PDA

View Full Version : Question about new men's golf coach

chrishoke
06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
What do folks think of our new men's golf coach?

OZZIE4DUKE
06-26-2007, 05:08 PM
What do folks think of our new men's golf coach?

Don't know anything about him other than what was written in the linked article. But what I do know is that he is not (Chuck) DukeTaylor, which is too bad.

dukemomLA
06-27-2007, 03:36 AM
As someone who currently lives in L.A., I think he'll be a terrific fit. He cares about academics as well as the potential of a pro career for his players.

I hope my predictions prove true. He is excited about moving to a university with our excellence on all fronts. Let's welcome him with applause.

SoCalDukeFan
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
so others may be more in the know but he looks like a great choice and an indication that Duke is serious about athletics.

SoCal

jimsumner
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
"an indication that Duke is serious about athletics."

As opposed to when Myers was coach and Duke wasn't serious? Sorry but I don't pretend to understand this.

Indoor66
06-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Maybe as opposed to the ongoing criticism of the athletic administration found on this board?

duketaylor
06-28-2007, 10:59 AM
WOW!! What a resume he has. I'd have one question for him, why Duke? Considering what he's accomplished to-date, this almost seems like a step backwards. Looks like a great hire for the Devils. Kudos to those on the selection committee, many of whom I know well. GO DUKE!!

Clipsfan
06-28-2007, 01:07 PM
WOW!! What a resume he has. I'd have one question for him, why Duke? Considering what he's accomplished to-date, this almost seems like a step backwards. Looks like a great hire for the Devils. Kudos to those on the selection committee, many of whom I know well. GO DUKE!!

I have to admit, I was wondering the same thing. I was going to ask one of my friends about him (my friend walked on to UCLA in the late 90s) but I don't know if he stays in touch with things on the golf team.

bill brill
06-30-2007, 11:02 AM
the new golf coach was the co-coach of the u.s. team in japan last year with dan brooks. that helped. also extremely beneficial in getting a guy with an amazing resume who's leaving what likely will be the no. 1 team in the nation in '08, is that he faced a 2 1/2 hour commute to work in los angeles. many nights he spent in his office and showered in the team's locker area. he has a 4 and 16-month in his family, and nobody -- nobody -- has better or more convenient facilities. given vincent's track record, could duke become something more than a sleeping giant. I think this follows a succession of great hires -- bozman, mcnally, danowski, mccallie, the swimming and diving coaches.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I think this follows a succession of great hires -- bozman, mcnally, danowski, mccallie, the swimming and diving coaches.

Bill, it sounds to me like you are trying to build up Aleva's performance as AD to us. I'm glad he hired a potentially great coach, but....

duketaylor
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Ozzie and many of you know of my passion for Duke athletics, otherwise I wouldn't bother here, or elsewhere. I've played golf with OZ and have had other occassions to get together. I wanted the chance to interview for this position. I was not granted that wish. I hold most of the career and season records for Duke golf. I am disappointed my wish went unappreciated, I will now attempt for the assistant coaching position, if available. I've accepted what's happened and will live with it, but I would like to be a larger part of Duke. I'd be more than happy to move and help the school I love. Period.

chrishoke
07-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Good luck Taylor!

Clipsfan
07-02-2007, 06:25 PM
the new golf coach was the co-coach of the u.s. team in japan last year with dan brooks. that helped. also extremely beneficial in getting a guy with an amazing resume who's leaving what likely will be the no. 1 team in the nation in '08, is that he faced a 2 1/2 hour commute to work in los angeles. many nights he spent in his office and showered in the team's locker area. he has a 4 and 16-month in his family, and nobody -- nobody -- has better or more convenient facilities. given vincent's track record, could duke become something more than a sleeping giant. I think this follows a succession of great hires -- bozman, mcnally, danowski, mccallie, the swimming and diving coaches.

The commute makes some sense, as in general it was hard to figure out why he left UCLA. As you say, the team is very solid right now and it's a great school with the most storied athletics of any school. I don't understand why he wouldn't move closer vs. commuting, as that seems easier to do vs. moving across the country. It's expensive to live here as compared to NC, but that's a fairly excessive step to avoid looking for something withing 30 minutes of UCLA.