PDA

View Full Version : The Bear

DrChainsaw
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
There is chatter on more than one thread that the bear needs to go, to be replaced with something more optimistic (not op-toe-mistic; that is another, well-intentioned, but misguided thread).

I would argue otherwise - I like the bear and it acknowledges the need to grieve. BS, you may say? I would point out that we are now exactly 24 hours post the START of the Duke-TarHole game and there are already 17 pages to the post-game thread.

We have until Friday evening to get through all these annoying stages of loss, and to me the bear is the first step on the road to recovery.

I'm already at Acceptance - when you're 28 years post-graduation, the healing process is a little quicker.

rthomas
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
like.

BlueDGal
03-06-2011, 08:31 PM
standing up for the bear!! The bear helps me too....my Duke grad hubby (over 40 years a duke fan) is having a really hard time.....maybe he just needs to look at the bear to get him started on the road to recovery. He didn't even read the DBR today....and that's a first.

CajunDevil
03-06-2011, 08:39 PM
I just can't stop wondering why there is no base molding or shoe molding on the adjoining wall? Looks staged to me. I mean, when is the last time you actually saw a rainstorm in corner of your house anyway :)

CajunDevil

Dr. Tina
03-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I just can't stop wondering why there is no base molding or shoe molding on the adjoining wall? Looks staged to me. I mean, when is the last time you actually saw a rainstorm in corner of your house anyway :)

CajunDevil

That, or someone has a very artistic 5 year old.... :p

muzikfrk75
03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
The bear? I'm lost.

SFDukie
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
The bear actually makes me feel a little better after a loss. It is not too depressing and it expresses the post-loss mood very well. I say keep it!

cspan37421
03-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Obviously we are guests of the site owner, but I think a poll on the "raining-on-your-teddy-bear-in-the-corner picture after a loss" would be quite interesting. I'm in the "cute once, but long-due for retirement" camp, for those who missed my posts in other threads. Well, "missed" is probably an overstatement.

DukeDevilDeb
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Obviously we are guests of the site owner, but I think a poll on the "raining-on-your-teddy-bear-in-the-corner picture after a loss" would be quite interesting. I'm in the "cute once, but long-due for retirement" camp, for those who missed my posts in other threads. Well, "missed" is probably an overstatement.

It is (was) cute the first several times I saw it, but I'd like our Duke guys and fans to be really angry after a loss and not like teddy bears moping in the corner.

Could we maybe have a picture of a Duke player (or the Devil) jumping up and down on a ram? ;)

WiJoe
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Could we maybe have a picture of a Duke player (or the Devil) jumping up and down on a ram? ;)

:cool:

Kong would NEVER approve. I would, so that makes it 1-1. Let the vote continue!

SFDukie
03-06-2011, 10:56 PM
It is (was) cute the first several times I saw it, but I'd like our Duke guys and fans to be really angry after a loss and not like teddy bears moping in the corner.

I think that what would make us no better than a Maryland or UNC fan. We got outplayed on Saturday and it doesn't do any good to take our rage out on the opponent. Our team needs to dig down and play better. I like the bear.

theAlaskanBear
03-06-2011, 11:10 PM
I for one stand up for the rights of ALL my fellows bears, regardless of color, creed, or MOOD; be it joyous, melancholy, or other. We will not go quietly into the night, whether on the Duke Basketball Report, the Wilderness, or Jellystone Park!

Ursus unitas!

killerleft
03-07-2011, 10:26 AM
"And they just don't come no better than a bear." - Lyle Lovett

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/l/lyle+lovett/bears_20085997.html

I'm with Lyle. The bear is good.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-07-2011, 10:52 AM
My objection was not to the bear himself (though I do find he adds to my depression) but, to the fact that the page was still moping around and hanging crepe when we should have been celebrating the women's terrific accomplishment of the day!
Love, Ima

Dr. Tina
03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
My objection was not to the bear himself (though I do find he adds to my depression) but, to the fact that the page was still moping around and hanging crepe when we should have been celebrating the women's terrific accomplishment of the day!
Love, Ima

I agree with Ima on this one! Our Duke ladies just kicked some Tarhole butt in the ACC Championship and were getting no love. They should be featured...

DevilWearsPrada
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I agree with Ima on this one! Our Duke ladies just kicked some Tarhole butt in the ACC Championship and were getting no love. They should be featured...

As soon as I signed on to DBR yesterday, I clicked off that homepage, the rain and bear, made me feel worse!

Why wasnt there a picture of our GIRLS (who were playing for the ACC championship over the Tarholes, instead)?

I felt depressed getting up, but quickly pushed that aside. I was getting dressed in my Dure apparel and driving to GBoro in the rain, the entire way for an hour, to see Our Ladies win again! I listened to good music while driving, and then Duke radio.

THE BEAR with the rain, needs to go! Lets be more OpTOEmistic!

GO DUKE!

Congrats to our Ladies again, on Season Champs and 2011 ACC Champs!! And for beating the Lady Tarholes!