PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Bullock Knee Injured - Season Over

CarmenWallaceWade
03-01-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/9197323/

Hated to read this..wish him a quick recovery.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Second operation on the same knee, apparently.

I hope for a full recovery -- we'll take up the rivalry next year.

dukelifer

Hate to see this too. Definitely getting thin at the guard spot at UNC.

DukeGirl4ever
I visited IC for my daily dose of laughter and saw the "rumor" posted earlier. I dislike UNC very much, but I would never wish an injury on anyone.

This injury REALLY makes their bench thin.

WVDUKEFAN
03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
At least Ol Roy did say he's out for the season rather than it's unlikely he'd be back this season or there is no timetable for his return. The Tarhole fans won't have to have a 40 page thread about how he might come back.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
At least Ol Roy did say he's out for the season rather than it's unlikely he'd be back this season or there is no timetable for his return. The Tarhole fans won't have to have a 40 page thread about how he might come back.

Not sure what this means, since surgery = gone for a long period. Kyrie is trying nonsurgical treatment, which is responding.

Again, I wish him a full recovery.

monkey
03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Best wishes for a full and quick recovery. While I never wish good things on the court for our rival, I would certainly never wish injury to any of their players.

DukieinSoCal
03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Not to be insensitive to Reggie, to whom I wish a speedy recovery also, but how will this affect Carolina going forward? I just checked his season stats and he really was not shooting very well and not playing a ton of minutes. I suspect the real impact of his loss will be felt in the numbers Roy likes to throw at teams in an effort to play fast for 40 minutes. The loss of depth may result in certain starters fatiguing more easily, which may in turn give UNC some trouble closing out games.

Bluedevil114
03-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Wow!! You really are a Troll. First this comment, then your Wojo comments on the 2012 recruiting board.

dukelifer
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Not to be insensitive to Reggie, to whom I wish a speedy recovery also, but how will this affect Carolina going forward? I just checked his season stats and he really was not shooting very well and not playing a ton of minutes. I suspect the real impact of his loss will be felt in the numbers Roy likes to throw at teams in an effort to play fast for 40 minutes. The loss of depth may result in certain starters fatiguing more easily, which may in turn give UNC some trouble closing out games.

As K has said, losing a quality player hurts a lot in conducting practice. Duke only has nine players to practice with who are at the same D1 level. UNC is down to 8 and really 7 if you discount Watts. Bullock was playing around 14 minutes per game- that is pretty significant.

Bluedog
03-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Sorry to hear this. Never wish an injury on a player and hope he has a full recovery. I think this loss definitely hurts UNC with Roy's super fast paced tempo. Players have to get fatigued at some point and one less sub means other guys are going to have to play all that much more. While there are other players on the team that have been perhaps playing better than Bullock, getting a breather every once in a while keeps you fresh and the other players are their highest levels. UNC has to just hope their players never get tired or in foul trouble. So while I personally don't think Bullock was playing superbly to make a huge difference in games, his lack of presence necessitates other players to play all that much more which is definitely a tall order to do in Roy's style of ball (which he has shown in the past he doesn't stray from). And, as stated above, it definitely affects preparation and practices. Unfortunate for sure. If UNC hadn't gotten Knox last minute, they'd be down to 7.

Duvall
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear this. Never wish an injury on a player and hope he has a full recovery. I think this loss definitely hurts UNC with Roy's super fast paced tempo. Players have to get fatigued at some point and one less sub means other guys are going to have to play all that much more. While there are other players on the team that have been perhaps playing better than Bullock, getting a breather every once in a while keeps you fresh and the other players are their highest levels. UNC has to just hope their players never get tired or in foul trouble.

No worries there. The only team in college basketball that is called for fouls less frequently than UNC is Ohio State.

Duvall
03-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Wow, at first I thought you were being a bit harsh, but I just looked up his numbers from UNC's last 7 games:

FSU: 1-5
Duke: 0-5
Clemson: 0-3
Wake: 2-7
BC: 1-4
NC St: 1-5
MD: 1-8

Total: 6-37 (16%)

I didn't realize he was shooting so badly...

Wait, how did Bullock even get up eight shots in only seven minutes against Maryland, while playing on a bad knee? That's almost impressive.

FerryFor50
03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
No worries there. The only team in college basketball that is called for fouls less frequently than UNC is Ohio State.

But UNC doesn't foul... they just play great defense! :rolleyes:

rasputin
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
But UNC doesn't foul... they just play great defense! :rolleyes:

It's Marty who doesn't foul.

ChicagoHeel
03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Despite his shooting woes, we will miss him. His defense and rebounding helped us. It's been apparent that his knee was bothering him for a while and in part explains the poor shooting. So we have gone from hoping that he could get a little rest, start shooting better and provide some much needed perimeter scoring to now having NO room for error or off games from our outside guys. I feel bad for Reggie- tough year when you combine the injury and personal loss.

Kedsy
03-01-2011, 07:25 PM
That's a darn shame. I don't like injuries, no matter the team. And even if he hasn't been playing well, Bullock was quality depth for a UNC team that is really short on depth. I hope he has a full recovery.

Newton_14
03-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Hate to see this as well. Never like seeing kids get injured. Hopefully he can make a full recovery.

jipops
03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Reggie may have had some bad shooting nights lately. But he is still the type of player and shooter that could drop in a big night at any time, against any opponent. He's a big time talent so this loss does hurt to some degree.

The heels still have a perimeter rotation of Marshall, Watts, McDonald, and Strickland. There is still a very strong degree of talent there and McDonald has really come on as of late. Plus they do have Barnes who is able to fill in for multiple positions.

The strength is still in UNC's frontcourt which is one of, if not the most, talented in the nation. It would be far more devastating if they lost someone there.

RoyalBlue08
03-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Obviously I wish Reggie the best and feel sorry for him that his season is over. As far as Carolina is concerned though, I don't think this hurts them much at all. If anything it forces Roy to play his more talented players. Sort of like losing Drew. I think the 8 man rotation they are left with is still one they can make a run with in the tournament.

richardjackson199
03-01-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. Get well soon Reggie! We're praying for a speedy recovery for you and Kyrie. Players belong well and on the court.

CDu
03-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Reggie may have had some bad shooting nights lately. But he is still the type of player and shooter that could drop in a big night at any time, against any opponent. He's a big time talent so this loss does hurt to some degree.

The heels still have a perimeter rotation of Marshall, Watts, McDonald, and Strickland. There is still a very strong degree of talent there and McDonald has really come on as of late. Plus they do have Barnes who is able to fill in for multiple positions.

The strength is still in UNC's frontcourt which is one of, if not the most, talented in the nation. It would be far more devastating if they lost someone there.

Firstly, I echo the sentiments expressed by everyone that it's unfortunate for him and UNC. Injuries are always unfortunate. Hopefully he has a full and speedy recovery.

Having said all that first - in terms of impact to UNC's rotation, the wing is the place they're most equipped to handle a lost player. It's at PG where an injury would be most devastating. Then, it's in the post. Wing is, as jpops says, lowest on the list.

MChambers
03-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Having had lots of knee problems, including during college, I feel for Reggie and hope he's back at full strength soon.

Duvall
03-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Firstly, I echo the sentiments expressed by everyone that it's unfortunate for him and UNC. Injuries are always unfortunate. Hopefully he has a full and speedy recovery.

Having said all that first - in terms of impact to UNC's rotation, the wing is the place they're most equipped to handle a lost player. It's at PG where an injury would be most devastating. Then, it's in the post. Wing is, as jpops says, lowest on the list.

Relatively speaking that's true, but when you only have nine scholarship players there's really no good place to lose a player, even a shooter that can't shoot.

CDu
03-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Relatively speaking that's true, but when you only have nine scholarship players there's really no good place to lose a player, even a shooter that can't shoot.

Yeah, it's definitely not a good thing (for UNC) to lose a player when they only had 9 scholarship players (and only 8 that were really ACC-caliber). But it could be worse.

Bojangles4Eva
03-01-2011, 09:03 PM
First off, I hope his recovery goes well and he's back to a full strength by next season.

Second, this makes for a very interesting glance into how Roy deals with yet another possibility of adjustment (the first being moving Marshall to point in place of Drew, which was absolutely the turning point of their season). He has been criticized of his abilities here before...Do they continue the uptempo, (which I think might cause a slight problem in defensive intensity) or does he adjust to a slower pace?

I think if he went to a slower pace it would be interesting to see how they perform, and his reaction should it not go over so smooth.

Indoor66
03-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm always sorry to hear of any injury and especially season ending injury. I wish the best for Reggie and hope he recovers to play effectively next year. Go Duke, GTHC.

roywhite
03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the injury; hope Bullock recovers fully.

Maybe this means more shot opportunities for Harrison Barnes? He's had only 40 Field Goal attempts in his last two games, 74 attempts in his last four.

ncexnyc
03-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Tough break for Reggie. I hope he returns healthy for next season.

On another note, I find it ironic how this UNC is starting to resemble the classic Duke team.
Roy finally benches LDII, a move Coach K. would have done long ago, as effort and performance equate to playing time. They're actually playing very good D, which has translated to wins despite some terrible shooting nights, and now with Bullock going down, they will be forced to go to a shorter rotation.

DukeDevilDeb
03-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I too wish Reggie the best. I want to beat the Heels more than anyone, but I'd rather do it with both teams at full strength. This is a tough time to get such an injury... just as they are heading toward the post season.

I also went to Inside Carolina and found a post on the Reggie Bullock thread that says it all. I'm not including the poster's name in the interest of protecting the guilty! ;)

"I hate it for Reggie and his team.

UNC has had its share of diversity (sic) over the past couple years. This is big and now a once deep team is not so. A 7 man rotation now with Watts perhaps making it 8.

From a terrible season to losing a player early to the NBA, two to transfer, one to being kicked off the team, one to abandoning the team to one being injured for the season. The bright spot being Knox coming to the program.

One more loss and I will have to say it just was not meant to be:-( "

Right.:D

oldnavy
03-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Hate to see anyone get injured, even Reggie who is at the bottom of my list of UNC players for his rat comments. I wish him a full and speedy recovery nonetheless.

BUT, why was he playing at all if he were injured? I have heard all year long that the reason his minutes were limited was because of his knee(s).

If he could not go full out, then why put him on the court? This does not make any sense to me, because as we now know, he was at risk for a serious injury.

What makes this even more "interesting" is that I am continually bombarded by UNC fans with the lie that Coach K is only interested in his program and is indifferent about his players. Remember the whole, "you're ### my program lie...."

Well, what does it say about a coach who has a player with known injuries to his knees being used to maintain a deeper rotation up until the point that player goes down with a season ending injury???

I can promise you that had this happened at Duke, IC would be blowing up with posts about how evil K was to force a kid to play. And that the only reason he was doing it was for his own glory!!

I am not saying that is what Roy did, but it does make me wonder WHY did they not redshirt Bullock when they knew he was hurt? Why continue to play a kid and put him at risk when you know that he has bad knees and that his injuries were affecting his time on the court and overall performance.

Any one hazard a guess?

alteran
03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Obviously I wish Reggie the best and feel sorry for him that his season is over. As far as Carolina is concerned though, I don't think this hurts them much at all. If anything it forces Roy to play his more talented players. Sort of like losing Drew. I think the 8 man rotation they are left with is still one they can make a run with in the tournament.

Yeah, this is my concern as well. Roy actually seems to do well when forced not to rotate with abandon. The officials don't seem to like calling fouls on the Heels, I'm just not seeing a way that this hurts them.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2011, 09:02 AM
Yeah, this is my concern as well. Roy actually seems to do well when forced not to rotate with abandon. The officials don't seem to like calling fouls on the Heels, I'm just not seeing a way that this hurts them.

There will be times (*cough* this Saturday *cough*) when Ole Roy will have to use his bench due to foul trouble or to mix things up. Bullock is a blow as he was a great insurance policy. His shooting wasn't great this year, but he is a legit 6'7" and is really strong.

OldPhiKap
03-02-2011, 11:12 AM
In our last game with them, Reggie played 17 minutes and had 5 boards with two steals. Took five shots (hit none), and had four fouls.

Other than the fact that his offense was not that great (to be kind), I think that's a pretty solid contributor that they lose. 17 minutes gives a lot of rest to others, and 2 steals/5 boards is a solid contribution. Having four fouls to give helped them, too.

I disagree with those who say this doesn't hurt Carolina. While Bulloch was not the star of the team by any stretch, he was a good defender and rebounder. And he was more than just a stiff body on the floor.

I hope he recovers fully, and look forward to facing him next year.

sandinmyshoes
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Hate to see anyone get injured, even Reggie who is at the bottom of my list of UNC players for his rat comments. I wish him a full and speedy recovery nonetheless.

BUT, why was he playing at all if he were injured? I have heard all year long that the reason his minutes were limited was because of his knee(s).

If he could not go full out, then why put him on the court? This does not make any sense to me, because as we now know, he was at risk for a serious injury.

What makes this even more "interesting" is that I am continually bombarded by UNC fans with the lie that Coach K is only interested in his program and is indifferent about his players. Remember the whole, "you're ### my program lie...."

Well, what does it say about a coach who has a player with known injuries to his knees being used to maintain a deeper rotation up until the point that player goes down with a season ending injury???

I can promise you that had this happened at Duke, IC would be blowing up with posts about how evil K was to force a kid to play. And that the only reason he was doing it was for his own glory!!

I am not saying that is what Roy did, but it does make me wonder WHY did they not redshirt Bullock when they knew he was hurt? Why continue to play a kid and put him at risk when you know that he has bad knees and that his injuries were affecting his time on the court and overall performance.

Any one hazard a guess?

My understanding from friends who are UNC fans: I heard, as I think most of us did, sometime back that there were issues with his knee all season long. What they told me back then was that in the offseason he would need surgery. If he had surgery, he would be out for the season. The worst that would happen if he played would be the same result, he would need surgery. So it was decided to let him play.

I tend to believe them, first because I know them. Secondly, because they talked about it before rather than after the fact.

I personally think we do the rivalry a disservice when we let the knot heads on IC and TDD set the bar of discussion.

oldnavy
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
My understanding from friends who are UNC fans: I heard, as I think most of us did, sometime back that there were issues with his knee all season long. What they told me back then was that in the offseason he would need surgery. If he had surgery, he would be out for the season. The worst that would happen if he played would be the same result, he would need surgery. So it was decided to let him play.

I tend to believe them, first because I know them. Secondly, because they talked about it before rather than after the fact.

I personally think we do the rivalry a disservice when we let the knot heads on IC and TDD set the bar of discussion.

So, if he was going to need surgery no matter what, then why not red shirt him, save a season and have him begin the healing process sooner verses later? I am not sure I see the rational behind playing him until he breaks. Maybe it would be different if he were putting up big numbers and the team relied on him, but he wasn't and they dont.

Still having a hard time seeing what was gained by this. Now he will miss most of the summer work/play, and lose a year of eligibility in the process. I think I would have tried to save the year of eligibility and perhaps have him available for summer ball...

I am not a HOF coach, but I would love to ask Roy on his radio show "Hey coach, did you ever think of red shirting Reggie when you found out that he would need surgery?" just to hear him blow his top!!

devildeac
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
There will be times (*cough* this Saturday *cough*) when Ole Roy will have to use his bench due to foul trouble or to mix things up. Bullock is a blow as he was a great insurance policy. His shooting wasn't great this year, but he is a legit 6'7" and is really strong.

Foul trouble? unc? Sure you jest.:rolleyes:

cato
03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
So, if he was going to need surgery no matter what, then why not red shirt him, save a season and have him begin the healing process sooner verses later? I am not sure I see the rational behind playing him until he breaks. Maybe it would be different if he were putting up big numbers and the team relied on him, but he wasn't and they dont.

Still having a hard time seeing what was gained by this. Now he will miss most of the summer work/play, and lose a year of eligibility in the process. I think I would have tried to save the year of eligibility and perhaps have him available for summer ball...

I am not a HOF coach, but I would love to ask Roy on his radio show "Hey coach, did you ever think of red shirting Reggie when you found out that he would need surgery?" just to hear him blow his top!!

First, I imagine that Bullock lobbied hard to play out the season. Most athletes want to play, and will go to great lengths to do so. Now, obviously the coaches are the ultimate decision makers, but I imagine that a coach would be hard pressed to shut down a kid for the season if the doctors clear him to play and he really wants to go.

Second, before getting too critical of Roy here, it may be worth considering how often a Duke player has quietly played through injury, only to have surgery immediately after the season. From what little we know, the only real difference I see here is that Reggie couldn't quite get all the way through the season.

oldnavy
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
First, I imagine that Bullock lobbied hard to play out the season. Most athletes want to play, and will go to great lengths to do so. Now, obviously the coaches are the ultimate decision makers, but I imagine that a coach would be hard pressed to shut down a kid for the season if the doctors clear him to play and he really wants to go.

Second, before getting too critical of Roy here, it may be worth considering how often a Duke player has quietly played through injury, only to have surgery immediately after the season. From what little we know, the only real difference I see here is that Reggie couldn't quite get all the way through the season.

Fair points. I am not really saying that anything was done inappropriate, because I do not know the situation that well.

It just seems to me that if you knew he needed surgery why not save the year? I can understand not worrying about the year if you expect the kid to go pro early, but Bullock doesn't seem like he is that caliber of a player. He struck me as a solid or very solid 4 year guy. Now he will be a 3.5 year guy with a summer of rehab...