PDA

View Full Version : Poll Results - Feb 28 - Duke #4

sagegrouse
02-28-2011, 12:58 PM
In the Coaches Poll (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings)(ESPN/USA Today). Ohio State-Kansas-BYU-Duke-Pitt-Purdue. UNC rose to #13. VT got exactly one vote in the Coaches Poll. :eek:

Because Ohio State edged Kansas for #1, following the "Law of Population Dynamics," where the AP pool is more heavily weighted to population centers, Ohio State should rule in the AP as well.

sagegrouse

pfrduke
02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
In the Coaches Poll (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings)(ESPN/USA Today). Ohio State-Kansas-BYU-Duke-Pitt-Purdue. UNC rose to #13. VT got exactly one vote in the Coaches Poll. :eek:

Because Ohio State edged Kansas for #1, following the "Law of Population Dynamics," where the AP pool is more heavily weighted to population centers, Ohio State should rule in the AP as well.

sagegrouse

Sort of same 1-2-3-4 in the AP, as Duke tied with Pitt at the 4 spot (although Duke still got a #1 vote). UNC is also 13 in the AP, and Virginia Tech got exactly 22 points, coming in at 31st. Amazingly, someone in the associated press voting pool thinks that Long Island is one of the 25 best teams in the country.

-bdbd
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM

sagegrouse

Hmmm. I'll admit that I'm kind of surprised to see BYU jump all the way from 7th to third on the strength of the SDSU win (obviously SDSU is ranked top-10, but is anyone picking them as a N.C. "dark horse??"). At least we are very close to BYU in point totals, and would have a good shot to move ahead of them with a couple wins this week, including at #13 NC@CH.

Speaking of which, biases are coming out finally. NC jumps six (6!) spots in the poll on the strength of beating a near-bottom-of-the-ACC NC State squad, and a home 11-point win over middle-of-ACC-pack Maryland. Really? :confused:

I choose to see the glass half full -- it'll mean that much more for our SOS after we take 'em down for the ACC regular season crown next weekend. BTW, on a positive note, our SOS is being helped a lot by K-State and MSU's recent resurgences. :)

rotogod00
02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. I'll admit that I'm kind of surprised to see BYU jump all the way from 7th to third on the strength of the SDSU win (obviously SDSU is ranked top-10, but is anyone picking them as a N.C. "dark horse??"). At least we are very close to BYU in point totals, and would have a good shot to move ahead of them with a couple wins this week, including at #13 NC@CH.

Speaking of which, biases are coming out finally. NC jumps six (6!) spots in the poll on the strength of beating a near-bottom-of-the-ACC NC State squad, and a home 11-point win over middle-of-ACC-pack Maryland. Really? :confused:

I choose to see the glass half full -- it'll mean that much more for our SOS after we take 'em down for the ACC regular season crown next weekend. BTW, on a positive note, our SOS is being helped a lot by K-State and MSU's recent resurgences. :)

Don't forget St. John's (6 in a row)

Chitowndevil
02-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I cannot believe I'm about to defend the college hoops polls, which don't make a lot of sense much of the time, and UNC's ranking in particular. But here goes:

This is actually one of the rare cases when voting is pretty consistent. Last week BYU was #7 in both polls behind Duke, Kansas, Ohio St, Pitt, Texas, and SDSU (in different orders). Four of those teams lost, and BYU actually beat one of them.

UNC jumped ahead of Nova, UConn, Florida, Georgetown, Vanderbilt, and Arizona, all of whom lost.

In fact, Purdue, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Louisville, and Syracuse, in that order, were the five teams ahead of UNC in the AP last week which did NOT lose. They are all still ahead of UNC this week, and in the same order, with Texas sliding in between Purdue and ND, and SDSU between ND and Wisconsin due to losses.

Now one can certainly claim the pollsters ought to take quality of wins and losses more seriously. But at least they're consistent.

I choose to see the glass half full -- it'll mean that much more for our SOS after we take 'em down for the ACC regular season crown next weekend. BTW, on a positive note, our SOS is being helped a lot by K-State and MSU's recent resurgences.

The SOS point is a good one, but VT doesn't have enough games or the quality opponents on their schedule to shoot up the national rankings like St. John's did. At least the #1 seed picture is pretty simple now: Duke needs to win the ACC Tournament and hope BYU and Pitt lose in their respective conference tourneys. If Pitt wins both its games this week and Duke loses to UNC, it's down to us or BYU for the last #1 seed (Notre Dame could sneak in there, but at #11 RPI and #15 Pomeroy they need a lot of help).