PDA

View Full Version : Roy did something right

Devilsfan
03-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't like carolina, but something Roy did I have to give him credit for. Roy showed me unexpected class on Saturday night. He started his seniors on senior night. The seniors have given everything for four years where four year players are becoming rarer and rarer. They deserve to start even if only for one minute. I find it extremely hard to say but hats off to Roy on this account.

Oriole Way
03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't like carolina, but something Roy did I have to give him credit for. Roy showed me unexpected class on Saturday night. He started his seniors on senior night. The seniors have given everything for four years where four year players are becoming rarer and rarer. They deserve to start even if only for one minute. I find it extremely hard to say but hats off to Roy on this account.

Pretty sure this is a longstanding Carolina tradition. Not something unique to Roy, so I'm not really sure he deserves credit for doing something that has been done for a long time.

devildeac
03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Pretty sure this is a longstanding Carolina tradition. Not something unique to Roy, so I'm not really sure he deserves credit for doing something that has been done for a long time.

He was also quoted in the Raleigh news and (unc) observer that he was undecided on Friday what he was going to do, so he appeared to give some thought to breaking tradition. We failed to take advantage of this. Yea, ~90 seconds isn't much, but we got down early with 3 of their non-starters on the floor.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
He let Kelly shoot

cbarry
03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah, it was pretty sad that we got outscored by UNC in the first 2 minutes, when they had 3 WALK-ONS out there. Those guys actually outplayed (and outhustled) our starters. I knew it would be a long night for us at that point. Onward....

Heal, toe, heal!! Kyrie's toe will determine if we make a deep run in the NCAAs. No chance at all for Final 4 without Kyrie. Even a 50% healthy Kyrie is better than 99% of any other player in the NCAA! I know we have to look out for his long term health and all, but I'm still hoping for his return.

Wander
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
We failed to take advantage of this.

I know it's a tiny - almost irrelevant - piece, but it's completely unbelievable we didn't even try to get any post offense in those first couple minutes. Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, and Kyle Singler vs. the backup forward and two 6-4 walk-ons...

cbarry
03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
He let Kelly shoot
I wish Kelly had realized he was off last night, and stopped shooting after the first several shots he missed while wide open! I kept yelling "don't shoot" at the TV after his first 3 misses. I hope he (and the rest of Duke) practices 3-pointers this week (and defense, rebounding, etc...). It was sad that except for Curry, Duke was 0% from 3-point range.

dukebballcamper90-91
03-06-2011, 02:15 PM
They let him keep shooting. I wish we would have let Marshall and Strickland beat us with jump shoots because they are terrible shooters. Whoever was guarding Marshall played too tight and caused somebody to help and they got a lot of easy baskets.

Yes I know more than all the coaches.

Devilsfan
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Someone on his staff looked at the matchups and convinced Roy to let Ryan beat them. It was a great opportunity for our Sophomore. He just did not take advantage of it in our biggest game. Hope he learns from the experience.

msdukie
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Actually, all 4 were first-year players for Carolina. The three walk-ons played 3 years on the JV team and Justin Knox transferred as a grad student from Alabama.

gus
03-06-2011, 04:32 PM
I wish Kelly had realized he was off last night, and stopped shooting after the first several shots he missed while wide open! I kept yelling "don't shoot" at the TV after his first 3 misses. .

If he had decided to pass on open threes, he would have been benched, and rightfully so.

Even JJ misses wide open threes. That doesn't mean he stops shooting them.

Devilsfan
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Just watched tOSU and Deibler has been shooting at some unbelievable percentage from the three. All we ask is that if a big wants to shoot threes in a big game shoot 33% or better especially when we have unbelievable shooters not 6'11" tall on our squad as well.

oldnavy
03-06-2011, 06:33 PM
If he had decided to pass on open threes, he would have been benched, and rightfully so.

Thank you!! You have to give the kids room to grow and learn. Failure is part of the process. Kelly can shoot, he has shown that. Remember he made 18 shots in a row earlier this year. Now if he is told not to shoot, what do you think that would do to his psyche? ALL of our "shooters" have to shoot the open shots, it is part of our fiber. Sometimes we have games when they drop and sometimes we have games when they don't. Should we tell Nolan not to shot his open threes since he went O'fer last night? Kyle?

uh_no
03-06-2011, 06:34 PM

The thing roy did right was turn this team around. People were VERY hard on roy last year (around here anyway), and what he's done with this team this year is nothing short of extraordinary. Yeah people here will say K would have done this bla bla bla, but you can't deny that he took a team that was headed to the dumps and finally got them going....going enough to dethrone the preseason #1 as the ACC regular season champs.

cspan37421
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I wish Kelly had realized he was off last night, and stopped shooting after the first several shots he missed while wide open! I kept yelling "don't shoot" at the TV after his first 3 misses. I hope he (and the rest of Duke) practices 3-pointers this week (and defense, rebounding, etc...). It was sad that except for Curry, Duke was 0% from 3-point range.

Yes, practice is always helpful ... but I have a question for those who actually played the game: did you ever find that shooting in a different gym could be more challenging than your home gym? Maybe it's only significant at a fairly high level, but the background of what you're shooting into varies a lot from arena to arena. It may affect your judgment of distance - and it would not take much of an effect to cause you to miss. So it seems to me practicing in the arena you're going to play in that next game is very important, to get used to it. I could be all wrong, but it sure seems like it would affect me.

oldnavy
03-06-2011, 06:40 PM
The thing roy did right was turn this team around. People were VERY hard on roy last year (around here anyway), and what he's done with this team this year is nothing short of extraordinary. Yeah people here will say K would have done this bla bla bla, but you can't deny that he took a team that was headed to the dumps and finally got them going....going enough to dethrone the preseason #1 as the ACC regular season champs.

I am certainly included in the "people" that were VERY hard on Roy last year, and I do not apologize for that. He stunk.

BUT, you make a very good point, Roy has done a much, MUCH better job this year, and he hasn't made a fool out of himself by saying stupid things in the press. He deserves credit for that. He will never be my favorite coach, but hey give the man his due, he has the team playing better than I thought they could. He seems much calmer and in control than last year.

I don't give him a whole lot of credit for starting the seniors, I think it would have been much more of an issue for him NOT to have started them and break tradition.... so I do not give him courage points for that...

richardjackson199
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I am certainly included in the "people" that were VERY hard on Roy last year, and I do not apologize for that. He stunk.

BUT, you make a very good point, Roy has done a much, MUCH better job this year, and he hasn't made a fool out of himself by saying stupid things in the press. He deserves credit for that. He will never be my favorite coach, but hey give the man his due, he has the team playing better than I thought they could. He seems much calmer and in control than last year.

I don't give him a whole lot of credit for starting the seniors, I think it would have been much more of an issue for him NOT to have started them and break tradition.... so I do not give him courage points for that...

I'll give Roy credit for starting the seniors. It was a huge game and a very classy move.

TampaDuke
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM

I get your point, but I'm not sure that comparing Ryan's 3-pt shooting to JJ's is the best way to make it.

sporthenry
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
I will give Roy some credit for turning this around but how often did Duke fans have to hear about how many McD AA's Duke has and they still lost. Well UNC has gotten 10 AA's since 2008. Of course 4 of them are not currently on the team between Davis leaving and Drew/Wears transferring, but that still lands him 6 AA's and a preseason AA as a freshman.
So certainly he gets some credit but it should also speak to how much this team underacheived.