PDA

View Full Version : Kyle and Nolan: Their last game in Cameron!

Lord Ash
02-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Ahhhhh!

Just want to say how much I've appreciated both of these young men and the time they have spent at Duke.

Both are obviously fantastic basketball players. But both represent the University so well in so many other ways... Kyle with his unusual artistic ability and funky sense of humor and himself, Nolan with his expansive smile and charisma and heart that seems to have a place in it for every player in basketball from 6th grade up to the NBA.

We have been very lucky to have these two men for four years, and I for one will miss them a lot.

RoyalBlue08
02-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I couldn't agree more. I think we as a fan base can sometimes take for granted having two seniors that are this talented and are such great kids. I hope the crazies go all out to make sure that these guys have a great senior night!

diveonthefloor
02-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I honestly think that K may break down and lose his composure before the game....I can't think of the last time he seemed this emotionally close to two graduating seniors.

I am pretty sure my household will go through a carton of Kleenex before it's over.

kong123
02-27-2011, 11:10 AM
THANK GOD!!!!! :cool:

diveonthefloor
02-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Kong, if we all didn't love your petroleum-encrusted-heel-loving inaneness so much, we'd ban that comment.:o

(Fortunately for you, we know it's the highest sign of praise from a Heel).

Kedsy
02-27-2011, 11:32 AM

I laughed out loud at this. Good one, Kong.

mkline09
02-27-2011, 11:46 AM

We all probably said the same thing about Hansbrough and Lawson.

CLW
02-27-2011, 12:27 PM
It is going to be sad to see Kyle and Nolan go.

Kyle has just been rock solid all 4 years and is without any doubt in my mind one of the best players to ever put on a Duke uniform.

Nolan has improved steadily all 4 years. It's amazing that he has worked through his early "struggles" and is now considered one of the Top 3 for national player of the year honors.

uh_no
02-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I honestly think that K may break down and lose his composure before the game....I can't think of the last time he seemed this emotionally close to two graduating seniors.

I'd say he was pretty close to the three guys last year....I think K has places in his heart for all the players that play in the program for 4 years

Cameron
02-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I'd say he was pretty close to the three guys last year....I think K has places in his heart for all the players that play in the program for 4 years

I agree with this. Coach openly displayed the same affection for Jon, Lance and Brian last season, in addition to guys like J.J. Redick and Chris Duhon in the past -- I've never seen Coach K more emotional than J.J. and Shelden's senior night. I'm just naming the more prominent examples, but, for our Coach, there is definitely a different kind of love -- not better or more meaningful, just different -- for the guys who, in some cases and some cases not, sacrificed personal gain from the NBA to make a few extra memories in Durham's gothic forest.

slower
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
I agree with this. Coach openly displayed the same affection for Jon, Lance and Brian last season, in addition to guys like J.J. Redick and Chris Duhon in the past -- I've never seen Coach K more emotional than J.J. and Shelden's senior night. I'm just naming the more prominent examples, but, for our Coach, there is definitely a different kind of love -- not better or more meaningful, just different -- for the guys who, in some cases and some cases not, sacrificed personal gain from the NBA to make a few extra memories in Durham's gothic forest.

You'd have to think that, all things considered, K will be at least as emotional for Nolan and Kyle as he was for JJ and Shelden. Kyle has been the most relentless warrior I've seen in the past 30 years of Duke basketball and Nolan is - well, Nolan is probably the most endearing player I've ever seen, as well as one of the most beloved. Gonna be a lot of tears flowing. Wouldn't it be remarkable if Johnny D. somehow managed to be in the house to see Nolan's last home game?

throatybeard
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Coach also had, has, quite a shine for Wojo.

And Shane and Nate in the same year.

And the whole 1986 crew.

And Hurley and THill in the same year.

It goes on and on.

superdave
02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
While Wednesday is their last game in Cameron, there's a lot of basketball left to be played in 2011!

pfrduke
02-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it's appropriate here as well. Kyle and Nolan have had incredible success in Cameron - better, perhaps, than any other graduating class in the program's history (although I leave that to the board's historians). They are, to date, 64-2 at home. They have lost to just one team thus far - North Carolina, in 2008 and 2009. They haven't lost a home game since that 2009 UNC game, which was 747 days ago. They are on the verge of consecutive home undefeated seasons. [all of the above was typed while knocking on wood]

Simply put, those two have spoiled the Cameron faithful - we (well, those of you who are lucky enough to be there) need to do our utmost to salute them Wednesday night.

camion
02-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it's appropriate here as well. Kyle and Nolan have had incredible success in Cameron - better, perhaps, than any other graduating class in the program's history (although I leave that to the board's historians). They are, to date, 64-2 at home. They have lost to just one team thus far - North Carolina, in 2008 and 2009. They haven't lost a home game since that 2009 UNC game, which was 747 days ago. They are on the verge of consecutive home undefeated seasons. [all of the above was typed while knocking on wood]

Simply put, those two have spoiled the Cameron faithful - we (well, those of you who are lucky enough to be there) need to do our utmost to salute them Wednesday night.

These are the good old days you will remember fondly in your dotage. Be sure to enjoy them now. :D

Rudy
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I assume ESPN won't cover the pregame ceremonies. Will video of it be available anywhere any time soon?

Lord Ash
02-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Those are some RIDICULOUS stats. Only losing to a SINGLE team in FOUR YEARS of home games? Just ridiculous. I've never heard of anything like that.

uh_no
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Those are some RIDICULOUS stats. Only losing to a SINGLE team in FOUR YEARS of home games? Just ridiculous. I've never heard of anything like that.

sure you have...kansas just came off of like a 60 game home winning streak

cruxer
02-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have tickets for Wednesday night's game and can't wait. I haven't been to a game at Cameron in 10 years or so. For those who've done senior night before, are the ceremonies before or after the game?

Here's to the Devils completing another undefeated home season!!

-c

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-28-2011, 03:57 PM
I assume ESPN won't cover the pregame ceremonies. Will video of it be available anywhere any time soon?
Check out Duke Blue Planet http://www.dukeblueplanet.com/ for photos or video covering that night's events.

weezie
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Thank you Kyle and Nolan! Very, very proud of you two fine, young men. Outstanding dedication to your team and your school.
I can't believe we're getting ready to send you both onwards with our blessings.
Gee whiz, ol'weezie is sure going to miss you guys. :o

Son of Jarhead
02-28-2011, 05:02 PM
... are the ceremonies before or after the game?-c

Yes.

I'm assuming things will go as in the recent past... Before the game, the seniors are introduced to the crowd individually so they get their own moment {Crazie Ovation} at center court to soak it all in. Then they all come together at center court, then usually call the whole team over, <<group hug>>, then off to the locker room for a moment, then... game on. After the game, the seniors come back out, grab the mic & speak to the crowd. Get there early... & stay late. Go Duke! Thank you, Seniors!

cruxer
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
... Get there early... & stay late. Go Duke! Thank you, Seniors!

Great! I'll love soaking it all in. What a great group of seniors to send off....

thanks for the info,
-c

Newton_14
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
True story. I attended the first game Kyle played in Cameron. After the game I spoke with my brother on the phone. He asked me "how the Singler kid looked", and I responded with "His number will hang in the rafters when he is finished at Duke". (I know that is being debated in another thread, and the debate should stay in that thread.) Who knows if the prediction ends up being correct, but either way, Kyle will go down as one of the all time Duke greats.

I have to concur with the poster who called him a warrior. Kyle is the toughest player I recall seeing wear the uniform. From the foul in the Wake game in Cameron where he hurt his wrist, but got enough immediately, air balled the first free throw in obvious pain, but then nailed the 2nd, to going over the scorer's table onto Dickie V, to rolling over after the illegal crack-back block/Pick from Howard to watch the Heyward miss, he has just refused to give in to pain. You just cannot shake this kid.

"Play center at 6'8 215?" Yeah coach, I can do that. Technique wise, one of the best post defenders Duke has ever had. Were he 2 inches taller with more length, he likely would have been a beast in the paint. "Play the 4?" Yeah coach, I can do that. "Play the 3 and become the best SF in the country as a Jr?" Yeah coach I can do that. "You are ready for the NBA if you want to go son". No coach, I love it here, so the NBA can wait. "So, can you slide back and forth from the 3 and the 4, while also being a Team Captain expected to lead?" Yeah coach, I can do that.

Just an amazing player and person. Easily one of my all time favorites.

Then there is Nolan. What a story. A good freshman year, held down slightly by the knee injury, but still showed flashes. Anyone recall the game at Maryland, Nolan's freshman year? Down something like 9 at the half, but Demarc, Gerald, and Nolan came out on fire in the 2nd half to erase the deficit and lead Duke to the victory. Wins the starting job over a Sr his 2nd year, starts out well, but then struggles, again after a knee injury that most forget, then the concussion from the brawler at Maryland, but bounces back with a really good game and nasty dunk in the ACC Finals against FSU, showing flashes of what was to come.

The incredible jump in his game last year to become 1/3 of the "Big 3" that leads Duke to every title possible! Ripping the heart out of Baylor. Knocking down a huge 3 late in the game, and reaching over to give Coach K a high five in the moment! Who does that? Playing on ball D, Duke style, for 40 games with no one on the bench to back him up, yet never fouling out of a game and helping leading the team to a National Title.

Then vaults to first team All America level, ACC POY, NPOY contender. Becoming a prolific scorer and pursuing history with a chance to lead the league in both points and assists!

Yet the better story might be Nolan off the court, a true ambassador for the program. A kid so endearing, that even the Duke haters cannot hate! A Duke PG the world loves? In the words of Dickie V... Are you Serious!!

Their stories are still being written though. Let's not forget that. Recall Jon Scheyer's answer to the reporter who asked him last year on Senior Night, something to the effect of "What is your favorite Duke moment?" Scheyer's response: It hasn't happened yet!

There is more to the Nolan and Kyle story, and here's to hoping the last chapter is a riveting classic!

cptnflash
02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
+1 to everything that has been said in this thread so far. I am so proud to root for great kids like Nolan and Kyle. They are truly among the greatest Blue Devils ever, regardless of what happens with their jerseys.

And special thanks to Kong for making me laugh. Yours might have been the best compliment of all! :cool:

dukebsbll14
02-28-2011, 11:56 PM
I posted this in the pre-game thread, but thought it would be more appropriate here. We just got this email from the head line monitor. Some nice stats about Nolan and Kyle.

SENIORS: We will distribute wristbands ON THE PLAZA ON TUESDAY FROM
12-4 AND WEDNESDAY FROM 12-2

We play Clemson in Cameron Wednesday at 9:00. It is the last home game
of the year and is Senior Night. Our seniors are leading this team.
Kyle is 5th all-time on the Duke Scoring List. Nolan is in the
discussion for National Player of the Year and is a lock for ACC
player of the year. In case you forgot, the two also helped lead Duke
to its 4th National Championship last season, and Kyle was named the
Most Outstanding Player in the tournament.

I want this game to be HUGE! Many of us have spent our past four
years with these two, and we need to show them how important they have
been to Duke, the basketball program, and most importantly, to us.
Think about the joy you felt when you watched Butler miss its
last-second halfcourt shot that secured Duke's national championship.
Remember the fact that Kyle turned down an opportunity to go to the
NBA to come back and play one more year for Duke University. Come out
and thank them for all the memories they have given to us. Memories
that we will have for the rest of our lives. This is the LAST time
they will play for Duke in Cameron... forever.

Contingent on us beating Clemson:

• We will be 34-0 the last 2 seasons in Cameron. Two perfect home
records in a row.

• Kyle and Nolan will have only lost 2 home games in their CAREERS in
Cameron. 65-2.

• Kyle and Nolan will graduate as having the BEST home record in Blue
Devil history. Better than Battier, better than Laettner, better than
Grant Hill and every other Duke legend.

As in years past, we will let in the first 200 in line, then seniors
WHO HAVE WRISTBANDS will get in, then any remaining students in the
walk-up line.

Of course, this message wouldn't be complete without a shoutout to
Casey Peters. Casey will also be celebrating Senior Night at
Wednesday's game. I would also like to point out that Duke is
undefeated in EVERY game that Casey has played in, so I think we all
know who needs to be on the floor at the end of the game next
Wednesday night.

See you ALL this Wednesday. Go Duke!

John Reynolds
Head Line Monitor

moonpie23
03-01-2011, 12:01 AM
thanks to kyle and nolan for all the thrills...

stay focused.........lots more basketball.....

wednesday's game !!!!

uh_no
03-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Their stories are still being written though. Let's not forget that. Recall Jon Scheyer's answer to the reporter who asked him last year on Senior Night, something to the effect of "What is your favorite Duke moment?" Scheyer's response: It hasn't happened yet!

Awesome post. Just a point of clarification. This was not at senior night. Around senior night, K and Mrs. take the seniors and their parents out to dinner/make them dinner. It was then that the Mrs. asked Jon what his greatest moment was, to which he responded that it hadn't happened yet. No reporter. No Senior night.

Newton_14
03-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Awesome post. Just a point of clarification. This was not at senior night. Around senior night, K and Mrs. take the seniors and their parents out to dinner/make them dinner. It was then that the Mrs. asked Jon what his greatest moment was, to which he responded that it hadn't happened yet. No reporter. No Senior night.

Ah, thanks. I crossed that up somehow. You are correct though.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Will Casey Peters be in the starting lineup tomorrow?

J_C_Steel
03-01-2011, 09:39 AM
True story. I attended the first game Kyle played in Cameron. After the game I spoke with my brother on the phone. He asked me "how the Singler kid looked", and I responded with "His number will hang in the rafters when he is finished at Duke". (I know that is being debated in another thread, and the debate should stay in that thread.) Who knows if the prediction ends up being correct, but either way, Kyle will go down as one of the all time Duke greats.

I have to concur with the poster who called him a warrior. Kyle is the toughest player I recall seeing wear the uniform. From the foul in the Wake game in Cameron where he hurt his wrist, but got enough immediately, air balled the first free throw in obvious pain, but then nailed the 2nd, to going over the scorer's table onto Dickie V, to rolling over after the illegal crack-back block/Pick from Howard to watch the Heyward miss, he has just refused to give in to pain. You just cannot shake this kid.

"Play center at 6'8 215?" Yeah coach, I can do that. Technique wise, one of the best post defenders Duke has ever had. Were he 2 inches taller with more length, he likely would have been a beast in the paint. "Play the 4?" Yeah coach, I can do that. "Play the 3 and become the best SF in the country as a Jr?" Yeah coach I can do that. "You are ready for the NBA if you want to go son". No coach, I love it here, so the NBA can wait. "So, can you slide back and forth from the 3 and the 4, while also being a Team Captain expected to lead?" Yeah coach, I can do that.

Just an amazing player and person. Easily one of my all time favorites.

Then there is Nolan. What a story. A good freshman year, held down slightly by the knee injury, but still showed flashes. Anyone recall the game at Maryland, Nolan's freshman year? Down something like 9 at the half, but Demarc, Gerald, and Nolan came out on fire in the 2nd half to erase the deficit and lead Duke to the victory. Wins the starting job over a Sr his 2nd year, starts out well, but then struggles, again after a knee injury that most forget, then the concussion from the brawler at Maryland, but bounces back with a really good game and nasty dunk in the ACC Finals against FSU, showing flashes of what was to come.

The incredible jump in his game last year to become 1/3 of the "Big 3" that leads Duke to every title possible! Ripping the heart out of Baylor. Knocking down a huge 3 late in the game, and reaching over to give Coach K a high five in the moment! Who does that? Playing on ball D, Duke style, for 40 games with no one on the bench to back him up, yet never fouling out of a game and helping leading the team to a National Title.

Then vaults to first team All America level, ACC POY, NPOY contender. Becoming a prolific scorer and pursuing history with a chance to lead the league in both points and assists!

Yet the better story might be Nolan off the court, a true ambassador for the program. A kid so endearing, that even the Duke haters cannot hate! A Duke PG the world loves? In the words of Dickie V... Are you Serious!!

There is more to the Nolan and Kyle story, and here's to hoping the last chapter is a riveting classic!

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

To me, Nolan and Kyle willed the Duke program back to the top of college basketball after a few years of the team struggling in March. Without their relentless efforts, I don't know if Duke brings in Kyrie Irving and Austin Rivers.

I can't wait to see them on that Cameron Indoor floor one last time...

Lord Ash
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Kyle will absolutely have his jersey retired. K was recently talking about him in GLOWING terms... about fans maybe not appreciating that Kyle is one of the greatest Blue Devils to ever wear the uniform (not verbatim.)

I would be STUNNED if his jersey is not retired.

David Bunkley
03-01-2011, 12:41 PM
It seems like just yesterday that Kyle was the overachieving freshman and Nolan was struggling to learn his way. Watching these two grow and succeed has been one of the greatest things I have witnessed in my years of being a college sports fan. Considering where Duke basketball was two years ago (bad for our standards, great by pretty much anyone else's), it has been amazing to watch these two guys (along with last year's seniors) bring Duke back to the top of college basketball's elite. Kyle has been the ultimate warrior for Duke and Nolan the ultimate showman-when you combine this with Casey's journey, I think that this senior class will be remembered for many, many years...and not just because their numbers will hang in the rafters.

GO DUKE!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Kyle will absolutely have his jersey retired. K was recently talking about him in GLOWING terms... about fans maybe not appreciating that Kyle is one of the greatest Blue Devils to ever wear the uniform (not verbatim.)

I would be STUNNED if his jersey is not retired.

He's had his ups and downs in his 4 years, but yes, his overall body of work at Duke lends me to believe his jersey will be retired. His stats speak for themselves!

uh_no
03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
can we NOT have another thread dedicated to whether or not nolan and kyle will get their number's retired???

mkline09
03-01-2011, 12:58 PM
True story. I attended the first game Kyle played in Cameron. After the game I spoke with my brother on the phone. He asked me "how the Singler kid looked", and I responded with "His number will hang in the rafters when he is finished at Duke". !

I said the same thing after I saw him play in an exhibition against Barton College his freshman year.

davekay1971
03-01-2011, 01:02 PM
I feel as emotional about seeing Kyle and Nolan's Cameron careers come to an end as I ever remember feeling about any players in the last 30+ years of watching Duke basketball.

I've been privileged to watch so many great players stay for four years at Duke and play their last games at Cameron. From last year's trio all the way back to watching my fellow seniors' senior night when Hurley and T played their last games at Cameron. There have been a non-stop parade of great athletes, great representatives of our school, and simply great young men having their senior nights over those years, but somehow, for reasons I have trouble clarifying, this senior night for these two young men is hitting me particularly hard.

Some things that I think are contributing to that:
1) They're just great kids. As stated above, Kyle is a classic lunch-pail blue collar worker, who just brings 100% effort every night, and who has for four years. His stats and accomplishments speak for themselves, which is good, because he doesn't bother doing a lot of talking about himself. Nolan is just great to watch, both on and off the court, the kind of kid you have to love. Even Duke-haters like Nolan. Openly. Hating Nolan is like hating Santa Claus.

2) What they've done. Their freshman year, Duke was, for Duke, struggling. They've gone from WVU, to Villanova, to the National Championship, to a great senior season that has us all hoping for more greatness to come next month. Kyle arrived a star and has only improved. Nolan has exploded on the court over the last 2 years.

3) I'm getting paternal. My son is only 12 (next month), my daughters 8 and 2, but I'm starting to feel the generation gap between me (coming up on 40 this September) and the 18-22 year old kids who wear the uniform. It's a big difference loving a contemporary (like Hurley and Hill in my class of '93) excel, and watching guys 20 years younger grow and learn and struggle and succeed. Frankly, I like it better now, and I definitely get more sentimental about it.

So I'm ready to watch Kyle and Nolan come out for their last 40 minutes of game-time in Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I hope their senior night sends them out on the kind of high note we all want for them. If any two guys deserve to walk off the Cameron floor for the last time with a victory, it's these two.

PADukeMom
03-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Will Casey Peters be in the starting lineup tomorrow?

I am sure he will. K usually starts all seniors on senior night. Man I am starting to cry already. The thought of not seeing the #2 with Nolan wearing it or #12 without Kyle. SMH! How did 4 years pass so quickly?

anon
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
I am sure he will. K usually starts all seniors on senior night.

Sorry, but I don't think that's true, especially since our senior night is so often against North Carolina, in which case we just can't afford to not having our tried-and-true starting lineup on the floor.

PADukeMom
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry, but I don't think that's true, especially since our senior night is so often against North Carolina, in which case we just can't afford to not having our tried-and-true starting lineup on the floor.

They only play until the first time-out. It's not like they play the entire game. Besides not to overlook them but Clemson isn't UNC.

DukieinSoCal
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Looking ahead a bit, I noticed that UNC has a couple of guys I've never heard of plus Justin Knox as the only seniors on their roster. Will Roy likely start all 3 of these guys on Saturday for their senior game?
If so, maybe we can jump out to an early lead. The way we've been starting games this season, it could make a big difference.

mcdukie
03-01-2011, 03:05 PM
I guess different seniors mean different things to people. For me, Nolan will go down as my favorite Dukie because during his time at Duke my son became a Duke fan and we would sit down and watch to see what "Noles" would do. Maybe because I am from the DC area I have a special place in my heart for him, but I remember seeing him in high school and even then he just seemed like such a nice young man. I know there have been flashier Duke players, but Nolan Smith is my favorite. I think tomorrow night, I will be very emotional when they call his name. I don't even know the guy, but I just love his story and the person he is. To him, as well as Singler, I wish nothing but the best. Go Duke!!!!

AZLA
03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks, Seniors.

My favorite all-time Duke players are Grant, Shane, and continuing in that echelon, Nolan feels like the next progression.

I think it's a combination of his class, athletic ability, intelligence, humor, and just a sense I get that Nolan genuinely appreciates and enjoys the Duke experience.

We all know and appreciate his backstory. But to also go from limited playing minutes early on; to working hard; to dusting himself off after the concussion, to winning the National Championship; to passing on the NBA and returning his senior year; to overcoming team adversity of losing Kyrie; and, to entering into the ranks of NPOY contender -- wow! What a list of accolades.

I've already retired #2 in my mind and can't thank Nolan enough for playing his heart out on the court and embodying Duke excellence off the court.

uh_no
03-01-2011, 05:05 PM
They only play until the first time-out. It's not like they play the entire game. Besides not to overlook them but Clemson isn't UNC.

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think steve started against UNC last year....I seemed to remember they hold sr night festivities on the previous home game on the even years and letting UNC be UNC.

anon
03-02-2011, 01:39 AM

You're wrong on this one. For example, Steve Johnson did not start against UNC nor Tulsa (our next-to-last home game and as far as I recall the "official" senior night for obvious reasons) last year. Joe Pagliuca did not start against Maryland in 2007.

Go Duke, and thank you, seniors!

uh_no
03-02-2011, 01:47 AM
(our next-to-last home game and as far as I recall the "official" senior night for obvious reasons)

I'm trying with all my might to remember last year, but I think I agree with you that the 'official' senior night is never the carolina game. THey did come out after the UNC game (the whole team) after last year's game, and they talked about the championship, but I don't think it was a senior thing.

FOr what its worth, the other caveat of a senior night is that duke seniors get priority entrance to the game (first 200 walkup, then all seniors, then rest of walkup), and for obvious reasons, this cannot be the carolina game

anon
03-02-2011, 01:58 AM
In any case, I do hope Casey sees some time on the floor on Wednesday. He deserves it.

Dev11
03-02-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm trying with all my might to remember last year, but I think I agree with you that the 'official' senior night is never the carolina game. THey did come out after the UNC game (the whole team) after last year's game, and they talked about the championship, but I don't think it was a senior thing.

FOr what its worth, the other caveat of a senior night is that duke seniors get priority entrance to the game (first 200 walkup, then all seniors, then rest of walkup), and for obvious reasons, this cannot be the carolina game

As I recall, there are two separate entities known as "Senior Night," one for players and one for students. For students, it is the last home non-UNC game (so they can do that senior priority entrance without messing with tenting), and for players, it is the last home game, when they are honored before and after the game. Go back and check out the highlights from last year's UNC thrashapalooza, and right before Miles's last alley-oop, Dan Shulman mentions that its "Senior Night here in Cameron."

RoyalBlue08
03-02-2011, 08:36 AM
A nice story about senior night on WRAL including some interesting quotes from Coach K:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/college_basketball/story/9196874/

dliles
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
It seems like just yesterday that Kyle was the overachieving freshman and Nolan was struggling to learn his way. Watching these two grow and succeed has been one of the greatest things I have witnessed in my years of being a college sports fan. Considering where Duke basketball was two years ago (bad for our standards, great by pretty much anyone else's), it has been amazing to watch these two guys (along with last year's seniors) bring Duke back to the top of college basketball's elite. Kyle has been the ultimate warrior for Duke and Nolan the ultimate showman-when you combine this with Casey's journey, I think that this senior class will be remembered for many, many years...and not just because their numbers will hang in the rafters.

GO DUKE!!!

It has been said that time flies when you are having fun. It seems like Kyle, Nolan, and Casey were freshmen only two weeks ago. Coach K and I are the same age and I can only imagine how he must be feeling right now.

A heartfelt thank you to our seniors.

9F

MCFinARL
03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
As I recall, there are two separate entities known as "Senior Night," one for players and one for students. For students, it is the last home non-UNC game (so they can do that senior priority entrance without messing with tenting), and for players, it is the last home game, when they are honored before and after the game. Go back and check out the highlights from last year's UNC thrashapalooza, and right before Miles's last alley-oop, Dan Shulman mentions that its "Senior Night here in Cameron."

This sounds right--although I think at least once the senior priority entrance was for the UNC game--in 2004 when my daughter was a senior and went to the game. I think that was Roy's first year, and a rebuilding year for UNC, which may have been why it was the priority entrance game.

dukebluesincebirth
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Just another die-hard here putting in my 2 cents about two terrific kids... Let me begin by simply saying THANK YOU BOTH. I've been following Duke bball closely for about 25 years now and sometimes kids come through the program that are just what I refer to as "classic Duke basketball kids." It's a rarity to have two of them on the same team for the same four years. When I think of these two guys I think of words like classy, intelligent, dedicated, reliable, and the most important of all: WINNERS. I'll miss them both dearly. What the heck, lets go get another one before it's all said and done!

BigZ
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Kyle and Nolan. Two of the best Devils to ever wear the white and blue. As teammates I can't think of two guys to ever play better together and be supportive of one another. No doubt now that number 2 belongs in the rafters along with number 12.

wilson
03-02-2011, 11:33 AM
This sounds right--although I think at least once the senior priority entrance was for the UNC game--in 2004 when my daughter was a senior and went to the game. I think that was Roy's first year, and a rebuilding year for UNC, which may have been why it was the priority entrance game.This is incorrect. That was my senior year too, and priority entrance was for the GA Tech game (which we lost).

wsb3
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Thank you Kyle and Nolan for four years of giving all that you had. Kyle has been a main stay from day one, and Nolan reminds me of seniors from years past where they don't set the world on fire from day one but keep working until one day their growth is so great that we have National Player of the Year conversations and include their name.

Funny about the comments about Coach K and the emotion. This morning as I was working out at home I plugged a Duke game in the DVD. Senior Night from last year.

superdave
03-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Anyone know how the Crazies will honor the seniors tonight? I doubt it will show up on Espn, so I'm sure everyone here would love a report back.

superdave
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Both from last season.

My favorite Kyle moment is him knocking down the 2nd free throw after injuring his wrist and air-balling the 1st. That one play is emblematic of him on the court.

My favorite Nolan moment is him high-fiving Coach K in the Baylor game after knocking down a huuuuuuge 3 late in the game. A great example of how joyful he is at times on the court.

I think the Texas game in the 2nd round of the NCAAs in 2009 was when those two guys grew up a lot. Hostile Unc crowd. Texas was at their throats the whole night. The Duke guys willed the team to victory. Maybe that game was a lot about other guys - Scheyer and Henderson particularly - but you have to learn how to win, and they've done a lot of winning ever since. The other game was at Unc last year (Mason's follow-up, reverse dunk) where the team sort of realized they were the better team and just took off. Now look at how much confidence these two play with! It's been great watching them grow.

marinbobbyduhon
03-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I cried with joy the day that Kyle signed his LOI with Duke. I have been a Duke fan since 1966 and it's the only time I cried at a LOI, but not the only time that I have cried, of course. Tonight the tears will be flowing for both Kyle and Nolan. Heck, I am starting to cry just typing this. These last four years have gone by so quickly.
I wish Kyle and Nolan the very best in life - they are wonderful ambassadors for Duke University. I am hoping for several more games for these Seniors and to go out as befitting them - National Champions once more.

peloton
03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
I just wanted to say, "thanks very much" to the 3 seniors....Casey, Kyle, and Nolan. Each of you in your own unique way have made all of us as Duke fans very proud, and I'm not simply referring to your athletic talents. You three have been great ambassadors for Duke University as much as you have been for Duke basketball. Thanks again...we really enjoyed the ride, guys. Best of luck to each of you in the future.

dukebsbll14
03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I cried with joy the day that Kyle signed his LOI with Duke. I have been a Duke fan since 1966 and it's the only time I cried at a LOI, but not the only time that I have cried, of course. Tonight the tears will be flowing for both Kyle and Nolan. Heck, I am starting to cry just typing this. These last four years have gone by so quickly.
I wish Kyle and Nolan the very best in life - they are wonderful ambassadors for Duke University. I am hoping for several more games for these Seniors and to go out as befitting them - National Champions once more.

I was getting choked up a little bit during the speeches and at the end of the Alma Mater. I almost lost it when Casey was introduced at the beginning and it looked like he was trying to fight back tears. I love that kid. I love guys that work hard towards achieving their dreams. Dangit, I'm only a freshman, but with the season ending (in Cameron) it feels like I'm leaving too. How the heck am I going to hold it together on my senior night????

And lets win a national championship this year. I'm not ready to see Nolan, Kyle and Casey go. Not yet. Lets goooooooo!!

RockyMtDevil
03-03-2011, 12:45 AM
We are very lucky to have two outstanding student athletes who represent Duke so well, what classy guys and outstanding players they are.

We are going to miss these fellas big time! Thanks guys, you two are rocks and have not only stabilized the program, but taken it up a notch, which is hard to do at Duke! Amazing four years, some of the best winners ever on and off the floor.

Proud to support such wonderful folks!

juise
03-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Dangit, I'm only a freshman, but with the season ending (in Cameron) it feels like I'm leaving too. How the heck am I going to hold it together on my senior night????

I remember feeling this way as a freshman when Shane (and Nate and JD Simpson) gave their farewell speeches on senior day. Of course, we had just lost to Maryland and 'Los had just broken his foot, so it was a bit more somber. I hope this season ends the same way that one did.

I was thinking about how long it has been since there have been seniors that I would miss seeing as much as I'll miss Kyle and Nolan (particularly Nolan). I love Jon, J.J., Shelden and Chris (and others - DeMarcus, Lance, Zoubs, Daniel), but I think Shane was the last senior who really moved me like Nolan. I know that I'm preaching to choir about how important he's been to the program and how wonderful it's been to see him grow. It's truly been a privilege.

DevilWearsPrada
03-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Night is always emotional, and the end of 4 years. How quickly that time has passed by. Kyle, has always been a Warrior. The kid just will Not be denied. Kyle is the quiet leader, and I loved his speech last night.

Casey, has worked hard to wear a Duke uniform, and he deserves the best. I am sure we will see him, at the Girls Basketball games for Sister, Haley.

And Nolan!!! Nolan has evolved! What a great kid! Even if you aren't a Duke fan, you have to love Nolan. Mr Personality! Nolan Smith, is my National Player of the Year. And since, Kyrie, has been out, Nolan Smith, just took over leading the Duke Devils, and has exploded his game and stats. I believe, Derek Smith, is looking down on his son, and lifting Nolan to that greater power.

Thank you Seniors for 4 wonderful years, a National Championship, many trophies and accomplishments, 2 undefeated seasons in Cameron Indoor. And many many memories of great basketball!

But for now, get back to work! There is alot more basketball to be played! Next up, The Tarholes! Go get em. Take the Devil's Trident, and SPORK THE HOLES!!

and as always,

Lets Go Duke!

Devil07
03-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Duke Blue Planet (in typical top-notch fashion) just uploaded a real nice Singler/Smith highlight video: http://www.youtube.com/dukeblueplanet#p/u/0/n3LGH4HF1uY

Duke was truly lucky to have these two great players and great ambassadors for the program. I was thinking last night how rare it is today to be able to have a senior night with two All-Americans. You just don't see that much very more, and to echo what has already been said, I'm really going to miss seeing both of them (and Casey!) playing once this season comes to an end. Thanks for 4 great years guys!