PDA

View Full Version : If Karl Malone had a son, he'd send him to Coach K

Poincaré
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Audio (jump to the 28:47 mark) (http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Karl-Malone-2-24-111.mp3)

Near the end of this long interview, Malone is asked about what coaches other than Jerry Sloan he would have liked to play for, and he answers Larry Brown (yuck, I guess he doesn't know much about Larry's penchant for blaming players through media games) and Coach K. He goes on to say that if he had a son playing high school ball, he would absolutely send him to Coach K.

It's a very nice compliment.

sagegrouse
02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Audio (jump to the 28:47 mark) (http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Karl-Malone-2-24-111.mp3)

Near the end of this long interview, Malone is asked about what coaches other than Jerry Sloan he would have liked to play for, and he answers Larry Brown (yuck, I guess he doesn't know much about Larry's penchant for blaming players through media games) and Coach K. He goes on to say that if he had a son playing high school ball, he would absolutely send him to Coach K.

It's a very nice compliment.

FWIW, in a recent interview with Christian Laettner about his NBA career, he expressed regret that he didn't get to play for a truly great coach who would have helped him develop his game. The names mentioned: Pat Riley and Larry Brown.

sagegrouse

Poincaré
02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
FWIW, in a recent interview with Christian Laettner about his NBA career, he expressed regret that he didn't get to play for a truly great coach who would have helped him develop his game. The names mentioned: Pat Riley and Larry Brown.

sagegrouse

Could you clarify a little bit? Should I take this to mean that Laettner does not consider Coach K a "truly great coach" or that he thinks that Coach K did not help develop his game?

I ask because there's a lot of room for interpretation in what you are reporting. Some of those interpretations (highlighted above) are not very pleasant.

Thanks.

Jeff Frosh
02-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Could you clarify a little bit? Should I take this to mean that Laettner does not consider Coach K a "truly great coach" or that he thinks that Coach K did not help develop his game?

I ask because there's a lot of room for interpretation in what you are reporting. Some of those interpretations (highlighted above) are not very pleasant.

Thanks.

I read it as him saying that he didn't get to play for a truly great coach IN THE NBA.

dukedoc
02-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Thanks.

I interpreted that post as indicating Laettner was commenting about his NBA career specifically.

Faison1
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Thanks.

I had to read it twice, as well. But there is only one way to interpret the quote: "NBA Coaches". Not college coaches.

I remember towards the end of Laettner's career, Coach K went to see him play. In that one game, Laettner scored more than 20 points. Then he went back to less impressive performances. My guess is Laettner needed more passion from a coach in order to push him to his limits.....

Poincaré
02-25-2011, 04:22 PM
I read it as him saying that he didn't get to play for a truly great coach IN THE NBA.

Yes, that's how I want to interpret it, too. But we are Duke fans through and through so I don't know how much of that is my emotion and how much of that is my brain. In a roundabout way, I was just hoping that sage could confirm this better interpretation with context.