PDA

View Full Version : Greensboro Logistics

Dukefan03
03-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Anyone have any tips for where to go in Greensboro during downtime between games? Also, anyone have any experience with parking at the Coliseum? Can you leave your car in the lot in between sessions? Hoping for a big Duke turnout!

Rudy
03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Anyone have any tips for where to go in Greensboro during downtime between games? Also, anyone have any experience with parking at the Coliseum? Can you leave your car in the lot in between sessions? Hoping for a big Duke turnout!
You can leave your car in the lot between sessions. I don't know about overnight, but probably yes since there are several RV's parked there every year for people avoiding hotel bills. But there's a charge for each entry, so car pool to go to a restaurant if you get tired of the arena food (better than average, but still). Parking is adequate but as with any large crowd, the earlier you get there the shorter your walk will be.

In four visits there for the ACC tourney, I have not found a good eatery within walking distance. Good restaurants are not far, though, within 5 miles. I might try leaving my car in the lot and finding a cab. If anyone has tried that I would appreciate a report on it's feasibility. Consider bringing food and tailgaiting for at least one of the days. Saturday and Sunday are considerably more crowded and if it's a Duke/UNC rematch on Sunday, the place will be rocking.

I saw in an interview at the women's tournament that they've built a hall of honor for ACC sports attached to the arena. That should be good for some exploring between session time. Also, there's a fan fest indoor warehouse nearby which is good for some diversions such as a small court with a regulation basket for three point tries (usually accompanied with a long line to try) and other games. There's not a lot of time between sessions on Thursday and Friday, though, and I figure it will be taken up driving out to a restaurant, eating and finding a parking spot again.

The Greensboro Coliseum is a great basketball venue and this tournament is fun, with knowledgeable and mostly courteous fans (except of course for Maryland's). Every other fan base will cheer against Duke even if their own team isn't playing and considering the odds with the # of Carolina schools it's not surprising. It's friendlier to shooters than the football stadiums so I'm hoping our cold shooters will find a cure.

Saturday evening will be more leisurely, but I'm a old f*** so I'm not the guy to ask about clubs.

roywhite
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Stamey's barbecue right across the street from the Coliseum!

Stameys (http://www.stameys.com/)

Unless you just don't like NC barbecue, etc.

Huh?
03-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Stamey's for sure.
Order one of everything.

jv001
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM

Some of the best bbq in NC. Worth dodging the traffic. GoDuke!

hurleyfor3
03-07-2011, 12:56 PM
The best* food options between sessions will be down High Pont Road towards I-40. Mostly chains (Chili's and such), but it's food, and they'll probably have some other games on. You have plenty of time to walk there and back between sessions.

I've always parked for free on the street in the sketchy neighborhood to the east of the coliseum, on the other side of Chapman Street. I don't think it's unsafe, actually; I just call it that. Lots of people park there, although it's probably best if you have a rental vehicle without a lot of possessions in it. I have left my car there all day without a problem.

Try to stay to the west of town, rather than the east or south. Much easier getting in and out. My suggested approach from the west is Wendover Ave, then right on Spring Garden Street, then right on Chapman, under a railroad bridge and bam you're there, no traffic. Also, consider reserving a room only through Friday night; lots of stuff opens up after that.

*Edit: I mean in terms of options and convenience, not necessarily in a gastronomical sense.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM

The menu is relatively simple.

In addition to fine BBQ and Brunswick stew, the cobbler of the day will delight the taste buds. Milkshakes are thick and extra creamy. Go with the mainline flavors.

DevilWearsPrada
03-07-2011, 01:54 PM
You can always, pack a lunch/dinner and perhaps even bring a small grill with propane tank. Several people have. The RVs park at the back of the parking lot.

I took a cooler, and had sub sandwiches in the car, with chips, and snacks. And of course mixers for Adult beverages. That way, we didnt leave the parking lot. I enjoy going to the Fanfest, which is open 2 hours before the tip off of each session, thursday, fri sat and sun.

Parking for Girls was $8. I would think parking for the mens ACC will be at least $10 a day. If you leave, the coliseum parking, and come back, you will pay another parking fee that day.

hurleyfor3
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Parking for Girls was $8. I would think parking for the mens ACC will be at least $10 a day. If you leave, the coliseum parking, and come back, you will pay another parking fee that day.

It was $10 back in 2004, the one time I've used the official lot. I think it's up to $15 or $20 now. For the Friday games back then I received a ticket that let me leave and return for the night games without paying another charge (this was also done when the tournament was in the Charlotte Coliseum). Maybe you have to ask for it and/or they don't do it nowadays. As of last year you can definitely leave your car in the lot between sessions. Oh, and I know people who have found hiding places in the arena (wasn't GSO) between sessions on Friday. :)

Philsfan
03-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I ate here last year (at the recommendation of some friends who work at the Greensboro paper) in between Friday sessions. It's roughly a 10-15 min. walk from the Coliseum (map's on the site). Excellent food and beer. It wasn't crowded either.

www.firstcarolinadeli.com/

For parking last year, I used the main lot ($20) Friday, but found a business on one of the side streets right next to the Coliseum and parked for $10 on Saturday and Sunday.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Check out
http://sticksandstonesclayoven.com/
Nice selection of beer and the pizza is out of this world.
It is down on walker ave, not walking distance but a short ride. It has a great atmosphere. Parking is crazy there and they will tow.

weezie
03-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Not for between games but definitely Sat night, Underground Restaurant in downtown Gboro. Good, grown-up food and always a spirited but friendly crowd full of rivals.

Dr. Tina
03-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Man, this is making me wish I could go! :(

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Man, this is making me wish I could go! :(
Yeah, and we weren't digging our cars out of snow banks this morning, either!

weezie
03-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Not for between games but definitely Sat night, Underground Restaurant in downtown Gboro. Good, grown-up food and always a spirited but friendly crowd full of rivals.

Whoops, I meant the Undercurrent Restaurant.

mrscarlett
03-08-2011, 08:05 AM
find an East Coast Wings

order lava

have your friends try the insanity wing

/laughter on

aro24
03-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I have been beaten to the recommendation for Stamey's Bar-B-Q.....1 word....Awesome!

Just a heads up on the parking situation......I have been to several events at the coliseum this year, with the Duke/UNCG game being the worst.....they are in the process of building an aquatics center on the grounds and that center and construction zone has taken probably 1000 parking spaces......add in the fact that they have a section of the parking lot designated for RV's and that removes even more spaces.....I have been extremely disappointed in how the coliseum has handled parking in the recent past.
I actually missed the whole first half of the Duke/UNCG game as the lot was completely full.
So, just my friendly "heads up"....get there early if you don't want to have to park on the road or have to park at UNCG and catch a bus to the coliseum.

ARo24

devildeac
03-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Check out
It is down on walker ave, not walking distance but a short ride. It has a great atmosphere. Parking is crazy there and they will tow.

CB&B and killerleft sipped and supped there recently and spoke of good food and really good brews.

killerleft
03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
CB&B and killerleft sipped and supped there recently and spoke of good food and really good brews.

CB&B and my sister had the better pizza, though. My salad was awesome, but I don't remember the name of it - the dishes there have offbeat names.

Stamey's has good Q, but my favorite barbecue restaurant in Greensboro is Country Barbeque. Take Patterson away from the Coliseum, which ends going west on I-40. Take a right on Wendover (the next exit), it's a half-mile or so on the left.

aro24
03-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Just thought of this place.....it looks like a dive there on High Point Road, but I have always enjoyed the pizza & beer here. IIRC it is withing walking distance of the coliseum.

ARO24

Turtleboy
03-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Check out
Catty corner to Sticks and Stones is Fishbones (http://www.google.com/search?q=fishbones+greensboro&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a). I recommend it highly.

gborodevil
03-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Long time reader, first time poster.

I did not see a lot of options provided by the other posters, so I thought I might help you all out.

Let's start with downtown.

Upscale
Table 16 - $$$$ - This is a personal favorite, I make sure my parent take me here for my birthday
Undercurrent - $$$ - good food
Liberty Oak - $$$ - consistently good fare, however you can get some sandwiches that are excellent and less expensive
Zen Sushi Bar (but if I were going to eat sushi I would go to Sushi Republic)

Barfood and good bars
Stumbestilskins
Natty Greene's - Brew their own beer
Grey's Tavern
Hemingway's
Mellow Mushroom
Fincastles

These places can all be reached by taking Lee St. east and then left on Elm. I will be glad to give directions, but it will probably be easier to go here: http://www.downtowngreensboro.org/citylight/dining.

Walker St. bars and restaurants:
Previously mentioned Stix and Stones - excellent pizza
Lindley Park Filling Station
Fish Bones
New restaurant - Emma's (same people that own Fincastles/both burger joints and close by)

These restaurants are a little closer than downtown. From the coliseum take Chapman north and then a left on Walker. You should run right into the establishments

Turtleboy
03-08-2011, 12:07 PM
These restaurants are a little closer than downtown. From the coliseum take Chapman north and then a left on Walker. You should run right into the establishmentsYou might want to stop a few feet short.

cbnaylor
03-08-2011, 12:19 PM
I know it's a little bit of a walk but you can park on Walker Ave. on both sides of the street for free. Max time to get there would be about 8-10 mins. To justified the time, think how long you would be sitting in traffic!