PDA

View Full Version : Sonny V: We Hardly Knew Ya

greybeard
06-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Too bad it's not so. In my opinion, he did as much to ruin the game as it can be played as anyone. And, now he is gone. Has hung them up, and, with his departure, so too the shoe companies have changed entirely the nonsense that they have been passing off for years as a finishing school for the best of the best high school athletes.

Nike, Adidas, Reebok have all either cancelled or announced radical changes in their summer camps for elite high school players. They purportedly intend to come up with a model that will bring American play up to par with what the pro and college scouts see as vastly superior play on the other side of the great pond.

I say purportedly because I do not believe that the current crop of American thinkers can make the game fresh enough for youngsters who are already burnt out to facilitate expanding their vision of what is possible on the field of play and what it would take to make that vision a reality.

Freshness is a necessary ingredient for that kind of learning and I do not think that the thinking of the power structure surrounding basketball and other sports in the US possesses it. Thankfully, as I have been saying for some time, they are at least making steps towards the light, and realizing that there is a problem with the "training" US ballers have been getting.

If I were them, the first person I'd give a big consulting contract to is Mr. Nash, not the one who plays for the Suns; rather, his father.