PDA

View Full Version : Tyshawn Taylor of Kansas suspended

wgl1228
02-21-2011, 01:08 PM
It's Kansas so I'm sure they'll let him play in again in a few days but its news. I think he played for Bob Hurley Sr. so I'm sure he is disappointed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6144510

Channing
02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
It's Kansas so I'm sure they'll let him play in again in a few days but its news. I think he played for Bob Hurley Sr. so I'm sure he is disappointed.

Isn't Taylor the one that was in the middle of that fight with the football team. He posted some absolute gibberish/nonsense on his facebook page or something, iirc.

DevilWearsPrada
02-21-2011, 01:20 PM
I read this on ESPN. Sounds like he might miss a game or two. I know Coaches, hate doing that to a kid. Its getting near the end of February.

Discipline and character go along way, with athletes. Because, with high profile school, these athletes are like ROCK STARS or Movie Stars. But they certainly cant act like rock stars or entertainers (ie Charlie Sheen, Lindsey Lohan,etc).

I would think living in a glass house, isnt easy for these young people. Or at least an adjustment!

moonpie23
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
is it ironic that gotleib is talking about "character"???

muzikfrk75
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
So I'm wondering...when was the last time Duke suspended one of its players? I remember when Abdelnaby got in trouble for something...

DukieInKansas
02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Interestingly enough, the article on this in the KC Star also says that one of the KU women's basketball team players was also suspended for violation of team rules.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/21/2671167/kus-taylor-suspended-indefinitely.html

I don't know if there is any relation between the two? Perhaps an academic situation that came to light at the same time?

Greg_Newton
02-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Funny, I clicked this thread just after I read another thread about an Oak Hill Kansas recruit getting expelled. But to be fair, it's really the only recent blemish on KU basketball's pristine reputation... well, besides Mario Little beating his girlfriend earlier this year... oh, and Selby's 9-game suspension... right, and the Morris twins propensity for flagrant fouls and dirty play... and that minor issue that was the massive tribal war between the basketball and football teams for several weeks last year...

They just make it so hard to root against them!

Chris Randolph
02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Funny, I clicked this thread just after I read another thread about an Oak Hill Kansas recruit getting expelled. But to be fair, it's really the only recent blemish on KU basketball's pristine reputation... well, besides Mario Little beating his girlfriend earlier this year... oh, and Selby's 9-game suspension... right, and the Morris twins propensity for flagrant fouls and dirty play... and that minor issue that was the massive tribal war between the basketball and football teams for several weeks last year...

Love this post, absolutely love it. I live in Kansas and have to listen to the KU supporters all the time. I like Bill Self but wow his program has become one of if not the worst behaving/lack of discipline programs in the nation. A lot of true University of Kansas fans are not very pleased at the behavior of the players, regardless of the success.

El_Diablo
02-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Other recent gems...

Chalmers and Arthur busted for weed: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3567481

Pump brothers, KU boosters, KU family members, et al. ticket scalping scandal: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-kutickets052610

Markieff Morris wrecks an SUV that Tyshawn Taylor "legitimately" purchased from KU alum Scott Pollard (and which contained a 16-year-old female passenger): http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/oct/07/markieff-morris-involved-non-injury-accident-drivi/

Brady Morningstar pleads guilty to DUI (diverted sentence): http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/oct/21/brady-morningstar-gets-diversion-driving-under-inf/

TexHawk
02-22-2011, 12:32 AM

Look, you all are smart people, and I like you, so I will ask this hoping for an honest response: As a Kansas fan, what exactly should I do? Stop cheering for them? While the Mario Little situation is disgusting, does that blow away 30+ years of being a fan, considering most of the kids that come through are good people? I don't like that he's on the team, I cannot cheer for him, but am I expected to drop everything and become a Missouri fan now? Maybe drop cbb altogether?

Now, take this list with a grain of salt. It's going to sound like I'm making excuses, but I feel compelled to since this poster is lumping Taylor/Selby/Morris Bros in with Little.
1. The early rumor is that Taylor got suspended for marijuana use. While I find that incredibly stupid, considering that he's the point guard for one of the top teams in the country, does that make him a thug? It makes him a 19 year-old knucklehead.
2. The Oak Hill recruit you mention, Ben Mclemore, is being recruited by a bunch of schools, including KU, but he has not committed anywhere. Why you lump this in with Kansas thugness, I have no idea.
3. Josh Selby got a 9 game suspension for inappropriate benefits from a long-time friend of his mother, who happens to be an agent. These benefits occurred many years before he was on KU's radar. He was punished for it, so there clearly was some evidence. But it obviously had nothing to do with Bill Self or KU. If it did, we'd be on probation right now.
4. True, the Morris brothers can be a bit punk-ish on the court, but a lot of schools have had players like this. (Yep, even you guys.) They are clearly terrible people off the court (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/aug/18/ku-mens-basketball-players-visit-hospital-patients/) too.

Greg_Newton
02-22-2011, 01:59 AM
Look, you all are smart people, and I like you, so I will ask this hoping for an honest response: As a Kansas fan, what exactly should I do? Stop cheering for them? While the Mario Little situation is disgusting, does that blow away 30+ years of being a fan, considering most of the kids that come through are good people? I don't like that he's on the team, I cannot cheer for him, but am I expected to drop everything and become a Missouri fan now? Maybe drop cbb altogether?

Now, take this list with a grain of salt. It's going to sound like I'm making excuses, but I feel compelled to since this poster is lumping Taylor/Selby/Morris Bros in with Little.
1. The early rumor is that Taylor got suspended for marijuana use. While I find that incredibly stupid, considering that he's the point guard for one of the top teams in the country, does that make him a thug? It makes him a 19 year-old knucklehead.
2. The Oak Hill recruit you mention, Ben Mclemore, is being recruited by a bunch of schools, including KU, but he has not committed anywhere. Why you lump this in with Kansas thugness, I have no idea.
3. Josh Selby got a 9 game suspension for inappropriate benefits from a long-time friend of his mother, who happens to be an agent. These benefits occurred many years before he was on KU's radar. He was punished for it, so there clearly was some evidence. But it obviously had nothing to do with Bill Self or KU. If it did, we'd be on probation right now.
4. True, the Morris brothers can be a bit punk-ish on the court, but a lot of schools have had players like this. (Yep, even you guys.) They are clearly terrible people off the court (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/aug/18/ku-mens-basketball-players-visit-hospital-patients/) too.

1. Agreed, if true... we had JJ...
2. The link I read said he was deciding between KU and someone else. Just thought it was funny because I had read that literally 10 seconds before I read this news.
3. Agreed... we had Maggette...
4. Nice article, they sound like decent guys. I've just seen them throw a lot of elbows and heard announcers talk about their temper issues and tendency towards techs/flagrants, so I haven't had a great impression of them.

Honestly, my post was just meant to be lighthearted; I didn't even know we had any KU fans reading, to be honest. Obviously, none of the above things you listed are exactly abominations, taken individually. Even squeaky-clean Duke has had some similar situations over the years.

However, the fact that all of these things have happened... plus the basketball-football beefing... plus the Pump brothers... plus the Arthur abuse issue... plus the Morningstar DUI... plus the SUV fiasco... plus the other weed busts... all in the last couple of years is a little ridiculous. I mean, that's a LOT of smoke. At some point, it's not just a bad apple or two, it's a chronic culture problem. And I kind of wonder why Self isn't ever held accountable for this by anyone, media or otherwise.

As for your question, I don't think anyone would want you to stop being a fan. You can still be a proud patriot even if you don't support whomever happens to be in the White House at a given time... sounds like you were associated with KU before Bill Self was, and before any of your current players were even born.

...but just sayin', there's always room on this side of the fence! :cool:

Jim3k
02-22-2011, 04:16 AM
As a Kansas fan, what exactly should I do? Stop cheering for them? While the Mario Little situation is disgusting, does that blow away 30+ years of being a fan, considering most of the kids that come through are good people? I don't like that he's on the team, I cannot cheer for him, but am I expected to drop everything and become a Missouri fan now? Maybe drop cbb altogether?

You can express your dismay in an appropriate letter to the AD, to the local paper and/or to Coach Self. You can decline to give money to the athletic department until these problems are addressed and fixed. You can create (or join) some existing group whose purpose is to pressure KU to clean things up. You can ask your legislator to look into why these things are occurring.

Or, you can sit on your hands like most everyone else and allow the university to become UK instead of KU. Either take steps or accept that you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

moonpie23
02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Or, you can sit on your hands like most everyone else and allow the university to become.........

Carolina Tarholes....

DukieInKansas
02-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I will stick up slightly for the Morris brothers. I think the refs have a hard time telling them apart even though they have different jerseys. Coach Self commented the other day that the refs will talk to him about the twins after a foul and not a specific twin. They need to learn from that and avoid even a semblence of throwing an elbow for the rest of the season or they will never get rid of the reputation.

eta - would someone please let me sisters, the KU fans, know that I stuck up for the twins? Thank you. ;)

crimsonandblue
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
1. Agreed, if true... we had JJ...
2. The link I read said he was deciding between KU and someone else. Just thought it was funny because I had read that literally 10 seconds before I read this news.
3. Agreed... we had Maggette...
4. Nice article, they sound like decent guys. I've just seen them throw a lot of elbows and heard announcers talk about their temper issues and tendency towards techs/flagrants, so I haven't had a great impression of them.

Honestly, my post was just meant to be lighthearted; I didn't even know we had any KU fans reading, to be honest. Obviously, none of the above things you listed are exactly abominations, taken individually. Even squeaky-clean Duke has had some similar situations over the years.

However, the fact that all of these things have happened... plus the basketball-football beefing... plus the Pump brothers... plus the Arthur abuse issue... plus the Morningstar DUI... plus the SUV fiasco... plus the other weed busts... all in the last couple of years is a little ridiculous. I mean, that's a LOT of smoke. At some point, it's not just a bad apple or two, it's a chronic culture problem. And I kind of wonder why Self isn't ever held accountable for this by anyone, media or otherwise.

As for your question, I don't think anyone would want you to stop being a fan. You can still be a proud patriot even if you don't support whomever happens to be in the White House at a given time... sounds like you were associated with KU before Bill Self was, and before any of your current players were even born.

...but just sayin', there's always room on this side of the fence! :cool:

Kansas fans are everywhere. Beware what you write.

As for what you wrote, I hoped it was lighthearted, considering your nom de plume.

Andre Buckner Fan
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM

TexHawk, I get what you're saying. Living in Pittsburgh, I'm a Steelers fan, but I couldn't be more ashamed of Roethlisberger (guilty of one specific crime or not, he's an awful leader). But I'm not going to throw away years of fandom and loyalty over one player.

It, of course, makes me less proud to be a Steeler fan, but what are you going to do?

We Duke fans are extremely lucky because Coach K is so rigorous about keeping the program clean while still finding ways to win. We're spoiled and we can be a bit self-righteous about it at times, but I think this whole thread was mostly just joking.

TexHawk
02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Well, to those who are far away, it's your right to claim there is a lot of smoke. But I'm not really talking about the public perception. It does concern me, but there's not a whole lot I can do to convince Mizzou, KSU, Illinois, UNC, or Duke fans to change their minds. For example, Illinois fans see KU on probation, and scream "Your championship is tainted!" Conveniently ignoring the fact that it was Roy Williams who put us there.

Of course, to those of us who follow the program closely, each situation is unique. Again, here I am with the excuses. ;) In the ticket scandal, KU is the victim, they lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I have no idea why people claim this is a stain on Bill Self or the KU program. As you can probably tell by my Taylor comments, weed busts don't concern me, besides, Chalmers/Arthur were busted after they left KU. The Taylor SVU was legally purchased, and the compliance department was heavily involved with the transaction. While I will not defend it, Morningstar was suspended for the semester for his DUI, which was tougher than similar incidents at other schools (Korie Lucious got 2 friggin games for his), but admittedly more lenient than others.

My post was more of a question about how you would react in a similar situation. I appreciate the response.

BD80
02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
... While I will not defend it, Morningstar was suspended for the semester for his DUI, which was tougher than similar incidents at other schools (Korie Lucious got 2 friggin games for his), but admittedly more lenient than others. ...

Which semester? How many games? How many meaningful games?

What about the 16 year old girl? What was the BAC? How fast was he going?

This is not one to sweep under the rug. It was egregious.

El_Diablo
02-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Which semester? How many games? How many meaningful games?

What about the 16 year old girl? What was the BAC? How fast was he going?

This is not one to sweep under the rug. It was egregious.

Morningstar was weaving out of his lane and clocked at 78 mph. His BAC was "nearly twice" the legal limit (0.08 in Kansas), so that sounds like it was probably 0.14 or 0.15. According the NHTSA, for a 180-lb man like Morningstar, eight drinks in one hour typically yields a BAC of 0.152. Nine drinks in three hours = 0.143. Ten drinks in four hours = 0.148.

Korie Lucious had a BAC of 0.09.

And the 16-year-old-girl was riding with Markieff Morris (in a separate incident), not with Morningstar.