PDA

View Full Version : Would you go pro if you were Kyrie?

91_92_01_10_15
03-04-2011, 11:05 AM
I know some folks are getting upset about the possibility of Kyrie entering the NBA draft after the season, and it made me wonder what I would do if I were in his shoes. Obviously it's not possible for us to know all the factors that he will be weighing while making his decision, but I am curious about what you think you would do if you were Kyrie.

PADukeMom
03-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Nope...want to play a year with Austin Rivers :cool:..wishful thinking. With that said your lifelong dream is to play in the NBA so yes I would go.

sdotbarbee
03-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes I would go, it would be tough not to but crazier things have happened, take it from a Carolina Panthers fan who thought there was no way Andrew Luck would not put his name in the NFL draft. That one still hurts.:)

moonpie23
03-04-2011, 11:29 AM
If i were his dad, and after we all sat down and weighed out the pros and cons of entering the draft and i felt like my son UNDERSTOOD the pros and cons...

then, if he said, "dad, i really want to go back for another year....i didn't get my shot....i want a national title....i want my jersey in cameron"......

i'd give him my blessings....

you gonna tell me that kyle's parents are bumming over kyle staying?

PADukeMom
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Moonpie staying another year won't get his jersey retired unless he...the key word here...graduates.

Kedsy
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
i want my jersey in cameron"......

If Elton Brand's jersey isn't in the rafters, Kyrie's won't be. Even if he comes back for another year he won't stay more than that.

The rest of your post I agree with. If Kyrie says he really wants to come back, his Dad probably says OK. What none of us know is if Kyrie has any notion at all to say such a thing.

moonpie23
03-04-2011, 11:39 AM
i didn't say anything about him staying only one more year.....

jv001
03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I voted no, but I don't like the NBA. So it was not a fair vote. Go Duke!

El_Diablo
03-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Despite being a likely top five pick, I say no, but only because of the NBA lockout. Any other year, I'd say go for it if you're that high.

J_C_Steel
03-04-2011, 11:51 AM
The lockout would scare me if I was in Kyrie's shoes. All things considered, I'd take out an insurance policy on my career and come back to Duke for one more season. That way, he'd get another year to develop, the NBA labor situation would be resolved, and he would still likely be a top 5 draft pick.

jacone21
03-04-2011, 11:57 AM
If I were a junior, I would stay another year and graduate. If I were a freshman and a top 5 pick. I'd have to bounce.

LSanders
03-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Nope ... Wouldn't go.

Kyrie's Kyrie and, obviously, needs to make the best decision for him. But, I know how much I loved college ... Loved being at Duke. I've also read far too many interviews with NBA players who basically say the last time they had fun was in college.

It's a magical time that will never return. Just ask Kyle.

The chance to play with AR ... Have more time with K ... Spend another year learning and exploring life ... Fighting for a championship.

Plus, the 8 games would haunt me. I'd feel like Moonlight Graham. Imagine having that much talent and only getting a sip of the magic water of college basketball.

To me, coming back would be a no-brainer. But, that's just me.

ncexnyc
Money talks. I'm sure he'll have all the info he needs on what he should do when the time arrives. I'd love to see him back, but I can't begrudge a kid for getting rich and achieving a lifelong goal.

PADukeMom
Another year would tend to make tou think that would mean 1 more year. Dad I want to graduate means staying longer.

I do think staying would benefit his game because he would be learning from the master but eventually all grasshoppers have to leave the nest even if we don't want them to.

Not nit-picking on you Moonpie;) It's just that I have been off coffee for 4 weeks. Today I stopped at the mini mart & got a wiff & wanted a cup so bad. This vitamin water isn't cutting it today.

flyingdutchdevil
03-04-2011, 12:13 PM
As the thread states, if I were in Kyrie's shoes, I would have to leave. As much as I (Kyrie) loves Duke and as much as I (Kyrie) want to play with one of my best friends and be coached by the greatest living bball coach, the guarantee of millions would just be too much. And, although I (Kyrie) understand the unlikelihood of another season-ending injury, the name "Robbie Hummel" would give me enough incentive to not risk a career-ending injury.

But, as I am not Kyrie Irving and I too loved college, I would... tough choice.

Atlanta Duke
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I would come back so I could enjoy being the subject of threads that addressed whether I should leave after my 2nd or 3rd years of eligibility

tylervinyard
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I would hope that I would approach my life without fear for the unknown. Knowing that the NBA is a business, and assuming I believe in my abilities to take me there, I would come back so I could experience college for at least another year. I imagine that this year has been so frustrating for Kyrie, he will feel an emptiness in his heart for what he had planned on doing. Sitting on the sidelines and being an honorary coach is great and all, but it pales in comparison to the "whole" experience of playing for a championship.

We talk on here a lot about the "second" contract being so much more important than the first. Why not stay another year learning from the best coach in the game? In college, your growth as a player and teammate is more like being in the classroom whereas when you get to the NBA, it's more on-the-job training where you're on your own and you can only rely on yourself. Both types of learning are important, and it would be helpful to have enough of both to complement your "basketball" education.

Plus, one more year in college means one more year closer to that degree which would make it that much easier to come back and earn it after your playing career is over.

AlaskanAssassin
03-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I voted no. Once you leave for the draft, you'll never experience college basketball again (and it's not like he experienced much this year). I also would try my best to have my jersey retired. Having your jersey retired at a school like Duke says a lot. Lastly, graduation. You wouldn't have to worry about completing your education for several summers or after your career and fully focus on improving in the league.

mgtr
03-04-2011, 12:34 PM
This subject has come up in many threads. If it were me, I would stay in school. However, I loved being a student, had a lot of fun. And if I were good enough to play collegiate athletics at a high level, and even be considered as a high pro draft, I would still stay. I think of college athletics as a lot of work, but fun. Pro ball, however, is a job. No matter how good you are or how much money you make, it is still a job. Now that I am retired, I look back and can say that I really liked college and grad school. Later, my job, while great, was still a job.
Now, we can't get into Kyrie's head (or even his boot!). We don't know all the factors in the decision he must make. I certainly have no idea whether he likes school a lot, or it is just OK. I have no idea how important money and fame is to him.
For all the above, I don't see how I could possibly make a reasonable decision about what he will/should do. He should do whatever seems like the best course of action for him. I hope he stays.

roywhite
03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
At age 19, yes.

From my current perspective (3 x 19...plus a few)---No
More weight to the plus side of college life and the bond with Coach K and teammates

jipops
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
The great thing about this decision for Kyrie, he really can't lose either way. It's also what makes this decision so hard.

dcdevil2009
03-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Staying at Duke another year v. going into a locked-out NBA:

Games: If he stays in college he's guaranteed to be part of 35 or so actual games in front of thousands of fans. In the 1998 lockout, the NBA season was only 50 games. The NBPA seems better prepared this time around, which could lead to an even longer lockout.

Money: If he stays in college, he doesn't have to worry about living expenses, but his family won't see any immediate financial benefit from his success (unless he transfers to Auburn to play QB). On the other hand, he'll have living expenses and no salary if there's a lockout, but some shoe company will make sure he doesn't go hungry. Assuming he "only" gets a 7-figure endorsement deal, going pro is going to be a better financial decision in the short term, both for Kyrie and his family. In the long term, more time in college should make him better prepared for a life outside of basketball, but barring injury, he's talented enough to make more than enough money playing to be set for life.

Basketball Development: Personally, I believe this is the least clear-cut thing that could factor into his decision. By staying in college, he'll have another year of learning under one of the best coaches in all sports. He'll also be guaranteed to play actual games. However, he won't be able to spend all his time playing basketball, because he'll have to balance basketball with academics as well as the NCAA rules limiting practice time. If he goes pro, he might not be getting as good of coaching, but he'll have more time to focus on basketball and he'll be practicing against better competition. I know that if there's a lockout there may not be (m)any team practices, but he'll still be able to play in summer leagues and spend more time working out with other NBA players. Granted Blake Griffin's situation was different because there was no lockout, but it's hard to argue that he would have been better if had he spent a year rehabbing at OU instead of in the NBA.

There are certainly a number of other factors that will weigh into his decision and ultimately, he should do what's best for him and we should respect his decision. For selfish reasons, I'd like him to stay at Duke for as long as possible, but can't fault him for leaving if that's what he chooses.

91_92_01_10_15
03-04-2011, 12:58 PM
At age 19, yes.

This is a great point, I should have included this in the question. Please imagine yourself as you were at age 19 when you vote.

Duke05
03-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't even think leaving would necessarily be about the money. I know we're not fans of the NBA game here, but it's played at an incredibly high level. For many with pride in their craft, it's about challenging themselves among the world's greatest.

If I were Kyrie, I'd go, because I'd want to play with the best of the best as soon as I could. Maybe I'd stumble, but having just walked on water against most of my competition for 3-4 years, I'd relish the challenge and would want to push myself to succeed.

Not saying he wouldn't develop under Coach K here (of course he would). But going against CP3 and DRose is pretty different from your peak challenge being leaving Jacob Pullen in the dust.

dukebluesincebirth
03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
If I were Kyrie, at 19 years old, I'd probably go to the NBA, EXCEPT if there was a lockout. In his current situation with the injury and all, I might look at the lockout as a blessing. I lost my one season of college bball but this gives me an opportunity to get it back because the league I was going to is basically on hold! This must be a sign!

Matches
03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't even think leaving would necessarily be about the money. I know we're not fans of the NBA game here, but it's played at an incredibly high level. For many with pride in their craft, it's about challenging themselves among the world's greatest.

This. (Though the money helps too.)

Every kid is different, of course. For some, staying in school might be the right choice. For a consensus #1 pick, though, usually the draft is the way to go. (Remember K calling Elton Brand's decision a "no-brainer".)

I will say this - whenever I hear a kid make a decision like this based on which option will be "more fun", it's a pretty clear sign of IMmaturity, not the reverse. I recall when Matt Leinart said he was coming back for his senior season at USC, wherein he was taking one class, playing football, and partying for a year - could've told you right then he would be an NFL bust. It's paradoxical for those of us who value education, but sometime school is the "safe" option, not the responsible one.

Bojangles4Eva
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM
At age 19, yes.

More weight to the plus side of college life and the bond with Coach K and teammates

My thoughts exactly. The NBA and the professional world is always there, but these is only a small window in life to be in college. Top that with, playing for coach K, improving your skills as a teamate/player/compeditor and possibly contending for a national championship. However, would I be thinking that when I was 19???

camion
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I have three questions before I decide. I think only the first will have a solid answer before the decision must be made.

1. Am I healthy enough to go through the pre-draft workouts at full speed and then face a full NBA season?

2. If I go, will there be an NBA season to play.

3. Will I have to go to Cleveland or the Clippers?

I'm one who thinks that, if Kyrie is healthy, he has two good choices available. If he isn't fully recovered he would be better served in the long term by returning to Duke.

dukebsbll14
03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Among the money, not enough games, I'd say the biggest reason for him to stay is he never got to play UNC (in Cameron at least, but probably ever wearing a Duke uniform).

If I was in his situation, I don't care how much money someone is offering me. If I played at Duke and never got the chance to beat Carolina....I don't know if I could be okay with that.

SuperTurkey
03-04-2011, 01:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. The NBA and the professional world is always there, but these is only a small window in life to be in college. Top that with, playing for coach K, improving your skills as a teamate/player/compeditor and possibly contending for a national championship. However, would I be thinking that when I was 19???

At age 19, when most are in an awful hurry to grow up, it would be a strong yes. At age 32, I still say yes (though a bit wistfully).

Kedsy
03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
If it were me, I would stay in school. However, I loved being a student, had a lot of fun.

I loved being a student too, and also had a lot of fun. A lot. I could have graduated early, but chose not to, for that reason. Still, if someone had come to me in my freshman year (or any other year) and offered me millions of dollars to leave, I would have. To be set up for life? No question in my mind.

When I watched the pilot episode of Entourage, and the budding actor turns down a $4 million part because he figured those sorts of deals would always be there, I called the tv character an idiot. There's too much uncertainty in life to turn down a sure thing.

Indoor66
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Oops. I voted the wrong way. I meant to vote that I would enter the draft.

TheDukeCreed
03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Would I go pro? Yes! Makes no sense Kyrie coming back. His stock can't get any higher.

PADukeMom
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
This is a great point, I should have included this in the question. Please imagine yourself as you were at age 19 when you vote.

At 19 I voted for Jimmy Carter so that can tell you just how intelligent I wasn't back then.

Maybe I am wearing my Duke blue glasses again but I think our team next year will be considered one of the best out there so that's not an argueable motion. The millions he could potentially be making...no so much.

I just worry about this kid becoming a Shaun Livingston. I know it is entirely a different situation. I really like & admire this kid.

To me it is like being able to test drive an Aston Martin but never being able to really own one. We really only got to test drive him for 8 precious games...sigh. I need caffine.

wilko
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Would I go pro? Yes! Makes no sense Kyrie coming back. His stock can't get any higher.

On one hand I can see how an injury would make him feel *cheated* (not in the UNC way) out of a yr of college play. I'd def want to hit the reset over THAT... And then there is the opportunity to play with friends. College is a lot different than having a job and even basketball will FEEL like a job on the road after being banged on by grown men, being the target of Gold Diggers and hangers on... I can see the urge to stay and be a kid and do stupid stuff like jump off a roof into a pool.. but is that a large enuff motivator by itself? I never had to answer that.

But I prolly would have gone for the cash. Cash out and then If I flame out in the league I can pay my own way back thru college and live like Thornton Mellon on campus. So I have nothing but love for him if he goes.

I would be disappointed to only see him in 8 games in a Duke uni..... but the way to spin it to possible recruits is:
"You want to maximize exposure and draft placement all ya gotta do is DOMINATE at Duke for 8 games... you can be a top 5 pick worst case.."

Chicago 1995
03-04-2011, 02:17 PM
. . .

I just worry about this kid becoming a Shaun Livingston. I know it is entirely a different situation. I really like & admire this kid.

. . .

I think you mean that he should go because of the risk of injury and that he becomes chronically injured and limited like Livingston did. And that's right, I think. The lock out really throws a wrinkle in things, and I think it makes things different for guys like Sullinger or Perry Jones or Barnes when there is likely to be a long-term work stoppage.

For Kyrie though, with the injury he's suffered this year, I wouldn't advise him to risk harming his stock either by people seeing that it's limited him somehow -- no reason to think that's the case, but you don't know -- or by injuring the toe again. That first contract, for a top three pick like it sounds like Kyrie will be, is enough that I don't think you can risk losing that opportunity.

I'd also note that Kyrie may have trouble getting insurance on his future career because of his current injury. At a minimum, it would seem that the premium would be increased so his ability to protect himself were he to choose to come back to avoid the lockout is different than that of Sullinger or Barnes for example, and at a minimum, will be more costly.

You can't risk losing the opportunity to be a pick this high. He should go.

MChambers
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
You know, I really don't think I can answer this one, because no matter how I try, I can't put myself in Kyrie's place. Accordingly, I'd suggest adding a "don't know" option.

FWIW, I have felt this way ever since Mike Dunleavy went pro. I find that it makes the situation easier -- I respect that it is an intensely personal decision and I am fine with whatever our players decide to do.

NSDukeFan
03-04-2011, 02:23 PM
At age 19, yes.

I agree with this perspective. Though if I was Kyrie, first I would go spend the day dunking all day, as unfortunately, I have never been able to do that on regulation sized nets without assistance.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I am close to Kyrie's age and if it were me I would come back to Duke till I graduate then go pro. The money will be there no matter what and I am to talented to not get drafted if I stay or not. O and possibly being drafted by the Cavs scares me

BlueDevilCorvette!
03-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I am close to Kyrie's age and if it were me I would come back to Duke till I graduate then go pro. The money will be there no matter what and I am to talented to not get drafted if I stay or not. O and possibly being drafted by the Cavs scares me

If I was Kyrie, yes I would turn pro after just one year of college. I mean he has the opportunity to be at the top of the food chain...gotta go! (High lottery pick...hmmm...it's been fun but....)

MCFinARL
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
You know, I really don't think I can answer this one, because no matter how I try, I can't put myself in Kyrie's place. Accordingly, I'd suggest adding a "don't know" option.

FWIW, I have felt this way ever since Mike Dunleavy went pro. I find that it makes the situation easier -- I respect that it is an intensely personal decision and I am fine with whatever our players decide to do.

I agree with this completely. Kyrie does not have a destitute family counting on him to help them out of poverty, so he actually does have a choice.

On the one side--college is a great experience--you can get the education later, but it isn't the same. And college basketball--with its rivalries, traditions, and bonds with teammates and coaches--has got to be way more fun than the grind of NBA ball, especially on a bad team (I feel a little bad for John Wall struggling to make an impact on the ever-hapless Wizards). Most likely, the money would be there for Kyrie next year as well as this year.

But on the other side, there is the risk--if he seems substantially affected by the injury or (more of a concern) if he injures himself again, perhaps in a career-ending way, then staying in college that extra year would have been a very costly proposition. Only Kyrie can decide whether he thinks the experience would outweigh the risk or vice versa.

RoyalBlue08
03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
At age 19, when most are in an awful hurry to grow up, it would be a strong yes. At age 32, I still say yes (though a bit wistfully).

Funny, but I thought about this in the completely opposite way. If I was still 19, I would have clicked no in an instant. Young and idealistic....more concerned aobut fun and friends than money. I would rather be BMOC and hang out with my friends and get to play for a National Title. At 34, I clicked yes. Couldn't turn down the guaranteed money. Pragmatic adult has killed that idealistic kid!

Lord Ash
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
College was the best four years of my life. I would take out a big insurance policy and then stay a year to play with Austin.

Huh?
03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Who here would wait to accomplish your ultimate dream and turn down millions of dollars if it were offered to you tomorrow?

MChambers
03-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Who here would wait to accomplish your ultimate dream and turn down millions of dollars if it were offered to you tomorrow?
His dream is to play for the Cavaliers?

Maybe his dream includes being MOP of the Final Four.

crimsonandblue
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
This subject has come up in many threads. If it were me, I would stay in school. However, I loved being a student, had a lot of fun. And if I were good enough to play collegiate athletics at a high level, and even be considered as a high pro draft, I would still stay. I think of college athletics as a lot of work, but fun. Pro ball, however, is a job. No matter how good you are or how much money you make, it is still a job. Now that I am retired, I look back and can say that I really liked college and grad school. Later, my job, while great, was still a job.
Now, we can't get into Kyrie's head (or even his boot!). We don't know all the factors in the decision he must make. I certainly have no idea whether he likes school a lot, or it is just OK. I have no idea how important money and fame is to him.
For all the above, I don't see how I could possibly make a reasonable decision about what he will/should do. He should do whatever seems like the best course of action for him. I hope he stays.

I think college ball is probably more of a job and more work than pro ball. Pro ball is one job. College ball is one job plus school.

I totally get loving college athletics. But there's a reason why guys like Bilas rail against the lack of equity created by the NCAA's amateurism policies. Duke, in the form of an extremely valuable education, offers one of the better, if not the best, deals available. But kids are still getting hosed in terms of the value generated versus the return. And Kyrie's injury has to highlight the fragility of a professional athlete's career.

And it's not like Duke hasn't had guys suffer tragedies that cut careers short (granted post-grad).

I'd miss college, but I'd go pro and use stacks of twenties as a salve for my regrets.

Greg_Newton
03-04-2011, 04:40 PM

Who knows what Kyrie's situation is, but there's something to be said for the long-term view. Rookie contracts are peanuts compared two the second and third contracts, no matter where you're drafted.

Basically, he's a straight-out-of-high-school player who's spent a year redshirting with a college program, and will be coming off of a severe, unique injury just as draft time rolls around. On the one hand, you can take your shot, get a few million, and go straight from 3-4 months of nothing and 1-2 months of rehab to a couple months of training before you begin your NBA career at 19. He'd probably be fine, but that's not exactly the way you dream it up in your ideal scenario.

On the other hand, you could spend the summer with the best medical and rehab team around, get yourself back into peak form, regain whatever feel and confidence you might have been lost from the longest basketball-less stretch of your life, and come back to spend another year at a college you absolutely love. You form one of the most exciting backcourts in history with a friend and fellow lottery pick, get to really be part of Duke basketball history (rather than just 8 games), pursue a championship, and maybe most importantly learn from the greatest coach alive for a full season before you leave in peak condition to take the NBA by storm.

It's not like it's that much of a risk; unless he's worried that he's not actually good enough to be a top-5 pick, it's not that money is going anywhere. And even if by some chance something did happen to hurt his stock, it would be just as bad for that to happen in the NBA, as it would potentially hurt his second contract.

I won't blame the kid if he goes - and I think he will - but I don't think it's as cut-and-dry as some make it seem.

duke79
03-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I think college ball is probably more of a job and more work than pro ball. Pro ball is one job. College ball is one job plus school.

I totally get loving college athletics. But there's a reason why guys like Bilas rail against the lack of equity created by the NCAA's amateurism policies. Duke, in the form of an extremely valuable education, offers one of the better, if not the best, deals available. But kids are still getting hosed in terms of the value generated versus the return. And Kyrie's injury has to highlight the fragility of a professional athlete's career.

And it's not like Duke hasn't had guys suffer tragedies that cut careers short (granted post-grad).

I'd miss college, but I'd go pro and use stacks of twenties as a salve for my regrets.
You're not the only one thinking like that. It's hard for anyone to turn down the money available to a top draft pick, plus the thought of a career ending injury has to weigh on any decision.

cato
03-04-2011, 04:58 PM
For Kyrie though, with the injury he's suffered this year, I wouldn't advise him to risk harming his stock either by people seeing that it's limited him somehow -- no reason to think that's the case, but you don't know -- or by injuring the toe again. That first contract, for a top three pick like it sounds like Kyrie will be, is enough that I don't think you can risk losing that opportunity.

I'd also note that Kyrie may have trouble getting insurance on his future career because of his current injury. At a minimum, it would seem that the premium would be increased so his ability to protect himself were he to choose to come back to avoid the lockout is different than that of Sullinger or Barnes for example, and at a minimum, will be more costly.

You can't risk losing the opportunity to be a pick this high. He should go.

Now that I am (presumably) closer in age to Kyrie's parents than to Kyrie, it's easier to imagine what I would advise him to do, than what I would do in his place. And if I were his dad, this is exactly what I would argue.

Absent other considerations (see, Luol Deng), I imagine that his parents won't try to override his choice, whatever it might be. But I would guess that they will try to convince him.

gus
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Now that I am (presumably) closer in age to Kyrie's parents than to Kyrie, it's easier to imagine what I would advise him to do, than what I would do in his place. And if I were his dad, this is exactly what I would argue.

Absent other considerations (see, Luol Deng), I imagine that his parents won't try to override his choice, whatever it might be. But I would guess that they will try to convince him.

I'm with you on this. And as much as I loved college -- every part of life has its own wonderful and awful moments. Choosing a path always has an opportunity cost. Choosing one path to avoid regret later isn't always the best strategy.

Interesting to see some of the posters who I actually know weigh in on this, in relation to their professions:

lawyer: go
accountant: go
teacher: stay

crimsonandblue
03-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm with you on this. And as much as I loved college -- every part of life has its own wonderful and awful moments. Choosing a path always has an opportunity cost. Choosing one path to avoid regret later isn't always the best strategy.

Interesting to see some of the posters who I actually know weigh in on this, in relation to their professions:

lawyer: go
accountant: go
teacher: stay

Silly self-important teachers with all their "education is important"-this and their "there are things more important than money"-that. Bah. Who needs them.

Greg_Newton
03-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Silly self-important teachers with all their "education is important"-this and their "there are things more important than money"-that. Bah. Who needs them.

Amen brother!

-Wisconsin

dukestheheat
03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
(been listenin' to too much Aerosmith's 'Dream On!').

If I were Kyrie Irving, which I am not (even though I play him on television.....), I would want to see what it's actually like to play a season of college basketball. I'd realize that I only got to play eight games, and then I had to sit around with a boot on and not realize what it's actually like to get out there with the guys and play. I'd miss that. I'd realize that I can only do this once; for me, as a college student, I only get one chance to play. Sure, I can always get my degree on-line or come back over the summers, but to get to go to Duke and play basketball, well, I want to see what that's like, and I just haven't had the chance to do that yet for a full year like everybody else......

That's why I'd go back to school for one more year and try to see what's that's all about.

dth.

smvalkyries
03-04-2011, 06:30 PM
cpa/attorney- It seems to me that if you can be sure of being a top 3 pick without having to prove that you are 100% back from your injury and that you really are as good as your 8 game experience portended, that going is the safer conservative approach, even given the uncertainty of the details of the new NBA union agreement for 2011 if any.
However if you are invinceable and an ultimate optimist it is apparent to me that if you are destined to have a long and distinguished NBA career at the end of it you would be wishing that you had stayed and enjoyed the NCAA/college experience while you had the chance (ask Grant Hill, despite his injuries). It is equally apparent to me that unless you despise school work (or paying to go to work depending on how you view it) you are more likely to have more fun at age 20 spending a year as a campus hero, surrounded by similarly aged and intelligent classmates ( the only time in your life that you will experience this opportunity w/o having to pay for their company), than experiencing the rigors of the NBA travel schedule in the company of fully grown men 8-10 years your senior in maturity outlook and experience. All this in addition to probably losing 55 or more of you 82 games, getting physically beaten up by older more mature players every 2 days but hopefully at least still getting the opportunity to play the game you love 25-30 minutes a game.
As far as your basketball skill is concerned I can't tell you which option will accelerate your growth more- more time practicing against better players, and playing games every other day w/o the distraction of classes and tests or additional time with a better coach, playing games under much more personnal pressure to succeed (and more memories good and bad) in games that actually mean a lot more to you and to others than any NBA game you will ever play in (championship series included).
None of the above even takes into consideration the personnal growth and added value attributable to the educational exposure available at a place like Duke.
Ultimately one could view the future economic value of a Duke education and degree as commensurate with a couple of years of NBA caliber earnings however realistically this value is neither guaranteed like a NBA top 3 contract nor nearly as quick or certain to materialize.
As most of us are old wizzened veterans the majority would opt for the safety of going- Those that are bold and blessed can shoot for the stars and try to capture the best of both worlds-
My only hope is that Kyrie chooses the option that is best for him right now and that everything works out as he hopes it will.

Reddevil
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Right, and it would be the only experience one would ever have to regret. Think of all the experiences you would like to have in life, and you can have them - guaranteed. I would look forward to retiring from the league so I could get on with fulfilling all my dreams. So a few experiences are missed from 18-22. The rest of your life is filled with pretty much what you want it filled with. I'm not talking guaranteed happiness. That's always a crapshoot, but I am saying your odds of escaping unhappiness increase significantly. Have you ever seen an angry snorkeler?

MCFinARL
03-04-2011, 06:42 PM

Not saying your ultimate conclusion is wrong--while I think only Kyrie can decide, certainly I would completely understand him deciding to go. But I'm not sure I agree that college ball is more of a job than pro ball. The "more work" part I get, though theoretically, student-athletes are supposed to be doing their school work to get a degree, not so they can play basketball. [I recognize that is only a theory.] But the pros play so many more games, so many more times a week, with constant traveling and--as someone else pointed out earlier--constant pounding on the court. Sounds like a job to me.

Not that it still doesn't beat actually working for a living by a hundred miles. :D

El_Diablo
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
His dream is to play for the Cavaliers?

Does anyone else think that the Cavaliers were just obfuscating when they suggested they would pick Kyrie? They have Baron Davis through 2013, and I'd imagine he'll be pretty hard to move until the 2012-13 season (when a team can take advantage of his expiring contract). Meanwhile, the Cavs have a big need down low...wouldn't Jared Sullinger (from Columbus, now playing for Ohio State) make a ton more sense? Or are they sick of the local boys after Lebron? ;)

Anyway, it's probably a topic better addressed in the off season, since there are still so many unknowns regarding how this season plays out. But I doubt the Cavaliers would pass on a hometown hero to draft someone at a position they have locked in for the next two years. So if he were to leave this year, Kyrie may end up in Minnesota or somewhere else, and he could slip a few spots since a lot of the bottom-feeders actually have PGs already (Washington, Sacramento, New Jersey). And he might not collect his first NBA paycheck until January or so, given the way the lockout looks to play out (since the owners get TV money no matter what, and they stand to benefit a lot financially if the season is shortened or even canceled).

magjayran
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Me personally? Growing up a hardcore Duke fan from Durham, NC that wanted nothing more in my lifetime than to be a point guard like Bobby that could dunk like Brian and Grant and hit clutch shots like Christian? I'd want to stick around and try to be the first at Duke with 3 rings. But if I was any other teenager in America and had the chance to be a #1 pick, I'd go pro.

I read all the arguments for why he should stay and I want them to be good enough to keep Kyrie here. I think a lockout is our only hope.

ACniner
03-04-2011, 09:41 PM
If I were in his shoes, I believe I would probably go. I believe I would think long and hard about the decision, especially not being on the floor, and watching my teammates fight back against a rival while Cameron is rocking for the win. He's missed a chance to have some special memories as a player at Duke, and I think that would bother me as a player. It's such a hard call, I hope he makes a decision that is best for him and his plans. As long as he's happy, I am honored to have watched such a special talent come and play for Duke, no matter how short lived it may have been.

DukeDevilDeb
03-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm a professor who has taught virtually every player on the team for the last 20 years. I can remember sitting next to Daniel Ewing's girlfriend at his first Duke game and asking her whether Daniel would stay four years. Her answer? Why would he?! And I knew that there had been a fundamental change in attitude about alma mater vs all the money!

There have been a few kids I was absolutely certain would play four years from the moment they set foot on Coach K floor (not including the Laettners and Hurleys and Hills who played during a time when the vast majority didn't leave): Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, JOn Lance and Zoubs, and (I confess) Mike Dunleavy. Then there were only a few I thought might stay but also might go: Gerald Henderson and Josh McRoberts headed that list. (so I get a few wrong!) Then there were the "definitely out of here" guys like Elton, Corey and Luol.

Since watching Kyrie in the first game, I have been absolutely certain that he would leave at the end of this year. I have never wavered in that belief, though I would truly love to be wrong. After all, why should he stay?

He's never going to graduate, so a jersey in the rafters isn't a possibility.

Who cares that he didn't get to play in the Carolina game? Come on, the fans make a much bigger deal of this than the players.

Yes, he is going to go to a not very good team, but that will happen regardless of when he comes out. Nobody is going to give the NBA champions the first draft pick!

Would he like to win a national championship? Sure, but there are absolutely no guarantees (witness Duke 1999).

Does he love Duke? I think so. But not the same way we did when we were kids. Duke is a part of the business plan, and it would be very bad business for him to come back.

I have hoped against hope that this would be like the foot injury to Elton or Carlos. I'm afraid it is much more serious than that, and there is less than a 1% chance that he is ever going to wear a Duke jersey again. (Sorry, Ozzie)

Is it a right or wrong decision? The problem with asking that question is that it can only be answered in retrospect. He stays, has a brilliant year, wins the National Championship, and goes #1 in the next draft... terrific. But what happens if he stays, and the 8th game into the season he hurts his toe and can't play? That is just too big a risk here.

I hope the people who have regular contact with Kyrie are telling him, "I'm behind you regardless of your decision." He needs to hear that and to know that he can leave and still be loved.

weezie
03-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Well said Deb. I wish we could lock this thread now.

ACniner
03-04-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm a professor who has taught virtually every player on the team for the last 20 years. I can remember sitting next to Daniel Ewing's girlfriend at his first Duke game and asking her whether Daniel would stay four years. Her answer? Why would he?! And I knew that there had been a fundamental change in attitude about alma mater vs all the money!

There have been a few kids I was absolutely certain would play four years from the moment they set foot on Coach K floor (not including the Laettners and Hurleys and Hills who played during a time when the vast majority didn't leave): Shane Battier, Chris Duhon, JJ Redick, Shelden Williams, JOn Lance and Zoubs, and (I confess) Mike Dunleavy. Then there were only a few I thought might stay but also might go: Gerald Henderson and Josh McRoberts headed that list. (so I get a few wrong!) Then there were the "definitely out of here" guys like Elton, Corey and Luol.

Since watching Kyrie in the first game, I have been absolutely certain that he would leave at the end of this year. I have never wavered in that belief, though I would truly love to be wrong. After all, why should he stay?

He's never going to graduate, so a jersey in the rafters isn't a possibility.

Who cares that he didn't get to play in the Carolina game? Come on, the fans make a much bigger deal of this than the players.

Yes, he is going to go to a not very good team, but that will happen regardless of when he comes out. Nobody is going to give the NBA champions the first draft pick!

Would he like to win a national championship? Sure, but there are absolutely no guarantees (witness Duke 1999).

Does he love Duke? I think so. But not the same way we did when we were kids. Duke is a part of the business plan, and it would be very bad business for him to come back.

I have hoped against hope that this would be like the foot injury to Elton or Carlos. I'm afraid it is much more serious than that, and there is less than a 1% chance that he is ever going to wear a Duke jersey again. (Sorry, Ozzie)

Is it a right or wrong decision? The problem with asking that question is that it can only be answered in retrospect. He stays, has a brilliant year, wins the National Championship, and goes #1 in the next draft... terrific. But what happens if he stays, and the 8th game into the season he hurts his toe and can't play? That is just too big a risk here.

I hope the people who have regular contact with Kyrie are telling him, "I'm behind you regardless of your decision." He needs to hear that and to know that he can leave and still be loved.

Agreed. An elite few get to live the dream and make a living playing basketball in the NBA. Many of these kids are forced to attend school for a year to wait and fulfill this dream. On the path to this dream, at any point are you told you are a top five pick, you seize the moment. I know there are some who return to school, but that is a minority handful of players who do it. I'm definitely becoming a fan of the team that drafts Kyrie.

dukeballboy88
03-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Kyrie has to know that if he leaves he will never play for a coach better than K. He will never play in a place that consumes itself with basketball the way Duke does. He will never play in front of better fans than the crazies again and, he will eventually get to the nba even if he comes back. Ive ben broke all my life whats 1 more year to wait. Coming back will make him better in every way on and off the court and I think he needs another year to work on his shot. Kyrie could go to the NBA off production, but right now its off potential!

Id stay for sure, it aint nothing but money. Money comes and goes and it will be there after his sophmore year at Duke.

Devil's Advocate
03-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Knowing what I knew at 20 I'd be gone. Knowing what I know now, I'd definitely stay. I agree with others that the era for young players is very different now, but hindsight continues to be pretty accurate.

Rogue
03-05-2011, 10:55 AM
As often as Deb is correct,, at least she's missed one or two. ( Dunleavy, I still have a hard time with that one ) ..
So, Kyrie doesn't know me,, I don't know him.. he is a student and basketball player for my team. So I can be selfish and say HE SHOULD STAY..
He isn't selfish if he leaves,, but he knows,, he does me no good leaveing.. Just like he thinks about himself,, I think about me. THIS IS ABOUT ME,, HE STAYS.:cool:

Indoor66
03-05-2011, 11:10 AM
As often as Deb is correct,, at least she's missed one or two. ( Dunleavy, I still have a hard time with that one ) ..
So, Kyrie doesn't know me,, I don't know him.. he is a student and basketball player for my team. So I can be selfish and say HE SHOULD STAY..
He isn't selfish if he leaves,, but he knows,, he does me no good leaveing.. Just like he thinks about himself,, I think about me. THIS IS ABOUT ME,, HE STAYS.:cool:

What is with the two commas? An ee cummings protest?

PADukeMom
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Okay now I am confused but I thought Daniel Ewing stayed at Duke for 4 years?

MCFinARL
03-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Me too--maybe the girlfriend didn't know everything. (And maybe, since it was early in his career, and she was, after all, his girlfriend, she overestimated his attractiveness to NBA teams.)

MCFinARL
03-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Kyrie has to know that if he leaves he will never play for a coach better than K. He will never play in a place that consumes itself with basketball the way Duke does. He will never play in front of better fans than the crazies again and, he will eventually get to the nba even if he comes back. Ive ben broke all my life whats 1 more year to wait. Coming back will make him better in every way on and off the court and I think he needs another year to work on his shot. Kyrie could go to the NBA off production, but right now its off potential!

Id stay for sure, it aint nothing but money. Money comes and goes and it will be there after his sophmore year at Duke.

Sure--if he doesn't get injured again. But that is a real risk, and not one he can take without thinking it through. In the end, it's going to come down to what Kyrie balancing that risk against whatever Kyrie can achieve or experience by coming back to Duke. Much as we might like to see him decide otherwise, we can hardly blame him if he decides the risk is too big to take.

turnandburn55
03-05-2011, 12:34 PM

We may have loved Daniel Ewing, but let's face it, he was never in any danger of being a lottery pick, much less the #1 overall. If even he was harboring thoughts of beating feet before graduating, then it appears we know a lot less about the mindset of a student-athlete than we think we do...

The flip side is that J-Will did come back as well after being talked about as a lock for the #1 pick. A lot of similar motivators here... the desire to get the shot to do some serious damage to the college b-ball landscape and to play with your buddies another year.

For all the talk about how college is more of a "job", a lot of the young guys who go pro say exactly the opposite... playing with dudes you don't know on a team you didn't decide for yourself you wanted to play for, many of whom are older than you, being in a new city, always on the road, 82 games, losing a lot of them. Methinks the job aspect of the NBA is a lot more serious than college.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM
... there is less than a 1% chance that he is ever going to wear a Duke jersey again. (Sorry, Ozzie)
Deb, before reading your post, I voted he should go pro. Surprised? It's really the only logical decision he can make. But I hope he makes an emotional decision and stays at Duke for another year. But I don't think his dad will let him make that mistake.

DukeDevilDeb
03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Deb, before reading your post, I voted he should go pro. Surprised? It's really the only logical decision he can make. But I hope he makes an emotional decision and stays at Duke for another year. But I don't think his dad will let him make that mistake.

You and I want exactly the same thing, Ozzie! A win tonight (Go Devils!) and Kyrie back.

Just don't think the latter is going to happen.

johnny2001
03-05-2011, 03:11 PM
we will win the championship without him...he will leave after this year...duke will remain duke, kyrie will make a few million and in duke's history join the ranks of well, i would say...sean livingston! yeah, sean didn't play at all at duke. but 8 games doesn't get you historical relevance at duke. twitter away kyrie...we know you're gone!

MCFinARL
03-05-2011, 03:18 PM
The flip side is that J-Will did come back as well after being talked about as a lock for the #1 pick. A lot of similar motivators here... the desire to get the shot to do some serious damage to the college b-ball landscape and to play with your buddies another year.

Yes, although in J-Will's case, by coming back for a third year, he was able to complete his undergraduate degree (using summer classes both before and after the third year, I think)--which was, I believe, very important to his education-oriented family. In this way, at least, his situation was different from Kyrie's.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2011, 03:19 PM
we will win the championship without him...he will leave after this year...duke will remain duke, kyrie will make a few million and in duke's history join the ranks of well, i would say...sean livingston! yeah, sean didn't play at all at duke. but 8 games doesn't get you historical relevance at duke. twitter away kyrie...we know you're gone!
Sean and Kyrie could have been two of the best point guards ever to play at Duke, but there is a HUGE difference between them. Kyrie showed up, gave us his all and became a became invested in the team, Sean gave us zero.

johnny2001
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Sean and Kyrie could have been two of the best point guards ever to play at Duke, but there is a HUGE difference between them. Kyrie showed up, gave us his all and became a became invested in the team, Sean gave us zero.

true. however, in many years when we look back on pt guards at duke...both their names will not be spoken. that's a fact...if kyrie goes pro after playing 250 minutes of duke basketball.

jdk
03-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Of course, he is a huge part of the team as is evidenced by his constant cheering on the sidelines, and the loose interaction with other players publicly viewable on DBP. He may never play another game in a Duke uniform, but he is very much a part of the team. Livingston, Humphries, Felix etc never even bothered to show up. Kyrie is very proud to put on the uniform and cheer for the Blue Devils.

Duke might win the championship without Kyrie ever suiting up, but they will not win "without" him as you put it, so long as he is cheering on the sidelines. He still gets a ring and a piece of the net if we are so fortunate to be cutting them down next month.

johnny2001
03-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Of course, he is a huge part of the team as is evidenced by his constant cheering on the sidelines, and the loose interaction with other players publicly viewable on DBP. He may never play another game in a Duke uniform, but he is very much a part of the team. Livingston, Humphries, Felix etc never even bothered to show up. Kyrie is very proud to put on the uniform and cheer for the Blue Devils.

Duke might win the championship without Kyrie ever suiting up, but they will not win "without" him as you put it, so long as he is cheering on the sidelines. He still gets a ring and a piece of the net if we are so fortunate to be cutting them down next month.

by without him i literally meant without him physically playing. you are introducing a deeper meaning to the term. sure, cheering and supporting is a great thing. playing is another. i mean where would duke be without cameron indoor and all the great fans in the seats there too? as long as he keeps nolan happy cheering on the sidelines i'm all good. and from the shots of the bench on tv that seems to be the case.

jdk
03-05-2011, 06:40 PM
by without him i literally meant without him physically playing. you are introducing a deeper meaning to the term. sure, cheering and supporting is a great thing. playing is another. i mean where would duke be without cameron indoor and all the great fans in the seats there too? as long as he keeps nolan happy cheering on the sidelines i'm all good. and from the shots of the bench on tv that seems to be the case.

The difference between Kyrie and Livingston is impact. Kyrie suited up in uniform, played until it was beyond his control, and was a vocal leader even after injury. You say that we should not speak of Kyrie as a Duke player when he leaves next month, but I contend that he has fully made this team better off, both before the injury and after. Further, he has seemingly opened the floodgates for elite guards wanting to play at Duke again. Remember when he committed, Duke had just gone through an epic flame out in the Sweet Sixteen, had been turned down year after year by elite players, and had four players transfer in two seasons. Kids had never seen an uptempo Duke team; now we are loaded with elite guards who want to run other teams out of the building the next couple of years.

Livingston, OTOH, only ever gave us a what-if scenario. Depending on who you ask, his negative impact ranges from us not having the missing piece in 2005, to a five year drought of not being title contender at the other extreme. In any case, Livingston never did anything to help Duke basketball.

weezie
03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Livingston never did anything to help Duke basketball.

Who?! That's got to be the answer to a Trivial Pursuit (also admittedly dated) question. :rolleyes:

MartyMcJames
03-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I love watching Kyrie play for Duke. I loved even more watching him handle his injury and continuing to be a part of the team. But there is no way he should come back. Selfishly, I want him to play with Austin, but regardless of a lockout, he will be too high a draft pick to not go. I voted yes.

Buckeye Devil
03-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I vote yes simply because I would be afraid of getting a worse injury next year. Plus, it's debateable whether or not Duke is a Final 4 caliber team next year.

richardjackson199
03-06-2011, 05:56 PM
If I were Kyrie, I would come back to Duke. If you go pro now - you get the money now. If you go pro next year - you get the money next year. The money will definitely be there for a player like Kyrie. But playing for Duke is a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Duke college experience is once in a lifetime. He has yet to really live it. If he passed that up - he would always regret it. How amazing would it have been? He would always wonder. He got a taste of how amazing it can be, but he never got to experience it. The chance to lead Duke to the National Championship and to win national player of the year, being on the cover of all the mags would be nice. But the experience to play in a backcourt with Austin Rivers; to have teammates like Josh, Tyler, Mason, Miles, Ryan, Marshall, Seth, Mike, and Dre; and to play for and learn from the best college basketball coach of all time is too much to pass up. Some things in life are worth much more than money. This one isn't even close. And if you come back to Duke - you still get all the money one year later when you leave. Kyrie has too much heart to play with old professional teammates who don't care about winning. They care about their paycheck and their stats. The NBA is a business. This is why the whole nation loves college basketball and follows it passionately. (And why most of the nation ignores the NBA regular season - it's passionless). And cleveland is the armpit of the midwest. If Kyrie comes back - he'll know it was worth it when he leads Duke to victory over Carolina, when he makes the Crazies explode into ecstatic bliss, when Coach K captains the journey, and when he leads and experiences that journey with teammates (brothers) he loves. It would be a very wise decision to say - "Yessir, I'm coming back to Duke! It's my life and I want to live the college dream, first, and then realize the NBA dream in the next phase of my life." Coming back to Duke is the only way to get everything he wants out of life - to accomplish all his goals - which are realistic for him.
That said - I will fully respect his decision and cheer for him either way. If it were me - I'd come back to Duke for one more year for the reasons above. I'd live the Duke dream to the fullest, and make all my life's dreams come true. I'd have unfinished business at Duke. I wouldn't give UNC fans the satisfaction of never having to play me. But I'll respect whatever Kyrie chooses. I hope he considers the wonderful opportunity, journey, friendships, mentorships, and life experience he would have by coming back to Duke. I hope he realizes that everything he wants in the NBA will be right there one year from now. But I'll leave that up to Kyrie. If I were Kyrie Irving and had that kid's heart, I would come back to Duke and live it up. Yessir!

SoCalDukeFan
03-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I voted that I would leave but on careful reflection I would stay.

You can only go to college once as an 18-22 year old The money will be there later. Maybe you don't stay four years, but you ought to stay for 2 or 3.

Do you like Duke and your life at Duke? Can your family get along without big money now? Are you learning as a player? If you answer yes to all of these questions, then I would say you come back.

SoCal

richardjackson199
03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
...As much as I (Kyrie) loves Duke and as much as I (Kyrie) want to play with one of my best friends and be coached by the greatest living bball coach, the guarantee of millions would just be too much. And, although I (Kyrie) understand the unlikelihood of another season-ending injury, the name "Robbie Hummel" would give me enough incentive to not risk a career-ending injury.

If it were me, I would disagree with this kind of logic. If you never take risks in life, you never live life. I wouldn't let a risk like that prevent me from achieving my goals and living my dreams to the fullest. That's like never experiencing Hawaii because you won't take the risk of getting on the plane. Citing "Robbie Hummel" is like saying well there is a risk the plane will crash if I go to Hawaii, so I'll play it safe and never go. Because once upon a time a plane did crash. If you look at the numbers, season-ending injuries are pretty rare, and you can get insurance policies. It makes much more sense to me to have faith, do what you know is right, take some risks, live your life to the fullest, and have no regrets. The dream of playing in the NBA will be there next year. But Kyrie has to do what's right for his life. I just wouldn't let a rare risk of worst case scenario keep you from living life to the fullest. Look at best case scenario of what you'd be giving up if you don't take the risk. Then make the right decision.

toooskies
03-06-2011, 07:16 PM
I don't think the risk of injury plays any part. At the same time you could argue, why play basketball in between high school and college at all? You might get hurt!

The main reason to come back, though, is it's a long road from college champion to pro champioin, and it's hard to live the NBA lifestyle while you aren't even 21 yet. Being a top-flight prospect just makes the road longer. John Wall isn't close to sniffing the playoffs, let alone legitimately contending for the championship.

If you want a chance to be a winner on a national stage, you stay.

wsb3
03-07-2011, 08:16 AM
I would ask for a medical redshirt, and play 4 more seasons. Nothing could beat playing for Duke four more years. Who needs all those millions of dollars? ;)

DevilWearsPrada
03-07-2011, 11:59 AM
From the NBA career money side of the coin.. I said Yes for Kyrie to the NBA. He is expected to be a lottery pick. He is young and can go to college when he wants to.

Whatever, Kyrie and His Dad want, thats what I want for him also. I voted YES to the NBA, because thats what I feel, he wants to do!

I would love for the kid to stay at Duke 2 or 3 years, even 4. But I dont want to be selfish for the embetterment of the team.

Kyrie, the best in whatever, you choose!