PDA

View Full Version : Nolan Smith Eye Injury

Bluedog
02-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't want to sound the alarm bells, but Nolan just tweeted this:

Don't text me, I won't be able to read it
http://twitter.com/ndotsmitty

I'm sure he'll be fine, but for the doctors in the house, eyes typically heal really quickly, right? I sure hope so! We need Nolan to be 100% obviously. Anybody have any other information on the injury? Haven't heard much talk about it, so it seems like it's not a big deal. Plus, his vision must be okay if he can tweet! His other tweets seem very positive.

BlueDster
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
It could be that he means something like he won't be available to read texts because he'll be in class or at practice. Also, Nolan's performance after the injury would seem to indicate to me that he will be just fine. Obviously, if there truly is an issue I wish Nolan a full and speedy recovery.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Chris Collins was on David Glenn's show and said that Nolan's eye was much better today. He didn't elaborate much more than that.

On Kyrie's toe, he did say that he was glad to see Kyrie wearing two shoes again. Now THAT I found most interesting... ! He did not say anything about what he was doing in those two shoes or what he was doing in his rehab, only that it would "be a while"... More company line coach speak. I'm going to cross post this in the correct thread if it's not already there.

devildeac
02-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't want to sound the alarm bells, but Nolan just tweeted this:

http://twitter.com/ndotsmitty

I'm sure he'll be fine, but for the doctors in the house, eyes typically heal really quickly, right? I sure hope so! We need Nolan to be 100% obviously. Anybody have any other information on the injury? Haven't heard much talk about it, so it seems like it's not a big deal. Plus, his vision must be okay if he can tweet! His other tweets seem very positive.

I'd be really alarmed if he tweeted this:

DDoonn''tt tteexxtt mmee,, II wwoonn''tt bbee aabbllee ttoo rreeaadd iitt..

Seriously, get well soon, Nolan.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Nolan did take a whack to the eye. Probably best that he doesnt read to much. HE needs UVA PROTECTION for Wed night up in HOOville.

U go 2 We love you Nolan Smith!!!

and as always,

GO Duke!!!

wilson
02-14-2011, 03:12 PM
...eyes typically heal really quickly, right?...Not necessarily. An eye injury cost Jon Scheyer whatever chance he had at an NBA roster spot for this season.

SharkD
02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Please, I hope that we really don't need a "Nolan Smith eyeball vigil" thread.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

I am going to rebuke those words. Snared by the words of your mouth.

so i speak good thoughts..... Nolan is healing, and eyeball is getting better every hour. Like the previous post...... JON Scheyer was hurt bad during summer games, last year.

NOLAN Can always wear the googles on wed night and get UVa PROTECTION!!!!!!

jaygdevil11
02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

...x2

Bluedog
02-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Not necessarily. An eye injury cost Jon Scheyer whatever chance he had at an NBA roster spot for this season.

Well, Scheyer damaged his optic nerve with a big blow to the eye. And was down for a while and immediately transferred to a hospital. Nolan clearly didn't hurt his optic nerve and probably just scratched his cornea. Nolan was back fairly quickly so his eye injury pales into comparison to Scheyer's. So, I'll rephrase. The cornea of the eye heals quickly, right?

I just looked it up myself and cornea abrasions typically heal themselves fully in 1-3 days. Eye drops can help. Turning this thread around (since I started it), seem like Nolan will be fine by tomorrow.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Well, Scheyer damaged his optic nerve with a big blow to the eye. And was down for a while and immediately transferred to a hospital. Nolan clearly didn't hurt his optic nerve and probably just scratched his cornea. Nolan was back fairly quickly so his eye injury pales into comparison to Scheyer's. So, I'll rephrase. The cornea of the eye heals quickly, right?

I just looked it up myself and cornea abrasions typically heal themselves fully in 1-3 days. Eye drops can help. Turning this thread around (since I started it), seem like Nolan will be fine by tomorrow.

I have had cornea abrasions several times... due to contact lenses (in my early years of contacts). Wear the disposable now. Generally, drops, and a good patch over the eye, for a couple of nights.... and not straining too much to read. GOOD REst. Cornea abrasion hurts like all get out, though, if that what Nolan has. Thank goodness, Eyeballs do heal ...... BETTER than TOEs! AS we all know!

Kedsy
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Depends on the extent of the corneal abrasion. Years ago, I had a similar injury playing ball, and I missed a whole week of work and couldn't get back on the court for a couple weeks after that. Nolan came back into the game though (something there was no way I could have done), so I expect his scratch was not nearly as extensive as mine was.

MChambers
02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
All of this raises the question of why players aren't required to wear goggles. I know, it would look funny, and probably reduces one's court vision, but players do get poked in the eye a fair amount.

Kedsy
02-14-2011, 04:11 PM
All of this raises the question of why players aren't required to wear goggles. I know, it would look funny, and probably reduces one's court vision, but players do get poked in the eye a fair amount.

Yeah, since my injury I never play without goggles. But they do reduce court vision; I can see a "real" player not wanting to wear them.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Havent the eye goggles gotten better!! From old days, the old scuba diver goggles, to almost look like the eye wear for tanning beds. And they are clear, so I would think you would have most of your complete court vision. I dont know. I am asking!!

I would wear goggles, to protect my eye injury. But these kids are tough as nails. There again, they are boys, to men. And I am a girlie girl. hehe;)

94duke
02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, since my injury I never play without goggles. But they do reduce court vision; I can see a "real" player not wanting to wear them.

I wonder if the style that Amare Stoudemire wears reduces court vision. There is not much of a frame to restrict vision. In fact, it looks like the only frame is on the top of the glasses/goggles.

superdave
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Nolan has been on twitter today so I'm just guessing his phone is messed up, and not his eye.

wilson
02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I wonder if the style that Amare Stoudemire wears reduces court vision. There is not much of a frame to restrict vision. In fact, it looks like the only frame is on the top of the glasses/goggles.My friends and I always thought Horace Grant looked great with his dorky slash awesome goggles.
http://www.ufpikes.com/files/QuickSiteImages/horace_grant.jpg

Eckster
02-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Nolan has been on twitter today so I'm just guessing his phone is messed up, and not his eye.

I suspect he had a thorough eye exam today at the Duke Eye Center by the team ophthalmologist and had his pupils dilated as part of this exam. You all know how hard it is to see up close (read) when your pupils are dilated.

PADukeMom
02-14-2011, 07:18 PM
That eye injury took 5 years off my life.

BD80
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Chris Collins was on David Glenn's show and said that Nolan's eye was much better today. He didn't elaborate much more than that. ...

So he's looking good?

Sorry, eye couldn't resist.

Should we keep an eye out for developments?

MarkD83
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
So he's looking good?

Sorry, eye couldn't resist.

Should we keep an eye out for developments?

This "toe"tally uncalled for.

AZLA
02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Tell me about it. After what happened to Jon, if Nolan ended up with a serious eye injury, I would demand Nike design modernized goggles, replete with Duke logos and make it mandatory for all Duke players to wear in a game. Even the fans and staff!

muzikfrk75
02-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Jake hooping!!

Well he's watching Kansas-KState game apparently...lol...

UrinalCake
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
This "toe"tally uncalled for.

Please do not make the mods create a "Nolan Smith Eye Puns" thread!

Lord Ash
02-14-2011, 10:33 PM
The Jon injury really made me nervous during the game when Nolan first got hit.

Greg_Newton
02-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Please do not make the mods create a "Nolan Smith Eye Puns" thread!

Amen. But hopefully this will all be over before that's necessary... sounds like the coaches are optometric that Nolan will not be affected by this partocular injury!

diveonthefloor
02-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Nolan is fine....probably time to think about locking this thread.

BD80
02-14-2011, 11:10 PM

All in favor say: "eye."

Andre Buckner Fan
02-14-2011, 11:13 PM

I like your "oversight" on the thread.

moonpie23
02-15-2011, 12:26 AM
i can see how this would get out of hand

Indoor66
02-15-2011, 07:52 AM
This is no time for eyedle comments. It is a toetally serious matter - though it eyepears to by under control.

Reilly
02-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Please don't be a bunch of eyediots about this ....

JBDuke
02-15-2011, 08:12 AM
For those that don't follow Nolan's tweets, after an expression of concern from a fellow tweeter about the tweet that started this thread, Nolan responded that he was fine - he'd just had his eyes dilated by the doctor today, which is why he wouldn't be reading much.

I think that's enough of this thread, as it seems to be headed downhill quickly.