PDA

View Full Version : ACC Coach of the Year

JBDuke
03-07-2011, 07:51 AM
In this article (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=38967), DBR speculates on candidates for ACC Coach of the Year, but I think they missed a strong candidate.

Tony Bennett, in just his second year, started with a team predicted to finish ahead only of Wake Forest. Then, after just 10 games, they lost their best player and only reliable post presence in Mike Scott, robbing the team of his 16 point and 10 boards per game. At this point, right at the beginning of the ACC season, things were looking grim for Hoos fans. But Bennett pulled a rabbit out of his hat, found a decent post presence (at least on D) in Assane Sene, a player who no one could have called reliable in his play prior to this year, and coached the Cavs into a tie for the #7 spot in the ACC with a 7-9 record in conference and a 16-14 overall card. Even if they fall in their first ACC Tourney game, they'll still have a winning record and a shot at an NIT bid.

I think that's a pretty remarkable job by Coach Bennett.

superdave
03-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I think Roy probably gets it for the in-season turn-around, even though they were projected to be a top 10 team and most of the chemistry issues were allowed to snowball by Roy himself. If Duke had won on Saturday, Coach K would have a really strong case. I also think Brownell at Clemson and Donahue at BC deserve to be in the conversation. I'd bet on Roy though.

Class of '94
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I think Roy probably gets it for the in-season turn-around, even though they were projected to be a top 10 team and most of the chemistry issues were allowed to snowball by Roy himself. If Duke had won on Saturday, Coach K would have a really strong case. I also think Brownell at Clemson and Donahue at BC deserve to be in the conversation. I'd bet on Roy though.

It hurts to say this; but I think Roy deserves it based on the challenges UNC has experienced this season.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Ol' Roy wins it running away. They beat us for the ACC regular season championship, dagnabit. That wasn't supposed to happen.

DevilWearsPrada
03-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I will Vote for Tony Bennett being the Best Looking Coach in the ACC!!!

killerleft
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
How to win the ACC Coach of the Year Award, by Roy Williams.

1) Coach so badly the previous year that your team underachieves.
2) Coach so badly this year that your team underachieves.
3) The cancerous non-producing point guard quits after you finally bench him a couple months too late.
4) Team finally realizes how to play on its own.
5) Dagummit, ol' Roy can coach (If I, Roy Williams, must say so myself).
6) Carolina-grad media agrees with #5.

The End

DevilWearsPrada
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
How to win the ACC Coach of the Year Award, by Roy Williams.

1) Coach so badly the previous year that your team underachieves.
2) Coach so badly this year that your team underachieves.
3) The cancerous non-producing point guard quits after you finally bench him a couple months too late.
4) Team finally realizes how to play on its own.
5) Dagummit, ol' Roy can coach (If I, Roy Williams, must say so myself).
6) Carolina-grad media agrees with #5.

The End

A good reason, to turn the volume to mute when Tarholes play!! When Duke plays away, I have on Duke Radio! Announcers, are so biased.

I think the Tarhole boys, just figured it out! Ole Roy didnt last year, and didnt this year, and DREW left... his team figured it out on their own!

But I am so sure, Roy, dadgumit, will get some hardware and accolades for the success. HATE IT!

TONY BENNETT IS STILL THE BEST LOOKING COACH IN THE ACC!!!

G man
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
I hate saying this because Roy is a tool, but you cannot argue the job he has done after dropping a little dead weight. I thought the injuries and transfers would finish them off, but they keep getting better.

hurleyfor3
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure Roy "deserves" it, but he'll win it. The ACC this year is like the Big VIII/XII when he was there, real easy to rack up lots of wins if you're decently talented and consistent.

ns7
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I think that's a pretty remarkable job by Coach Bennett.

Bennett did an awesome job this year--if he had NC State's roster he'd have a top 25 team. I think Mike Scott has or will get a redshirt, making UVA a team to watch next season.

Unfortunately though, Roy Williams will probably win it for taking a top 10 preseason team and finishing in or close to the top 10.

SushiChef
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM

What did Roy do that was so great? If you look at UNC's performance, it is strongly correlated with the amount of playing time Kendall Marshall has received. Marshall didn't start playing big minutes until Larry Drew II left. If Roy is such a great coach, wouldn't he have recognized his talent early on and given Marshall more PT from the beginning? If he had done that they'd be contending for a #1 seed most likely.

superdave
03-07-2011, 01:30 PM
What did Roy do that was so great? If you look at UNC's performance, it is strongly correlated with the amount of playing time Kendall Marshall has received. Marshall didn't start playing big minutes until Larry Drew II left. If Roy is such a great coach, wouldn't he have recognized his talent early on and given Marshall more PT from the beginning? If he had done that they'd be contending for a #1 seed most likely.

After the stories I heard about how Roy handled Drew and his parents for 20 games this year, I would not vote Roy for COY. He took the #8 pre-season team, drove them into the ground, then got lucky when Drew quit. The mess is his making and he looked clueless at time. But I do think he'll win it after 14-2.

sagegrouse
03-07-2011, 01:38 PM
After the stories I heard about how Roy handled Drew and his parents for 20 games this year, I would not vote Roy for COY. He took the #8 pre-season team, drove them into the ground, then got lucky when Drew quit. The mess is his making and he looked clueless at time. But I do think he'll win it after 14-2.

As Feather's article of a few weeks ago makes clear, COY in the ACC is a huge joke. I mean Seth Greenberg won twice in the last 5-6 years? Gimme a break! It typically goes to a coach who exceeds expectations, even if the bar of expectations was lowered by self-inflicted actions (as in the case of Roy) or because the coach just can't recruit good players (Gary?). Isn't recruiting part of coaching?

At the same time, if it is an absolute standard of performance, the results may get kinda boring. I wouldn't waste any gray matter or lose any sleep on the issue.

But I agree with you that I would not vote for Roy this year.

sagegrouse

sandinmyshoes
03-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm glad someone else has mentioned Bennett. He and Donahue would be my first two choices.

After that, I'm going to give Roy Williams a slight edge over Coach K. Williams' team slightly exceeded preseason predictions, finishing first instead of second. And that was before he lost his starting PG who was also a fine defender. I'm giving him a pass on how long it took to get KM into the starting slot. If you look back over the season, KM looked good, then hit a bit of a rough patch, then came around in a big way. And, Williams had replaced Drew in the starting lineup before the kid quit the team.

Coach K, might well deserve the award too. To lose a player of Kyrie's caliber and finish within a whisker of first place is testament to Coach's skill and leadership qualities. But, he did essentially replace Kyrie by moving a solid NPOY candidate over into his slot. The drop off was more from Nolan to Curry or Dawkins. And Curry was solid and a dangerous shooter at the shooting guard position.

But I think this has been a good season for COY candidates. I usually favor less talented teams that are better than predicted, so I'd favor Bennett or Donahue, if I actually got to vote.