PDA

View Full Version : How Great Was It

AsiaMinor
02-24-2011, 10:16 AM
to have Coach Knight calling the game.

4decadedukie
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
It was GREAT. There is NO more knowledgeable and forthright student and commentator of the game (and, I would also add, no leader/teacher with better proven results: Coach K, wins, graduation rates, and so forth).

killerleft
02-24-2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with you fellers.

And who knew he would become so mellow.

mkline09
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I agree with you fellers.

And who knew he would become so mellow.

Great analysis as always from Coach Knight. I love his sense of humor referring to his lack of ability to get out of the Crow's Nest. He referred to Duke as the plural "Dukes" once and I love it when he calls it a dunk shot.

He really praises and picks out the little things like help defense, stepping in passing lanes, makes good passes and offensive positioning. Refreshing and not a scrap of bias or partiality. The way the game should be called.

I've never seen a game with Reece Davis either and I thought he did a good job to stay out of Coach's way.

delfrio
02-24-2011, 11:37 AM
"Head fake, head fake, everybody head fake!"

Merlindevildog91
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Can we get Reece Davis and Bob Knight every game? Davis is a much better sidekick to RMK than Brent Musberger, and Coach Knight picks up on so much that the other announcers just miss.

fitimi1
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, it was definitely a 10.

monkey
02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Agree with the general sentiment here, though I found the half-time discussion between legends somewhat underwhelming. The highlight for me was actually when we went to a 2-3 zone for a little while in the second half and Knight humorously wondering if K was doing it just to show off that he'd learned that he didn't use in his playing days (and going on to say that K must trust his guys with it more than Knight trusted his own players ...)

Chris Randolph
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
I like Bob Knight because he doesn't "sugar" things up for ESPN. He just tells it how it is and doesn't care what or who ESPN wants him to hype up. Obviously he is knowledgable and points out mistakes by players and referees alike but in not biased toward one team or the other so that is good.

On ESPN, I'd still take Dan Shulman and Dickie V any day

PADukeMom
02-24-2011, 12:58 PM
It was fantastic to be able to watch & listen to a game. Coach Knight provides such a wealth of knowledge of the game & breaks it down so that even a Mom could understand without dumbing the information down.

Son of Mojo
02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
When I saw Knight was calling the game, I hit record on the dvr. I don't record all our games, and this was one I hadn't planned on (I try to put some to dvd from dvr on occasion for myself). What I love is when he sees something happening before it happens. Good example was 5 seconds before the execution, he calls Kyle being open in a post up and says here's where Duke needs to get him the ball and BAM--it happens. I texted a unc buddy of mine last night to say how I love hearing Knight call our games, to which he ranted that was because he loves us and is biased for us. Unfortunately for him I guess he wasn't able to watch the game where Knight called out fouls and walks against us when he saw it. His lack of bias to go with his knowledge is such a great mix and needed MUCH MORE on the 4 letter network.

Namtilal
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Ten minutes into the game, I actually emailed ESPN to plead for them to can the ACC announcers and get guys who are at least half as good as Davis and Coach Knight.

bulldog44
02-24-2011, 01:10 PM
He was awesome, I would nominate him for every game. I couldn't even argue or get riled up when he pointed out that we got away with a no call. Seriously he is in a class by himself.

camion
02-24-2011, 02:25 PM
RMK knows what he's talking about and he talks about what is happening on the court.

Good and good.

CharlestonDevil
02-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I like to think that Heaven has Bobby Knight calling Duke games in Cameron.

dukestheheat
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Every time I hear one of Knight's games, I am so very impressed. It's sad, to me at least, that he didn't 'finish well' as coach at Indiana, but I just enjoy his many points of teaching during the flow of the game.

However, I cringed when he could spot all those missed calls (many went against our beloved); I'm sure he's right, but hey, miss a few of those will ya!?

dth.

dukebluelemur
02-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I love RMK on the mic as well. I did notice one awkward moment though, it jump out at any of you guys? It was where Knight was doing the bit on how great a program K runs and finishes up with something like, "And he doesn't get in any trouble with his players, or anything like that...<and just sort of trailed off>" I don't know if he was prompted that line, or whether it was spontaneous, but it was somewhat ironic coming from a guy with his background.

OldPhiKap
02-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I love RMK on the mic as well. I did notice one awkward moment though, it jump out at any of you guys? It was where Knight was doing the bit on how great a program K runs and finishes up with something like, "And he doesn't get in any trouble with his players, or anything like that...<and just sort of trailed off>" I don't know if he was prompted that line, or whether it was spontaneous, but it was somewhat ironic coming from a guy with his background.

I thought he was thinking of Calhoun and trailed off.

The awkward pause I saw was in the first half, when Reese started mentioning how K was catching up to Bobby. When Reese would stop talking, . . . dead silence. This happened two or three times in a row before the half. Second half, Bobby was more open to talking about it although primarily in response to "Gee, coach, isn't it great that the two of you are sharing this?"

sandinmyshoes
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I love the knowledge of the game that Coach Knight brings to a broadcast. But, last night I actually saw signs that he is becoming much more chatty, and beginning to talk about other things than the game itself.

I have this feeling that the ESPN directors are suggesting he be more conversational. They hate dead air. But I'm afraid they're going to ruin a good thing. Although, he's got a long, long way to go before he would be as bad as Vitale and some others.

I say pair him up with a chatty play-by-play guy and just let Coach be Coach.

crimsonandblue
02-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I love the knowledge of the game that Coach Knight brings to a broadcast. But, last night I actually saw signs that he is becoming much more chatty, and beginning to talk about other things than the game itself.

I have this feeling that the ESPN directors are suggesting he be more conversational. They hate dead air. But I'm afraid they're going to ruin a good thing. Although, he's got a long, long way to go before he would be as bad as Vitale and some others.

I say pair him up with a chatty play-by-play guy and just let Coach be Coach.

Knight does a ton of Big X(II) games. He's pretty hit or miss and seems somewhat dependent on his interest level. Teaming him with someone like Davis, as opposed to his normal Musberger on play-by-play helps. He needs someone to direct his knowledge and interest. Otherwise, he teeters on old man rants, discussions about baseball, and constant gripes about shots too early in the shot clock and lack of use of the ball fake.

He's not bad. And he provides some occasional rare insight, but he's getting old and is inconsistent, which is understandable.

Zeb
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
The awkward pause I saw was in the first half, when Reese started mentioning how K was catching up to Bobby. When Reese would stop talking, . . . dead silence.

I thought the interview footage they showed prior to halftime was also a bit awkward. K is sitting right next to Knight, and K is smiling and enthusiastically describing how his passing coach Knight will be a celebration for both of them. Knight just stared ahead, even as K looked at him and smiled. If you were being kind, you might have just said Knight looked spaced out. He also looked pretty old--he seems to have aged a lot since he stopped coaching.

All of this is interesting in the bigger context of Knight and K's relationship. After Duke beat Indiania in the Final Four in 1992, I read Knight refused to talk to K for years! I believe they re-established contact when K was inducted into the Hall of Fame and asked Knight to introduce him. If that is all true, it is sad that Knight's competetive fire/temper is so intense he would let it get in the way of a special relationship. If the tables were turned. I can't imagine Coach K freezing out Dawkins or Capel after a tough loss.

BTW - Regardless of his treatment of K, I love Knight as an announcer. The comment above about prefering Dick Vitale... please. He is a braying clown.

Dr. Tina
02-24-2011, 06:22 PM
When they were talking to Coach K and RMK about K surpassing him, I got the same weird impression that some of you did. I have heard how RMK reacted to K beating him in the Final Four. I can't help but wonder how he feels about K being 9 games away from being the all-time winningest coach.

Danke Shane
02-24-2011, 07:25 PM
However, I cringed when he could spot all those missed calls (many went against our beloved); I'm sure he's right, but hey, miss a few of those will ya!?

dth.

Yeah, honestly this was the only thing I took away from Knight's commentary. 80% of the time it was "[basketball analysis] and oh yeah the ref missed an obvious travel/offensive foul." I just found it a little grating on the ears. It would be trying to listen to an NFL game with Madden providing color commentary and then him slipping in a "and the refs missed a holding call on the D-Lineman" after every play. Just stick with the analysis my man. If the coach isn't on the floor screaming about a missed call it ain't news to me.

CLW
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
IT WAS AWESOME BABY WITH A CAPITAL A!

I always enjoy listening to Knight call a game because I ALWAYS learn something about the game.

mickeysgotagun
02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Quick thought, when Coach K retires in 2050 (I can have my dreams), do you think he'll every commentate for a game?

OldPhiKap
02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
After Duke beat Indiania in the Final Four in 1992, I read Knight refused to talk to K for years!

IIRC, Knight sent a personal note to K at some point prior to the game. K read it, and it really upset him. How they patched it up, or if that was indeed how it went down, I do not know. I never heard of either party disclosing what was in the note.

Dev11
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
According to one of the golf pros at the WaDuke, Coach Knight was around on Tuesday to play a round, then spent Wednesday preparing for the Duke-Temple game. He drove to Pinehurst for a round on Thursday, and is taking a lesson and playing another round at the WaDuke today before driving to Blacksburg tonight.

Raise your hand if you would like to trade places with Coach Knight this week.

snowdenscold
02-25-2011, 01:28 PM
According to one of the golf pros at the WaDuke, Coach Knight was around on Tuesday to play a round, then spent Wednesday preparing for the Duke-Temple game. He drove to Pinehurst for a round on Thursday, and is taking a lesson and playing another round at the WaDuke today before driving to Blacksburg tonight.

Raise your hand if you would like to trade places with Coach Knight this week.

If only basketball season took place in April....

Devilsfan
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought it was a shame to make the retired General climb the metal ladder and have to sit in the crow's nest. He really seemed to struggle with that. Didn't we let the "mouth of the South", DV sit in the front row when he did our games. NOT FAIR! if this was the case. IMO.

Devilsfan
02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Who was in Knight's foursome and does he show composure when he hits a bad shot or loses a hole?

ns7
02-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Who was in Knight's foursome and does he show composure when he hits a bad shot or loses a hole?

There's a pretty funny video of Bobby Knight's golfing show from when he was coaching at Indiana. I'm sure you can find it on youtube. Not sure if I can link to it because there's a ton of profanity in it.