PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Anderson - Class of 2012 recruit

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Coach K informed Coach Hurley, who recently won his 1000th game, that Duke will begin recruiting St Anthony PG Kyle Anderson. Anderson is the top rated PG according to Rivals. He is very skilled for 6'8" with great passing ability. He reminds me of Jalen Rose.

Here is a write up from St. Anthony's site (http://stanthony.powermediallc.org/2011/02/07/duke-begins-recruiting-anderson/)

Since Duke is now officially recruiting Kyle, I thought he should deserve his own thread.

I love this kid's game

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Videos of this stud:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=293Ta1KRzvc&feature=related (check out the play he makes starting at 1:10 of the video. Are you freaking kidding me?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9CCWmRi3xg&feature=related

taiw93
02-13-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm not sure which position he'll play in college, but if he does indeed play the point, he'll be the tallest PG I've seen since Shaun Livingston. Though Livingston never did get the chance to play for Duke, I'd imagine such a tall PG would play a very interesting role in K's system, since K doesn't really believe in "positions" per se and champions versatility (which is pretty much Anderson's middle name). I really do hope we get this kid - he would be so fun to watch in a Duke uni.

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm not sure which position he'll play in college, but if he does indeed play the point, he'll be the tallest PG I've seen since Shaun Livingston. Though Livingston never did get the chance to play for Duke, I'd imagine such a tall PG would play a very interesting role in K's system, since K doesn't really believe in "positions" per se and champions versatility (which is pretty much Anderson's middle name). I really do hope we get this kid - he would be so fun to watch in a Duke uni.

Me, too, brother. Unfortunately there is a little bit of a scholarship crunch. So Duke can only nab either Shabazz or Anderson but not both since we need to save a schollie for a big like Landen Lucas.

I have to say. Between Shabazz and Anderson, I would take Anderson. I know that's an unpopular opinion but his versatility would be perfect for Duke. And I think he'd be a 3-4 year player, to boot.

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/02/05/duke-recruiting-kyle-anderson/

“It’s an honor to be noticed by Duke’s staff,” Anderson said Saturday night at halftime of the UConn-Seton Hall game. “Coach K is a Hall of Fame coach. Not a lot of people get to go from Hall of Famer to Hall of Famer, so that’s pretty exciting.” He added: “I like Duke. I could see myself going there.”

Getting giddy

Starter
02-13-2011, 04:34 AM
I watched Kyle play today for St. Anthony's against Hotchkiss. Just to be clear, I can't possibly see him playing point guard at the college level, though he is a very, very good passer. I just don't think his handle is good enough for that, he'll be more of a 3. They ran almost everything through him at the high post, and he facilitated very well. He's not very fast, but his movements are smooth and precise and he can shoot. He needs major strength work, but who doesn't as a junior? (Besides Justin Anderson of Montrose Christian, who's totally ripped.)

It's funny, St. Anthony's, despite being No. 2 in the nation and undefeated, didn't really look like even close to that level. They won, but they're basically a two-man team with Kyle and Myles Mack. If they had played St. Pat's today, they probably would have gotten waxed.

Regardless, I do think Kyle would be a solid long-term asset as he grows into his body and gets stronger, but based on what I've seen and heard online of Shabazz Muhammad, I'd probably have to pick Muhammad over him -- at least in terms of a better chance for a relatively immediate impact.

Starter
02-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Me, too, brother. Unfortunately there is a little bit of a scholarship crunch. So Duke can only nab either Shabazz or Anderson but not both since we need to save a schollie for a big like Landen Lucas.

By the way, Lucas -- much like the rest of Findlay -- was awful today at the Primetime Shootout. Montrose destroyed them. I think Kabongo finished with something like four points and was completely dominated by Tyrone Johnson (going to Nova). Lucas was practically invisible and didn't score. I'm hoping to see better results in today's game.

JohnGalt
02-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Regardless, I do think Kyle would be a long-term asset as he grows into his body and gets stronger, but based on what I've seen and heard online of Shabazz Muhammad, there's no way I'd pick Kyle over him -- at least if we're hoping for any sort of relatively immediate impact.

Thanks for the write-up. I think the bolded phrase is an important point. From what I've gleaned it seems he can play anywhere from the 1 to the 3 with maybe spot minutes as a face-up 4 (although as I write this I see Scout has him listed as a 4). You seem to indicate that he won't be prepared to play the 1 so let's assume that's true and he's best suited for either the 2, 3, or 4. In 2012, we'll [more than likely] have:

- Sr - Seth - 2
- Sr - Andre - 2/3
- Sr - Kelly - 3/4
- So - Mike G - 2/3
- Jr - Josh - 3/4

And already in 2012, we have Murphy as a 3/4 and Rasheed as a 2/3, both of whom project higher than Kyle as high school recruits...which can certainly change and could certainly be wrong to begin with...but for the time being, that's how it's listed.

It's also more than likely Austin Rivers will have moved on, but it's worth mentioning there is at least an outside chance that he (and all of the associated PT he'll warrant) is still around.

Either way, that's a pretty stacked backcourt to break into...pretty loaded at the the 2/3 spot with both experience and talent. If we could bring a kid with the skill set that Kyle brings and the size to go along with it - especially if he projects as a 3-4 year kid - I say bring him on. It's hard for me to say that I would "rather" have him than Bazz, but with the kids we'll have onboard at that point, I think Kyle may end up filling a bigger need than Bazz would fill.

Don't get me wrong: Bazz, if you're reading this, we'd love to have you!

I just think that, ultimately, Kyle may provide a more important piece to the puzzle.

DUKIE V(A)
02-13-2011, 06:55 AM
KA looks like a player who looks to and does make his teammates better. Great looking passer. When guarded down low by smaller opponents, we uses his size to his advantage and has really smooth, effortless looking moves. He does not look the quickest or the fastest, but he uses his body and length extremely well. He has nice body control, especially for a 6'7" guy. KA also sees the court and passes well to open players. Could be a nightmare matchup if he plays "guard" at Duke or elsewhere. Offensively he can take players inside and he to be a plus help defender and tough to shot over. If I were a big man or a great shooter, I want this guy on my team. You know if you get open, he will get the ball in great scoring position. His passes are on point. If I were Tony Parker, I know I would want KA on my team and his addition would be a great selling point for me.

If it works out that KA comes to Duke, it would seem to be a great get. I know I would be very excited as a fan. Not flashy, just effective. It's rare to see great high school players who make their teammates so much better. Great for team chemistry and actual on the court play.

gam7
02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the write-up. I think the bolded phrase is an important point. From what I've gleaned it seems he can play anywhere from the 1 to the 3 with maybe spot minutes as a face-up 4 (although as I write this I see Scout has him listed as a 4). You seem to indicate that he won't be prepared to play the 1 so let's assume that's true and he's best suited for either the 2, 3, or 4. In 2012, we'll [more than likely] have:

- Sr - Seth - 2
- Sr - Andre - 2/3
- Sr - Kelly - 3/4
- So - Mike G - 2/3
- Jr - Josh - 3/4

And already in 2012, we have Murphy as a 3/4 and Rasheed as a 2/3, both of whom project higher than Kyle as high school recruits...which can certainly change and could certainly be wrong to begin with...but for the time being, that's how it's listed.

It's also more than likely Austin Rivers will have moved on, but it's worth mentioning there is at least an outside chance that he (and all of the associated PT he'll warrant) is still around.

Either way, that's a pretty stacked backcourt to break into...pretty loaded at the the 2/3 spot with both experience and talent. If we could bring a kid with the skill set that Kyle brings and the size to go along with it - especially if he projects as a 3-4 year kid - I say bring him on. It's hard for me to say that I would "rather" have him than Bazz, but with the kids we'll have onboard at that point, I think Kyle may end up filling a bigger need than Bazz would fill.

Don't get me wrong: Bazz, if you're reading this, we'd love to have you!

I just think that, ultimately, Kyle may provide a more important piece to the puzzle.

Here's how I would have listed the positions of the guys we'll have in 2012:

- Sr - Seth - 1/2
- Sr - Andre - 3
- Sr - Kelly - 4/5
- So - Mike G - 3
- Jr - Josh - 4
- Fr - Murphy - 3/4
- Fr - Rasheed - 1/2

In other words, I think there is definitely a niche that Shabazz would fill as a 2/3. Even if Austin comes back for a second year (which he may have to do depending on what emerges from the new CBA), Shabazz would add a lot.

As for Kyle, I suspect Coach K is intrigued by the prospect of coaching a guy like him. For a coach who has seen pretty much everything, Coach K might see Kyle as a means of getting creative in a way that he never has before. It just opens up a whole untapped world of possibilities. It would be special to see how Coach K would experiment and use him. Obviously, we missed out on seeing what he would have done with Livingston. But Kyle looks like a very different player than Livingston to me. Livingston was a tall point guard. There wasn't really a question about what position he would play in college. Also, in what little I have seen, Livingston was noticeably more explosive than Kyle. Regardless, it will be fun to see how all of this stuff shakes out.

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
I know the recruiting sites can't agree on where to rank Anderson.

My own personal take of his game aligns most closely with the Rivals rankings, which have him ranked #5 overall: http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2012

5 may be too high, but I think he's a big-time player.

-bdbd
02-13-2011, 12:46 PM

I think that if you want a pretty good approximation of how K would employ a "point forward" then look back to the tapes from the early 90's (1992?). Our PG, Hurley I think, went down (broken foot?) for a few weeks mid-season, just as we were getting ready to play Shaq and LSU at their place, I believe, and Grant Hill stepped in to take over most (but not all) of the "point" duties. So there's your former Duke 6'8" "point..."

BTW, Hill was incredibly successful and they beat LSU (and several others) handily.

FireOgilvie
02-13-2011, 01:16 PM
He's certainly a very good passer, but Anderson moves like he has bricks strapped to his feet haha. Even Singler has trouble getting his shot off when he puts the ball on the floor in the ACC.

Also, Anderson's season 3 pt percentage was/is 12% (3 for 25) through 19 games. Even if Shabazz passes on Duke, my personal preference would be going after another big man. We're already loaded at the 3 for the future (Gbinije, Alex Murphy). I trust Coach K on this one, but I just don't see it.

BD80
02-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Could this mean that Coach K is finally willing to embrace zone defense and the Princeton offense?

My keyboard fought me in typing that!

dyemeduke
02-13-2011, 02:06 PM
He's certainly a very good passer, but Anderson moves like he has bricks strapped to his feet haha. Even Singler has trouble getting his shot off when he puts the ball on the floor in the ACC.

Also, Anderson's season 3 pt percentage was/is 12% (3 for 25) through 19 games. Even if Shabazz passes on Duke, my personal preference would be going after another big man. We're already loaded at the 3 for the future (Gbinije, Alex Murphy). I trust Coach K on this one, but I just don't see it.

Exactly...Livingston had handles and better quickness. This guy seems smooth, but I'm not that sold on him. However, if Coach K thinks he deserves a scholly, then great.

Not to jack the thread, but I don't understand why we're looking at him after locking two wing type players. If you're going to go after another outside guy, then why not Justin Anderson? I see Justin being a 3-4 year guy with freakish athleticism. He can be a great glue guy for four years...I'd love to nab him over Kyle Anderson AND Bazz (who is 1/2 and done).

MChambers
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Could this mean that Coach K is finally willing to embrace zone defense and the Princeton offense?

My keyboard fought me in typing that!
Well, we know that Coach K adapts his team's style of play to his players, so maybe. But if he didn't play zone last year, I doubt he ever will. And I don't want to watch Duke playing a Princeton offense, ever.:)

Troublemaker
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM

Kyle Singler doesn't have a point guard's handle, though. Theoretically, Anderson should be a very tough matchup even without great lateral quickness. With his handle, he should be able to shake most 6'5" - 6'8" defenders off the dribble, and he can also post up smaller defenders. That's how St. Anthony's and Coach Hurley are using him right now. Anderson's a guy who will force defenses to collapse to him and then find the open man. I do agree he needs to improve his outside shot but I'm very intrigued by a 6'8" guy with point guard skills. Very unique and potentially very valuable. Doubly so if one has doubts about Quinn Cook's effectiveness at the college level.

rotogod00
02-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Blurb about Anderson (aka "Mr. Versatility") at the bottom of this write-up on the recently held Primetime Shootout in Jersey:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=6124514

Starter
02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Kyle Singler doesn't have a point guard's handle, though. Theoretically, Anderson should be a very tough matchup even without great lateral quickness. ... I do agree he needs to improve his outside shot but I'm very intrigued by a 6'8" guy with point guard skills.

Singler has a world more quickness than Anderson, and even he has trouble taking guys off the bounce. And I'm telling you, Anderson doesn't really have point guard skills. For example, he has four threes all year and Saturday's game broke a string of eight straight games without an assist.

That said, I wouldn't be 100% against having him as a project. He kind of reminds me of fellow St. Anthony's alum Terrence Roberts in terms of his inside game and the way he carries himself, he just needs to work on his strength. But I second whoever said we should be taking a long look at Montrose's Justin Anderson. He's talented, jacked and has an infectious enthusiasm for the game.

superdave
03-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Another article from 2/28 (http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-0228/kyle-anderson-recruiting-update-duke-reaches-out/)on Kyle Anderson that mentions Duke.

Pertinent excerpts here....

One of the coaches that might be in attendance is Coach Mike Krzyzewski of Duke. It has been reported that the Blue Devils have recently gotten involved in the race for Anderson, however Kyle Anderson Sr. has not heard from anyone on the Duke staff himself to this point.

“Coach K has contacted Coach (Bob) Hurley about Lil’ Kyle and I am sure he expressed his level of interest to coach, with that said, I have not heard from them yet. So, I am not sure what their level of interest is at this point. “

While Duke has entered the race, Kyle Sr. feels like they’ll be trimming down Kyle’s immense list at some point soon, rather than adding new schools.

airowe
03-01-2011, 09:29 PM
I doubt this goes anywhere...

loldevilz
03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
I know why I'm excited about Kyle Anderson: He's a NEW JERSEY POINT GUARD!

Starter
03-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I didn't make it to Rutgers last night, but St. Anthony's upset St. Patrick (as much as a No. 2 beating a No. 1 can be) in probably the biggest high school game in NJ history. Never put anything past Bob Hurley, I guess, since his team didn't impress me when I saw them live. But Kyle Anderson apparently had a big-time game.

Here's (http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/boysbasketball/index.ssf/2011/03/politi_st_anthony_coach_bob_hurley_aided_by_a_time out_scores_signature_win.html) a great article on Hurley.

Here's (http://highschoolsports.nj.com/news/article/-5615102150335334803/big-fourth-quarter-keys-no-2-st-anthony-past-no-1-st-patrick-62-45/) the game story. Anderson had 11 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists matched up with Mike Gilchrist.