PDA

View Full Version : Calhoun Hit With Sanctions!

BD80
02-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Katz reporting Cahoun found to have failed to create atmosphere of compliance, no post-season ban, sanctions to be announced later, assistant coach gets 2 year show cause.

SuperTurkey
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Katz reporting Cahoun found to have failed to create atmosphere of compliance, no post-season ban, sanctions to be announced later, assistant coach gets 2 year show cause.

What are the sanctions likely to be, then? A couple of lost scholarships, probation?

yancem
02-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Wow this would be a big hit to their program. It also might help us with the recruitment of Drummond! Still a long shot but one can dream.

BD80
02-22-2011, 10:44 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6146656

Announcement at 3:00.

He might skate with a citation.

tylervinyard
02-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow this would be a big hit to their program. It also might help us with the recruitment of Drummond! Still a long shot but one can dream.

I'd be more worried that Carolina would pick up Drummond because of these sanctions. Or are we considered his top second choice?

WiJoe
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Sadly, this is a slap on the wrist for Calhoun and CONn program. CRIME PAYS (again)!

-bdbd
02-22-2011, 11:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing. However, what I've read seems to be "UCONN, then everyone else." No real secondary leaders. Also, he seems likely one-and-done, so maybe not the impact he might have been. Still, would be nice... (though my money is still on Parker).

Given the long repeated history of issues at UCON it is certainly a possibility of stronger action. But I'm not holding my breath. Losing a couple scholarships for a couple of years seems most likely. I sure hope that it is more than just a wimpy "citation."

4decadedukie
02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Sadly, this is a slap on the wrist for Calhoun and CONn program. CRIME PAYS (again)!

This, if true, suggests similarly inconsequential penalties are likely for UNC (Davis/football) and Kentucky (when Calipari is eventually caught).

HaveFunExpectToWin
02-22-2011, 12:05 PM
This, if true, suggests similarly inconsequential penalties are likely for UNC (Davis/football) and Kentucky (when Calipari is eventually caught).

Don't forget Pearl and UT.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 12:07 PM

The player for whom the infraction was committed never played for the program, so the infractions seem more like a lose for everybody....not sure how crime payed in this situation.....

JohnGalt
02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
The player for whom the infraction was committed never played for the program, so the infractions seem more like a lose for everybody....not sure how crime payed in this situation.....

That's like saying it's ok to rob a bank as long as you quickly destroy the money afterwards. Whether or not he has anything to show for it, he still violated NCAA rules...and deserves punishment.

Eventually, Calhoun. Eventually.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
That's like saying it's ok to rob a bank as long as you quickly destroy the money afterwards. Whether or not he has anything to show for it, he still violated NCAA rules...and deserves punishment.

Eventually, Calhoun. Eventually.

I don't disagree, I was simply contending that Uconn never even received the benefits of this cheating, much like a robber who stole a bunch of counterfeit bills.

The person I actually feel bad for is the kid...nate miles, who had looked up to these coaches and probably was looking for a chance to turn his life around and never got that chance....given violating a restraining order is pretty bad....

yancem
02-22-2011, 12:50 PM
I'd be more worried that Carolina would pick up Drummond because of these sanctions. Or are we considered his top second choice?

Well if unc were to sign Drummond then that makes them even less likely to sign Parker. Of course Parker could go to Ohio State or somewhere else and Duke misses out on both but I prefer to look at the positive outcomes.

rasputin
02-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't disagree, I was simply contending that Uconn never even received the benefits of this cheating, much like a robber who stole a bunch of counterfeit bills.

The person I actually feel bad for is the kid...nate miles, who had looked up to these coaches and probably was looking for a chance to turn his life around and never got that chance....given violating a restraining order is pretty bad....

It's also like Sideshow Bob asking if they award Nobel Prizes for "attempted chemistry."

SuperTurkey
02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
It's also like Sideshow Bob asking if they award Nobel Prizes for "attempted chemistry."

Or Homer asking whether he's been awarded a Nobel Prize for "what? my whole deal?"

tylervinyard
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Well if unc were to sign Drummond then that makes them even less likely to sign Parker. Of course Parker could go to Ohio State or somewhere else and Duke misses out on both but I prefer to look at the positive outcomes.

When you put it that way, let Drummond go to UNC. I'd much rather have Parker.

thenameisbond
02-22-2011, 02:24 PM
My prediction for the penalty Calhoun will receive:

NCAA GIVES CALHOUN 50 LASHES (w/ a wet noodle)

SMO
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Looks like the NCAA kicked some arse and broke some hearts...sort of.

Bluedog
02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like the NCAA kicked some arse and broke some hearts...sort of.

That's honestly a lot more than I expected. I thought it was just going to be an admonishing from the NCAA. I don't think the reduction of 13 to 12 scholarships will be a big deal, but I don't know UConn's numbers that closely over the next few years. At least Calhoun has to sit a few games. Seems fair enough, I guess.

dchen09
02-22-2011, 03:45 PM
3 games for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance... I don't know. That sounds pretty lenient. And 13-12 scholarships in the long run isn't a big deal considering most schools never get out 13 scholarships. The people who suffer the most are probably the practice players who usually get the extra scholarships.

weezie
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Or Homer asking whether he's been awarded a Nobel Prize for "what? my whole deal?"

OK, seriously, seriously funny. Well done.;)

BleedsP287
02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I didn't know what a "show cause" penalty was so I looked it up on my Google machine. Apparently, it amounts to a ban on participation in college athletics for the person penalized (in this case 2 years for Beau Archibald). Essentially, any school wanting to hire Archibald in that time frame would be required to appear before the NCAA infraction committee and would possibly be sanctioned. Seems appropriate to me.

SoCalDukeFan
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
It seems to me that the punishment is light.

This whole case is hard for me to believe. As I understand it, Calhoun got into trouble trying to recruit Miles back to UConn. Miles was successfully recruited to UConn, then expelled for violating a restraining order. Then Calhoun tried to recruit him back.

Shows you how low some coaches will got to try to win.

SoCal

uh_no
02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
= Then Calhoun tried to recruit him back.

SoCal

I don't recall that ever happening.

Story: miles had a tough upbringing and went to like 5 high schools before he was able to get ineligible. When he got to uconn (after all the calls and violations and texts) his girlfriend got a restraining order against him, he then called her to find out why (idddiottttt) and that was it...he was charged and then expelled....calhoun defended him in front of whatever university conduct board to no avail, do I think the punishment on the kid was too harsh? probably, but it also prevented us from having to vacate a final four. either way, I'm not sure what any 'recruiting' could be done at this time....miles was expelled, so any further relationship would be completely non-basketball related....

so calhoun made violations, he got smacked with a penalty (kelvin sampson was not suspended despite almost identically similar infractions) and all he has to do is schedule his yearly medical leave of absence during the first 3 big east games! in terms of scholarships, they haven't had a full load in several years, and have in fact had trouble having recruits sign recently

It is what it is. At least the guy doesn't bail when the NCAA puts the school on probation....he doesn't run and lie to the NCAA....I know people here will hate him, but he's meant a whole lot to the state of connecticut over the past 25 years

-bdbd
02-22-2011, 04:39 PM

That is only true if you restrict your field of view to this individual incident. But I think that the "crime pays" statement is more in reference to UCONN's (and Calhoun's) generally cavalier attitude towards following the rules over time. This clearly was not the first questionable incident.

It is like a petty criminal getting away with a dozen burglaries, but getting caught while planning number 13. He then gets a suspended sentence conviction. So, yeah, you could say that it didn't pay b/c he didn't get the goods on burglary #13, BUT he certainly was not taught a (crime doesn't pay) lesson over the whole course of (13) events, which one stiff punishment could have done.

If the NCAA isn't willing to make the punishments really hurt when they DO have the guilty parties dead to rights, then there will not be any disincentive for them to change their behaviors over time.

We can only hope the image tarnishing brings 'cost' with it as well. Hasn't hurt Calipari yet though...

uh_no
02-22-2011, 04:46 PM
This clearly was not the first questionable incident.

There was 1 other incident in 1996 when the NCAA vacated Uconn's final 4 run because a player recieved a plane ticket as a gift. They also ruled that the school and coaches did not know of the violation. If you know of any other 'questionable incidents,' I'd love you to bring them to light.

Spam Filter
02-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'll get it started.

Marcus Williams stealing the laptops of his fellow students, but somehow allowed to remain on the team.

-bdbd
02-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Ok, I'll get it started.

Marcus Williams stealing the laptops of his fellow students, but somehow allowed to remain on the team.

Well, to be fair, he did have to miss a game or two in Nov. (against the likes of Quinipeac College or SUNY-Buffalo).... :rolleyes:

uh_no
02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Ok, I'll get it started.

and what about that is an NCAA violation? the kid sat out a semester because that was the sanction the school imposed. If you want tos say calhoun should have kicked him off the team? fine. Many coaches would, many coaches wouldn't. If you say "oh he only does things to win" fine, but don't pretend that anything he did in this case violated any rules

BD80
02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
There was 1 other incident in 1996 when the NCAA vacated Uconn's final 4 run because a player recieved a plane ticket as a gift. They also ruled that the school and coaches did not know of the violation. If you know of any other 'questionable incidents,' I'd love you to bring them to light.

Paying AAU coaches tens (hundreds?) of thousands of $ for pre-season scrimmages between uCon and AAU teams which had a targeted recruit. Success rate in recruits committing to uCon? 100% Practice quickly expressly outlawed by NCAA.

I can't belive ANYONE can defend this practice with a straight face. Paying a coach so much money soley because a recruited player is on his team just smacks of improper benefits.

uCon really doesn't like any light shed on this practice. Despite of its status as a state institution, I believe they were able to keep the payoffs to coaches "confidential,"

WiJoe
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Another crap penalty, and yes, A SLAP ON THE WRIST.

These penalties need to be given out so they START with the NCAA tournament. If you are suspended for three games and lose your first NCAA tournament game, it carries over to next year. If you lose in the first round, too bad, so sad, it carries over AGAIN. It also follows the coach if he leaves.

The same should hold true for suspensions of players.

This sanction is toothless (like most nc fans).

-bdbd
02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
and what about that is an NCAA violation? the kid sat out a semester because that was the sanction the school imposed. If you want tos say calhoun should have kicked him off the team? fine. Many coaches would, many coaches wouldn't. If you say "oh he only does things to win" fine, but don't pretend that anything he did in this case violated any rules

Ok, I'll get it started.

Then there was the $22K payoff to Rudy Gay's AAU coach which "contributed" to Gay's sudden change of heart towards CT.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2009/3/26/811593/the-uconn-recruiting-viola (I have seen many other descriptions of the Gay AAU recruitment/payout, as well as the Majok stuff, but this was the quickest I could find...)
"First was Rudy Gay. Gay, a five star, top 10 kind of player out of HS, was very high on Maryland both early and late in the process. He would've been a huge get for the program. A lot of signs were pointing to Maryland actually nabbing him. But then, Calhoun organized a "scrimmage" of the Huskies against an AAU team made up mostly of former college and JUCO players. Calhoun paid $22,000 to the Cecil Kirk Athletic Council, who "owned" that team. They also owned Gay's AAU team. Days later, Gay committed to UConn. Coincidence? Fat chance." Certainly this was 'nipping around the edges', differentiating between what was technically/barely legal (at least not indictable) and what was ethical.

Then there was the Majok stuff. Again, nothing ever proven, but still fair to refer to it as a rules "incident."

Of course the whole laptops thefts and resale debacle already mentioned. (And the "punishment" - I think he literally missed about 6 early-season laugher games and little or no practice - was widely howled at throughout college BB circles.)

Somewhere in there I recall some questionable academic "issues" with some players as well.... And his grad rates have generally been very low (I found one UCONN website from a couple years back claimming 27% grad rate, less for African Americans).

Look, the dude has 2 NC's, is in the Hall of Fame. There's enough there for UCON fans to be proud of. But just don't expect that he'll ever be held up as a paragon of recruiting, academic, moral integrity - if there is such a thing - in college coaching circles... People see smoke enough separate times that they don't need to see all the fires to know what the environment is like there.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, to be fair, he did have to miss a game or two in Nov. (against the likes of Quinipeac College or SUNY-Buffalo)....

He missed the whole of the Maui tournament, which Uconn won anyway, and further missed the entirety of the semester. Do I think missing some of the big east season would be more appropriate? probably, but it didn't violate the rules

speaking to the Rudy Gay incident, the rules were changed after the incident to prevent it in the future....was it a gray area? yup, was it illegal at the time? nope

Somewhere in there I recall some questionable academic "issues" with some players as well.... And his grad rates have generally been very low (I found one UCONN website from a couple years back claimming 27% grad rate, less for African Americans). and gary williams had a 0% graduation rate....many schools have much lower rates than does Uconn, Uconn also had emeka okafor, and now Kemba Walker, Both amazing players and both with degrees after 3 years of college....given Uconn is no Duke, but that is still an incredible feat and deserves much praise. If you want to say coaches should put more focus on academics is fine, but to suggest any lack of emphasis suggests a rules violation is silly....unless you intend to implicate someone like gary williams along with just about every football coach in D-1, you should leave this point at home. We are so amazingly lucky to be here at duke where academic success is not only encouraged but expected, but I think that is not really the norm

Look, the dude has 2 NC's, is in the Hall of Fame. There's enough there for UCON fans to be proud of. But just don't expect that he'll ever be held up as a paragon of recruiting, academic, moral integrity - if there is such a thing - in college coaching circles... People see smoke enough separate times that they don't need to see all the fires to know what the environment is like there.
I don't disagree. i just need to look out the window over at the schwartz butters building to see what the paragon of integrity is. I think you just need to look at the recent situation with coombs mcdaniels to see how this program is run....Calhoun doesn't care about character, and I think part of that is because despite their success, its still uconn...great players want to go to duke and UNC....which is why you see calhoun dipping into more troubled kids, ovverseas kids (starting with thabeet, then majok, and now we have two german kids on the team), and issues like the marcus williams issue are bound to happen when you recruit those kids. Its the same thing that happens with calipari and the SAT scores....calhoun and calipari are very similar in their want to do anything to win......the difference is that when the going gets tough, calipari bolts, calhoun has been at uconn for 26 years, now through 2 sactions....how easy would it have been for him to bail after the final four run when the sanctions were coming? when he wasn't getting recruits? when he was having health issues? calipari would have been at a beach house somewhere....(ole roy would have been sleeping....but that's beside the point) calhoun has been loyal to the state and school, and has been great for the state as a whole.....most people wouldn't know where connecticut is if it weren't for uconn basketball (m+w)

would i rather calhoun be able to recruit kids like scheyer and singler and win? sure. Do we have our share of good kids? yes. do we have our share of bad kids? certainly. i'll take a loyal calhoun over a disloyal guy who will bolt in a couple years any day.

Orange&BlackSheep
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM

I presume by not violating any rules you are excluding the rules of decency and sticking to NCAA rules. Listen, I grew up privileged (by which I mean financially not my status as a son of a Duke grad). So I have no idea what it feels like to be Marcus Williams whom I presume to have grown up in a more financially challenged environment. I respect the notion that infractions can be opportunities to be teachable moments and that throwing the baby out with the bath water may not be what is best for the baby in the long run. With all that said, they stole laptops from their fellow students and tried to sell them. They stole items critical to the academic lives of those students and thought not one time about the (minimally) horrible inconvenience they were causing. Essays, notes, photographs, e-mails ... gone. And the public response from Calhoun in my opinion did not reflect that of someone mortally offended by the actions of his team, his basketball family. At least that was my conclusion from watching it all unfold. The fact that the lesser skilled player ended up with a full year vacation was just the cherry on top. That may have reflected the different levels of culpability of the perpetrators. I of course am too far away from the story to conclude anything, but it is hard not be a bit bemused by it.

I thought of U Conn as a rising basketball power to be admired up until the mid-90's. Then began the slow demise of the bloom on that rose. They became the rule-bending, win-seeking team that I wanted to beat. But this incident with the laptops changed forever the way that I view Calhoun and his legacy.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
The fact that the lesser skilled player ended up with a full year vacation was just the cherry on top.

That 'lesser skilled player' was AJ Price....who also happened to lead the team to the final four in his senior year....Its a slight bending of the facts that he was lesser skilled.....he was also recovering from a brain aneurism (sp) so he was likely sitting out the season anyway....but to pretend that calhoun was screwing the guy cuz he wasn't any good is ridiculous. If he had been healthy, AJ would have likely been back that year as well....probably could have helped them a bit against george mason....

Orange&BlackSheep
02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
That 'lesser skilled player' was AJ Price....who also happened to lead the team to the final four in his senior year....Its a slight bending of the facts that he was lesser skilled.....he was also recovering from a brain aneurism (sp) so he was likely sitting out the season anyway....but to pretend that calhoun was screwing the guy cuz he wasn't any good is ridiculous. If he had been healthy, AJ would have likely been back that year as well....probably could have helped them a bit against george mason....

I did not pick up anything about his health issues along the way so I am not sure how that all factors into the equation. I am not sure what that has to do with the punishment unless you feel that they made it a full year suspension to look better to the outside world since he was going to be incapacitated anyway.

It was very clear at the time that the person who was going to help the team that year (as starting point guard) was suspended for a semester and that the player who was not was suspended for a full year. If you are telling me that AJ Price was better than or equal in ability to Marcus Williams at the time of the suspensions, then I clearly am remembering incorrectly.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
I did not pick up anything about his health issues along the way so I am not sure how that all factors into the equation. I am not sure what that has to do with the punishment unless you feel that they made it a full year suspension to look better to the outside world since he was going to be incapacitated anyway.

It was very clear at the time that the person who was going to help the team that year (as starting point guard) was suspended for a semester and that the player who was not was suspended for a full year. If you are telling me that AJ Price was better than or equal in ability to Marcus Williams at the time of the suspensions, then I clearly am remembering incorrectly.

AJ price had almost died from an anuerism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._J._Price he was not cleared to play until after the season during which he was suspended. There is no doubt that he was a very good player, and undoubtedly would have helped the team had he been able to play, and likely would have played in the spring had he been healthy

BD80
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
... speaking to the Rudy Gay incident, the rules were changed after the incident to prevent it in the future....was it a gray area? yup, was it illegal at the time? nope

and gary williams had a 0% graduation rate....many schools have much lower rates than does Uconn, Uconn also had emeka okafor, and now Kemba Walker, Both amazing players and both with degrees after 3 years of college....given Uconn is no Duke, but that is still an incredible feat and deserves much praise. If you want to say coaches should put more focus on academics is fine, but to suggest any lack of emphasis suggests a rules violation is silly....unless you intend to implicate someone like gary williams along with just about every football coach in D-1, you should leave this point at home. We are so amazingly lucky to be here at duke where academic success is not only encouraged but expected, but I think that is not really the norm

I don't disagree. i just need to look out the window over at the schwartz butters building to see what the paragon of integrity is. I think you just need to look at the recent situation with coombs mcdaniels to see how this program is run....Calhoun doesn't care about character, and I think part of that is because despite their success, its still uconn...great players want to go to duke and UNC....which is why you see calhoun dipping into more troubled kids, overseas kids (starting with thabeet, then majok, and now we have two german kids on the team), and issues like the marcus williams issue are bound to happen when you recruit those kids. Its the same thing that happens with calipari and the SAT scores....calhoun and calipari are very similar in their want to do anything to win......the difference is that when the going gets tough, calipari bolts, calhoun has been at uconn for 26 years, now through 2 sactions....how easy would it have been for him to bail after the final four run when the sanctions were coming? when he wasn't getting recruits? when he was having health issues? calipari would have been at a beach house somewhere....(ole roy would have been sleeping....but that's beside the point) calhoun has been loyal to the state and school, and has been great for the state as a whole.....most people wouldn't know where connecticut is if it weren't for uconn basketball (m+w)

would i rather calhoun be able to recruit kids like scheyer and singler and win? sure. Do we have our share of good kids? yes. do we have our share of bad kids? certainly. i'll take a loyal calhoun over a disloyal guy who will bolt in a couple years any day.

This is perhaps the most fair and honest defense of Calhoun I have come across. It does not convince me to respect Calhoun in the least, but I do respect defense counsel's efforts!

I really do think the payoffs to the AAU coaches were illegal, who can honestly say there was no expectation that the recruits would receive some of the largess?

I am impressed that Kemba Walker will graduate in three years. He has really developed as a player as well. I thought I recalled that there was an issue with his recruitment as well. It is pleasing to see success stories.

uh_no
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/23872/more-than-just-three-games-for-jim-calhoun

I don't think network news could have spun this into a more positive light.....

WiJoe
02-22-2011, 08:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/blog/CollegeBasketballNation/post/_/id/23872/more-than-just-three-games-for-jim-calhoun

I don't think network news could have spun this into a more positive light.....

Of course not. CONn is ESPN's home team. And espn is VERY nice to the state u of con.

Surprised his nose didn't break a window 10,000 miles away after this beauty: “I may be a lot of things, profane, but that word [cheater] I’m not,’’ Calhoun said then. “I’m a lot of things. You can like or dislike me, but that I’m not.’’

JasonEvans
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM

So those are our choices? A cheater who leaves versus a cheater who sticks around? Ummm, pardon me if I think there might be other options available.

Calhoun has been a push the envelope of integrity guy for many, many years. Personally, I am eternally glad he is not the coach of a team I care about. He may be successful, but he has shown time and time again that winning is more important to him than ethics. The examples are numerous and have been cited over and over again in this thread. Frankly, I think we should all aspire for more than that.

The really sad part is that Calhoun and UConn are among the elite of college hoops. This is a guy who has the legacy and reputation to recruit against the likes of Duke, Kansas, UNC, and the other big boys. He is one of the big boys! He should not need to cheat and cut corners and the such. Instead, he finds way to funnel money to people close to recruits and doles out punishments that are convenient to his win percentage. Sad... so sad.

Lastly, regarding the NCAA's penalties, I really wish they had been harsher. The NCAA needs to start sending messages to schools about the seriousness of cheating. Jim Calhoun failed to foster and atmosphere of compliance. Think about what that means! The implication is that Calhoun made it clear to his staff that getting stud recruits was more important than following the rules. To me, that is an extremely serious violation, probably the worst you can commit short of handing a kid a bag full of money.

And for this, the NCAA takes away 1 scholarship that Calhoun would never bother to use anyway and suspends him from being on the sidelines for a few games. Puh-lease!!!

Want to punish UConn? Take away 3 scholarships for 3 years. Force Calhoun to not step foot on the UConn campus for a month. Ban the team from appearing on TV... and TV... for a few weeks. Restrict Calhoun and his staff from off-campus recruiting for a while.

-Jason "make it hurt, NCAA!" Evans

uh_no
02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
So those are our choices? A cheater who leaves versus a cheater who sticks around? Ummm, pardon me if I think there might be other options available. Obviously. I was making the point that his loyalty is valued more than his indiscretions can hurt.

Frankly, I think we should all aspire for more than that. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we should aspire do be ethically unsound. Anyone who went to Duke knows of the 'Duke Honor Code,' I don't think anyone here, alumnus or not would aspire to violate it.

The implication is that Calhoun made it clear to his staff that getting stud recruits was more important than following the rules. That is simply not true. The NCAA made it clear in their statements that simply being unaware of misdeeds is enough for a 'failure to create an atmosphere of compliance' citation. Nowhere do they say that Calhoun encouraged his coaches to violate the rules (whether he did or not)

The head coach should be aware, but, also in the same frame, the head coach obviously cannot be aware of everything that goes on within the program. However, the head coach bears that responsibility.

They are quite clear that the punishment is based on this fact, not that he went to coaches and told them to violate the rules. (while it is likely that he did do that, its nearly impossible to prove)

And for this, the NCAA takes away 1 scholarship that Calhoun would never bother to use anyway and suspends him from being on the sidelines for a few games.
Want to punish UConn? Take away 3 scholarships for 3 years. Force Calhoun to not step foot on the UConn campus for a month. Ban the team from appearing on TV... and TV... for a few weeks. Restrict Calhoun and his staff from off-campus recruiting for a while.
Why don't we just give them the death penalty! What you're suggesting is completely unprecedented. The penalty has sent a message, which is what it's intended to do....without the suspension its a slap on the wrist, but what coach in their right mind would risk suspension in the future for a few (thousand) text messages? Anything beyond the point of deterrent in this case is unwarranted and simply hurts the student athletes and the school unnecessarily. I know you all hate UCONN, and will always refuse to see this situation as fair punishment, but most of the pundits seem to agree that uconn was punished about what it should have been.

People here will make out the violations to be end of the world bad (especially since it's uconn....was there all this hubub calling for tennesse to lose 3 scholarships a few months ago? and that guy LIED to the NCAA....) here it is from the NCAA's perspective

This is something that a head coach should know about and ensure that everyone is in compliance, and that didn’t happen. … This situation specifically dealt with issues the head coach should have known about.

That's it. You can disagree that the punishment fits the crime.

BD80
02-22-2011, 11:00 PM
... Want to punish UConn? .... Restrict Calhoun and his staff from off-campus recruiting for a while.

-Jason "make it hurt, NCAA!" Evans

They kinda did ...

"The program is banned from recruiting calls during the 2011-12 academic year until 30 days after the first day that phone calls are allowed. The number of men's basketball coaches allowed to make phone calls was cut from three to two, not including the head basketball coach, for six months after the university's response to the notice of allegations.

UConn also faces a reduction of the number of men's basketball off-campus recruiting days by 40, from 130 to 90, for the 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 recruiting periods."

Of course, compliance isn't calhoun's strong suit ...

uh_no
02-22-2011, 11:11 PM
They kinda did ...

"The program is banned from recruiting calls during the 2011-12 academic year until 30 days after the first day that phone calls are allowed. The number of men's basketball coaches allowed to make phone calls was cut from three to two, not including the head basketball coach, for six months after the university's response to the notice of allegations.

UConn also faces a reduction of the number of men's basketball off-campus recruiting days by 40, from 130 to 90, for the 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2012-13 recruiting periods."

Of course, compliance isn't calhoun's strong suit ...

While this are all inconvenient, they are really inconsequential. Also of note, they are limited to 5 paid official on campus visits per year.

WiJoe
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
These penalties need to be given out so they START with the NCAA tournament. If you are suspended for three games and lose your first NCAA tournament game, it carries over to next year. If you lose in the first round, too bad, so sad, it carries over AGAIN. It also follows the coach if he leaves.

The SAME should hold true for suspensions of players.

JasonEvans
02-23-2011, 12:03 AM
People here will make out the violations to be end of the world bad (especially since it's uconn....was there all this hubub calling for tennesse to lose 3 scholarships a few months ago? and that guy LIED to the NCAA....)

For what it is worth, many of us did express outrage (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?22232-Rockier-Top) over Tennessee and Bruce Pearl's cheating. I commented that I was especially pleased at Pearl being forced to give back $1.5 million of his salary as punishment. I felt that if you hit coaches HARD in the wallet, it might make them think twice about breaking the rules.

Of course, no such similar action was taken against Calhoun because the subject of his salary (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3931894) is sorta out of bounds for anyone to talk about, right?

I must say, uh_no, that I admire your zeal and passion for defending Calhoun and UConn. There is little question that you know more about the case and have thought about the implications of it far more than I have. My laundry list of punishments were probably too stiff (I was not suggesting that all of them be put in place). Then again, I am of the belief that until the NCAA starts handing out harsher and harsher punishments -- punishments that seem to hurt a lot more than the current wrist slaps do -- they are only inviting schools to continue to cheat.

And one more thing, I was again taken aback by one of your statements...

I was making the point that his loyalty is valued more than his indiscretions can hurt.

I am sorry, but I am really bothered by such an attitude. It truly sounds like you are giving Calhoun an open invitation to cheat and "win at all costs" so long as he remains loyal to the school. I would imagine that you are not alone in this view. So, there may be a large number of UConn fans who fell this is no big deal and that Jimmy C has earned the right to some mistakes and rules violations because of his long winning tradition at UConn.

Well, as far as I am concerned, that almost makes you an accomplice. That may seem harsh and I need to find a different word other than accomplice, but I think you get my meaning. Regardless, my point is that the failure of UConn fans to shout with outrage at their coach only invites more and more unethical behavior. Where is the incentive for Calhoun to act honestly? Sad...

I don't mean to sound too harsh. Again, I respect your passionate defense. My anger is directed at Jim Calhoun, a man who has made a career out of pushing the ethical envelope and who, to this day, refuses to admit that he did anything wrong.

--Jason "as an aside, if I was running UTenn or UConn, both Calhoun and Pearl would have been fired with cause in a heartbeat" Evans

uh_no
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I am sorry, but I am really bothered by such an attitude. It truly sounds like you are giving Calhoun an open invitation to cheat and "win at all costs" so long as he remains loyal to the school. I would imagine that you are not alone in this view. So, there may be a large number of UConn fans who fell this is no big deal and that Jimmy C has earned the right to some mistakes and rules violations because of his long winning tradition at UConn. No, I don't think this is really my attitude at all. I think he's a moron for cheating, and I really don't want to have to defend him. We all are priveledged here to have K as our coach. Up in connecticut we make do with what we've got...a guy who cheats but is loyal. out of respect of this, the fans will be out there cheering for the team wearing shirts with his face on it. Does that mean that fans won't also say "you dope why don't you just play fair?" Nope. As I said, I think he's an idiot, but he's the coach we've got and he's done a lot for us. I guess my point boiled down is "yeah he's bad, but at least he shows loyalty....which calipari fails to show"

The failure of UConn fans to shout with outrage at their coach only invites more and more unethical behavior. Where is the incentive for Calhoun to act honestly? Sad... I can't find an article at the moment that shows either position, but as I have spoken to several people in Connecticut...both residents and students, most feel that he's a dope for getting himself into this position. You'll never see this in any of the papers in CT though, cuz any bad press = no access...

My anger is directed at Jim Calhoun, a man who has made a career out of pushing the ethical envelope and who, to this day, refuses to admit that he did anything wrong.

I think the right thing for him to do is to come up and say "I did wrong and I accept my punishment" a la bruce pearl. Right now the university/calhoun are disputing a couple of the facts which are in the decision, which is fine, but I think he should come out and say "I am willing to accept whatever punishment the NCAA has in store for me, but I want to make sure they are making their decision on facts, and we want to clear up some inaccuracies." Calhoun is probably too proud to ever do that....I hate it, people I know hate it, and it is what it is.

Chitowndevil
02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Regardless of whether the penalty was deserved, I just hate the way they do this. Most NCAA sanctions fall under the umbrella "failure to promote". Who exactly judges this, and what is the criteria? Imagine if the SEC said, you know, we're not going to bother investigating insider trading cases, we'll just issue some rather random sanctions for "failing to promote an honest corporate environment". As an economist this makes me shudder: who regulates the regulators? Why not have a clearer system of rules with explicit penalties, or at least sentencing guidelines, for when those rules are violated?

-jk
02-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Regardless of whether the penalty was deserved, I just hate the way they do this. Most NCAA sanctions fall under the umbrella "failure to promote". Who exactly judges this, and what is the criteria? Imagine if the SEC said, you know, we're not going to bother investigating insider trading cases, we'll just issue some rather random sanctions for "failing to promote an honest corporate environment". As an economist this makes me shudder: who regulates the regulators? Why not have a clearer system of rules with explicit penalties, or at least sentencing guidelines, for when those rules are violated?

Unlike the gummint, the ncaa has no subpoena powers. Puts them way behind any half-clever and ethically challenged coaches.

-jk

El_Diablo
02-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Unlike the gummint, the ncaa has no subpoena powers. Puts them way behind any half-clever and ethically challenged coaches.

-jk

Exactly. The best the NCAA can do is rely on circumstantial evidence like this and punish for the general lack of compliance rather than find a smoking gun. They can't really force the school to disclose all emails between Calhoun and his assistant coaches (to look for improprieties), or force the coaches to testify, or to have them testify honestly. They can't bug Calhoun's office to collect evidence. Even when the NCAA latches on to a scandal like this, the ability to shield information from the NCAA gives the school much greater leeway than they would with federal/state authorities. The school can basically just say "here's all the info we have" and thus the NCAA often has to base punishment on negative implications rather than an affirmative showing of intentional wrongdoing.

JasonEvans
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Yahoo's College Hoops Blog makes some of the same points I have been trying (poorly) to make in this column (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/NCAA-misses-opportunity-to-use-UConn-ruling-as-a;_ylt=AtW4qTI.tCMbdHG9.gX7OMXevbYF?urn=ncaab-324961).

Since it's so difficult for the short-staffed NCAA to prove that a program is associating with agents or enticing recruits with extra benefits, the only recourse it has is to send a harsh message whenever they do catch a coach breaking the rules.

That's why it's disappointing that the NCAA failed to hand out a stiff enough penalty to UConn on Tuesday to serve as an effective deterrent.

The column calls the punishments merely a slap on the wrist and points out that the penalties do nothing to affect the longterm success of the UConn program.

Asked whether he feared that Calhoun's punishment was not a sufficient deterrent to other coaches not to associate with agents, (the chairman of the committee on infractions) said it was not the goal of the infractions committee to send messages.

Why not?!?!!? What is the point of punishments unless to serve as a deterrent?!?! The NCAA investigators are undermanned, underfunded, and have very few true investigative powers (as mentioned by other posters above). They simply cannot police everyone. So, when they do actually catch someone, they need to send a message to other potential cheaters. How can the committee be so obtuse, so naive, so toothless?

Sigh.

I think a lot of the problem here is money. It is just not in the interest of the NCAA to punish high profile programs. The heavyweight programs with huge national followings generate big TV ratings and publicity and are the reason the NCAA makes big money.

Sure, there are always other programs waiting to take the place of the giants when those giants fall, but you cannot tell me that the Big East is not better off with a strong UConn basketball program. You cannot tell me that the ACC is not better off with a strong UNC football program. Is it really in the best interests of these conferences for some of their marquis programs to be banned from TV or post-season play or to have scholarships taken away? I think not.

Sigh (again). This whole damn system is really frustrating sometimes.

-Jason "I think all of this bodes very well for UNC football getting a slap on the wrist too" Evans

BD80
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
How much of this will be a recruiting boon for uCon?

The mantra will be that uCon does whatever it takes to help its players, despite what the NCAA rules "allow." Calhoun doesn't "cheat," he just places his players welfare above some silly nonsensical rules that are intended to stop real cheaters, not Calhoun.

Recruits think. wow, if he'll take a 3 game suspension to take care of his players, I'm sure he'll take care of me!

uh_no
02-23-2011, 02:54 PM
How much of this will be a recruiting boon for uCon?

The mantra will be that uCon does whatever it takes to help its players, despite what the NCAA rules "allow." Calhoun doesn't "cheat," he just places his players welfare above some silly nonsensical rules that are intended to stop real cheaters, not Calhoun.

Recruits think. wow, if he'll take a 3 game suspension to take care of his players, I'm sure he'll take care of me!

They signed 0 of their goal players in the last period....had to go with a couple foreign guys to fill out the roster....don't think it has really been a 'boon' for uconn in terms of recruiting. If I were a top player, calhoun's health and ability to sign other recruits would be my biggest hangups...and perhaps having to deal with the other guys on the team, who often times seem to be thugs. (not fair I know, but guys like sticks robinson and jamal coombs mcdaniels don't seem to be the guys I'd want to be friends with, and I don't think that's conducive to a good team (as opposed to what we see on the duke team...who WOULDN"T want to roll with those guys

uh_no
02-23-2011, 03:01 PM
and just so we can laugh at uconn in general

http://www.dailycampus.com/commentary/editorial-student-section-needs-more-sportsmanship-1.2011403

Duvall
04-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Jim Calhoun, leader of men (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02uconn.html?_r=1).

roywhite
04-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Jim Calhoun, leader of men (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02uconn.html?_r=1).

Whoa. From the article:

When read a series of Calhoun’s statements to the N.C.A.A., including whether Calhoun and the Connecticut assistant Tom Moore warned Miles not to take gifts from Nochimson, Miles responded “lie” after each of them. That included whether Calhoun called Miles in March 2007 to caution Miles about Nochimson. “Lie,” Miles said.

Miles said Calhoun raised the subject of Nochimson with him only once, a few weeks after arriving at Connecticut and after Miles had received thousands of dollars worth of extra benefits. “He told me, like, he didn’t want me dealing with him anymore,” Miles said.

When asked if Calhoun was aware that Nochimson provided cash, clothes and food, and had paid for toe surgery for Miles, Miles said, “He knew.”

uh_no
04-01-2011, 11:44 PM
The NCAA obviously sided with Nate's side of the story here.

What's sad here, I think, is that Nate was a kid that could have been greatly helped by college basketball (whether at Uconn or elsewhere). He lacked authority growing up and I think a college basketball environment could have helped. I have no doubt in my mind that Calhoun recruiting Nate because he felt he could guide Nate and because Nate could help the team win. Nate represents the kind of kid that K probably wouldn't touch. I don't hold this against K...nate probably doesn't have the character that would have succeeded in the Duke program. I think its a shame that the transgressions of the Uconn program (as well as a simple phone call from nate to his ex) took him down from touted prospect to homeless.

Damn shame. While I applaud Calhoun for taking a shot at helping out kids like this (obviously to his own benefit as well) I must condemn him on the other for the actions he took (or at least didn't prohibit) which secured his recruitment.

I hope with all my heart that this kid gets another shot somehow. For all his transgressions, he certainly ended up with a raw deal.

uh_no
04-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Continuing: after talking to some Uconn students, the general consensus is that after Nate lost out on basketball, he came back at CT in a fame/money ploy. Now, neither party has much credibility in this case (i'm not usre I'd trust miles or calhoun with 100$ at this point), but Nate has a lot less to lose at this point (nothing) by lying to the NCAA. The stories note that he refused to talk to the NCAA about Uconn during the investigation, but now that he is homeless and about as low as you can go, is suddenly telling the NCAA calhoun lied about everything.

I think he is out for revenge now that the basketball thing didn't work out.

Either way, I'm not sure how much Nate's word is worth here (or how much Calhoun's is worth for that matter).

As far as I'm concerned, the NCAA has ruled on the matter. Regardless of the outcome, Uconn will not have games vacated as Miles never played.

That said, I hope Calhoun stays next year (win or lose the championship...hopefully win ) if only so that he can sit his suspension. i know cal is getting old. I hope he takes his medicine, sits his suspension, and eventually retires. The stain from this scandal will hopefully pass, and we (uconn fans) can remember how Calhoun started this program. I also hope that they can get someone good to coach afterwards, and I personally am cheering for Kevin Ollie, on whom a magnificent piece was written lately by espn.

I wish I knew what REALLY happened 3 years ago, but i don't think we'll ever get the whole story (or anything close) from either Calhoun or Nate.

I hope Nate can figure his life out and that Uconn can beat UK later today.

Go Huskies!!!

PS: can kemba and maya make some super babies to allow uconn to dominate the big east for the next 50 years????? perhaps some Duke Uconn classics in the finals???

Go Duke! Go Uconn!

SoCalDukeFan
04-02-2011, 12:50 AM
The NCAA obviously sided with Nate's side of the story here.

What's sad here, I think, is that Nate was a kid that could have been greatly helped by college basketball (whether at Uconn or elsewhere). He lacked authority growing up and I think a college basketball environment could have helped. I have no doubt in my mind that Calhoun recruiting Nate because he felt he could guide Nate and because Nate could help the team win. Nate represents the kind of kid that K probably wouldn't touch. I don't hold this against K...nate probably doesn't have the character that would have succeeded in the Duke program. I think its a shame that the transgressions of the Uconn program (as well as a simple phone call from nate to his ex) took him down from touted prospect to homeless.

Damn shame. While I applaud Calhoun for taking a shot at helping out kids like this (obviously to his own benefit as well) I must condemn him on the other for the actions he took (or at least didn't prohibit) which secured his recruitment.

I hope with all my heart that this kid gets another shot somehow. For all his transgressions, he certainly ended up with a raw deal.

I have no doubt in my mind that Calhoun recruited Nate because he thought he was a great talent and the risk was worth it.

Let suppose Nate never made the simple phone call. How much longer before he did something else? This is a guy who was kicked out of three high schools? Why was he fired from the Premiere League team?

I personally think that Calhoun is too smart to cheat but does not try very hard to find out if cheating is going on. There is a reason why people got fired at UConn over this. Cheating is going on all around Calhoun.

I do sorry for Nate Miles. Evidently he was blessed with great talent but a horrible life situation. Maybe none of us could have risen from it. However he seems to have some real problems. You would think that after being thrown out of two high schools you would have your act cleaned up at the third. I am not a psychologist or anything but I think Miles needs professional help before he get another chance. Maybe someone connected with UConn will get if for him.

SoCal

Richard Berg
04-02-2011, 12:58 AM
PS: can kemba and maya make some super babies to allow uconn to dominate the big east for the next 50 years????? perhaps some Duke Uconn classics in the finals???
Sure, as long as they play against the Shelden-Candace babies in said finals. And lose.

fgb
04-02-2011, 01:18 AM
certainly. i'll take a loyal calhoun over a disloyal guy who will bolt in a couple years any day.

i'm glad that sentiment isn't shared down in durham. duke would have fired him a long time ago.

fgb
04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
i guess a better way of saying it is, while i'm not sure that it's true that we'd never take a player of questionable character, i know we'd never take a coach of questionable character.

uh_no
04-02-2011, 02:09 AM
i'm glad that sentiment isn't shared down in durham. duke would have fired him a long time ago.

No doubt. I'm both blessed and cursed to have grown up in CT, where we have a shady coach with success.

To the guy who said that Calhoun might not have known what was going on around him? Calhoun knew what was going on around him. He thought the risk was worth it to both help the kid and to get a guy to help the team (who knows...nate might have pushed them to vicotry over MSU towards a national championship...)

El_Diablo
04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
help the kid

I'm not really sure why you keep using this phrase.

Offering the kid a scholarship would be "helping the kid." Everything else in contravention to the rules was done with a desire to sway him to UConn over another school that would have helped him out just as UConn would have. But in breaking the rules, Calhoun gambled big time with the kid's future, and he made him ineligible. This didn't help him at all, as the article demonstrates. What Calhoun did was not out of charity; it was selfishness.

uh_no
04-02-2011, 09:12 AM

Offering the kid a scholarship would be "helping the kid." Everything else in contravention to the rules was done with a desire to sway him to UConn over another school that would have helped him out just as UConn would have. But in breaking the rules, Calhoun gambled big time with the kid's future, and he made him ineligible. This didn't help him at all, as the article demonstrates. What Calhoun did was not out of charity; it was selfishness.

As far as I know, Nate's eligibility was never ruled on.

tendev
04-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Miles was not ruled ineligible. According to the NY Times he got kicked out of college for violating a restraining order.

I encourage everyone to read the article linked on the main part of the board. Sadly, Miles' only ticket to college was his ability to play basketball. While it is wonderful that basketball gave Miles a chance to go to college and have a better life, he apparently was not at all qualified to be a college student. That other schools, including UConn, would have recruited him is an indictment of the entire system.

SoCalDukeFan
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM

that I know, if Calhoun was found to have helped an excellent basketball player who was also a convicted mass murderer escape from prison then get him plastic surgery as a disguise, then they would say "Jim was just trying to help the kid."

SoCal

El_Diablo
04-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Okay, yes, his official NCAA eligibility became moot because he was already kicked out of school before the payments came to light. So I guess UConn is a little lucky that his own questionable actions happened to take care of the eligibility issues for them. But it's hard to argue his eligibility was not underminedd by those payments, and my point (that paying a player to commit to your school is not helping the kid) stands, regardless of whether the NCAA was ever forced to rule on it or not.

Does anyone truly think his eligibility would not be an issue here? He's received benefits from and admitted to taking cash payments from a former UConn team manager (who exchanged over 2000 phone calls and text messages with the UConn coaching staff during the recruitment) in exchange for his commitment. I mean, although the NCAA might not have ever ruled on Kobe Bryant's eligibility, it's okay to conclude that he's not eligible to play college basketball next year, right? If I'm wrong, and players like Miles are allowed to keep playing after these types of violations occur, then I take back my criticism of Calhoun, because it actually doesn't harm anyone. But I honestly don't believe that's the case, so I still think that paying players under the table is like playing with fire, and the potential for harm to the kids is much worse than the temporary benefits it provides them. And regardless, I see these types of scenarios as being driven primarily by selfishness (to get the player to come to YOUR school rather than another school) than out of some altruistic desire to help the kid. But maybe I'm just being overly cynical here; those altruistic factors could play a role too.

uh_no
04-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Okay, yes, his official NCAA eligibility became moot because he was already kicked out of school before the payments came to light. So I guess UConn is a little lucky that his own questionable actions happened to take care of the eligibility issues for them. But it's hard to argue his eligibility was not underminedd by those payments, and my point (that paying a player to commit to your school is not helping the kid) stands, regardless of whether the NCAA was ever forced to rule on it or not.

Does anyone truly think his eligibility would not be an issue here? He's received benefits from and admitted to taking cash payments from a former UConn team manager (who exchanged over 2000 phone calls and text messages with the UConn coaching staff during the recruitment) in exchange for his commitment. I mean, although the NCAA might not have ever ruled on Kobe Bryant's eligibility, it's okay to conclude that he's not eligible to play college basketball next year, right? If I'm wrong, and players like Miles are allowed to keep playing after these types of violations occur, then I take back my criticism of Calhoun, because it actually doesn't harm anyone. But I honestly don't believe that's the case, so I still think that paying players under the table is like playing with fire, and the potential for harm to the kids is much worse than the temporary benefits it provides them. And regardless, I see these types of scenarios as being driven primarily by selfishness (to get the player to come to YOUR school rather than another school) than out of some altruistic desire to help the kid. But maybe I'm just being overly cynical here; those altruistic factors could play a role too.

It's actually an interesting question. Generally, in situations with improper benefits, the player must repay the benefits before regaining eligibility. (as was the case with magette? given that didn't come from a booster/agent) The issue here would be that the kid has no money. I obviously don't think he'll sniff the game again, but I'm sure a situation would come up like this in the future where a kid gets paid...idk, even just a few hundred dollars, and ends up absolutely broke and unable to pay back the benefits....I have no idea what the NCAA would do.

SoCalDukeFan
04-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Miles has played pro ball.

Since Miles never played for the uconnvicts, I don't see the NCAA taking away any games. Future sanctions, if any, will involve reduced scholarships or other penalties but not taking away any trophies.

College basketball is very competitive. Young coaches trying to establish themselves may sell their souls for a talent. It is sad that Calhoun sold his for Miles.

SoCal

uh_no
04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
I think Nate Miles had his name in the draft and played pro basketball.

Since Miles never played for the

http://blogs.thehour.com/sportsminute/?p=1481

he was undrafted, went to the d league for a tad, then tried the 'premier league' and was fired....don't know the details...hope somehow this kid can improve his lot in life....

LSanders
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
"Kemba Walker recently read his first book"

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29758/kemba-walker-recently-read-his-first-book

Nothing more to say.

uh_no
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
"Kemba Walker recently read his first book"

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/29758/kemba-walker-recently-read-his-first-book

Nothing more to say.
I went through my entire duke undergrad and masters programs without having finished a book. If you're not an english major, reading books cover to cover is not as frequent as it once was.

Lord Ash
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I went through my entire duke undergrad and masters programs without having finished a book. If you're not an english major, reading books cover to cover is not as frequent as it once was.

That is the single most bizarre thing I've ever read on this forum. I am not sure how that is possible. This honestly makes me question whether or not you actually went to Duke. I have a feeling this is going to go way off topic.

uh_no
04-14-2011, 12:31 PM
That is the single most bizarre thing I've ever read on this forum. I am not sure how that is possible. This honestly makes me question whether or not you actually went to Duke. I have a feeling this is going to go way off topic.

Welcome to the 21st century. Books aren't king anymore. And if you want to question my academic integrity, please keep it off the board.

Gewebe14
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I could see it if you were an engineer. Except, wait a minute... No I couldn't because EVERYONE has to take freshman writing/English.

ChicagoHeel
04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I read that article about Walker and at first was kind of stunned and wondered if that is the case at our respective programs. It is hard to swallow- a college student approaching graduation having just read his first book. On the other hand, if you are interpreting his statement literally- that it is the first book he has read "cover to cover", it is more understandable. He is a sociology major and in the social sciences a typical syllabus consists primarily of journal articles and book chapters even at the upper levels. So I guess I can understand it. Still, it feels wrong. He must have taken a literature or history course somewhere along the way- hard to avoid books in those classes.

richardjackson199
04-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Props to Kemba - for real. You have to start somewhere and he was man enough to admit that. I respect him even more for doing the necessary work to earn his degree. He will get paid millions regardless, and he could have just as easily stopped going to class period. I hope he enjoyed the book and reads many more. I'm sure the percentage of Americans who have never read a book cover-to-cover would stagger us. Many can't read at all. Kemba valued his education, and it sounds like he got one and is earning a degree. I wish him the best in the NBA

Duvall
04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I could see it if you were an engineer. Except, wait a minute... No I couldn't because EVERYONE has to take freshman writing/English.

You could pretty easily get through a freshman composition course without reading a book cover-to-cover, even if one is required.

tbyers11
04-14-2011, 12:58 PM

When I took UWC (freshman writing) in 1995, I am pretty sure we never read an entire book. We mostly read shorter (5-20 page) excerpts of writing/short stories that our instructor had copied for us or that we copied off library reserves. Now that everything is digitized I am sure this is much simpler and even more commonplace.

However, even as a chem major, I did read plenty of books cover-to-cover in humanities classes. IMO, it does seem a bit difficult to be a non-engineer at Duke and not read a full book cover-to-cover if you fully completed assignments, but not totally off-base

uh_no
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
You could pretty easily get through a freshman composition course without reading a book cover-to-cover, even if one is required.
I can vouch having gotten through writing 20 without having read all of any of the required books. Having been in class with 2 freshman on our team, I can vouch that they hadn't read it all either

slower
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM

If it's the first book in his entire life that he's read cover to cover, that IS pathetic. Student-athletes, indeed.

richardjackson199
04-14-2011, 01:14 PM
If it's the first book in his entire life that he's read cover to cover, that IS pathetic. Student-athletes, indeed.

Respectfully, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge (i.e. maybe you should be "slower" to judge). Maybe Kemba's family wasn't reading books with him when he was young. There is nothing pathetic about a guy who worked that hard in and out of the classroom. His outside-of-the-classroom work elevated his game to be one of the best 3 college players in the country this year. His in-the-classroom work means he finished reading his first book cover-to-cover (when he could have just as easily been playing Xbox). He was probably proud of both accomplishments as he should be. His hard work will net him millions, competent literacy, a national championship, and a college degree. That's not pathetic, and it's not too shabby. Many "college athletes" have done much worse.

Lord Ash
04-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Just so we don't drag the athletes/studies/etc focused post off topic discussing Duke academics and the idea of book reading for non-athletes, I posted another post in off-topic about the idea of completing a degree at Duke or gaining an advanced degree without reading a traditional book cover to cover. I suppose it is possible, but it seems unusual to this old timer. Am I crazy? Anyway, so we don't drag the conversation relating to athletics off topic, here...

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25296-A-question-for-the-Duke-grads-and-folks-w-advanced-degrees

duke4ever19
04-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Getting through school without ever finishing a book should NOT be a point of pride for any human being.

While honesty should always be applauded, I'm afraid if I was Kemba Walker I would seriously contemplate a fib, or better yet, not put that kind of information about myself out there in the first place.

slower
04-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Respectfully, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to judge (i.e. maybe you should be "slower" to judge). Maybe Kemba's family wasn't reading books with him when he was young. There is nothing pathetic about a guy who worked that hard in and out of the classroom. His outside-of-the-classroom work elevated his game to be one of the best 3 college players in the country this year. His in-the-classroom work means he finished reading his first book cover-to-cover (when he could have just as easily been playing Xbox). He was probably proud of both accomplishments as he should be. His hard work will net him millions, competent literacy, a national championship, and a college degree. That's not pathetic, and it's not too shabby. Many "college athletes" have done much worse.

I wasn't judging HIM. I just said it was pathetic. And it is.

Channing
04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Getting through school without ever finishing a book should NOT be a point of pride for any human being.

While honesty should always be applauded, I'm afraid if I was Kemba Walker I would seriously contemplate a fib, or better yet, not put that kind of information about myself out there in the first place.

Wow, whatever you think you are saying, you are being incredibly judgemental. Maybe it is pathetic, maybe it isn't. As someone said, I would need to know more about Walker's background to give you an informed answer.

I was a public policy major at Duke and in the FOCUS program, and I think I made it through Duke without reading any books cover to cover. Most assignments were chapters and even if we did have a full book assigned, I typically had 3 other classes with huge reading requirements. If I missed a reading assignment for a week I typically just picked up where the class was and went from there. Somehow I managed to make it through Duke with good grades, get myself into law school, and find a job.

If you got out to your back yard and make ten straight three pointers you may be proud of that. I assure you Kemba Walker thinks its pathetic that it took you however many years it did to finally make ten straight three pointers.

As much as I hate to say it, its this very attitude that Elton was referring to in his letter.

duke4ever19
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
As someone said, I would need to know more about Walker's background to give you an informed answer.

You really think that Kemba had no chance to read and finish a book his whole life? That he was denied access to literature of any type or encouraged to read and then write papers on books assigned to him while in elementary, middle, and high school english classes?

Or perhaps it is because he doesn't care so much about reading and was more readily found outside hoisting those "three-pointers" that you mentioned?

If he had any desire to read and finish a book then he could have easily done so while in English class in high school, and especially while attending UConn. It was obviously something he wasn't itching to do.

If the guy went to school growing up, then he was asked to read and finish a book at some point in his life. "Reserve judgment" all you like. I'm not too sure what information could come out that would justify that position.

Gewebe14
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Here's some background, homeless people hang out in the library across the street from here all the time.

I'm sure someone who isn't homeless, went to school, and knows how to read could find their way to a book. Regardless of other background and parental characteristics.

uh_no
04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
You really think that Kemba had no chance to read and finish a book his whole life? That he was denied access to literature of any type or encouraged to read and then write papers on books assigned to him while in elementary, middle, and high school english classes?

Or perhaps it is because he doesn't care so much about reading and was more readily found outside hoisting those "three-pointers" that you mentioned?

If he had any desire to read and finish a book then he could have easily done so while in English class in high school, and especially while attending UConn. It was obviously something he wasn't itching to do.

If the guy went to school growing up, then he was asked to read and finish a book at some point in his life. "Reserve judgment" all you like. I'm not too sure what information could come out that would justify that position.

I had no interest in reading in school. I only read books in high school because I had to, and often didn't finish them. I only finished books in middle/elementary school because my parents 'strongly encouraged' me too. I can understand how someone without parental pressure might not finish a book, especially someone who isn't trying at all to succeed academically. I'm sure Kemba has known for a long time that he was going to play basketball, and he spent his time doing that, not reading Tess of the D'urbervilles.

A-Tex Devil
04-14-2011, 04:39 PM
We are missing the point here. Calhoun got sanctions. He's the bad guy.

With the exception of el-Amin and Marcus Williams (the player whose treatment originally raised my ire with Calhoun), UConn has produced some of the best citizens of any of the major schools, and I'll begrudgingly give Calhoun some credit for that.

Okafor, Ben Gordon, Villanueva, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Ricky Moore, etc. Those are lots of good kids that were model citizens, and many have gone beyond the call of duty outside the basketball court either in academics (Okafor) or philanthropy (Villanueva, Ray Allen). The kids on the current team, even Kemba, seem like good kids. too.

So let's steer this baby back to where it belongs. Jim Calhoun is a cheater and an a-hole. Thank you.

Kfanarmy
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Channing;499267] was a public policy major at Duke and in the FOCUS program, and I think I made it through Duke without reading any books cover to cover. ...Somehow I managed to ..., get myself into law school, and find a job.
[QUOTE] Now I understand: 1) lawyers a little bit better 2) why our congress can pass bills without reading them and 3) people who believe they "know" about topics without ever researching them. :p

Just kidding. My guess is there is a bit of hyperbole here about yourself as you go out of your way to support what is a very sad statement about a college student athlete.

BD80
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
We are missing the point here. Calhoun got sanctions. He's the bad guy.

With the exception of el-Amin and Marcus Williams (the player whose treatment originally raised my ire with Calhoun), UConn has produced some of the best citizens of any of the major schools, and I'll begrudgingly give Calhoun some credit for that.

Okafor, Ben Gordon, Villanueva, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Ricky Moore, etc. Those are lots of good kids that were model citizens, and many have gone beyond the call of duty outside the basketball court either in academics (Okafor) or philanthropy (Villanueva, Ray Allen). The kids on the current team, even Kemba, seem like good kids. too.

So let's steer this baby back to where it belongs. Jim Calhoun is a cheater and an a-hole. Thank you.

Not the best day to be touting Villanueva - 5 game suspension.

A-Tex Devil
04-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Not the best day to be touting Villanueva - 5 game suspension.

Fair enough. He's a pretty dirty player. But my understanding is he is a pretty good humanitarian, especially re: kids with alopecia.

Son of Mojo
04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
The focus of the thread should be on Calhoun and his dirty deeds but the information on Walker just seems like a condemnation on education, regardless of where he went to school. I don't see how anyone, in any course of study that has made it to a university, has NEVER read an entire book. Going back into elementary school, middle school, high school, and then to higher education.........how is that possible??? Every kid I've ever known has to take English courses in HS and has had English classes of some sort before that where you are assigned books to read. Given, I know plenty who skimmed books and/or used the little yellow books in their place, but to not have at least one book grab you enough through that time to be read blows me away. I think I had to read at least one full book every semester that I was at uncG. Regardless of a chosen major it's just hard to believe that could happen.

sagegrouse
04-15-2011, 02:40 AM
The focus of the thread should be on Calhoun and his dirty deeds but the information on Walker just seems like a condemnation on education, regardless of where he went to school. I don't see how anyone, in any course of study that has made it to a university, has NEVER read an entire book. Going back into elementary school, middle school, high school, and then to higher education.........how is that possible??? Every kid I've ever known has to take English courses in HS and has had English classes of some sort before that where you are assigned books to read. Given, I know plenty who skimmed books and/or used the little yellow books in their place, but to not have at least one book grab you enough through that time to be read blows me away. I think I had to read at least one full book every semester that I was at uncG. Regardless of a chosen major it's just hard to believe that could happen.

This subthread should probably be OTed, but it is a worthwhile discussion.

Would someone please enlighten me? In the first semester of freshman English we read novels by Conrad, Forster, Fitzgerald and Hemingway, and I think everyone actually read them. Now admittedly these are dead white males and not especially favored today in the literary canon of undergraduate education, I suppose. Actually, Forster and Hemingway were still alive, but Ernie punched out right after my freshman year, no doubt figuring that was as good a time as any.

Be that as it may, surely freshman English involves reading books, or else, what do you read? Maybe it doesn't involved reading, since it was renamed the University Writing Course.

And BTW how does one right term papers without reading books on the chosen subject, or are term papers a thing of the past as well?

sagegrouse

uh_no
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM

Would someone please enlighten me? In the first semester of freshman English we read novels by Conrad, Forster, Fitzgerald and Hemingway, and I think everyone actually read them. Now admittedly these are dead white males and not especially favored today in the literary canon of undergraduate education, I suppose. Actually, Forster and Hemingway were still alive, but Ernie punched out right after my freshman year, no doubt figuring that was as good a time as any.

Be that as it may, surely freshman English involves reading books, or else, what do you read? Maybe it doesn't involved reading, since it was renamed the University Writing Course.

And BTW how does one right term papers without reading books on the chosen subject, or are term papers a thing of the past as well?

sagegrouse

Very few of the courses involve reading books now. They focus mostly around writing and revising papers. This makes sense as most of the writing students will be doing in their lives will not revolve around analyzing literature, but will involve synthesizing information from various sources (regardless of the field). In my particular W20 class, we were 'assigned' 3 books: In cold blood, The Bone Collector, and 1 other whose name I can't remember. I got partway through the bone collector and In Cold blood, and didn't read the last one. Didn't need to. The main essay of the semester involved analyzing the difference in coverage of a serial killer in various sources (newspapers, online media, w/e), so most of the 'reading' I did that semester was news clippings. Again, the purpose is to take sources and form an argument, which is relevant to ALL fieds (as opposed to writing about a book...which is relevant to only English majors).

monkey
04-15-2011, 10:34 AM

sagegrouse

We didn't read any books that I recall in UWC (this was fall 94). Actually, my UWC was completely worthless. I seem to recall the teacher had a problem with referring to "society" in sentences because it was too diverse a population to make generalizations about it but that's about all I got from that class. Hope it is better now.

richardjackson199
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM

sagegrouse

I was never asked to read a whole book in UWC at Duke. I wrote several papers by going to the library and reading parts of various sources to extract points for the paper. It's also important to remember that kids in college now have more demands on their time than we did. I never spent 1-2 hours a day checking email when I was in middle/high school because there was no email or internet (or DBR board or Youtube). So I had more time to sit and read books. Reading books was highly emphasized to me by my mother at a young age. Not everyone is blessed with the same circumstances. But when someone works hard and develops the talents they've been blessed with, I am impressed. I am especially impressed if that person earns a college degree in 3 years (or finishes that book cover-to-cover) when they could just as easliy make millions without doing so. People can say that he should have read more books than one to this point. That is fine - I think his accomplishments speak for themselves.
I am not a UConn fan. I was at the game in 99 when Rip Hamilton & co. crushed our dreams of a NC. I wanted to vomit when Calhoun laughed about kicking our asses and breaking our hearts. He did and it hurt. I am not a Calhoun fan - the evidence points to a cheater, win-at-all costs individual with little to no integrity. He is clearly an excellent coach, but I'm pretty happy with Coach K representing our program. But I have nothing but respect for what I've seen from Kemba Walker.

BD80
04-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Would reading Cliff Notes qualify as reading a book?

94duke
04-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Would reading Cliff Notes qualify as reading a book?

Only if you read it cover-to-cover.:p

moonpie23
04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
BACK ON TOPIC !

Calhoun is a coach on probation that hoisted the natty........that is despicable...

94duke
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
BACK ON TOPIC !

Calhoun is a coach on probation that hoisted the natty........that is despicable...

Thanks for getting us back on topic.

And you are correct, it is despicable.

Has anyone heard whether or not he will retire?

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks for getting us back on topic.

And you are correct, it is despicable.

Has anyone heard whether or not he will retire?

It is despicable. He is a cheater. But he is a great coach (HOF + 3 rings).

ThePublisher
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
This past final four was the underdogs v. the cheaters. Shame the cheaters side won it all. It just reinforces the cheating. That is unless the NCAA takes away the title, which is doubtful. Cahoon will probably just retire before UCONN gets hit with anything. Kind of like how Calipari leaves his schools before they are in trouble.
The coaches obviously have the inside word.

uh_no
04-17-2011, 09:40 AM
This past final four was the underdogs v. the cheaters. Shame the cheaters side won it all. It just reinforces the cheating. That is unless the NCAA takes away the title, which is doubtful. Cahoon will probably just retire before UCONN gets hit with anything. Kind of like how Calipari leaves his schools before they are in trouble.
The coaches obviously have the inside word.

a) the cheating occurred before any of these players were on the team, the only thing it would make any sense to vacate would be the '09 final 4 run

b) calhoun is likely staying

moonpie23
04-17-2011, 09:51 AM
a) the cheating occurred before any of these players were on the team, the only thing it would make any sense to vacate would be the '09 final 4 run

b) calhoun is likely staying

how about vacating this most recent title due to the fact he should have served his suspension THIS YEAR......in the tourny......not moving it to NEXT year...

cal shouldn't have been even coaching for the tourny....i doubt they win the title without him....

Kdogg
04-17-2011, 09:52 AM
a) the cheating occurred before any of these players were on the team, the only thing it would make any sense to vacate would be the '09 final 4 run.

All that means is any recent shenanigans have not come to light. Do you really think the program had some sort of epiphany and changed their practices? Usually I will give a person a second chance but their's too much smoke here.

uh_no
04-17-2011, 10:45 AM
how about vacating this most recent title due to the fact he should have served his suspension THIS YEAR......in the tourny......not moving it to NEXT year...

cal shouldn't have been even coaching for the tourny....i doubt they win the title without him....

The three game suspension, had it been served immediately once it was handed down, would have been the last 3 games...2/3 of which Uconn lost anyway, which sort of makes your point invalid.

moonpie23
04-17-2011, 11:22 PM
my POINT was for him to serve his suspension in the POST SEASON....

and it's pretty valid...

uh_no
04-17-2011, 11:34 PM

and it's pretty valid...

so would you condone every suspension handed out be delayed untill the postseason?

Thats fine, but remember that last year nolan was suspended for 2 games. Would you have condoned that suspension being moved to the first 2 games of post season play? I surely wouldn't have. You may disagree with the ruling which got nolan suspended, but you can't say that Calhoun's suspension should be delayed for the postseason while not wanting that when our players our suspended (however illegitimate the reasons may be)

DukeGirl4ever
04-18-2011, 10:25 AM

and it's pretty valid...

Moonpie, I agree with you on this. If ANY team commits a violation during the season, the suspensions, etc. should have an impact on THAT season. Calhoun's suspension next season is an absolute joke!

I would love to see this happen (even though I know it won't) - any team that commits a serious violation during the season would not be eligible to make the field of 68, or any post-season tournament. Of course the "serious violation" would have to be defined. I wonder if that would make some coaches think twice.

PADukeMom
04-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Until the NCAA starts taking these matters seriously enough & swift enough to hand down harsh sanctions this type of behaviour will continue to prevail in college sports. The attitude of it's only a crime IF we get caught has been the motto for many of these programs. Jim Tressel should be out for an entire year. He knew what happened but chose to ignore it until the matter became public.
Bruce Pearl, Cal, San Diego I can go on & on.

uh_no
04-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Until the NCAA starts taking these matters seriously enough & swift enough to hand down harsh sanctions this type of behaviour will continue to prevail in college sports. The attitude of it's only a crime IF we get caught has been the motto for many of these programs. Jim Tressel should be out for an entire year. He knew what happened but chose to ignore it until the matter became public.
Bruce Pearl, Cal, San Diego I can go on & on.

The issue with tressel and Pearl was that they lied to the NCAA. The NCAA hates a lot of things, but they don't like being lied too.

Most of these big names in both the NCAA and out don't get in trouble for what they've done, but for lying about it

Tressel
Pearl
Bonds
Clemens
Martha Stewart

PADukeMom
04-18-2011, 01:29 PM
The issue with tressel and Pearl was that they lied to the NCAA. The NCAA hates a lot of things, but they don't like being lied too.

Most of these big names in both the NCAA and out don't get in trouble for what they've done, but for lying about it

However they had to of done something illegal in the first place. IMHO this is just a lot of NCAA "hot air" blowing around. As long as it doesn't involve Duke or Penn State I'm happy.

sagegrouse
04-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Tressel
Pearl
Bonds
Clemens
Martha Stewart

And you left out Watergate and Monica.

-- sagegrouse
'And as Seinfeld said, "He's in trouble for lying about sex? People lie during sex!"'

toughbuff1
04-22-2011, 01:49 PM
UConn guard Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was arrested and charges with possession of more than four ounces of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. I will be interesting to see what computer science major gets suspended because of this.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-uconnplayerarrested

uh_no
04-22-2011, 01:56 PM
UConn guard Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was arrested and charges with possession of more than four ounces of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. I will be interesting to see what computer science major gets suspended because of this.

This kid's been a problem since he got to Uconn....apparently fights with calhoun all the time...wanted to transfer....wish he would.....but then people would say that calhoun kicked him out for not playing well enough....oh well...lose lose

SoCalDukeFan
04-22-2011, 02:07 PM

on how he fits into Calhoun's plans for next year.

If he fits then Jim will "help the kid" and give him a second chance, etc.

If he does not then Jim will be tough and the kid will forced out of the program.

SoCal

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
on how he fits into Calhoun's plans for next year.

If he fits then Jim will "help the kid" and give him a second chance, etc.

If he does not then Jim will be tough and the kid will forced out of the program.

SoCal
He was arrested for the drugs on school property. I would assume that he would be kicked out of school, regardless of Calhoun's wishes. We know what his fate would be if he were on the Duke football team. By the way, he might not have been busted for dealing, but he had almost 6 ounces. Split between the 2 other guys he was arrested with, that's still leaves a lot for individual use. Can't say without knowing the facts, but that's still a fair amount to have and not sell.

toughbuff1
04-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Apparently the article was incorrect. Everything I'm reading now says 5.6 grams, not ounces, which while still bad is not nearly as serious. My guess is he's suspended for the first few games of the season.

CameronBornAndBred
04-22-2011, 03:24 PM
He was arrested for the drugs on school property. I would assume that he would be kicked out of school, regardless of Calhoun's wishes. We know what his fate would be if he were on the Duke football team. By the way, he might not have been busted for dealing, but he had almost 6 ounces. Split between the 2 other guys he was arrested with, that's still leaves a lot for individual use. Can't say without knowing the facts, but that's still a fair amount to have and not sell.

Apparently the article was incorrect. Everything I'm reading now says 5.6 grams, not ounces, which while still bad is not nearly as serious. My guess is he's suspended for the first few games of the season.
That's a HUGE difference. And makes most of my post above moot.

devildeac
04-22-2011, 05:25 PM
That's a HUGE difference. And makes most of my post above moot.

Don't you mean "mute?"

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?25327-Mute-vs-Moot#post500418

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/29.gif

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/24.gif

uh_no
04-22-2011, 06:34 PM

Oh goodness thats a big difference! might be half the undergraduate population at most universities has that much on them

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Coombs-McDaniel is transferring.

That opens up another scholarship...which they may lose anyways.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6485556