PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to see you in the tournament!

sbroc012
02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Did any of you watch bracketbusters this past weekend. I go to ODU and we played Cleveland State and won yesterday(even though Cole had 35). After this weekend I think there are some mid-major teams that could make some upper seeded teams shutter if they were to match up. I could see ODU, GMU, and VCU all giving opponents problems in the first or second round.
What team have you noticed that you would not want to see come tournament time?

House G
02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
St. Johns.

KyDevilinIL
02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
St. Johns.

I wouldn't mind another crack at St. John's. I'm not going to hope for one, but I wouldn't mind if it happened.

uh_no
02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't mind another crack at St. John's. I'm not going to hope for one, but I wouldn't mind if it happened.

as long as its not at MSG....its rumored that top 10 teams used to be able to win there...

timmy c
02-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing St. John's again, especially with Kyrie on the court. :D

BlueDevilCorvette!
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't want to see any team from the Big East. This year the Big East has taken the role of the ACC where any team can beat another one on any given night. The Big East is an absolute slugfest this year...the last team standing is the winner.

dcdevil2009
02-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing St. John's again, especially with Kyrie on the court. :D

I wouldn't mind a lot of things, if it meant having Kyrie on the court.

epoulsen
02-21-2011, 12:02 PM
UNC.... I would much rather see them in the NIT again. Perhaps I mistook the question though, which would change my answer to Dayton, I would HATE to see Dayton, what with the refs being in their pocket and all.

Orange&BlackSheep
02-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Of the top teams, I prefer no Ohio St or Texas.

Beyond that, avoiding teams with several slashing 6'5" guards/small forwards would be my preference. Teams that have been effective off the bounce seem most likely to be the ones that punish us ala Villanova from a few years ago.

gam7
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Wisconsin.

Dev11
02-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Wisconsin.

Always play better at home than in the tournament, thanks to "The Bo Ryan Ball."

http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/is-home-court-advantage-really-about-the-ball/

This has nothing to do with the fact that I had them in as a Final Four team last year. I swear.

Anybody want to comment on some of these mid-majors that have been mentioned, specifically as to why they could be this year's Butler-Davidson-GMU-Gonzaga?

sagegrouse
02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I think the OP's question dealt with mid-majors who were 7-10 seeds and could be real loads in the round of 32 (now the 3rd round?) or the Sweet Sixteen.

From my point of view it's a trick question. Kinda like, "What is the best team you have NEVER heard of?" I haven't seen George Mason (now on the threshold of the Top 25) nor VCU. I have seen Butler, and I would just as soon avoid playing them a third time within twelve months.

I suppose, based on records to date, that Missouri State, Cleveland State, Richmond, and Wichita State would be teams to avoid. Richmond, in particular, has wins over Purdue, Arizona State, Seton Hall and is near the top of the A-10.

sagegrouse

FerryFor50
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Cleveland St because of this guy:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Norris-Cole-6234/

Blue in the Face
02-21-2011, 05:05 PM
as long as its not at MSG....its rumored that top 10 teams used to be able to win there...
I would be extremely unhappy to see Duke play at MSG again this season, whether St John's is involved or not.

4decadedukie
02-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Pitt, UConn, Ohio State

Bob Green
02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I'll start with two assumptions:

1. We will be a #1 or #2 seed.
2. We will win our first game against the #16 or #15 seed.

Therefore, we will be facing a #7, #8, #9 or #10 seed in our second game. Looking at last season's bracket, in order to gain some perspective, teams which advanced in those slots included: University of Northern Iowa (MVC), Georgia Tech (ACC), Gonzaga (WCC), BYU (MWC), Wake Forest (ACC), Missouri (Big12), Old Dominion (CAA) and St. Mary's (WCC).

#9 Northern Iowa and #10 St. Mary's won their second round games over #1 Kansas and #2 Villanova respectively. So the question becomes who has the potential to be this year's Northern Iowa or St. Mary's?

So let's look at several of the mid major conferences, to see who the current top teams are and what is their Pomeroy ranking:

Atlantic Sun: Belmont (29)
Colonial: George Mason (18)
Horizon: Cleveland State (65) and Valparaiso (84)
Ivy League: Harvard (80) and Princeton (102)
Missouri Valley: Missouri State (86) and Wichita State (47)
Ohio Valley: Morehead State (109) and Murray State (125)
Patriot League: Bucknell (104)
Summit League: Oakland (76)
West Coast Conference: St. Mary’s (43) and Gonzaga (49)

So there are five mid major teams currently in first or second place in their conference and with a Top 50 Pomeroy ranking. While I am not saying I do not desire to play these teams in the NCAAT, I am saying these are potential Round of 32 opponents.

uh_no
02-21-2011, 06:53 PM
I'll start with two assumptions:

1. We will be a #1 or #2 seed.
2. We will win our first game against the #16 or #15 seed.

Therefore, we will be facing a #7, #8, #9 or #10 seed in our second game. Looking at last season's bracket, in order to gain some perspective, teams which advanced in those slots included: University of Northern Iowa (MVC), Georgia Tech (ACC), Gonzaga (WCC), BYU (MWC), Wake Forest (ACC), Missouri (Big12), Old Dominion (CAA) and St. Mary's (WCC).

#9 Northern Iowa and #10 St. Mary's won their second round games over #1 Kansas and #2 Villanova respectively. So the question becomes who has the potential to be this year's Northern Iowa or St. Mary's?

So let's look at several of the mid major conferences, to see who the current top teams are and what is their Pomeroy ranking:

Colonial: George Mason (18)
Horizon: Cleveland State (65) and Valparaiso (84)
Ivy League: Harvard (80) and Princeton (102)
Missouri Valley: Missouri State (86) and Wichita State (47)
Ohio Valley: Morehead State (109) and Murray State (125)
Patriot League: Bucknell (104)
Summit League: Oakland (76)
West Coast Conference: St. Mary’s (43) and Gonzaga (49)

So there are five mid major teams currently in first or second place in their conference and with a Top 50 Pomeroy ranking. While I am not saying I do not desire to play these teams in the NCAAT, I am saying these are potential Round of 32 opponents.

Joe Lunardi currently has temple as a 7 seed, so wednesday's game is a pretty good indication of whether we can make a run to the sweet 16 or not

sporthenry
02-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Richmond is not that good this year. The A-10 is having a pretty terrible year and Richmond has not impressed much.

Temple is going through some injuries including their starting center being down for the year and one of their swing man might not play vs Duke. I expect big games from Mason and/or Miles vs Temple.

And teams that scare me in the second round are BCS conference teams. Traditionally, Duke has played well vs mid majors as K has done a great job scheduling these type of teams early in the season. Tradtionally, these teams are able to use discipline to exploit other teams, but the way to beat Duke is through penetration and athleticism. VCU had Maynor and unless a team has an NBA pentrator they don't scare me. A team like Mizzou (who presses and has athleticism), Cincy, Marquette, St. Johns, etc scare me. Luckily, we won't see Marquette or St. Johns in the second round.

Billy Dat
02-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Of the top teams, I prefer no Ohio St or Texas.

Beyond that, avoiding teams with several slashing 6'5" guards/small forwards would be my preference. Teams that have been effective off the bounce seem most likely to be the ones that punish us ala Villanova from a few years ago.

Yeah...these are the kind of teams that scare me in a "styles make fights" kind of way. I worry about teams with length and athleticism that run and have bigs that slash. We've never faced a Bruce Pearl Tennessee squad and I don't want to, especially in a year like this where, if they make the dance, they'll be low seeded but very dangerous.

As for teams more on the national radar, no need to see Louisville or Missouri, either.

By the way, what the heck happened to Baylor this year? After we beat them in the Elite Eight, and they were losing Tweety Carter but returning eveyone including freshman phenom Perry Jones, I thought they'd be a title contender. Should they squeak in, I don't want to see them either. Quincy Acy scares me.

wavedukefan70s
02-22-2011, 05:57 AM
My pick is texas a&m.seventeen players ,twelve of them between 6'4" and 6'9".four of them are freshman.if a game with them turned into foul contest or a run and gun .they could be a very tough draw to deal with.

PADukeMom
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
My pick is texas a&m.seventeen players ,twelve of them between 6'4" and 6'9".four of them are freshman.if a game with them turned into foul contest or a run and gun .they could be a very tough draw to deal with.

Freshmen tend make stupid decisions when there is a big stake game on the line. I personally would love to play St Johns again especially if Kyrie is back.

superdave
02-22-2011, 01:21 PM

The same Belmont that almost gave us all heart attacks in 2008? Hmmmm....do you want to deal them some punishment or avoid them altogether!?

wilson
02-22-2011, 01:25 PM
The same Belmont that almost gave us all heart attacks in 2008? Hmmmm....do you want to deal them some punishment or avoid them altogether!?Punishment. Remember, it quietly trickled out not long after that game that about 2/3 of our program had the flu that week. Plus, this team is several notches better than that one was.

Jderf
02-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Freshmen tend make stupid decisions when there is a big stake game on the line. I personally would love to play St Johns again especially if Kyrie is back.

Doesn't the first sentence negate the second? :D

PumpkinFunk
02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
My biggest fear is a 2nd-round matchup with George Mason. They are an incredibly underrated team with a lot of seniors and tournament experience. Not a good combination to go up against. It doesn't help that they're also my hometown team, and one I'm cheering for as long as they stay away from us.

The other scary-looking teams in the 7-10 range are some of the Big Ten bubble teams (MSU, Minnesota, Illinois).

basket1544
02-23-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't want Duke to play Harvard in the tournament. It would cause too many confusing moments. However, I do want to see Harvard get in.

A-Tex Devil
02-23-2011, 12:25 AM

Texas A&M is not very talented. I have seen them several times this year. Duke would have to play horribly to lose to them.

Teams that will be seeded 4 and worse that may give Duke problems -- any Big East team, Arizona, Kansas St., Wisconsin, Kentucky.

A-Tex Devil
02-23-2011, 12:26 AM
My biggest fear is a 2nd-round matchup with George Mason. They are an incredibly underrated team with a lot of seniors and tournament experience. Not a good combination to go up against. It doesn't help that they're also my hometown team, and one I'm cheering for as long as they stay away from us.

The other scary-looking teams in the 7-10 range are some of the Big Ten bubble teams (MSU, Minnesota, Illinois).

Good Duke teams never lose to mid majors. The only one I can think of is Cincy in '99, but they were hardly considered a "mid major" then. Butler was a rim out from ruining my theory bordering on law. But seriously, find an example. VCU and Eastern Michagn don't count because those weren't good Duke teams.

rasputin
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Good Duke teams never lose to mid majors. The only one I can think of is Cincy in '99, but they were hardly considered a "mid major" then. Butler was a rim out from ruining my theory bordering on law. But seriously, find an example. VCU and Eastern Michagn don't count because those weren't good Duke teams.

Minnesota's loss to Michigan State this week hurts their chances; the Gophers are 6-9 in the Big Ten right now.

OldPhiKap
02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Teams that will be seeded 4 and worse that may give Duke problems -- any Big East team, Arizona, Kansas St., Wisconsin, Kentucky.

Good list. Big East match-ups will be very interesting if they come to pass.

rsvman
02-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Richmond is not that good this year. The A-10 is having a pretty terrible year and Richmond has not impressed much.

They beat Purdue.

Jus' sayin.'

I'll add that it is folly to overlook the Colonial League teams such as George Mason (mentioned already) or Old Dominion (if they make the tournament; ask Notre Dame about their experience last year).

PADukeMom
02-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Doesn't the first sentence negate the second? :D

Not when you have seniors like Nolan & Kyle. While Kentucky was arguebly one of the most talented teams out there last year lack of experience & leadership was their downfall.

gam7
02-24-2011, 12:45 AM
So, below is a list of the teams mentioned only in this thread as teams we don't want to see in the tournament. Maybe a better question is: "Who do we want to play?"

1. Old Dominion
2. George Mason
3. Virginia Commonwealth
4. St. John's
5. UNC
6. Ohio State
7. Texas
8. Wisconsin
9. Butler
10. Missouri State
11. Cleveland State
12. Richmond