Les Robinson in any number of ways in that regard, including having the annual 8-9 play-in game in the ACC Tournament renamed for him.

It should be noted that it was a different ACC back then. Duke has always been Duke. UNC was going through the Doherty Years...but all except one of those were very good teams. This was also the heyday of Sweaty and the emergence of Skip Prosser at Wake. And before the conference blueblood was thinned out by adding BC, Miami and VaTech.

It is interesting to wonder if Shyatt might have had success equivalent to Oliver Purnell had Shyatt coached the team during the same time. Or if Purnell could have achieved the same success had he coached in the far more competitive times that Shyatt did. Doesn't matter - Shyatt played the hand he was dealt...and played it badly.

He latched on with Billy Donovan at Florida and has been, by all accounts, an incredibly good assistant coach.

So, Larry Shyatt goes back to Wyoming at 60 years old. He gets what few people in this world ever get: a second chance. Perhaps the Wild West, with far less attention and much lower expectations, is the perfect place for a guy like Larry Shyatt to repair his credentials. He's a good guy. A really good guy. I hope he finds success.

But I will neve forgive him for killing Clemson basketball.

Klem

OldPhiKap
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
After five years Shyatt was ejected from the program being known as one of the nicest guys to have ever coached at the school

Excellent overview, Klem, thanks. I'd like to restate the quote above, because in this day and age it should count for something.

Actually, when I think of Clemson coaches over the last 30 years, Barnes was the only one I didn't really like. I thought O. Purnell would have gotten more done after his great run at Dayton.

dukeblue4ever
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Nobody has really commented on Tennessee's hiring of Cuonzo Martin (pronounced Conzo) from Missouri State, so I'll start it off.

This guy, as a head coach, has a 61-41 record in three years, including a 26-28 conference record in the MVC. He seems to be somewhat of a winner, winning the CBI last year (losing in the second round of the NIT this year); however, people in Knoxville aren't very optimistic. I'm going to support him as much as I can, but I know of many season ticket holders who aren't going to go to any games.

I think he has a little bit of potential, having assistant coached for eight years at Purdue with some success.

House G
03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Michael White, son of Duke athletic director Kevin White, is tabbed as new head coach at Louisiana Tech:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14879112/louisiana-tech-introduces-former-ole-miss-assistant-white

tommy
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
It says here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6281370) that Oklahoma is negotiating with Lon Kruger to leave UNLV for Oklahoma. That seems like it would be a very good hire for Oklahoma and a good move for Kruger as well back to a major conference job where people have won before.

burnspbesq
04-01-2011, 06:58 PM
It would be ironic indeed if one of our guys ended up as the new head coach at UNLV.

brevity
04-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Lon is gone (http://www.lvrj.com/sports/lon-gone-kruger-accepts-oklahoma-offer-119076989.html).

The money's right, but I'm not convinced that Oklahoma is a more appealing hoops destination for recruits than UNLV. Not all major conference programs are created equal. The Big 12-2 gets another name coach, though.

Here in Vegas Lon Kruger had the blessing of the university and Jerry Tarkanian, but his success level had come close to reaching a ceiling. His successor will inherit a team that should be a favorite or co-favorite in the Mountain West next season.

Aside from some lingering contempt for Duke, which is understandable, there isn't much about UNLV that resembles the juggernaut of its Big West days. It's a respectable mid-major program with realistic Sweet 16 aspirations. A Duke assistant could be a good hire, but he won't be greeted with much warmth, especially with Reggie Theus and other Rebel-connected coaching prospects out there.

shoutingncu
04-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Archie Miller to Dayton (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/28237430). I'd assume that probably ends the Wolfpack's pipe dream of luring Sean away.

Newton_14
04-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Archie Miller to Dayton (http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/28237430). I'd assume that probably ends the Wolfpack's pipe dream of luring Sean away.

Not sure it would factor at all in Sean's decision. Both were assistant's at State. Also, Sean Miller to State is in no way a pipe dream. Had State's former AD not been terrible, Sean Miller would be State's coach right now.

Given Sean's success at Arizona, and the fact he has only been there 2 years, it makes luring him away now, difficult, but certainly not impossible. There are other, non-basketball factors at play here as well.

Bluedog
04-04-2011, 12:49 AM
Frank Haith to Mizzou. Frankly, doesn't sound like a very good hire for Missouri. Haith was likely going to be on the hot seat at Miami next season anyways so makes sense for him to try somewhere new. Some think Miami is going to go after Frank Martin. The ACC really has had a lot of turnover the past few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines ("http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines)

loran16
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Frank Haith to Mizzou. Frankly, doesn't sound like a very good hire for Missouri. Haith was likely going to be on the hot seat at Miami next season anyways so makes sense for him to try somewhere new. Some think Miami is going to go after Frank Martin. The ACC really has had a lot of turnover the past few years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines ("http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358&campaign=rss&source=ESPNUHeadlines)

Wow that's so odd. He's such a step down from Painter, it's not even funny.

Of note, I don't think Haith was really far on the hot seat: it's not only a football school, but they should make the tourney next year with some fairly good players. Just odd.

devildeac
04-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Klem

Well, there is one huge similarity/parallel between Purdue and C-L-E-M-S-O-(paws, err, pause, pause, pause)N in that neither of them has won a game in chappaheeya for >50 years (well, I didn't really check about Purdue:o).:D

Reddevil
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/276296-unlv-gig-bob-knight-reggie-theus-interested?eref=sihp

This would not affect Coach K getting the record at this point, but it is interesting.

DU82
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Sydney Johnson from Princeton to Fairfield? Wow. Bet nobody saw that one coming. I have to think something elsemis going on, for a Princeton alum to move from there to what is certainly a lesser program/league. Maybe the pressure from Harvard's getting to the other Ivy Leaguers, and they're clearing out before the dynasty takes full effect!

tommy
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
I hate to say it, cuz I grew up there and rooted for the Canes (football - there was no hoops at the time), but Miami is a mess.

Within the last several months, the AD fired the football coach. Then the AD resigned to go to Texas Tech. Now the interim/acting AD has the basketball coach leave, meaning who exactly is going to lead this "nationwide search" that the school's administration has promised is about to ensue? And what coach would want to step into this morass?

Miami basketball has a lot of problems, including it not being in a "college town" and it being located in a city that doesn't care much about basketball and when it does care, it has LeBron James and Dwyane Wade to entertain them. Sure, it's an ACC job, and it is a fertile recruiting area, and it's a fun place to live -- a lot better than Manhattan, Kansas, I reckon -- but still. An established coach should think hard on this job before accepting it.