PDA

View Full Version : This Week in Bracketology: 2/28-3/6

sporthenry
02-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Current #1's for Lunardi are OSU, Pitt, KU, and BYU. However, Duke will be screwed if the committee sticks to the closest site for them as they would have 'Cuse as their #3 who personally scares me.
Meanwhile, UNC gets shipped out west as a 3 with a 2 seed of ND and a 1 seed of BYU. Personally, I'd rather be in their position. Granted, it will be hard for Duke and everyone else to tread water so I expect Duke to either be a 1 or a low 2/high 3 which might work in their favor more than being in the same bracket as OSU/Pitt.

rotogod00
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Today's bracket has Duke 5th on the S-curve and a #2 in the East (with Ohio St. up top). Think somehow we gotta get outselves out West in a matchup against BYU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

DukieinSoCal
02-28-2011, 04:55 PM
If Kyrie comes back before the NCAAT, wouldn't the selection committee take that into consideration and give us a slight bump? I would think that we deserve a #1 seed over teams with comparable resumes if KI looks healthy and ready to contribute, in the same way that injuries can negatively affect team's seedings.

CBDUKE
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Why does Pitt always stay in the top 4 even while losing 2 out of 3? Is it only because they are in the Big East?

DukieinSoCal
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Why does Pitt always stay in the top 4 even while losing 2 out of 3? Is it only because they are in the Big East?

It's interesting that all the major websites have Pitt as a 1 seed over us even though they're #7 on the RPI and Duke is #5. These same sites also repeatedly tout the RPI as one of the only statistical/scientific tools of comparison that the committee uses.

We'll see what happens. I'm sure there are still a handful of losses looming for the top 6-7 teams. We need to take care of our own business first.

burnspbesq
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM
The men's bracket is arguable. The women's bracket is an absolute joke. Creme has Duke number eight overall, number two in UConn's region. The other three number two seeds are Texas A&M, Xavier, and Miami. They have a common opponent. That common opponent is Duke. They all lost to Duke. Go figure.

MarkD83
02-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Maybe we should take heart in the fact that if we are slotted somewhere in bracketology we won't be there in the real bracket.

gam7
03-01-2011, 01:33 AM
However, Duke will be screwed if the committee sticks to the closest site for them as they would have 'Cuse as their #3 who personally scares me.

I would like this road to the Sweet 16. And before seeing us, Syracuse would have to get by Xavier. Only two schools have made the Sweet 16 each of the last three years. One is Michigan State. The other is Xavier. I could see them getting past Syracuse.

uh_no
03-01-2011, 01:47 AM
If Kyrie comes back before the NCAAT, wouldn't the selection committee take that into consideration and give us a slight bump? I would think that we deserve a #1 seed over teams with comparable resumes if KI looks healthy and ready to contribute, in the same way that injuries can negatively affect team's seedings.

Unlikely, since he's been out so long and in 8 games, or whatever you play, its hard to establish dominance so early in the year....if they were the last 8 games of the season? likely. If he came back tomorrow and we blew out our remainig 5 opponents? likely. But since he's been out so long and we really couldn't establish ourselves as better without him, and he won't be back to do that now, it won't factor in with the comittee.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2011, 08:56 AM
As long as we do not have to share Charlotte with UNC, I'm okay wherever we end up. The difference between a 1 and 2 seed is not terribly significant this year.

uh_no
03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
As long as we do not have to share Charlotte with UNC, I'm okay wherever we end up. The difference between a 1 and 2 seed is not terribly significant this year.

But it is significant to where we end up playing and with whom....

Olympic Fan
03-01-2011, 09:54 AM

And I keep insisting, this will not be a problem. Charlotte will be fine -- and will have a majority of Duke fans.

What happened in 2005 was a fluke ... it will be totally different this time. We shared Greensboro with them in 2009 and it was not a problem.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
And I keep insisting, this will not be a problem. Charlotte will be fine -- and will have a majority of Duke fans.

What happened in 2005 was a fluke ... it will be totally different this time. We shared Greensboro with them in 2009 and it was not a problem.

I hope you're right, if it comes to pass. I have bad memories.

MulletMan
03-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah... the difference in 2005 was that UNC knew they were getting a #1 seed from about September and the local fans bought out the First/Second round tickets to see the Tar Heels. They're not all buying tickets for Charlotte this year because they probably aren't going to be there.

Dev11
03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
We shared Greensboro with them in 2009 and it was not a problem.

I recall a lot of Texas fans in baby blue, with a Duke crowd that was WAY smaller.

Duvall
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Yeah... the difference in 2005 was that UNC knew they were getting a #1 seed from about September and the local fans bought out the First/Second round tickets to see the Tar Heels. They're not all buying tickets for Charlotte this year because they probably aren't going to be there.

Sadly, this stopped being the case once Chris Wright broke his hand.

It's important to remember that Charlotte is not Greensboro.

BigZ
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I believe Bracketology and other "experts" had the Devils as a 2 seed last year.

PADukeMom
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Fox has us as a 2 seed as well with Pitt as the 1 seed. Oh great...UNC is also in our bracket. I don't think my heart could take the possibility of having to play them 4 times this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-predictions-projections-022811

Olympic Fan
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Fox has us as a 2 seed as well with Pitt as the 1 seed. Oh great...UNC is also in our bracket. I don't think my heart could take the possibility of having to play them 4 times this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-tournament-bracket-predictions-projections-022811

This is an example of some so-called "experts" that don't know what they are talking about. The top three seeds from any conference have to be seeded in different regionals.

The Fox bracket won't happen.

PADukeMom
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
This is an example of some so-called "experts" that don't know what they are talking about. The top three seeds from any conference have to be seeded in different regionals.

I thought the same thing but then again it is a Tuesday afternoon & I am half brain-dead tired.

tommy
03-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Besides which, there is really no scenario that I can imagine in which the committee would ever, ever, ever put Duke and Carolina in the same regional. No matter what. Too much history and too much respect for that rivalry and what it means to college basketball to ever have them meet before the Final Four.

Duvall
03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Besides which, there is really no scenario that I can imagine in which the committee would ever, ever, ever put Duke and Carolina in the same regional. No matter what. Too much history and too much respect for that rivalry and what it means to college basketball to ever have them meet before the Final Four.

2004 Atlanta Regional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament).

uh_no
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
2004 Atlanta Regional (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NCAA_Men's_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament).

GDI!

why were we an at large and not the tournament champion SMH (now a cool initialism since kyrie used it!!)

Duvall
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
GDI!

why were we an at large and not the tournament champion SMH (now a cool initialism since kyrie used it!!)

Because Mike Wood was mau-maued into favoring Maryland in the ACC final by the Poop Sheet. I think it was Wood.

Olympic Fan
03-01-2011, 03:36 PM

As noted abiove, Duke and UNC WERE in the same regional in 2004.

But That year, Duke was a No. 1 and UNC was a No. 6 seed.

The top three ACC seeds that year -- No. 1 Duke, No. 3 N.C. State and No. 3 Georgia Tech -- were (as required by NCAA guidelines) in different brackets.

That won't happen this year -- Duke and UNC might be in Charlotte together under the pod system, but they can't be in the same regional.

One interesting note: The plethora of Big East teams in the field is going to force the committee to break one rule -- conference teams can't be seeded to meet until the regional finals. Once the number tops eight teams from a conference, that becomes unavoidable.

But while we could see a Sweet 16 matchup of Big East teams, the top three seeds from the conference will be protected from such a matchup -- or from meeting each other before the Final Four.

House G
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
BYU loses its 3rd leading scorer for the remainder of the season for an Honor Code violation.

mkline09
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Saw this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

Thought it was worth posting seeing as BYU is a competitor for a No. 1 seed but more importantly it is nice that a program with that much to lose by suspending one of its better players does so now. It is unfortunate for their program but speaks volumes for their character.

dukelifer
03-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Saw this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6172760

Thought it was worth posting seeing as BYU is a competitor for a No. 1 seed but more importantly it is nice that a program with that much to lose by suspending one of its better players does so now. It is unfortunate for their program but speaks volumes for their character.
Huge loss for them- leading rebounder and third leading scorer. I would say they could be a 1 or 2 seed but not a strong one.

El_Diablo
03-01-2011, 10:40 PM
VT is doing its best to put itself back on the bubble...down 18 to BC with 6:00 left (at home).

dukelifer
03-01-2011, 11:08 PM
VT is doing its best to put itself back on the bubble...down 18 to BC with 6:00 left (at home).
Figures. beat Duke- lose focus and get blown out. VT will need to get to the semis of the ACC tourney. The Duke win will help but this was not good for them. May have helped BC.

Olympic Fan
03-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Huge loss for them- leading rebounder and third leading scorer. I would say they could be a 1 or 2 seed but not a strong one.

If the committee follows their guidelines, they'll have to make a snap judgement on BYU based on how the Cougars play without Davies. They get New Mexico and Wyoming at home this week to finish up the regular season -- then go into the Mountain West Tournament in Las Vegas.

I think they are still a No. 1 seed if they win out, but a loss now would hurt them more than it would before the dismissal. Lose now and it would indicate that they are not quite as strong as the team that won the first 28 games.

If they lose in the tournament, they most likely become a No. 2 seed. They would probably still stay out west, so that wouldn't hurt them much ... unless they lose in the tournament to San Diego State, which might steal the No. 2 seed in the West even with two losses to BYU (since those loses came with Davies in the BYU lineup).

sporthenry
03-02-2011, 06:27 AM
The difference between a 2 and a 1 would be huge this year. And not the whole 'one seed has never lost and has higher winning %' argument which makes sense b/c aren't the one seeds the supposed better teams?
But I digress, a 1 seed would more than likely see Duke go West. Whereas a 2 seed probably gets them in the East with either Pitt or probably OSU. I'd rather go West and get BYU or SD St. as a 2 seed. Either way, the West bracket should be fairly weak and shows a big flaw in the committee's new preference on limiting travel when one side of the country is so weak.

timmy c
03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
BYU loses its 3rd leading scorer for the remainder of the season for an Honor Code violation.

I heard a rumor that his honor code violation was secretly lobbying for Nolan Smith for POY. Yeah! ;)

Matches
03-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I heard a rumor that his honor code violation was secretly lobbying for Nolan Smith for POY. Yeah! ;)

I'm hearing is was because he drank beer. Apparently that's a violation of BYU's honor code.

Which, if true... I guess rules are rules... but yikes. Ought to lead to some interesting debates about BYU's honor code.

timmy c
03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm hearing is was because he drank beer. Apparently that's a violation of BYU's honor code.

Which, if true... I guess rules are rules... but yikes. Ought to lead to some interesting debates about BYU's honor code.

It looks like I'll be breaking the BYU honor code while I am watching the Duke/Clemson game tonight!

Acymetric
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM

Well, the school is affiliated with (owned by) the Church of Latter Day Saints, so its not really surprising at all that drinking is against the honor code. BYU is not the only dry school either, although a lot of "dry" schools are sort of loosening up about it even though the rule is still on the books. People should know what they're signing up for when they go to a school, if you're interested in drinking and partying maybe BYU isn't the right choice.

I'm curious to see if he tranfers after this...go to a typical school and they won't bat an eye over this.

loran16
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, the school is affiliated with (owned by) the Church of Latter Day Saints, so its not really surprising at all that drinking is against the honor code. BYU is not the only dry school either, although a lot of "dry" schools are sort of loosening up about it even though the rule is still on the books. People should know what they're signing up for when they go to a school, if you're interested in drinking and partying maybe BYU isn't the right choice.

I'm curious to see if he tranfers after this...go to a typical school and they won't bat an eye over this.

Correct. Athletes who choose BYU know what they're signing up for. Hardly something to be sympathetic about.

BYU, one would think, would be handicapped in recruiting due to their situation (much more than an academic school), but they don't seem to have too much problems being decent to good at bball and football.

uh_no
03-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Correct. Athletes who choose BYU know what they're signing up for. Hardly something to be sympathetic about.

BYU, one would think, would be handicapped in recruiting due to their situation (much more than an academic school), but they don't seem to have too much problems being decent to good at bball and football.

There are a lot of kids out there that want to lead their lives like that. People could say duke is at a disadvantage becuase of our standards, and yeah maybe we are....cam newton could never play here, nor eric bledsoe or anyone like that. You just have to find other things to do on friday and saturday nights other than getting drunk and

Olympic Fan
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
The difference between a 2 and a 1 would be huge this year. And not the whole 'one seed has never lost and has higher winning %' argument which makes sense b/c aren't the one seeds the supposed better teams?
But I digress, a 1 seed would more than likely see Duke go West. Whereas a 2 seed probably gets them in the East with either Pitt or probably OSU. I'd rather go West and get BYU or SD St. as a 2 seed. Either way, the West bracket should be fairly weak and shows a big flaw in the committee's new preference on limiting travel when one side of the country is so weak.

I do not agree with this evaluation.

I've written before that the same geographical rules that would keep BYU or San Diego State in the West (or make a No. 2 seed Duke stay in the East with No. 1 Ohio State) would send Duke to the Southeast -- if the Devils are a No. 1 seed.

Duke is closer to to New Orleans than Pitt (or Notre Dame or Purdue, if they sneak into a No. 1). Ohio State is in line to get Newark and Kansas gets San Antonio ... then it goes to geography -- and Duke would get New Orleans.

That's IF Duke is a No. 1 seed. If the Devils are a two seed, all bets are off.

sporthenry
03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
From everything that I have read, it appears geography goes to the higher seeded team on the S-curve. So is Pittsburgh closer to Anaheim or New Orleans? That would decide who gets the SE. Of course the committee could get away from this reliance on distance but Pittsburgh has been in the SE for a while in Lunardi's bracket and Duke was pushed to the SW when they finally got up to the 1 seed. But from everyone who said they did the mock selection said a computer has the distance from schools to sites dedicated to just that, so I'm not sure Duke gets the SE unless they jump Pitt.

gw67
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Losing a starter is never good and Davies is apparently a good player; however, based on the SDSU game, the SDSU bigs (Leonard and Thomas) had their way inside on both boards and Davies did not show much on either side of the ball. Now Abouo was a warrior on the boards for the Cougars and had a very good offensive game. Moving him inside may be the move they make although it will make them very small and even more dependent on their perimeter game. I didn't see BYU as a Final Four team before this personnel change and I suspect that their lack of frontcourt depth will catch up with them in the NCAAT.

gw67

uh_no
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I do not agree with this evaluation.

I've written before that the same geographical rules that would keep BYU or San Diego State in the West (or make a No. 2 seed Duke stay in the East with No. 1 Ohio State) would send Duke to the Southeast -- if the Devils are a No. 1 seed.

Duke is closer to to New Orleans than Pitt (or Notre Dame or Purdue, if they sneak into a No. 1). Ohio State is in line to get Newark and Kansas gets San Antonio ... then it goes to geography -- and Duke would get New Orleans.

That's IF Duke is a No. 1 seed. If the Devils are a two seed, all bets are off.

THis does not hold necessarily

if the rankings go

OSU
KU
PItt
DUke

then duke goes out west.....they go in order by overall seeding...so osu goes to newark, ku goes to texas, pitt goes to NO because it's closer than cali, and duke is left with cali. THe same exact process follows for 2 seeds. So if duke is the #5 overall, we go to newark, period. The brackets are then balanced with the 3 and 4 seeds

Olympic Fan
03-02-2011, 02:50 PM
THis does not hold necessarily

if the rankings go

OSU
KU
PItt
DUke

then duke goes out west.....they go in order by overall seeding...so osu goes to newark, ku goes to texas, pitt goes to NO because it's closer than cali, and duke is left with cali. THe same exact process follows for 2 seeds. So if duke is the #5 overall, we go to newark, period. The brackets are then balanced with the 3 and 4 seeds

Not necessarily so .. for one thing, it's not clear that Pitt is a No. 1 ahead of Duke. Still 12 days until Selection Sunday, but as of today, Duke almost has to be higher on the s-curve than Pitt.

Let's see:

-- Duke has the better record (26-3 vs. 25-4 going into tonight's game)
-- Duke has the better RPI (No. 5 vs. No. 7)
-- Duke has the higher ranking in both human polls (No. 4 in both vs. No. 5 in both)
(the human polls are the best indicator of seeding ... and the RPI is the computer poll that the committee leans on most heavily).
-- Duke is ranked higher in Pomeroy (No. 2 vs. No. 7)
-- Duke is ranked higher in Sagarin (No. 4 vs. No. 5)

Pitt does have a better record against the top 25 (six wins to two) and one more top 50 win (eight to seven), but Duke has more wins against the top 100 (15 to 13).

We'll see how it plays out, but don't get too carried away by the blatherings of the Big East centric ESPN pundits -- they have consistently overrated the Big East seedings in recent years at the expense of the ACC ... Lunardi didn't project Duke as a No. 1 last year ... he argued for West Virginia.

I repeat, Duke should be ahead of Pitt -- by the measures the committee has always relied most heavily on -- as of today. That chances if Duke loses at UNC or in the ACC Tournament. But win out and Duke is a No. 1 ... in New Orleans.

Chitowndevil
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Not necessarily so .. for one thing, it's not clear that Pitt is a No. 1 ahead of Duke. Still 12 days until Selection Sunday, but as of today, Duke almost has to be higher on the s-curve than Pitt.

Let's see:

-- Duke has the better record (26-3 vs. 25-4 going into tonight's game)
-- Duke has the better RPI (No. 5 vs. No. 7)
-- Duke has the higher ranking in both human polls (No. 4 in both vs. No. 5 in both)
(the human polls are the best indicator of seeding ... and the RPI is the computer poll that the committee leans on most heavily).
-- Duke is ranked higher in Pomeroy (No. 2 vs. No. 7)
-- Duke is ranked higher in Sagarin (No. 4 vs. No. 5)

I like this line of thinking, but in fact I think many (even most) people do have Pitt ahead of Duke on their S-curve. The reason is that, in recent years anyway, wins are valued very nonlinearly: wins over high ranked opponents are very important when determining seedings. Here are Duke and Pitt's top 50 wins, according to Pomeroy Rankings:

Duke
(11) UNC, (17) Maryland x2, (26) Marquette, (32) Kansas St, (34) Temple, (47) Michigan St

Pitt
(5) Texas, (12) Syracuse, (17) Maryland, (18) WVa x2, (21) Georgetown, (23) UConn, (25) Cincinnati, (27) Villanova, (26) Marquette, (49) Duquesne

So here's the argument for Pitt over Duke:
-- Pitt has 10 top 30 wins to Duke's 4
-- Both teams have beaten Maryland and Marquette and lost to St. John's on the road
-- Outside of that, K State is the only Road/Neutral game on Duke's list, while Pitt has Texas, GTown, WVa, and Nova.
-- Pitt is leading the Big East (#2 Pomeroy) while Duke is tied atop the ACC (#4)

That said, I do think if Duke wins both its games this week that, with BYU's suspension of Davies, we are in the driver's seat for the 4th #1 seed.

uh_no
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Simply a hypothetical to counteract the thinking that "if both duke and pitt are 1 seeds, then duke goes to NO simply because it is closer to NO than pitt is" In fact it doesn't matter which school is closer to the site, it only matters which site is closer to the school.

sporthenry
03-03-2011, 12:03 AM
It seems like BYU is all but done. Amazing what some hormones can do to a basketball team. It'll be sad to see them drop. If they lose to a team not named SD St., they should drop to at least a 3 maybe a 4.
That said, opens the door for both Pitt and Duke to be #1 seeds. The only other teams who could sneak up to the 1 line could be Texas if they win the Big 12 tourney which looks less likely each day, ND who would have to win the BE tourney which seems like a crapshoot, or Purdue who would have to win the Big 10 tourney. One last team that I regret to put in here is that if UNC wins out, and Texas, ND, Wisconsin, or Purdue don't win their respective tournaments, than UNC probably gets a 1.

DukeBlueDevils47
03-03-2011, 12:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6175090

fisheyes
03-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Looks like Joe put us as the 1 in the West with BYU as the 2.
A lot better than Ohio State for sure.

PADukeMom
03-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Correct this aged feeble mind but weren't we the 1 seed in the West last year?

nocilla
03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Correct this aged feeble mind but weren't we the 1 seed in the West last year?

We were South region, Houston.

PADukeMom
03-04-2011, 11:10 AM
We were South region, Houston.

Thanks! I knew we were in Houston but it is Friday & my brain is fried.

juise
03-04-2011, 11:32 AM
It looks like UNC is playing well enough to merit being placed in Charlotte with Duke. Ick. I'd almost rather be in DC.

Olympic Fan
03-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I keep reminding people not to take Joe Lunardi's matchups and placements too seriously. It's fun, but while his track record of projecting seeds is good and for nailing the last 2-3 teams in the field is excellent, his past projections as to placements in the brackets is not very good.

That said, I think UNC IS playing well enough to wind up in Charlotte ... coupled with Georgetown's struggles without Chris Wright. If you look at the Selection Committee's guidelines and prinicples, it alsmost has to come down to Duke, UNC and Georgetown vying for the two pods in Charlotte. And right now, I'd give it to Duke and UNC.

FWIW. Here's Joe's latest bracket (released Friday morning):

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

The interesting thing for me is that he includes six ACC teams at the moment -- although Boston College and Clemson are among his last two in (in fact, Clemson is his very last team in). If he's on the money, both would be playing in Dayton to earn a spot on the 64-team bracket.

He also has Virginia Tech as a 10 ... maybe, but if the Hokies lose Saturday at Clemson (a game the Tigers HAVE to win), how fragile would their spot in the field be?

Also interesting are his bracket odds (which are insider, so I can't link). But he has Duke at 75 percent chance to make the Sweet 16 and a 38 chance to make the Final Four and a 12.5 chance to win the title -- only Ohio State is given better odds (23 percent chance to win it all).

nocilla
03-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Lunardi has 6 in, but to me, the loser of the VT-Clem game will drop to the first 4 out. And then it will depend on what happens in the ACC tourney. The biggest thing helping ACC bubble teams is that everyone else is losing too. But I still don't see VT and Clemson both getting in. BC is not on solid ground yet either.

uh_no
03-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Lunardi has 6 in, but to me, the loser of the VT-Clem game will drop to the first 4 out. And then it will depend on what happens in the ACC tourney. The biggest thing helping ACC bubble teams is that everyone else is losing too. But I still don't see VT and Clemson both getting in. BC is not on solid ground yet either.

Spot on analysis. I think the ACCT will have huge implications for both. But Joe has stated that the bracket projections are as if the season ended today

JasonEvans
03-05-2011, 04:26 PM
So, it is halftime of the BYU-Wyoming game and BYU hit a long three at the buzzer to take a 3 point lead at the half 38-35.

The game is at home.
Wyoming is the 8th place team in the Mountain West with a 10-19 record.

So, since losing that fornicating big man, BYU has been hammered by New Mexico (at BYU) and is in a dogfight with KenPom's #211 team, also at home.

One has to wonder what kind of seed they should get. I cannot fathom the committee making them lower than a 3, but is there any question right now that they are more like a #6 or #7 seed... perhaps worse?

-Jason "some #2 is gonna be celebrating when BYU is the #3 in their region" Evans

devildeac
03-05-2011, 04:41 PM
So, it is halftime of the BYU-Wyoming game and BYU hit a long three at the buzzer to take a 3 point lead at the half 38-35.

The game is at home.

So, since losing that fornicating big man, BYU has been hammered by New Mexico (at BYU) and is in a dogfight with KenPom's #211 team, also at home.

One has to wonder what kind of seed they should get. I cannot fathom the committee making them lower than a 3, but is there any question right now that they are more like a #6 or #7 seed... perhaps worse?

-Jason "some #2 is gonna be celebrating when BYU is the #3 in their region" Evans

Don't we have a "connection" on the selections committee now that might be able to facilitate this? Perhaps an old friend of K's?

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/65.gif

77devil
03-05-2011, 05:07 PM

The game is at home.

Looks like BYU has this one locked up but I agree it's likely to continue to slip. Shipping Duke out West, as Lunardi currently predicts, would be just fine with BYU as the 2 seed and two other East coasters as 3 and 4. Not going to happen though.