PDA

View Full Version : Conference Tournaments

Wander
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
The smaller conference tournaments are one of my favorite parts of the season. May have flown under the radar a bit, but they're starting this weekend.

Murray State, which won a game last year in the NCAA tournament and returned most of their good players, was upset yesterday and is out of the brackets this year.

Tonight Belmont will play North Florida for the first 2011 tournament bid. They nearly had one of the biggest upsets in tournament history before Gerald Henderson saved us from embarrassment, and are 29-4 this year. Three of those four losses are single-digit road losses to Tennessee (twice) and Vanderbilt. They're also ranked by kenpom as a Top 25 team. Make of that what you will.

Bob Green
03-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Big South Championship Game: UNC-Asheville 60, Coastal Carolina 47.

juise
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
It looks like Butler is moving to the Horizon final. I'd like to see them keep winning for Duke's SOS.

Also, Belmont's in the dance. Bad memories.

Wander
03-06-2011, 02:14 AM
Morehead State won the tournament that Murray State could not. This gives one of the country's most underrated players, possible lottery pick Kenneth Faried, a chance to play in the NCAA tournament. He's the leading rebounder in the country and put up good numbers against Florida and Ohio State. That's a hell of a 14 or 15 seed to have to play (first round upset of Carolina, anyone? :) ).

Wander
03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Wichita State was upset in the Missouri Valley tournament. MVC teams have a recent history of doing well in the tournament, from knocking off Kansas last year to putting two teams in the Sweet 16 in 2006 to having Southern Illinois be a consistent tournament member for quite a few years (remember the "Saluki hangover" from that SIU fan on here?).

The game is 2 PM on CBS, and I think it's fair to say that the MVC tournament is widely considered to be one of the three best conference tournaments to watch, along with the ACC and Big East. Missouri State is 15-3 in their conference but probably can't get an at-large bid if they lose to Indiana State. Still, Missouri State, Belmont, and Morehead State would I think compose an unusually excellent set of early bids - if this trend continues, the better teams could be in more trouble than usual in the early rounds.

throatybeard
03-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Poor Missouri State, one possession. And Lunardi has them first four out.

I'd like to thank everyone all over the Midwest for pouring their discretionary income into Saint Louis during Arch Madness. Now to get the NCAA Wrestling Championship back from Omaha. (2012, I think).

Why did Belmont play Tennessee twice?

Bob Green
03-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I'd like to thank everyone all over the Midwest for pouring their discretionary income into Saint Louis during Arch Madness.

Duh! I feel kind of dumb right now. One simple sentence from you explains what I couldn't figure out while watching the game...why is the "M" missing? St. Louis + Arch = Obvious.

gofurman
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Duh! I feel kind of dumb right now. One simple sentence from you explains what I couldn't figure out while watching the game...why is the "M" missing? St. Louis + Arch = Obvious.

so who is in?

unc - a
Belmnt
Morehead State
others?

Bob Green
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
so who is in?

unc - a
Belmnt
Morehead State
others?

Indiana State via the Missouri Valley Conference automatic bid.

Rogue
03-06-2011, 09:16 PM
One that I follow closely is the CAA,, UNCW use to do well , till they decided basketball coaches aren't part of the reason a team is successful ( Brad Brownell, now at Clempson was the UNCW coach that had great success, but the AD thought it wasn't important lol ) anyway, they play for their championship Monday evening on ESPN( 2 ? ) and it's VCU vs ODU,, actually one of that conferences best rivals.. George Mason, the No 1 seed, was beat soundly by VCU ( playing 2 miles from campus,, no home court advantage though LMAO ) and this, could put 3 CAA teams in the NCAA's if VCU wins,, ODU has some nice wins, rpi sos,, so does Mason.. I'll watch this one,, great mid major rivals,, 90 miles apart maybe.

Wander
03-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Poor Missouri State, one possession. And Lunardi has them first four out.

Not sure if it actually means anything, but might be worth noting that Missouri State currently has the record, in 2006, of team with the best RPI left out of the NCAA tournament.

Re Belmont, the first meeting was part of an early season tournament.

Wander
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Vermont (13-3 in America East) and Fairfield (15-3 in MAAC) were both upset in their semi-finals today. Whenever a 16 seed eventually beats a 1, it's going to be as much about avoiding these results as it is about having a weak crop of 1 seeds.

crote
03-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Poor Missouri State, one possession. And Lunardi has them

Once during the NIT Season Tip Off (or whatever that tournament is called now), once during a regular non-conference game.

throatybeard
03-07-2011, 01:44 AM

I know no one is gonna believe this, given that the schools are mid-majors, but this tournament matches the buzz and atmosphere, here, locally, of the ACCT. Especially given how most years, the ACC Final is Duke or UNC (not Duke versus UNC) against some other school and most other people have left town.

It's hott. The losing schools' fans tend to stick around throughout. And they hold it in the Scottrade Center (Blues arena, 2009 WBB FF) instead of the football stadium (2005 MBB FF, 2010 MBB Region Final). So it's a real basketball/hockey arena, like the GSO Coliseum. I'm like, why are all these White baby boomers--the most intensely averse demo in history to mass transit and traditional neighborhood development--why they riding the metro? They don't do that, normally. How odd. Oh, there's Arch Madness, and they're from Illinois or Iowa and they're staying at the airport. Rock on.

Still, I like the Wrestling Championships more. Instead of 10 schools you get, I don't even know, 25, 30? I have some stories to tell about that.

throatybeard
03-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Not sure if it actually means anything, but might be worth noting that Missouri State currently has the record, in 2006, of team with the best RPI left out of the NCAA tournament.

Re Belmont, the first meeting was part of an early season tournament.

Currently at 37. Maybe the committee will throw them a lifeline...not that I'm endorsing the RPI as a metric.

This illustrates the differences between the power conferences and the others. We whine about how the ACC is being disrespected in favor of the BE. But we never have to worry about the stuff [erstwhile SW] Missouri State, regular season champ, one-poss loser in their conference tourney final, though they are in a good conference, does. They killed their conference, but they lose by basically one possession, and they're competing with VT for the last spot.

The greatest moment in the history of my sports attendance occurred in 1999 in the Charlotte 1R and 2R in that hideous dark arena. We played Tulsa and [SW]MS played...Wisconsin? I don't remember. But they played the William Tell Overture, and the Bear slapped his own glutes repeatedly. It was art. If you weren't there, you don't know.

Wander
03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Throaty, going to the MVC tournament is definitely on my bucket list of sports.

We have four bids to hand out today. One goes to the winner Iona vs St Peter's. I don't have much to say there, other than Iona was the last winless team a few years ago so that's a nice turnaround.

Another is VCU vs Old Dominion. VCU has a win over UCLA, Old Dominion over Clemson. So they can beat power conference teams.

The WCC got their dream match-up in Gonzaga vs St Mary's. They've both made the Sweet 16 recently.

The last one is Wofford vs College of Charleston. Charleston is of course the team that really started UNC's downward spiral last year, and they played them tough again this season (losing by 5 in Chapel Hill). Wofford very nearly beat Wisconsin in the first round last year as a 13 seed, but lost on a last second shot by I believe Leuer.

Bob Green
03-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Old Dominion just defeated Virginia Commonwealth, 70-65, to earn the Colonial Athletic Association automatic bid. Am I a bad person because I rooted for VCU to lose?

The West Coast Conference Championship is starting now with St. Mary's vs Gonzaga. I think both teams will make the Field of 68. I've watched a couple of WCC games this year and will be pulling for the Gaels.

Bob Green
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm no expert, but it appears to me Steven Gray may be in need of stitches. That's an ugly cut above his left eye. It appeared to be caused by his teammate's knee landing on his face.

Rogue
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Old Dominion just defeated Virginia Commonwealth, 70-65, to earn the Colonial Athletic Association automatic bid. Am I a bad person because I rooted for VCU to lose? .

No lol, not at all,, and if truth be known,, you'd root for ODU to lose also.. Those two schools hate one another and bring out the best thugery ( new word lol ) in that conference.
Yes, Manor from VCU,, was it Buffaloe NY where that game was played.. yes,, hating on VCU is kewl,:cool:

Bob Green
03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Final Score: Gonzaga 75, St. Mary's 63. It was a good game and a lot closer than the final score. These two rivals went at each other like a couple of prize fighters in a physical but never dirty game. Gonzaga secures the West Coast Conference automatic bid, but I believe St. Mary's is safely in the NCAAT as well. Lunardi has both teams as 10 seeds in his latest Bracketology.

1 24 90
03-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I remember thinking a month ago that Gonzaga and Butler could both miss the tourney this year. I should have known better. Gonzaga wins last night and Butler up 16 with 2 minutes to go to seal their bid.

dukelifer
03-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I remember thinking a month ago that Gonzaga and Butler could both miss the tourney this year. I should have known better. Gonzaga wins last night and Butler up 16 with 2 minutes to go to seal their bid.

Who wants to bet that Butler is Duke's second round game?

wilson
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Congratulations to the University of Northern Colorado Bears for their first-ever Big Dance appearance (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310682458).
But seriously, UNC? I hope you lose in the first round by 75.

1 24 90
03-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Congratulations to the University of Northern Colorado Bears for their first-ever Big Dance appearance (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310682458).

Or better yet, this UNC could upset that other UNC in the first round! (I mean the 2nd round as it's now called)

wilson
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Or better yet, this UNC could upset that other UNC in the first round! (I mean the 2nd round as it's now called)Seriously...assuming that Northern Colorado doesn't play the other unc in the first round, I will root against them, simply because they are UNC.
I have a serious problem.

loldevilz
03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't know where to post this, but UCONN just knocked off Pitt after crushing Georgetown. This team is really really dangerous in the tournament. I really hope they aren't in Duke's bracket. Kemba Walker is very clutch and Oriaki is very tough inside.

1 24 90
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know where to post this, but UCONN just knocked off Pitt after crushing Georgetown. This team is really really dangerous in the tournament. I really hope they aren't in Duke's bracket. Kemba Walker is very clutch and Oriaki is very tough inside.

That was some play/shot by Kemba. Very impressive. Could also help Duke that Pitt lost early in their tourney.

mkline09
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Another question to pose from this from a Pitt perspective is do they still get a No. 1 seed? Not sure how considering they've lost a few games of late and didn't win a game in the tournament in which they were the No. 1 team.

Still like you said UConn is tough and is playing lights out right now.

pfrduke
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
In other news, Okie State is going to the line with a chance to tie Kansas with 1:28 to play. No one is safe......

pfrduke
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Ok St. down one with the ball and 19.5 seconds to play.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Another question to pose from this from a Pitt perspective is do they still get a No. 1 seed? Not sure how considering they've lost a few games of late and didn't win a game in the tournament in which they were the No. 1 team.

Because they are a Big East team- they beat each other and no one ever seems to move down in the polls.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok St. down one with the ball and 19.5 seconds to play.

Horrible effort at the end. Kansas survives.

-bdbd
03-10-2011, 02:47 PM

Because they are a Big East team- they beat each other and no one ever seems to move down in the polls.

I think there is a very real chance Pitt loses the #1 NCAAT seed now. It would be different if they lost in the Big East finals to a number-4 ND team, after first winning a couple. But, in their first game, they lost to a #21 UCONN squad that should have been more tired. I would have to think that is worse than losing to a top-10 NC@CH squad on their home floor, no? At this point, any loss among the other top-6 teams is good news for Duke's #1 seed hopes. That said, I'd still trade them all for a revenge win over NC@CH.
:rolleyes:

P.S. No surprise in the Miami win over UVA. I was thinking Miami might give NC@CH a slightly better game Friday.

El_Diablo
03-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Horrible effort at the end. Kansas survives.

Yeah, that was a head-scratcher on OK State's playcalling (basically, dribbling out the clock until about 8 seconds left in order to hold for the last shot). Then poor execution turned that shot into a fade-away from 25 feet with a hand in the face.

Oh well...KU likely would have earned a #1 seed even with an early loss anyway.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that was a head-scratcher on OK State's playcalling (basically, dribbling out the clock until about 8 seconds left in order to hold for the last shot). Then poor execution turned that shot into a fade-away from 25 feet with a hand in the face.

They even had a time out to plan. I think the notion that KU is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack is not correct. They have issues as well. OSU is pretty solid- but it boggles the mind to think they will be the National Champion. It seems like they will find a way to lose again.

Jeff Frosh
03-10-2011, 03:42 PM
They even had a time out to plan. I think the notion that KU is head and shoulders above the rest of the pack is not correct. They have issues as well. OSU is pretty solid- but it boggles the mind to think they will be the National Champion. It seems like they will find a way to lose again.

It looks like this year's tourney is going to be really really wide open, even more so than last year's. If we are sans Kyrie, it seems like Ohio St., barring a very bad early conference tourney loss, will be the favorite. But I agree, it just doesn't feel like Ohio St. will run the table. I think all of the Number 1 seeds will be vulnerable.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
It looks like this year's tourney is going to be really really wide open, even more so than last year's. If we are sans Kyrie, it seems like Ohio St., barring a very bad early conference tourney loss, will be the favorite. But I agree, it just doesn't feel like Ohio St. will run the table. I think all of the Number 1 seeds will be vulnerable.

Could be whoever is hot. I would not even be surprised to see Butler make a run as they seem to be playing better and have a game that is suited to the tourney.

Bob Green
03-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Could be whoever is hot. I would not even be surprised to see Butler make a run as they seem to be playing better and have a game that is suited to the tourney.

Gonzaga, a team that is usually overrated year in and year out, is currently playing good basketball. They have won 11 of 12 and nine in a row since going on a three game losing streak in late January. The difference seems to be the light bulb turning on for freshman point guard David Stockton.

dukelifer
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Gonzaga, a team that is usually overrated year in and year out, is currently playing good basketball. They have won 11 of 12 and nine in a row since going on a three game losing streak in late January. The difference seems to be the light bulb turning on for freshman point guard David Stockton.

What a difference a pg can make. Sounds like another team I know and hate so well.

lotusland
03-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Son of John Stockton?

pfrduke
03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Son of John Stockton?

Yes. And a spitting image of his dad. They even have the same jump shot (well, at least the same form).

Bob Green
03-10-2011, 11:05 PM
E.J. Singler is tearing up the PAC 10 Tournament. He scored a career high 22 points last night as Oregon defeated Arizona State 76-69. Tonight, against UCLA, Singler has 22 points with 2:18 remaining in the game, and Oregon up 72-54.

Edit: Oregon advances to the semi-finals and will face the winner of Washington/Washington State. Singler scored a career high for the second night in a row with 24 points.

loldevilz
03-11-2011, 02:44 AM
According to Lunardi Duke is now a 2 seed due to Notre Dame's domination of Cincinnati.

Saratoga2
03-11-2011, 07:27 AM

Kansas looks vulnerable after shooting very poorly from the 3 point line. Sound familiar?

Saratoga2
03-11-2011, 07:29 AM
According to Lunardi Duke is now a 2 seed due to Notre Dame's domination of Cincinnati.

If they win the big east they deserve a #1

Atlanta Duke
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight column/blog in The New York Times, which usually breaks down polling data, has a statistical analysis of performance in the NCAA tournament of teams that were unranked in the preseasson poll (such as Notre Dame this season) but ended up in the top 10 in the final regular season poll. Silver's numbers reflect those teams have underachieved in the NCAAs given their anticipated performance for a team seeded at that level. Based on his stats Silver concludes the #2 seed in whatever region Notre Dame is seeded #1 should be pleased with its draw.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/in-n-c-a-a-tournament-overachievers-often-disappoint/?hp

Of course the #2 seed in whatever region Notre Dame presumbly will be placed as a #1 seed may be less pleased with that draw if it watched the dismantling of Cincinnati last night.

Jeff Frosh
03-11-2011, 10:24 AM

If Duke and Notre Dame win their respective conference tournaments, wouldn't it be reasonable that they would both be 1 seeds and Pitt would drop to a 2 seed?

DallasDevil
03-11-2011, 10:44 AM
E.J. Singler is tearing up the PAC 10 Tournament. He scored a career high 22 points last night as Oregon defeated Arizona State 76-69. Tonight, against UCLA, Singler has 22 points with 2:18 remaining in the game, and Oregon up 72-54.

Edit: Oregon advances to the semi-finals and will face the winner of Washington/Washington State. Singler scored a career high for the second night in a row with 24 points.

Now if we can just get his brother to set new career highs in each game of his conference tournament...

TNDukeFan
03-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Colin Cowherd was just ranting about how dead the sites of the conf tournaments are (except Big East) -- "Put the ACC in Cameron!...people would say 'unfair advantage' -- be quiet, Duke wins it every other year anyway!"

Jeff Frosh
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Colin Cowherd was just ranting about how dead the sites of the conf tournaments are (except Big East) -- "Put the ACC in Cameron!...people would say 'unfair advantage' -- be quiet, Duke wins it every other year anyway!"

Only "every other year"? How about 9 of the last 12!!! :D

superdave
03-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Looks like Ohio State will hang on in overtime vs. Northwestern. I dont think their #1 seed was in jeopardy, but that would be a bad loss.

jv001
03-11-2011, 02:25 PM

Colin has said some flattering things about Duke recently. Can't say that about many ESPN guys. Not even Jay Bilas. Go Duke!

DallasDevil
03-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, an ill advised timeout by Mark Fox may cost his team an NCAA bid.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Too bad the rest of the ACC tournament just turned into a series of unc home games.

1 24 90
03-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Michigan closes the game on a 21-4 run to beat Illinois.
Alabama closes the game on a 17-4 to send the game to OT where they beat Georgia.
You all know about the other big comeback.

Can anyone hold a big lead today?

DallasDevil
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Michigan closes the game on a 21-4 run to beat Illinois.
Alabama closes the game on a 17-4 to send the game to OT where they beat Georgia.
You all know about the other big comeback.

Can anyone hold a big lead today?

Dayton apparently can, but barely (won by 1 after being up 18).

BlueDevilBaby
03-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm hoping Bucknell can't against against my Pards (I know 9 points does not seem a huge lead but I'm afraid it is for Lafayette). Otherwise I owe my dad $5.

pfrduke
03-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Syracuse-UCONN going to overtime in the Big East tourney. Again.

NYC Duke Fan
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Watch out for Miuchigan State in the tournament. I don't cae what seed they get. Izzo is one terrific tournament coach and his team is playing good ball right now. They just destroyed Purdue. I would not want them in Duke's bracket.

1 24 90
03-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Jimmer has 33 with 1 minute to go in the first half and none of them are free throws. That's pretty amazing.

Saratoga2
03-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Watch out for Miuchigan State in the tournament. I don't cae what seed they get. Izzo is one terrific tournament coach and his team is playing good ball right now. They just destroyed Purdue. I would not want them in Duke's bracket.

Had Purdue won the tournament, they would have been in the running for a number 1 spot. Not only that, MSU's win helps the strength of schedule for all who played and beat them

ajgoodfella7
03-11-2011, 10:18 PM
The more I watch of this Notre Dame team, the more I think they have a legitimate National Title caliber team. They seem extremely balanced and they run a very efficient offense.

dukelifer
03-11-2011, 10:19 PM

True enough- the guy has a knack but they are not good enough to win it all. Still, they can break someone's heart along the way.

pfrduke
03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
With roughly the same amount of time left to go in their respective games, BYU-New Mexico and Penn St.-Wisconsin are tied. The score in the first game is 58-58; in the second 26-26. Yikes.

devildeac
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Is this score real:

1 2 T
PSU 20 15 35
#13 WIS 16 17 33

with 10 seconds to go in the game or does 2nd mean 2nd quarter:rolleyes:?

pfrduke
03-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Is this score real:

1 2 T
PSU 20 15 35
#13 WIS 16 17 33

with 10 seconds to go in the game or does 2nd mean 2nd quarter:rolleyes:?

It's real. 36-33 final. Penn State and Michigan State will play for a spot in the Big 10 finals.

loran16
03-11-2011, 11:00 PM
It's real. 36-33 final. Penn State and Michigan State will play for a spot in the Big 10 finals.

PSU actually beat Illinois two years ago 38-33. They just topped their own record.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2011, 11:07 PM

The other team will be the 1968 NC State Wolfpack, who just defeated Duke 12-10.

94duke
03-11-2011, 11:07 PM

The Jimmer scored 52 by himself!

basket1544
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
I just saw a Singler three go in!!!
Go Oregon!

Bob Green
03-12-2011, 07:36 PM
PAC 10 Championship: Arizona 46, Washington 46 with 13:08 remaining. Isiah Thomas has 19 points for the Huskies.

pfrduke
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
SDSU is getting their revenge on BYU thus far - up 15 early in the second half (although obviously a long way to go).

pfrduke
03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
PAC 10 Championship: Arizona 46, Washington 46 with 13:08 remaining. Isiah Thomas has 19 points for the Huskies.

Great finish in LA - Isaiah hits a step-back jumper as time expires in overtime to give the Huskies the win. Lots of clutch shot making from both teams.

juise
03-12-2011, 11:14 PM
The other Huskies won too... this one after a missed buzzer-beating jumper by Louisville. Trying decide who I wanted to win... Pitino or Calhoun... was difficult. My personal bias was having attended the 2004 Final Four, so I guess I wanted UCon(n) to lose. C'est la vie.

Dr. Tina
03-12-2011, 11:42 PM
In terms of college teams I loathe, UConn comes in 2nd place after UNC. However, I really do have to give them some props for playing 5 games (against teams in the RPI's top 20, I believe) in 5 days with a young team....and winning it all! Kemba was simply amazing. I loved his drop off to Lamb under the basket, and then turning around to hit 2 free throws, though obviously gassed. He's got ice in his veins!

I really feel UCONN is deserving of the BE championship with the way they played. Much more deserving than UNC will be...if they win tomorrow.

-bdbd
03-13-2011, 12:12 AM
In terms of college teams I loathe, UConn comes in 2nd place after UNC. However, I really do have to give them some props for playing 5 games (against teams in the RPI's top 20, I believe) in 5 days with a young team....and winning it all! Kemba was simply amazing. I loved his drop off to Lamb under the basket, and then turning around to hit 2 free throws, though obviously gassed. He's got ice in his veins!

I really feel UCONN is deserving of the BE championship with the way they played. Much more deserving than UNC will be...if they win tomorrow.

No need to worry about that.

Yeah, I always say my second fave team is whoever's playing NC, and my third favorite is the team playing U-Con(victs). (I just don't care about KY...) So I was suffering watching their run through the Big East. I thought they caught a big break not having to play ND. But still give 'em credit - especially Walker - for running a tough gauntlet. I expected them to fade vs L'ville, but it didn't happen. Do they jump up to a #3 seed? In the Big East, I'm most interested in seeing where the Pitt and ND losses leave them seeded. Not an easy seeding process for the comittee this year...

P.S. Everybody still think MSU gets a bid?

Duke: A Dynasty
03-13-2011, 04:11 AM
To the Big East Champions UCONN.

I know I and many people on this board do not like Uconn but what they did was just astounding and fun to watch.

5 games in 5 days
4 of the 5 games were against top 25 teams
3 of the games were down to the wire (1 in OT)
and 3 days before the tournament they played a top 5 team in Notre Dame
in only 10 days they played 7 games

as if that was not enough look at their last 11 games in order

@SJ
vs Prov
vs Gtwn #9
@ Lou #16
vs Marq
@ Cincy
@ WVU
vs ND #7
vs Dep
vs Gtwn #22
vs Pitt #3
vs Syr #11
vs Lou #14

7 ranked teams (SJ was ranked the next week I think and Marq aint so bad either)

Now can the get rested for the big dance? and what should they be seeded now

cakerace
03-13-2011, 06:53 AM
I'd do a big shout-out if I was as impressed with the Big East's rankings as everybody in the media is...

Now if the Big East goes and puts six teams in the final four as others predict, I accept the responsibility for it in advance, and will apologize here:
[Watch this space]