PDA

View Full Version : First Duke Basketball Game

frofan
02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
I'm from Buffalo, NY and have been a life long Duke fan. The only Duke game I've seen in person was when they came to Buffalo for the tourny in '07 and lost in the first round to VCU. I just found out my wife has a surprise for me this weekend and I have a feeling it may be tickets to the Georgia Tech game in Durham. I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to visit, see, eat, drink, etc.? We will be in town Saturday through Monday.

sweetchiba51
02-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Oh man this reminds me of my first time going to a Duke game! The first sight of the court brought tears to my eyes. I will never forget that game....we won of course!

mac46
02-15-2011, 10:59 AM
If you're a beer guy, be sure to eat at Tyler's Tap Room. It's on the Tobacco Campus.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
If you're a beer guy, be sure to eat at Tyler's Tap Room. It's on the Tobacco Campus.
And have a beer or two while you are there! It is nominally across from the DBAP (Durham Bulls Athletic Park). http://www.tylerstaproom.com/ There is free parking on weekends in the parking deck adjacent to the restaurant.

-bdbd
02-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm from Buffalo, NY and have been a life long Duke fan. The only Duke game I've seen in person was when they came to Buffalo for the tourny in '07 and lost in the first round to VCU. I just found out my wife has a surprise for me this weekend and I have a feeling it may be tickets to the Georgia Tech game in Durham. I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to visit, see, eat, drink, etc.? We will be in town Saturday through Monday.

Try to drive over and visit Chapel Hill briefly. It'll give you an appreciation of just how close (7 mi) and how nicw BOTH achools are - make sure that you drive along Franklin Street. In Durham there are several BBQ/southern food places that others on this board can suggest - those who are local to Durham. Bullocks comes to mind. Near East Campus there is a nice, refurbished tobacco warehouse that has been made into a pretty mall, called Brightleaf. Leave lots of time for walking around the campus - you can do it rushed in an hour, or more leisurely in several. Make sure that you walk the main Quad on West Campus, visit the interior of the Chapel (really a cathedral), see the Perkins Library, and the Bryant Center. The Bryant Center is a large student activities center near the Chapel, with a number of eateries, a post office, theatres, student book store (where you can stock up on Duke shirts, hats, notebooks, etc). Walk up to Cameron and visit some of the athletic buildings near CIS - Wallace Wade football stadium and the Yoh football center, baseball field, soccer/lax stadium, tennis facillities, etc.

I hope that is useful. Enjoy!

P.S. We used to live in Rochester, so I agree with the theme of escaping upstate in Feb.!!! (In Durham, they close the schools at about 1" of snow...)

HCheek37
02-15-2011, 11:24 AM
A few restaurant recs:

Parizade - really good mediterranean food just off of East campus, owners and hosts are very nice people and big duke fans!

Rue Cler - near the Marriott downtown, very very good menu for someone looking for food a step up from "bar food"

Chubbys - quick stop Mexican food, very authenic menu and great choices for salsas

Also, definitely check out the Duke team store in the Bryant center and the Nike team store in Card Gym right next to Cameron.

If you are in the market for autographs I'd stay around after the game (usually 45 min or so) and hang either inside of Cameron or in the courtyard near Kville where most of the players exit to their cars. They are usually very friendly with autographs especially on the weekends and, obviously, after a win.

Enjoy the game and especially pay attention to the things you dont see on TV - Crazy Towel Guy, student chants, pre game warmups, etc.

mac46
02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
In Durham there are several BBQ/southern food places that others on this board can suggest - those who are local to Durham.

I'm actually not really a Bullock's guy, but there are two key restaurants that I forgot. Elmo's Diner is great for breakfast. It's on Ninth Street, between Central Campus and East Campus.

Also, the Durham/North Carolina standard is a drivethru restaurant called Cookout, on Hillsborough Road. It's technically fast food, but it's the kind of burgers you'd grill up in your own backyard. If you don't eat there, at least stop by for a Cheerwine float.

Neals384
02-15-2011, 11:32 AM

Dude, this is Valentine's Week. No basketball for you - she has something romantic in mind. Probably a B&B in Niagara Falls, haha.

gvtucker
02-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Try to drive over and visit Chapel Hill briefly. It'll give you an appreciation of just how close (7 mi) and how nicw BOTH achools are - make sure that you drive along Franklin Street. In Durham there are several BBQ/southern food places that others on this board can suggest - those who are local to Durham. Bullocks comes to mind. Near East Campus there is a nice, refurbished tobacco warehouse that has been made into a pretty mall, called Brightleaf. Leave lots of time for walking around the campus - you can do it rushed in an hour, or more leisurely in several. Make sure that you walk the main Quad on West Campus, visit the interior of the Chapel (really a cathedral), see the Perkins Library, and the Bryant Center. The Bryant Center is a large student activities center near the Chapel, with a number of eateries, a post office, theatres, student book store (where you can stock up on Duke shirts, hats, notebooks, etc). Walk up to Cameron and visit some of the athletic buildings near CIS - Wallace Wade football stadium and the Yoh football center, baseball field, soccer/lax stadium, tennis facillities, etc.

I hope that is useful. Enjoy!

P.S. We used to live in Rochester, so I agree with the theme of escaping upstate in Feb.!!! (In Durham, they close the schools at about 1" of snow...)

Not to be all pedantic, but since Joseph and Kathleen BRYAN (not Bryant) gave so much to the university, not just to the BRYAN Center, I thought I should correct the above.

epoulsen
02-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Agree on the Cookout. I suggest the Big Double Burger Tray, cheddar style if thats your thing, with seasoned fries and either hush puppies or a corndog as the side. On that note, I think I know where I'm going for lunch :)

epoulsen
02-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Dude, this is Valentine's Week. No basketball for you - she has something romantic in mind. Probably a B&B in Niagara Falls, haha.

And to squeeze a little romance in there go ahead and hit up the Duke gardens, though it's a bit in between seasons right now.

frofan
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much! I wish the school ran tours for visitors. I would love a guided tour of the campus and to get into Cameron Indoor before the game.

Oh man this reminds me of my first time going to a Duke game! The first sight of the court brought tears to my eyes. I will never forget that game....we won of course!
Already a little choked up thinking about standing with the crazies and walking through tent city!

I love beer! Was checking out http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/67 and there are just too many places to pick from!

Whatever she has planned is my gift for my 30th Birthday in 2 weeks. We are also leaving really early Saturday, which would indicate a 10 or 12 hour drive to our destination.

Dev11
02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much! I wish the school ran tours for visitors. I would love a guided tour of the campus and to get into Cameron Indoor before the game.

If you go to the admissions website, you could do the tour that prospective students do. They run pretty regularly.

As for getting into Cameron, it is open to the public during normal business hours, and sometimes after hours, too, but its always a craps shoot for when that is.

UrinalCake
02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
You must go to the Cosmic Cantina. That is mandatory. Wear tennis shoes.

-bdbd
02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Niagra-on-the-Lake, a beautiful little "Victorian" town on the Canadian side with TONS of romantic B&B's and quaint restaurants... (and lots of charning interpretations re which side started the War of 1812... some of which was fought near-by) ;)

ice-9
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM

Oh man if Duke loses to Georgia Tech you ain't EVER allowed to see another Duke game in person again. :p I kid, I kid. Kinda. Seriously though, Duke better not lose because of you.

mac46
02-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh man if Duke loses to Georgia Tech you ain't EVER allowed to see another Duke game in person again. :p I kid, I kid. Kinda. Seriously though, Duke better not lose because of you.

Haha this reminds me of my roommate at Duke. He wrote for the Chronicle and without fail, Duke would lose every road game he covered (except for the Belmont game in Greensboro, which we won by the skin of our teeth thanks to Gerald).

epoulsen
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
you should also probably make the most of it and go full body paint, in fact, if there is still any question as to whether or not you're going, go ahead and dye your hair Duke blue, and full body paint yourself so when your wife sees you, if she had other romantic plans for waterfalls and such they will promptly be cancelled due to your appearance at which point you have the brilliant idea to travel down to Tobacco Road where your appearance won't seem so outlandish. Yup... this is the appropriate course of action.

CA Cameron Crazie
02-16-2011, 01:45 AM
I visited Duke from California for the first time in 2009 and found spectacular and also addicting, so much so that I've come back to visit every year since!

Definitely take the time to check out the Duke campus the most. I like to visit Kville, Cameron, and also the Bryan Center area before the game but also outside of the game time window so I'm not in as much of a rush. My first time there, I found the door to Cameron (the one near the Hall of Fame) open around 10pm and it was MAGICAL seeing the place dimly lit and being able to walk on the court, sit on the bench, etc. I don't know if you'll be lucky enough to have it open at that time though, so be sure to go during the open hours to tour the area.

I enjoy going to Chapel Hill to check out the Carolina Museum, the Dean Dome, and then go down Franklin Street. A good place to eat over there is Mama Dip's, about a block away from Franklin.

Whoever said to have breakfast at Elmo's on Ninth in Durham was correct. I go there every time! Other places nearby on the same street are Dain's, a bar with good burgers. The Duck Store is also on Ninth and has a great selection of Nike Duke apparel, even items not at the Nike team store or the Bryan Center store. Brightleaf Square nearby also has great little places, my favorite being Satisfaction Pizza. Lots of students go there and there are TVs everywhere, but it's all love for Duke so I enjoy it. Also, I enjoyed Dames Chicken and Waffles on Main in Durham. Regardless of where you go, you'll find the hospitality to be amazing. For a quick but good burger, I also enjoy Only Burger, which is in-between Duke and UNC off Martin Luther King.

If you have time to go out to Raleigh, my absolute favorite place to go to when I'm there is a hole in the wall hot dog place called Roast Grill. I'm not one for hot dogs really, but they are addicting! The drive there can also allow you to pass by the NCSU campus, which is kind of cool to see (though the campus is not nearly as nice as Duke or even UNC). It was featured on Man vs. Food if you're into that kind of thing :)

Have fun! I would rather spend all my money on a trip to Duke, even if it means buying $50 tickets for $500, than go to other places. Don't get me wrong. I love beaches and sunny weather, but Duke is absolutely amazing. You will LOVE it.

BluePanda
02-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Welcome (soon) to Duke! Hope your overall visit is as fun as the game will be.

There are tons of stuff to do both on campus and off. Without knowing the exact time frame that you will be here, you may not have time for some of the stuff others have recommended and I will recommend, but I would say try to stay on campus to see as much as possible because it is a beautiful school. Food is an exception because there aren't that many great eateries on campus.

You asked about the tours earlier. Assuming you leave NY by car Saturday morning, you will miss the Saturday tours (11 AM & 1 PM) and Admissions is closed on Sunday. Assuming you stay until Monday (the game will end ~10 PM Sunday), you can catch the 10 AM tour and make it home at a decent hour. The full tour schedule can be found here: http://www.admissions.duke.edu/jump/campus/2011feb.htm

If that doesn't work and you would still like a tour, feel free to message me and I could probably give you a quick tour of campus. I am by no means as knowledgeable as an ambassador, but being here 4 years I'd like to think I know some stuff.

Some places I would definitely try to visit are: the Chapel (the main quad in general), Cameron/KVille (obviously), Sarah Duke Gardens (might be a little too cold still), Bryan Center (Duke store/some mediocre eateries). Some other cool sights and my favorites are: Von der Heyden (glass pavilion next to Perkins library), East campus (frosh campus; complete different style of architecture than Gothic West campus), Engineering quad (I have to say this because I'm Pratt, but its still a great area). For off campus I would definitely try to visit Chapel Hill (specifically Franklin St.) since they do have a lot of cool stuff there too.

For food there are plenty of options. This will also be from a college student's perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. Fast food wise, Bojangles (KFC of the south) is probably something you won't find up north. OnlyBurger is good, but they move around quite a bit and may be difficult to track if you're not online (http://twitter.com/onlyburger). I would also have to agree with the people above who said Cookout simply because it's awesome and a tradition for those who visit. In fact it would be a perfect place to grab food after the game. For Mexican food, Cosmic Cantina is excellent if you don't mind the run-down location/decor.

If you like beer, I would also recommend Tyler's Taproom as someone indicated above but would also add Carolina Brewery and Top of the Hill. The latter two are both in Chapel Hill and Top of the Hill gives you a great view of Franklin St. from above. For BBQ, Bullock's is a good choice, but also consider Q-Shack and Hog Heaven. All 3 are within 5ish minutes driving from the Chapel. I love Elmo's for breakfast, but its not necessarily unique to the region.

Most importantly enjoy the game! See if you can spot me; I'll be wearing blue.

bradvinjack
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
My son and I will be attending the game in Charlottesville tonight. He is twelve and we live in Richmond. It will be his first time seeing Duke play in person. He really wants to see them in Cameron so I promised him next year I'd take him. But he is still so excited to see the game tonight at UVA. We're hoping for a Duke blowout win, we'll be in our Duke gear in section 304. Can't wait GO DUKE!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Everyone mentions visiting K'ville, but remember we are post the carolina game. K'ville is probably nothing but a grassy (or muddy) mall with a sign denoting the area, as it is 8 to 10 months of the year. Occupants please correct me if I'm wrong and you're still camping there for some reason?

gvtucker
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
For food there are plenty of options. This will also be from a college student's perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. Fast food wise, Bojangles (KFC of the south) is probably something you won't find up north. OnlyBurger is good, but they move around quite a bit and may be difficult to track if you're not online (http://twitter.com/onlyburger).
On the contrary, OnlyBurger has a fixed location now in addition to their truck. The fixed location is at 3710 Shannon Rd, which is at the corner of Shannon and Old Chapel Hill Rd. Best burger in town.

If you like beer, I would also recommend Tyler's Taproom as someone indicated above but would also add Carolina Brewery and Top of the Hill. The latter two are both in Chapel Hill and Top of the Hill gives you a great view of Franklin St. from above.
For beer closer to campus, also think of The Fed on Main St.

For BBQ, Bullock's is a good choice, but also consider Q-Shack and Hog Heaven. All 3 are within 5ish minutes driving from the Chapel.

Note that Bullock's is closed on Sunday, like all good old fashioned NC BBQ places. My favorite, Allen's is also closed on Sunday. Q-Shack is a decent alternative that actually is open on Sunday.

mac46
02-16-2011, 02:34 PM

Eh, The Fed kinda belongs to the hipsters now. I would actually say it's my least favorite bar on Main. James Joyce was always my favorite, and Alivia's is nice too.

allenmurray
02-16-2011, 03:05 PM

GVTucker is a very wise man.

The Federal also has one of the best kitchens in Durham. In fact, there is no where I would rather eat (other than my own home) in Durham, and nowhere I would rather drink beer (other than my own back deck) in Durham. It is simply 2000 sq. ft. of heaven.

allenmurray
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Eh, The Fed kinda belongs to the hipsters now. I would actually say it's my least favorite bar on Main. James Joyce was always my favorite, and Alivia's is nice too.

Not until about 9:00. It is still perfect for a pre-game meal/beer or a place to stop after work. I've been going once a week for years with a group of friends. At 51 I am the youngest of the group - we're hardly "hipsters". When our waitress sees us walk in she has our beer to the table (and remembers who orders what) before we sit down.

BluePanda
02-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Everyone mentions visiting K'ville, but remember we are post the carolina game. K'ville is probably nothing but a grassy (or muddy) mall with a sign denoting the area, as it is 8 to 10 months of the year. Occupants please correct me if I'm wrong and you're still camping there for some reason?

That's true to some degree, but I also think just being on in Kville would be worth the walk. Most people go to take a picture with the sign anyway with Cameron in the background which are both definitely in tact.

Also iirc they usually try to re-sod pretty fast since prospective students are going to be visiting soon. I haven't been there since last Friday and I know they had not done so up to that point. Interestingly too it doesn't even look that bad this year compared to previous years where it rained significantly more than this season.

Utley
02-16-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd rather talk about this than the VA game.

My favorite post-game activity is to head over to the bar at the Washington Duke Inn - right across from campus. The place has all kind of atmosphere - including a library like room replete with fireplace and I believe couches. Jason Williams and the Plumlees were there after the UNC game and we just missed Erin Andrews. I almost all run into a player or too.

I typically pre-game at Satisfactions - one of the few places I can find a Rogue Dead Guy ale - but all the choices listed are fantastic.

Enjoy your trip - its a great experience.

GDT
02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
My favorite post-game activity is to head over to the bar at the Washington Duke Inn - right across from campus. The place has all kind of atmosphere - including a library like room replete with fireplace and I believe couches. Jason Williams and the Plumlees were there after the UNC game and we just missed Erin Andrews. I almost all run into a player or too.

I second this, even before the game it's fun to sit and watch if the opposition is staying there (after the game, if you like a classic cocktail, I *think* they make a great sidecar). I'll never forget sitting at the bar years ago next to a UNLV recruiter, with migrane inducing bling, as he explained how girlfriend troubles were the sole factor in the win over them in '91.

Dev11
02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
That's true to some degree, but I also think just being on in Kville would be worth the walk. Most people go to take a picture with the sign anyway with Cameron in the background which are both definitely in tact.

Also iirc they usually try to re-sod pretty fast since prospective students are going to be visiting soon. I haven't been there since last Friday and I know they had not done so up to that point. Interestingly too it doesn't even look that bad this year compared to previous years where it rained significantly more than this season.

Its a total mud-hole right now. Yes, absolutely take the obligatory pictures with the K-ville and Cameron signs, but avoid the grass if you can. Since the Carolina game, the place has been empty, though some students will be hanging out on the sidewalk for the GT game.

frofan
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Thank you all for the recommendations!

Oddly, my wife has been nagging for me to pack since Monday (It was odd that she wanted me to pack, not the nagging part! ;) ) I normally wait until the night before, so I wasn't sure what she was up to. I finally gave in and upon opening the suitcase found a nice new Duke t-shirt and 2 TICKETS!!!!!!!

We are flying in Saturday morning at 10AM. I'm so stoked! I wish the seats were a little better, but beggars can't be choosers. We are in section 1 row L, which I have a feeling is the last or near the last row. Do ushers check your tickets? I'm hoping to maybe move down a little if there are any empty seats.

I can't wait to party with the crazies after the game! If we lose, I'll sacrifice myself for the lynching and humbly return back to the tundra of NY.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Oddly, my wife has been nagging for me to pack since Monday (It was odd that she wanted me to pack, not the nagging part! ;) ) I normally wait until the night before, so I wasn't sure what she was up to. I finally gave in and upon opening the suitcase found a nice new Duke t-shirt and 2 TICKETS!!!!!!!

We are flying in Saturday morning at 10AM. I'm so stoked! I wish the seats were a little better, but beggars can't be choosers. We are in section 1 row L, which I have a feeling is the last or near the last row. Do ushers check your tickets? I'm hoping to maybe move down a little if there are any empty seats.

I can't wait to party with the crazies after the game! If we lose, I'll sacrifice myself for the lynching and humbly return back to the tundra of NY.
Empty seats? BWAHAHAHAHA! No, there won't be any empty seats. But your seats are fine. You are corner end zone, about 4 rows from the top, but closer to the court than 80% of the seats in any other arena you've ever seen a game in! You'll love your seats!

jdj4duke
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe these are not in the vein of a game at Cameron, but to help give you a wide perception of what the University offers, drop by:
1- The Rare Book Room in Perkins; one of the best places on campus. It's fascinating and gives an appreciation of the resources available at Duke.
2- the new chapel in the Divinity School; very pretty and a nice compliment to "The Chapel"
3- The Nasher Museum; you may even see some of the items that are on loan/donated by Grant Hill.

gvtucker
02-17-2011, 11:15 AM

In all seriousness, those seats are fine. You're in the corner, with seats angled to the court. You have a very good view of the court and a very good view of the Duke bench, too. And while you are indeed only 6 rows from the top, note also that you are only 12 rows from the first row above the rail, so you really aren't that high up at all. You might be sitting either nearby or even in the exact same seats that I had the first couple of years I was sitting above the rail, and I liked them just fine.

And anyway, as Ozzie notes, the chance that you'll find a pair of seats unoccupied below you are pretty much zero anyway.

RPS
02-17-2011, 12:41 PM

Greetings to one from the shores of Lake Erie (and boyhood home of Christian Laettner) from another (although I grew up closer to the home of Terry Chili than Christian). For my 30th birthday, my lovely bride got me tickets to the 6th game of the 1986 World Series. I was long past my first Duke game by then which was the first home game of my first year there. I never missed a home game while a student. I don't think there is a bad seat in CIS -- I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Be sure to arrive early. Since I now live in SoCal and don't get back to Durham often enough (my last visit was in 2009), my suggestions would all be dated. Back in the day I liked Bullock's and The Acorn and got gear at The Duck Shop. Have fun!

frofan
02-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Any recommendations for where to go late Saturday night for drinks? What time is closing hour?

mac46
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Any recommendations for where to go late Saturday night for drinks? What time is closing hour?

Last call is at 2:00. My recommendation would be to bar hop on Main Street. It's close to campus and there's a lot of variety (The Federal, James Joyce, Alivia's, Satisfaction's, 1013 W. Main, and a Japanese place for sake bombs whose name I can't recall at the moment). Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can head into No-Man's Land. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill has some cool places.

BluePanda
02-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Last call is at 2:00. My recommendation would be to bar hop on Main Street. It's close to campus and there's a lot of variety (The Federal, James Joyce, Alivia's, Satisfaction's, 1013 W. Main, and a Japanese place for sake bombs whose name I can't recall at the moment). Or if you're feeling adventurous, you can head into No-Man's Land. Franklin Street in Chapel Hill has some cool places.

Mt. Fuji.

And yea all those choices are great. I personally love Alivia's and Sati's.

magjayran
02-18-2011, 04:30 AM

The Fed's food is light years ahead of both of those places and the beer selection is as well. It might get a little "hip" later in the evening but at least it's not full of d-bags like the James Joyce.

Lord Ash
02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Empty seats. That's awesome.

You might be in for an even bigger treat than you know... if you think that there are empty seats in Cameron at this time of year, then you might have underestimated exactly what the Cameron experience is:)

We expect a report back!:)

killerleft
02-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Empty seats. That's awesome.

You might be in for an even bigger treat than you know... if you think that there are empty seats in Cameron at this time of year, then you might have underestimated exactly what the Cameron experience is:)

We expect a report back!:)

My bro-in-law and I had season tickets in 1988, bought from a Dukie who'd qualified for them for the first time. They were in the top corner, last row, closest to K-ville. They were added-on seats on top of a wooden platform about 6 inches high.

We always looked for empty seats and quite often found some. Shortly before halftime, we'd go and inquire of the folks adjacent to these seats if they would be used. Most of the time we'd find out if the seats were free.

It didn't always work out, but some nights we would end up with prime seats near center court. It's worth a try.

frofan
02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
What time do they let people in to Cameron if it's a 7:45 tip off?

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
What time do they let people in to Cameron if it's a 7:45 tip off?
One hour prior to tip off