PDA

View Full Version : 2011 ACC Tournament – Quarter Finals – March 11, 2011

rthomas
03-05-2011, 10:37 PM
The silver lining is that we play at 7 instead of noon when I have to work. Are the seeds now set for the ACCT?

CLW
03-05-2011, 10:48 PM
The silver lining is that we play at 7 instead of noon when I have to work. Are the seeds now set for the ACCT?

No several ACC games are still scheduled for tomorrow.

Exiled_Devil
03-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Not sure, but there are 3 more ACC games tomorrow.

pfrduke
03-05-2011, 10:50 PM
The top 4 are - UNC 1, Duke 2, FSU 3, Clemson 4.

ajgoodfella7
03-05-2011, 10:53 PM

We can definitely narrow our quarterfinals round game to Maryland, Virginia, Miami or NC State.
From what I can gather, either Maryland or Virginia will be the #7 seed, and either NC State or Miami will be the #10 seed.

burns15
03-05-2011, 11:00 PM
We can definitely narrow our quarterfinals round game to Maryland, Virginia, Miami or NC State.
From what I can gather, either Maryland or Virginia will be the #7 seed, and either NC State or Miami will be the #10 seed.

Im pretty sure Maryland is the seven seed because they split with UVA, so the tiebreaker starts the top of the standings and goes down. They are both 0-1 vs. UNC and both 0-2 vs. Duke... then UVA is 0-1 vs. FSU and UMD is 1-0

ajgoodfella7
03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Im pretty sure Maryland is the seven seed because they split with UVA, so the tiebreaker starts the top of the standings and goes down. They are both 0-1 vs. UNC and both 0-2 vs. Duke... then UVA is 0-1 vs. FSU and UMD is 1-0

Yep, you are correct. So it will be either Maryland, Miami, or NC State in the quarters.

Spencer's Daddy
03-05-2011, 11:23 PM
If Miami beat GT tomorrow, they (Miami) will be tied with Maryland and UVA for 7th. I'll let somebody else figure out the tiebreaker, I'm just tellin' the facts.

ajgoodfella7
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
If Miami beat GT tomorrow, they (Miami) will be tied with Maryland and UVA for 7th. I'll let somebody else figure out the tiebreaker, I'm just tellin' the facts.

Looks like I spoke too soon again. 3-team tiebreakers are more complicated:

3. If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

b. If procedure (a) fails to break the tie, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage by a higher winning percentage.

c. If the tie is broken by (a) or (b) regarding one of more teams, but three or more teams remain tied, then procedures (a) and (b) will be reapplied among those tied teams only.

d. If two teams remain tied, procedures (1) and (2) will be followed.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022607aaa.html

gumbomoop
03-06-2011, 02:18 AM
So it will be either Maryland, Miami, or NC State in the quarters.

Even with the complicated tiebreakers, I think you are correct here. I think the following is accurate, but am willing to be corrected by others with better powers of concentration when wading through tiebreakers and season records.

1. The following are set: 1 UNC, 2 Duke, 3 FSU, 4 Clemson, 11 GaT, 12 Wake

Three games tomorrow. [Uh, today.]

2. Wake @ BC

2a. BC win [likely] = 5 BC, 6 VaT

2b. BC loss = 5 VaT, 6 BC

3. The other 2 games are Miami @ GT and FSU @ NCSt

3a. Miami win = 7 Miami, 8 Md, 9 UVa, 10 NCSt

3b. Miami loss + NCSt win = 7 Md 7, 8 UVa, 9 NCSt, 10 Miami

3c. Miami loss + NCSt loss - 7 Md, 8 UVa, 9 Miami, 10 NCSt

I assume most DBR folks are primarily interested in the potential "paths" to an ACCT final between Duke and UNC. I further assume UNC rooters are pretty confident right now, and "fear" none of the 8-9 possibles. OK, fair enough, so I'd prefer scenario 3c above, in which the Heels might face Miami on Friday. I'm guessing that, however confident, Heel fans would just as soon avoid Miami in favor of, say, UVa as their Friday opponent.

Sticking with UNC's side of the bracket, I'd like to see Clemson get by [likely opponent] BC on Fri, to set up an interesting semi with UNC on Sat.

Duke's side of the bracket appears - as befits our lower seed - tougher. I think Miami is the most dangerous of the possible Friday opponents, but either Md or NCSt, having each also lost twice to the Devils, would be revenge-minded, not to mention desperate.

Assuming a win on Fri, I'd welcome a revenge-chance against either FSU or VaT on Sat.

So a Duke-Clemson final would be an interesting surprise on Sunday. [I can, of course, imagine some unpleasant surprises.] But a Duke-UNC final would be very exciting.

Saratoga2
03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Even with the complicated tiebreakers, I think you are correct here. I think the following is accurate, but am willing to be corrected by others with better powers of concentration when wading through tiebreakers and season records.

1. The following are set: 1 UNC, 2 Duke, 3 FSU, 4 Clemson, 11 GaT, 12 Wake

Three games tomorrow. [Uh, today.]

2. Wake @ BC

2a. BC win [likely] = 5 BC, 6 VaT

2b. BC loss = 5 VaT, 6 BC

3. The other 2 games are Miami @ GT and FSU @ NCSt

3a. Miami win = 7 Miami, 8 Md, 9 UVa, 10 NCSt

3b. Miami loss + NCSt win = 7 Md 7, 8 UVa, 9 NCSt, 10 Miami

3c. Miami loss + NCSt loss - 7 Md, 8 UVa, 9 Miami, 10 NCSt

I assume most DBR folks are primarily interested in the potential "paths" to an ACCT final between Duke and UNC. I further assume UNC rooters are pretty confident right now, and "fear" none of the 8-9 possibles. OK, fair enough, so I'd prefer scenario 3c above, in which the Heels might face Miami on Friday. I'm guessing that, however confident, Heel fans would just as soon avoid Miami in favor of, say, UVa as their Friday opponent.

Sticking with UNC's side of the bracket, I'd like to see Clemson get by [likely opponent] BC on Fri, to set up an interesting semi with UNC on Sat.

Duke's side of the bracket appears - as befits our lower seed - tougher. I think Miami is the most dangerous of the possible Friday opponents, but either Md or NCSt, having each also lost twice to the Devils, would be revenge-minded, not to mention desperate.

Assuming a win on Fri, I'd welcome a revenge-chance against either FSU or VaT on Sat.

So a Duke-Clemson final would be an interesting surprise on Sunday. [I can, of course, imagine some unpleasant surprises.] But a Duke-UNC final would be very exciting.

The way we have been playing of late, we need to concentrate on winning each game along the way, and if we are fortunate enough to face UNC at the end, so be it. We also need to potentially play three games in a few days, so it is imperitive that we use as many players as possible. I definitely would include Tyler, Andre and Josh wherever we can. This is a chance for Tyler to show some offense, Andre to come out of his doldrums and Josh to show he can play defense at a high level. It would be great to come into the NCAA's as whole and fresh as possible.

PumpkinFunk
03-06-2011, 09:43 AM
To be totally honest, the worst-case scenario of teams we could play, from quarterfinals to finals, is:

Maryland (7 seed)
Virginia Tech (6 seed)
Carolina (duh)

The first 2 desperately need a win to make the tourney (in fact, Maryland needs to win the whole thing and knock off us and Carolina). I'd love to get to play VTech and beat them on a neutral court, but it's a rough game because they're barely in the tournament. And of course, Carolina... just not a repeat I want to see this season.

Olympic Fan
03-06-2011, 09:50 AM
The most scary thing for me in the way it sets up is the potential of opening Friday against either Miami -- a tough, balanced team that gave us solid tests in two games this season -- and Maryland -- a slumping team, but one that plays with no fear against Duke.

But after getting past that potential hurdle, I LOVE the ideas of facing either Virginia Tech or FSU in the semifinals. I most of all want another shot at the Hokies.

And I very much want to see North Carolina Sunday in the championship game. I've already heard from UNC fans who think that last night proves that they are a better team at this moment. I don't want the season to end without giving the Devils a chance to prove them wrong.

So, I'll be pulling for BC today against Wake (to put Va Tech in our bracket). The other games don't matter -- we'll get either Miami or Maryland at No. 7 no matter what.

gumbomoop
03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
The way we have been playing of late, we need to concentrate on winning each game along the way, and if we are fortunate enough to face UNC at the end, so be it.

Well said. To your point, then, the relevant portion of my post [#10] is 3 a-c, and the paragraph that begins, "Duke's side of the bracket..."

In the off-chance that some may be interested in the overall look of the ACCT and its "bracketology," I trust that there might be another point or two of interest elsewhere in my attempt to see how things might shake out, depending on results from today's final 3 regular season games.

gumbomoop
03-06-2011, 10:23 AM
The most scary thing for me in the way it sets up is the potential of opening Friday against either Miami -- a tough, balanced team that gave us solid tests in two games this season -- and Maryland -- a slumping team, but one that plays with no fear against Duke.

But after getting past that potential hurdle, I LOVE the ideas of facing either Virginia Tech or FSU in the semifinals. I most of all want another shot at the Hokies.

And I very much want to see North Carolina Sunday in the championship game. I've already heard from UNC fans who think that last night proves that they are a better team at this moment. I don't want the season to end without giving the Devils a chance to prove them wrong.

So, I'll be pulling for BC today against Wake (to put Va Tech in our bracket). The other games don't matter -- we'll get either Miami or Maryland at No. 7 no matter what.

I, too, would welcome the opportunity to play VaT on Sat [as that would mean a win on Friday!], and to play UNC on Sun [as that would mean a win on Saturday]. Now of course I'd prefer Duke get to play Wake 2 out of 3 on Fri-Sat-Sun, but that seems unlikely [......].

Given that our side of the bracket seems tougher than UNC's side, I don't quite agree with OF here that the "other games don't matter." I prefer bracketology option 3-c [in my post #10], which would mean UNC gets Miami, and Duke gets either Md or NCSt. I see Miami as marginally tougher than either Md or NCSt, but any of the 3 would be formidable.

As for Sat, given that, alas, Duke's opponent that day can't be Wake, I'd welcome another chance at either VaT or FSU, and might even prefer either of those to GaT, with its, uh, unnecessary roughness.

Sunday? Should Duke make it that far - likely but not certain - I, too, would love to see a great final v. the Heels. There would be some satisfaction should UNC falter before Sunday, and I do hope Clemson beats [likely] BC on Fri, for I think Clemson-UNC would be a good game on Sat.

Bob Green
03-06-2011, 10:32 AM

I agree we need to face North Carolina Sunday in order to clear up the whole who is the better team question. Due to the regular season split, things feel incomplete.

pfrduke
03-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, BC is taking care of business against Wake, so the following seeds are set:

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. FSU
4. Clemson
5. BC
6. Virginia Tech

11. Georgia Tech
12. Wake Forest

Olympic Fan
03-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Well, BC is taking care of business against Wake, so the following seeds are set:

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. FSU
4. Clemson
5. BC
6. Virginia Tech

11. Georgia Tech
12. Wake Forest

Well, it's final: BC 84-68 ... the same two teams meet aganst Thursday.

In fact, we now know two of the four Thursday matchups:

2 p.m. No. 5 BC vs. No. 12 Wake Forest
9 p.m. No. 6 Virginia Tech vs. No. 11 Georgia Tech

still waiting on the noon and 7 p.m. matchups ...

dukebballcamper90-91
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I hope we don't get NCST. They play well in the tourny. Good thing if we do play them and they beat us, Sidney will stay around.

strawbs
03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I agree we need to face North Carolina Sunday in order to clear up the whole who is the better team question. Due to the regular season split, things feel incomplete.

I too would like to see unc again because that gives us the best chance at a number 1 seed and because it would be the rubber match. However, I don't know how anyone can question the fact that unc is the better team right now. They DOMINATED us for 60 of the 80 minutes we've played them this year. We don't match up with them well at all.

weezie
03-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I still have a dreadful headache. It's cold, rainy, I'm working on taxes, there's nothing for dinner and my team lost.

The sun will come up tomorrow....I hope. :(

Cameron
03-06-2011, 03:51 PM
The sun will come up tomorrow....I hope.

The sun didn't come up this morning where you are? Unless you are grizzly bear living on the North Slope, you should report this to your local meteorologist. What to look for in the sky: a large, yellow sun.

[Please pardon my attempt at being wry:) It has been a long, horrifying 20 hours.]

Until the Sunday following this, the sun -- and anything happy -- is dead to me. If we don't win the ACC championship, and Carolina does, then I'm not sure I will care to see the sun. I'd rather live inside of a sidewalk.

Last night's nailing to the cross* left me profusely numb. All I could think about was some 72-year-old in a teal sweater-vest politely mumbling "Curtains" as John "The Straw" Henson rose for a final slam dunk and put us in a box. Afterward, I couldn't even walk to the kitchen to have a conversation with my friend who is presently visiting. He will probably only stay for the remainder of the day. And by friend who is presently visiting, I of course mean that bottle of Chivas Regal tucked away in my breadbox. I am a recovering alcoholic. No, I am not. But I do hope Roy Williams goes to hell.

*No, I am not comparing our loss last night to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. I am not the head coach of North Carolina.

msdukie
03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I would like to see UNC lose on Friday.

pfrduke
03-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Miami could have set the field with a win, but they couldn't get past Tech. So Maryland and Virginia slide into the 7 and 8 spots (respectively), and NC State can get to #9 with a win over FSU; with a loss, Miami will be 9 and NC State 10.

rsvman
03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I would like to see UNC lose on Friday.

Agreed, but then again I would like to see UNC lose every game they play.:cool:

Dr. Tina
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Agreed, but then again I would like to see UNC lose every game they play.:cool:

I can get on board with this...and the quote that preceded it....

gofurman
03-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Miami could have set the field with a win, but they couldn't get past Tech. So Maryland and Virginia slide into the 7 and 8 spots (respectively), and NC State can get to #9 with a win over FSU; with a loss, Miami will be 9 and NC State 10.

So if FSU wins against State this will be it right?? :

#13 North Carolina 14-2 -- 24-6
#4 Duke 13-3 27-4
Florida State 11-5 20-9
Clemson 9-7 20-10

byes above

5. Boston College 9-7 19-11
6. Virginia Tech 9-7 19-10
7. Maryland 7-9 18-13
8. Virginia 7-9 16-14
9. Miami (FL) 6-10 18-13
10. North Carolina State 5-11 15-14
11. Georgia Tech 5-11 13-17
12. wake forest 1-15 8-23

dukebballcamper90-91
03-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Carowhina won on their home court.

Duke won on their home court.

The only way to decide who is the better team is for them to meet in the ACC Finals on Sunday.

gumbomoop
03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
So if FSU wins against State this will be it right?? :

#13 North Carolina 14-2 -- 24-6
#4 Duke 13-3 27-4
Florida State 11-5 20-9
Clemson 9-7 20-10

byes above

5. Boston College 9-7 19-11
6. Virginia Tech 9-7 19-10
7. Maryland 7-9 18-13
8. Virginia 7-9 16-14
9. Miami (FL) 6-10 18-13
10. North Carolina State 5-11 15-14
11. Georgia Tech 5-11 13-17
12. wake forest 1-15 8-23

Yes, and FSU has just won, so that's it.

UrinalCake
03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Well to put a positive spin on things, our last game against Maryland was the late time Kyle shot the ball really well from outside. He scored well against Temple but mostly on inside buckets (which wouldn't be a bad thing for him to do either, of course). Against Maryland he went on a tear where everything he put up went in. Maybe playing them again will get him out of his slump (assuming they beat NCSU of course).

DukeFanSince1990
03-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Well to put a positive spin on things, our last game against Maryland was the late time Kyle shot the ball really well from outside. He scored well against Temple but mostly on inside buckets (which wouldn't be a bad thing for him to do either, of course). Against Maryland he went on a tear where everything he put up went in. Maybe playing them again will get him out of his slump (assuming they beat NCSU of course).

Scoring at all would be a good thing. No matter how he gets them.

Kewlswim
03-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Hi,

I just hate the way the ACC is set-up these days. I liked the round-robin system where teams played each other home and home. I don't like the byes and just don't like that UNC won the conference regular season (actually I just don't like UNC in any way, but this is one more way I don't like them) playing an inferior conference schedule to Duke. We had to go to Maryland and to FSU and they just had to play FSU at home. Granted we should have beaten VPI (I'm bitter about that too). However, an ACC Tournament Championship in 2011 would make me feel a lot less bitter, just saying.

GO DUKE!

sporthenry
03-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Actually, UNC probably had the hardest in-conference schedule. UNC had to play the 3rd, 4th, and 6th best team in coference twice while Duke played each once. Meanwhile, Duke got the 7th, 8th, and 9th best team twice and both teams got the 10th best team.
So you have to give it to UNC, albeit they had a lot of close wins which could have went either way and lucked out a bit not having to visit Singleton.

That said, I'm happy Duke won't see Miami in the ACCT. Granted they beat them twice, they also played them early and Miami looks a lot stronger than MD or NC State.

nocilla
03-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi,

I just hate the way the ACC is set-up these days. I liked the round-robin system where teams played each other home and home. I don't like the byes and just don't like that UNC won the conference regular season (actually I just don't like UNC in any way, but this is one more way I don't like them) playing an inferior conference schedule to Duke. We had to go to Maryland and to FSU and they just had to play FSU at home. Granted we should have beaten VPI (I'm bitter about that too). However, an ACC Tournament Championship in 2011 would make me feel a lot less bitter, just saying.

GO DUKE!

Well I agree about the round robin, but they earned the Reg season title. They finished 8-1 against the top 6 in the ACC, while Duke finished 3-3. UNC did not have to go to VT and went to FSU w/o Singleton. But we didn't have to go to Clemson or BC. Although I would have rather went to BC than VT or FSU. But the good thing is that it can be settled in the ACC tourney.

nvobluedevil
03-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Carowhina won on their home court.

Duke won on their home court.

The only way to decide who is the better team is for them to meet in the ACC Finals on Sunday.

or in houston...

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2011, 10:55 AM
or in houston...

That is just a bad, bad idea. I love the UNC-Duke rivalry, but I would hate to meet them in the tourney. I'm sure UNC fans feel the same way.

ChicagoHeel
03-07-2011, 12:30 PM
That is just a bad, bad idea. I love the UNC-Duke rivalry, but I would hate to meet them in the tourney. I'm sure UNC fans feel the same way.

Agreed. I would hate to play Duke in the FF. A loss would be beyond devastating. Even if we won, my heart would not survive the game if it were anything short of a 30-point blowout.

watzone
03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Uncertain where to post this of stuff and figure a lot of links will be upcoming, so made an ACC T thread. Feel free to send this to another thread if appropriate. Here are Nolan Smith and Mason Plumlee video interviews from yesterday. http://bluedevilnation.net/2011/03/nolan-smith-and-mason-plumlee-vids/