PDA

View Full Version : If not Duke, then who?

DukeWarhead
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
One of those trivial, albeit fun threads to see who folks would like to see win the National Championship if not Duke.
In the past, I've been willing to go "Anyone but Carolina" with this, but this season one team in particular has really impressed me with their play and style, Purdue.
Given the way they've handled the devastating two-time loss of Robbie Hummel, and have two stars and play some good defense, I just like the Boilermakers and would not mind at all to see them cut down the nets.
Of course, were they to meet Duke in the finals I would like to seem them obliterated, but if Duke can't make it to the finals, I have decided to pull for Purdue (if they're still alive). After seeing them handle OSU at home, I like what they bring to the table.
No other ACC team has earned my support this year.
And yes, I hope Carolina gets manhandled in the first round.

Wander
02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Purdue would be fine, as would their fellow Big 10 member Wisconsin. But my vote out of the quasi-realistic candidates would be for San Diego State. Having a non-BCS champion would be cool, and I'd want SDSU over BYU to keep Jimmer from surpassing Nolan too much in the public eye (yeah, I know the NCAA tournament doesn't count for most awards anyway).

And of course I want UNC to get crushed in the first round. Are there really people pulling for them out of some deluded conference pride? Pathetic.

mkline09
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Purdue would be fine, as would their fellow Big 10 member Wisconsin. But my vote out of the quasi-realistic candidates would be for San Diego State. Having a non-BCS champion would be cool, and I'd want SDSU over BYU to keep Jimmer from surpassing Nolan too much in the public eye (yeah, I know the NCAA tournament doesn't count for most awards anyway).

And of course I want UNC to get crushed in the first round. Are there really people pulling for them out of some deluded conference pride? Pathetic.

I know Fredette and Nolan are up for the same award, I'd rather go for BYU. They seem to run a clean program with good kids. I'm not a fan of Steve Fisher dating back to his days at Michigan.

I'd pull for Purude or Wisconsin as mentioned above or Syracuse.

MChambers
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
One of those trivial, albeit fun threads to see who folks would like to see win the National Championship if not Duke.
In the past, I've been willing to go "Anyone but Carolina" with this, but this season one team in particular has really impressed me with their play and style, Purdue.
Given the way they've handled the devastating two-time loss of Robbie Hummel, and have two stars and play some good defense, I just like the Boilermakers and would not mind at all to see them cut down the nets.
Of course, were they to meet Duke in the finals I would like to seem them obliterated, but if Duke can't make it to the finals, I have decided to pull for Purdue (if they're still alive). After seeing them handle OSU at home, I like what they bring to the table.
No other ACC team has earned my support this year.
And yes, I hope Carolina gets manhandled in the first round.

After that wrestling match in the Sweet Sixteen, I'm not a Purdue fan. I'll respect them, but I don't like that style of play.

I can support BYU. I'm impressed by the job Dixon has done at Pitt, so I can root for them. And of course I'll root for Brey and Notre Dame, although they always seem to flame out starting aboutnow.

J_C_Steel
02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Being from Pittsburgh, it's an easy choice for me. I remember my Dad, then a student in the masters of social work program at the University, took me to old Fitzgerald Field House to watch Jerome Lane and Charles Smith play for the Panthers. Fun times.

If not Duke, I'd love to see Pitt cut down the nets.

uh_no
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Being from Pittsburgh, it's an easy choice for me. I remember my Dad, then a student in the masters of social work program at the University, took me to old Fitzgerald Field House to watch Jerome Lane and Charles Smith play for the Panthers. Fun times.

If not Duke, I'd love to see Pitt cut down the nets.

I think they're the best team in the country. Yeah they've had a couple losses.....they've also beat texas and will likely win the BE regular season crown (and have as good a shot as anyone in the big east to win the tournament, especially with a double bye)

they have never played very well in the tournament though, and I'm not sure why.

Jeff Frosh
02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
I think they're the best team in the country. Yeah they've had a couple losses.....they've also beat texas and will likely win the BE regular season crown (and have as good a shot as anyone in the big east to win the tournament, especially with a double bye)

they have never played very well in the tournament though, and I'm not sure why.

uh . . . no . . . Duke is the best team in the country. I choose to believe (at least at this moment) that the sportswriters and coaches know what they are talking about.

PADukeMom
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
You are joking...RIGHT? Seriously??? It's like saying if I can win the PowerBall who do I want to win?

Reddevil
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Okay, I'll play. NC State miraculously wins the ACC Tournament, and goes on to win the NCAA Tournament. Lowe saves his job and a new era is born. Unc fades into the background, and Duke vs NC State becomes THE rivalry in college basketball. Decades from now, some one will ask on this very board, "Wasn't Duke vs Unc a big deal at one point in time?".......aaaaaaaaaaaaand end scene.:cool:

Vasherized
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Obviously if Irving was healthy, Duke would be a runaway favorite to cut down the nets back to back, as we wrote back in November.

here's a quick elite 8 breakdown, featuring the first four teams:

Duke
Pitt
Kansas
Ohio State

http://marchtomarch.fantake.com/2011/02/23/elite-eight-breakdown-part-i/

mac46
02-24-2011, 03:09 PM
is making some really bold, improbable predictions.