PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Virginia Tech Pre-Game Thread

sagegrouse
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Game Day on ESPN travels to Blacksburg and Cassell Coliseum for the Duke-VT match-up Saturday at 9PM. Here's some material for the game and some questions:

Fact #1: VT plays its five starters a minimum of 31 minutes in ACC games. Top subs Manny Atkins and Jarell Eddie average only 10-12 MPG.

Fact #2: Malcolm Delaney is a brilliant offensive player (19.4 pts. in ACC games) and the second-best player in the conference.

Fact #3: Jeff Allen (6-7, 220 and 15.5 pts./ 10.8 RBs) is playing extremely well.

Fact #4: VT is a solid 4th in the ACC at 8-5. Best wins: two over UMd. Worst losses: two vs. UVa.

Here are the questions. Please add yours:

1. Who guards Nolan? Is it Erick Green (6-4) or does Malcom Delaney get to try and stop his high-scoring counterpart?

2. More importantly, who guards Kyle? Terrell Bell at 6-7, 205 seems a likely candidate, but Kyle can out-muscle him.

3. It seems likely that Delaney is guarded by a committee, including Seth, Tyler and Nolan. Who guards Jeff Allen, who has an outside game as well as an inside one?

4. Do the Devils run at Malcolm Delaney to try and get him into foul trouble or tire him out? In which case Seth and Tyler better bring their A games.

5. Can Mason continue his mastery of the boards against the shorter but stockier Hokies? Can Ryan open up the middle by returning to form as an outside shooter?

6. It seems likely that Seth Greenberg's biggest problem is not the talent differential but the fact that he only has five players he depends on. What does Coach Greenberg do to prevent his team from being worn down at the end of the 1st half and in the 2nd half? Substitute a lot early? Slow the tempo? something else?

7. Is Game Day, which lasts about 12 hours, a blessing or a curse for the Hokie fans?

sagegrouse

jv001
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Sage good observations on the VT game. One thing I would add is that the refs aren't affected by the wild crowd made wilder by Game Day from ESPN. I've seen refs swallow their whistles in this kind of game. Let's hope the game is called properly. This one was going to be tough before Game Day showed up. Go Duke!

Merlindevildog91
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Has he been playing lately? I haven't seen any VT games since he was suspended for a marijuana charge pending in Montgomery County, VA, set for April 21.

I would link to the Virginia Courts website, but the Virginia Courts website causes me to use language that would get me placed on holiday here.

Never mind. I just checked the VT-Wake Forest box score from Tuesday.

-bdbd
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Another critical element, I think, is that VPI is, yet again, on the bubble in late-Feb. After bitter disappointments the last couple of years it is safe to say they will be desperate for a signature win down the stretch. No shortage of motivation for the Hokies and their fans. Game Day doesn't help in that regard either.

This would be a really good one to jump out early and take some steam out of their crowd, and team...

MChambers
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Most years, my primary worry when playing VPI is injuries. This year, however, the Hokies have so few players that I don't think they can play rough. I also think that they've played a lot of 2-3 zone this ACC season, because of the lack of depth. It will be interesting to see if they do that against Duke. We've certainly got the players to attack a zone, if we are patient and don't settle for the first outside shot.

Allen still has a bit of a tendency to get in foul trouble, which really hurts the Hokies.

NSDukeFan
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Game Day on ESPN travels to Blacksburg and Cassell Coliseum for the Duke-VT match-up Saturday at 9PM. Here's some material for the game and some questions:

Fact #1: VT plays its five starters a minimum of 31 minutes in ACC games. Top subs Manny Atkins and Jarell Eddie average only 10-12 MPG.

Fact #2: Malcolm Delaney is a brilliant offensive player (19.4 pts. in ACC games) and the second-best player in the conference.

(other great discussion points)

sagegrouse

Can I question a fact? Malcolm Delaney is no doubt the second best scorer in the ACC due to his ability to get to the line and convert (most FTs per game in ACC). But is it a fact that he is the second best player? I would think that Kyle and/or Jordan Williams (and Singleton when healthy?) could all be considered in that discussion. I don't know what kind of a defensive player Delaney is, so maybe it is a fact, but I do know that Kyle is pretty darned good on the defensive end, rebounds a bit better than Delaney and shoots a similar percentage. Kyle doesn't set up his teammates nearly as well as Delaney, but otherwise I would think he compares reasonably well. I am, of course, a bit biased.

davekay1971
02-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Can I question a fact? Malcolm Delaney is no doubt the second best scorer in the ACC due to his ability to get to the line and convert (most FTs per game in ACC). But is it a fact that he is the second best player?

The Black Falcon, who is, of course, a pre-season All-American, must be, by warrant of the expertise of the pundits, the best player in the ACC. Nolan is clearly better than Delaney, so therefore Delaney can be no better than third best.

MCFinARL
02-24-2011, 04:37 PM
"Fact #1: VT plays its five starters a minimum of 31 minutes in ACC games. Top subs Manny Atkins and Jarell Eddie average only 10-12 MPG."

"It seems likely that Seth Greenberg's biggest problem is not the talent differential but the fact that he only has five players he depends on. What does Coach Greenberg do to prevent his team from being worn down at the end of the 1st half and in the 2nd half? Substitute a lot early? Slow the tempo? something else?"sagegrouse

Granted, we have enough talented players to potentially wear VT down, but recently the Duke minutes have been going to fewer players--in the UVA and Georgia Tech games, 6 players got just about all the time (with Andre as sixth man for UVA and Tyler for Georgia Tech), and last night we looked every bit as much like a 5-man squad as VaTech, with the starters all playing over 30 minutes and only one other player (Tyler) getting into double digits (and that just 11). It will be interesting to see if Coach K decides to spread the time around to make sure Duke has fresher legs on the floor than VT or if he continues to go in the direction he appears to be going in of (seemingly) getting all the starters used to playing lots of minutes in case they need to in the postseason.

sagegrouse
02-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Can I question a fact? Malcolm Delaney is no doubt the second best scorer in the ACC due to his ability to get to the line and convert (most FTs per game in ACC). But is it a fact that he is the second best player? I would think that Kyle and/or Jordan Williams (and Singleton when healthy?) could all be considered in that discussion. I don't know what kind of a defensive player Delaney is, so maybe it is a fact, but I do know that Kyle is pretty darned good on the defensive end, rebounds a bit better than Delaney and shoots a similar percentage. Kyle doesn't set up his teammates nearly as well as Delaney, but otherwise I would think he compares reasonably well. I am, of course, a bit biased.

Well, it isn't a fact. I should have said "assertion" or "assumption." I would offer the opinion that, at times, Delaney is a brilliant player and one of the very best in the conference.

sagegrouse

Matches
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Va. Tech plays a lot of zone due to the personnel shortage. Two keys for us will be:

1. Knocking down open shots, especially early. The crowd will be amped, and some early dagger 3s may help take them out of it.

2. Offensive rebounding. The opportunities will be there against the zone. Look for Mason to get involved early - he needs to be able to finish putbacks after o'rebounds.

CLW
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Va Tech is going to come out with allot of energy. They know they are on the bubble and they know this is their ONLY shot at a signature win.

We have had a tendency to come out a little flat/lax recently. I don't think we will be able to do that and survive this one.

Bob Green
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Fact #3: Jeff Allen (6-7, 220 and 15.5 pts./ 10.8 RBs) is playing extremely well.

Jeff Allen concerns me as he is the type player who can attack inside and out. If he has a great game, it will increase the odds for a VT upset. We need to make Allen work on the defensive end with an objective of getting him to pick up some early fouls.

3. It seems likely that Delaney is guarded by a committee, including Seth, Tyler and Nolan. Who guards Jeff Allen, who has an outside game as well as an inside one?

We will need to have Ryan Kelly guard Allen outside with Mason or Miles (whoever is in the game) providing lots of help when Allen moves inside. Perhaps Josh Hairston sees some action in order to muscle up Allen for a couple of minutes. Whoever guards Allen will need lots of help.

4. Do the Devils run at Malcolm Delaney to try and get him into foul trouble or tire him out? In which case Seth and Tyler better bring their A games.

Delaney doesn't appear to tire out so we need to be ready to guard him for all 35 seconds on every Virginia Tech possession. Delaney can get his shot at any time so we must play defense for the full possession every possession.

I do not believe Malcolm Delaney can beat us by himself no matter how good he plays as an individual. The same goes for Allen. What worries me is Delaney and Allen simultaneously having good games with a third Hokie such as Erick Green or Jarell Eddie stepping up and playing strong. I'm confident Coach K and staff will devise a game plan to eliminate one of Seth Greenburg's main horses.

On offense, we need to hit open shots and attack mismatches. Stating we need to hit open shots seems like I'm being Captain Obvious, but Virginia Tech has no depth and has been playing a lot of 2-3 zone so we will need to force them out of the zone by hitting perimeter jumpers, 3-pointers from the corners and wings, and midrange shots from the free throw line area. Ryan Kelly could be key to breaking their zone as he was against Miami. Once they are in M2M, Singler and Smith can work on taking their man to the rim and dishing the ball when Virginia Tech attempts to provide help.

dyedwab
02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
...a good start to the game. Knowing the frenzy that this game will be (VPI is always hyped for Duke, GameDay, and the bubble), the Hokies will come out ridiculously hyped. And we, to put it mildly, haven't started games well, almost all year.

Specifically, we tend to lack a precision and crispness at the beginning of games. We miss easy shots, commit sloppy turnovers, allow too many easy shots because of soft defense, etc. I don't ascribe it to flatness, but rather to not getting into the flow of the game fast enough.

Should that happen on Sat, VPI is both talented enough and desperate enough to make sure we can't overcome it.

dukelifer
02-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Duke needs to stop one of VT's 3 top scorers or get them in foul trouble. Unfortunately all three are tough matchups for Duke. Delaney and Green are taller than Smith and Curry and are both very active and athletics. Allen is just the type of player that gives Duke's bigs fits and he is getting into that "I am a senior and have only a few games left" mode. All three could have big games against Duke- so the D will be key in this game. Lately, Duke has made adjustments at half time but the adjustments may need to be made more quickly. VT has a lot of pressure on them- so that could help- but if they get going early- Duke will have their hands full. This game will be the toughest of the year- no question. Duke needs to keep mistakes at a minimum.

Indoor66
02-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Duke 83, Tech 67

MulletMan
02-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I think that it would be interesting to give Delany different looks during VPI's offensive trips down the floor. For example, throw Nolan or Seth on him to start the game, but change it up every once in a while and have Singler guard him depending on what personnel is on the floor for each team. The NCAA tourney last season showed that Kyle can guard multiple positions and I would think that his length would really bother Delany.

Echo the above comment that we can not come out with a slow start. It is critical to NOT fall behind by 8-10 points. That will get the energy level high and buttress the VPI kids in the second half.

Reilly
02-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Games at VT made me think of the dust-up with JJs dad there. Got me curious about JJ's younger sister. She left the VT team in December and landed at Drexel:
http://www.drexeldragons.com/news/2011/1/4/WBB_0104113314.aspx?path=wbball

gw67
02-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Delaney is very similar player to Smith. Both look for their shot first and pass when they don’t have a play. Neither is a top notch playmaker. The key differences are the players around them. Aside from Delaney, only Green and Allen can be counted on for offense so Delaney has seen many more double teams and junk defenses than Smith. As a result, he sometimes gets frustrated and takes poor shots. Smith, on the other hand, plays with a number of excellent offensive players and opposing teams typically don’t concentrate on him (first Maryland game aside). This also tends to help his assists totals as Singler, Curry, Dawkins and Kelly are very good shooters.

I think a good case can be made for Delaney having the second best year among ACC players whether you look at all the games or limit yourself to ACC games. As much as I like Singler’s all around play, he has not played better than Delaney this year, particularly in ACC games.

For Saturday’s game, I would concentrate on stopping Green and Allen and letting Delaney try to keep up with the entire Duke team.

gw67

wgl1228
02-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Seth Davis has picked Virginia Tech to win 75-73. Thanks for the support.

whereinthehellami
02-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Here is an article from Techsideline about College Gameday being in Blacksburg (http://www.techsideline.com/news_archive/showArticle-5745.php)on Saturday.

Is VT the only ACC team to host ESPN gamedays in both football and basketball?

LouisianaDukeFan
02-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Digger Phelps in ESPN Coaches Corner doing the preview on Duke-Virginia Tech:

"I think Duke is going to find things happening with Seth Curry. His last 2 games he's been struggling - 5 for 14, only 16 points. But I think with Nolan Smith & Kyle Singler, Curry's game will even get better, especially on the road in this big key matchup." He also compares the inside games only by comparing # of double-doubles (Allen vs 2 Plumlees).

Since Curry is 6-12 over our last 2 games, I'm assuming his stats were outdated from the GT & UVa games.

I wanted to post this, not because it is a big deal, but it illustrates why I am starting to not bother to listen to commentators anymore. 1) The statistics themselves are wrong. 2) These statistics (even if they were from our last 2 games) are taken out of context due to Curry's one subpar game in our last 5. He's been on a roll - 50% in our last 5 games, from a decent sample size (21-42). He's also been an important part of our recent wins (NOT struggling, in my opinion).

And it's not just Digger Phelps...in ESPN's Weekend Watch, Jay Bilas says BYU has to slow the game down to a half-court game to win, and that SD State needs to play up-tempo. BYU's adjusted tempo is 18 vs. SDS at 289 (per Kenpom). And from all of the Mountain West fans' comments on that article, I'm not the only one who disagreed with that assessment.

So much talking, so little reliable information...

(Sorry this post turned into a soapbox for my discontent with the current state of sports news reporting...it starts off being relevant to this thread, right? ;))

phaedrus
02-25-2011, 03:23 PM

"I think Duke is going to find things happening with Seth Curry. His last 2 games he's been struggling - 5 for 14, only 16 points. But I think with Nolan Smith & Kyle Singler, Curry's game will even get better, especially on the road in this big key matchup." He also compares the inside games only by comparing # of double-doubles (Allen vs 2 Plumlees).

Since Curry is 6-12 over our last 2 games, I'm assuming his stats were outdated from the GT & UVa games.

I'm interested in seeing how Seth performs against his father's alma mater, particularly in Blacksburg. I'm sure he has some extra motivation this weekend.

billyj
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm interested in seeing how Seth performs against his father's alma mater, particularly in Blacksburg. I'm sure he has some extra motivation this weekend.

It will be bittersweet. Both his parents went to VT. I hope Duke wins, and Seth drops 30pts and Greenberg refuse to answer media question why he didn't offer either Curry brothers scholarship.:cool:

tele
02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
This would be a nice game for Duke's Bigs to showcase their improvements, it would also be a good time for Andre to assert himself on defense and drop a few threes on vt while he's going about it. Should be a good game if the Officiating is up to the challenge. Go Duke!

cptnflash
02-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Another critical element, I think, is that VPI is, yet again, on the bubble in late-Feb. After bitter disappointments the last couple of years it is safe to say they will be desperate for a signature win down the stretch. No shortage of motivation for the Hokies and their fans. Game Day doesn't help in that regard either.

This would be a really good one to jump out early and take some steam out of their crowd, and team...

This element is beyond critical. They're not just on the bubble, the seniors (including Delaney) are on the bubble for the 4th time in a row, and have never made it to the NCAA tournament! This is basically a last chance, lifetime elimination game for them (barring an ACC tournament win). I know we always get everyone's A game, but we're going to get VT's A+++++ game, at least in terms of desire, focus, and intensity. Very rarely will a college basketball game between two good teams have such uneven stakes. Plus they've had an extra day to prepare (they played Tuesday) and they don't have any travel time to deal with.

This is the kind of game where we're very fortunate to have one of the greatest coaches of all time on our side. If anyone can get our guys to overcome VT's natural emotional advantage in this game, it's Coach K.

swood1000
02-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Here's an interesting article about Seth and the rest of the Curry family, and their interactions with Virginia Tech: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/02/vt-hoops-catching-currys

ice-9
02-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm actually not that worried about VT's emotional advantage - in fact I think it'll work against them in the same way some UNC senior day home games have worked against us.

VT will want it too much, will try too hard, will expend too much energy that will cost them down the line.

This game is important enough for ACC and NCAA implications that our boys won't take a lackadaisical approach.

I predict we jump on a big lead, endure a few VT runs as they settle down, only to pull away in the final minutes for a 7 point win.

gep
02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm actually not that worried about VT's emotional advantage - in fact I think it'll work against them in the same way some UNC senior day home games have worked against us.

VT will want it too much, will try too hard, will expend too much energy that will cost them down the line.

This game is important enough for ACC and NCAA implications that our boys won't take a lackadaisical approach.

I predict we jump on a big lead, endure a few VT runs as they settle down, only to pull away in the final minutes for a 7 point win.

I had the same feeling reading these posts and quotes from VT/players. VT will be so pumped, they'll wear themselves out just being hyped up. And the harder they try, the harder it will be for them (at least, that's what I'm hoping). I think ESPN game day at VT will just magnify the emotional intensity. DUKE, on the other hand, I think is pretty comfortable with situations like this (by comfortable, I mean they've see it, been there, done that, from other teams). I'm hoping this does play against VT, and DUKE comes out with a big win...:cool:

devildeac
02-25-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm just wondering how much thuggery they will get away with or have most/all of those guys exhausted their eligibility?

-jk
02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm just wondering how much thuggery they will get away with or have most/all of those guys exhausted their eligibility?

I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating - I just want to get out of Blacksburg without an injury. Hate Cassell. <sigh>

-jk

Chris Randolph
02-26-2011, 12:54 AM
I expect this game to be officiated pretty simliarly to the Duke @ Maryland game. Va Tech will get most of the benfit of the calls, thats how it seems to go in most games of this magnitude for the a home team who needs a "signature" win. Maryland's problem was we were hungry and out to prove something. If we play that way tomorrow night, I see us overcoming the crowd and refs to get a W. We will have to play really good for 2 halves to get it done thats for sure. If VT wins, I will not blame the refs, just stating facts

DUKIE V(A)
02-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Great test for our boys...Hostile environment vs. a talented, physical team...It's one that I feel Duke is going to pass with flying colors. We are just a better team than VA Tech and I do not see our guys letting down. I foresee a large margin of victory in one of our more impressive performances. For Tech to win, I think Delaney needs to go off, Allen needs to stay mentally in the game (avoiding bad fouls), and they need Kyle and/or Mason in foul trouble so they can hammer us on the boards. In the end, I feel Duke has too many weapons and is too mentally strong to lose this game.

I feel like Duke is flying a bit under the radar (if that's possible for a Duke team and a team that is ranked No. 1)...Over the last few weeks, Duke (without KI) has been winning more and more impressively and with more and more ease. I believe our Blue Devils have established themselves as THE team to beat despite all the talk about Ohio State, Kansas, Texas, Pitt, etc. Love the way Seth, Ryan, Tyler, and Mason have stepped up. Miles and Andre seem on the verge to me. Nolan is the best player in the country. All Kyle does is do everything well night in and night out. He's a given like in Geometry. Add in the great coaching staff. Great team to watch and support. Outstanding group of young men. It's so exciting to be a Duke fan!

Duke 79 ...VPI ...64

slower
02-26-2011, 08:25 AM

I wanted to post this, not because it is a big deal, but it illustrates why I am starting to not bother to listen to commentators anymore. 1) The statistics themselves are wrong. 2) These statistics (even if they were from our last 2 games) are taken out of context due to Curry's one subpar game in our last 5. He's been on a roll - 50% in our last 5 games, from a decent sample size (21-42). He's also been an important part of our recent wins (NOT struggling, in my opinion).

And it's not just Digger Phelps...in ESPN's Weekend Watch, Jay Bilas says BYU has to slow the game down to a half-court game to win, and that SD State needs to play up-tempo. BYU's adjusted tempo is 18 vs. SDS at 289 (per Kenpom). And from all of the Mountain West fans' comments on that article, I'm not the only one who disagreed with that assessment.

So much talking, so little reliable information...

(Sorry this post turned into a soapbox for my discontent with the current state of sports news reporting...it starts off being relevant to this thread, right? ;))

If you're just now realizing that Digger is an idiot, you're a bit late to the party (but welcome!). I'm constantly amazed at the number of these guys who seem to lack even the most basic knowledge of who even plays for most teams, much less how to pronounce their names correctly.

slower
02-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I've said it before, but I think it bears repeating - I just want to get out of Blacksburg without an injury. Hate Cassell. <sigh>

-jk

I'm wondering if the fact that we've got a few "tough" guys on our team (Kyle, Tyler, Nolan when he has to be, ditto Dre, and Mason seems like he's always ready to get into it) will make it any more or less likely that the game gets chippy. I think it could actually work to our advantage, in two ways. First, the best way to deal with a bully is to stand up to them. I think this year's squad is more likely to not take any crap than some of our previous "take the high road" teams. Second, if it DOES get ugly, the refs will (hopefully) intervene. In a sense, I'm glad that Kyrie will NOT be coming back for this game - a bit too risky, since I can see the VT guys playing rough with him.

Reilly
02-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I'm wondering if the fact that we've got a few "tough" guys on our team (Kyle, Tyler, Nolan when he has to be, ditto Dre, and Mason seems like he's always ready to get into it) .....

You left out our scrappy PG from Chicago whose greatest attribute seems to be toughness (even though he did lead the Catholic league in scoring as a h.s. senior).

slower
02-26-2011, 08:51 AM
You left out our scrappy PG from Chicago whose greatest attribute seems to be toughness (even though he did lead the Catholic league in scoring as a h.s. senior).

How many of us would pay to see K mix it up? Yes, it would be "wrong", of course... :)

DukeGirl4ever
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Ken Pom says we win 73-68.
I love to follow his projections...especially since he was ridiculously close with scores/point spreads in the NCAA tourney last year.

jv001
02-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Some additions to already stated observations.
1. Officiating will be a big key. Will the refs be intimidated by the hostile Tech crowd. With the game day crew there, the fans will be in an all time frenzy. I hope they wear themselves out by game time.
2. I think this could be the game that our guys come out playing well both offensively and defensively. We cannot afford to come out flat.
3. We must hit our 3s, as VT will probably play some zone against us. With Nolan, Seth, Kyle, Ryan and Andre I hope that will not be a problem for us.
4. I don't want to see Nolan driving the ball too far and having to take a bad shot or get called for charging. I would be surprised if Nolan doesn't realize he has a chance to win some POY awards. I just hope he doesn't try to do too much.
5. Seth same as number 4 and Nolan. I hope Seth doesn't try to do too much in front of the Tech fans. I'm sure deep inside he has some negative feelings about VT's failure to recruit him and his brother.
Summary: I think we come out on the positive end of all 5 of these points and win by 4-5 points. GoDuke!

ice-9
02-26-2011, 06:58 PM
4. I don't want to see Nolan driving the ball too far and having to take a bad shot or get called for charging. I would be surprised if Nolan doesn't realize he has a chance to win some POY awards. I just hope he doesn't try to do too much.

jv001, I don't mean to pick on your post as I enjoy what you write, but it amazes me that in an NPOY year where Nolan is unquestionably the best player and leader on a #1 ranked team, he continues to receive criticism like the above.

Fact: this team is better when Nolan "tries to do too much." Sure, he will make mistakes and those plays won't look good, but it's only in being aggressive that he can make all the good plays. And in this mode, as shown all season, there are far more good plays than bad ones.

Need proof? Just compare the two halves in the St John game, the first where Nolan didn't "try to do too much" and the latter which he did.

So let's give the guy a break and not nit pick every mistake he makes. In basketball as in life there are no rewards without risks, and Nolan has been courageous about taking and making the most out of those opportunities.

And this is on a team where no other player can do what he does offensively on a consistent basis.

jipops
02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
jv001, I don't mean to pick on your post as I enjoy what you write, but it amazes me that in an NPOY year where Nolan is unquestionably the best player and leader on a #1 ranked team, he continues to receive criticism like the above.

Fact: this team is better when Nolan "tries to do too much." Sure, he will make mistakes and those plays won't look good, but it's only in being aggressive that he can make all the good plays. And in this mode, as shown all season, there are far more good plays than bad ones.

Need proof? Just compare the two halves in the St John game, the first where Nolan didn't "try to do too much" and the latter which he did.

So let's give the guy a break and not nit pick every mistake he makes. In basketball as in life there are no rewards without risks, and Nolan has been courageous about taking and making the most out of those opportunities.

And this is on a team where no other player can do what he does offensively on a consistent basis.

I agree with this. Nolan is not a natural facilitator, he's a scorer. K has been smart to not ask him to try to be something he isn't with Kyrie's absence. It actually benefits the team when he is looking for his shot. Sure we want him to make smart decisions with the ball, if the shot isn't there move the ball around. He does tend to get us in a bit of trouble with turnovers. But if there is the slightest seam in the defense, I think it benefits us the most for him to look for the score.

Now watch him drop 25 on 38% shooting and Duke loses and blows my whole perception out of the water;)

jv001
02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

I was not calling Nolan out. As stated in my summary. I said we will come out on the postive end of all my points. We need for VT to have to work hard on offense with no run outs on turnovers, especially at the begininng of this game. We need to knock VT back on their heels and not let them feel good about themselves. If we give them added confidence, we could be in for a nail bitter. Nolan is our best player and maybe the best player in the country. But he's human and can make mistakes. Go Duke!

ice-9
02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Now watch him drop 25 on 38% shooting and Duke loses and blows my whole perception out of the water;)

Knock on wood! But like I said, the St John game is the ultimate proof. I'll just re-post what I had written before...

I saw a few posts in the St John's in-game thread suggesting that Nolan isn't a real point guard and implying that this deficiency is a reason why we lost today. In the game against BC, another poster suggested the team would be better if Nolan didn't look for his shot so much and spent more time setting up his teammates.

Well, that talk is frankly starting to piss me off.

The fact of the matter is that this team (post Kyrie) has been best when Nolan plays a little selfishly and takes a lot of shots (especially on drives). This game is just more proof of that.

In the first half Nolan only took 4 shots...4! and we looked horribly stagnant offensively while doing so. This team NEEDS Nolan to force the issue.

Contrast the first half with the second where Nolan finally began asserting himself offensively (and really only in the last 10 to 15 min). There's really just no comparison: he scored 27 points on 9-14 shooting, we won the half by 6, and everybody shot better.

If we played this way the entire game -- with Nolan being aggressive, taking a lot of shots even if it makes him look selfish and not very PG-like -- we might've won this game.

FireOgilvie
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
What's the deal with the camera being completely off to one side of the court? They're also switching cameras every 10 seconds. Total amateur hour. Reminds me of Fox Sports; it's hard to watch.

_Gary
02-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Duke is having an incredibly hard time getting anything out of their half-court offense. This is one of those games where Kyrie would be such a difference maker. We are stagnant as all get out on offense right now but we don't seem to have anyone that's able to penetrate and we are really dragging. If the outside shots don't fall it might be a long night.

I'd like to see us try and push off a VT miss just to try and generate some easy baskets, but right now we are clearly not looking to do that.

dairedevil
02-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Looks to be a war out there. Yeah, Miles did get away with an over the back on that last play, but at the same time, Mason was getting slammed on the other side of the basket. Maybe that's why the no call?

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Kyle is forcing too many contested shots right now.

Lulu
02-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Singler is taking terrible shots. Actually, it's like a replay of the same terrible shot somewhere in the top 1/3 of the lane every time...

lotusland
02-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Singler is taking terrible shots. Actually, it's like a replay of the same terrible shot somewhere in the top 1/3 of the lane every time...

I disagree those are good shots. Only one bad shot and when he got trapped on the baseline and shot a fadeaway that went in. VT is thin so he needs to be agressive and get to the line. When is a shot in the lane ever uncontested?

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Duke should be doing more to try to put VT in situations where they can get themselves into foul trouble instead of settling for tough shots. Everyone knows they are thin on the bench.

I don't think Duke attacked the rim enough in the first half, with the exception of Nolan.

dukestheheat
02-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Only Nolan and Mason seem to be mentally ready to play tonight, and I'm thankful for that. Thank goodness we have SUPERMAN in the locker room with the team right now. We are going to have to figure a way to get Kyle to hit his shots and get Curry going, and then STOP THEIR 3 POINT SHOOTING PLEASE.

Let's go Duke!

dth.

Bluedevil114
Big shot for Andre. Might be the three that keeps us in it and turns this thing around like the Baylor game.

Kelly is really struggling from deep and needs to pass that ball or get closer as they are letting him shoot.

Billy Dat
Extremely well played first half by both teams, not that we look great, but both teams are playing hard, few turnovers, solid shooting percentages, great D on both side...just a really fun game to watch.

We gave up too many runouts, but otherwise we are ok. VTEch is playing well - we need to work our size advantage more.

moonpie23
some missed opportunities, but holding up ok on defense.....tech starting to come down a bit from their initial hype high...

SMO
Tech probably just played one of their best halves this season and they're up 2. Not sure they have another half like that in them given their short bench. I like Kyle forcing Tech into foul trouble and Mason getting some points in the paint. There's reason for optimism in the 2nd half.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Only Nolan and Mason seem to be mentally ready to play tonight, and I'm thankful for that. Thank goodness we have SUPERMAN in the locker room with the team right now. We are going to have to figure a way to get Kyle to hit his shots and get Curry going, and then STOP THEIR 3 POINT SHOOTING PLEASE.

Let's go Duke!

dth.

Disagree, I think everyone save for Seth is playing really well, it's just a hard fought game.

dairedevil
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Only 6 fouls called on each team in the first half - so if there's a strategy to get vt in foul trouble, it doesn't seem to be working. Would have been awesome if that half court shot by Miles had gone in at the half, but I'll take being down by 2. This has been a second half team all season. Keeping the faith that they will do it again.

lotusland
02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Extremely well played first half by both teams, not that we look great, but both teams are playing hard, few turnovers, solid shooting percentages, great D on both side...just a really fun game to watch.

We gave up too many runouts, but otherwise we are ok. VTEch is playing well - we need to work our size advantage more.

I agree. Duke hasn't played poorly but VT played extremely well in the first half.

Son of Mojo
02-26-2011, 09:56 PM
The shot Kyle has best in his arsenal, the mid-range jumper, has been missing all night. If he can start sticking a few of those in combination with more consistency from everyone else save Nolan on offense then we'll start to get more points. Defense has played ok on the whole but needs to tighten up more on the ballhandler without doing unnecessary double-teams. We're in good shape but need to get those tweaks going. Maybe feed Mason more in the post if he can keep looking as strong with the ball attacking as he has so far.

Utley
02-26-2011, 09:58 PM
I'll take the 2 point deficit the way that half felt. That Dawkins 3 reminded me of the Baylor game - I hope it has the same effect.

Very pleased with the Plumlees. Seth and Ryan need to calm down. Kyle's misses are short and leading to fast breaks - it would be huge if he get's touch back a little more.

Hopefully, we continue our trend of much better 2nd halves. We really need a little cushion heading into the last 4 minutes.

jv001
Looks like VT is giving Ryan the open look in their help defense. He'll need to hit a couple of those to keep them honest. Thank God for Nolan. Go Duke!

Saratoga2
Nolan is playing a great all around game and Mason is also doing his thing. Kyle doesn't seem to be solid offensively, leaving a lot of shots short.

The big problem is twe aren't getting much out of their normal contributors such as Kelly (1 for 6?), Seth with no poiints. Too many missed threes followed by run outs by VT and too many unguarded 3's.

It appears Andre is still capable of hitting a three and Tyler played well while in. It is close, so coach K will have corrections in mind.

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Really struggling to defend the 3-point line tonight.

dairedevil
02-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Really struggling to defend the 3-point line tonight.

struggling to score from 3, too

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:13 PM
They can't shake us, think about those games where we can't shake a team. Granted, we are a better team but they are the team that needs to shake us right now. We're in a good spot, need to keep playing defense and getting good shots.

SMO
02-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Nolan is playing a great all around game and Mason is also doing his thing. Kyle doesn't seem to be solid offensively, leaving a lot of shots short.

The big problem is twe aren't getting much out of their normal contributors such as Kelly (1 for 6?), Seth with no poiints. Too many missed threes followed by run outs by VT and too many unguarded 3's.

It appears Andre is still capable of hitting a three and Tyler played well while in. It is close, so coach K will have corrections in mind.

What shouldn't be missed though, is that Singler is single-handedly getting Tech into foul trouble. They are having a lot of trouble containing his drives and the refs are calling fouls appropriately.

Sgt. Dingleberry
02-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Wow. Both teams are playing really, really well right now. This is great basketball.

OZ
02-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Seth... no points and four fouls...

Kelly 1-6 and and two points...

We have had two CONSISTENT players all year. Someone is going to have to step up if we plan to move on in March.

Man, Seth's head has gotten the best of him tonight.... in a bad way. I really hurt for him with this being Mom and Pop's alma mater.

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Seth... no points and four fouls...

Kelly 1-6 and and two points...

We have had two CONSISTENT players all year. Someone is going to have to step up if we plan to move on in March.

Man, Seth's head has gotten the best of him tonight.... in a bad way. I really hurt for him with this being Mom and Pop's alma mater.

He will have more opportunities against them in the next couple years. He still has a chance to make some positive contributions later in this game as well.

DukeGirl4ever
02-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Anybody have a link with live stats that shows how many fouls for the 2nd half?
The ESPN gamecast only shows overall fouls....unless I am missing something.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Crazy behind the back step back by Nolan. Interesting how we went small then back big when they started to work us on the boards. Kelly can't hit a 3, but he is playing really well otherwise, I love the shot fake drive he did before. That may be there again, he needs to stay aggressive. Mason playing well, although I wish he hadn't dropped that dime Nolan put right in his hands in the last sequence. If we can get up 5, they are going to start to feel the pressure...let's go!!!

pfrduke
Anybody have a link with live stats that shows how many fouls for the 2nd half?
The ESPN gamecast only shows overall fouls....unless I am missing something.

We have 6 in the second half - not sure how many VT has.

chattpanther
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20110226_DUKE@VATECH

DukeGirl4ever
02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks! I like the CBS feed much better than ESPN. I was just a little too shaky to look around!

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Smart move by Greenberg to go back to zone as many of their runouts in the first half came off missed 3s. The immediately get a run-out for Delaney and K sees it and calls a quick timeout. This game being played and managed on a really high level.

Son of Mojo
02-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Looked like a tiny cheap shot by Delaney on Nolan after that circus lay-up. Given, Nolan should've probably been called with a foul, but no need for that shot. It's good that Kyle hit that one three but now he's chucking them up too fast and too far--toe up the line every now and then............

SMO
02-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Man, Singler looked a lot better when he was driving and creating contact. The 3's may be open but he's not knocking many down.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Let's get Andre another look, squared up, in rhythm...or if they are looking for us to chuck from 3, let's fake and look inside. Let's also keep fouling Davila.

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Let's get Andre another look, squared up, in rhythm...or if they are looking for us to chuck from 3, let's fake and look inside. Let's also keep fouling Davila.

Hack-a-Davila?

ajgoodfella7
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Can't remember the last time only one Duke player went to the foul line with this little time left in the game. (Singler 8-9 FT)

dairedevil
02-26-2011, 10:37 PM
We have 6 in the second half - not sure how many VT has.

both teams had 6 fouls at halftime -13 each now..

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Big sequence for V Tech, we have it up 6, Kyle walks, they miss a 3 and get the board and nail a 3.

dairedevil
02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
too close for comfort. I'm ready to put this game away.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Bad timing on our recent turnovers and missed defensive boards. Anybody's game now, and they've got the momentum. This is usually Nolan time.

SMO
02-26-2011, 10:43 PM
2 missed dunks by Miles tonight. Ugh.

burns15
02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Bad timing on our recent turnovers and missed defensive boards. Anybody's game now, and they've got the momentum. This is usually Nolan time.

why wont we throw the ball into the post? we had such success there earlier

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Come on Kyle...take care of that ball...

ChrisP
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
We are choking this one away! Nolan and Kyle have carried us but both have made some boneheaded plays in the last couple minutes. Someone else needs to step up!

Son of Mojo
02-26-2011, 10:47 PM
No touch posts and, again, Kyle's fallen in love with 3's again. He had Dre wide open on the last play and never looked that way on the bad TO. Got to get it together here.........

SMO
02-26-2011, 10:47 PM
why wont we throw the ball into the post? we had such success there earlier

Guys are taking long jumpers all of a sudden. They are there, but when you've had success getting it down low why not go back to that?

_Gary
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
I love Kyle and realize he's got the most points for us tonight, but if we lose I have to put it on him. He's been a black hole in the 2nd half and taken so many poor, forced shots that's it not even funny. Again, I wouldn't trade him for anyone on the planet but I haven't liked his decisions on the offensive end in this second half at all. And Nolan has also taken a few forced shots tonight. In this game more than any other I can remember this year those two seem to feel like they have to take every shot here in the second half.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Giving up all those offensive boards has killed us, as had our shot selection. They are out executing us down the stretch...which is painful. Can we stem the tide right now? Let's get it in Nolan's hands.

SMO
We are choking this one away!!

Sadly, that's exactly how it looks right now. They had a great chance to put this away then started shooting long jumpers, missing dunks, committing goal-tends. It's like they saved all their mistakes for the last 4 minutes of the game, which is uncharacteristic.

burns15
I love Kyle and realize he's got the most points for us tonight, but if we lose I have to put it on him. He's been a black hole in the 2nd half and taken so many poor, forced shots that's it not even funny. Again, I wouldn't trade him for anyone on the planet but I haven't liked his decisions on the offensive end in this second half at all.

Im just suprised that as a senior and with the experience that he has, that he is playing like this. I mean I understand mistakes, but refocus and concentrate on what got you the lead

Gthoma2a
02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I am so sick of seeing us shoot threes!

I don't know how this has happened...

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Come on...who is gonna hit this three...we'll win in OT...

dukebluelemur
02-26-2011, 10:58 PM
How can Kyle not remember that 4 days ago he had an AWESOME game by going inside, and laying off the horrible 3 point shots? Sigh. I just do not understand.

terrih
02-26-2011, 10:59 PM
pafrinking pathetic end to this game.

Billy Dat
02-26-2011, 11:00 PM
Ouch....

Channing
02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
well, I love Kyle, but his shooting percentage is really starting to hurt us on offense.