PDA

View Full Version : Travel schedule to Charlottesville?

Reilly
02-14-2011, 08:30 AM
When will the team make the trip to C'ville and by what means? Must be tiring to leave out of south Florida late Sunday night, get back to Durham late. Will they turn around and then bus to C'ville on Tuesday evening? Go up on Wednesday? They wouldn't fly, would they?

moonpie23
02-14-2011, 08:45 AM
trust me when i say that, they are around 21 years old and rolling like rock stars.....they are having the times of their lives....

they're fine...

Reilly
02-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I do trust you that they are fine. That still doesn't answer my questions of when the team will depart for C'ville and via what method so if anybody has light to shed on those questions, please post.

-bdbd
02-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I do trust you that they are fine. That still doesn't answer my questions of when the team will depart for C'ville and via what method so if anybody has light to shed on those questions, please post.

I know that USED to be a bus ride many years ago. I don't know about now, but Charlottesville does have an OK airport.

There was a famous story about Dean Smith about 20 years ago being upset after a NC loss at UVA and wanting to drive back on his own, away from the team bus. He got caught speeding in rural VA, in the middle of the night IIRC.

Reilly
02-14-2011, 10:04 AM
I don't believe Dean made the decision to drive due to the loss ... he wouldn't have had his car with him if that's when he made the decision. I recall it being in Amherst County on Rte 29, I believe, but not positive. Also recall copies of the citation/public record being passed out at an ACC tournament game.

PumpkinFunk
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
When will the team make the trip to C'ville and by what means? Must be tiring to leave out of south Florida late Sunday night, get back to Durham late. Will they turn around and then bus to C'ville on Tuesday evening? Go up on Wednesday? They wouldn't fly, would they?

I've got a friend who's a manager, and so I know that they leave the day before the game, every time. Not sure if they bus or fly up to Cville, though.

Bluedog
02-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I've got a friend who's a manager, and so I know that they leave the day before the game, every time. Not sure if they bus or fly up to Cville, though.

I really don't understand how they get school work done/are prepared for exams after missing so much class. I'm not saying this as a negative thing at all, by the way. They must have some MAJOR time management skills. Boggles my mind really. No way I could have survived Duke with the time constraints/mental and physical exertion they exert on the court so often. Although I probably would have taken easier courses. :D But seriously, I'm ridiculously impressed with what most of these student-athletes do from a time management perspective.

DukieTiger
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure those time management skills are enforced upon them as freshmen (study halls, etc) and they gradually get more freedom as upperclassmen to be responsible for their own schedules. That's my perception of it at least.

Nonetheless, it's always impressive to see someone be successful as a true student-athlete.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I really don't understand how they get school work done/are prepared for exams after missing so much class. I'm not saying this as a negative thing at all, by the way. They must have some MAJOR time management skills. Boggles my mind really. No way I could have survived Duke with the time constraints/mental and physical exertion they exert on the court so often. Although I probably would have taken easier courses. :D But seriously, I'm ridiculously impressed with what most of these student-athletes do from a time management perspective.
A lot of work takes place during their travel time. The managers face similar pressures.

sagegrouse
02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
To the tune of "A Whole New World"

Char-lottes-ville
A dreary place I never knew
A bus ride here
It sure is clear
That now I'm in the John Paul place of Hoos
Now I'm in the John Paul place of Hoos

sagegrouse
'Apologies to all'

PumpkinFunk
02-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure those time management skills are enforced upon them as freshmen (study halls, etc) and they gradually get more freedom as upperclassmen to be responsible for their own schedules. That's my perception of it at least.

Nonetheless, it's always impressive to see someone be successful as a true student-athlete.

Yeah - they have to attend a ton of hours of mandatory study hall every week, regardless of what varsity sport they play and regardless of what year they are. They make sure that time to get work done is built into their schedules on the road for most sports, too. Athletics is very much on top of things for the athletes. The managers are a different story altogether, but they're all very much on top of classes and school work and whatever other extracurricular activities they have going on.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I have been to UVA for games. The new arena is so nice!!!

The Team used to take the bus!

I know they would take the bus to VaTech. Because, I have followed the bus back down the mountain. And hit snow flurries, several times.

Not a bad drive at all, from around Duke or the Triangle to Cville aka HOOVILLE...hehe

Post it when you find out!!!

loran16
02-14-2011, 12:41 PM

This is correct...I remember during Nolan's tour of the Duke Athletics facilities during the ESPNU special that Nolan pointed to the three frosh who were in the academic center at the time and pointed out that Frosh have a requirement of time in the building for doing work but that by Senior year, there were no requirements.

El_Diablo
02-14-2011, 01:02 PM

I would, but I don't like to enable stalkers.

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Stalkers on the DBR forum. NO.... do we have Tarhole Stalkers??

I think the drive from Duke campus to HooVille is about 3.5 hours. Duke generally travels on the big white bus (Champion bus, I think).

But a flight, would be better for the team. Quicker anyway!!

DevilWearsPrada
02-14-2011, 02:56 PM

THE BAND does a great job PumpFunk!!!

And I loved how you guys drowned out the TarHole Chants from their fans, wed night!!!! My ears rang for 2 days after the Duke Unc game. GOOD job for the band! You were excellent!

Whether, Duke flies or drives.......... those Blue Devils will show up in HooVille aka Cville.