PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Infamous Tempers

bluepenguin
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Bleacher Report has an article on the top ten college basket ball coach tempers: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8bs9

I guess it's no surprise that Coach K is on the list, but fer crying out loud, does this fallacy still exist: "It’s not too often that Coach K has a reason to be upset with the refs, as Duke general finds itself the beneficiary of many calls." How much longer do we have to put up with this before an intelligent sports commentator steps up and says "enough is enough?"

mkline09
02-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Bleacher Report has an article on the top ten college basket ball coach tempers: http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8bs9

I guess it's no surprise that Coach K is on the list, but fer crying out loud, does this fallacy still exist: "It’s not too often that Coach K has a reason to be upset with the refs, as Duke general finds itself the beneficiary of many calls." How much longer do we have to put up with this before an intelligent sports commentator steps up and says "enough is enough?"

I write for Bleacher report and am constantly battling this sentiment with facts that show the argument is flawed and just plain inaccurate. Some people just don't get it, just don't want to get it and no matter what you say and do will never get it. When I call them out there is usually silence because there is nothing they can say.

devildeac
02-15-2011, 10:47 AM

I write for Bleacher report and am constantly battling this sentiment with facts that show the argument is flawed and just plain inaccurate. Some people just don't get it, just don't want to get it and no matter what you say and do will never get it. When I call them out there is usually silence because there is nothing they can say.
Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iVKPUNoeI4

Nothing new but still NSFW/NSFC but has been linked/quoted here many times before.:D

epoulsen
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
another poster here made a comment which I now use.

Whenever someone says "Duke gets all the calls, the refs won the game for you"
I respond "I guess I'll just have to live with that"

It downplays their ignorant accusation and emphasizes the fact that we won the game and thats all that counts, regardless of what they think about how we won it.

mkline09
02-15-2011, 11:37 AM
another poster here made a comment which I now use.

Whenever someone says "Duke gets all the calls, the refs won the game for you"
I respond "I guess I'll just have to live with that"

It downplays their ignorant accusation and emphasizes the fact that we won the game and thats all that counts, regardless of what they think about how we won it.

I used that very argument at the Duke/State game when I sat with my brothers in front of some less than hospitable State fans. They kept screaming about Duke getting all the calls and how they were bought off. I looked to each of my brothers and said very clearly
"what is my money going toward? I pay these officials a lot of money and Duke has had more fouls called on them. What is going on?"

Later on these same fans were talking about how much better K was than Sidney Lowe and how he knew how to play and rotate his best players. I thought it was a pretty funny transition.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Later on these same fans were talking about how much better K was than Sidney Lowe and how he knew how to play and rotate his best players. I thought it was a pretty funny transition.

Anger
Denial
Acceptance.

(They may have jumped over bargaining. Mourning comes naturally).

mkline09
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Anger
Denial
Acceptance.

I think Acceptance has morphed into apathy at this point. They are more concerned with how Duke and Carolina fans perceive their program than the actual performance of the team these days.

moonpie23
02-15-2011, 12:01 PM
i loveed coach K's response to the question "do you think the officials were favoring duke?" after the 01 title..

Coach K: "well i certainly hope so"

classic..

wsb3
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
I thought the article was lame and if I did not know that we got all the calls I would have said that JJ got mugged on his drive to the basket with just seconds remaining.

I would have said the same in 2002 when Boozer was held on the last play of our season and the Indiana player was quoted as saying that he held about everything he could get hold of to prevent Boozer from scoring.

But I won't because we get all the calls.:D

camion
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Anger
Denial
Acceptance.

Over at IC they seem to be in an infinite loop.

Anger
Denial
Anger
Denial

I'm not holding my breath waiting for acceptance.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Anger
Denial
Anger
Denial

Kentucky fans have the same, except it's a Mobius strip.

mkline09
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Anger
Denial
Anger
Denial

Perhaps the folks over at IC have an undiagnosed bipolar condition? Extreme highs followed by crashing lows.

JG Nothing
02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

If working the referees does not benefit the way the game is called for your team, then why do coaches spend so much time working the referees? My guess is that coaches think they can affect the way the game is called at least to some degree.

I am not saying Duke does or does not get more calls then its opponent. However, it would not surprise me at all if coaches (like K) who know how to work the referees can gain at least a marginal advantage. It is all just part of the game.

killerleft
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
If working the referees does not benefit the way the game is called for your team, then why do coaches spend so much time working the referees? My guess is that coaches think they can affect the way the game is called at least to some degree.

I am not saying Duke does or does not get more calls then its opponent. However, it would not surprise me at all if coaches (like K) who know how to work the referees can gain at least a marginal advantage. It is all just part of the game.

I agree with you in a general sort of way. But since refs are going to keep making mistakes (just like the players and the coaches), the coaches are going to crab about the calls. Maybe that's one way they can feel they have some control over the proceedings.

hudlow
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Nobody could get mad like Lefty could.

He was great.

Indoor66
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Nobody could get mad like Lefty could.

He was great.

He had a great air kick.

Namtilal
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Bleacher Report. It's not worth linking to, ever. With nothing educated to say, bashing Duke is an easy way to get readers happy in mostly every article. I always groan when I click on a link and see their logo.

throatybeard
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
I misread the title "top ten infamous Terpers"

Newton_14
02-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I thought the article was lame and if I did not know that we got all the calls I would have said that JJ got mugged on his drive to the basket with just seconds remaining.

I would have said the same in 2002 when Boozer was held on the last play of our season and the Indiana player was quoted as saying that he held about everything he could get hold of to prevent Boozer from scoring.

Just remember guys, always fight hype with facts. This is why I love Mark Packer's ACC Index Card on fouls. Numbers don't lie. See link below. Note the number of fouls called against Duke compared to the others, as well as Duke Foul Shot Attempts compared to the others.
http://www.packsmack.com/InfamousACCIndexCard/

tommy
02-16-2011, 01:53 AM
The one guy who I just can't believe my eyes every time I see him is Frank Martin of Kansas State. It's not really even a temper, so maybe doesn't belong on this list. He apparently has only one emotion: rage. Not just anger, but rage. The lack of any sort of range of emotion is quite juvenile, really. He is constantly, and I mean constantly, absolutely screaming at his players, in his players' faces, with eyes bulging and neck veins popping. I can't understand why anyone would ever want to play for a guy like that, or why any parent would allow their son to do so.

There are lots of other guys with hot tempers, including of course guys like Bob Knight, Bob Huggins, and many others. But their ranting and raving is/was tempered by periods of calm. Not so with Martin. It's all screaming, all the time.

Of course, K can get pretty angry too, and he expresses it. The difference I see is that K yells at the team in the huddle. He never (that I recall) expresses that level of anger at an individual player, gets in that individual player's face, and embarrasses him, like Martin does constantly and like guys like Knight and Huggins do/did regularly.

jammsb
02-16-2011, 03:35 AM
It wasn't funny I guess. But I laugh every time I think of Lefty kicking the trash can and breaking his foot.

jammsb
02-16-2011, 03:43 AM
Although he wasn't particularly known for having a terrible temper, the one guy whose look was frightening when he was coaching Purdue was Gene Keady. Every time I looked at him I thought "ax murderer".

bluepenguin
02-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Just remember guys, always fight hype with facts. This is why I love Mark Packer's ACC Index Card on fouls. Numbers don't lie. See link below. Note the number of fouls called against Duke compared to the others, as well as Duke Foul Shot Attempts compared to the others.
http://www.packsmack.com/InfamousACCIndexCard/
If I read these stats correctly, looks like Dean is coaching the holes again!!!

bluepenguin
02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
It wasn't funny I guess. But I laugh every time I think of Lefty kicking the trash can and breaking his foot.
I remember that. And yes, it was funny.

jdj4duke
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
If I read these stats correctly, looks like Dean is coaching the holes again!!!

Last night- 12 PF called on UNC; only 25 called on Wake.

And the usual side note, UNC well under 20% from 3 pt, including HB at 1 of 8 and 7 of 20 overall. UNC not even 37% from the floor overall.

These guys really cannot throw it in the ocean.

JRH1010
02-16-2011, 09:32 AM

And the usual side note, UNC well under 20% from 3 pt, including HB at 1 of 8 and 7 of 20 overall. UNC not even 37% from the floor overall.

Hey guys. Long long long time UNC fan here. And you are right, the boys cant throw it in the ocean.

FerryFor50
02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

There was also the 31 - 17 FT advantage in their 2 point win against Clemson. Think that didn't affect the outcome of that game?

OldPhiKap
02-16-2011, 11:26 AM

That's why they're scheduling the game on the carrier.

-bdbd
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM

Hillarious!! Very good OPK! LOL!

This seems like a silly string. Everybody knows that only DUKE gets all of the calls, and the refs stole the Duke game from NC... Just go check IC if you have any doubts!!!

;) :D :cool:

JRH1010
02-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Hillarious!! Very good OPK! LOL!

This seems like a silly string. Everybody knows that only DUKE gets all of the calls, and the refs stole the Duke game from NC... Just go check IC if you have any doubts!!!

;) :D :cool:

I do, but would add to that "Duke get all the calls in Cameron" The refs choke on the whistle in that place, but they also choke on it in the Smith Center. Crowd factor is a factor or it wouldnt be called a crowd factor. They also tend to choke on it when either Duke or UNC are at another ACC venue, according to the NC State fan I work with : )

devildeac
02-16-2011, 02:25 PM

And, for that game, I hope they ARE able to throw it in the ocean. With great frequency:D.

devildeac
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I do, but would add to that "Duke get all the calls in Cameron" The refs choke on the whistle in that place, but they also choke on it in the Smith Center. Crowd factor is a factor or it wouldnt be called a crowd factor. They also tend to choke on it when either Duke or UNC are at another ACC venue, according to the NC State fan I work with : )

I think your State fan/co-worker may be half right with that opinion...:rolleyes:

JRH1010
02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I think your State fan/co-worker may be half right with that opinion...:rolleyes:

After seeing the beginning of the officiating at Little John, I think he might be on to something :cool:

JRH1010
02-16-2011, 02:56 PM

I politely reminded him that he was privy to those same calls in the Jimmy V days.

thenameisbond
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM

See also Okafor, Emeka.

hudlow
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
I remember that. And yes, it was funny.

I was in an aisle seat in Charlotte during the ACC tourney several years ago when Lefty came up the aisle. I stood up to greet and shake hands with the old coach. While I was speaking with him several people in the crowd shouted to him to show us his "stomp."

He was more than happy to, he loved the recognition and obliged us with a greatly exaggerated stomp which brought the house down.

Lefty was one of the most unique and temperamental individuals we've ever had the privilege of coaching in the ACC.

What a guy!