PDA

View Full Version : Coach K story that will make you proud to be a Dukie

nmduke2001
02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Mods, not sure if this is the appropriate place for this. Please move if it is not.

I work in an industry in which wholesalers call me daily to pitch their products. Upon learning that I went to Duke, many of them will bring up Duke during our conversations. One young man in particular is very knowledgeable about Duke. Today, Shane asked me if I thought Kyrie would return. I asked him why he knew so much about Duke and he said it was his favorite team. I asked him why, and he told me the following story.

Shane’s aunt had attended Fuqua. His mother became a big Duke fan. His little sister also became a big Duke fan. To be different, Shane became an UNC fan. In January of 2008, his 20 year old-sister, 48 year-old mother and aunt attended the Duke v. Temple game in Philly. A few days after the game, his mother suffered an embolism and died. After the funeral, his sister told him that spending time with their mother at the Duke game is something that she would never forget.

Shane was obviously heartbroken and could hardly get out of bed for over a month. In early March of that year, he was watching the NCAA tournament when a Duke game came on. He got up and wrote Coach K a letter. The letter basically said that his mother and sister had a great time at the game and he thanked Coach for bringing the team to Philly. He gave Coach his sister’s address and asked that if Coach had time, that he please send a signed shirt or something to raise her spirits.

Nine months went by and Shane got a phone call from his sister. She asked if he had sent Coach a letter. Hardly remembering he said yes. She had just received a note from Coach. It was 5 pages and handwritten. It was full of encouragement and well wishes. A few days later, Shane received a note as well. His was 4 pages, also handwritten. Coach first apologized for taking so long to get back to him. Between his duties at Duke and the Olympics, he hadn’t found the appropriate time to write a letter. The letter also told of how Coach felt when he lost his father as a young man. Again, this letter was full of encouragement and well wishes. Shane is now a huge Duke fan and hates UNC.

I really enjoyed hearing this story and I hope I did it justice. We are lucky to have Coach K at Duke.

ForkFondler
02-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Shane is now a huge Duke fan and hates UNC.

Wait a minute, there's something wrong here. Liking Duke does not entail hating UNC. And more importantly, UNC-CH can be hated on their own merits.

Bluedog
02-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Liking Duke does not entail hating UNC.

:confused: Well, maybe liking Duke does not necessarily require you to hate UNC, but certainly one of the key tenets of Duke fandom is a disdain for UNC. I think most people on this site would look at you oddly if you claimed to be a huge Duke fan and then also said you liked UNC.

Thanks for sharing the great story! Coach K is a class act. He signed a poster for me and wrote a note as a "graduation present" and I picked it up in Schwartz-Butters just two days before I graduated from Duke!

JasonEvans
02-22-2011, 11:38 PM
Great story... and I moved it to its own thread. It deserved a thread.

By the way, it is worth noting that K did not tell anyone about this letter. He did not have the Duke media machine put the word out about this so columnists could write about what an amazing guy he is.

Nope, he just wrote pages and pages -- pouring out his heart to a family who had Duke in their heart. We only know about it because someone affected by it told a friend about it.

Folks, to merely say we are lucky to have him just does not cover it. I am at a loss for words.

--Jason "blessed... that comes close" Evans

terrih
02-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Well said Jason.

To the OP- thanks for sharing the story.

hedevil
02-23-2011, 04:57 AM
Wow! Real nice story. I love coach K the coach, but coach K the person is really something great.

wsb3
02-23-2011, 05:51 AM
My dad who had been very sick was basically given his death sentence the weekend of the Final Four. He passed away a few days later. I wrote to Coach K and told him about my mom and dad and their 59+ years of being in love and that my dad was dieing of cancer. I felt like for that weekend for two hours on Saturday and two hours on Monday night that my mom got a slight break from watching her husband die. Mom supported Duke because of my life long love and her first grandchild who I raised in all things proper. DUKE. I wrote that mom did not know a block from a charge but she loved Duke Basketball, watched it more nervously than we did, and loved Coach K.

One month passed by and I received a letter that I still have today. One thing I always recall is his beginning of 59 years followed by WOW. I read it to my mom as we sat on the porch as we so often did. For once my tears were greater than hers.

4decadedukie
02-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Thank you so much for posting this thread, which highlights the character, the decency, the leadership, and the humanity of Coach K. I am especially grateful for it, because simultaneously there is a much lengthier DBR discussion of Jim Calhoun, and his performance, leadership and values as UConn's coach.

The juxtaposition of K and Calhoun permits me to make a critical point. Some have argued that simply operating WITHIN the NCAA's -- and the law's -- regulatory and statutory margins is all that is required of a leader, a role model, and a major institutional representative (both Calhoun and K have these very significant roles, beyond simply being head coaches). I strongly disagree. When Calhoun tolerates substantial crime by his players, when he permits thuggishness on and off the court, when he is indifferent toward academic performance and community service, when he skirts NCAA regulations regarding recruiting and is willfully ignorant of the illicit actions of subordinates and associates, he not only establishes an environment of ethical permissiveness and plain sleaziness, but he also indicates that these are both his and UConn's values. Leaders and role models must NEVER do these sorts of things, must never act in these ways, and -- most important -- MUST never forget that many other individuals look to their values, attitudes and character as "life exemplars." Yes, Calhoun's willingness to operate on the edges of the rules may -- in the short term -- permit UConn to win a few more intercollegiate basketball games; however, in the far more critical and enduring "game of life," Calhoun's disrespect for himself, for the university, for integrity and values, and for his players' long-term best interests make him a poor leader, a man to be pitied -- not emulated. I am sure that many who voted for Calhoun’s elevation to the HoF, today wish they had the foresight to see what an error they were making.

Contrast the foregoing to everything we know about Coach K. I believe his family background and USMA education -- and not only in the classroom and the laboratory, but also in the barracks, on the hardwood, and in the Corps of Cadets -- was decisive in shaping his values, his ethics, his attitudes, and the ways in which he leads. He certainly is a great Division I (and National Team) head coach; however, it is my deeply held opinion that he is an even better man, leader, role example, and teacher. This is precisely why K is beloved, respected, and admired in venues that extend far from Durham.

weezie
02-23-2011, 07:52 AM
And now I'm teary-eyed.
To echo someone above, words really do fail to describe how fortunate we are to be Duke and K fans.
At the gtech game we met a 32 yr old man with his dad waiting to get into their first visit to Cameron. Neither had any affiliation with the school, lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan and had saved all year for tickets. The dad was totally amped and the son was close to tears of joy. I was kind of tearing up with them.
It's just amazing, this whole Duke Nation!

4decadedukie
02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
And now I'm teary-eyed.
To echo someone above, words really do fail to describe how fortunate we are to be Duke and K fans.
At the gtech game we met a 32 yr old man with his dad waiting to get into their first visit to Cameron. Neither had any affiliation with the school, lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan and had saved all year for tickets. The dad was totally amped and the son was close to tears of joy. I was kind of tearing up with them.
It's just amazing, this whole Duke Nation!

To add one probably obvious -- but critical -- thought, it is certainly NOT coincidental that Duke University's (including its many, highly varied enterprises and constituencies) unprecedented improvement in national and global stature (both by academics and by other key influencers) coincides with Coach K's tenure. It certainly is not the only factor nor is it the decisive one, but I believe it is THE critical catalyst that enabled Duke's elevation to the "top tier."

Indoor66
02-23-2011, 09:15 AM
To add one probably obvious -- but critical -- thought, it is certainly NOT coincidental that Duke University's (including its many, highly varied enterprises and constituencies) unprecedented improvement in national and global stature (both by academics and by other key influencers) coincides with Coach K's tenure. It certainly is not the only factor nor is it the decisive one, but I believe it is THE critical catalyst that enabled Duke's elevation to the "top tier."

I would add a caveat to your time frame for ascendancy. In 1966 Duke announced it's 5th Decade fund raising effort to raise $300,000,000 in three years - led by Tom Broce and then David Ross. This was the first of numerous large fund raising efforts that were and are the prime movers in the ascendancy of Duke. That was done during the Bubas era. In fact, after Vic stepped down in 1969, he was a part of that fund raising cadre - as was Bucky Waters after he left coaching. Terry Sanford was also an extremely strong pillar of Duke growth.

Also we must consider Bill Anlyan who headed Duke Medical Center and propelled its growth. Such things as the world renowned Hyperbaric Medicine (http://hyperbaric.mc.duke.edu/History.html) Center, Highlands Hospital and the facilities growth.

Respectfully, these elements must also be acknowledged when we ascribe importance to facilitators of the development of Duke.

Coach K is one of many who led this development.

DukieInKansas
02-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you for sharing this story. We are indeed fortunate that Coach K came to Duke and survived those that wanted his job those first years. He has taught us all so much more than basketball.

4decadedukie
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I would add a caveat to your time frame for ascendancy. In 1966 Duke announced it's 5th Decade fund raising effort to raise $300,000,000 in three years - led by Tom Broce and then David Ross. This was the first of numerous large fund raising efforts that were and are the prime movers in the ascendancy of Duke. That was done during the Bubas era. In fact, after Vic stepped down in 1969, he was a part of that fund raising cadre - as was Bucky Waters after he left coaching. Terry Sanford was also an extremely strong pillar of Duke growth.

Also we must consider Bill Anlyan who headed Duke Medical Center and propelled its growth. Such things as the world renowned Hyperbaric Medicine (http://hyperbaric.mc.duke.edu/History.html) Center, Highlands Hospital and the facilities growth.

Respectfully, these elements must also be acknowledged when we ascribe importance to facilitators of the development of Duke.

Coach K is one of many who led this development.

While I agree with your overall thesis, my belief is genuine, consequential and widely held recognition (among US decision leaders) of Duke's emergence into the "top-tier" (both as a University and as an undergraduate program) coincided with the Sanford era, and it has only accelerated thereafter. You may recall the NY Time Magazine’s cover story that highlighted Duke as the "hot college" in the early/mid-'80s, which I believe to be the seminal acknowledgment of Duke's “coming out.” Now, none of this detracts from David Ross, Terry Sanford and their colleagues. However, the pace which Duke moved into – and was generally accepted as part of – the “Ives plus MIT, Stanford, etc.” substantially escalated during the K era. I would respectfully suggest that this is as a direct result of the Basketball Program’s visibility and its successes/wining “the right way” – with class, academic substance, high standards, excellent comportment, articulate and clean-cut athletes, and so forth – which was the fundamental point of my post #10.

Indoor66
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
While I agree with your overall thesis, my belief is genuine, consequential and widely held recognition (among US decision leaders) of Duke's emergence into the "top-tier" (both as a University and as an undergraduate program) coincided with the Sanford era, and it has only accelerated thereafter. You may recall the NY Time Magazine’s cover story that highlighted Duke as the "hot college" in the early/mid-'80s, which I believe to be the seminal acknowledgment of Duke's “coming out.” Now, none of this detracts from David Ross, Terry Sanford and their colleagues. However, the pace which Duke moved into – and was generally accepted as part of – the “Ives plus MIT, Stanford, etc.” substantially escalated during the K era. I would respectfully suggest that this is as a direct result of the Basketball Program’s visibility and its successes/wining “the right way” – with class, academic substance, high standards, excellent comportment, articulate and clean-cut athletes, and so forth – which was the fundamental point of my post #10.

I don't disagree. I was only alluding to the foundation that permitted the exponential growth in the 80's and 90's. It all has to start somewhere.

4decadedukie
02-23-2011, 10:35 AM
I don't disagree. I was only alluding to the foundation that permitted the exponential growth in the 80's and 90's. It all has to start somewhere.

You are right, it "has to start somewhere," perhaps with W P Few. However -- and truly not to argue or to pick nits -- in the last perhaps 25 years, Duke has clearly separated itself from what were our peers (Vanderbilt, UVa, and Emory, for example). We are now essentially evaluated in the mid-Ivies (with Harvard, Yale and Princeton slightly ahead, with Penn and Columbia in the same very narrow band, and with Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth marginally behind). I cite this hypothesis not to provoke debate concerning "my" ratings, but rather to emphasize our University's extremely rapid evolution.

J_C_Steel
02-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Just a beautiful story. It's that kind of attention to life that makes Coach K so special. He's not a just a coach; he's a leader of men.

texas
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
awesome story, just a confirmation of why coach K is the best in the business and a great man

Son of Mojo
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Very good story relayed to us and yet more proof how fortunate we are as fans to have such a man be involved and be a focal point of our fandom and esteem. Just when you think he's already a great man for his deeds and character, you hear more things like this that drive the point home even further.

pamtar
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
A truly heartwarming story, thanks for sharing. We are all very lucky as Duke fans to experience what Coach K does. Most of his truly inspiring accomplishments go unnoticed. Thanks for bringing this one to light. I find it absolutely amazing how much of himself he reveals and gives to others.

Not to hijack, but I have been trying to procure a gift for a friend who has been diagnosed with cancer for the second time in five years. She is a UNC fan so I thought a letter or signed ball from Coach Williams would be a good idea. I emailed around the Athletic Dept but got no reply. It appears a three month wait and a $10 fee are the requirements to get a letter/autograph from Roy. Understandably so. I'm sure he's extremely busy this time of year. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know.

weezie
02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Oh, you have got to be kidding! Pay royboy for a letter?

Oh seriously, how crass and tarhole-ian. :(
A pox on their "arena."

kong123
02-23-2011, 10:21 PM

A pox on their "arena."

Maybe if your friend was a 6'9" high school basketball player, you could get Roy and K to send him a letter.

LSanders
02-23-2011, 11:11 PM

A pox on their "arena."

Well said. Plus, tarhole-ian is a first-rate adjective!!

Grey Devil
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Speaking as someone who has worked in higher education for over 30 years I think I can say with some certainty that although Duke is now considered firmly ensconced in the firmament of "Ivies Plus" (many people in Higher Ed now refer to the Ivies Plus as including universities like Duke, Stanford, Chicago, etc. -- in fact, in my field there are regular meetings of a group referred to as the "ivies Plus"). The recognition that Duke belonged in this group probably was only marginally connected with, if at all, Coach K and the reputation of the basketball team. Most academics (at that level anyway) live and breathe their research and their field of study. In fact, at a social event you are probably much more likely to find faculty of these institutions sharing stories about the theater, a ballet performance, or a classical music concert than the results of an athletic contest. I know that sounds like a stereotype, but there is a good deal of truth to it. Duke made it's reputation in academia because of its academic accomplishments not its athletic accomplishments.

That said, I still follow the Devils closely, and yell "Go Duke!" as loud as anyone.

Grey Devil

-jk
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
No - Duke's greatness has it's roots in Dr. Hart's doubling faculty salaries during his short, but rather inspired (albeit in an absent-minded professorial manner), leadership role. He was of the opinion that a world class university had to be able to retain world class faculty.

And he even started the search for "Duke blue".

(Not that I'm an objective observer, mind you!)

-jk

4decadedukie
02-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Speaking as someone who has worked in higher education for over 30 years I think I can say with some certainty that although Duke is now considered firmly ensconced in the firmament of "Ivies Plus" . . . The recognition that Duke belonged in this group probably was only marginally connected with, if at all, Coach K and the reputation of the basketball team. Most academics (at that level anyway) live and breathe their research and their field of study. Grey Devil

Grey - I understand your position, but I would pointedly ask two questions:
1. How many of those brilliant academies, those endowed, munificently funded chairs, those stellar PhD-candidate/research assistants, those astonishing, world-class teaching and research facilities, those magnificent libraries, those scholarships, those state-of-the-art laboratories and IT systems, those increased professorial salaries, those reduced teaching schedules that accommodate enhanced research, and so forth at Duke would have been possible without the University’s phenomenal fund-raising record throughout the three (or four) last decades?
2. Further, would that overwhelming (principally alumni-based) generosity have occurred without the Basketball Program's aggregate successes (both on and off the court)?