PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the Beavers

burnspbesq
02-23-2011, 02:32 AM
No, not Oregon State.

That would be Caltech, which ended its 26-year, 310-game conference losing streak with a 46-45 win over Occidental on Tuesday night. Ryan Elmquist's free throw with three seconds remaining was the difference.

Caltech finishes the season at 5-20, 1-13 in conference (only the top four teams advance to the SCIAC tournament). Occidental becomes the answer to the trivia question that nobody in the SCIAC wanted to be the answer to.

NovaScotian
02-23-2011, 08:12 AM
yeaaah! wooooO! alright, cal tech!

jdj4duke
02-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Scholar athletes, one and all.

Deslok
02-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I actually had one of my students sort of recruited by CalTech a few years ago. He applied there and was an outstanding student, particularly in Math/Science. It also just so happened that he was our basketball captain and a varsity player on both the volleyball and basketball teams for several years. When the coach heard about him, he sent him a couple of emails, very politely worded and all trying to convince him to be part of some truly special student athletes. Was an interesting exchange and not at all what I figure a major recruiting pitch for big time schools ends up being. In the end, he opted for an Ivy League school and only plays basketball recreationally.

SuperTurkey
02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
In honor of Leslie Nielsen: "Nice Beavers!"