PDA

View Full Version : The Shelden Williams trade

JasonEvans
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
According to reports, The Nets have dealt for Melo, Billups, Shelden, and someone else. Denver gets Devin Harris, Derrek Favors, Troy Murphy, and like 4 1st round draft picks.

I sure hope this role players the Knicks refused to deal turn into superstars or the Knicks may feel like fools for not making a deal.

--Jason "all of this is pending Melo agreeing to a 3-year extension with the Nets" Evans

Reilly
02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Since this is the Duke basketball report, shouldn't the thread title be changed:

"Shelden traded (almost) - Melo moving as part of the deal"

wilson
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
What's the record for most NBA teams in a career? Sheesh, Shelden's gotta be getting pretty close already:

Atlanta
Sacramento
Boston
Denver
New Jersey

That's a heck of a lot of bouncing around (waaay back and forth across the country, to boot) in only 4.5 seasons.

juise
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Since this is the Duke basketball report, shouldn't the thread title be changed:

"Shelden traded (almost) - Melo moving as part of the deal"

Yeah, I heard that the Nets were unhappy with their top-3 pick PF and were looking for a defensive presence in the post. The Nuggets were kind enough to throw in a scoring small forward. :p

Reilly
02-18-2011, 02:16 PM
What's the record for most NBA teams in a career? Sheesh, Shelden's gotta be getting pretty close already:

Atlanta
Sacramento
Boston
Denver
New Jersey

That's a heck of a lot of bouncing around (waaay back and forth across the country, to boot) in only 4.5 seasons.

... and Minnesota

Indoor66
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Atlanta
Sacramento
Boston
Denver
New Jersey

Actually, Candice likes to move a lot. :cool:

wilson
02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
... and MinnesotaGoodness. He was there for such a short time that I didn't even notice. That means that, with a total of 6 teams so far, he has now played for a new team an average of every 3/4 of a season (or 61.5 games).
According to this (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_NBA_basketball_player_played_for_the_most_tea ms_in_NBA_history), Joe Smith recently established a new record by suiting up for his 12th NBA team.
That means that, at his current rate, Shelden would break the record by hanging on for 9 1/2 years or so.
I'm not sure that we want him to break this record, and I'm also not sure why I've gone to the trouble of calculating all this. But I guess that making a very solid NBA living hither, thither, and yon is still a heck of a lot better than most folks are doing.

UrinalCake
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
What's the record for most NBA teams in a career? Sheesh, Shelden's gotta be getting pretty close already.

Jim Jackson played for 13 teams over his 14-year career. Shelden has a long way to go.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jim_jackson/career_stats.html

A positive way of looking at things would be that a lot of teams want him, but the more realistic answer is that the business side of the NBA dictates that a player's contract is as much a commodity as the player himself.

BD80
02-18-2011, 02:32 PM

I sure hope this role players the Knicks refused to deal turn into superstars or the Knicks may feel like fools for not making a deal.

--Jason "all of this is pending Melo agreeing to a 3-year extension with the Nets" Evans

How about Melo? What's left for the Nyets to build around Melo? Some hot WAGS, not much else.

Do the Pistons get to dump Rip in the deal?

UrinalCake
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
What does this do for Shelden's chances at getting some playing time? He was in a pretty crowded frontcourt in Denver.

Billy Dat
02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Melo has to approve the deal, this aint over yet.

Olympic Fan
02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Melo has to approve the deal, this aint over yet.

I gotta wonder if he goes along ... he's said before that he doesn't want to tie himself down in north Jersey/Brooklyn (where the team will be moving in a few years). And the deal strips so much from the Nets (FOUR first round picks?) that it's hard to see where they will be any better than the Nuggets for the foreseeable future. Okay, maybe the new CBA will provide enough cap room to add a free agent or two. Maybe ...

It's not like the rebuilt Nets could make a title run with Carmello this year.

Wouldn't he be better off to finish out the year in Denver, then simply sign with the Knicks -- where he wants to play, a team with a strong foundation now -- in the offseason?

I admit I'm not an NBA guru, so please somebody explain why Carmello would agree to this deal?

BD80
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
... maybe the new CBA will provide enough cap room to add a free agent or two. Maybe ...

... please somebody explain why Carmello would agree to this deal?

The owners are looking for protection against themselves - most want a more restrictive cap. Only a very few (the Knicks, Nyets, Heat, Lakers and maybe the Mavs and Celts) want a more free-market system. I really can't see NJ ever having enough cap room to get more than one really good FA player to help Melo.

Melo envisions himself a multimedia experience. He has been involved in rap and video productions. He is convinced he will be a very marketable commodity on the East Coast. Jay Z is a part owner of the Nets and is a force in the entertainment industry.

His wife LaLa is a "celebrity" who wants the New York life.

Melo is from Baltimore and had some VERY bad connections there. His stay in Denver was very good for him. I predict his old connections resurface and drag him down if he returns to the east coast.

Matches
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
If Melo can get traded in-season and work himself out an extension under the current CBA, it may be in his interest to do so. He may make more $ now than he would if he negotiates a new deal under a new CBA.

InSpades
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
According to reports, The Nets have dealt for Melo, Billups, Shelden, and someone else. Denver gets Devin Harris, Derrek Favors, Troy Murphy, and like 4 1st round draft picks.

I don't know how you fault the Knicks here. If this deal is a real possibility then how would the Knicks have been able to match this offer? Nothing the Knicks had put forward was ever anywhere near what the Nets were offering. The only way he was going to the Knicks was if he refused to sign elsewhere (which I guess is still on the table).

If Melo can get traded in-season and work himself out an extension under the current CBA, it may be in his interest to do so. He may make more $ now than he would if he negotiates a new deal under a new CBA.

Agreed. The only reason there's any real chance of a deal is the new CBA potentially hurting Carmello's payday. If there was no change in CBA then he'd just play out the half year left and go wherever he wants (or accept a rental agreement with a contender for a half-season).

94duke
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Carmelo Anthony says that he has no knowledge of a meeting with the Nets.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/nba/02/18/carmelo.meeting.ap/index.html

BD80
02-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Only one of the first round picks will be an original pick of the Nets (I think teams are still prohibited to trade their 1st round picks in consecutive years).

The picks are:

2011 Nets (currently 6)

2011 Rockets - lottery protected (currently 12)

2012 Warriors - top 7 protected (currently 11)

2012 Lakers - top 18 protected (currently 25)

This would be a great deal for the Nuggets, currently drafting 18, but would move up in the draft quickly without Melo.

Des Esseintes
02-18-2011, 03:31 PM

I doubt the Knicks will look like fools. If the reports are true, Billy King--with Prokhorov pushing him--is executing a franchise-destroying trade. New Jersey is trading away almost everything of value from its team. What remains will be Anthony and Lopez, who has regressed dramatically this year. Anthony is a fine player, but to compare him to LBJ, Wade, Kobe, etc. is madness. He scores, rather inefficiently, and contributes nothing else. Again, fine player, and for the right price, I'd love to have him. But not a top 5 guy. Not close.

New Jersey won't be able to bring in new talent either. The draft picks are gone. Anthony's extension will be monstrous, capping the team out--and that is under today's CBA. Under next year's, when the new agreement takes hold with whatever draconian restrictions the owners have been able to force upon the union? It could very well ruin the Nets for half a decade.

-bdbd
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Arguments for Carmelo agreeing to the deal:
1. Can renegotiate an extended deal, especially pre-CBA-agreement, andestablish some(greater) financial security.
2. Gets him closer to his home - family in Baltimore and school in Syrsacuse.
3. Gets him to NYC, where it will be a lot easier to market himself - think exposure and marketing/endorsement deals. That alone could be of greater $$ impact than anything. Denver, for all of the nice things about it for quality of life, etc, is a SMALL MARKET and remote from the media centers of NY, LA, Chicago, etc.
4. Gets his wife to NYC where the "bright lights" are calling.
5. Finally, some stability!
6. Gets his chance to play under Billy King. :p

I have to believe that this trade would be very good news for Sheldon, as the reconstituted Nets would be a lot thinner than Dnever is currently. Greater court time seems inevitable. Where does Candice play now, and where is their "home"?

BTW, it'll be very interesting to see what role Billy King played in all of this for his Nets team. :confused:

P.S. Is Zoubs still connected to the Nets at all? He came very close to making them in the preseason, pre-injury. Is he ready for a return yet, and might the Nets connection still be there (as they suddenly seem thin up front...).

Billy Dat
02-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I admit I'm not an NBA guru, so please somebody explain why Carmello would agree to this deal?

If Carmelo agrees, it is about nothing more than money. Even though he has already made $60MM in his career, I can't fault him for wanting as much as he can get. BUT, if he says it was for anything more than money/security, he is not telling the whole story.

UrinalCake
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Could someone in the know explain to me exactly why he's so unhappy with Denver?

duke74
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
I doubt the Knicks will look like fools. If the reports are true, Billy King--with Prokhorov pushing him--is executing a franchise-destroying trade. New Jersey is trading away almost everything of value from its team. What remains will be Anthony and Lopez, who has regressed dramatically this year. Anthony is a fine player, but to compare him to LBJ, Wade, Kobe, etc. is madness. He scores, rather inefficiently, and contributes nothing else. Again, fine player, and for the right price, I'd love to have him. But not a top 5 guy. Not close.

New Jersey won't be able to bring in new talent either. The draft picks are gone. Anthony's extension will be monstrous, capping the team out--and that is under today's CBA. Under next year's, when the new agreement takes hold with whatever draconian restrictions the owners have been able to force upon the union? It could very well ruin the Nets for half a decade.

And, if the reports were true, the Nuggets would be getting 3 or 4 starters from the Knicks, including Gallo, Fields, Felton and Chandler. While Billups would help in the ST, it would be Amare, Melo, Billups and ???.

As a Knicks fan, while Melo would be a great addition to Amare (you need >1 star these days)... at that price? Not sure.

loran16
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Could someone in the know explain to me exactly why he's so unhappy with Denver?

It's more that he wants to play in NY, really. And if he doesn't sign a deal with NY before the end of this year, his chance at getting a nice salary may decline under a new CBA (after a potential lockout).

Odds are good that deals prior to a lockout/new-cba will be honored afterwards. So he wants a deal with the knicks now. Of course, the knicks have no incentive to break the bank for him when he wants to come to them anyhow.

Billy Dat
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
And, if the reports were true, the Nuggets would be getting 3 or 4 starters from the Knicks, including Gallo, Fields, Felton and Chandler. While Billups would help in the ST, it would be Amare, Melo, Billups and ???.

As a Knicks fan, while Melo would be a great addition to Amare (you need >1 star these days)... at that price? Not sure.

If we (Knicks fan too) can get Melo and Billups for Curry's expiring, Gallo, Fields, Felton and a #1 acquired for Anthony Randolph, we have to do it. We need another star to team with Amare for the next 4 years. While I don't think a coach like D'Antoni can get the team to a title because he is so non-defensive focused, I think Melo is a good fit for his offensive style. That would leave us with Amare, Melo, Billups, Chandler, Mozgov with Turiaf, T.Douglas, Billy Walker and Shawne Williams off the bench. That will be enough to hold on to our first playoff birth in eons. In the offseason, aside from re-signing Chandler, they'll look to add another big to shore up the front line, and maybe there is enough firepower to win a playoff series. That leads to the 2012 offseason when we hope the Amare/Melo duo attracts free agent Chris Paul or Deron Williams - or we make a deal for new #1 pick Kyrie Irving after he teams with the brothers Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Seth Curry Andre Dawkins, Tyler Thornton, Josh Hairston, and a couple rookies including a kid out of Winter Park, FL, to lead Duke to a title in his sophomore year

ajgoodfella7
02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
That would be a terrible trade. First, Chauncey Billups has already stated (at least behind the scenes) that he doesn't want to leave Denver months ago and would rather retire. Second, the Nets are trading away 4 first round picks and 2 of its 3 best players from a team that has absolutely no depth as it is. And third, why would Melo ever want to go to a team that is basically the Denver Nuggets divided by two. This Nets team isn't as talented as the team Melo would be leaving.

Now if Melo really wants that extension, then he will have it. But he would have no one to blame but himself for spending the next three and a half years on an average team.

But, I just can't see it happening anyway. I still think Melo doesn't sign anywhere but New York, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

JasonEvans
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
That would be a terrible trade. First, Chauncey Billups has already stated (at least behind the scenes) that he doesn't want to leave Denver months ago and would rather retire. Second, the Nets are trading away 4 first round picks and 2 of its 3 best players from a team that has absolutely no depth as it is. And third, why would Melo ever want to go to a team that is basically the Denver Nuggets divided by two. This Nets team isn't as talented as the team Melo would be leaving.

Now if Melo really wants that extension, then he will have it. But he would have no one to blame but himself for spending the next three and a half years on an average team.

But, I just can't see it happening anyway. I still think Melo doesn't sign anywhere but New York, but I guess we'll see soon enough.

Melo should go to LA. The Lakers could get him for Andrew Bynum.

-Jason

ajgoodfella7
02-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Melo should go to LA. The Lakers could get him for Andrew Bynum.

-Jason

I agree that if Melo will sign on, LA would be an ideal fit for him. I like Andrew Bynum, but I think if LA can get Melo, they have to make it happen.

Son of Mojo
02-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Rumored condition to Carmelo accepting the deal is that the Nets have to establish getting another strong post presence and is pushing for Brian Zoubek to be signed under the terms of his summer league deal to seal the deal. :cool: :D

OZZIE4DUKE
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Y'all have me confused. Is he going to the Knicks or the Nets? And how does Shelden fit into all this and is it good for him? Is Shelden healthy and will he finally get some playing time?

Oriole Way
02-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Y'all have me confused. Is he going to the Knicks or the Nets? And how does Shelden fit into all this and is it good for him? Is Shelden healthy and will he finally get some playing time?

I think he'll go to the Knicks. He clearly would much rather play there than for the Nets, and I can't blame him. Even though the Nets will be in Brooklyn soon, the Knicks have more history to them, and more importantly, he's not going to win squat with Brook Lopez and Anthony Morrow as his supporting cast.

The Nuggets were using New Jersey's most recent offer to put pressure on the Knicks. Now that the Kinicks have included Danilo Gallinari, who the Nuggets covet, I think the deal will get done since the Nuggets would be getting enough back, and Melo will be signing off on the deal. The Nuggets would be foolish not to accept either deal at this point, provided Melo gives his approval.

Shelden will likely get a minor bump in minutes either way, but obviously that's not saying much since he gets no PT now. I think he could see anywhere from 10-15 minutes a night since both teams are short on PF's off the bench, and maybe more on nights when there's foul trouble.

phaedrus
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Shelden was traded to the Knicks tonight for Felton, Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and a couple others. Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups were thrown in too, probably to make the numbers work.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17443219

moonpie23
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
looks like the knicks...

Son of Mojo
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Shelden was traded to the Knicks tonight for Felton, Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and a couple others. Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups were thrown in too, probably to make the numbers work.

Shows how they were in dire need of a defensive stopper like the Landlord is.

moonpie23
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM

this is good...no?

duke74
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
looks like the knicks...

Being reported by the Denver Post as done.

Krzyzewskiville
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Got rid of the TARHEEL, got the Dukie...

duke74
02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
NBA

DENVER (WABC) -- The Denver Post reports that Carmelo Anthony has been traded to the New York Knicks.

The Post said that according to a league source, Denver will get Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash in return.

Anthony heads to New York with Sheldon Williams, Anthony Carter, Chauncy Billups and Renaldo Balkman.

Greg_Newton
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
WOW, a non-minor detail of this for Shelden is that the Knicks are reportedly also shipping off Eddie Curry and Anthony Randolph to Minnesota (?) as part of the deal.

This means that PFs/Cs on the new roster = Amare Stoudamire, Ronny Turiaf and Sheldon Williams, unless I'm missing something here.

ajgoodfella7
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
NBA

DENVER (WABC) -- The Denver Post reports that Carmelo Anthony has been traded to the New York Knicks.

The Post said that according to a league source, Denver will get Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash in return.

Anthony heads to New York with Sheldon Williams, Anthony Carter, Chauncy Billups and Renaldo Balkman.

That is a lot to give up for the Knicks, but they had to make this deal. Denver did a good job getting the best deal they could under the circumstances.

Krzyzewskiville
02-21-2011, 10:51 PM
WOW, a non-minor detail of this for Sheldon is that the Knicks are reportedly also shipping off Eddie Curry and Anthony Randolph to Minnesota (?) as part of the deal.

This means that PFs/Cs on the new roster = Amare Stoudamire, Ronny Turiaf and Sheldon Williams, unless I'm missing something here.

They're going to sign a 7" by the name of Earl Barron he finished the season last year with the Knicks and averaged 10 and 10. Extra depth off the bench. That sounds crazy I know but he played pretty decent last year. haha. Im from Ny. I watch every game. Billups is going to be the biggest get for this season. I playoff/championship experience pg is what we been itching for.

BD80
02-21-2011, 11:03 PM
NBA

So instead of the Twolves 2011 1st rounder that the Knicks own, the Nuggets get the Knicks 2014 pick (which shouldn't be very high), (7'-1") Mozgov, a couple of 2nd rounders, and $3 million? I guess the Nuggets outwaited the Knicks.

Also, the Nuggets take on Felton in spite of having Lawson, who was doing well enough to make Billups expendible. I don't know that Felton plays defense that well. It will be fun watching tarheel Karl deal with two spoiled tarheel pgs vying for minutes.

duke74
02-21-2011, 11:18 PM
So instead of the Twolves 2011 1st rounder that the Knicks own, the Nuggets get the Knicks 2014 pick (which shouldn't be very high), (7'-1") Mozgov, a couple of 2nd rounders, and $3 million? I guess the Nuggets outwaited the Knicks.

Also, the Nuggets take on Felton in spite of having Lawson, who was doing well enough to make Billups expendible. I don't know that Felton plays defense that well. It will be fun watching tarheel Karl deal with two spoiled tarheel pgs vying for minutes.

Gallo is the loss for the Knicks in my view. A poor man's Dirk. Felton has been playing pretty well for the Knicks. He's just wearing down from the minutes so far. Mozgov raw, but showed flashes. The rumors here are that Walsh and D'Antoni wanted to keep him. This was Dolan dying to get this done.

Wonder when Isiah starts taking credit for this....

SuperTurkey
02-21-2011, 11:22 PM
They're going to sign a 7" by the name of Earl Barron

Dude is 7 inches tall? I could post him up!

BluePanda
02-21-2011, 11:39 PM
So... looking at the new Knicks roster after they gutted it to get Melo, looks like Sheldon Williams may finally get some playing time?

moonpie23
02-21-2011, 11:47 PM
Shelden might get some too...

BD80
02-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Gallo is the loss for the Knicks in my view. A poor man's Dirk. Felton has been playing pretty well for the Knicks. He's just wearing down from the minutes so far. Mozgov raw, but showed flashes. The rumors here are that Walsh and D'Antoni wanted to keep him. This was Dolan dying to get this done.

Wonder when Isiah starts taking credit for this....

About 3 days ago ...

Mcluhan
02-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Don't look now, but Shelden might be starting for the New York Knicks.

InSpades
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Don't look now, but Shelden might be starting for the New York Knicks.

It seems unlikely. Tauriaf was starting off and on before the trade. Seems like they will start Billups, Fields, 'Melo, Stoudemire and either Tauriaf or Shawne Williams. He should definitely get some run though.

The Knicks just don't seem to have a lot left after all this. Especially if Billups isn't happy and doesn't stick around very long.

wilson
02-22-2011, 12:06 AM
So if you take Durham to Atlanta as the first leg of Shelden's NBA journey, his career has now covered a total of 9,985 miles.
That's a hair above 40% of the way around the earth. Or a round trip from Moscow to Tokyo and back, with 663 miles left over.
I have no idea what any of this means.

SuperTurkey
02-22-2011, 12:09 AM
So if you take Durham to Atlanta as the first leg of Shelden's NBA journey, his career has now covered a total of 9,985 miles.
That's a hair above 40% of the way around the earth. Or a round trip from Moscow to Tokyo and back, with 663 miles left over.
I have no idea what any of this means.

Well, it's positive in that he's still in league and people keep giving him a shot, but it's negative in that he hasn't found a consistent role and a long term (in NBA terms) home.

wilson
02-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, it's positive in that he's still in league and people keep giving him a shot, but it's negative in that he hasn't found a consistent role and a long term (in NBA terms) home.I don't think he's had any chance to find a consistent, comfortable role! 6 teams in 4.5 years, back and forth across the country basically three times? It's just kind of weird. He's obviously got some value, or he wouldn't keep getting traded; he'd just fade into bolivion (thank you, Mike Tyson). It's just borderline mystifying that he has had literally no chance to put down roots anywhere.

YourLandlord
02-22-2011, 12:32 AM
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/images/admin/shelden_welcome.jpg

there's nothing you can’t do,
now you're in New York,
these streets will make you feel brand new,
big lights will inspire you

sagegrouse
02-22-2011, 12:44 AM

What's attractive for the Nuggets is the ability to trade Felton (or maybe Lawson) over the next few days and get some more help in the front court. Felton has been playing really well for the Knicks. Who needs a point guard that is willing to give up a really good player?

sagegrouse

Andy7207
02-22-2011, 01:11 AM
You have to think that the Knicks are looking at either Chris Paul or Derron Williams as soon as their contracts expire... with one of them at PG and Billups as a backup, it looks like the Knicks are going places.

Mozyb
02-22-2011, 01:20 AM
It seems the Knicks plan on bringing in Chris Paul or Derron Williams for next year. Felton was realistically only a year rental for them and Billups fits that role now. He'll probably retire soon. Tony Douglas will remain the backup for the foreseeable future. Either way this is a great move for Sheldan. He moves into a situation where he can get reliable minutes of the bench. There isn't too much competition for him and he might just be able to find a home finally.

juise
02-22-2011, 01:34 AM
I'm not sure whether to be happy because his defense will be valued by a coach whose teams are always somewhat lacking in defense... or disappointed because you have to be able to score in D'Antoni's system. Good luck to Shelden in NYC.

(Or is it Sheldun/Sheldin? This thread is running out of vowels to put in place of the last "e.")

Turtleboy
02-22-2011, 02:49 AM
NBA

Am I missing something? What do the Warriors have to do with it?

El_Diablo
02-22-2011, 06:57 AM
Am I missing something? What do the Warriors have to do with it?

Nothing. The Knicks already had the Golden State draft picks from the David Lee sign-and-trade.

timmy c
02-22-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm not sure whether to be happy because his defense will be valued by a coach whose teams are always somewhat lacking in defense... or disappointed because you have to be able to score in D'Antoni's system. Good luck to Shelden in NYC.

(Or is it Sheldun/Sheldin? This thread is running out of vowels to put in place of the last "e.")

I think he's changing his name to Sheldyn.

Matches
02-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Felton got some time at the "2" when he was in Charlotte. Perhaps Karl will play them together some.

I agree a trade is more likely, though. Wonder if the Lakers have a piece or two that Denver could use?

DukieInBrasil
02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

Don't forget his twin, Sheldon! Mama Williams musta been real tired after the quintuplets of Shelden, Sheldon, Sheldin, Sheldun and Sheldyn arrived.
In all seriousness, I hope he gets a chance to show his worth despite the fact that D'Antoni doesn't have much use for defense. A good defensive play can start a nice fast-break, which D'Antoni certainly appreciates, so maybe Shel can make his mark that way.

Starter
02-22-2011, 08:56 AM
It's a horrible day for the Knicks. And I'm a Knicks fan. (If anyone's interested, and it seems like some might be, here's my explanation (http://www.sportsangle.com/2011/02/dolan-out-punishment-knicks-trade-their-soul-for-carmelo/) of why.)

As for Shelden, I'm a fan too, but I'll be honest: I just don't think he has it in him to be a starting NBA player. (Sorry!) He actually started 32 games this year since Denver's two other power forwards were both injured; he averaged under 6 points per game, doesn't really block shots and has been below-average in PER every year of his career. He might play some in New York -- especially since they gutted the team unnecessarily -- but it's hard to expect him to be anything more than a reasonably capable rebounder when he's out there. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- it keeps getting him signed, he's made over $10 million in the NBA, and he's married to Candace Parker (unrelated, but still awesome. I love Candace Parker). I just wouldn't expect him all of a sudden to be thrown hip-deep into anyone's rotation.

moonpie23
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
shel was actually trending last night for a while.....as "SHELDON WILLIAMS".....

he was getting ripped for the most part, but still.....he was trending....

Starter
02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
That's the thing though: No need to rip him (and I hope I didn't come off as doing that). Shelden fills a role, and it's one desired by teams. He'll never play like a No. 5 pick in the draft, but we know first-hand how hard he works, and it seems like he could stick around in the NBA for quite some time to come.

moonpie23
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
That's the thing though: No need to rip him (and I hope I didn't come off as doing that). Shelden fills a role, and it's one desired by teams. He'll never play like a No. 5 pick in the draft, but we know first-hand how hard he works, and it seems like he could stick around in the NBA for quite some time to come.

kwame has...

BD80
02-22-2011, 09:26 AM
You have to think that the Knicks are looking at either Chris Paul or Derron Williams as soon as their contracts expire... with one of them at PG and Billups as a backup, it looks like the Knicks are going places.

They need to use Billups' expiring contract ($12 mil) next year to get Paul or Williams.

Billups has been a boon to Melo, providing a mentor that Melo REALLY needs - Chauncey was on the Olympic team when Melo was considered the best player on a team that included LeBron, Kobe, DWade, Paul, Williams, and Howard. When Billups leaves the Knicks, there will be no one to assume the mantle of leadership, no one Melo respects. Stoudamire is NOT a leader. Paul has not shown any maturity. This could become a case of the inmates running the asylum, I feel for D'Antonio. I don't see Melo having the character to succeed in NY City.

Billy Dat
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
It's a horrible day for the Knicks. And I'm a Knicks fan. (If anyone's interested, and it seems like some might be, here's my explanation (http://www.sportsangle.com/2011/02/dolan-out-punishment-knicks-trade-their-soul-for-carmelo/) of why.)

As for Shelden, I'm a fan too, but I'll be honest: I just don't think he has it in him to be a starting NBA player. (Sorry!) He actually started 32 games this year since Denver's two other power forwards were both injured; he averaged under 6 points per game, doesn't really block shots and has been below-average in PER every year of his career. He might play some in New York -- especially since they gutted the team unnecessarily -- but it's hard to expect him to be anything more than a reasonably capable rebounder when he's out there. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- it keeps getting him signed, he's made over $10 million in the NBA, and he's married to Candace Parker (unrelated, but still awesome. I love Candace Parker). I just wouldn't expect him all of a sudden to be thrown hip-deep into anyone's rotation.

Having watched Shelden's pro career pretty closely, I have to side with Starter on his assessment of Shel. The kid has, by NBA standards, gotten a lot of chances with both championship caliber teams (e.g. Celtics), horrible teams (e.g. TWolves) and everything in between (e.g. Atlanta, Denver). His problem will always be that he plays a 7 footers game in a 6'9" body. Bigs his size, like Big Baby Davis, play a much more dynamic all around game generally out-quicking bigger guys. Shel is small and slow for an NBA 4. Sadly, I see the Knicks going small and Shelden only seeing light if there is serious foul trouble up front. I hope I am wrong.

Starter, as a fellow Knick fan I read your article (nicely done) and can't disagree with any of it, but I guess I have accepted that until Dolan sells the team, this is the kind of stuff that's going to go on. I am glad we made the move as the Amare/D'Antoni window is 4 years and we just went all in. God help us if Zeke is back in the GM seat next year, but the sanity ship left the port of 33rd and 7th a long time ago...thank god we had a few years of grown up leadership to set us up the way we are now.

Starter
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
They need to use Billups' expiring contract ($12 mil) next year to get Paul or Williams.

Billups has been a boon to Melo, providing a mentor that Melo REALLY needs - Chauncey was on the Olympic team when Melo was considered the best player on a team that included LeBron, Kobe, DWade, Paul, Williams, and Howard. When Billups leaves the Knicks, there will be no one to assume the mantle of leadership, no one Melo respects. Stoudamire is NOT a leader. Paul has not shown any maturity. This could become a case of the inmates running the asylum, I feel for D'Antonio. I don't see Melo having the character to succeed in NY City.

That's a fundamental problem with this deal -- Felton has been very good this season and is eight years younger (!) than Billups. He could have been a trade chip for Paul or Williams. A 36-year-old Chauncey Billups really only has value in his enormous expiring contract.

I differ on only one thing here, which is that Stoudemire has proven to be an excellent leader this season for the Knicks. He's earned a great deal of respect from me, and has really grown up a whole lot since the "Six Seconds or Less" days. (And I'd love if we added another inmate, and it was Chris Paul.) But I do think there's a decent chance both Amar'e and Carmelo are swallowed up by the rampant dysfunction at the front office and ownership levels.

Interesting side note: Through researching this trade, four of the guys the Knicks sent to Denver randomly have pictures I took on their Wikipedia pages.

:(

flyingdutchdevil
02-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Because Patrick Ewing's Gold Club Trial certainly shows that he has top character. And I'm pretty sure he succeeded in NYC.

If you're a great offensive player, which Melo is, then you can easily succeed in NYC. I don't think that the fans will instantaneously fall in love with him, but they inevitably will (give it 2 weeks ;)).

However, I agree with you on the importance of Billups as a leader to this leaderless Knicks team. Depending on how they do this year (and next), I could see Billups staying with the Knicks as a back-up PG after the 2012 season. After all, he will be 36 by the start of the 2012-2013 season.

Billy Dat
02-22-2011, 09:43 AM

I disagree with this assessment. No matter what happened before this year, Amare has been a great leader for the Knicks this year. He stepped into the hot white light of NYC and proclaimed himself the leader from the moment he signed and has been nothing short of spectacular on and off the court and in the locker room. As a Knick fan, he has been an awesome surprise, far better than anyone expected in all aspects. I also think your are being a bit harsh on Chris Paul. While he displays some punkish behavior on the court, the guy is pretty universally loved by his teammates, coaches and the communities in which he plays. If he wants to come to NY, too, let me be the first to roll out the red carpet. As for Melo/Billups - they'll still be together through next year. I think Melo is more mature than you give him credit for, most people, including his coach, think he handled the past few months about as well as they could have been handled considering the circumstances. Yeah, he created the circumstances, but that comes down to a matter of whether you think players should take that kind of active control over their fates...personally, I think they should.

UrinalCake
02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
According to this article (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6148502), it looks like Shelden is currently the first big man off the bench for the Knicks and could get significant playing time. However, they are continuing to explore trades to bring in another center.