PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke vs. Virginia Tech 2/20 noon

DU82
02-20-2011, 09:12 AM
The women start the basketball doubleheader today at noon in Cameron. Virginia Tech comes in at the bottom of the ACC, winless until a recent road win against Clemson. Hopefully, playing the Hokies can cure the after effects of the flu and a horrible last few minutes against Maryland. While in a three way tie for first, we hold the tiebreakers to get the first seed, as long as we win out today, against Virginia on Thursday, and against the visiting Smurfs next Sunday.

If you have a ticket for the men's game tonight, you can purchase a GA ticket for the women's game for $2.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Regardless of how bad VT may be, Duke has got to show some offense, and early. I didn't get to watch or listen to the Maryland game, so I really can't make any valid opinions on what went wrong, but I can picture all that poor shooting in my head. At least this game should pad our schedule, but hopefully we can use it as one of the last opportunities we have to work on our O.
GO DUKE!!

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Chelsea Gray just went to the locker room after hurting her left knee or ankle. She looked to be in a lot of pain. :(

DU82
02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Not a great start, and now Chelsea Gray hurt her leg and was carried directly to the locker room.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Now 29-7...turning into a blowout quickly. The goal was to keep VT to under 40, I think they have a good chance.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
45-19 at half. Let up on D in the last 5 minutes or so. Still, the offense looks much more promising.

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 01:43 PM
With 4 minutes left to play, Crystal Thomas has 17 rebounds. The score is 81-37.:D

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Final score, 90 - 40. Happy Birthday Tricia Liston!

CameronBornAndBred
02-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Coach P announced in post game that Gray's injury is "a bad sprain"...so that's good news too.

Lid
02-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Coach P announced in post game that Gray's injury is "a bad sprain"...so that's good news too.
I'm very relieved about this. It looked bad when it happened, and I was quite surprised (but very pleased) to see her back on the bench midway through the 2nd half.

Krystal was an absolute monster on the boards today, and it was good to see people playing with some of their old confidence, particularly Haley and Tricia. Jasmine also looked more like herself than she has recently. Duke's pressure was just stifling today -- they forced 32 turnovers, I think, which is crazy. Good work by the women!

-jk
02-20-2011, 03:01 PM

I'm not sure a "bad sprain" is good news. Sprains can be nasty things...

-jk

stillcrazie
02-20-2011, 03:28 PM

-jk

Exactly. A bad sprain means some tearing of ligaments and bruising. I'd expect her to be out at least a week, depending on how bad it really is.

Indoor66
02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Exactly. A bad sprain means some tearing of ligaments and bruising. I'd expect her to be out at least a week, depending on how bad it really is.

I am no doctor, but if she tore ligaments, it will be longer than a week.

stillcrazie
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I am no doctor, but if she tore ligaments, it will be longer than a week.

I know. I was being (overly) optimistic. I had a bad sprain last year (turned my ankle jogging) and it was months before I could jog again with a brace on. But I did not have access to the Duke sports medicine staff. Again, it really depends on the severity of the sprain, high vs. low, etc. Torn ligaments can be a very serious thing. Let's hope it's not too severe.

DU82
02-20-2011, 03:53 PM

-jk

A bad sprain beats a bad break!

She was putting some weight on it during timeputs, but used crutches to get off the court after the game. A high ankle sprain can take weeks to heal, so her availability for the ACC tournament is shaky right now. (this is speculation, based on other Duke players having a similar injury.)

jimsumner
02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
A bad sprain beats a bad break!

She was putting some weight on it during timeputs, but used crutches to get off the court after the game. A high ankle sprain can take weeks to heal, so her availability for the ACC tournament is shaky right now. (this is speculation, based on other Duke players having a similar injury.)

Early indications are bad sprain but Chelsea was going to undergo further testing. I would be very surprised to see her play again prior to the ACC Tournament and even that is optimistic.

jtelander
02-20-2011, 09:08 PM

In cases like this, I always wonder why the player returns to the bench rather than staying in the locker room or other location where the ankle can be iced and elevated.

stillcrazie
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
In cases like this, I always wonder why the player returns to the bench rather than staying in the locker room or other location where the ankle can be iced and elevated.

I thought the same thing! Otherwise the blood pools around the injury. Makes no sense to me.

miramar
02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
If Miami beats Wake at home tomorrow, then they will be in a three-way tie for first at 10-2 with Duke and FSU. Carolina is fourth at 8-3, but they play at NC State tomorrow. GTech is fifth at 8-4, while Maryland is sixth at 7-5.

Strange year.

Greg_Newton
02-21-2011, 05:52 AM
The front page isn't giving the girls enough credit. 90-40 is a fifty point win, not forty!

DevilWearsPrada
02-21-2011, 10:16 AM
On Duke radio yesterday, Said Chelsea was going with Dr Toth for xrays and possible MRI.

A sprain can be worse sometimes than a break. Chelsea just got over the flu. She didnt travel to MD turtle land.

GET WELL Chelsea!