PDA

View Full Version : Rough Start for Duke LAX

MCFinARL
02-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Duke lost to Penn today, 7-3, to go 1-2 on the season so far. Next week we play Maryland, which destroyed Georgetown today.

The write-up on the Duke website suggested the game was statistically fairly even (looking at ground balls, face-offs won, shots, etc.) despite the lopsided score. But one statistic in the box score stuck out to me--Penn had 26 shots, including 18 shots on goal; Duke had 24 shots, including 12 on goal. The in-game blog on insidelacrosse.com suggested that the Penn defense stifled our offense--perhaps they forced us into bad shots. In Coach Danowski's words, "we were not mentally where we need to be to compete."

This is a young team with a lot of new players and new lineups--but they have a major uphill battle ahead of them. For Duke to score only three goals in a game is, frankly, pretty shocking.

chrishoke
02-26-2011, 06:19 PM
No goals in the first half - down 5-0.

jkidd31
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
The Maryland game could be ugly. Many of the analysts on Inside Lacrosse said Howell could drop his goals in half this season because of the lack of a guy who can create shots for others. It's still early, but the freshman are going have to step up quick if they want to make the tournament.

juise
03-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Duke is tied 7-7 with Maryland, 4 minutes left. Game is on ESPN3.

pkscoach
03-05-2011, 03:02 PM
What a great finish! Howell ties the game with 3 seconds left in regulation, and Duke beats the Terps 9-8 in OT!

MCFinARL
03-05-2011, 03:09 PM
What a great finish! Howell ties the game with 3 seconds left in regulation, and Duke beats the Terps 9-8 in OT!

Yes, this was spectacular. I didn't think we would be able to regain the momentum after we let Maryland score 4 straight. The beginning of the game looked discouraging, as MD scored 2 goals on their first 2 shots. But Duke played really well on defense and well enough on offense the rest of the way. Sounds silly to say this was a crucial win this early in the season, but I think it was--with the tough schedule we have going forward, we are going to have to beat some teams that are ranked ahead of us if we want to get into the NCAA tournament.

jkidd31
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, this was spectacular. I didn't think we would be able to regain the momentum after we let Maryland score 4 straight. The beginning of the game looked discouraging, as MD scored 2 goals on their first 2 shots. But Duke played really well on defense and well enough on offense the rest of the way. Sounds silly to say this was a crucial win this early in the season, but I think it was--with the tough schedule we have going forward, we are going to have to beat some teams that are ranked ahead of us if we want to get into the NCAA tournament.

Wolf had a big game. They absoulutely needed this win. The schedule doesn't get any easier, so stealing a W from a top 5 team hopefully gets things headed in the right direction.