PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ Virginia Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming UVa mens game on Feb 16, Wed night in HOOville...aka Charlottesville?

UVa gave us a good game earlier. Came to play hard. And did in the first half. Then Duke got it together, and sent the Cavaliers (YaHoos, WaHoos, WhoseHoos) back to HOOville.

I do like their new arena. And the UVa folks were nice too. Thats a pleasantness anywhere in the ACC league.

wilson
02-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I do like their new arena.Plus, it's named after the greatest bassist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_%28musician%29)/father of the American navy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones) that I know of.

MChambers
02-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Any thoughts on the upcoming UVa mens game on Feb 16, Wed night in HOOville...aka Charlottesville?
With Scott and Sherrill out, UVa is woefully thin inside, and really doesn't score much inside. Accordingly, I assume that the key will be shutting down the three point shot, which generally is one of Duke's strengths, although less a strength this year than in some previous years.

I'd also like to see Andre have a breakout game. You may recall that he had a big game against Virginia back in January, when we were really struggling. In fact, I think Coach K said it was Andre's best game of his career.

Indoor66
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Plus, it's named after the greatest bassist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_%28musician%29)/father of the American navy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones) that I know of.

Nice thought, but not quite accurate (http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/about.asp).

Bluedevil114
02-14-2011, 08:02 PM
I have tickets to this game on Wednesday. I have been to the last three games that Duke has played at UVA. Their crowd sits on their hands and the place does not get very loud. A beautiful building but UVA just does not have the horses to stay with Duke. I am expecting a 20+ point victory. With Curry, Kyle and Nolan shooting well....it should not stay competitive very long. I would love to see Dawkins come out of his funk and hit one early and earn some minutes Wednesday. Kelly has been playing great but I love when we go small......so many options.

-bdbd
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
I have tickets to this game on Wednesday. I have been to the last three games that Duke has played at UVA. Their crowd sits on their hands and the place does not get very loud. A beautiful building but UVA just does not have the horses to stay with Duke. I am expecting a 20+ point victory. With Curry, Kyle and Nolan shooting well....it should not stay competitive very long. I would love to see Dawkins come out of his funk and hit one early and earn some minutes Wednesday. Kelly has been playing great but I love when we go small......so many options.

I'm in northern VA and debating taking the 90 minute drive over to Charlottesville for the game. Have never seen the new stadium, but I do like the school, campus. Is it likely they will sell out the place for Duke? How hard will it be to get tix? Do they have scalpers around? Any Duke gathering before/after the game.

Like the other post, I don't see UVA's interior game being able to hang with Duke's for 40 minutes. Unless Nolan's eye remains a problem, AND his fill-ins have off nights, expect Duke to be starting to put a little distance by halftime.

:D

NSDukeFan
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
I don't expect a blow out in this one. I guess I usually don't on the road in the ACC (Wake this year being the exception.) Also, I expect UVa to play hard and reasonably smart as Bennett seems to be doing a good job coaching. They did get blown out by Maryland at home (84-62) but their other games have been much closer. Pomeroy (who has Duke up to #2 after KU's loss last night) has Duke winning 74-60 which seems like a reasonable prediction to me. Like others, I would like to see Dawkins have a nice game, and of course continued strong performances from Curry, Mason, Miles and Ryan. Hopefully, the team can get ahead early and Josh can get some minutes as well.

4decadedukie
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
This is not critical, but since UVa lost at Cameron a month ago, freshman guard Billy Baron has opted to leave the program and transfer to URI (where, I believe, his father coaches). This will not have a significant impact in on-court performance, however, one has to question if it has any "locker-room" influence.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/cavaliers-journal/2011/02/billy_baron_leaving_uva_plans.html

KaHOOnah
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I'm in northern VA and debating taking the 90 minute drive over to Charlottesville for the game. Have never seen the new stadium, but I do like the school, campus. Is it likely they will sell out the place for Duke? How hard will it be to get tix? Do they have scalpers around? Any Duke gathering before/after the game.

Like the other post, I don't see UVA's interior game being able to hang with Duke's for 40 minutes. Unless Nolan's eye remains a problem, AND his fill-ins have off nights, expect Duke to be starting to put a little distance by halftime.

:D

Two things:
1) UVa, for all its faults inside, doubles the post better than any other team in the ACC. That, in turn, has hurt us with teams who've been able to find an open shooter outside, provided said shooter actually hits shots. I'm not as concerned about you guys beating us up on the low block for too many points as I am about 3 point defense as a result of too readily doubling the post. We do, however, give up a lot of offensive boards, which I'm sure will hurt.

2) If you drive down, you'll have no problem whatsoever finding tickets from a scalper outside the JPJ. Just don't cheer too loudly :mad:

ChicagoCrazy84
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
With every one of our easier games, I, much like a lot of other folks on here say they'd like to see guys like Dre and Ryan and those guys get touches and get out of their "funks." While I would love to see Andre go for 20, I don't see it happening so with these games (especially this one) I want to see our guys fine tune their defense and play a full 40 min. We didn't see that against NC State, UNC, and to a lesser extent...Miami. I think our D could be a lot more consistsent and with Scott and Sherrill out, this is the game to extend our defense and play more aggressive.
We have a nice opportunity to get on a good roll. We get past the Cavs and we're back at home for the next 2 games. I hate to look ahead, but we could go into that VT game sitting at 12-1 and 26-2 overall which is pretty gosh darn good.

BlueDevil2022
02-15-2011, 05:30 PM
I too would love to see Andre get it going in this game. This maybe is something that should be on a seperate thread but does anyone else see that it is no wonder he is in a funk? He played as well as anyone outside the two All-Americans for the first two months of the season. (Obviously Kyrie was better, but that is true of almost everyone in the country) Now he is playing 10 to 15 minutes a game and moving down the depth chart. I know that his defense is not on par with Nolan and Kyle, but he seems to have lost what little swagger that he had. A player's confidence is very important. When he was playing 25 to 30 minutes a game he was able to get into the flow of the game and his shots were falling. Now he seems to be looking over his shoulder waiting to see when he will get benched again. I worries me that he might transfer since the backcourt next year will be overflowing with talent. Does anyone else see this happening? He has all the talent needed to be a very very good college player, I would hate to see it on display in a uniform other than our beloved Blue Devils!!!!!

Go Blue Devils!!!!!

Kedsy
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
I worries me that he might transfer since the backcourt next year will be overflowing with talent. Does anyone else see this happening? He has all the talent needed to be a very very good college player, I would hate to see it on display in a uniform other than our beloved Blue Devils!!!!!

Why do so many people say stuff like this, with no basis other than a guy's minutes went down for a couple games?

Andre played 13 and 15 minutes in his last two games, it's true, but the three before that he played 26, 20, and 27.

-bdbd
02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Two things:
1) UVa, for all its faults inside, doubles the post better than any other team in the ACC. That, in turn, has hurt us with teams who've been able to find an open shooter outside, provided said shooter actually hits shots. I'm not as concerned about you guys beating us up on the low block for too many points as I am about 3 point defense as a result of too readily doubling the post. We do, however, give up a lot of offensive boards, which I'm sure will hurt.

2) If you drive down, you'll have no problem whatsoever finding tickets from a scalper outside the JPJ. Just don't cheer too loudly :mad:

KaHOOnah -

Thanks. May do just that (re scalper). Yeah, I always think of myself as a "guest" in someone else's house and, while still happily rooting for Duke, would never be loud/boorish in some else's place. Really looking forward to checking out the new digs! Now if we could only get those heels fans to behave similarly when they invade Wallace Wade Stadium every other year... :mad:

OldPhiKap
02-15-2011, 06:00 PM
This would be a great game for Kyle to start the final push.

Now's the time.

CBDUKE
02-15-2011, 06:22 PM
KaHOOnah -

Thanks. May do just that (re scalper). Yeah, I always think of myself as a "guest" in someone else's house and, while still happily rooting for Duke, would never be loud/boorish in some else's place. Really looking forward to checking out the new digs! Now if we could only get those heels fans to behave similarly when they invade Wallace Wade Stadium every other year... :mad:

I was at the game last year (and will be again tomorrow night). There was a whole lot of Blue in the stands and at times we were louder than the Hoos. I hope it is that was this time as well.

moonpie23
02-15-2011, 06:29 PM
i hope that ryan kelly and seth continue to play well...we're gonna really need that extra boost

wilson
02-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Nice thought, but not quite accurate (http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/about.asp).Yeah, I know. But wouldn't it be much cooler if the arena was named after the Zeppelin bassist and/or the father of the American navy?

BlueDevil2022
02-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Why do so many people say stuff like this, with no basis other than a guy's minutes went down for a couple games?

Andre played 13 and 15 minutes in his last two games, it's true, but the three before that he played 26, 20, and 27.

Yeah, you are right!!! It is not like he played 10 and 13 minutes the two games before that. Oh wait, he did only get those minutes. Including 1 minute in the entire second half vs UNC and Wake. In all games before that he was on the floor for at least 18 minutes. I was just saying that it would be nice for him to get hot this game and continue to stay hot. We are not in practice so we do not know that whole story. Would just like to see the kid get back on track and be the type of player that I think/hope he can be.

Kedsy
02-15-2011, 07:07 PM
I was just saying that it would be nice for him to get hot this game and continue to stay hot.

Well, no, that's not what you were "just saying." You were speculating that he might transfer based on nothing more than his minutes were down in a few games.

We all want Andre to play well. Why can't we leave it at that?

Duke: A Dynasty
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Well, no, that's not what you were "just saying." You were speculating that he might transfer based on nothing more than his minutes were down in a few games.

We all want Andre to play well. Why can't we leave it at that?

Wow once again here we go... Actually it was what he was "just saying". Go re-read the post. The entire post he was talking about Dre's "funk" and how he has not been performing as of late. You chose to pick out the very last sentence or two were all he said was that he was worried Dre would think about transferring and he left it at that. No speculation at all just a fan wondering what has happened with Dre as of late.

ps. We do all want Dre to play well and nobody else had a problem with what was said so why don't you just leave it at that.

Bob Green
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow once again here we go...

What are you implying? Please keep the conversation civil. Thanks!

Duke: A Dynasty
02-15-2011, 08:43 PM
What are you implying? Please keep the conversation civil. Thanks!

Got ya I just was kinda talking to myself in a way cause I seem to always reply to the posts were people attack someone else's posts (Should have said here I go once again). But anyway what defines being civil on this board? FYI this is a serious question.

Bob Green
02-15-2011, 08:49 PM
But anyway what defines being civil on this board? FYI this is a serious question.

It is clearly defined here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-%28Please-read-before-posting!%29). The germane sentences include:

DBR is meant to foster a sense of community built around the Duke experience and encourage intelligent discussion, debate, and commentary in a fun and civil atmosphere. Posting on DBR is a privilege extended to those trying to make it a better place for all of us.

And:

Incivility. You are free to disagree with other posters; all we ask that you respectfully disagree. Challenge the content of the post: point out flaws in their logic, dispute facts, or counter the argument respectfully. Attacking the poster by being snarky, name-calling, or engaging in a flame war is not tolerated. Avoid "gotcha" posts.

-jk
02-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Got ya I just was kinda talking to myself in a way cause I seem to always reply to the posts were people attack someone else's posts (Should have said here I go once again). But anyway what defines being civil on this board? FYI this is a serious question.

If you haven't recently, please read the posting guidelines in the stickies.

Edit: whoops - Bob beat me to it.

-jk

Newton_14
02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, you are right!!! It is not like he played 10 and 13 minutes the two games before that. Oh wait, he did only get those minutes. Including 1 minute in the entire second half vs UNC and Wake. In all games before that he was on the floor for at least 18 minutes. I was just saying that it would be nice for him to get hot this game and continue to stay hot. We are not in practice so we do not know that whole story. Would just like to see the kid get back on track and be the type of player that I think/hope he can be.

The 19 minutes that Andre was on the bench in the 2nd half of the UNC game were spent being the biggest cheerleader other than Kyrie. He was encouraging his teammates at every opportunity. Andre has had numerous shining moments this season, some of those in big games. Lately he has struggled, but continues to work hard. We all want him to snap out of the funk and play better again which he surely will.

But I have to agree with Kedsy, there is no reason at all to toss out the "transfer" speculation. It is not fair at all to Andre to toss that out there on this forum. It has no basis. The kid has serious talent, with a jumpshot as pure as silk. As he continues to grow and develop as a player, improving his defense and ballhandling, it will not matter what hot new recruit is coming in, Andre will still play his way onto the court.

Our guys need to come out focused and ready tomorrow night. I for one, cringe when I see people predict a blowout in a conference road game. UVA gave us a heck of a game in last years ACC Tourney and again this year in Cameron. I am taking nothing for granted. We need an effort like we saw Sunday night. Since Andre torched the Cav's in Cameron, this game may be just what the doctor ordered for him to get back on track.

BlueDevil2022
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
The 19 minutes that Andre was on the bench in the 2nd half of the UNC game were spent being the biggest cheerleader other than Kyrie. He was encouraging his teammates at every opportunity. Andre has had numerous shining moments this season, some of those in big games. Lately he has struggled, but continues to work hard. We all want him to snap out of the funk and play better again which he surely will.

But I have to agree with Kedsy, there is no reason at all to toss out the "transfer" speculation. It is not fair at all to Andre to toss that out there on this forum. It has no basis. The kid has serious talent, with a jumpshot as pure as silk. As he continues to grow and develop as a player, improving his defense and ballhandling, it will not matter what hot new recruit is coming in, Andre will still play his way onto the court.

Our guys need to come out focused and ready tomorrow night. I for one, cringe when I see people predict a blowout in a conference road game. UVA gave us a heck of a game in last years ACC Tourney and again this year in Cameron. I am taking nothing for granted. We need an effort like we saw Sunday night. Since Andre torched the Cav's in Cameron, this game may be just what the doctor ordered for him to get back on track.

I could not agree more that Andre was the biggest cheerleader other than Kyrie, (other than maybe Josh). He seems to be a great teammate and a wonderful young man!!!!!! His shot is one of the best I have seen in years of watching basketball. I really did not mean that I think he should transfer and I hope you are right about his playing time next year. He has been my favorite player since the day he set foot in Durham. I was just wondering if anyone shared my fears. CLEARLY not a soul thinks it is possible and I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like I said I really hope for great things for this young man!!!!!!! Here is to a great game by the guys tomorrow night and really sorry that I caused people to freak out about the transfer thing. Trust me, that is the last thing that I want!!!!!

BlueDevil2022
02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow once again here we go... Actually it was what he was "just saying". Go re-read the post. The entire post he was talking about Dre's "funk" and how he has not been performing as of late. You chose to pick out the very last sentence or two were all he said was that he was worried Dre would think about transferring and he left it at that. No speculation at all just a fan wondering what has happened with Dre as of late.

ps. We do all want Dre to play well and nobody else had a problem with what was said so why don't you just leave it at that.

Thank you Dynasty. Seems as if you read my comments and took them they way I inteded them. It was not meant to be negative towards Andre. I was simply attempting to offer a positive thought on why he is in this "funk" I hope he keeps his head up and keeps getting better and better.

Utley
02-15-2011, 11:36 PM

For what its worth I feel the same way. I love this program and I have an incredible amount of respect for the knowledge, insight and perspective I get from this Board/community. At times the Board can feel snarky to me though - to borrow a word from the guidelines. There's room for disagreement and debate and fun, just feels like we can be harder on our fellow Devil fans than we need to - let's save that for UNC.

BlueDevil2022
02-15-2011, 11:54 PM
For what its worth I feel the same way. I love this program and I have an incredible amount of respect for the knowledge, insight and perspective I get from this Board/community. At times the Board can feel snarky to me though - to borrow a word from the guidelines. There's room for disagreement and debate and fun, just feels like we can be harder on our fellow Devil fans than we need to - let's save that for UNC.

Well said! Go Duke!!!!

ChicagoCrazy84
02-16-2011, 12:49 AM
I hate to turn this into an Andre Dawkins thread, but lately he has been the talk of the town as he seems to be the only one in the regular rotation going the opposite direction. Not sure where it really stems from, but what bothers me about Andre is he is such a cerebral player. He gets in his own way a little too much and starts to push a little harder than he needs. I think this is probably the case with a lot of players who rely on their shot (I was much the same way in hs) but Dre has a ton of natural strength and athleticism. I'd love for him to play aggressively and get to the line, get easy buckets, or just draw the D in a little more. Why do we never see Dre play with that agressiveness or fire?? Instead of doing that when he's not hitting from outside, I feel like he starts to mope and get down on himself. Hopefully he'll learn cause he's better than that.

Anyway, that's my take. It was around this time last year that he started to play better. I agree with everyone else that this is a good game for him to hit shots and get himself back in the game for 20+ min a game.

gep
02-16-2011, 12:59 AM
I hate to turn this into an Andre Dawkins thread, but lately he has been the talk of the town as he seems to be the only one in the regular rotation going the opposite direction. Not sure where it really stems from, but what bothers me about Andre is he is such a cerebral player. He gets in his own way a little too much and starts to push a little harder than he needs. I think this is probably the case with a lot of players who rely on their shot (I was much the same way in hs) but Dre has a ton of natural strength and athleticism. I'd love for him to play aggressively and get to the line, get easy buckets, or just draw the D in a little more. Why do we never see Dre play with that agressiveness or fire?? Instead of doing that when he's not hitting from outside, I feel like he starts to mope and get down on himself. Hopefully he'll learn cause he's better than that.

I've read a bunch of this stuff on Andre... and wonder how much of his offense is guided by coaches, practices, etc. In other words, is Andre doing what he is being asked to do on offense? If so, maybe, as others have said, his shortened playing time may be at least as much as a result of defense:confused:

Billy Dat
02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Back to the game, here's a clip from a preview that describes the current state in Hooville:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/uva/dp-spt-teel-column-uva-hoops-week-20110215,0,4040199.column

"...the Cavaliers' reality is they're a few shingles short of a roof. Forward Will Sherrill is struggling with a leg injury — he missed the Florida State game — and the team has minimal inside firepower. But other than the 66-42 home loss to Maryland, Virginia has shown true grit. There's not a dependable, go-to scorer, but between Zeglinski, Farrakhan and freshman Joe Harris, and occasionally defensive stalwarts Evans and Assane Sene, the Cavaliers have scored enough to hang with every opponent. 'Our numbers aren't real big, so a lot of guys are logging minutes," Bennett said. "So at this stage of the year, we're trying to keep everybody as fresh and motivated as possible. I think they've shown a good amount of fight in games. They've been in games and been competitive from that standpoint. So I think there is a little bit of mental and physical fatigue."

Sounds to me like they are struggling to get to the finish line. Tonight's game, and their next game against VT, represent two opportunities to play out of their minds and get a signature win to feel good about. That tells me we are going to get a huge first half effort out of them and, if we can break their will in the first half, they will fold. They seem to be getting weaker as we are getting stronger. I'd like to see us continue to try and work that ball inside early in the game to test their relative weakness and get our bigs going. I don't want us to start out chucking from 3, maybe being cold, and then tightening up. Let's get Mason and Ryan some early touches, see if we can get some makes, force them to collapse which will allow us to get some inside out open looks from 3 in rhythm. Also, let's attack on the bounce - Nolan and Seth - and put pressure on their D. Best of all, when we attack on the bounce, let's look for Mason to be open as that D collapses.

OldPhiKap
02-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Back to the game, here's a clip from a preview that describes the current state in Hooville:
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/colleges/uva/dp-spt-teel-column-uva-hoops-week-20110215,0,4040199.column

"...the Cavaliers' reality is they're a few shingles short of a roof. Forward Will Sherrill is struggling with a leg injury — he missed the Florida State game — and the team has minimal inside firepower. But other than the 66-42 home loss to Maryland, Virginia has shown true grit. There's not a dependable, go-to scorer, but between Zeglinski, Farrakhan and freshman Joe Harris, and occasionally defensive stalwarts Evans and Assane Sene, the Cavaliers have scored enough to hang with every opponent. 'Our numbers aren't real big, so a lot of guys are logging minutes," Bennett said. "So at this stage of the year, we're trying to keep everybody as fresh and motivated as possible. I think they've shown a good amount of fight in games. They've been in games and been competitive from that standpoint. So I think there is a little bit of mental and physical fatigue."

Sounds to me like they are struggling to get to the finish line. Tonight's game, and their next game against VT, represent two opportunities to play out of their minds and get a signature win to feel good about. That tells me we are going to get a huge first half effort out of them and, if we can break their will in the first half, they will fold. They seem to be getting weaker as we are getting stronger. I'd like to see us continue to try and work that ball inside early in the game to test their relative weakness and get our bigs going. I don't want us to start out chucking from 3, maybe being cold, and then tightening up. Let's get Mason and Ryan some early touches, see if we can get some makes, force them to collapse which will allow us to get some inside out open looks from 3 in rhythm.

Good find, and I like your recipe for attack. Go Duke!!!

jv001
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I have the greatest respect for Coach Bennett and his under manned squad. I hate to see what he will do when he gets the players to really compete with the top schools. As for this game, I look for Duke to come out with a lot of energy and if we make the 3s in the early going, we'll win with ease. If we don't we could be in for a dog fight. I look for the team to keep moving the ball as they did in the Miami game. Even though Miami played mostly zone, lately we have moved the ball against man to man defenses . Go Duke!

PADukeMom
02-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Stomach virus is officialy over so I can begin snacking on Fritos. I've got this game covered.
Think UVA will give us a good game but we have got to stop spotting 14 point leads.

superdave
02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
In the first matchup (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=205077640), Duke trailed 31-25 at the half and won 76-60. We got really bogged down in the first half and gave up 13 points off TOs to them.

I'll be most interested in seeing Duke start off with good energy in this game and avoid any letdowns. Also, Nolan posted up a few times in the first matchup, so I'd be interested in seeing how that works again. I'd love to see us attack the rim and put this game away fast.

UrinalCake
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I checked the ESPN3 listing and in addition to carrying the game they will also be providing a "Nolan Smith Cam" feed in which they'll focus on Nolan Smith the whole game. They did something similar with Maya Moore of Connecticut a few days ago. If there was ever a reason to buy a second monitor, this is it! Doesn't look like any of their TV channels will be showing this. I look forward to it; if there was ever a guy you should pay all of your attention to in order to see all the ways he affects a game, Nolan would be him!

sandinmyshoes
02-16-2011, 02:27 PM
I worry most about games that we should win, and win easily. It's what I"m "missing" that worries me most. In some games, I can identify what we have to watch out for or overcome, but in a game against UVA I can only see a lack of focus or effort on our part as threatening us. And we have the best coach in the country at making sure that doesn't happen directing the team.

Still, there's always that unknown...

lotusland
02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
I checked the ESPN3 listing and in addition to carrying the game they will also be providing a "Nolan Smith Cam" feed in which they'll focus on Nolan Smith the whole game. They did something similar with Maya Moore of Connecticut a few days ago. If there was ever a reason to buy a second monitor, this is it! Doesn't look like any of their TV channels will be showing this. I look forward to it; if there was ever a guy you should pay all of your attention to in order to see all the ways he affects a game, Nolan would be him!

I see ESPN3 has the game scheduled but the DBR schedule shows FSN

2/16 7:00 Virginia at Charlottesville, Va FSN

Will ESPN black the game out in ACC country?

94duke
02-16-2011, 03:42 PM

goduke.com has espn2
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=205096407&DB_OEM_ID=4200

ACCBBallFan
02-16-2011, 03:42 PM

Not sure about the black out question, but here's the link to Nolan Cam.

http://sports.chronicleblogs.com/2011/02/16/what-to-watch-for-on-nolan-cam-tonight/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chronicleblogs%2Fsports+%28Th e+Chronicle%27s+Sports+Blog%29

UrinalCake
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
ESPN only blacks out the game if it's also being carried by one of the local networks. Since today's game is not, we should get the game everywhere.

-jk
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I feel certain Julio typo'ed the schedule there. FSN doesn't have it.

-jk

riverside6
02-16-2011, 06:36 PM
live tempo-based stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=7065

Starters should be posted in about 10-15 minutes if not sooner

DU82
02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Walking into JPJ Arena, you'd almost think we were in Durham, with all the Duke fans!

Krzyzewskiville
02-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Did anyone see the sweater/fleece Kyrie had on today, it was real nice. It wasn't the usual sweatshirt he sports on road games. I got that off Nike.com...

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-10002+4294967200/t-Men%27s_Collegiate#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-331158

...when it was available but anybody see the sweater/fleece he had on? and/or know where to get it.

dukeballboy88
02-16-2011, 07:15 PM
any site where you can where you can watch the game?

TNDukeFan
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM

I have it on ESPN2

snowdenscold
I assume you mean besides Espn3 ?

KShip21
espn3.com

nocilla
02-16-2011, 07:20 PM

http://veetle.com/index.php/channel/view#4d4db953c5d64

deezl
02-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Did anyone see the sweater/fleece Kyrie had on today, it was real nice. It wasn't the usual sweatshirt he sports on road games. I got that off Nike.com...

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pwp,c-1+100701/hf-10002+4294967200/t-Men%27s_Collegiate#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-331158

...when it was available but anybody see the sweater/fleece he had on? and/or know where to get it.

I have the same one but the bottom half is black instead of grey. I got it on sale at Champs Sports. It was $24.99 down from $60.00. I love it.

Edit: found the pic. http://images.nike.com/is/image/emea/419006_010_A?$AFI$

dukeballboy88
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
the real time stats is cool. thanks

that sweater if fire!

grossbus
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Personally, I like the black uni's, but we are 0-2 in them this year and we don't look good early.

Son of Mojo
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Always HATE the black uniforms..........I'm going to leave bruises on the dead horse again--HOW does Mike Patrick maintain employment as an announcer???? He is absolutely horrible.

TNDukeFan
02-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Sene doing his best Hansbrough imitation

Son of Mojo
02-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Wow--that move Ryan made was.........Laettner-esque.

Krzyzewskiville
02-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I have the same one but the bottom half is black instead of grey. I got it on sale at Champs Sports. It was $24.99 down from $60.00. I love it.

Edit: found the pic. http://images.nike.com/is/image/emea/419006_010_A?$AFI$

Yeah I have the gray one he wears, buuuuut I paid 60.00. They seem to be all sold out...everywhere. The fleece he's wearing today looks fresh though.

Gthoma2a
02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
I seriously don't understand why St. Johns isn't ranked. They have beaten us and UConn recently/dominantly. It is hard to admit that, but it is hard to believe that doesn't equal a top 25 team.

deezl
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Yeah I have the gray one he wears, buuuuut I paid 60.00. They seem to be all sold out...everywhere. The fleece he's wearing today looks fresh though.

Oops I thought you were asking where to get that one. I haven't seen the one he has on today yet.

moonpie23
02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
i don't like the shake nolan did at the va fans and the tv cameras.....that's for when the game is in the bag.....

rhcpflea99
02-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Thought Jay Will made a good point on Kyle not being aggressive enough at halftime.

timmy c
02-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I seriously don't understand why St. Johns isn't ranked. They have beaten us and UConn recently/dominantly. It is hard to admit that, but it is hard to believe that doesn't equal a top 25 team.

Um, look at their 9 losses. Some ugly games in there.

Gthoma2a
02-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Um, look at their 9 losses. Some ugly games in there.

Yeah, but they have signature wins... it is better than UNC's Kentucky win is all I'm saying. I think those two huge wins make up for some bad losses.

PADukeMom
02-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I hate these black uniforms!

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-16-2011, 07:51 PM
i don't like the shake nolan did at the va fans and the tv cameras.....that's for when the game is in the bag.....

That's exactly what I just left the TV to come in here and write! That's NOT the Duke way, Nolan, even when the game IS in the bag! CUT IT OUT!!! You can curb the chest pounding, too, for that matter. NOT cute. I love you but what in the world has gotten into you?
Love, Ima

DukeBlueHeart4
02-16-2011, 07:52 PM
I hate these black uniforms!

What?!? I LOVE them!!!

And I wanna see if Nolan can teach me that little shimmy move he did just after that last basket. I liked that! I think we lacked spark early so it's nice to see him show some energy. Hopefully the team will catch on.

Krzyzewskiville
02-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Yeah but they lost to some poor teams as well. At 16-9 they lost at home to St. Bonaventure, At Fordham, at UCLA, at St. Marys. I agree they should be ranked but this is the reason they aren't...yet.

Cameron
02-16-2011, 07:59 PM
And I wanna see if Nolan can teach me that little shimmy move he did just after that last basket.

I'm sure if you just make the drive to Jersey and pull up a chair next to Antoine Walker at Bally's, he'll be happy to share his moves. You'll probably have to drive him home, though.

wgl1228
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
There has to be some kind of conspiracy agianst Singler by the refs this year.

timmy c
02-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah, but they have signature wins... it is better than UNC's Kentucky win is all I'm saying. I think those two huge wins make up for some bad losses.

Two wins - no matter how big - doesn't make you a top 25 team. Kenpom currently has them ranked #36. I tend think that's about right. They're 6-6 in their last twelve.

They're clearly capable of winning or losing to anybody on a given night.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

RockyMtDevil
02-16-2011, 08:29 PM
And thank god for it, because we would be getting smoked by anyone else tonight. This is disgusting basketball. Turnovers, sloppy passing, poor execution, dumb fouls. This is a terrible game, we don't look much better.

simmias
02-16-2011, 08:31 PM
And thank god for it, because we would be getting smoked by anyone else tonight. This is disgusting basketball. Turnovers, sloppy passing, poor execution, dumb fouls. This is a terrible game, we don't look much better.
I was just thinking exactly the same thing. It's also how I felt last night watching the holes - if they had been playing anyone other than Wake it would have been an L.

Fortunately they can't guard Nolan.

Edit: Ryan Kelly looks pretty good tonight, though.

NashvilleDevil
02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
There has to be some kind of conspiracy agianst Singler by the refs this year.

It is really getting ridiculous and it's affected his offensive game.

hurley1
02-16-2011, 08:33 PM
the train wreck stopped outside to watch this game......

Son of Mojo
02-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Nolan to Mason--good touch by both of them on that play.

timmy c
02-16-2011, 08:38 PM
This looks like the ugliest win Duke will have this year.