PDA

View Full Version : Nolan and the ACC points and assists milestone

DukieinSoCal
02-23-2011, 05:33 PM
I've noticed that Kendall Marshall has pretty much closed the gap on Nolan's assist average and will likely pass him soon since he's playing so many more minutes now. I would have loved to see Nolan be the first player ever in ACC history to lead the league in both points and assists.

Does anyone think that Nolan or coach K would be even remotely aware of this stat during games? I wouldn't mind Nolan picking up a few extra assists at the end of games instead of pulling him early in a blowout. I know we would never play for records or stats, but there have been instances where coaches helped a deserving player reach a milestone without it being considered poor sportsmanship.

CDu
02-23-2011, 05:40 PM
I've noticed that Kendall Marshall has pretty much closed the gap on Nolan's assist average and will likely pass him soon since he's playing so many more minutes now. I would have loved to see Nolan be the first player ever in ACC history to lead the league in both points and assists.

Does anyone think that Nolan or coach K would be even remotely aware of this stat during games? I wouldn't mind Nolan picking up a few extra assists at the end of games instead of pulling him early in a blowout. I know we would never play for records or stats, but there have been instances where coaches helped a deserving player reach a milestone without it being considered poor sportsmanship.

I don't see Coach K changing things just to chase an arbitrary individual statistical feat - especially considering that he can't control what Marshall does. The team will do what's best for the team. Fortunately, what's best for the team seems to be having the ball in Smith's hands a lot, which increases his chances at both points and assists. But beyond that, I doubt we'll see any effort to go out of the way to pad stats.

_TheFakeJWill_
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
anyone know who is in 2nd place in points and assists?! Marshall must not be too far behind.

DukieinSoCal
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Nolan is averaging 21.7 pts/gm and 5.3 assists. Malcolm Delaney is 2nd in points at 19.1 and Marshall is 2nd in assists at 5.2.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I had to do the math. If the assist trend by each play over the last 10 games continues through the end of the regular season, then Marshall will nip Nolan by the last game. Not sure if the milestone calculations would also include tourney games. Obviously it gets worse if the trends hold. But clearly it's not a done deal. That said, I agree with the above - no way anyone takes this milestone into acccount. Except perhaps Marshall to try to ruin it for Nolan.

(Sorry this is messy. I didn't know how to insert a real table here.

Projected Assists......Marshall vs. Smith

Total assists to date..........134.....144
Games to date...................26......27
Avg to date......................5.15....5.33

Last 10 games - assists......63.......47
Last 10 gms - avg.............6.3.......4.7

Projected total assists.......159......163
Reg season gms played......30........31
Projected avg assists.....5.31....5.25

Highlander
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM
I had to do the math. If the assist trend by each play over the last 10 games continues through the end of the regular season, then Marshall will nip Nolan by the last game. Not sure if the milestone calculations would also include tourney games. Obviously it gets worse if the trends hold. But clearly it's not a done deal. That said, I agree with the above - no way anyone takes this milestone into acccount. Except perhaps Marshall to try to ruin it for Nolan.

(Sorry this is messy. I didn't know how to insert a real table here.

Projected Assists......Marshall vs. Smith

Total assists to date..........134.....144
Games to date...................26......27
Avg to date......................5.15....5.33

Last 10 games - assists......63.......47
Last 10 gms - avg.............6.3.......4.7

Projected total assists.......159......163
Reg season gms played......30........31
Projected avg assists.....5.31....5.25

When they say "lead the league in assists," does that only include league games? If so, # of games would be the same.

nocilla
02-23-2011, 07:49 PM
When they say "lead the league in assists," does that only include league games? If so, # of games would be the same.

No, this is for all games. Marshall already leads in ACC only stats.

JasonEvans
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Nolan picked up 4 assists tonight while Marshall picked up 5 (he only had 1 with 15 minutes left in the game, but had some key passes as Carolina extended their lead late).

Nolan has played one more game than Kendall. Marshall now has 139 assists thru 27 games while Nolan has 148 through 28. In easy terms, this means that Kendall is 9 assists in one game behind Nolan. Seeing as they both average about 5 assists per game, it means Nolan is about 4 assists ahead of Kendall.

This is gonna be close, folks!! Does anyone know if the ACC tournament is considered in the race for statistical titles? In other words, does Nolan have to hold Kendall off for 3 more games or are there potentially 6 games left?

-Jason "it would be oh so nice for Kendall to have a doughnut game to make this less interesting" Evans

Zeb
02-23-2011, 11:45 PM
-Jason "it would be oh so nice for Kendall to have a doughnut game to make this less interesting" Evans

I agree, preferrably next Saturday.

M B Walker
02-23-2011, 11:48 PM
This is gonna be close, folks!! Does anyone know if the ACC tournament is considered in the race for statistical titles? In other words, does Nolan have to hold Kendall off for 3 more games or are there potentially 6 games left?

More than six games left, most likely. According to the stats at theacc.com, last year's individual statistical leaders included ALL games, including games in the NCAA and NIT tournaments. (i.e., all 40 games Duke played last year). So we still have a ways to go.

If the stats are for ACC games only (also kept on theacc.com), then it's already close to over. Marshall is a full assist per game over Nolan in ACC only games.

Olympic Fan
02-24-2011, 01:15 AM

Jason, he's got to hold him off for as many as 12 games ... all games count, including postseason (ACC and NCAA) games. And for the official title, it is the overall season total, not just in-conference games.

Nolan actually has the scoring title pretty solidly locked up -- he entered last night's game 2.6 points ahead of Delaney. Let's see, after 15 vs. Temple, he dropped to 21.4 ... still 2.3 ahead of Delaney (19.1). That's an awful lot to make up in a short time.

But, as you guys note, the assist title is up for grabs. After last night:

Nolan 148 in 28 games -- 5.29 a game
Marshall 139 in 27 games -- 5.15 a game

DukieTiger
02-24-2011, 01:18 AM
Jason, he's got to hold him off for as many as 12 games ... all games count, including postseason (ACC and NCAA) games. And for the official title, it is the overall season total, not just in-conference games.

Nolan actually has the scoring title pretty solidly locked up -- he entered last night's game 2.6 points ahead of Delaney. Let's see, after 15 vs. Temple, he dropped to 21.4 ... still 2.3 ahead of Delaney (19.1). That's an awful lot to make up in a short time.

UNC still has to play a couple of tough defenses in the last week of the regular season: between MD, @FSU and the Dukies- here's hoping Kendall gets bottled up a bit in the next week, for multiple reasons!
:D

gw67
02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Apparently all games count (which is idiotic IMO, if it is an ACC record it should be for ACC games only). I watched last night's game and I only counted 3 assists for Smith (all passes to Curry for 3 pointers). The only other one that may have been counted was a pass to Singler who the made a nice dribble drive. I would not have counted it unless I was a scorekeeper for the NHL but that is the world of assists in the college game. Actually, Smith made a number of nice passes last night and the Duke players didn't convert. He could have had close to 10 assists with a little luck.

gw67

bdevil4life
02-24-2011, 09:11 AM
If NCAA tourney games count Nolan will have to maintain his avg for at least 3 more tourney games than Marshall! :)

uh_no
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
If NCAA tourney games count Nolan will have to maintain his avg for at least 3 more tourney games than Marshall! :)

this scares me actually, with the supposed return of kyrie, both nolan's points and assists will likely take a hit

El_Diablo
02-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Apparently all games count (which is idiotic IMO, if it is an ACC record it should be for ACC games only). I watched last night's game and I only counted 3 assists for Smith (all passes to Curry for 3 pointers). The only other one that may have been counted was a pass to Singler who the made a nice dribble drive. I would not have counted it unless I was a scorekeeper for the NHL but that is the world of assists in the college game. Actually, Smith made a number of nice passes last night and the Duke players didn't convert. He could have had close to 10 assists with a little luck.

gw67

He made an inbound pass under the basket to Singler for an easy layup in the second half.

gw67
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
He made an inbound pass under the basket to Singler for an easy layup in the second half.

Thanks. I don't remember that one at all.

gw67

BD80
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

gw67

Someone mentioned scorekeepers that count assists like the NHL, so just for fun:

KMarshall 2011

7 home games 56 assists, 8.0 apg.
7 away games 31 assists, 4.4 apg.

NSmith 2011

9 home games 50 assists, 5.5 apg.
7 away games 30 assists, 4.3 apg

Kendall nearly doubles his assist rate at home! Couldn't be the scorekeeping :rolleyes:

tylervinyard
02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
this scares me actually, with the supposed return of kyrie, both nolan's points and assists will likely take a hit

Nolan averaged 5 assists a game with Kyrie. I'm not too worried.