PDA

View Full Version : The Kings' Speech(es)

downtowndevil
03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
For those of us too delirious on the couch post game from a combo of cocktails/late hour/sleep deprivation to realize until it was too late you had to register & buy a premium membership on goduke.com and not having espn3 set up could someone paraphrase the speeches and the crowd post game?

I saw on their twitter feed yesterday that dbp hopes to be able to get them online if they got a good recording last night. Dying to hear all about the postgame doings this morning.

Thanks!

cspan37421
03-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Try replaying the game on ESPN3.com. In real time, they just kept broadcasting from Cameron after the game and after a few minutes the guys came out.

Working from middle aged memory here -

all thanked their parents & family, and Cameron as a great place to play with the best fans

Casey Peters was fairly emotional, thanking his teammates, the fans (best in the world), referred to Nolan and Kyle as his brothers, a ended with an "I love you, man" and began to get a bit verklempt.

Kyle took his time to point out how great the crazies were to play in front of - pointing to the person in an Incredibles costume, "Which Incredible are you?" And then he said that he liked the guy with the dinosaur or dragon hat (and the guy was obviously titillated by being so called out). He gave a shout out to the class of 2011, then said 2011-2012, then corrected himself, and finished with "whatever it is - and a shout out to all the classes." Said there were no words to truly express his thanks to the fans, other than to say thank you.

Nolan noted that they had lost just two at Cameron during his four years, but that they won a whole lot more. [indeed, not too shabby!]. Like the other two he praised the Cameron crowd and thanked his family. He ended with a "I'm not going to say goodbye yet, because I'll be back." With no more games scheduled, I guess he must have been referring to bringing back a championship trophy or something like that. I'm sure he'd be back for the basketball banquet, but I don't think that's what he meant by the comment.

It was interesting to me that Casey was by far the most choked up. Being part of the team this year and last, after what - having been team manager, and walking on (not like he wasn't a HS star, though), then getting a scholarship? Things really worked out for him, esp. last year, and hopefully this year. He probably could have played 4 years of scholarship ball in any number of solid programs. He came here with no promises, just a determination and a hope, and so far, to the greatest extent possible, it's been realized for him (and us). So all kudos to him. Maybe it will hit Nolan and Kyle later, maybe they're just more stoic. Anyway, nice to see.

stillcrazie
03-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I set myself up on espn3 last night, but it was too late to watch the speeches live, so I watched the replay of the speeches this a.m. at the end of the game replay. It takes a few minutes to set it up, and whether or not you get access depends on your cable provider. Totally worth a try!!!

stillcrazie
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/

Gthoma2a
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I love these guys. They deserve every ounce of respect we can muster. They have been great players, great representatives of the University, and, above all else, great people. I hope they get another championship, because with the effort they put in, to see it end any other way would upset me (for them) as much as it would them. I see them as the sign of good still being a part of college basketball. They prove that the fire within them is worth more than the paycheck a year early. I salute them.

PADukeMom
03-03-2011, 09:43 AM
I will have to watch the speeches tonight. I cried when Nolan & the Kyle came out. 4 years is just not enough time.

UrinalCake
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Excellent recap by cspan. A couple other notes:

- after the three made their speeches, Nolan walked over to his mom and gave her a kiss. Aww....
- also, when Nolan was finished there was this period of everyone sort of standing around and not knowing what to do, and you could overhear Kyrie saying "I want to make a speech." Sounded like he was just clowning around though.

PADukeMom
03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Excellent recap by cspan. A couple other notes:

- after the three made their speeches, Nolan walked over to his mom and gave her a kiss. Aww....
- also, when Nolan was finished there was this period of everyone sort of standing around and not knowing what to do, and you could overhear Kyrie saying "I want to make a speech." Sounded like he was just clowning around though.

Well that's obvioulsy in error since I have now officially adopted Nolan. I'll give Nolan's Mom both of my sons in exchange. j/k

That is cool though. It's the reason I have crazy love for Nolan.