PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Temple

Bob Green
02-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Who was the Man-of-the-Match against Temple?

Bluedevil114
02-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Kyle Singler. clap. clap. clap!!

basket1544
02-23-2011, 09:10 PM
So happy to vote for Kyle!!

Bob Green
02-23-2011, 09:10 PM
This one belongs to Kyle Singler. He broke out of his scoring mini-slump in a big way with 28 points. Moreover, he scored by driving the ball. There were solid contributions from several players who deserve a mention. First, as always, Nolan Smith orchestrated the offense with precision. Mason Plumlee pulled down 13 rebounds, Seth Curry and Ryan Kelly were both solid, and Andre Dawkins hit two 3-pointers in limited playing time. Dawkins' second 3-pointer was a long range bomb!

Edit: I can't believe I left out Tyler Thornton. He was vital in the 1st half scoring six points when the offense was a little out of sync.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Edit: I can't believe I left out Tyler Thornton. He was vital in the 1st half scoring six points when the offense was a little out of sync.

I was on the fence between Singler and Thornton. I finally voted for Thornton because I knew Singler would get a lot of votes and also because Tyler somehow stood up and stopped Temple when it was most dangerous in the first half. With Temple undermanned their best hope of winning had to happen in the first half. But Tyler stepped in and took the wind out of their sails in a way that was very veteran-like for a freshman. The game was by no means over but Tyler's play in the first half made Temple face a very steep uphill battle, and they just don't have the bench for it.

Singler stepped up and put the icing on the cake.

devildeac
02-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Well done, Mr. Singler, well done.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2011, 11:06 PM
About time we get to vote for Kyle!:cool:

jv001
02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
Kyle Singler hands down(or up) as MOTM. Good jobs by Tyler, Mason, Ryan and Seth. And of course Nolan who sort of went under the radar. Go Duke!

magjayran
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I like Tyler a lot as a player but I think it's pretty crappy of him to hack into someone's account and vote for himself. Even worse, he decided make a post justifying his vote. This seems like a clear violation of team rules and could potentially result in a suspension.

Newton_14
02-23-2011, 11:12 PM
My vote went to Kyle. I loved his game tonight. He scored the 28 without hitting a 3, while also shutting down Temple's best player on defense. I am not sure the media full appreciates the defense Kyle has played this year. He has brought it on defense game in and game out.

Seth had a really awesome assist tonight. On the lob to Mason, Seth made it look like he did not see Mason, and waited to the last minute before making the pass in practically "no look" fashion. The pass was right on the money too. Great play.

Good supporting cast like Bob mentioned from Nolan, Mason, Seth, Ryan, Tyler, and Andre. Andre's demeanor looked better tonight. Hopefully he works his way back into the rotation. We need the Andre we saw in the first part of the year. We were much better offensively when he was playing at his best.

On another note, I ran into Jon Scheyer's dad outside of Cameron shortly before the game. I told him it was great to see Jon playing again, and he thanked me and said he would pass the encouragement along to Jon. Very nice guy.

devildeac
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
My vote went to Kyle. I loved his game tonight. He scored the 28 without hitting a 3, while also shutting down Temple's best player on defense. I am not sure the media full appreciates the defense Kyle has played this year. He has brought it on defense game in and game out.

Seth had a really awesome assist tonight. On the lob to Mason, Seth made it look like he did not see Mason, and waited to the last minute before making the pass in practically "no look" fashion. The pass was right on the money too. Great play.

Good supporting cast like Bob mentioned from Nolan, Mason, Seth, Ryan, Tyler, and Andre. Andre's demeanor looked better tonight. Hopefully he works his way back into the rotation. We need the Andre we saw in the first part of the year. We were much better offensively when he was playing at his best.

On another note, I ran into Jon Scheyer's dad outside of Cameron shortly before the game. I told him it was great to see Jon playing again, and he thanked me and said he would pass the encouragement along to Jon. Very nice guy.
I will echo the sentiments about Mr. Scheyer. Tonight was the 3rd occasion I have had to run into him and he has been gracious each time. The 1st two were outside MSG before the Gonzaga game and the 2nd was outside Lucas Field before the WVU game and we know how both those worked out;). I spoke with him briefly tonight after the game and he said Jon's eye injury was healing and he was making progress. He knows all Duke fans are rooting for Jon.

JasonEvans
02-23-2011, 11:44 PM
I was on the fence between Singler and Thornton. I finally voted for Thornton because I knew Singler would get a lot of votes and also because Tyler somehow stood up and stopped Temple when it was most dangerous in the first half.

I've got no problem with your vote and I agree that TT was an important spark when the team needed him...

...but the poll currently stands at 99-1. I just thought I would point that out ;)

--Jason "we'll never get a unanimous one of these, will we?" Evans

Greg_Newton
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure if this signifies that Kyle is "back" - unless I'm mistaken, he was primarily guarded by a 6'4 180 defender - but he was great tonight, and hopefully it's big for his confidence.

For my money, he's such a better player when he's using his physicality and attacking the rim than just floating around screens on the perimeter.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-24-2011, 12:16 AM
I've got no problem with your vote and I agree that TT was an important spark when the team needed him...

...but the poll currently stands at 99-1. I just thought I would point that out ;)

Kyle totally deserves it. His performance tonight was amazing. As I said, I was about to vote for him.

But I don't know if the man of a match in any team sport should ever be entirely unanimous. I always for vote for whatever player steps up as the hinge player at the most dangerous point of the game. Today I thought that was Tyler.

wsb3
02-24-2011, 06:09 AM
Easy choice to go with Kyle. I agree with others that in a ugly first half Tyler looked really good again.

mgtr
02-24-2011, 07:27 AM
I voted for Kyle, but there were definitely others who stepped up when needed: Andre, Tyler, and of course Seth. Tyler impresses more all the time. I can't imagine what it would take to get him to back down -- a tough kid.

devildeac
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Ever thought about a DBR post-game poll where we vote for the Best Supporting Actor in a Male Role...

;>))

PADukeMom
02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Kyle by a landslide! AHemmmmmmm.... WHO was the ONE person last week who said Kyle was BACK!!??!! :cool: I'll keep these Duke Blue glasses if you don't mind.

KYLE IS BACK. Honorable shout outs to Mason & Seth. Nolan...still mad love & want your jersey!

4decadedukie
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
With joy, I voted for Captain Singler; he not only had a stellar game (and in every aspect of the game), but he appeared to be "renewed" in the post-game interview.

superdave
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure if this signifies that Kyle is "back" - unless I'm mistaken, he was primarily guarded by a 6'4 180 defender - but he was great tonight, and hopefully it's big for his confidence.

For my money, he's such a better player when he's using his physicality and attacking the rim than just floating around screens on the perimeter.

I thought Kyle grinded this game out. He was determined to get to the rim and drew 3 fouls in the first 8 minutes. I'd love to see him start every game that way the rest of the season, starting inside then moving outside. He struggled to get the ball up on the backboard a few times and lost a few dribbles in traffic, but his confidence has to be back and frustrations behind him now. To me, his turnaround bankshot was something of beauty, mainly because we had not seen it in a while. Here's to a strong finish!

jv001
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Ever thought about a DBR post-game poll where we vote for the Best Supporting Actor in a Male Role...

;>))

X-Factor vote on DBR? Go Duke!

rasputin
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
I voted for Kyle, but wanted to also say that Mason had a terrific game. He was a major force inside.

ncexnyc
02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Wow, looking at the numbers I see this is one of the most lopsided polls of the season.