PDA

View Full Version : A Bama fan's lack of class

epoulsen
02-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Did anyone see this:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/16/alabama.auburn.trees/index.html?hpt=C2

This is terrible, that'd be like a Duke/NC State student killing the oak that UNC was allegedly founded under (and all the clones of this tree that they have spread through out their campus). As mentioned in the article the trees will more than likely die. I just hope UMd doesn't get any ideas re: our Duke Gardens, something like this is right up their alley.

mkline09
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Did anyone see this:

This is terrible, that'd be like a Duke/NC State student killing the oak that UNC was allegedly founded under (and all the clones of this tree that they have spread through out their campus). As mentioned in the article the trees will more than likely die. I just hope UMd doesn't get any ideas re: our Duke Gardens, something like this is right up their alley.

Saw that too. I wasn't impressed with the "class" demonstrated by some Bama fans when they played Duke in football and all this just reinforces my negative opinion of some of those fans. Just awful. Not sure Maryland fans would be this bad and that is saying something.

Jderf
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Saw that too. I wasn't impressed with the "class" demonstrated by some Bama fans when they played Duke in football and all this just reinforces my negative opinion of some of those fans. Just awful. Not sure Maryland fans would be this bad and that is saying something.

Personally, I hesitate to condemn the entire fan-base due purely to the classless actions of one rabid fan. That said, it is definitely a tragedy for a university to lose one of its traditions and symbols. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if someone damaged the facade of the chapel or Cameron or anything like that.

JasonEvans
02-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Did anyone see this:

Disgusting. Pathetic. Awful.

At the very least, I hope Bama or Bama fans offer to reimburse Auburn for the cost of trying to save the trees. This is just horrible fan behavior.

--Jason "stay classy, Tide..." Evans

mkline09
02-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Personally, I hesitate to condemn the entire fan-base due purely to the classless actions of one rabid fan. That said, it is definitely a tragedy for a university to lose one of its traditions and symbols. I couldn't imagine how I'd feel if someone damaged the facade of the chapel or Cameron or anything like that.

Not meaning to condemn the entire fan base. Was speaking directly to the classlessness that I experienced at the football game and how it correlates to this action. Not all Alabama fans are bad, just like all Maryland fans and unc fans aren't bad and all Duke fans aren't good. But there are certainly a segment in any fan base that is an embarrassment and this guy fits the bill.

4decadedukie
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Last year, immediately before Alabama played at Wade, several Tide fans – one especially – were very gracious in various DBR threads. While this idiot’s actions are awful and reprehensible, I cannot condemn all Alabama fans, any more than I could criticize all Crazies because a week (or so) ago someone in Cameron had the poor judgment and awful sportsmanship to use a laser pointer (immediately thrown out, which is entirely appropriate).

epoulsen
02-17-2011, 10:22 AM
sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that all bama fans condoned this, there's always one in every group that makes the fan base cringe and hang their heads

Dev11
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Last year, immediately before Alabama played at Wade, several Tide fans – one especially – were very gracious in various DBR threads. While this idiot’s actions are awful and reprehensible, I cannot condemn all Alabama fans, any more than I could criticize all Crazies because a week (or so) ago someone in Cameron had the poor judgment and awful sportsmanship to use a laser pointer (immediately thrown out, which is entirely appropriate).

Agreed. I ventured over to the Alabama RV lot before the football game in September and talked to a few groups, all of whom were very gracious and were interested to talk to some Duke students.

This was a really stupid thing for the one Bama fan to do, and hopefully the two schools can come together to solve the problem.

OldPhiKap
02-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I spent a lot of time with Alabama fans prior to our game this year, and to a person found them to be very nice and bright fans. Several even went out of their way to try (both before and after the game) to point out what we did well or what they were worried about, which is kind given the absolute mauling they threw down on us. Very nice things to say about our campus and the students they encountered.

One idiot does not a fan base make. but whoever did this should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

(PS. One of the posters here was "banjeaux" from the RollTide board -- very respectful poster IIRC).

Danke Shane
02-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Apparently they have arrested the guy already:
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/02/17/alabama-police-arrest-tree-poisoning-suspect-has-kids-named-bear-and-crimson/

Allegedly, the guy has kids named "Bear" and "Crimson"... classy.

hudlow
02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
This has nothing to do with class. It's sick and criminal.

Glad the guy was caught. I hope they make an example of him.

DMV2434
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/02/17/alabama-police-arrest-tree-poisoning-suspect-has-kids-named-bear-and-crimson/

This guy seems to be a Grade A idiot. He called in a local sports radio show saying he did it. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6131518)

mkline09
02-17-2011, 01:31 PM
This guy seems to be a Grade A idiot. He called in a local sports radio show saying he did it. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=6131518)

Sounds like he might be a little off his rocker.

BD80
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Perhaps it is unfair to judge the entire Bama fanbase by the actions of one moron, but it is fair to judge the entire fanbase by the fanbase's reaction to the incident. Are they uniformly critical of the act, or is there an undercurrent of approval? Do they step up to do what they can to make up for the damage?

Case in point: Maryland. Perhaps it is unfair to judge them for the actios of a few, but it is entirely fair to judge them lacking in class for failing to take significant action to curtail such actions - unless choosing to become irrelevant in ACC basketball is the plan to tone down hooliganistic fans.

mkline09
02-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Perhaps it is unfair to judge the entire Bama fanbase by the actions of one moron, but it is fair to judge the entire fanbase by the fanbase's reaction to the incident. Are they uniformly critical of the act, or is there an undercurrent of approval? Do they step up to do what they can to make up for the damage?

Case in point: Maryland. Perhaps it is unfair to judge them for the actios of a few, but it is entirely fair to judge them lacking in class for failing to take significant action to curtail such actions - unless choosing to become irrelevant in ACC basketball is the plan to tone down hooliganistic fans.

You make a good point here.

killerleft
02-17-2011, 02:02 PM

There is no "perhaps" about it. It is totally unfair to judge Bama fans because of the actions of ne idiot. People are people, and the large majority of Alabama fans will join the rest of us in condemning such a heinous act.

I wouldn't be surprised if U of Alabama did make some official gesture toward Auburn concerning the event. But to suggest that Alabama HAS to respond in a certain way to be considered good human neighbors or some such thing is misguided at best.

mkline09
02-17-2011, 02:10 PM
There is no "perhaps" about it. It is totally unfair to judge Bama fans because of the actions of ne idiot. People are people, and the large majority of Alabama fans will join the rest of us in condemning such a heinous act.

I wouldn't be surprised if U of Alabama did make some official gesture toward Auburn concerning the event. But to suggest that Alabama HAS to respond in a certain way to be considered good human neighbors or some such thing is misguided at best.

I agree with you that Alabama Having to respond a certain way might be misguided but I think it should be done and could go a long way in helping them seperate themselves from this idiot.

I know if a Duke fan did something this stupid Richard Broadhead, K, or Cutcliffe, whoever the coach, would be denouncing it and offering support, not that they necessarily felt like they had to but because it is just the right thing to do. I hope Alabama does say/ do something even if it isn't publicly.

Scorp4me
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree with those who say you can't judge an entire fan base by a single person or incident. Although it does get harder to ignore when the single incidents add up, but I digress.

It's unfair because it's fans in general these days. Heck it's people in general these days. This article seemed to hit on that. I'm sure there will be those that disagree, that's going too far, but I have to agree with it. Sad state we live in.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/feed/2011-02/trouble-at-auburn/story/man-poisoning-trees-at-toomers-corner-symbolic-of-sports-in-21st-century

MCFinARL
02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
I agree with you that Alabama Having to respond a certain way might be misguided but I think it should be done and could go a long way in helping them seperate themselves from this idiot.

I know if a Duke fan did something this stupid Richard Broadhead, K, or Cutcliffe, whoever the coach, would be denouncing it and offering support, not that they necessarily felt like they had to but because it is just the right thing to do. I hope Alabama does say/ do something even if it isn't publicly.

Agreed, it would be nice for the university to respond in some way. But it is a bit different from the Maryland situation. This guy is 62 years old, according to the news story--he isn't a current student or affiliated with the university, and he may not ever have attended Alabama (that isn't reported in the news stories). So I don't think the university has the same kind of responsibility to deal with this behavior that Maryland does when its students riot after games or when fans (students or not) who are attending games on the Maryland campus throw things at people or otherwise behave boorishly.

monkey
02-17-2011, 05:54 PM

If this is the guy, all I can say is: really? At age 62? Shouldn't you know better? A retired state trooper? Really?

Atlanta Duke
02-17-2011, 06:27 PM
If this is the guy, all I can say is: really? At age 62? Shouldn't you know better? A retired state trooper? Really?

Really - this guy drank the Bama Kool Aid - according to "one of his ex-wives" he has a daughter named Crimson and a son named Bear.

Auburn alum Charles Barkley sums it up - "We're from Alabama -- you can't make this s--- up."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=6132246

tecumseh
02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah this guy is not too clever. I was watching a program on the serial BTK killer and he asked the cops if he sent them a floppy disc would they be able to trace it. They replied, well no, of course they could and they caught him after he sent in a floppy disc and when they did he was upset that they had lied to him.

Amazing how the human brain can function or malfunction sometimes.

Newton_14
02-17-2011, 08:57 PM

According to local radio today, Bama Nation has come out and loudly condemmed this wacko for his idiotic actions. One Bama fan has already offered to pay to plant new trees should any of the tree's die. I have not scoured the Web yet for articles confirming this but it does sound like on the whole, Bama nation is heavily criticizing this criminal act.

From a personal standpoint, the Bama fans I encountered at the Duke game this year were very nice people. They were very cordial, and large numbers flocked to Cameron Indoor prior to the game to take pics and such. Many went up into the stands and just sat and soaked it in. Pretty cool. They were very fun to tailgate with as well. They pulled for their team without bad mouthing our team. That was my experience with them that day FWIW.

mapei
02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Glad the 'bama fans are reacting the way we would. What a disgusting act.

OTOH, I couldn't help but pick this description out of the article concerning the Auburn students' reaction:

"about 200 concerned students gathered at the oaks, throwing toilet paper"

Way to honor the poisoned icons, guys. Ah, to be 18 again.

cameroncrazy3104
02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Not meaning to condemn the entire fan base. Was speaking directly to the classlessness that I experienced at the football game and how it correlates to this action. Not all Alabama fans are bad, just like all Maryland fans and unc fans aren't bad and all Duke fans aren't good. But there are certainly a segment in any fan base that is an embarrassment and this guy fits the bill.

I live down in SEC country and there are plenty of Alabama fans in my area. I agree that not all of the alabama fans are not bad, but that is the last person you want to see regardless of if they win or lose. If they win they will boast until they lose their voice and if they lose they will complain until you force yourself to agree with them. I guess that is what you get when you live in an area where national signing day for football is a religious holiday

Wander
02-17-2011, 11:16 PM
OTOH, I couldn't help but pick this description out of the article concerning the Auburn students' reaction:

"about 200 concerned students gathered at the oaks, throwing toilet paper"

Way to honor the poisoned icons, guys. Ah, to be 18 again.

Don't jump too quickly, I'm pretty sure it's part of an Auburn tradition.

epoulsen
02-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Don't jump too quickly, I'm pretty sure it's part of an Auburn tradition.

it is part of their tradition after big wins, especially over Bama

Rudy
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
Alabama supporters raise money to help replace poisoned trees

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20110218/NEWS/110219575/1007?p=1&tc=pg

Lennies
02-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Copycat crime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Oak_(Austin,_Texas)

BleedsP287
02-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Sick. I hear he has been charged with criminal mischief, which is appropriate. I'd like to see him have to bear the financial cost of the pain he has caused as well. I'm a Master Gardener, really horrible when the innocent plants get it.

WAY too much hatred everywhere out there these days. Have to stamp that out and kill it wherever possible. [sarcasm alert].