PDA

View Full Version : Question about this year's Sr. class home record

patentgeek
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I heard last night that the Duke hoops class of 2011 (Singler, Smith and Peters) compiled a home record of 65-2 over their four years. I was trying to recall a Duke class that had put together a better four-year record, but wasn't able to come up with anything better (for example, Battier's class (1998-2001) lost at least four times at home that I can remember, although they put up a remarkable road record). Can anyone else identify a better home court record for a Duke class?

basket1544
03-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I think Christian and the 92 senior class was 56-2 for their career at home. That's just about as good.

uh_no
03-04-2011, 12:31 AM
I heard last night that the Duke hoops class of 2011 (Singler, Smith and Peters) compiled a home record of 65-2 over their four years. I was trying to recall a Duke class that had put together a better four-year record, but wasn't able to come up with anything better (for example, Battier's class (1998-2001) lost at least four times at home that I can remember, although they put up a remarkable road record). Can anyone else identify a better home court record for a Duke class?

66-2

I think, honestly, that part of this is that the ACC has not been as strong the past few years (carolina obviously withholding), as It has been in the past. This, of course, is not to detract from their amazing accomplishment.

sagegrouse
03-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Not quite as high a percentage, but still only one loss in their three-year careers, when freshmen were not eligible:

1964 (Mullins, Buckley and Harrison) 32-1

1963 (Heyman) 30-1

sagegrouse

4decadedukie
03-04-2011, 06:15 AM
I think Christian and the 92 senior class was 56-2 for their career at home. That's just about as good.

All amazing accomplishments, from both '92 and '11, to be revered. However -- and I cannot say that I have researched this very thoroughly -- my memory suggest that in the pre-ACC season we now play tougher opponents (home, away and neutral), due to Coach K's desire to sharpen the team quickly with really competitive games (and also, perhaps, due to the RPI's post-season influences).

uh_no
03-04-2011, 01:59 PM
All amazing accomplishments, from both '92 and '11, to be revered. However -- and I cannot say that I have researched this very thoroughly -- my memory suggest that in the pre-ACC season we now play tougher opponents (home, away and neutral), due to Coach K's desire to sharpen the team quickly with really competitive games (and also, perhaps, due to the RPI's post-season influences).

And sometimes, the top competition we want to schedule all falls flat on its face! no one is going to want to schedule us anymore!

NSDukeFan
03-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Congratulations if you called this home record when Kyle and Nolan joined a team that had just gone 22-11 the previous year, lost its best big man to the pros and only had one senior.

4decadedukie
03-05-2011, 06:45 AM
And sometimes, the top competition we want to schedule all falls flat on its face! no one is going to want to schedule us anymore!

Well, actually, everyone wants to schedule Duke; not only are we a perennial top team with a three-decade stellar reputation, but NOTHING fills the venue, ensures media coverage, and brings in revenue like facing the Blue Devils (and that is critical to ADs and Coaches).

Jarhead
03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, actually, everyone wants to schedule Duke; not only are we a perennial top team with a three-decade stellar reputation, but NOTHING fills the venue, ensures media coverage, and brings in revenue like facing the Blue Devils (and that is critical to ADs and Coaches).

Slight correction... You forgot the Vic Bubas decade.