PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Va Tech (Feb 26, 2011)

JBDuke
02-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 64-60 loss at Virginia Tech?

Les Grossman
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
sure wish our bigs could figure out how to box out

DukeDevilDeb
02-26-2011, 11:36 PM
And who voted for Seth? He would be embarrassed to see that there. He's a great kid, but tonight was most certainly not his night.

dukepsy1963
02-26-2011, 11:36 PM
I can't pick anyone this time.

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 11:38 PM
I voted Nolan because I thought he gave the best overall effort with his guarding of Delaney. For the most part, I thought Nolan played under control, got the ball to the hoop, and took pretty good shots overall. No one else could take pressure off him tonight.

bjornolf
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
I loved that little hook Mason showed. He also seemed to have the most consistent effort. I'd love to see him develop a little more so we could have a legit inside-outside game. That would put SO much more pressure on defenses. He doesn't need to turn into Zoubek, though that would be nice, or recreate "the big three", but if we could utilize him enough to force defenses to respect him, it would add another dimension to the offense. He could definitely develop into a consistent double-double guy this season. Bottom line, I think he should touch the ball almost every time down the floor, if for nothing else than to force the defense to move more. It's also a great way to reverse the ball quickly for open shots if he continues to work on his passing out of the post.

weezie
02-27-2011, 08:58 AM
I miss Lance.

buddy
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
MOTM should be a difference maker. Nolan made a silly charge when we had a chance to take control of the game. Kyle walked when we had the chance to take control of the game. Seth demonstrated an inability to control his emotions. Ryan and Miles had two points and 5 rebounds in 43 minutes. Mason had a consistent game, but has to take some responsibility for our being outrebounded, and especially for letting VT get so many offensive boards. For some reason, when we got the lead in the second half, we refused to drive into the zone. A team loss, with everyone contributing.

Wander
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
How exactly is Mason leading this? The reasons this wasn't a blowout were Singler drawing fouls and, more importantly, Nolan's outstanding defense. Nolan should be running away with this...

Ultrarunner
02-27-2011, 12:40 PM
How exactly is Mason leading this? The reasons this wasn't a blowout were Singler drawing fouls and, more importantly, Nolan's outstanding defense. Nolan should be running away with this...

I voted for Mason because he was consistent and played within the offense. His scoring likely would have been higher if Nolan or Kyle would pass the ball instead of going 1 on 3. He was okay in the rebounding department but could have been tougher in the post on defense. Still, a solid performance on a night where that was in short supply.

Andre played a very respectable game.

My heart goes out to Seth. This is not the game he envisioned. Learn, grow. It's okay.

Nolan did play excellent defense but if he's going to play our equivalent of a point guard he needs to keep his head up. Continually driving into a collapsing defense and not distributing was a contributing factor to the poor offensive numbers we had.

Kyle drew fouls until he decided he'd rather throw up threes than play to his strengths. I was hoping that this was out of his system. Different players should be using different "daggers" to put teams away. JJ's dagger was the 25 foot 3-pointer. Kyle's dagger is a more like a mace. Or used to be.

I admit to being slightly disappointed in our senior leadership. I also admit to being very spoiled. Last year's team showed enormous trust in each other. This team doesn't yet demostrate that level of trust.

Next play.

Acymetric
02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
My heart goes out to Seth. This is not the game he envisioned. Learn, grow. It's okay.

Something I haven't seen mentioned about Seth yet is that he should have (at least) 1 more chance to show his game at VT.

jv001
02-27-2011, 02:57 PM
After a not so good night of sleep and attending church, I voted for Mason. Kyle, Nolan and Ryan were 1 for 14 from 3point range. Mason goes 4 for 5 inside, plays good defense with 2 blocks and 1 steal. I would have liked to see a few more of those jump hooks. Go Duke!

ArnieMc
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Kyle had a double double - leading the team in points and rebounds. He was nearly the only one that was able to draw a foul, shooting 9 of 10 from the line (the rest of the team was 1 of 3), and he played great defense. The only problem was that he missed a bunch of shots. Most of them were good shots - he just missed them. I think he did more than anybody else.