PDA

View Full Version : Beer-Making Kits?

PSurprise
03-01-2011, 02:38 PM
While I think I've read about this somewhere, I've given up looking. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for starter kits for beer-making at home. I've enjoyed beer more as I've gotten a tad older, so I'd like to maybe start making my own. I don't want (can not) to spend a fortune, but I'd be willing to plop down a fair amount of change for good, quality beer-making kits.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

A-Tex Devil
03-01-2011, 02:58 PM
While I think I've read about this somewhere, I've given up looking. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for starter kits for beer-making at home. I've enjoyed beer more as I've gotten a tad older, so I'd like to maybe start making my own. I don't want (can not) to spend a fortune, but I'd be willing to plop down a fair amount of change for good, quality beer-making kits.

After hearing me talk about the brews my friends had been doing in the southeast and how I ought to give it a try, my girlfriend got me a beer making kit for xmas as a surprise. Me and a buddy are on our third batch and loving it. We are truly novices, and aren't very patient, but our first batch turned out pretty good, with 2 batches in various stages of wait and see. Hope to have the pipeline done by this summer so that there is always homebrew available in the house.

Anyway -- I started with this (http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_52&products_id=12736), then added a wort chiller (which is worth the money, but not absolutely necessary) and an 8 gallon stainless steel brewpot.

That and a "how to" book should be all you need to get started. **edited to add -- all that and the ingredients.

Austin Home Brew Supply delivers, but you ought to see if there is a supply store near you. Nothing beats talking to someone and asking them questions. I've found the community, with few exceptions, to be welcoming to new comers, i.e. no stupid questions.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Send a PM to CameronBornAndBred. He's been home brewing for quite a while, with some outstanding success! Love his porter brews! :cool:

DukeUsul
03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Send a PM to CameronBornAndBred. He's been home brewing for quite a while, with some outstanding success! Love his porter brews! :cool:

I loved that "Sweet 16" of CB&B's. He's the man to talk to, for sure.

killerleft
03-01-2011, 09:25 PM

Seconded. I was lucky enough to try some a couple days ago. The alcohol content was exceptional, as well:D

PSurprise
03-02-2011, 08:59 AM
I'll pm CB&B and see what he recommends. I'm looking forward to a great summer of frothy goodness (hopefully)

devildeac
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM

I'll pm CB&B and see what he recommends. I'm looking forward to a great summer of frothy goodness (hopefully)

Be sure to ask him for his recipe for his Dead Ant Ale. Well, on second thought, maybe that's not such a great idea...:rolleyes:

Jim3k
03-05-2011, 06:52 PM

Try this company (http://morebeer.com/) They are local to my part of the Bay Area and have a good reputation. They do have outlets elsewhere, including one in Fort Mill, SC. Check their 'contact us' link for locations. But you can order a kit from them on-line.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Be sure to ask him for his recipe for his Dead Ant Ale. Well, on second thought, maybe that's not such a great idea...:rolleyes:

HA!! That was a killer secret ingredient! Well something was anyways...since most of the ants were already dead. The ones that weren't, they died quickly in the hot water. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Seconded. I was lucky enough to try some a couple days ago. The alcohol content was exceptional, as well:D
DD has reminded me now with the Dead Ant post that's probably what you and your sister had, I will have to dig around to see if I have any true Sweet Sixteens left.

killerleft
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM
DD has reminded me now with the Dead Ant post that's probably what you and your sister had, I will have to dig around to see if I have any true Sweet Sixteens left.

It was good beer, either way!