PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke-Clemson Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Changing the subject, that's for sure. Clemson comes to Cameron for a Wednesday night 9PM ESPN game. Also, it is Senior Day for Kyle and Nolan, a real cause for thanks by the fans and celebration of all they have accomplished.

But Clemson is a team with NCAA ambitions and will surely be ready for the game. Clemson can assure a berth in the NCAAs with two wins this week -- the Tigers host VT on Saturday. It is ranked #36 on Kenpom, and at least one win this week and next at the ACCs could propel the Tigers to the tournament in Coach Brownell's first year.

Clemson has some beef in the middle with Jerai Grant, Devin Booker, and Milton Jennings (6-8 or 6-9, ranging from 225 to 245). Much of the offense comes from Demontez Stitt (6-2 and 14.1) and the waterbug Andre Young (5-9 and 10.9). Clemson is shooting 44% overall but only about 34% from 3-pt land.

Questions for the week are mostly about Duke:

1. Will the Devils try to emphasize inside scoring, given Mason's efficiency (4-5) against Virginia Tech?

2. Who gets to chase Andre Young around the court? Should Seth and Tyler bring their track shoes?

3. In the normal Duke starting lineup, it looks like Kyle would be guarded by 6-5 Tanner Smith. How will the offense utilize Kyle this week?

4. Live by the three, die by the three. After a 4-20 performance against the Hokies, are there any predictions for Wednesday night?

sagegrouse

Reilly
02-28-2011, 01:27 PM
They are 2-4 in the ACC. Point differential of their road games:

@NC -10
@MD -02
@VA -02
@GT +09
@ST -08
@UM +04

In order of kenpom rankings

against #10 -10
against #16 -02
against #62 +04
against #78 -08
against #101 +09
against #119 -02

ncexnyc
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Questions for the week are mostly about Duke:

1. Will the Devils try to emphasize inside scoring, given Mason's efficiency (4-5) against Virginia Tech? Hopefully we'll make sure Mason gets some touches, but I really can't see a game plan revolving around him just yet.

2. Who gets to chase Andre Young around the court? Should Seth and Tyler bring their track shoes?I believe Seth is the quicker of the two. Hopefully he won't press to hard in an effort to make-up for Saturday night and he stays out of foul trouble.

3. In the normal Duke starting lineup, it looks like Kyle would be guarded by 6-5 Tanner Smith. How will the offense utilize Kyle this week?I hope Kyle remembers how he got the majority of his points Saturday night and against Temple as well. He needs to take it right at Smith.

4. Live by the three, die by the three. After a 4-20 performance against the Hokies, are there any predictions for Wednesday night?I believe friendly rims will help and can we do any worse?

sagegrouse

I like our chances as long as Nolan and Kyle stay focused and don't get to hyped-up.

Bob Green
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
We must block out and keep Clemson off the offensive glass. In a couple of Clemson games I've watched, Jerai Grant seemed to be very active on the offensive glass. We've had some challenges with blocking out so this will need to be an area to focus upon.

sagegrouse
02-28-2011, 02:48 PM
They are 2-4 in the ACC. Point differential of their road games:

@NC -10
@MD -02
@VA -02
@GT +09
@ST -08
@UM +04

In order of kenpom rankings

against #10 -10
against #16 -02
against #62 +04
against #78 -08
against #101 +09
against #119 -02

Clemson also lost to FSU 69-75 (-6) all the way back in December. The Tigers are 2-5 on the road in the ACC.

sagegrouse

Matches
02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Any chance we could hang a "Welcome to Chapel Hill" banner somewhere in the building and thus assure ourselves of a W?

TonyR
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Any chance we could hang a "Welcome to Chapel Hill" banner somewhere in the building and thus assure ourselves of a W?

You wouldn't want to defame Cameron Indoor like that :D

David Bunkley
02-28-2011, 04:44 PM
I expect this game to be a lot like last year's Senior Night, 20-30 point blowout. Especially considering the effort that the supporting cast gave in their last outing, it wouldn't suprise me if the other players really rally to seal the deal for Kyle and Nolan on their last night in CIS. These players have been warriors for DUKE BASKETBALL, but this game is an opportunity for other players to pick up the torch and gain a little momentum heading into Chapel Hill.

MChambers
02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I expect this game to be a lot like last year's Senior Night, 20-30 point blowout. Especially considering the effort that the supporting cast gave in their last outing, it wouldn't suprise me if the other players really rally to seal the deal for Kyle and Nolan on their last night in CIS. These players have been warriors for DUKE BASKETBALL, but this game is an opportunity for other players to pick up the torch and gain a little momentum heading into Chapel Hill.

Last year's Senior Night was a 27 point blowout in the first half. I'm expecting a much more competitive game.

Bob Green
02-28-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm not expecting a blowout in fact I'm expecting the opposite a competitive game. Clemson will be motivated for the same reason Virginia Tech was motivated they are looking for a signature win to hang their NCAAT hopes on. Moreover, the Tigers have the ability to place a lot of talent on the court. Jerai Grant and Devin Booker are strong athletic inside players, while Demontez Stitt and Andre Young are speedsters. Tanner Smith has the ability to score and Milton Jennings is a versatile player who can come off the bench in a couple of different roles. Bryan Narcisse is a solid reserve.

I'm sure our Blue Devils are anxious to redeem themselves after the disappointing finish in Blacksburg so they will also be motivated to play with intensity from the opening tip. Add in the emotions of senior night for Singler and Smith and all the ingredients exist for a barn burner. Hopefully we can start fast and bring it for 40 minutes. I'm expecting a classic battle between two NCAAT quality teams.

ncexnyc
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm not expecting a blowout in fact I'm expecting the opposite a competitive game. Clemson will be motivated for the same reason Virginia Tech was motivated they are looking for a signature win to hang their NCAAT hopes on. Moreover, the Tigers have the ability to place a lot of talent on the court. Jerai Grant and Devin Booker are strong athletic inside players, while Demontez Stitt and Andre Young are speedsters. Tanner Smith has the ability to score and Milton Jennings is a versatile player who can come off the bench in a couple of different roles. Bryan Narcisse is a solid reserve.

I'm sure our Blue Devils are anxious to redeem themselves after the disappointing finish in Blacksburg so they will also be motivated to play with intensity from the opening tip. Add in the emotions of senior night for Singler and Smith and all the ingredients exist for a barn burner. Hopefully we can start fast and bring it for 40 minutes. I'm expecting a classic battle between two NCAAT quality teams.
Nice to see you've rebounded from your post-game funk. I've never seen you so negative like you were the other night.

Bob Green
02-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Nice to see you've rebounded from your post-game funk. I've never seen you so negative like you were the other night.

Thanks! And sorry I was negative, but we all have our bad nights. My glass is once again half full.

camion
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Most of the things that were working against us emotionally at Va Tech will be working for us on Wednesday.

I expect a strong effort from the team for the seniors' last home game. I don't think it will be a nail biter.

Chris Randolph
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
I predict a win fairly easily. Clemson will stick around through the first half as our guys may be too hyped up for senior night. Nolan and Kyle will play well and I expect Andre to continue to play better and more minutes. Plus I see Mason continuing to put up nice numbers

Duke by 16

-bdbd
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Most of the things that were working against us emotionally at Va Tech will be working for us on Wednesday.

I expect a strong effort from the team for the seniors' last home game. I don't think it will be a nail biter.

But please don't forget the view from the Clemson perspective. Their coaches are likely telling their players: "(1) This is a game we HAVE to win if we want to be sure we can make the NCAA tournament; (2) Look at Duke, they're on the ropes emotionally after that big upset (where they again didn't play very well...); (3) and these guys will be all emotional and mentally 'distracted' (and maybe over-amped) by Senior Night. Go get 'em!"

Personally, I think Duke will be fired up after the loss. BUT, Clemson is a NCAAT-quality team, with some good/great players who can hit us at some weak spots, and the potential is certainly there for an upset. Let's pray our guys come out focused from the get-go. I expect it to stay close well into the second half though.

RoyalBlue08
03-01-2011, 11:35 AM
I think this is a game that is unusually difficult to predict what might happen. Both Duke and Clemson are going to have unusually high emotions for the game. The team that is better able to focus their energy and will into solid basketball will prevail. I sure hope it is Duke. I want this game more than even the game in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Kyle and Nolan deserve a celebration on senior night.

gep
03-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I think this is a game that is unusually difficult to predict what might happen. Both Duke and Clemson are going to have unusually high emotions for the game. The team that is better able to focus their energy and will into solid basketball will prevail. I sure hope it is Duke. I want this game more than even the game in Chapel Hill on Saturday. Kyle and Nolan deserve a celebration on senior night.

I kinda feel this way too. I WANT Kyle, Nolan, and Casey to go out on Senior Night as WINNERS. After all... 4 hard-earned years. Then, assuming unc beats FSt, the unc game will be "for all the marbles"... that should be extremely fun (stress, etc)

Olympic Fan
03-02-2011, 01:10 AM

Actually, Clemson hasn't been much more successful in Durham than they have been in Chapel Hill.

The Tigers' all-time record in Cameron is 4-55 ... in Durham, it's 4-58.

Their last win at Duke was in in the "bad back" year (1995). Since then Duke has won 14 straight at home. Before that, Clemson won here in 1984, so they've lost 24 of the last 25 in Durham. They only other two losses here were back to back in 1976 and 1977.

uh_no
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks! And sorry I was negative, but we all have our bad nights. My glass is once again half full.

We'll its better than the glass being all empty after the vt game....then getting filled up and emptied several times over....I got cut off eventually, though, and the glass was only half full at the time.

Saratoga2
03-02-2011, 07:42 AM
After the VT showing, I hope that the players involve everyone, especially down the stretch. Nolan and Kyle, good as they are, will not beat a determined team by themselves. Kyle in particular has been inefficient from 3 over a recent span. On the other hand, he has been very solid closer to the basket. Maybe he can go to his strength again against Clemson.

Underclassmen tend to be deferential to their seniors, especially when the seniors are such capable players. The coaches have to make it clear that it is okay and even desirable for them to stay aggressive. We have the beginnings of an inside game with Mason and also possibly Ryan. Lets get them involved.

We also have both Tyler and Andre who perhaps have been the most deferential when it comes to aggressively trying to get their own shots.

It is not clear whether Curry was in a bad matchup, overly amped up, sick or what. He has quick hands and is long for a 6 footer, but he may not be the best matchup against a quick, aggressive and long guard. We should watch that situation. If he is scoring well and playing good defense, he can be a big plus, but the VT game showed some cracks in his game.

Miles really has been playing good defense but has been a liability of offense. Too bad he hasn't made the jump yet to be able to finish around the basket. Still, it is good to have a third big man to come of the bench and provide minutes.

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Duke has gotten off to slow starts the past several games. I believe that again will be the case tonight as the team will really be fired up. We have been a second half team the last two seasons mainly because we are working to get through the first half with the least amount of fouls. I believe the players are not as aggressive the first half because they do not want to pick up that second foul and sit. Then you see guys like Nolan, Seth and Kyle come out and turn up the defensive effort in the second half and Duke gets easy baskets. I am looking for a similiar game as Temple. Clemson is good enough to hang around with their bigs working the glass. I think in the end a 16-18 point win in Cameron to close out careers of two of the most beloved players to ever wear a Duke uniform.

Go Duke!!

Klemnop
03-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Back in January Clemson was getting ready to host UNC where UNC appeared to be weak and vulnerable. Just ahead of that game the Tarheels went to Atlanta and got absolutely embarassed by Tech (seems like a long, long time ago) which, unfortunately, got them ultra-focused for their game in Littlejohn. Methinks the same dynamic is set up here for the Devils to unleash a lot of frustration from last Saturday night along with paying tribute to two great ACCers in tonight's game.

It sounds funny to say but the best thing for Clemson would be to just forfeit. Too bad that's not an option. It is a forgone conclusion that Duke will win. At least that was my thinking before Demontez Stitt pulled up lame. Now it's even worse than a forgone conclusion...it's inevitable. So it would be better for Clemson to just add the "L" to the loss column and move on with as little notice as possible. Unfortunately this game will get lots of notice - and for Clemson it will be all the wrong kinds of notice. They say all Ws and Ls count the same but tonight will prove that's not true - as Clemson's perceived NCAA Bubble status will take a huge hit as a result of getting mauled by Duke.

Without Stitt the Tigers are at a huge disadvantage and I can't envision any scenario where they can stay competitive. Stitt is our primary ballhandler, for one, as well as our best option for creating his own shot against tough man-to-man defense. Without Stitt I expect we'll look very unorganized on offense, a lot of turnovers at the top of the offense that lead to high-percentage opportunities going the other way and little threat of dribble/drive action to keep the wing pressure down (and allow some 3-point opps) or double teams in the post on Grant.

Not sandbagging - this should be a relatively easy gameplan for the Devils to put together and execute.

This Clemson group is a pretty good group of kids. I don't expect it to get chippy. That would be the worst case scenario - for it to be a bad loss on the scoreboard AND for it to create some sort of ill will between a new head coach and Coach K. But because Brownell has predicated the entire season on defensive tenacity...and with what I expect to be myriad offensive struggles - tough (aggressive?) D may be the only thing for the Tigers to hang their hat on.

Here's hoping to a good, clean game. And that both teams walk away in no worse shape than they came in (literally and Bubbl-y).

Klem

MChambers
03-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Can't let this drop so far down on the day of the game! Things I'll be looking for:

1. Stitt. Is he really out? If he is, I agree that it makes it very difficult for Clemson.

2. Young. Will Duke's guards just shoot over Young? He's awfully small.

3. Tempo. Clemson plays a pretty slow tempo, interestingly. I hope we are able to get some fast-break buckets while keeping Clemson in the half-court game.

4. Defense on Grant. Who covers Jerai Grant, who is quietly having a very good year. He's a tough matchup for our bigs, I fear.

5. Great nights for our seniors.

uh_no
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Can't let this drop so far down on the day of the game! Things I'll be looking for:

1. Stitt. Is he really out? If he is, I agree that it makes it very difficult for Clemson.

2. Young. Will Duke's guards just shoot over Young? He's awfully small.

3. Tempo. Clemson plays a pretty slow tempo, interestingly. I hope we are able to get some fast-break buckets while keeping Clemson in the half-court game.

4. Defense on Grant. Who covers Jerai Grant, who is quietly having a very good year. He's a tough matchup for our bigs, I fear.

5. Great nights for our seniors.

6. Kyrie irving...i'll be looking for kyrie irving

Klemnop
03-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Clemson's SID just reported that Stitt particpated in all aspects of this afternoon's shoot around. That's an indication he's likely to play. Unknown how effective he'll be coming off a couple of days of serious illness.

Appraently everyone else is avoiding this thread out of healthy respect for the Weauxfgods. Last night's BC-VaTech game must really have you guys psyched out. Well, the Weauxfgods know what's in your heart. You can't hide from that. ;)

MChambers
03-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Clemson's SID just reported that Stitt particpated in all aspects of this afternoon's shoot around. That's an indication he's likely to play. Unknown how effective he'll be coming off a couple of days of serious illness.

Appraently everyone else is avoiding this thread out of healthy respect for the Weauxfgods. Last night's BC-VaTech game must really have you guys psyched out. Well, the Weauxfgods know what's in your heart. You can't hide from that. ;)
The Weauxfgods know that you've already attempted a reverse weauxf, which doesn't work.

Us Duke fans, we respect our opponents and hope to be able to play well and be victorious.

Klemnop
03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
The Weauxfgods know that you've already attempted a reverse weauxf, which doesn't work.

Us Duke fans, we respect our opponents and hope to be able to play well and be victorious.

You give me too much credit. I'm just a simple Clemson Man. I'm not capable to pull off the complicated double-reverse-weauxf which you accuse me of. I can barely even spell it. I'm much better with words that rely heavily on "C", "L", "E", "M", "S", "O" ........and "N". :cool:

Looking forward the game - as an event not as an outcome.

Klem

UrinalCake
03-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Can we make Stitt wear one of those hospital masks, or ask that he not breathe on any of our guys? Don't need him passing strep around. :)

superdave
03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I have not seen Clemson play all year - do they still press under Brownell?

Klemnop
03-02-2011, 03:30 PM
I have not seen Clemson play all year - do they still press under Brownell?

No. Not at all. Whatever the opposite of "press" defense is...that's what Clemson plays these days. Out from under the glow of Oliver Purnell's success it appears that this defense is often-times referred to as "solid, defensively-sound man to man". Things like "help" and "rotation" are involved. These concepts are foreign to Clemson fans after the last seven years so we're slowly getting re-adjusted to them.

We also attempt to do something called "run a motion offense." This requires players to understand "offensive principles" and "make basketball plays" as opposed to hoping for turnovers and dunks in transition. Occasionally we get something called a "good shot" which is generated through "cuts and screens". Again, apologies for my lack of fluency in the lingo. I think I'm getting it right.

jv001
03-02-2011, 03:36 PM
No. Not at all. Whatever the opposite of "press" defense is...that's what Clemson plays these days. Out from under the glow of Oliver Purnell's success it appears that this defense is often-times referred to as "solid, defensively-sound man to man". Things like "help" and "rotation" are involved. These concepts are foreign to Clemson fans after the last seven years so we're slowly getting re-adjusted to them.

We also attempt to do something called "run a motion offense." This requires players to understand "offensive principles" and "make basketball plays" as opposed to hoping for turnovers and dunks in transition. Occasionally we get something called a "good shot" which is generated through "cuts and screens". Again, apologies for my lack of fluency in the lingo. I think I'm getting it right.

You crack me up! Those references made to good defense and creating good offensive principles will be what get's Clemson to the top group of ACC teams. I believe Brownell will do a good job of coaching. The question will be his recruiting. Go Duke!

superdave
03-02-2011, 04:58 PM

Clemson devastated Duke with the press a couple of years ago. We figured it out for the 2nd game though. I think it's a great tactical weapon to throw at a team for a couple of possessions (same with a zone) but not something to use for 30-40 minutes.

dukelifer
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Can we make Stitt wear one of those hospital masks, or ask that he not breathe on any of our guys? Don't need him passing strep around. :)

This is actually a concern. Can another team ask that a player not play if contagious?Strep is highly contagious. If the kid had a fever today - he could put players at risk.

sagegrouse
03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
This is actually a concern. Can another team ask that a player not play if contagious?Strep is highly contagious. If the kid had a fever today - he could put players at risk.

I'll defer to the docs on the Board, but having just gone through a case in my family, we were told that strep is quite susceptible to antibiotics and usually the fever -- and the contagion -- disappear after a day or two.

sagegrouse

J_C_Steel
03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Any word? Is Stitt playing or not playing?

BigZ
03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
So the only thing that can happen tonight is Duke can guarantee a split title with a win and UNC lose?

diveonthefloor
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM

That's what prophylactic antibiotics are for!:cool:

riverside6
03-02-2011, 08:45 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7090

Exiled_Devil
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Chair Throw!!

K is not happy

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I think Coach K just threw his chair and he may have been throwing it in the direction of Dawkins. He is not a happy coach at the moment. Four turnovers already.

Acymetric
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Well one of those turnovers should have been a shooting foul for Nolan and then a shooting foul for Kyle before it was a turnover...awful sequence by the refs there.

sporthenry
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't know what Singler did to the refs this year but he isn't getting the Psycho T treatment.

slower
03-02-2011, 09:24 PM
I expect this game to be a lot like last year's Senior Night, 20-30 point blowout.

Some of you guys just never learn, do you?

soccerstud2210
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
we are NOT looking like a contender tonight. disappointing.

BigZ
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
why does duke always play horribly in the first ten minutes.

Gthoma2a
03-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm just hoping we get a win. We are not finishing well, and we are looking to be in a slump at a troublesome time of the season.

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Booker better not turn in to another Jeff Allen shooting threes tonight.

dcdrumsinc
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
why is Kyle still playing 25 feet from the basket?! he is not a perimeter player. he can't beat other sf's off the dribble. get his 6'8'' frame in the deng post

_Gary
03-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Some of you guys just never learn, do you?

What's really bothering me is that I feel like our team is regressing instead of progressing. I just can't shake that feeling that we are doing the opposite of peaking. It's seemed this way to me for several weeks too. The offense just seems like it's struggling mightily to get good shots. I mean we can get shots, but they aren't always good shots.

Son of Mojo
03-02-2011, 09:33 PM
*said in Homer Simpson voice* I hate Patrick and Elmore so much............

CampbellBlueDevil
03-02-2011, 09:35 PM
*said in Homer Simpson voice* I hate Patrick and Elmore so much............

Same here.... how does Elmore confidently call Kelly's attempt at drawing foul a flop early on and then says Smith got away with one there. The guy acted like he ran head on into an 18 wheeler. Have some consistency and quit hatin' Elmore.

Gthoma2a
What's really bothering me is that I feel like our team is regressing instead of progressing. I just can't shake that feeling that we are doing the opposite of peaking. It's seemed this way to me for several weeks too. The offense just seems like it's struggling mightily to get good shots. I mean we can get shots, but they aren't always good shots.

I have to admit that I feel like we have been regressing recently. We seem to think that 3s are the only way to win in a Duke uniform. I have now given up on seeing Kyrie again, so we really have to figure this thing out. I want to see the toughness and execution of last year. We really need to find a third guy we are willing to lean on. We have prime candidates.

dcdrumsinc

Agreed 100%. I saw this coming the moment I found out #1 was possibly done for the season. Anyone who didn't see this coming I think realizes it now

SMO
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Len Smelmore is in fine form. When Ryan Kelly goes to the floor, it's a flop. When the guy guarding Nolan clearly flops, NOLAN got away with one. Thanks for the analysis Len. How'd the Terps do tonight?

cspan37421
03-02-2011, 09:36 PM
"Smith got away with one there" - yeah, except for the breathtaking flop that would be worthy of floor competition in Olympic gymnastics. Jerk or moron? We report, you decide.

SMO
03-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Len Smelmore is in fine form. When Ryan Kelly goes to the floor, it's a flop. When the guy guarding Nolan clearly flops, NOLAN got away with one. Thanks for the analysis Len. How'd the Terps do tonight?

Funny, no comment from Len on Nolan's 5" cut on his arm sans foul call.

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Kelly big on the defensive boards. Curry for threeeeeee.

SMO
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Kelly big on the defensive boards. Curry for threeeeeee.

We're getting ready for lift-off. I like them pushing the pace and wearing the Tigers out.

_Gary
Agreed 100%. I saw this coming the moment I found out #1 was possibly done for the season. Anyone who didn't see this coming I think realizes it now

Agreed. There was no doubt we were going to be a completely different, and less potent, team once #1 went down. Anyone that thought differently was smoking something, as they say. But we generally find a way to work through these type of valleys. The problem is that I can't say we've really seen the type of progression we need as we enter March.

Having said that, we can still win it all with what we have. It's just that the margin for error is so much thinner without Irving.

Exiled_Devil

You said this and then the team went on a 11-0 run.

cspan37421
03-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Gee, I wonder if Mason traveled because he was fouled? Do they really think he wanted to take the shot falling to the ground?

ajgoodfella7
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Really getting out-hustled right now.

_Gary
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Unfortunately that apparently goes both ways as Clemson just went on a 12-0 run.

SMO
03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Gee, I wonder if Mason traveled because he was fouled? Do they really think he wanted to take the shot falling to the ground?

That's the fastest I've ever seen a Duke team pee away a 11pt lead.

slower
03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
We're getting ready for lift-off. I like them pushing the pace and wearing the Tigers out.

keep drinking that kool-aid. :)

Vincetaylor
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
They are getting every loose ball and playing harder than we are. They will either get a huge earful at halftime or the silent treatment.

dcdrumsinc
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Duke has had plenty of 11-0 runs in the past with less talented duke teams. What we were saying was that in the tournament we won't have the luxury of playing a team like clemson in the sweet 16, elite 8, or final 4. a 11-0 is all fun and dandy against an inferior clemson team at home. What I am worried about is the fact this duke team has yet to play a complete 40 min really dominating game against a quality opponent. in late march, this will have to be done...on a neutral court...

SMO
03-02-2011, 09:50 PM
keep drinking that kool-aid. :)

You're right. I totally drink the Kool Aid anytime Duke starts winning. I should really criticize them win, lose, or draw. That makes the game much more fun to watch!

CampbellBlueDevil
03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
The boxing out and rebounding has been pitiful. Mason needs to mark some ground and prevent people from flying in from the perimeter and grabbing rebounds/put backs. He just stands there like a pole looking for the ball to bounce his way.

cspan37421
Really getting out-hustled right now.

Especially on that offensive rebound where Mason didn't block out the follower. Lots of standing around after Clemson puts up a shot - not just on that one.

how many missed layups do we have?

wgl1228
I have not criticized Duke until now. I am really concerned about this team.

BigZ
Mason should get much more looks, he is finishing much better and he is making his foul shots now.

cspan37421
03-02-2011, 09:54 PM
did you see Coach K's face as he looked up at the half? I think the locker room is going to need a new coat of paint shortly.

CampbellBlueDevil
03-02-2011, 09:55 PM
When it comes time to fill out NCAA tournament brackets, I don't think I'll be picking Duke in the championship game. And that's just been a recent development, I had more faith in last years team :(

DevilHorns
03-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I hope K doesn't even enter the locker room.

This is senior night. Kyle and Nolan need to get vocal. It's their night tonight. They need to lead.

Son of Mojo
03-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Already been touched on but some bad TO's, missed shot after missed shot that have been 5' and in, and a lot of standing around (combined with something I'd like to say without being accused of terping..........). There needs to be some inspired 2nd half play with more fire and hustle.

RoyalBlue08
I am shocked at the lack of effort coming off a loss and playing on senior night. So many guys look like they are just going through the motions. Very disappointing to watch. I would think these guys would want to leave everything on the floor for Kyle and Nolan. Maybe they will wake up at halftime.

johnny2001
Awful half. I would hate to be in that locker room with coach k. Too many guys don't go 100 percent. Watching some of these guys shoot the basketball makes me cringe. Start getting loose balls and run the floor because if you can't shoot your way to victory you better play harder than the other team. We can't shoot and we don't play hard. Double whammy!

moonpie23
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
more clunky out of sync play......they do not look good and they are letting clemson out hustle them...

better get that 2nd half mojo on..... dang!!

KandG
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm optimistic about the team finding enough on senior night to pull this one out.

I am not optimistic about their chances to advance much beyond the second round or Sweet 16, unfortunately. Good teams do slump late in the season and manage to recover, but the flaws have really never gone away all year. This reminds me of 2009, where you love the effort and the team, but you know they'll get run over by a bulldozer eventually.

Let's just hope it's not greater than a 20 point loss at the Dean Dome this weekend. Maybe it will be closer because UNC will finally come down to earth, but I'm not feeling good about it.

Chris Randolph
03-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Kyle and Nolan are doing all they can, lots of emotion and having to carry the burden on offense and defense. Seth looks good so far.

The supporting cast is playing with zero emotion or sense of urgency. Inconsistency (lack of experience), which has been a concern of mine all year (what I believe will be our downfall in the tourney). Disappointing, especially Mason after the strides he was making.

But the 2nd half is a chance to make a wrong a right. Next play

slower
03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
You're right. I totally drink the Kool Aid anytime Duke starts winning. I should really criticize them win, lose, or draw. That makes the game much more fun to watch!

Seriously, I wish I could be as optimistic as you and others on this board. But frankly, I just cannot imagine this team winning it all. Without Kyrie, I don't see it. And anybody who keeps pushing the idea that this is somehow a better team without Kyrie just isn't paying attention. That's such a ridiculous assertion.

I love these guys, especially Kyle and Nolan and all that they've given us. But whatever "it" is, they just don't seem to have "it" this year. I desperately hope to be proved wrong, but I just don't think it's gonna happen like it did last year.

And you can go ahead and criticize me and say that we should celebrate this team for what they are and a win is a win, yada yada yada...I guess my expectations have just been too high. Now, if Kyrie magically reappears this season, it's a different ball game.

But folks, Saturday could be UGLY.

Billy Dat
03-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I, too, don't like the look of our offense. Granted, Clemson is known as a defensive squad, but it worries me that Nolan and Kyle are the only players looking to score, and only seem to look for each other. If it's got to be that way, let's at least have Kyle screening for Nolan so that he has pick and pop options and Nolan can drive and, maybe, spot some guys open as the defense collapses. Aside from Nolan feeding Kelly for that corner 3, it seems like every score has been Nolan creating his own shot, Kyle catching on the move, or Seth creating his own shot. We need some more motion screening at the very least. I think the frustration at that end is carrying over to a lack-luster D. Senior Nights are a crap shoot, but it feels like our seniors need to get everyone else more involved.

cspan37421
03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Mason should get much more looks, he is finishing much better and he is making his foul shots now.

I'm not so sure. He made 2 foul shots in a row; at his FT%, you would expect that he would randomly do that about 20-25% of the time anyway. The one right observation Elmore has said is that his FT arc is flat - true of many big men, but it leaves less room for error.

Also, Mason not-infrequently tries to play point guard and blow by his man, often with undesirable results. Yes, maybe he's got a bit more of a move than many big men, but I would be surprised if he has a green light to start driving 12 feet from the basket.

As aggressive as Clemson is playing on defense, I think we might want to reconsider back door cuts and that sort of thing - we aren't going to get a lot of open looks, it appears, and I would hope that the 2 consecutive missed layups on previous backdoor cuts were just a fluke. If they're giving us layups and we can't hit them, we don't deserve to win anyway. Might as well go to it, if they stick with that defense. But maybe they'll zone us and see if our shooting goes cold (again). Thing is for them, it rarely goes cold at home.

Chris Randolph
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
I hope K doesn't even enter the locker room.

This is senior night. Kyle and Nolan need to get vocal. It's their night tonight. They need to lead.

See, this is the problem with this team. Its game 30, senior night for Kyle and Nolan and the other guys can't play with emotion and focus. Kyle and Nolan shouldn't have to get vocal or give some speech. Immaturity/lack of experience is to blame in my opinion

jipops
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
We are a struggling team right now, at the wrong time. I feel like we've been struggling since the UNC game. It should be interesting to see what the team response is in the 2nd. It would be nice to see a good crowd response too.

Dukegbw3
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
The boxing out and rebounding has been pitiful. Mason needs to mark some ground and prevent people from flying in from the perimeter and grabbing rebounds/put backs. He just stands there like a pole looking for the ball to bounce his way.

Despite making strides with his offense, he did this in the Va Tech game repeatedly, which in addition to a few bad calls, poor shot selection from our stars, and badly timed turnovers, led to a loss. Singler finds a man every time and puts his hand or a body on him. When the shot goes up, Mason still turns around, runs toward the basket with his hands held out like a 4th grader, and waits for the ball to bounce his way. I keep waiting for the light to click on...I miss you, Brian Zoubek. Let's hope for a better 2nd half.

GO DUKE!

cspan37421
03-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Let's go, guys. Man up, and bring it home!

soccerstud2210
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
i am really nervous for the unc game. just seems like reversal roles of the teams. unc soaring. duke digressing. just frustrating. such high hopes for this team by everyone.

Lulu
03-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I'll bet this has already been discussed, but I just now logged in.

What on earth does it take to get a foul called when Singler shoots? It's basically the exact opposite of what occurred with Hansbrough. It's like the officials don't think Singler belongs down low and anything goes when he takes a shot inside the lane.

SMO
03-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Seriously, I wish I could be as optimistic as you and others on this board. But frankly, I just cannot imagine this team winning it all. Without Kyrie, I don't see it. And anybody who keeps pushing the idea that this is somehow a better team without Kyrie just isn't paying attention. That's such a ridiculous assertion.

I love these guys, especially Kyle and Nolan and all that they've given us. But whatever "it" is, they just don't seem to have "it" this year. I desperately hope to be proved wrong, but I just don't think it's gonna happen like it did last year.

And you can go ahead and criticize me and say that we should celebrate this team for what they are and a win is a win, yada yada yada...I guess my expectations have just been too high. Now, if Kyrie magically reappears this season, it's a different ball game.

But folks, Saturday could be UGLY.

Wow. All I said was I thought Duke pushing the ball against Clemson would be successful. Looks like they are continuing to try to do that so maybe the coaching staff is drinking Kool Aid too.

slower
03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Wow. All I said was I thought Duke pushing the ball against Clemson would be successful. Looks like they are continuing to try to do that so maybe the coaching staff is drinking Kool Aid too.

When I said "you", I wasn't referring to YOU specifically. Sorry if it seemed that way.

dcdrumsinc
03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
would anyone else beside myself think it's a good idea to have this team's defense play less on the perimeter and put less pressure beyond the 3 point line? I feel like this team is not athletic or quick enough with guys like kyle, mason, miles, or ryan to overplay so much. we get killed waaay too many times off the bounce and into the paint. i'd like to see Nolan no longer force layups inside the paint. when he tries to force up a tough layup or shot in the paint, it NEVER goes in

dairedevil
03-02-2011, 10:23 PM
When the shots are going in, the passes are clean, the team is playing with focus and control, I'm happy, and don't find much to complain about. But when every possession is a struggle, the layups go over the basket, jumpshots are short, passes go overhead, and out of bounds, then everything gets on my nerves, and I really want to complain. Which is worse, the the officiating or the announcing?

With 18 minutes left in the game, and the score tied, patrick and elmore are debating if this win will put Clemson over the hump. Did they think that the game was over?

_Gary
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
And here goes Elmore with more "complaining" about inconsistent officiating. He's calling the game like he's a Clemson announcer, IMHO. :rolleyes:

CampbellBlueDevil
03-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Elmore complaining about consistency. Every game he commentates he focuses on how Duke gets all the fouls and complains how the other team never gets any.... Get him off the air.

TheRob8801
And here goes Elmore with more "complaining" about inconsistent officiating. He's calling the game like he's a Clemson announcer, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Elmore always complains about Duke getting all the calls. I don't know what his bias is, but it's there. :rolleyes:

DevilHorns

I like how he backtracked on his comment after the replay. He was just so dagum sure that it was a bad call before that replay.

_Gary
Get him off the air.

Or at least off the Duke games.

SupaDave
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Great defense in the last few minutes.

Vincetaylor
Len Elmore can't even come close to hiding his disdain for Duke. He and Digger should have to sit in a room for 24 hours and watch Duke highlights.

TheRob8801
I love the "you let the whole team down" chant, haha.

TheRob8801
03-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Of course Len doesn't say anything when the Clemson play travels in the lane.

Haha, it's pathetic.

TheRob8801
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Well...that was a 10 second violation.

_Gary
03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
This is really over the top with the complaining by Elmore. I mean the guy is literally complaining about every possession at this point. His dislike for Duke is as blatant tonight as I've seen it in a long time.

DukieInBrasil
03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
how does Mike Patrick still have a job? He messes up on people's names ALL THE TIME!! He hasn't said Brownell's name right once the whole game.

SupaDave
03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
While you guys watch Elmore, I'm watching Mason Plumlee and Tyler Thornton put on a hustle bonanza. Lots of good things to like about this game. I don't even hear the commentators.

Son of Mojo
03-02-2011, 10:43 PM
*in Homer voice* So much...............................

Elmore is really out of control. Yes, it was a 10 second violation--someone on the sideline should've called a TO at 26 seconds. But didn't the refs make up for that call immediately by calling an odd offensive foul on Tyler? Hmmmm........no mention of that call, eh? Show some consistency in your announcing, Len, other than being consistently biased.

Exiled_Devil
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
This is really over the top with the complaining by Elmore. I mean the guy is literally complaining about every possession at this point. His dislike for Duke is as blatant tonight as I've seen it in a long time.

I also found it amusing that when the Mason steal, Nolan-Mason-Kyle play, Elmore was silent for 30 seconds. He didn't say a thing for two possessions, until he could compliment Clemson on not getting a charge.

He is a joke of an announcer.

TheRob8801
03-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Kyle has 2 of the most beautiful blocks I've ever seen in this game.

dairedevil
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to start an announcer bashing. I watch the game and check out dbr during the time-outs. So, I've seen these great defensive plays we've had lately. Just hope we can keep it up and pull this game out.

SMO
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
*in Homer voice* So much...............................

Elmore is really out of control. Yes, it was a 10 second violation--someone on the sideline should've called a TO at 26 seconds. But didn't the refs make up for that call immediately by calling an odd offensive foul on Tyler? Hmmmm........no mention of that call, eh? Show some consistency in your announcing, Len, other than being consistently biased.

Singler's block was as senior a play as I've seen. That was all heart.

Exiled_Devil
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Kyle has 2 of the most beautiful blocks I've ever seen in this game.

Did you watch Shane in 2001?

Clearly, I'm a fan, but he has to have the #1 block - two hand roof, then back pass to Dunleavy(?) as he falls out of bounds. IIRC, that lead to the first of Dunleavy's 3 threes in the NC game.

Edit: Just caught up. That was beautiful.

TheRob8801
03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Did you watch Shane in 2001?

Clearly, I'm a fan, but he has to have the #1 block - two hand roof, then back pass to Dunleavy(?) as he falls out of bounds. IIRC, that lead to the first of Dunleavy's 3 threes in the NC game.

"two of" ;)

Billy Dat
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
We came out in the 2nd half and have been running a lot of the offense through Mason, the point center, and it has opened everything up. GREAT adjustment...who knew he had it in him. I like this development a lot!!!!

DangerDevil
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Well...that was a 10 second violation.

What is the actual rule? I didn't know that possession had to be established in the front court like Elmore claimed. I thought if the ball was in the air prior to 10 seconds that would not be a violation if that pass eventually made it over the half court line.

TheRob8801
03-02-2011, 10:53 PM
What is the actual rule? I didn't know that possession had to be established in the front court like Elmore claimed. I thought if the ball was in the air prior to 10 seconds that would not be a violation if that pass eventually made it over the half court line.

As far as I know it's always been the position of the ball, for 10-seconds and for backcourt. Who has possession and where didn't matter, but the ball was clearly not over the line when the clock hit 25.

SupaDave
03-02-2011, 10:54 PM
We came out in the 2nd half and have been running a lot of the offense through Mason, the point center, and it has opened everything up. GREAT adjustment...who knew he had it in him. I like this development a lot!!!!

Exactly - he's even brought the ball up court a couple times I believe.

sporthenry
03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
If the ball is neither on the floor or possessed by a player, the ball is considered at the point where the ball was last in contact with the player. That means, it doesn't cross half court until Singler touches the ball.

Billy Dat
03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Letting Mason catch, handle and make decisions has been huge. It moved Kyle and Nolan off the ball which allowed them to actually get better looks, it freed Seth up a little more...it has been great. In kind, they also started using Mason more to screen high for Nolan so that he could catch and distribute if Nolan got doubled off the screen. If Mason can be this kind of dynamic player, we can keep improving.

Gthoma2a
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Yikes... a foul and, "it seems like they are trying to return some kind of balance to the calls in this game." It takes a lot, but this seems a little over the top with some of the things being said.

Nolan makes a great play, and Len must have been caught with food in his mouth...

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 11:00 PM
That is what seniors do. Nolan Smith!! What a great drive!! Do you think next year that Miles makes that same play?

SMO
Letting Mason catch, handle and make decisions has been huge. It moved Kyle and Nolan off the ball which allowed them to actually get better looks, it freed Seth up a little more...it has been great. In kind, they also started using Mason more to screen high for Nolan so that he could catch and distribute if Nolan got doubled off the screen. If Mason can be this kind of dynamic player, we can keep improving.

I see an accusation of over-optimism in your future. This is clearly no place for positive thinking.

Billy Dat
Nolan needs to keep his cool in this mano a mano with Stitt. Let's put this game on ice.

House G
03-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Len must really be disappointed.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Did Len actually say that clemson was victimized by tough calls? I am just dumbfounded.

Bluedevil114
03-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Thank you seniors and Curry. Mason also had a solid game tonight.

Chris Randolph
03-02-2011, 11:14 PM
We did get the favor of the whistle (or no whistle at times) but it wasn't overwhelming as the bitter Len Elmore makes it out to be

Got the win, wasn't pretty but we battled (ourselves and Clemson). Give credit to Clemson they were physical and gritty, well played game by them

Nolan was frustrated all night, complaining/looking for calls, kind of seemed like he was feeling sorry for himself at times. Just gotta play through it. Hope his confidence isn't shaken, guess we will find out on Saturday night.... Fingers crossed