PDA

View Full Version : Shane Battier traded to Memphis

ns7
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Unfortunately Memphis is overloaded on forwards. Houston needed a center and acquired Hasheem Thabeet (and a 1st round pick).

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/02/24/trade-tracker-all-the-latest-rumors/?eref=sihp

lmb
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
There's a chance he will be teammates with Josh McRoberts too.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/24/grizzlies-trade-thabeet-battier-mayo-goes-pacers-m/

superdave
02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Looks like McRoberts is staying put...the teams did not get their paperwork in to the league by the 3pm deadline.

Also, the Battier deal looks like a way for Memphis to save face on Thabeet (top 5 all time bust?!) by getting some value for him and to clear cap space since Battier's is an expiring contract. Poor Shane - stuck behind Gay who is playing 39 mpg (http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/stats/). I would expect Shane to be able to sign with a contender in the off-season though - teams love him for his D and corner 3.

Aditya
02-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Apparently Gay is injured for five weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Au7zKEwb76Dy9TkXsb1o6Lq8vLYF?slug=aw-battiergrizzlies122411

Maybe after Gay comes back Battier will take Sam Young's spot in the lineup. Slightly different positions but it could work IMO.

cameroncrazy3104
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I live in Memphis and Battier leaving was one of the worst grizzly moments of my lifetime. Now that hes back I cant be happier. Gay is out with a shoulder injury for at least a month and possibly the year. With the Grizz already having Tony Allen who is a shut down defender, I cant wait to see the defense a line up with Allen, Battier, and Gasol could have. They get rid of the worst draft pick in team history and pick up arguably the most loved player they have had since they moved to Memphis.

I can imagine the ovation he will get on Saturday.

diveonthefloor
02-24-2011, 07:12 PM
I live in Memphis and Battier leaving was one of the worst grizzly moments of my lifetime. Now that hes back I cant be happier. Gay is out with a shoulder injury for at least a month and possibly the year. With the Grizz already having Tony Allen who is a shut down defender, I cant wait to see the defense a line up with Allen, Battier, and Gasol could have. They get rid of the worst draft pick in team history and pick up arguably the most loved player they have had since they moved to Memphis.

I can imagine the ovation he will get on Saturday.

He is still beloved in Memphis. Don't know if he will start on Saturday, but the moment he is announced into the lineup, they'll have to stop the game for 5 or 10 minutes....he is THAT loved there.

Word on the street is that GM Wallace has already checked with Shane's agent. Memphis wants to sign him for a few more years. Shane likes Memphis....this may work out.

Rudy Gay may actually be well suited for playing the 2 spot in Memphis. I can easily see a lineup with both players on the floor for a lot of time together.
Unfortunately,Rudy's shoulder is probably going to keep him out for the rest of the regular season. At least.

sporthenry
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd like to see Battier go to a contender. Imgaine if he went to the Lakers instead of Artest. I'm sure he loves it in Memphis and all but a championship would be rather fitting for him.

diveonthefloor
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Memphis will be in the NBA Finals before Shane retires.

superdave
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM

Really? In the next 4-5 years they top Lebron's Heat, Rose's Bulls and Howard's Magic? Tall order....

The Lakers would be a great fit for Shane.

diveonthefloor
02-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Really? In the next 4-5 years they top Lebron's Heat, Rose's Bulls and Howard's Magic? Tall order....

The Lakers would be a great fit for Shane.

Really.

(BTW, my post said "in the" NBA Finals.....all of the teams you mentioned play in the East, Memphis plays in the West.)

PADukeMom
02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Awwww...can we get that bear with the rain cloud over it? Dang it had to be Memphis but then it could hve been worse & been the Nets or Cleveland.

Billy Dat
02-25-2011, 09:53 AM
The Houston front office loves Shane. To me, they really took care of him here by sending him to a city he once called home, to fans that love him, and to a team that will be in the playoffs. In the off season, for the first time, he will have the ability to pick exactly the right situation for him. I am guessing that he will take a paycut if necessary to be part of a team that's going to have a legit shot of going all the way. It's hard to know who that team will be right now, but don't rule out the Miami heat.

JasonEvans
02-25-2011, 12:20 PM

I think you have a misspelling in your post. M-E-M-P-H-I-S is not how you spell Oklahoma City.

--Jason "the Griz are improving rapidly, but I don't think they have the stud(s) to make it to the finals any time soon" Evans

diveonthefloor
02-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I think you have a misspelling in your post. M-E-M-P-H-I-S is not how you spell Oklahoma City.

--Jason "the Griz are improving rapidly, but I don't think they have the stud(s) to make it to the finals any time soon" Evans

No, Jason, I spelled it right. :cool:

And I am willing to wait until Shane's final year, 5 years from now. It will be nearly as satisfying for this Duke/Grizzly fan as that day back on April 1, 1991. Well, almost at least. :o:o

superdave
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Really.

(BTW, my post said "in the" NBA Finals.....all of the teams you mentioned play in the East, Memphis plays in the West.)

But Memphis is in the eastern U.S.! I always screw that up...but still....

I dont see them getting past OKC in the next 10 years with Durant and Westbrook.

Let's see - Gasol, Gay, Battier, Conley, Mayo (likely wont re-sign), Randolph (re-sign?). That's a 5-8 seed unless Conley makes a big jump. Also, they cannot afford all these guys.

juise
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM
And I am willing to wait until Shane's final year, 5 years from now. It will be nearly as satisfying for this Duke/Grizzly fan as that day back on April 1, 1991. Well, almost at least. :o:o

That will be a good year for Shane. NBA title in June and elected president in November. Not too shabby. :cool:

ns7
02-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The Houston front office loves Shane. To me, they really took care of him here by sending him to a city he once called home, to fans that love him, and to a team that will be in the playoffs. In the off season, for the first time, he will have the ability to pick exactly the right situation for him. I am guessing that he will take a paycut if necessary to be part of a team that's going to have a legit shot of going all the way. It's hard to know who that team will be right now, but don't rule out the Miami heat.

The Grizzlies are in good shape to make the playoffs with both Utah and Houston hurting their chances through trades.

I hope he doesn't go to the Heat. I'm enjoying cheering against LeBron's talents and wouldn't want to have to change that. I'd like to see him go to the Magic to add another defensive-minded player to the team in addition to Dwight Howard. The Magic don't really have much cap space though so I'm not sure how that would get worked out.

cameroncrazy3104
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
But Memphis is in the eastern U.S.! I always screw that up...but still....

I dont see them getting past OKC in the next 10 years with Durant and Westbrook.

Let's see - Gasol, Gay, Battier, Conley, Mayo (likely wont re-sign), Randolph (re-sign?). That's a 5-8 seed unless Conley makes a big jump. Also, they cannot afford all these guys.

Tony Allen, Sam Young, Darell Arthur all are pretty good, it is a team of role players around Gay.

diveonthefloor
02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Tony Allen, Sam Young, Darell Arthur all are pretty good, it is a team of role players around Gay.

Reminds me a bit of the "bad boy" Pistons from back in the day.

diveonthefloor
02-25-2011, 08:13 PM
http://www.wmctv.com/global/category.asp?c=195967&autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5606502

Link to Shane's presser.

diveonthefloor
02-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Is anyone here surprised that in Shane's first game back as a Grizzly, after one hour of practice time with the team, he came in off the bench and had the best plus/minus rating in the entire NBA for Saturday (+26), while leading Memphis to a rout over Sacramento?