Chris Singleton

3rd team:

Joe Trapani
Harrison Barnes
Malcolm Grant
Demontez Stitt
Reggie Johnson

COY: Whoever wins Saturday

IMO, the last spot on the first team is a toss-up between Singler, Allen, Henson and Zeller, but I think Singler gets it thanks to his career reputation if nothing else. And that third team has got to be one of the weakest ever.

Lastly, in a refreshing change, here's K getting some love for COY from Eamonn Brennan: http://espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/24597/casting-our-ballots-acc

Bluedog
03-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Lastly, in a refreshing change, here's K getting some love for COY from Eamonn Brennan: http://espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/24597/casting-our-ballots-acc

It's not only Brennan giving K some love. Here are the various ESPN picks for ACC POY and COY:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172684

9 out of 15 chose Coach K. 1 chose Roy...I HIGHLY doubt the ACC/North Carolina media will give K the award though, but who knows. I don't think there are any other great candidates out there and K has done a masterful job of re-tooling his team after Kyrie went down.

Nolan is a lock for POY.

Nolan, Delany, and Williams are locks for first team. I don't think Jackson will make first team. I actually think it will be Singler and Zeller eeking out Allen, Shumpert, and Singleton (or is he completely out of it now that he's injured?). I like the three aforementioned and Jackson on the second team...the 5th guy? Trapani I guess.

Greg_Newton
03-03-2011, 03:11 AM
It's not only Brennan giving K some love. Here are the various ESPN picks for ACC POY and COY:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172684

9 out of 15 chose Coach K. 1 chose Roy...I HIGHLY doubt the ACC/North Carolina media will give K the award though, but who knows. I don't think there are any other great candidates out there and K has done a masterful job of re-tooling his team after Kyrie went down.

Wow, nice. Honestly, I'd be okay with Roy getting it if they beat us Saturday though. Granted, the reason his team was in such a bad place was his own fault, but if they finish up 14-2 and 1st in the ACC it'd be pretty hard to argue with giving it to him...

They could also finish in first place without have any first-team All-ACCers - I wonder when the last time that happened was, if ever?

superdave
03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Could Henson make 1st team over Zeller? It's a possiblity. I think Henson is a much better defender.

Also, with Singleton missing so many games, I think DPOY could be between Henson and Singler.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Could Henson make 1st team over Zeller? It's a possiblity. I think Henson is a much better defender.

Also, with Singleton missing so many games, I think DPOY could be between Henson and Singler.

With HB's late game heroics, I think this is certainly a possibility. What I could see working against HB's 1st team honors is the fact that he was terrible during the first third of the season despite all the pre-seasons love and, even though the ACC shouldn't take that into consideration, I have a feeling they will.

superdave
03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
With HB's late game heroics, I think this is certainly a possibility. What I could see working against HB's 1st team honors is the fact that he was terrible during the first third of the season despite all the pre-seasons love and, even though the ACC shouldn't take that into consideration, I have a feeling they will.

No, I'm saying Gumby...aka John Henson for 1st team All-ACC. I think the press is fascinated with him and his defense is the best asset Unc's had all year. Barnes shooting %'s are too low for him to make 1st. Henson over Zeller? It's a possiblity. I do think they wind up 6th and 7th in voting though and make 2nd team.

JasonEvans
03-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Carolina will finish, at worst, 2nd place in the ACC. I think the media will reward their best player, Tyler Zeller, by putting him on the first team.

I think the first team will be: Smith, Delaney, Williams, Zeller, and Singler.

-Jason "Henson makes the 2nd team, Skypeboy wins ROY" Evans

Class of '94
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Carolina will finish, at worst, 2nd place in the ACC. I think the media will reward their best player, Tyler Zeller, by putting him on the first team.

If HB wins the ROY award, I think that would bother me alot. Not because of the bad history he has with Duke during recruiting; but rather it reminds me that it would and should have been Kyrie if he was healthy and didn't get injured. With all due respect to Barnes, a healthy Kyrie Irving is the best freshman in the ACC and arguably the best freshman in the country.

superdave
03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

I think Henson is their best player:

Zeller - 14.6 - 7.2 - 34 blocks - 54% fg
Henson - 11.3 - 9.6 - 92 blocks - 52% fg

I also think the media just loves Henson for whatever reason - the long arms, dominating blocks. I could be wrong, but I could see half the voters talking themselves into it. Of course, I wouldnt bet on it...but it's a fun argument.

Duke: A Dynasty
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I think it would be hard to keep Zeller off first team. I honestly think Roy will be COY. This is a only because he turned the team around from last year, 2 guys left before the year started, 1 kicked off the team and 1 left mid-season yet here they are tied for 1st place with Duke.

03-03-2011, 01:44 PM

My exact thoughts as well. Ya think Barnes may make 2nd team instead of 3rd team if he has a decent game against us? His whole body of work is not overwhelming but he has a bunch of clutch shots and has been coming on strong lately.

---Not like its hard to move up to 2nd team considering how bad the acc is this year---

JasonEvans
03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
My exact thoughts as well. Ya think Barnes may make 2nd team instead of 3rd team if he has a decent game against us? His whole body of work is not overwhelming but he has a bunch of clutch shots and has been coming on strong lately.

---Not like its hard to move up to 2nd team considering how bad the acc is this year---

2nd team for Barnes? No way do I see that. I'd be skeptical of him making the 3rd team too. Henson and Zeller are, to me, both clearly ahead of him and there are a lot of teams in the conference with guys more deserving than the 3rd best player on UNC (who, despite some late-game heroics, has largely been very disappointing this season and has a horrid shooting percentage).

-Jason "I may be discounting the media love of Barnes-- ESPN has featured him endlessly in the past 16 hours" Evans

superdave
03-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Who do you guys think will be All-Defense? Here's some stats.

The best defensive teams by PPG, FG % Defense and KenPom AdjD national ranking are:
Clem -60.4 -.402 - 12
UVA - 62.3 -.439 - 76
FSU - 62.6 -.365 - 5
VPI - 62.9 -.410 - 32
Duke- 63.7 -.397 - 2
MD - 66.8 -.402 - 16
Unc - 67.2 -.401 - 4

Defensive Rebounds per game-
8.0 - Jordan Williams
7.4 - Jeff Allen
6.5 - Henson
6.2 - Mason

Steals-
70 - Shumpert
53 - Singleton
52 - Kitchen

Blocks-
93 - Henson
77 - Ty Walker

I'd probably go Singleton, Henson, Singler, Kitchen and Williams (in that order). Can Singleton still get DPOY even though he missed the last 3 weeks?

03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
2nd team for Barnes? No way do I see that. I'd be skeptical of him making the 3rd team too. Henson and Zeller are, to me, both clearly ahead of him and there are a lot of teams in the conference with guys more deserving than the 3rd best player on UNC (who, despite some late-game heroics, has largely been very disappointing this season and has a horrid shooting percentage).

-Jason "I may be discounting the media love of Barnes-- ESPN has featured him endlessly in the past 16 hours" Evans

That is what I am basing most of it on but he is averaging decent numbers.

28 mins
14ppg
5.5 rpg
1.5 ast
.5 stl
.5 blk
and shooting just over 40% is not that bad in college

Add in the fact that he has gotten a lot better over the last month or so, the media hype, and his clutch shots I think he has a good chance at making 2nd team with Henson.

UrinalCake
03-03-2011, 09:51 PM
So far nobody thinks Kendall Marshall belongs anywhere on this list... I'd put him on the third team. And I think you could make a case for him as freshman of the year over Barnes.

No way Coach K is going to win COY, even though he deserves equal consideration as Roy. There's this perception that UNC has overachived this year, which is a complete crock. They have as much talent as anyone in the conference, including Duke. The only reason people think they've overachieved is because Roy did such a gawdawful job last year that expectations were low coming into this season.

Greg_Newton
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
I think Henson is their best player:

Zeller - 14.6 - 7.2 - 34 blocks - 54% fg
Henson - 11.3 - 9.6 - 92 blocks - 52% fg

I also think the media just loves Henson for whatever reason - the long arms, dominating blocks. I could be wrong, but I could see half the voters talking themselves into it. Of course, I wouldnt bet on it...but it's a fun argument.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Henson and Zeller "split the vote" if UNC finishes second, and both end up in the 6-8th range. I think you could make a legitimate, but not overwhelming argument for either.

Interesting how UNC has 3-4 All-ACC caliber players, but no one quite deserving of first-team on their own merit.

ACCBBallFan
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I pretty much agree with the OP.

Since it's verboten for me to link to THR, I will just cut and paste the whole thing:

Excluding Chris Singleton who has been injured for several games, the ACC Fantasy points metrics support:

29.90 Nolan Smith
29.90 Jordan Williams
27.10 Iman Shumpert
26.80 Reggie Jackson
25.40 Jeff Allen

25.00 Malcolm Delaney
25.00 Kyle Singler
23.20 Tyler Zeller
23.10 John Henson
22.90 Joe Trapani

22.80 Reggie Johnson
21.70 Glen Rice Jr
21.60 Jerai Grant
21.40 Demontez Stitt
21.30 Travis McKie

20.50 Corey Raji
20.00 Harrison Barnes
20.00 Tracy Smith
19.50 CJ Leslie
19.20 Durand Scott

18.70 Derwin Kitchen
18.40 Malcolm Grant

However, I would be very surprised if neither Delaney nor Singler were on the first 5, since they rank so high on all time ACC points scored

http://www.scacchoops.com/ACCRecords.asp

Singler is # 10, Delaney #22. Nolan # 73 and Allen # 110 and each have several more games to move up some more.

If you look at points plus assists plus rebounds all time:

Rank Player School Total Points Assists Rebounds
1 Hansbrough, Tyler UNC 4,257 2,872 154 1,231
2 Duncan, Tim WAKE 3,975 2,117 288 1,570
3 Sampson, Ralph VIRGINIA 3,895 2,227 157 1,511
4 Laettner, Christian DUKE 3,882 2,460 273 1,149
5 Gminski, Mike DUKE 3,693 2,323 128 1,242

6 Ferry, Danny DUKE 3,664 2,155 506 1,003
7 Dawkins, Johnny DUKE 3,647 2,556 555 536
8 Vasquez, Greivis Maryland 3,590 2,171 772 647
9 Stith, Bryant VIRGINIA 3,589 2,514 216 859
10 Singler, Kyle DUKE 3,532 2,289 281 962

For ACC only stats:

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/confonly.html#conf.wki

Here the top ACC only total rank ordering all categories with equal weight:

60 - Malcolm Delaney
56 - Nolan Smith
44 - Reggie Jackson
41 - Iman Shumpert
39 - Jordan Williams

37 tie - Kyle Singler
37 tie - Jeff Allen
30 - Demontez Stitt
29 - John Henson
27 - Malcolm Grant

25 - Durand Scott
24 - Tyler Zeller
23 - Reggie Johnson
22 - Joe Trapani
21 - Mason Plumlee

19 - Kendall Marshall

16 tie - Harrison Barnes
16 tie - Tracy Smith (inured first several games and a senior)
16 tie - Terrence Stoughlin (surprisingly high)
16 tie - Assane Sene (more than surprising)

15 - Jerai Grant (plays well vs. everybody but UNC twice)

14 tie - Glen Rice
14 tie - Corey Raji

13 tie - Travis McKie
13 tie - Joe Harris
13 tie - Erick Green

A lot depends on what voters value with seniors faring better due to name recognition over the years and freshmen faring worse by being placed on all Freshmen team instead.

How many sympathy votes Chris Singleton gets is anybody's guess.

My guess Delaney, Nolan Smith and Singler are locks, then Jordan Williams plus one of Shumpert/Jackson.

Second team other of Jackson/Shumpert, Allen, Zeller, Henson, and one of Trapani/Stitt, but it does not go by position.

Third team other of Stitt/Trapani, Malcolm Grant, Durand Scott, Reggie Johnson and Glen Rice Jr.

Honorable mention: Corey Raji, Tracy Smith, Jerai Grant, Terrence Stoughlin and Chris Singleton, plus if not limited to 5 , Derwin Kitchen, Mustapha Farrakhan or Mason Plumlee or some frosh.

All Frosh: Harrison Barnes, Kendall Marshall, Travis McKie, Lorenzo Brown and C J Leslie or possibly Joe Harris or Bernard James.

A lot of these guys are candidates for all defensive team too, especially Henson, Shumpert, Stitt, Singler, and Nolan Smith, and Singleton had he not been injured so much.

Dexter Strickland may deserve some consideration but UNC defense is often under valued. Delaney is a better defender than he is given credit for too, again due to his reputation for offense.

Terrell Bell is very good too but suffers from lack of exposure since VA Tech is rarely televised.

Delaware
03-04-2011, 12:14 AM
COY = K (im assuming a win Saturday!)
POY = Nolan
ROY = Barnes
DPOY = Henson

1st Team: Nolan, J. Williams, Delaney, Singler, Zeller
2nd Team: R. Jackson, Allen, Shumpert, Grant, Henson
3rd Team: Barnes, Stitt, Singleton, R. Johnson, Trapani

MCFinARL
03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
So far nobody thinks Kendall Marshall belongs anywhere on this list... I'd put him on the third team. And I think you could make a case for him as freshman of the year over Barnes.

No way Coach K is going to win COY, even though he deserves equal consideration as Roy. There's this perception that UNC has overachived this year, which is a complete crock. They have as much talent as anyone in the conference, including Duke. The only reason people think they've overachieved is because Roy did such a gawdawful job last year that expectations were low coming into this season.

Re Marshall, I agree--he has made the difference this year for UNC, more than Barnes. Once he became the starter, things started going much better. For that matter, who's to say he isn't partially responsible for Barnes's improvement as the season has gone on, since a better-run offense with smarter PG decisions is likely to help any offensive player's performance? But I actually expect that the ROY will probably be Barnes, just because he has the name.

Re K and Roy, I think K deserves more consideration than Roy, but I agree he probably won't get it. If Roy gets it, he can probably thank Kendall Marshall too--although I could argue that taking as long as he did to figure out he should be starting Marshall is a big item in the minus column. Roy had a higher ranked freshman recruiting class this year than K, even before we lost Kyrie to injury. And while he has lost some players from last year's team, he lost most of them to transfer and dismissal from the team, where K lost players to graduation. (Maybe technically not relevant to choosing COY, but something to think about.) And as you noted, Roy has raised the level of his team's accomplishment this year only because he did such a bad job with last year's very talented team.

gw67
03-04-2011, 08:17 AM
AABBallFan,

Thanks for the various rackups. I agree with you that Singler will be on 1st team more for his career than for this season.

Humor me. What is THR? Why can’t you link? Is it your own site?

Terrence Stoughlin = Terrell Stoglin?

Stoglin is a real talent who has been a substitute for much of the season and has been a permanent starter for the last seven games during which he has averaged nearly 21 ppg and 5.5 apg. For the season, he is averaging 11.7 ppg in less than 21 mpg. He deserves to be on the All Freshmen team, IMO.

gw67

dukelifer
03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Barnes and Nolan are locks for ROY and POY. Barnes last second heroics will put him over the top and likely send him off to the NBA. COY will likely go to Roy because of perception that he did all this with a lot of departures and now injuries and with the UNC fanbase wanting to get rid of him after the Dec and now wanting to Saint him. I think the Clemson coach has done a fine job with that team with no size. If he had pulled of the UNC or Duke win he might have gotten the nod.

cameroncrazy3104
03-04-2011, 09:28 AM
This might be a stretch but maybe Derwin Kitchen should get some recognition.

davekay1971
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Barnes and Nolan are locks for ROY and POY. Barnes last second heroics will put him over the top and likely send him off to the NBA. COY will likely go to Roy because of perception that he did all this with a lot of departures and now injuries and with the UNC fanbase wanting to get rid of him after the Dec and now wanting to Saint him. I think the Clemson coach has done a fine job with that team with no size. If he had pulled of the UNC or Duke win he might have gotten the nod.

I am hearing around Charlotte radio the rising tide of sentiment for Roy for COY. It's ludicrous. The only losses he's had this year are a problem that he couldn't solve solving itself (Drew the Second) and a reserve shooting guard who couldn't shoot having an unfortunate injury that costs UNC little more than depth. This has not been a year of hardship for UNC. They have 4 probable future NBA caliber players in their starting lineup (Barnes and Henson lottery picks, Zeller and, eventually Marshall). About the most I'll say for Roy is that he's done a good coaching job, but not, IMHO, as impressive as the jobs done by Clemson's, VPI's, or BC's coaches...or even the job done by our own Coach K. In fact, let me make the simple case for K: We've lost the best talent on our team at the most important position on the floor, and he's still kept Duke in the top 5 all year.

03-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I have been listening to sports talk radio all day to day and so far this is what I have gotten out of it.

POY is Nolan no contest

Nolan Smith and Jordan Williams are the only true 1st team locks.

Henson is 1st team because his defense and impact in the middle

ROY is Kendal Marshall and the other guys who could get votes: Barnes, CJ Leslie, the kid from Wake and Marylands pg.

COY Roy Williams is the only one popping up

Singler does not deserve to be 1st team but will more than likely be on there because of his previous three years and he play for Duke

NSDukeFan
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I have been listening to sports talk radio all day to day and so far this is what I have gotten out of it.

POY is Nolan no contest

Nolan Smith and Jordan Williams are the only true 1st team locks.

Henson is 1st team because his defense and impact in the middle

ROY is Kendal Marshall and the other guys who could get votes: Barnes, CJ Leslie, the kid from Wake and Marylands pg.

COY Roy Williams is the only one popping up

Singler does not deserve to be 1st team but will more than likely be on there because of his previous three years and he play for Duke

I realize this may not be your take, but what you have been hearing. I understand that Kyle has not had a national POY-type year but don't understand how the co-captain for the best team in the conference, 5th leading scorer, 12th leading rebounder, outstanding defender, the country's leader in +/- (I think) doesn't deserve to be on the 1st ACC team as a lock this year. Yes, I may be biased, but I don't understand who in the ACC deserves to be ahead of him this year besides Nolan and an argument could be made for Jordan Williams and/or Malcolm Delaney.

gw67
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I doubt that anyone is saying that Singler is not a good ballplayer. Personally, I'd vote him to 1st team because he has had a good season, he is on a top team and he has a splendid career. However, based on a review of the stats in ACC games, I think a case could be made that Shumpert and Jackson along with Delaney and Williams have played a hair better than him in ACC games and that he should be on the 2nd team. I can't imagine that happening.

gw67

superdave
03-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Here's the ACCSports' official ballot (http://www.accsports.com/blogs/jim-young/201103069983/my-2011-all-acc-hoops-ballot.php).

He backs me up on my thought that Henson will get more media love than Zeller. Also, Kyle's cold shooting of late has dropped him to 2nd team.

devildeac
03-07-2011, 10:20 AM
This might be a stretch but maybe Derwin Kitchen should get some recognition.

Only if he/they played Duke 16 games/season.:rolleyes:;)

UrinalCake
03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
First-team All-ACC announced (http://www.accsports.com/wires/201103079988/dukes-nolan-smith-unanimous-all-acc-pick.php)

Nolan Smith
Kyle Singler
Jordan Williams
Malcolm Delaney
Reggie Jackson

superdave
03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
First-team All-ACC announced (http://www.accsports.com/wires/201103079988/dukes-nolan-smith-unanimous-all-acc-pick.php)

Nolan Smith
Kyle Singler
Jordan Williams
Malcolm Delaney
Reggie Jackson

How does Kyle make 1st team all-conference but not the all-defensive team? These voters must not watch our games. His defense this year has been our second best asset this year behind Nolan's scoring ability and would be the best argument for making him all-conference.

Greg_Newton
03-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Are the full teams out anywhere? I read while UNC was the first regular season champion not to place anyone on the first team, they had three players on the second team and one on the third. I wonder which of Marshall or Barnes made second team?

Duvall
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Are the full teams out anywhere? I read while UNC was the first regular season champion not to place anyone on the first team, they had three players on the second team and one on the third. I wonder which of Marshall or Barnes made second team?

Teams (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/030711aad.html).

The real outrage is that there are eleven voters that didn't think Chris Singleton was one of the top five defenders in the ACC. Get serious, people.